Is there anyone in the anime industry who is currently living that can be considered an auteur?

Is there anyone in the anime industry who is currently living that can be considered an auteur?

Oshii doesn't do animation anymore and Miyazaki retired, Anno's movies aren't stylistically distinct enough from your average "dramatic action anime with CGI effects" to qualify... I guess not.

Yamakan

I have no doubt a lot of people could do it, but it's much harder to get funding for those projects.

Ikuhara

masaaki yuasa?

Oshii

Shinichiro Watanabe

Yes, plenty. Auteur isn't even a particularly high form of praise when it's not being used as a buzzword.

>Anno's movies aren't stylistically distinct enough from your average "dramatic action anime with CGI effects" to qualify
What? The only non-recap movie Anno's even directed is EoE.

>Anno's movies aren't stylistically distinct enough from your average
It's a bit silly to judge Anno based on movies when the only anime movies he's directed are related to Evangelion. Also Tsurumaki and Masayuki direct the Rebuilds. If you looks at his shows, Eva has a clear style and Kare Kano is a refinement of that style. If you want to see that style in live action film then Shin Gojira is also distinctly "Anno".

yuasa will save us

Doesn't matter if they're alive, most of them have already abandoned the anime industry to do their own thing. Like Anno and Oshii with their live action and Mitsuo Iso with his French movie.

me, lars von trier

Makoto Shinkai.

The person who realized keit-ai

Mostly adaptations so it doesn't fit the definition

Kawamori ofc.

Anno couldn't possibly direct a good movie because he'd run over budget before it could end