Game Developer Here

Game Developer Here.

What do you want in a RTS game? Name it.

Will be livestreaming and writing a game design document to suit your requests in 14 hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc
youtube.com/watch?v=49vVzSY9_WQ
store.steampowered.com/app/464350/
youtube.com/watch?v=d2xkpz-26jM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dinosaurs

Big fucking war machines

Something with a massive rail gun or cannon that takes a few seconds to charge and then incinerates something

>>>>>>>inb4 no deliver

something similar to homeworld but with unique races instead of 2 with copy pasted unit roosters

Also 3d movement and maps that make you use it

Dinosaurs with massive rain guns

banter between units

soldiers in a unit variety (but not a different unit)

dyanmic maps shit like battlefield

large af maps

Some actual base building or resource management.

always wanted to be one of the townsfolk in a city builder kind of rts game and explore/get comfy in the places i've made

Metal Gear Rex

No more sci-fi, medieval and World wars stuff, all those 3 are stale as fuck.

Go crazy like Impossible Creatures

AVP Extinction for PC

Something like Men Of War.
Physics, fully destructible, real ballistics and modelled armor, damages, but adapted to other settings.

dinos vs machines. there are random quests in game where one team has to infiltrate another's base, kill X amount of a specific unit, etc. that allows one to get something from the other. dinos get giant buzzsaws, rockets, and . machines get to genetically engineer dinos and make dino troops, and of course, ride dinos

easy to play
hard to master

I'm gonna sound like a massive fucking casual, but I'm hardcore as fuck when it comes to other genres. I've beaten The Evil Within on AKUMU.

>justifications

Make it simple to control. I'm too impatient to get good at games like Total War. It's too much of a chore. Game's dry as fuck. I haven't gotten into a real time strategy game since Brood War.

Also, fuck sci-fi. Full medieval or medieval/fantasy is where it's at. No goofy shit, though. Make it dark and depressing. Gore, too, please.

Being able to zoom out the entire map. Huge maps and huge unit caps. Bonus points for a grungy 90s industrial style like Unreal in there somewhere.

Ability to take manual control of unit. Like men of war.

surrounds and blocking like warcraft 3

highly valuable resources located in contested positions

3-4 distinctly different races

Squad based units.

You are wasting your time, there isn't an audience for RTS games, see everyone has a different idea of what the genre is supposed to be and won't touch anyting that deviates from it, you are better off making a game that fits into one of the subgenres of strategy.

Continued.

Also, I'm not saying make the game easy. Just streamline the complexity. Simple to learn, hard to master.

>inb4 I get called a retard for thinking total war is complex.

Has to have a story people care about and extensive mod tools if it wants to survive.

this. steampunk pls. air ships. hot air balloon sentries. rocketeer jet pack shit. just go fukkin nuts. oh and maybe some random char steaming vegetables from the exhaust of their ship. just saiyan

it's people like you who caused Supreme commander to get dumbed down.

> there isn't an audience for RTS games

a notable number of chinks, gooks and slavs are playing bw and war3 as we speak

Fuck off, that and small arms ammo management ruined MoW, you are supposed to be managing groups of units not playing a clunky third person shotter.

Let me design my own buildings and units.

Like doing missions earns money and resources that I can use to build my own units

Only game I saw close was Spores RTS section

Something similar to that, just you know, not shit

And that's all they will be playing because that audience is locked, its the same with mobas, and no you won't make a killer game.

impossiburu creatures let you create your own units

Fair enough. I'll admit that it's a personal flaw.

Bought Total War: Warhammer and all the DLC. Gonna give that series one last solid attempt. If I can't get into it, then fuck it. I'm out on RTS games.

No stupid superweapons that take time to charge then insta fuck an entire turtled up base. Better artillery options or super heavy big units are always more fun an strategic option against defenses than shitting over an entire base with one button.
More alien factions that look alien instead of humans with funny voices and plasma guns. Bonus points if they are organic freaky aliens ala zerg/xenomorph/flood/tyranids.
Infantry that doesn't get shit on by pizza delivery cars simply because they can get run over.

>not shit

>Asymmetry
>Alternative goals (not just always "kill the enemy or get the thing," spice it up, preferably with asymmetric goals, meaning you could totally ignore the enemy and still win in some cases
>Depending on setting, some form of flesh nightmare/body horror brood hivemind

A campaign mode that has a strategy map like total war or Dawn of war: dark crusade.

Hot sluts. Pokemons, whiskey.

but its old and meh

my brother and I played the shit out of this as kids

warlords battlecry 3 has the comfiest strategy map

"The Ultimate Tactical Massacre" is just about the best tagline ever.

The ability to play as your units directly. Possibly a game mode where another player only directly controls units.
You can just rip off executive assault

A game where all the units are lolis.

