Anno on Gundam (Origin vol 1):

Anno on Gundam (Origin vol 1):

>"I'm afraid the legacy of Gundam dwindled down to the mobile suits, in the form of plastic models as a business and military hobbyism. Even these mobile suits were summarized down to protagonist mecha, Gundam, so that friend and foe alike were all uniformly Gundams. One could say this was inevitable: the pivotal creation that made Gundam a classic and drives the franchise expansion to this day is, of course, the mobile suit, represented by the RX-78 Gundam, weapon bearing the elements of a character; and the way of the world is that characters are what ultimately remain with the audience. It's not a bad thing. I simply find it unfortunate that the Tale that enveloped the worldview and ideas on war presented in First Gundam ceased to function as anything more than device for the mobile suit fantasy."

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff
gwern.net/otaku
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You're asking Cred Forums questions about Gundam expecting not retarded answers or something?

This is not Cred Forums tough. There are some ok people here

>Is he right?
I don't care if he's right, he sounds like an Cred Forumsnon. He should make an account on Cred Forums and shitpost among us.

>There are some ok people here
You really dont believe that do you?

What I mean is that while Cred Forums can be shitty, it is not /r/anime or Cred Forums. It ok, just that. Ok.

here we go again

Metashits like you are the biggest retards.

Give us your opinion.

But Origin volume one had barely any mobile suit action, assuming he's referring to the OVA.

Gundam the Origin volume 1 is the source of the quote, his opinions are about the Gundam franchise as a whole.

Someone post that pic with everyone blowing the fuck out of Kira in SRW Z

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move you better double-check your sources before you insist that you're right.

The whole point of his quote was to hype the Origin manga as a return to the war/character-driven roots of Gundam.

>Is he right?
Anything Anno says is disqualified because he's the biggest hack in the industry.

He has gone full speed ahead in making his magnum opus, Evangelion, into a franchise that does nothing else but pander to otaku with moe characters.

He's basically saying all new Gundam series are shitty toy commercials while wanking the original series.

>He's basically saying all new Gundam series are shitty toy commercials while wanking the original series.

Reaching dangerous levels of hypocrisy here...

>He has gone full speed ahead in making his magnum opus, Evangelion, into a franchise that does nothing else but pander to otaku with moe characters
Having watched Evangelion for the first time just now and therefore not being blinded by nostalgia I agree with that.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has perfect pacing, I love the rough and handrawn animation style, the minimal and desaturated color palette, the soft contrast. I love the minimal animation, even the cheap-out-of-budget no-animation of the original. And I love how the story unfolds and constantly twists and turns and folds on itself, always taking you deeper in this world.

And then I tried to watch the first Evangelion Rebuild. It's flashy, HD with high production values but something is off. The pacing is wrong, the animation life-less (even the static frames of the original are more alive than the CGI) and I could go on. I just don't know, it just doesn't evoke me like the original did.

It's like the body (or part of it) of Evangelion is in the rebuild but the soul is long gone.

Came here to post this

>Anno aka irrelevant hack that has done jackshit in years
>Last thing he did was direct the worst Godzilla version so far
>Thinks his hot opinions matter

Third strike and OUT

His Godzilla was awesome and everyone loved it.

Hideaki Anno was warped by the success of Evangelion. From the start Anno was always an otaku, someone who'd spend his time adoring and admiring works of fiction, in particular idolized young girls and sci-fi robots. But just like an otaku, he's the type to get mad when other otaku don't share his taste. In an interview, Anno says that he is the type to "correct" people when they share their taste. So if someone saw one Planet of the Apes movie, Anno would be quick to explain to them which one they should be watching and liking - that was the example given.

When Evangelion became a success and along with it, Rei the most popular character in perhaps the industry, Anno was furious. Because his favorite character didn't make the cut and would always be second or worse.

Anno is now remaking the franchise to benefit his own favorite characters. That is why Rebuild has no soul of it's own, what you're seeing is Anno's own malice and hatred poured into Evangelion.

