This fucking movie

So this movie is a straight up fucking copy of All you Need is Kill. Prove me wrong.

I'm pretty sure thats because its literally an adaptation of it.

Yeah, adaptations often do that.

Uhm, we won't because that's exactly what it was supposed to be in the first place?

>responding to obvious bait
Come on, man.

If you're read All you Need is Kill, you would know that's not true. In fact, probably only like 10% is the same.

I don't think anyone is denying that?

both heroes survive in the movie

also, there's no Tom Cruise in the manga

you'll also probably be disappointed to note that the GITS the movie will be adapted from a manga named GITS

I miss rita
why did she have to die man
also she was much better in the manga

they add some sexual tension some shitty humor and a different ending because we cant have mc turning into a psycopath, its more like a 50% desu

Meh, Japan ripped off the Matrix when they made Ghost in the Shell

>OP's face when making his thread

I wanted this movie to be a huge success
to open up more western adaptations of anime/manga both animated and live
with the huge budgets western studios and production companies have we could have seen some great shit

pic not related

The Lion King is a rip off of Kimba

I just watch this movie today, awesome moving

absolute kino

you realize the stories for most of disneys best works existed previously right

>prove me wrong

Um okay.
Your whole life is wrong.

if only Hollywood takes this kind of balanced artistic liberty, instead of many cringy adaptions. Have naturally acted characters in a film and just play at the premise, and no one complains.

Edge of Tomorrow is how they should have done the GITS adaption. At least they had the sense enough not to have Crackers running around with nip names

And look what you gave him, I'd be laughing my ass off now.

such a hot thing to say

Weird to see people actually not shit talk an adaptation of something Japanese.

I enjoyed the movie, shit was neat.

>in the manga
Out of curiosity, has anyone read the light novel? Or do most people only read the manga?
Thought the book was pretty good, didn't have much interest to seek out the manga.

yeah

Is the movie worth watching? I have the book* Not the greatest thing ever, but I enjoyed reading it. Never seen the movie though. I'm fine with the idea of replacing a 19 year old jap kid with Tom Cruise, but I've heard it has a happy ending which I feels sorta shits on the book.

*(Sadly I got it after the movie was announced so it has the wrong title and a picture of Tom Cruise on the cover)

I recently watched it, after deciding if I should or not. It was pretty guud. Of course, I didn't expect it to be loyal to its source.
I just wanted to see her but well, i'd watch it again sometime

My grandpa got me the LN before we watched the movie together but I never read it.

hahaha
yeah, I'd recommend it. I liked the ending, but
I thought tom would die, instead of rita which happened to not happen, so I'm okay with it.

Which Rita is this? The manga one?

this is rita from the manga

The LN is pretty ok except for the end.

>Or do most people only read the manga?
I haven't read anyone outside Cred Forums saying that the movie was an adaptation of a LN, instead everybody thinks it's a manga adaptation.

So, this movie is a straight up fucking copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Prove me wrong.

I liked how Rita is well-built in the movie instead of looking like a little girl.

>See for Cranston
>Dies 1/4 of the way in
Fucking rused

>Cranston looks like fun. I hope the monsters are cool
>It's the fucking Blandy McBlandguy show starring Kickass as Blandy
Should have just followed the whispering Nip after Cranston got killed

I read the LN because I heard there was a movie being made about an LN. Turns out the LN is sci-fi, so it's not like it mattered much aside from the cute mechanic and taking place in Japan. I've read the manga too then I saw the movie like years later. The manga is totally different from what I had in mind, much more cuter which isn't bad, hell even the monster whatever thing was different in my mind. I thought it would be like a frog that shot spikes from its mouth, since that's the image the book gave me, but it turned out to be a sea urchin.

Shasta a cute

I had fun watching it, go for it.

I thought it was a homage to kaiju movies in general

>all those wink-wink animu references
>main girl is japanese for no reason
>characters talking in japanese for no reason

What a terrible weeb cringefest that was

i wish i had a grandpa has cool as yours, user

I was hoping that the movie would have more focus on rookie soldier that becomes jadded murder machine

but other then that one scene with him not putting his helmet on and asking for ammo, I didn't get the same feeling

Well, to be fair, it's because it's Tom Cruise man, the guy is badass in other movies already, but in the film, he's a total shit in the beginning. It's all how you perceive the actor, I guess.

It was truly awful. I have no idea why I hear so much praise for this shitfest.

Who was Asuka and who was Rei?

Instead of a rookie, it's a top brass kind of guy who is actually a kinda shit solider, then becomes not so shit.

It's Hollywood. After DBE, I expect nothing from Hollywood trying to adapt everything to a T. Thankfully this movie worked better with it's 'loose' adaptation. Also helps to turn your brain off and watch it like a transformers movie.

Mako was Rei. The Australian son was Asuka.

That's the face of a battle hardened killer machine.