They all have different stuff, like jet packs built into Randoseru, and ninjas with pantsu over their head.

Instead of killing each other they seduce each other with projectile fired love potions.

First thing you need to solve the problem of integrating strategic planning with real time gameplay without making the game too slow or too simple, then you design a good way to mix tactics and strategy; the genre is dead and it needs a miracle to happen in order for it to revive and advance.

Red alert 2 type of gameplay. I miss those kind of rts games.
youtube.com/watch?v=WBOD8qeCBuc

It all depends what do people look for in RTS games. Personally I like the "comfy" aspect of it. Building, guiding people, light combat. A personal investment in the game, single player.

Others like purely the combat, the "autistic" genre of RTS's. Competitiveness.

Which of this is more popular, that I don't know.

Kawaii neko girls

Allow basic units to be upgraded instead of having advanced units purchased outright. Battle Realms got it right.

the units need character
thats why Warcraft is amazing and Grey Goo failed

Supreme comander style rts, with more unique factions and a dawn of war 1 camping map.

Dinosaurs are Reddit memes.

I want an RTS game with medieval units where you have to utilize your troops as you would in a Total War game. But incorporate that with building castles and farms.

>Warcraft
He said rts not moba.

majesty type game where some players build towns and shit while other players play squads of units that fight for them/each other.

Continuing with my post. I would argue that you should somehow translate the Patapon series to a 3D format. With or without the rythmic aspect of it. Emphasizing simple design, simple controls and a personal investment in the small tribes. Borrowing as well the artstyle which I believe can translate to the "flat shaded" indie revolution currently going on.

Weaponized map terraforming.

youtube.com/watch?v=49vVzSY9_WQ

Asymmetry ruins any potential for a competitive or esports scene. It's literally impossible to implement.

thats so far from even being a joke it came back around and hit you inside your own asshole

Wow. You really think you're not the autistic one in this scenario.

Hang yourself, man. I'm not even a fan of RTS games, but fucking hang yourself.

basically Supcom: FA but more shit, bigger maps, more factions, optimisation, moddability in terms of maps and units in the way that TA was.

Same for a Wargame type game - more nations, modability to let spergs correct unit stats, the ability to generate random maps for skirmishes.

i like things on a grand scale, the ability to systematise and automate things like defences (for example slaving air units to an HQ building which vectors them toward incoming units when they come into a player defined area, and allowing the HQ building to place production orders for units that are lost)

although most people would hate this, i want some logistics so that we can open up supply line interdiction as a tactic. big stompy robots can generate their own shit, but small units gotta get recharged and rearmed. also: decent cover mechanics so we can have ambushed and the like as well as units that can create decoys and false signatures so we can have deception and feints.

mostly i don't want an ant-scale, lowest common denominator ADHD clickfest because i'm not a gook on speed who masturbates to starcraft.

Make it fantasy, don't go realistic or futuristic its boring and overdone.

I want mages shooting fireballs at skeleton armies

FUCKING DIPLOMACY that actually works. I don't want scripted allies, I don't want to have to conquer everybody and kill everything as my end goal.

Imagine Shogun 2 without the realm divide bullshit.

Fantasy is overdone. History isn't. There are so many settings you can tap into.

StarCraft: Brood War is about as asymmetrical as you can get.

Pulling off a RTS game that's balanced requires a fuckton of experience and dedication. Most suck dick and die off in short order.

>Imagine Shogun 2 without the realm divide bullshit.
Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai?

>ruins any potential for a competitive or esports scene
Where are the downsides?

>too impatient for Total War

Holy fuck kill yourself.

OP disregard everything this user said, do not dumb shit down for his nigger ass.

OP still here? I'm interested in watching a stream of someone writing a game design document, this concept is talked about a lot but I don't see many guides or outlines for how exactly a GDD, a good GDD is written.

Also just to add in, strong neutral objectives are something I'm interested in, being able to get a unit or lump sum of materials by claiming neutral objectives is something I really like the idea of.

>implying I'm not white and cooler than your virgin ass.

That sounds cool. Really I just think RTS mixed with other genres is a fun idea. Like imagine a game where one player is in charge of a base and hiring units and constructing defenses and the guy he is playing against is a single guy who has to take the place out in a typical shooter fashion.

A good story desu

I haven't invested time into an RTS in a while because the stories are all fucking trash.

Multiplayer can fuck off too

Never played it, maybe?

Make it crazy and fun, compare early sc2 when nobody knew what was best and then later on when everybody just followed build orders. Just put in a bunch of fun units to fuck around with

ADDENDUM: i really liked the earth 2150 mechanic of designing your units - let's have more of that. your opponent has a lot of lazers? imma research shields yo. oh, he has cannons, oh well, gotta build my units with reactive and ceramic armour. hmm this chassis is superfast with a middling amount of armour, imma design a suite of variants which can do a variety of different jobs but move together within the same battlegroup.