It's kind of right.
People do focus quite a lot on the mecha aspect of Gundam,
and this is what will remain in the minds of everybody.
Gundam is about Mecha.
That it was able to do something completely different at the time is not something most people remember or think about.
I don't think he is talking particularly about newer gundam entries or anything.
Still, Turn A remains the Gundam series story wise.

Turn A Gundam is the most interesting Gundam show in terms of themes and message. Using the Turn A to help with the animals or wash clothing should have been Tomino's final message for the franchise.

he's right. Tomino has said as much

I don't think there is anyone who hates gundam as much as Tomino does.

Yes, extremely so.
Just look at all the gundam series that reuse the exact same plot points.
He's stating the obvious.
If I see another 'neutral state main characters solve everything' plot I'll flip a tit.

>pander to otaku with moe
I'm really fucking sick of this otaku boogeyman, specially when Anno himself is an otaku.

Ironically Anno hates Turn A and considers everything Tomino made after Victory to be garbage.

Yeah, I know. He's an otaku that writes anime stories that please himself, that pander to himself - an otaku. Thus he panders to otaku with moe.
He's the equivalent of some idiot writing wish-fulfilment fanfics for himself. Except his name is Anno and he wrote the original.

Anno is someone I really want to meet one day. He seems like a genuinely cool guy in a lot of ways.

I dunno. I just finished rewatching Evangelion and now I feel strangely hollow.

>>>/ann/

What? This is more or less the official Cred Forums stance. Here's one for you though:
>>>/evageeks/

>Evageeks

Why did you have to mention that piece of shit. Now I am angry.

>Anno hates Turn A
Source?

There is nothing cool about Anno, unless you consider George Lucas a good role model.

That's really only true to Rebuild 3, which seems like an obvious reaction to people loving the ending of Rebuild 2 where Shinji seemingly becomes an actual hero in order to save Rei. Rebuild 3 comes and completely tears apart that ending. He didn't save Rei, he destroyed the world, the previous Rei disappeared and no one cares about her, and her replacement doesn't carry on her soul, unlike in the tv show.

It's true for the overall Rebuild. You can't have 3.33 without 2.22 or 1.11. Anno has been angry for a long time before and bashes Japan for liking Rei.

>It's true for the overall Rebuild. You can't have 3.33 without 2.22 or 1.11.

Nah. 1 and 2 wouldn't have increased the Rei focus and especially given less character moments to Asuka in 2 if they all had been made with that mindset. The spiteful reaction to the love for Rei is only in 3.

Think about it. To get that reaction in the first place, Rebuild needs to establish that "this is Rei.", and by copying Rei's introduction almost 1:1, they achieve that. Had he started with 3.33, then no one would be offended or care.

3.33 may have been harsh with Rei, but all Khara products or stories have been reductive of Rei, with no exceptions.

We do have a preview for 3.0 that was completely different from what we eventually got with the actual movie though, which indicates that they really didn't have a solid movie plan that was executed by 3.3. The 3.0/3.3 we saw is a reaction to 2.0.

>In recent years, in the world of anime and manga too, the hollowing out of mainstream culture and putative rise of subculture severely diluted and eroded the standing of the Tale.
Audience have come to need a work only as an escape from reality, as an comfortable dream, judging everything on the criterion of moe, while creators' intellectual paucity and the jumble of trivial touches have encouraged that structure. >At the same time, TV-type mass consumption, which prizes instant gratification and simplistic results, laid the impoverished grounds of contemporary Japanese entertainment, giving rise to masses that can only respond with praise for superficial details and technical proficiency; with tears, laughter, fear, or some other outpouring of simple emotions; or with identifying and particularism.
>And here we are, in this stagnant state of affairs. I am stuck here myself. It's embarrassing and frustrating, and I also regret that I contributed to it.
>I want it fixed. The sooner, the better.

>Is he right
Dude, What he said is so fucking obvious and everyone knew it.

The preview for 2.22 was also different, but I'll buy that they didn't have a solid plan. What they did however, was what Anno had been moving towards all along, anti-Rei propaganda and pro-Asuka/Kaworu propaganda.