I bet she's a real battle-hardened killer machine in bed

Fucking Hollywood is going to steal ghost in the shell now

>turn your brain off and watch it like a transformers movie
I tried this, but the plot was too dumb even for me, and I was able to ride out VVV and GC with no problems.
Why didn't they just spawncamp the Kaiju?
Why did they think building walls would do anything useful? Once the walls were breached, you'd have to deal with all the buildup in one go.
How was fisting the Kaiju more effective than using large caliber piercing rounds?
Why didn't the Kaiju zerg-rush once they found out that humans had no effective method of stopping them?
Why did they Kaiju absurdly obey that math formula at all?
How did the MC not have massive repercussions after having his drifting partner ripped out of the seat?
Everything about drifting in general.
The fucking sword.

That movie was so bad I actually typed this out. I think I enjoy hating it at this point. The only thing I can say positively about this move was that it looked nice.

>Also helps to turn your brain off and watch it like a transformers movie.

You need goddamn lobotomy to watch transformers movies though

>main girl is japanese for no reason
>characters talking in japanese for no reason
Does there need to be a specific reason for a character to be Japanese? I'll lay it out for you, though.
>kaiju attacks japan
>jaeger stops kaiju
>orphaned japanese girl at scene
>jaeger pilot feels bad and adopts girl
>jaeger pilot becomes leader of all jaegers
>adopted daughter of jaeger leader heavily involved with father's work
>wants to be a jaeger pilot too
BOOM. Not even hard to make up.

And why do they speak Japanese? Well, I don't know why Becket does, only that I can assume he took sword training of some sort from a Japanese source. That's a stretch. Pentecost and Mori is easy, though; it's her native language and he learned it to communicate better with her. And people who speak a common language often do so, especially if they think it'll afford them a measure of privacy.

Thanks for posting this user. I've been meaning to save this b8 image to my phone for a while now.

You're trying to reason it in-universe. But there was no real reason for the character to be Japanese and talk in a foreign language in an American movie, other than to pull weebs into the theaters.

I actually never knew Edge of Tomorrow was an adaptation of a Japanese manga/LN before this thread. Now that I do though, I totally see that.

Ready for the next western live-action adaptation Cred Forums?

Your reasoning is extremely narrow in scope. If nothing else, having Japanese characters speak Japanese is an homage to Japanese kaiju movies, which Paicific Rim is pretty much all about.
Was the Russians and Chinese speaking in their native language a ploy to pull in the Slavaboos and Chinaboos? Maybe the guys the writing the story just like people from other countries and not all Americans. And if there's one thing people from other countries do well it's being able to speak a language that's not English.

Thank you for being one of the few people on this shithole of a board that has some sense.

>which Paicific Rim is pretty much all about.

Yes, a shitty weeb film to bait weebs into the theaters, as said. You don't need to explain it again.

It probably will be something totally different, maybe it will turn out to be decent.

I mean, in OP we already have a movie that took a Japanese story with heavily Japanese concepts like powered suits and set it in Europe with fully western characters, and didn't need to remind you "we watch annie-may too xD" every 30 seconds to captivate its viewers. The nerds in the audience could still pick up the references and derive some extra value from the film despite the subtlety.

Powered suits aren't heavily Japanese in concept. Robert Heinlein wrote about powered suits of armor in Starship Troopers, published in 1959. The actual concept goes at least as far back as 1890 when a Russian actually built a compressed-gas-powered exoskeleton.
There's not subtlety in Live Die Repeat. The US army has been working on powered exoskeletons for soldiers since at least 1960. It's called the Hardiman and it was developed by General Electric. Go look it up.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Guaranteed replies: The Post

You can make some stupid argument about how American movies should only star American characters and only be set in America and only feature American culture now. It's cool, you totally don't look like a complete moron. Just say whatever completely fucking retarded thing is on your mind.

I know you're upset, but you don't need to make up lies to argue against me. You can just pour out your bitterness and butthurt without any point, like everybody else.

This only became success because of the name Tom Cruise

>they add some sexual tension some shitty humor and a different ending

Yep, it's Hollywood

Why is there another GITS adaptation when Matrix exists?

Too many white people

But that is your argument, right? That because it was an American movie, there's no logical reason to include Japanese characters or Japanese culture, unless they're pandering to people who like Japanese culture?
That's not a fucking retarded position at all. You sure got me, son.

All the Asians were holding the line on the Eastern Front.

Because God forbid that people speak their native languages right?

I know this is bait but you can't be this stupid can you user?

If memory serves, Heinleins book is a direct inspiration for Mobile Suit Gundam.

I'm not the one trying to justify a literal rei-clone in a burger blockbuster with "multiculturalism" while spamming 3D. How about killing yourself now, while you still have some face to save, like the Japanese you idolize.

>Because God forbid that people speak their native languages right?

You just don't get it. God didn't tell the scriptwriters to include a Japanese character and demand that she speak Japanese in the film. No, the scriptwriters decided to include a Japanese character and have her speak Japanese with English-speaking characters, despite speaking fluent English herself, just to seem rad to dumb weeaboos like you. Did the Russians speak a word of Russian in the movie? Did the Chinese start randomly blabber in Chinese? Even when the characters went to Hong Kong, did anybody there talk to them in Chinese? That didn't matter, because film-makers knew their audience.