History is boring, I say this as someone who reads historical books for fun.

amateur game dev here too

Do you know of any way to have LOADS of units fighting together at the same time? I'm talking 200+ real time. I wanted to see how Mount & blade did it but I couldn't find anything. The fact there's an in-game skill called "pathfinding" doesn't make it easy. My game is 3d so I try to optimize the rendering and physics calcs to the max but the actual pathfinding algorithm is what is bugging me the most. Unity's navmesh system works well for low unit count but it's literally not working properly when you get into the first hundred units.

I like the idea of neutral objectives too. Stalemates, war of attrition, armistice or truces can make other gameplay strategies possible. Like propoganda, demoralization, guerrilla warfare, and terrorism.

Skeletons. Every game can be improved with skeletons

A good story mode. Wouldn't give two shits about any multiplayer crap. Although I do love me some tower defense. Fucking spent my teen years playing random TD games on WC3. But yeah, mostly a strong story campaign.

Dive into Mechwarrior lore and do an RTS right.

Different clans have different perks, innersphere have cheaper units but not as good, base building, resource gathering, throw in diplomacy and baby you got a stew going.

You are somewhat right, someone needs to come up with a way to make RTS controls better, maybe when brain/machine direct connection becomes a thing.

>unity
Give up or simplify your game.

ay

My nigga.

This was one of my favorite games as a kid.

Big Robots with customizable parts, something like Universe at War earth assault. Also, large numbers of troops on screen

there's only so much you can do with people with swords or people with guns and tanks

OP i liked unit customisation/upgrades that was in warzone 2100

sure there were a shitload of upgrades but that shit was interesting.

>An entire faction that has a population of (1)
>Everyone else in the entire kingdom/army/whatever is a Skeleton
>Just name the entire faction (name) the Necromancer
>Basically playing Diablo 2's Necromancer, but more spells and Skeletons
>Warriors, Mages, cast curses, and sacrifice swathes of Bone Minions for Shambling Horrors
>Resource intensive, but has no base, the Necromancer is a mobile war base in and of himself
>Has to have constant streams of energy to maintain his armies, so you gotta set up fonts on various energy wells across the map and not have them destroyed by enemies

Fully customizable hero units, and being able to have 1-2 of them on the field at a time.

>mfw early TA:Spring had all of this until 201x and the lobotimized the game
>Took out the terrain destruction
>Took out direct control
>Game now has no players because the freetard devs are braindead retards
Basically remake TA:Spring 200x edition or remake Total Annihilation

Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2 where amazing

Also Age of Mythology shame its playerbase is so fractured between the vanilla version and the horrible extended edition

i could go on for hours about how to fix rts games.

Basically CnC Generals is the peak and its mostly downhill from there

Abandon video games.
Make something actually useful.

I would like to see a RTS that is a mix of economic simulation/city building (like Anno/Dawn of Discovery) and military focused games like Age of empires.

In essence it would be like a real time Total War on a big real time map. You would build your own City, do diplomacy and keep you population happy while sending our armies to fight.
The fact that the maps are so huge makes planning ahead really important (are the trade routes safe? should I build a military checkpoint on that road? Can I sent my troops on a long march while my town is undefended?) since it might take some time so reach your enemy.

Together with an army supply system and camp building mechanic (long marches make your soldiers unhappy) you could have a really engaging gameplay in both military and economic aspects.

They key is the big real time map that makes trade and warfare much more interesting and different from other games.
This kind of game has never been done.

an orgy RTS with monstergirls/furries/futa (or all of the above)

instead of dying, units get raped until they're unconscious and are recovered by enemy robots to produce additional units. whoever rapes the most gets the largest army and can incapacitate the enemy 100%, winning the game

we can call it "RapeCraft: rape or be raped"

Before you put any of this other shit in you need to make it fun.

Two-headed dinosaurs

Less like Civilization, more like Age of Empires pls.

Civilization is not fucking "Real Time"

Maybe a way to make your own vehicles/troops.

For a very good reason, it's dumb.

I want something like Stronghold and Stronhold Crusader. Only better. And without 3d, cause 2d is better for that type of strategy game.

remake army men

>This kind of game has never been done.
because devs are lazy and they know simple shit sells.

Awesome idea.

imagine building a replica of helms deep

Starcraft 1 tier voice acting. C&C superweapons.

>isometric games will never be good again

at least we still have age2 but its not my favorite one.

all the rest are abandoned and the only real way to play a good rts is multiplayer with friends, oh wait i dont have any

Want to know what I want? I microbiological warfare RTS.

>dat shape-shifting defensive wall Amoeba with small virus assault groups flanking from the sides, weakening their attack and allowing the amoeba group to engulf their attack.