This:
>The 3.0/3.3 we saw is a reaction to 2.0.
is true in one sense, since it's what people who disliked 2.0 wanted. They wanted Rei out of the picture, they wanted Shinji punished and the world to actually be destroyed to sour the story. Check out 2009 evageeks or some 2009 Cred Forums archive posts if you don't buy into it.

>I want it fixed. The sooner, the better.
Fixing it by making even more of it?

I don't give a fuck if its about selling toys, the toys are pretty cool.

Anno is a huge whiny babby, unlike the superior creator Nagano.

Nagano on Gundam (from Origin Vol 7):

>"Unless I get a direct request from Sunrise as a designer, I can't bring myself to draw Zakus and Gelgoogs. Because those are the creations of people who originally made Mobile Suit Gundam. Maybe this is a conflict unique to those who get involved in the production of something they love... But it doesn't make me more important for having worked on it (Gundam). That's not what this is about... People like me, who designed the Mobile Suits in the later series and Char's outfits, and people building Gunpla models and drawing Zakus for fun rather than for anyone else to see- in the face of Mobile Suit Gundam, we are all the same. Each one of us, in our own way, loves Gundam. The original 'Johnny Ridden Zaku' that appeared as a plastic model, the Gundams that transform or have tons of extra spikes, or come in all different colors like Super Sentai teams- they're all Gundam."

Why do so many faggots take this autist's word as gospel?

Can someone summarize what hes saying? I don't get it

Because he's talented.

The original Gundam transcends its fighting robots premise while later entries are more a vehicle to show them off and push merchandise.

But Gundam was always a toy commercial. The first series having an interesting story and characters doesn't change the fact that it's always been a series made to push gunpla and other goods.

>TLDR; The story that drove the first gundam is meaningless in today's iteration, and in turn its only focus now is to serve as a toy commercial.

He's saying the show is no better than transformers now. Which is rich coming from him.

okay conrad

>I'm afraid the legacy of Gundam dwindled down to the mobile suits, in the form of plastic models as a business and military hobbyism.
Does he even realize that Gundam only got as popular as it is because of the models?
This. Why should anyone take anything he says seriously anymore?

Literally all he is saying is that Gundam is less about war and more about he mobile suits. Wording it differently doesn't make the message different. Of course everyone already knew this.

It's not like he could go on /m/ expecting answers

Gundam was, of course, supposed to be a story about two equally undesirable and corrupt governments trying to force their ideologies upon the blossoming stellar expansion of the human race, and the coming-of-age of the Gundam pilot who firsthand experiences the horrors of a war which teaches that Humanity must realize a new path, a new highway through the stars, a future of the Newtype which casts off the old entrenched corruption within the Federation establishment but also rejects the ruthless Zeon neo-aristocracy.

But, it was also always also about selling giant robot toys and assembly kits as most giant robot shows were merchandising paid-for by toy companies.

Anno is a fucking hack and doesn't deserve to give criticism on shit

The original Gundam had more MotW battles than almost every Gundam series after it you dingus.

Tell that to Anno, not me.

It's just like the 2016 US election,...hey oh!

Anno is a genius because he's describing for Gundam in specific what happens to "fallen media" in general. The Simpsons, Dune, Sherlock Holmes, the American western, soap operas, capeshit, idolshit, comic books, practically all of fantasy and sci-fi literature...

>I'm afraid the legacy of Harry Potter dwindled down to the magical school, in the form of films and merchandise as a business and fanboy hobbyism. Even these magicks were summarized down to protagonist peoples, wizards, so that friend and foe alike were all uniformly wizards. One could say this was inevitable: the pivotal creation that made Harry Potter a classic and drives the franchise expansion to this day is, of course, the wizardry, represented by the magical artifacts, items bearing the elements of a character; and the way of the world is that characters are what ultimately remain with the audience. It's not a bad thing. I simply find it unfortunate that the Tale that enveloped the worldview and ideas on magic presented in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone ceased to function as anything more than device for the wizardry fantasy.

I seriously hope you're just being ironic.

Did anno say that or did you? Either way its fucking stupid.