>also, there's no Tom Cruise in the manga

So you're saying the movie adaptation actually is an improvement.

REROADO REROADO REROADO

Edge of Tomorrow was good, don't be a fag.

Also, there is literally nothing wrong with Tom Cruise as an actor.

>literal rei-clone

Rei
>actual clone (good pun there, user)
>teenager
>extremely introverted
>quiet
>little ego
>fights for Gendou's sake

Mako
>not a clone
>adult
>doesn't seem to be introverted
>talks plenty
>her ego gets the best of her at times
>fights to avenge her family

Mako isn't even a figurative Rei-clone.

Never said its not good tho and just like what i said the movie became success because of how good is Tom here.

>Did the Russians speak a word of Russian in the movie?
Yes, they did.

>Did the Chinese start randomly blabber in Chinese?
Yes, they did.

>Even when the characters went to Hong Kong, did anybody there talk to them in Chinese?
Not to any of the characters that didn't speak Chinese.

Basically, we've just confirmed that you didn't watch the movie and you are, in fact, a huge fucking faggot. GOOD JOB! WELL DONE!

Come on back, user. Tell us again about how right your opinions are while using faulty logic and damage controlling with accusations of posting 3D.
I'm thoroughly enjoying calling you a fucking retard over and over again.

It had a shit ending though.
>Tom Cruise is now a Time wizard
Way the go, hollywood.

It isn't. It has big robots but it's really a mix of Independence Day and the 1998 Godzilla.

Rita is my waifu

I actually enjoyed Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow,

I'm not going to call them master pieces or works of art or anything. They're just well-done, easily digestable quality Hollywood movies that you watch, enjoy, then forget about after.

Nothing wrong with that.
Don't get offended and equate movies like this to garbage just because it's not to the standards you're used to in your animus and mangos.

This. There is a lot wrong with Pacific Rim, even more than Live Die Repeat I think.
If a giant robot can punch a kaiju to death, why not giant missiles or cannons? Gipsy Danger has a plasma cannon that just wrecks kaiju; why not set up coastal defense plasma cannons instead of fielding giant robots? Why not set up a network of rail guns that shoot anything as soon as it comes out of the Breach? Why send in only two Jaegers to fight two of the biggest kaiju ever when you have four on standby? How the fuck can Gipsy Danger be analog and what does that have to do with nuclear power?! WE NEVER GOT TO SEE CHERNO ALPHA USE THE TESLA PUNCH!

I still like the movie. It looks awesome. It has giant robots. It FEELS good.

This is what I think Evangelion really did the best. You felt like humanity was actually doing everything they could to fight the Angels, and barely winning.

Pacific Rim was just robots wrecking kaiju and some guy died once.

Tom Cruise should be in Ghost in the Shell.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by the movie?

Also, Tom Cruise was pretty good.

>I tried this
Then you're clearly autistic.

>Why didn't they just spawncamp the Kaiju?
Because the Kaiju would still wreck them and Jaegers aren't meant to fight under water.

>Why did they think building walls would do anything useful?
Retarded politicians and billionaires doing retarded things.

>How was fisting the Kaiju more effective than using large caliber piercing rounds?
It isn't, but it stops them from leaking acid everywhere.

>Why didn't the Kaiju zerg-rush once they found out that humans had no effective method of stopping them?
They had to manufacture the kaiju just like the humans. They also upgraded their kaiju over time just like the jaegers.

>How did the MC not have massive repercussions after having his drifting partner ripped out of the seat?
Because muh special main character.

Wow OP tell me more
Is 2+2=4?

I would probably be trapped in the loop forever, because I would just keep raping her over and over without mercy

You'll feel tired of it someday

They should've just let Kitano direct it.

quick Cred Forums think of a plot for the sequel (yes there'll be a sequel)

Impossible. It's actually better than it since it didn't do the needlessly grimderp ending.

I cant not see this as a stupid face

Tom Cruise > LN/manga Kenji
And the ending had to be changed since there was no adequate way to insert the information needed for the bullshit asspull ending the LN had, nevermind the fact the mimic were significantly changed since you can't fit several volumes of stuff into a movie and stay coherent.

He could be the major and I wouldn't even care because I know I would be amaze by what he would do with that role.

The happy ending felt well deserved.

Worst bait i have seen

I want OAV from the mangos tho.

I liked the 98' one. This bullshit about treating ancient monsters as saviors is not for me.

>kinda shit solider
He was not kinda shit, hew as just a PR guy who got cocky and ended up getting buttfucked for it

>He was not kinda shit
He was the definition of a shit soldier. He joined ROTC (or was it JROTC?) and took an office job for the army. He was a PR guy but still held rank as an officer of the army.

To see that evolution to badass was really well done and Cruise played it beautifully

Thats what I meant when I said he was just a PR guy, yeah