Don't even care if none of that makes any sense.

The RTS genre died because it didn't evolve. In essence it just was fast clicking and hotkey smashing while building the right troops.
New games like this won't survive.

I want an RTS game where there's just one country-sized map and the objective is to conquer it.

Game Developer here

Will you resent me if I advertise a game as being "difficult" so that you will feel the need to take on the challenge and just make it something that really isn't all that difficult at all (for people who aren't normies) and is actually just fun to play?

Why not throw some Offworld Trading Company in there?
>Economic Markets, your base composition across multiple areas impacts your production of materials for use
>Can crash markets by dumping a ton of the shit into the market between you and other kingdoms by sending large convoys of the shit to market

the closest thing to an rts game ive genuinely enjoyed since aoe2 is pikmin
real goddamn tired of playing the same historic battles or the same not-spehs muhreens fighting the original alien donut steels

it needs to have character
i dont give a shit about whether or not the lore logically follows, i dont give a shit about historical accuracy, what i DO give a shit about is unique mechanics that diversify factions that are themselves clearly defined as separate groups
and then beyond that face appeal, what matters most in order are controls, ai, and mechanical diversity
remember that its a strategy game, that has an incredibly loose definition and a wide array of things fall under that umbrella that ARENT "its a starcraft clone"
games like FTL, pikmin, those first person tower defense games like orcs must die and sanctum, maybe even brutal legend, they all
use some degree of rts mechanics to make a game that goes beyond something that tries to be nothing but a clone of another preexisting game

oh and if youre think about multiplayer remember THE most important part about multiplayer games: they are DEFINED by their communities
a 50 player average indie game is not going to cut it for any kind of matchmaking system
singleplayer content is incredibly important if you dont have a calladuty-tier marketing budget to ensure a gigantic playerbase

i havent played a new RTS for over a decade

i tried a bunch out but they where just too simplified like starcraft 2 esqe mobalite crap like the new dawn of war games

As long as its not fucking Dota sounds good

Are you from /agdg/? I've been meaning to go there. I have game jam next weekend to go to

Wile your at it why don't you promise content you have no plans to deliver.

I just want a decent god game.

How long has it been since we had one of those?

I am but I don't post that much nowadays. There's good stuff though.

I've been thinking about this
cus' its correct, thats what it was
but why did genres like racing survive and now thrive?
in racing much of it is the tech to make it more real and/or feel awesome
can this not be applied to rts?
use the new tech to make it... More
better damage detection, more weakpoints, more accuracy and more and usable destruction
like what the first CoH did, but 2016
idno

>We will never get Black and White 3 from before Peter Molyneux went evil

3 distinct races with 3 unique play styles that are completly balanced and take equal skill\efort to play

>no matter what happens to No Man's Sky, Sean Murray can land a well-paying job as a lead game designer with any company he wants

VR + Fleshlight support

Depends if you count Doodle God (since it is technically a game where you play god)
But assuming you don't, (I don't,) too long.
Hell, I'd settle for if they made a "God-mode" gamemode for the Worms franchise, where God gets a turn to cause chaos on the field or blessings.

The RTS genre died because people don't like to micro and be stressed out during games. There is no casual RTS with fun custom games.

Dinosaur city builder.

:^)

So reskin starcraft: Brood War?

Fall still has realm divide, except you keep all your allies, assuming they support the same cause you do (so all Pro-Imperial factions stick together and all Pro-Shogunate factions stick together). It means that diplomacy actually means something in the long run, but some allies by their nature (Imperial/Shogunate) will be unreliable unless they swap their cause. This doesn't stop same-cause factions from fighting each other either, so forces this interesting dynamic of trying to support same-cause factions while still looking out for your own interests, such as snagging resources or railway stations.

Of course this also highlights other problems with Shogun 2, namely that you don't have enough diplomatic options at your disposal to really make use of these dynamics. For instance, you can't broker a peace agreement between two other factions, something that would be really useful in preventing two same-cause factions from fucking each other up. In another example that's even more annoying because it was in previous games, you can't trade territories with allies to try and form more contiguous and defensible areas.

You can still do the base game's realm divide by choosing to form a Republic, but even this is better than the base game because the Imperial and Shogunate forces will still actually fight each other instead of suddenly being friends and teaming up to beat the fuck out of you.

Ideas Guy: The Thread

Imagine a god game without arbitrary limitations imposed by designers.
>manipulating time
>directly changing unit memories
>choosing someone to be your avatar in the world

I second this.

Naw, if this was an Ideas thread, I'd have posted my idea about a game revolving around the Butter God and how it spans three genres. (Including RTS)

Are you retarded?

I want datable female characters! From lolis to busty characters, all of them.