>That's really only true to Rebuild 3, which seems like an obvious reaction to people loving the ending of Rebuild 2 where Shinji seemingly becomes an actual hero in order to save Rei.

Why was everyone surprised by that? The last line before the credits was "It's the end of the world." It was treated as a bad thing as it happened.

>Reaching dangerous levels of hypocrisy here...

What else is new for Anno?

I don't want to hear shit out of anno's autistic mouth.

>In an interview, Anno says that he is the type to "correct" people when they share their taste. So if someone saw one Planet of the Apes movie, Anno would be quick to explain to them which one they should be watching and liking - that was the example given.

Sauce?

He enjoyed Strike Witches, his argument is invalid.

This was written for the first Volume of the Origin Manga

Strike witches is CGDCT with WW2 Gunbuster, it's a total felatio to whta he does and it's great.

Anno is never right

You guys know that Anno worked on Gundam, right?

He did some animation and a couple ship designs for CCA. Whoop-dee-fucking-do.

He seems a little more qualified to talk about it than Cred Forums, then.

Why are Japs so fascinated by mecha stuff?

As qualified as Yamakan, sure.

That makes no sense.
Besides no-one is disagreeing with him.

>Besides no-one is disagreeing with him.

Everyone is rightfully calling him a hypocrite though.

It's a euphemism of closing yourself off during your rebellious adolescent years. Climbing into a hard outer shell capable of killing anyone who disagrees with you is the antithesis of the emo teenager. Rebellion is for the young, and adults can't make you do shit if you're locked in a robot. Notice the usual "it only works for me" loop hole bullshit most mecha anime do.

It's not necessarily that Anno hates Rei so much that he hates what Rei represents.

NGE Rei was a critique of the dandere archetype and the submissive, frail ideal of the "fantasy girlfriend." However, Japan couldn't give a shit and ate her up like she was the hottest new waifu on the block. Her immense popularity is a constant reminder of the fact that while a lot of people watched NGE, very few actually gave a damn about the message; it was just an unpleasant side dish to an otherwise wonderful escapist fantasy.

2.22 is in many ways an ironic representation of this interpretation of NGE. It's an awesome, cool, stylish mecha show where the boy is surrounded by beautiful women and nuts up and gets the girl. It's NGE stripped of all the unpleasant messages, containing only the fun parts that made NGE popular in the first place.

3.33 is the opposite: it's the core message of NGE, stripped of anything that could obscure or distract from it. And as much as you may hate it, it stays true to the heart of NGE, the sadistic, vehement, emotional, anti-escapist lecture, the denial of idealistic fantasy, the anti-anime. It's fine to hate it for what it is, but it should be acknowledged that it IS what it is.

>but it should be acknowledged that it IS what it is.

You mean a piece of shit that fails as a story and the most blatant fujo pandering in all of Eva?

People are mad because Anno makes Anno stuff and blames him for being Anno.

How would Cred Forums do a Gundam story that involves fresh new concepts, while still maintaining the hallmark feel of the series?

Evangelion

NGE (including both EoTV and EoE) also failed as a story. The last episodes kick all pretense of plot aside to scream the message to the audience aloud, and EoE just does the same with more obscure references to a backstory that may not even exist and new animation. Kicking the girls to the side to have Shinji ride Kaworu's bologna pony was also present in the original.

If you don't like those things that's fine, but pretending they weren't a central part of NGE is also hypocrisy on your part. Nothing in 3.33 is really new, even in plot and certainly not in theme.

Fuck it i'll watch EVA again.

Nah. That shits for faggots. If I trust my own judgement the only proof I need is my own will and resolve to push forward. Everything else is irrelevant. I will make it be right anyway, only with that kind of mentality can you succeed.

>only with that kind of mentality can you succeed

Yes and no.

It does talk both a strong will and innate confidence to become successful, but you also don't want to confidently walk off of a cliff. Our boy Adolf was pretty confident that invading the USSR was the right thing to do, but his confidence didn't account for much in the end.

