City building

Why is this genre dead?

The comfiest genre to play during winter

What was even the last good city building game? I think Anno 1404?

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/game/zeus_poseidon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

cities skylines is pretty good famalam

Been playing Emp RoTMK recently, so comfy and fun. Just a really slow game though, sometimes too much so.

This. Shit is comfy af. And the fact you can name every little thing and designate districts and neighborhoods, comfy af

caesar v when

Sierra is now owned by Activision-Blizzard.
I'd like to see a HD upgrade with fancy graphics (but NO changes to gameplay), but I don't think Blizzard is interested in anything beyond their current money milking machines.

Any city building game
Setup public transportation
People will wait 75 hours for bus to go home/ to work.

CEASAR III, Pharoah still have a large place in my heart.

If I made a city building game, I'd put hazards like floods, hurricanes and muslims.

You just wanted to say muslims didn't you? Because Caesar III had disasters like earthquakes, failed crops, and pestilence.

pharaoh had those things, but with Bedouins instead of Muslims

How do I avoid traffic jams in Tropico 4? I got it free last week.

Is Modern Times worth it?

>tfw i have so many mods it takes almost 5 minutes to load

It gets old too fast and no real resource management or difficulty make it even worse

Best tropico? Money isn't a factor, so I can just pirate all the DLC

3 or 5

Cities: Skyline was released like a year ago you dumb nigger

I always wanted more historical themed city builders but in the style of Sim City where you only really control things like taxation, infrastructure, and zoning. Anything that's not Sim City has you managing things like trading for a specific number of tools, assigning workers, planting down every single building that ever goes up, etc.

I just want to be a comfy mayor of grand, ancient city and not a psychic hivemind leader directing traffic for drones.

>What was even the last good city building game?

I wish it came back strong, and without the damned walkers, requiring you to stick to efficient designs.

>my tops but not exclusive to city building
simcity 2000
sim tower
Anno 1404
rollercoaster tycoon 3
cities in motion

>serviceable at best
cities skyline (lack of strong guiding factors)
sim city 4 (basically broken leaking numbers)
sim city society (far too watered down)

Cities Skylines isn't a real city builder, you're just creating and solving traffic problems. It's a transport sim like CO's other games. You don't do anything with managing the city or its people or resources.

Tropico is pretty comfy due to its simplicity
The tropical setting is also comfy during winter

Yes, adds nice new buildings and policies. One of them being a metro station, which teleports your people. No need for cars anymore if you have good coverage.

If you don't get Modern Times, there are some guides around on how to minimise jams, but it's pretty hard since the game wasn't well-designed in that aspect.

It was modeled after Simcity which didn't do those things either.

Tropico 1 is great
Simcity 4 if you want something modern
Caesar 3 or Emperor if you want something with style
Banished for Village management
Dwarf Fortress if you want to be extreme

The genre has been perfected a long time ago.
There is nothing left to add and nothing to take away.

Try hearthlands it's alot like cesar.

I loved Zeus because of how important planning your roads was, it wasn't like tropico where you can just build roads in random places and put buildings around it, in Zeus you had to plan everything and if you fucked up the roads nothing would work in your city

It's disappointing that each Tropico only adds a dozen new buildings. 5's Modern buildings are very pretty, but there aren't many of them, so they clash with other styles.
No building has multiple models or skins either, so you end up samey looking if you have a large city.

I wish they would give Tropico instead of creating 6, and instead focus in a game where all building models blend together. Hopefully either futuristic or Victorian.

>not having the original on disc

Dat manual.

First town I'm not gridding the shit out of.

I got Anno 1404 a few days ago from a gog sale and dear god is it comfy as fuck

Am I the only one who thinks cities skylines is bad? There is no real management in the whole game. Simcity 4 or cesar could be difficult at times where micromanage everything. Cities you just keep placing buildings with almost infinite money and it's next to impossible to make your people upset even on hard. It's more like a modeling game where you like to watch the cars go around then satisfy the needs of a city.