Many truly unique factions. Rts like conquest of elysium. Almost every faction plays totally diffrent from unit types, tactics, and resources.

This

>choosing someone to be your Avatar in the world
>You use Astral projection to appear before them and must convince them (if you want to do it the hard way) to become the equivalent of Jesus, but not necessarily gonna get Martyred
>Convincing is a dating minigame
>When you're done, you've created an Avatar infused with your Divine Power
And then, if it were a PvP godgame,
>The Devil/God2 makes an Avatar as well
>These 2 duke it out and level a continent while attempt to convert the rest of your world to your religion instead of the other guy's

The problem with classical RTS genres is that the base building feels redundant. play a short game and if you know all the hotkeys the base building is just a formality. It adds nothing the the game itself. This is why MOBAS killed RTS.

If you make a RTS game more focused on city building and economy while keeping the military aspect you have a much fresher gameplay. People like to build their own cities while adding details and watching their population trade and work. This is why Cities Skyline is so popular.
If you do a game like one "round" will take a long time (prob like a Total War campaign), the game won't be competitive and more focused on single player, but it's something new that merges stuff people like.

Remember me Cred Forums?

Maybe, why?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>conquest of elysium
My man.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
-EEEEEEEEEeeddit.

Unfortunately variety and cool monsters is the only place that CoE is good at
Everything else could use a lot of work, including game pacing

Add commanders

Have Hitler as a pick.

>he doesn't want unlimited power

Yes, continue to suck that designer cock

A game that is actually about strategy.

You can have the "basebuilding" and "army making" aspects be separate from the actual combat.

Combat should start scouting to decide if you can see some or all of what your opponent deploys, or the makeup of his army.

Deployment should be done based on the "speed" of units, slowest, heaviest, thickest units deploying first, quick, light outriders deploying last, possibly with a broader deployment range than slower units.

You could keep certain units in reserve. Set up ambushes.

Communication should also be an important aspect of the game. Being able to intercept enemy data could show you what orders the other player is giving his units for a certain time. You could also fake the info your give your enemy if you notice him taking it.

>This is why MOBAS killed RTS.
Horseshit

Not my fault the average gamer has zero attention span or patience for slower games/genre's anymore.

Mobas are so shit
>micro micro micro
>everyone aggro as fuck
>game isnt fun

Nope
Yes Peter Molyneux22Cans you should go right the fuck back there >3

Yes but if you smashed that with comand and conquer rts style you would have a hell of a game.

so age of mythology crossed with Wargame except not shit or boring buggy desync mess?

Sign me up

I want an RTS that doesn't even have races, but has 100s of tech paths that take time to tech into. In other words, you balance all the tech paths like races but the players choose how to tech into the races. This would mean players actually have to scout eachother to figure out wtf is going on. This avoids premeditated build order shit as much as possible.

I want the combat to be heavily terrain influenced. This is the most important thing about the combat, positioning needs to be absolutely key but easy to control. The barrier should never be about controls, it should be about tactics and strategy. It's favorable to all have physics as well, with penetration values. The terrain changing as the battle unfolds is nice too. Adaptation being the way you win should be the core design philosophy of an RTS.
make it so the interface is EXTREMELY easy to use and the game ignores APM entirely.
For example: features like continuous build are extremely important, where it automatically builds a ratio of units you choose forever.

Attention to detail.

Action games are fun by themselves, just moving and jumping around in the gameworld is a fun activity in itself, RTSs don't have that, the fun can only come from the full experience of planning, implementing and watching the results of an strategy, what this means is that a player can have fun just replaying a platformer level many times or playing games with the same mechanics but different level and visual designs, but if a RTS doesn't offer new strategic possibilities it will feel just the same, and guess what? Designing new strategic possibilities is really fucking hard.

I second this.

I was thinking of Warhammer 40K army creating and deployment mixed with old browser strategy games from the mid 90s plus some wargame, but yea your description is also close to it.

anime tiddies

I just want to revive SC:BW and it's mapping community.
If starcraft didn't had a literally retarded engine and a even more retarded native map editor then things could've been so different.

But OP, we know the genre is dead, so don't put too many hopes on this kind of game.

so like a semi-city builder with dynamic mutliplayer interaction, kinda like dark souls or maybe even what no mans sky was supposed to be
your city, your base exists within its own sphere but instead of a static location its dynamic, changing and moving where you want it to go and having the location you decide to be affect your city in some notable way due to new resources/immigrants/etc being available
you could have it on like floating mega-barges on a flooded world, or even have it be like a gigantic space frigate/carrier type deal, where youre able to maybe detect other players online but you dont have to interact with them if you dont desire to, and the game can be played solely offline if you so choose

so basically supcom/total annihilation

Shame those devs went completely retarded
Yeah sounds good senpai

oh well hopefully op listened because we dont need another generic rts.