Knowing when to trust your own judgement and when to rely on the counsel of others is a tightrope all great people need to walk, and even people who are wiser then you, me or Adolf have guessed wrong. Assuming you are always and invariably right is a sure-fire way to set yourself and those around you up for catastrophic failure.

Whatever you say Evageek.

Something in 3.33 is new: The godawful execution and the betrayal to what the characters where. Other than that, sure I agree is was just a glorified Ep24.

I say it repeats the first eva-1 battle.

Just go to Evageeks, they have a list of statements form Anno.
wiki.evageeks.org/Statements_by_Evangelion_Staff

I don't see that mentioned anywhere on that page.

Yeah he's right.
But he also forgets two things
1.The original gundam was not very popular at all.
2.The thing that kept it going in the first place was the toy sales.

Simple as. A lot of the ideas present in gundam were actually cool as fuck, but they were drowned out by boring ass generic military drama and the need to push the merch.

>So if someone saw one Planet of the Apes movie, Anno would be quick to explain to them which one they should be watching and liking - that was the example given.
Clearly an example the user made from the top of his head.

he's so right I'm impressed

there's very little interesting in Gundam outside the original 1979 show

even Z is pretty shit

>Anno is already here, shitposting.

I bet he loves TRY.

i'm interested in this

he wanted gundam to be a lot deeper than just giant fighting robots. Understandable.

Are you expecting us to go to /m/ or something? It'll only be worse there.

>As no one watched it in those days, I would proselytize it to my friends and even to people outside my class. “Don’t watch ‘Army of the Apes,’ watch this!” Or, “Don’t watch ‘Heidi,’ watch this!” There was hardly anyone who listened.
>gwern.net/otaku

Git gud. Took me ten seconds.

yeah but hes about 15 years too late

>Git gud. Took me ten seconds.

That's not even the same page, dumbass.

>It's not necessarily that Anno hates Rei so much that he hates what Rei represents.
Objectively nonsense and completely backwards. When you hate someone like Anno does, you rewrite them into representing something bad. That's how all mudslinging worse. "Oy vey, Trump represents Hitler, don't vote for him, vote for me guys", or "Lissen gaise, Hillary is a crook and you don' wanna vote for her".

The weaker and more frail Anno makes Rei, the more fantasy-gf he makes, the less popular she gets, something that is measured objectively in polls and whatnot.

So that Rei represents any of what you suggested is completely false, and can't be proven by analyzing the show nor from any citation. In fact, Rei's character disproves it completely since e.g Asuka lives a life of escapism whilst Rei leads a life of self-improvement and relationship-building.

>And as much as you may hate it, it stays true to the heart of NGE, the sadistic, vehement, emotional, anti-escapist lecture, the denial of idealistic fantasy, the anti-anime. It's fine to hate it for what it is, but it should be acknowledged that it IS what it is.

Which is what we do - only fringe evageek otaku actually think what you just wrote. Non-otaku dismiss the movie wholesale for being otaku nonsense that requires hours of self-insertion and fanfiction writing to understand. 3.33 will always be a pure-otaku movie because it provides to the otaku building blocks for escapism, i.e shallow characters and settings they can exercise their moe-muscle on.

So, 3.33 is anything but an anti-escapist lecture, and much less true to NGE. Do you need to be reminded that 3.33 is completely different from NGE in narrative style and content? While NGE spent a large amount of time of ratifying and earning the developments of their characters, and earning the conclusion it had, 3.33 did not and simply focused on the de facto most popular yaoi pairing in NGE whilst showcasing Anno's jealousy of Rei. That is what 3.33 is.

so who was his favorite? Asuka or someone else

It was on the only page that matters: GOOGLE, you idiot.

Asuka. He's said so in an interview. Not only that, the treatment of Asuka in post-NGE works is consistent with Anno acting on that very bias.

Got the exact problem with my scifi. There's shiny futuristic military shit but the I've learned your characters and plot have to outshine all the pretty visuals for it to work.