>simcity 2000
My nigga. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one still playing this. I could never really move on to 3000 or 4 and enjoy it the same way.

That'd the only thing I fucking hate in Zeus. It boils down to looking for, or making your own block designs, and repeating them in every city.
The non-residential areas design's doesn't matter, you can throw them wherever, so the real city is the residential area. Which ends up looking almost always the same, if you want efficient designs.

This is the main reason I can't stand the Anno series. There are a couple of designs that are the most efficient, and you better stick to them as close as possible.

Placement and design matter a bit in Tropico, but not to the point where it gets restricted by efficiency.

Oh yeah, forgot to add. The problem with Zeus and Pharaoh is that you need to build your city areas in a loop, to maximise walker coverage.

This meant all blocks were 0 shaped, with houses and other buildings around it.

If you try to make a non-unidimensional city, you're screwed because walker's random patterns means parts of your city will be without food, water, collapse, catch fire, or some other shit.

Emperor did it a bit better, since you had toggleable roadblocks, but I still think it's bad design. Why can't the inhabitants get their food and water, instead of being served? I think that's how it worked in Caesar 4.

Or let the player draw walker paths.

I saw a screenshot of some user playing that and holy shit those towns and cities look straight out of my hentai RPGs.

Did the dev fix the music or is it still an atrocious loop ? Also the graphics are incredibly generic
Aside from that looks cool

>Own Tropico 4 and all it's DLC
>Never played it
>Decide to install and give it a go
>Need to sing up for yet another fucking launcher for no good reason
>Uninstall
>Realise afterwards there was a work around

Why can't devs just FUCK OFF with this shit already. Maybe I'll just pirate 4 or 5 later so I don't need to even bother doing a work around at all.

1. Haemimont Tropicos killed all difficulty.

>Or let the player draw walker paths.
Fucking this. I guess it would make the game easier but at least the cities would have much more variety and it would be more fun.

Is Grand Ages Rom any good?

I think the last update they added more music. Ya I'm not a fan of the art but the game plays well. With the exception of a few minor things.

I got a good amount of play out of it, but it's best to look up how the buildings interact. A good layout is important and follows rules different to most city builders.

I've pirated 5 and ran it without these bothers. I suggest you try it out, Modern Times 5 is better than 4's, though there's less variety. The DLCs are complete trash though, unlike 4's Modern Times.

Shit, I just redownloaded zeus+poseidon myself a week ago. Used to play the fuck out of it as a kid. Pretty sure it was my very first pc game too and back then I didn't know it got an expansion later either. Still fun as fuck to this day.

Which other ones should I try? Caesar, pharaoh or emperor? It's a shame emperor isn't on gog or on any legit digital distribution service. Seems weird since it was the latest one.

Depends on what is your favorite style. Pharaoh has great monument building, while Emperor is the most polished.

My dream game. Every Roman or Medieval city building game is really just an RTS game with shaved down combat mechanics. They can be fun don't get me wrong, but none of them have that satisfying feeling of "If you build it, they will come" that the old SimCity games had.

They're all mostly the same with different historical flavors and small changes to mechanics here and there. Just pick whichever civilization you fancy.

>I always wanted more historical themed city builders
>tfw no Victorian themed city builders

Where can I buy zeus

Because it already peaked. City builders age like fine wine.

I agree with you. CS lacks actual depth. Nice graphics and aesthetics for a city builder tho, that's the main reason I still play it.

gog

gog.com/game/zeus_poseidon

Probably because the SimCity games have an AI system that manages and guides the population. In a game like Anno or Caesar you have to build a town and give orders according to the limitations of the workers in order to get the most out of them as a resource and tool, whereas the Sims are autonomous and your job as mayor is to satisfy them.

Other games have something like a happiness meter, but it's no where near as complex as a Sim reacting to the lack of infrastructure, work, entertainment, and health, and them abandoning or immigrating to different parts of your city based on where they can get the most satisfaction.