Shame the genre is basically dead.

Waifus

>Game takes place in a computer world
>Your armies consist of various viruses, trojans, etc.
>Your buildings include RAM chips, fans, liquid coolant, graphics cards, etc.
>Have to be built on your Motherboard, which can be expanded in a number of ways, either making more (secondary) Motherboards, making your board bigger, or stealing enemy boards
>Is relatively basic except there is no upper limit to upgrade paths, after you get the major upgrades that add abilities and functionality bonuses, you can keep upgrading for % enhancements to attack, speed, special ability speed and/or HP, so if you really want, you could make one type of super-virus and leave all your other shit low level
>This includes buildings so you can quite literally have buildings that regenerate health faster than the enemy can deal it (until they out-level you because you're turtling hard and lose because they get all the other resource supplies)
>Can make Stealth variants of some units, worms, and (exclusively stealth) backdoors to try and sneak into your enemy's Motherboard(s) and infect them
>Infections allow you to give your enemy either a mechanical disadvantage or a visual one
>Anything from % reduced production and the Infector gets said resources/points towards units/etc.
>To making it look like their (actual player's computer's) graphics card/monitor is shorting out (excluding UI) or their own units and building become invisible for a while
>Up to 8 man arenas

SupCom's races actually had differences with each other, though.

listen here OP, ignore everyone here.. what you need to do is make sure there is diversity in strats you can do in game, if it turns into sc2 where you can only do one strat and everyone does that strat you need to make changes to the game in a reasonable time, you must balance your game often so to avoid stagnation in whats being done

Has anyone tried Screeps?

store.steampowered.com/app/464350/

It looks fun but I don't wanna pay $15 for it without at least one person telling me it's worth it.

its been like 8 years since ive played it but yeah ok cool

shame the world of tanks crew snapped up those devs so they have to grind f2p mmo p2w crap for eternity

if someone made a decent f2p base building 3d multiplayer game that was pc/console and mobile crossplay it would be interesting but it wont fucking happen because normies cant into basic rts

If you're a program-fag, you'll like it.
If you're an RTS fag, you might.
If you're both, you'll love it.

Can you use java?

This is a little bit like Darwinia.
This concept is much more complex, though.

I'm a junior cs major in college and I like rts, so it sounds good

ye

Yall played it? Is there any depth to it?

I haven't played it and I dont know how to program. It does look pretty cool though.

another Warcraft RTS, but instead of Humans, Orcs, Night Elf and Undead, the races are now Alliance, Horde, Burning Legion and Titans.
Titans would be a mix of dragons, titans, golems, vrykul, miscellaneous ancient cool shit that you see throughout the game.

it wouldn't even really need to do anything different, maybe more elaborate base building and spells.

>literally writing micro code
Only thing i hate about rts is micro.

i just like base building, exploration and chillness

when i want to end the game i attack the other players and get stomped every time or just run out the clock and watch my little walled town get rekt

comfy

Big ass units that stomp tiny units

Balance

But the most important thing in the eye candy of RTS is the explosions done right

HOLY FUCK IT MAKES ME SO HARD TO WATCH A GOOD EXPLOSION IN AN RTS

Relic pre DoW2 had it spot on

Deserts of Kharak (old Relic devs) also had it spot on. The effect of the units going awry then exploding in a giant ball of flames and smoke that lasts a lot, with debirs, crater and a visible expansion blast makes me cum thousand suns.

FUCKING DINO RIDERS RTS YESSSSSS

Units that take skill and nuance to control effectively instead of "Bash your blob into the enemy's blob, and if yours is bigger you win".

RTS's that are purely about having the most efficient economy and correct timing with no way for a smaller force to overcome a larger one with strategy or skill are boring.

Buildings that generate money gradually but infinitely

Play a city builder, faggot

DINO RIDERS

OH MAN LOOK AT ALL THAT BAD ASS

A FUCKING ARMORED T REX THAT SHOOTS LASERS AND MISSILES

AW FUCK YE WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL THESE YEARS

Pre 2010 TA:Spring RTS had all this

wish i could go back and murder the current devs

fucking ruined what was one of the best rts games ive ever played.

Wunna hear how to get the game running now? with half of the features of the original versions?

>Install base game
>install lobby
>login
>download 'mod/game' which there is 100000000x different versions of the same xpac because the community is fragmented and retarded as fuck
>download 100000000x versions of the same 10 maps because nobody plays anything else
>Game doesnt start because its coded by a bunch of linuxtards who cant into windows
>?????//
>ragequit
>get bullied out of games when you do get it to work because 'ur a nub hahah get rekt'

the community of most rts games are complete cancer.

the only one i can tolerate is age of mythology as the player base doesnt mine just taking shit slow and relaxing
That shit is boring there is no challenge or variety.

this is so 80's it hurts

so glad the dinosaw/dragon meme died out it was so fucking retarded

Let's finally get a fucking RTS game with proper MASSES of units. For some reason everyone took the 200 pop cap in AoE2 as the end all be all, even though computers are 100x faster at this point. I want an RTS game where I can have Total War tier battles.