You are completely delusional and I do not posses the time necessary to refute all of the inane nonsense that you have just spouted. Even if I took up 3 full posts filled to max word count to describe each and every way that your assertions are not only factually wrong but logically nonsensical, you would simply go "nu-uh" and repeat all of this and consider it an actual argument. Get off of the internet for a few months and collect yourself, and then maybe we can talk about this rationally. Until then, don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

The real delusion Anno has is that Gundumb and Ideon were every good in the first place.

Thank god his shows take most of their cues from Go Nagai instead of Tomino.

You couldn't do that, though. It's logically impossible, which is why you won't and can't do it. I'm running short of time as well, but I was planning to check in on the thread and maybe leave my email if need be.

What I am writing is as close to the truth as you can get. That upsets you, and that is why you posture.

Male power fantasy.

>rei was a critique
It was? How?
He made the most iconic dandere of his time in rei

He's right in regards to Gundam's legacy, but only that. If you're actually a fan and watch some of the less popular series like Victory or Turn A, Gundam has artistic value and will be recognized by its fans as more than just a toy. However, the average person sees gunpla and not much else. I don't know why, but critics and viewers alike just don't look at gundam like they do at patlabor or evangelion. Gundam is both thematic and a glorified toy commercial, but people willingly ignore the themes because of the toys.

He should stick to doing remakes since he ran out of original ideas decades ago

It wasnt. Essentially, Asuka fans know that when you compare Rei and Asuka, Rei always wins. She is simply the stronger character.

So because they cant accept Rei's canonical superiority nor Rei's overwhelming popularity over Asuka, they have to invent narratives that ease the acceptance. They are rationalizing.

Thus they invented the idea that Rei is a critique of an archetype she is credited for starting. Completely backwards, but the only way the asuka fan can cope.

The Federation were forcing their ideology on people? That's rich.

OP is a lazy faggot who grabbed this from /m/ and can't even post the full essay

>Celebrating the Revival of Gundam as a Tale

>The world of Gundam, drawn once again as a Tale –that, I believe, is the greatest significance of this manga.
>Of course, we also have here Mr. Yasuhiko’s distinctive art, the indescribable charm woven by his gentle, delicate lines, the characters and mobile suits in particular. Yet I feel the greatest pleasure of this “Yasuhiko Gundam” lies in the resuscitation of a Tale lost among our memories of First Gundam.

>It has already been twenty-five years since the broadcast of First Gundam.
>I’m afraid the legacy of Gundam dwindled down to the mobile suits, in the form of plastic models as a business and military hobbyism. Even these mobile suits were summarized down to the protagonist mecha, Gundam, so that friend and foe alike were all uniformly Gundams. One could say this was inevitable: the pivotal creation that made Gundam a classic and drives the franchise expansion to this day is, of course, the mobile suit, represented by the RX-78 Gundam, a weapon bearing the elements of a character; and the way of the world is that characters are what ultimately remain with the audience.
>It’s not a bad thing. I simply find it unfortunate that the Tale that enveloped the worldview and ideas on war presented in First Gundam ceased to function as anything more than a device for the mobile suit fantasy.

cont.

>In recent years, in the world of anime and manga too, the hollowing out of mainstream culture and the putative rise of subculture severely diluted and eroded the standing of the Tale.
>Audiences have come to need only a work only as an escape from reality, as a comfortable dream, judging everything on the criterion of moe, while creators’ intellectual paucity and the jumble of trivial touches have encouraged that structure. At the same time, TV-type mass consumption, which prizes instant gratification and simplistic results, laid the improverished grounds of contemporary Japanese entertainment, giving rise to masses that can only respond with praise for superficial details and technical proficiency; with tears, laughter, fear, or some outpouring of simple emotions ; or with identifying and particularism.
>And here we are, in this stagnant state of affairs. I am stuck here myself. It’s embarrassing and frustrating, and I also regret that I contributed to it.
I want it fixed. The sooner, the better.

