"I don't like this series, it's too episodic"

>"I don't like this series, it's too episodic"

Episodic series don't really work unless it's comedy so I agree to some extent.

>I don't like this series, it's constantly making reference to shit that happened in previous episodes which is too much for my slow underdeveloped brain
>Why isn't this a 4-koma?

Dumb frogposter.

What about slice of life?

In other words, it has no plot development or character development and every episode is a formulaic return to a status quo.

Episodic episodes can still have character development.

More importantly, whats wrong with static characters? Does every character need a traumatic backstory and a moment where they cut their hair for you to be invested?

Dumb frognigger

The problem with episodic is that it doesn't push the story forward and there is no progression.
This can become a big problem without strong characters.

It's all in hte execution, but most of them fail.

>I don't like this series, it's not episodic enough

90% of anime have garbage stories, especially ones that try to push it by having constant progression every episode without more episodic parts

It's just different taste in storytelling. It's like asking for a person's opinion on a cheeseburger when they don't like cheese. Unlike some of the other elements of the burger (tomatoes, pickles, lettuce), you can't remove the cheese because it's melted onto the burger. A person who doesn't like an episodic show is just like this. You shouldn't care about the opinion of people who don't like shows that are episodic because their gripe with the show is the very foundation of how it wants to tell its story.

They want complex, overarching plots that make them speculate over time and character growth that they can plot on a timeline. Episodic series don't promise that and even then, it usually occurs and displays itself very subtly and without the necessity of drama.

>They want complex, overarching plots that make them speculate over time and character growth that they can plot on a timeline.

except that every episodic series that isn't just 100 episodes of cute girls doing cute things does exactly this, it just doesn't beat you over the head with soap opera tier ON THAT DAY EVERYTHING CHANGED horseshit

That is exactly what I meant with the next sentence.

There's a real conflict between episodic and long-term storytelling in visual media these days. It's because previously, episodic stuff was a good idea for broadcast television. People wanted series where if they missed an episode, it didn't matter, and they could still watch next week without any issue. However in the age of the internet, people can catch up on television whenever. This means that long-term stories are becoming more popular, because they're more viable.

One isn't better than the other, it depends on what the goal of the series might be.

PATO PATO

>whats wrong with static characters
They are boring. More boring than my real life

Fuck you.

some of the most famous and iconic characters in all of anime are totally static ones

meanwhile every worst girl and annoyingly useless herbivore male MC has to go through an obnixious spurt of "character development" which does nothing but spray visual and audio diarrhea all over the screen and take time away from the more interesting parts of the show

I'm sorry that I don't want to watch an anime about people going to school and buying bread.

Episodic stories are fine if there is consistent character development that connects the episodes. Like Hidamari, even though it is very episodic you can clearly see the growth of characters throughout, whereas in some shows this doesn't apply. Sakura Trick comes to mind, characters and relationships regress constantly.

The reaction image was a hint, you moron.

dumb frog

are kino no tabi or mushishi about buying bread?

I strongly doubt that actually

DUCK DUCK?

>don't really work
For you.™
Shoo.

>some anons hasn't seen Princess Tutu.
For an example, that's how you make a masterpiece out of an episodic series.