This shit right here is why I don't play RTS

Was thinking about getting TW:Warhammer because of the resistances and shit, figured it might help

Is this the case?

Once again RTS spring

Even with a beefy cpu the game starts to chug

as i said probably unoptimized linux tier crap

>mfw army of elephants in AoM or Ballista Ships>all
kek

Guess I'll pirate it when all the DLC is out then

Thanks f a m

FUCKING DIE DIE DI(E DIE DIE DIE

Games dead user

devs killed it and original aoe/aom devs are long gone

>We will never get Age of Empires 4 with all the retarded shit from 3 fixed
Oh well Halo wars 2 might not be shit since its on pc

3 completely distinct factions that are even further apart from one another than starcraft.

Like, they don't even harvest the same resources. eg:

Faction 1 - Conventional vespene/mineral deal
Faction 2 - Energy based. Harvests resources passively from sunlight (not at night then) or thermal vents. During combat energy damage received provides resources. Movement of any kind and damage dealt drains resources. Can switch off resource acquisition to apply continuous regen across all units (more affect the higher the net energy gain is)
Faction 3 - Converts matter into resources. Dead units from any faction can be harvested for resources. Can significantly increase damage reduction by making themselves ultra-dense at large continuous cost per unit. They can even devour parts of the battlefield for slow resource intake that makes them vulnerable. Enemy factions can vapourise parts of the map to make it inedible.
Balancing would be tough, but if the execution was good you would have enormous amounts of feedback to help you tweak it. You can deny another faction resources that you can't use yourself, or alter strategy to work around certain faction strengths.

As a non-RTS fag I assumed AoE was just the name of a troop or some shit

Is Warhammer worth playing or not?

>classical RTS genres is that the base building feels redundant. play a short game and if you know all the hotkeys the base building is just a formality. It adds nothing the the game itself.

How the fuck faggots like you with no spleen infiltrate every RTS thread and post the most stupid ill thought shit ever all the time

Why don't you go and make a thread about "RTS that aren't RTS and don't hurt my feelings"

Then they add a 4th faction years later via DLC and it ruins the game balance and fucks up the engine so bad the game is unplayable

I AM LOOKING AT YOU AGE OF MYTHOLOGY EXTENDED EDITION CHINA EXPANSION
The new warhammer? No i got it for free and its just generic total way with purdy graphics

I want EDF in RTS form.

Was Tale of the Dragon really that bad?

so basically he should go to a LoL /vg/eneral?

mobas are pure cancer.

like the nu tf2 and overwatch of fps

pirate it and see for yourself.

its just

>muh markets
>all the units are broken
>the gameengine is also broken
>animations, building models and literally everything else is broken
>techtree bugged
All of this never got fixed by the way and the game is pretty much abandoned.

they might be working on another expansion god help us

If you like Warhammer it's pretty gud

What if I love Warhammer and dislike RTS?

Why weren't there more RTS with manual logistics like Settlers? Shit, collected resources becoming untouchable in some invisible bank account is stupid gameplay. Getting loot was big part of warfare but basically no RTS made gaining loot possible. Only thing you could hope on getting were uncollected raw resources.

>One side controls a handful of super strong customizable units and the other has swarms of shit backed up by a few massive units
Might be cool.

Hard to say.
Try an earlier total war, if you like how the battles work then you'll like total warhammer since total war games have worked fairly similarly in battles since rome total war.

Something like that. Or, just treat it like a strategy puzzle game kind of thing where you have to figure out the best way to kill the ravager forces with the resources you have, so a similar kind of ethos as AI war? I didn't like the gameplay of AI war so much but I liked the concept a lot.

I dunno exactly why you guys are so mad, but if it has anything to do with total war fuck right off.

Total war is the epitome of everything shit and boring of RTS.

Its trying to be too many things and does literally none of them well. The overworld is outdone by any 4x hell its still outdone my heroes of might and magic 3. Also the actual 'battles' becoming boring so fast after you use each unit and a couple of big battles.

Classic

LEGO RTS

Go fuck yourself. I want my fucking cyborg dinosaurs

[Honk]

youtube.com/watch?v=d2xkpz-26jM

There was a really fun one for the nintendo DS that I used to play.

I need to find it

RTS where you have to protect your city from chimpouts. Graphics could look like a mix of city skylines and total war.

SWAT: Command Edition?

Clash royale's sparky is literally this. Play phone games.