>That is why I am so glad that Gundam, the animation brand with the largest market in the industry, is showing us here a true Tale through the medium of manga. I want as many people as possible to reconfirm and savor the essence and allure of Tales. I want this work’s readers’ receptivity to grow more fertile, more embodied.
>Only Mr. Yasuhiko, I think, could have accomplished the task of reviving the Tale that is there in First Gundam.
>I think this because I sense a certain equipoise--in that Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, the author who seconded diverging with the masses and business, who abandoned the anime industry and, as solitary manga artist, gazed at and depicted the livelihood of individuals and state society historically, finally returns to Gundam after steering clear of it for over twenty years.

2/3

Yeah, pretty much spot on.

>And I sense a certain good grace. He decides to draw Gundam—well-known to the masses as a premier franchise of the plastic model and anime industries—not from weariness, not as expiation, nor to return to his roots, but in earnest, as a work of his own.
>That is why we are able to sense from the work a Tale that is both true and distinct from the first Gundam anime’s.
>I think that’s fantastic. I thank anew that I am able to read Mr. Yasuhiko’s Gundam.

>Finally, dear reader, holding this book, I urge you to pick up Mr. Yasuhiko’s other works as well. I sincerely wish for you t know better what Tales are to you, to touch and feel them again.
>As for me, I’ll do my best so that my next project will come across as a Tale.

>Hideaki Anno, Gundam Fan
>April 10, 2005

He's pretty spot on with this (especially considering how excellent the Origin manga is, which has been the only good gundam media to come out since Turn A)

that last line, though

>implying that the federation was worse than Zeon

He's right about a lot of things, also a bit of a prophet.

>Anno talks about the dire state of the industry when NGE almost single handedly launched the transition to late night shit made by production committees
Oh Anno~

I wish have characters in anime with these dialogues today's!

Well he was just the creator, but he had no control over the system.
Perhaps he doesnt understand how big an influence he was?

>I think that PATLABOR is really good. I liked the scenes better in the second film.

A man of supreme taste

>Well he was just the creator, but he had no control over the system.
Anno has a background as an animator however, so the process is not something he's unfamiliar with at all.

make one more where he says heil hydra!

If only Gundam would go back to it's roots with people looking for salt or some random guy with a Zaku living on some island.

It's actually from a Captain America comic.

You mean
>Sieg ZAFT

Rei is blatantly Anno saying "You like this character? You don't even KNOW this character" for 26 fucking episodes as he keeps killing her off and bringing back new clones.

What's particularly bizarre is that a lot of Rei fans hate Q, when she's the epitome of the message Anno was trying to make with the character all along. Either you accept Q as part of the dull clusterfuck that is the Rei "soul", as if a puppet could even possess such a thing, or you reject the whole concept of Rei like anyone who isn't captivated by characters with literal autism because "uguu she's just like me~".

She's broken, faulty, and as deep as a puddle. If you like her, you completely missed the point of the character, which means that your affection makes zero sense.

the interview was from 1996, which is when things had just started to change

>this coming from anno whos favourite character is asuka because "shes cute"

I feel yah, although I would never admit such things openly for that would be treason.

>complaining that an anime made to sell robot toys is focusing on robots
Anno a shit

>I like to read romance novels written by women, I'm not a women so I can't understand their emotions, I want to try so I can make better female characters

Rei got turned into an insanely complex character because he couldn't figure how the fuck women think, the madman just guessed and over-complicated it until he was satisfied

Fuckin' Anno man

>Something in 3.33 is new: The godawful execution and the betrayal to what the characters where

That was in 2.22 also.

How did you come to that conclusion and how do you not understand Rei?

Misato and Asuka are pretty good adult and teenage women characters respectively. How can you not appreciate this?

I'm not smart enough to understand what he's saying, but I agree that Origin is shit.

Kiryuin Satusuki's castle speech is upthere.

He praised origin though

No, I understand his message better than he does.

Why would he be surprised that Americans liked Misato

>What's particularly bizarre is that a lot of Rei fans hate Q, when she's the epitome of the message Anno was trying to make with the character all along.
That should clue you in to a couple of things.

People don't like Rei because of any of the BS reasons you listed but because of stuff her haters refuse to recognize in her.

If the reason she was liked was because as you put it: she's autistic, a self insert, broken, faulty, deep as a puddle' they would love Q, who perfectly lives up to that piece of shit caricature of the character that Rei haters have built of her.

But Rei fans hate Rei Q because it takes away everything that was great about Rei and leaves us with that travesty. And the only ones who push Q are the people that have an agenda to shit on Rei by tying her to that piece of crap.

Anno, never meant to make Rei as great as they ultimatelly made her in NGE. because by their own admission the original goal was to have Rei go from a cold an empty character to have her crack a smile. And that was it. then when they got around to actually make the show they realized they still had to work with her character beyond that. And so they did so much more with her. and the character got away from them and it overtook their own favored characters and they've resented it ever since.

>They can't handle strong women such as Misato and Asuka
Well, at least he knows his demographic

Rei is just Rei. Rei is not what you think some other person intended it to be.

That people dont like Rei Q is in itself proof that your theory is just hateful Anti-Rei rhetoric. If Rei was what you proposed originally, then people would not like it.

That you prefer a false reality (your theory) over the real thing (the canonical Rei) shows that you have problems coping with reality.

Rei stands as a superior character, whose deaths only add to the character in a way others cant possibly compete with.

Not really. Misato and Asuka are merely misogynistic takes on what a female is: a constantly PMSing bitch, and a slut who the narrative shames for having sex with ONE man in 29 years.

How is Gundam the Origin anyway? There are no scans (that I know of) so I would have to buy the manga itself, and I want to be sure I'm not wasting money.

SW are amazing you fag.

worldview does not sell plamo.

Gundam came out in 70's. Back then it's storytelling and plot were legitimately good. Just compare it to other sci-fi of the time.

Rei has no fucking character. It's entirely invented by the viewer who is so painfully autistic that he can't understand basic social cues. Q is literally just a re-iteration of the point the original Rei was trying to make, but a little more heavy handed to help retards snap out of their delusion-fueled image of Rei.

Which is why it's hilarious that she's so rejected.

You've got everything backwards.

Anno sometimes says good things.

But he is a fag who thinks that escapism is evil. For him anime or movies should never be about escapism but about harsh truth and accepting reality.

Which is fucking bullcrap because fiction was always about escapism.

If I wanted shitty truth and reality I can look outside the fucking window or watch news.

As it should be.

You're the retard if you can't tell Rei does have a character. and not all personality has to be cranked up to 11 into that of a loud and obnoxious bitch.

And if Q is a heavyhanded re-iteration to make a point why would it be hilarious that she's so rejected? It means it made its point. Shouldn't you celebrate then that everyone agrees Q is a piece of shit?

Anyway. I won't waste more time with retards that can't tell the difference between Rei & Q or those that push the second one.

>You've got everything backwards
Nope, you do. You cant back your delusions up, but we can.

We win, you lose.

Gundam is 100x better than Evangelion

The point of Q is to make people go "oh, wait, I get it, Rei is fucking cancer".

Unfortunately, people really can't handle having their beliefs challenged, so this instead presents as "W-Well Rei is good, but Q isn't Rei!" because they don't want to accept the basic fact that there's literally no difference between the characters.

You'd think with a series that's literally all about the way people are perceived inside the minds of others, people would be able to understand this, but you should never underestimate the capacity of fools to put their head in the sand and reject things on a technicality.

All those other Rei clones were good, but suddenly this one is the breaking point? Are you on drugs?

Anno writes for a Japanese audience. The problems of escapism there is at a whole nother level. Multiple reasons for why this is. WW2, American rule, LDP and their 1 party rule for decades, toxic work environment, polite and ritualized society, the forever recession and birth crisis.

The typical otaku response to all of this was to dive into anime/manga/idols/w/e and use those as a form of escapism from their shitty current situation. I mean the one thing going is that Japan isn't poor so that's why this entire industry of pandering has come about.

This is also from the perspective of a guy who was live and of age during the boom in Japan during the 70s/80s.

I don't know. I can see why he would be pissed to be a prominent member in a community that has come to embrace shitty isekai wns and idol anime.

you are cancer.

Even then it's better to make works about changing the shitty reality than accepting it.