>the enemy faction is just a guy with a chair

Modern warfare. Like C&C Generals.

These really.

I want this. It's like a game of conversion rather than violence. You'll need to use your different anime grills abilities to overcome and convert their forces before they do yours, to the point where they can no longer stop your cutie pies from overrunning and taking over their cute bases.

I want a 4X RTS game meant for 2 hour sessions.

Something of a dumbed down 4X game but on overdrive speed mode meant for competitive MP. Think of it as the Starcraft of 4X.

Should be *just* on the verge of actually requiring APM to be played

It's called Lego Battles. Campaign was really fun when I was a kid, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up. My only complaint would be that it doesn't do as much as it could with lego

I want two things, devanon.
I want a handful of base units which can each be turned into more an more advanced units as time passes in some giant ass class tree.

The second thing is I want strategy to fucking matter far more than micro and apm. Good luck with that second one, maybe try hefty bonuses and debuffs for flanking and being flanked and turning speeds for units so you can't just lol breakdance your way through fights.

The third thing is I want fantasy or mechs. Maybe fantasy mechs. Yes. I want dwarves with motherfuckign mechas fighting elven mages and shit. I'm not sure if I described warhammer because I never played it.

Indeed. Try Dominions 4 multiplayer.

I play RTS games mostly for the multiplayer.
That being said a "solid" single player campaign is super important a ton of people play only the campaign or vs the a.i.

One more thing ...for the love of god, have some good designers. I am not even talking about the graphics but stuff like the humans in grey goo are shit SHIT

The ability to customize every unit and share creations kinda like spore but not gay

> Good luck with that second one, maybe try hefty bonuses and debuffs for flanking and being flanked and turning speeds for units so you can't just lol breakdance your way through fights.

Lol

If you want micro to not matter is to make big blobs or units on which ordering them to take any action during combat is counter productive.

Which sucks because it means army cost and rock-paper-scissors balance is the only thing that matters.

Micro is not what people have trouble anyway. People generally suck at macro and economic decision making more than anything

I heard you can play that some way other than play by email?

total annihilation or age of empires, dont mix the two, but you either got resource management or complete unrestricted carnage.

THIS. I'VE BEEN WANTING A GAME LIKE THIS FOR YEARS. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Something without a "tech tree" in the sense that you go to a separate screen to unlock more units or buildings. Tech should be developed in real time by choosing what unit types you want to invest resources into according to what your scouting of the enemy tells you.

Streaming economy is also better than the more widely used resource system.

So-called blitzes, where you directly connect to other players.

Game becomes stressful as fuck, though.

Head over to /domg/ for more info.

I would like this.

BUT MAKE THE FOCUS MP

I WANT 4X/GS MP BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T EXIST OTHER THAN SoaSE AND ITS DEAD.

Make it so it can be played in an afternoon or less

coh thread?

fuck okw

Easy control using a Gamepad. Literally the only reason i don't play any RTS is because i emulate the mouse using an XBox controller, but it's a huge hassle navigating menus and the map/terrain.

Also, big fonts and big UI menus and elements (checkboxes, buttons, scrollbars, etc)

Why dont you just use a mouse?

Fucked wrists due to too much RTS and FPS, a gamepad is fine though.

This idea has a lot of potential, i´m surprised no one tried it yet. Maybe not even 4x, just a tbs.

Like a hex wargame designed for 1-2 hour multiplayer sessions with simple enough rules that anyone can just pick it up without too much trouble, simple rules in a turn based game are enough to spawn very deep strategy, think of chess and go.
Ditching realism and real world units is also a good idea. Very few people want to chose from 1000s of units named like PTZ-89 and ZTQ-63G and those who do always sperg out on little details, see the wargame series. Make it some sort of fantasy setting instead, preferably not too cliche.

any programmers in here? currently using game maker and want to make a weapon system that isnt based on animations but rather uses physics. Meaning the arm bends and moves as it follows the position of the mouse. Any good tutorials that i could start with?

Yeah. TBS could be fine too. Its just that real time gets rid of the notion of waiting for someone to do his turn.

Should be somewhere in between board games like Catan and PC 4x.

I don't understand the appeal of 4x games having all this wonderfully complex systems and research trees when the games are so long you can't play against humans and the game is so complicated the AI can't play it by the rules and has to cheat.

And alternative is play-by-mail turn systems, but you actually have to make individual turns significant unlike in most current 4x

I could try to do this. Expect shit graphics though.

I want giant insects and spiders

a best friend

I want memes.

Conquest of Elysium could be this if it wasn't so fucking tedious to play after a few hours

TONS OF UNITS OUT AT ONCE

TONS OF UNIT CHOICES

SMALL UNITS, MED UNITS, HUGE UNITS, BIG FUCKING CRAZY UNITS