Ok Cred Forums i don't get it, i know this game has it's fair share of fans but i just find it boring...

ok Cred Forums i don't get it, i know this game has it's fair share of fans but i just find it boring, you spend like an eternity just moving right fighting the same wolfs and birds for hours, and finding items you can't pick because your bag is so small and weapons that you don't know if they are shittier or not than you current one, only to die later because your stuff broke

i've played other roguelike, i don't mind having to repeat stuff but this game just feel tedious, what is it that fans of it like about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/266210/guides/#scrollTop=0
steamcommunity.com/app/409000/discussions/3/350533172679322728/?ctp=4
youtube.com/watch?v=tV_Ud0VA4RE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gameplay is more puzzle-like because of the scrolling wall. Makes the combat slightly more interesting than your average bumpfest. Also there's a good amount of build variety and the multiplayer gimmick is fun. I haven't played the DLC but the original game is good.

>finding items you can't pick because your bag is so small and weapons that you don't know if they are shittier or not than you current one, only to die later because your stuff broke
>i've played other roguelike
Ressources management is something you find in every roguelike so complaining about those is silly.

is there a trick to finding out NPC and items? i run out of energy so quickly it's kinda exasperating

maybe i should move more verticaly rather than horizontaly?

while this is true i've never played another roguelike where just picking another weapon was enough to make your inventory full, even just the item you start with are enough to fill 3/4 of your inventory

It's fun.

The DLC is way harder than the original, at least if you used to rely on Goddess cheese. The first 1000km are no longer free there, even for swordmaster.

What about the sequel what just came out like four days ago?

It's not a sequel, it's Chunsoft's "remake" of the game with their own Mystery Dungeon stuff. Like the trap cancer that, according to Vita reviews, are exactly like they are in Shiren the Wanderer games or in the hardcore Pokemon dungeons.

I have only watched one short Japanese stream when it just came out, and it looked like your usual OWH game with barely any differences. Don't know how good it really is.

The replay value of this game is pretty high once you master it.

>multiple endings
>multiple NPC partners with their own endings as well
>collecting rare items for the vault
>plenty of classes to play
>achievements for distance, difficulty level, character score, etc.
>3 different final bosses depending on your run
>challenge worlds

>check screenshots
>they literally have the Danganronpa students in the fucking game

You can pick Pack-rat as a starter perk to gain more carry weight, and certain classes will gain more naturally as well. With the right combination you can carry a lot of items early on. Weapons and equipment don't have curses, so it's safer to use whatever you find before ID'ing it. You can get a good guess as to what each item is based on it's type and weight, but it's better to keep what you already have ID'd if you can't carry enough. The game operates a bit differently than a typical roguelike in a lot of ways and comes with it's own unique hurdles to learn about, but there's a solution to every problem just like always.

Except traps in the new Myster Chronicles version. Why did they think that needed to be in the remake?

>maybe i should move more verticaly rather than horizontaly?
You should, the Darkness is rather slow so you can use this to explore more.

>maybe i should move more verticaly rather than horizontaly?
The darkness speed scales to how fast your going. It has a pretty slow fixed speed normally, but will speed up to always stay on-screen if you're making quick eastward progress. Stay closer to the west side of the screen if you don't want the darkness to overtake the areas you're exploring, and talk to Iris to learn about what sort of elements you can expect more of in each biome. Some biomes generate more of certain items you might be looking for, like prairies have a lot Nayuta Fruit for when you need energy. Stick around longer in biomes that have what you need and try to speed through biomes that suck ass.
Keep an eye out for dark-grey squares on the mini-map as they often indicate where a dungeon or town is located. Town's can be invaluable help, so make sure you don't miss an opportunity to visit one. Even if you can't afford something, there's always murder.

>expecting quality from spike cuntsoft

There was a Fist of the North Star class too, but it's not in our version because licensing. One Way Heroics Plus is better anyways. Myster Chronicles is only good for being a portable version of the game.

>our version

Who else is playing the Spike Chunsoft version? It's pretty nice too. I can't for the life of me find Coco though.

Were there DLCs beside that one? SteamDB states 10 or so DLCs, so maybe we're getting that DLC too.

I was kinda turned off a bit by the clunkier interface and some of the changes. Some of the upgraded art is nice, but I think the new characters lack the charm the original had. At least Dosey is still best girl.

It doesn't scale to your speed, it just catches up if you are less than 4 tiles away from the left edge. The speed is always the same otherwise.

I think Coco is likely going to be best girl for me. She sounds so cute, never met her yet though.

I think the original + DLC is amazing, Chunsofts worth picking up?

I've looted 1 chests so far!

Sure. If you already have the original it's probably a good idea to get the remake as well.

Oh its just a remake? that sucks. I thought it had extra stuff or shit.

It does, there's a lot of stuff that's different. It's up to you to decide if it's an improvement though.

I'd say no.

The remake looks prettier but it runs at 30 fps, yet plays like it's running at 15fps. Every time you move there's a huge lag while every other creature in the game moves (in the original, all these happened while you moved and there was basically no lag whatsoever). The only time I've ever found a town where I could actually spend money was in the tutorial. There are traps randomly placed are entirely undetectable unless you're a ranger or swipe in front of you after every step. It feels like useful equipment is also seldom found, so you travel 800km and ultimately die to something far stronger than you could hope to beat because the game outright refuses to give you anything better than the weapon you started with, which is now broken.

It's all thanks to my Naughty Frieda!

All DLCs are already included in the localized version, excepting Fist of the Noth Star.

It's different in some ways, the story is also different afaik.

>ctrl now drops items instead of reorganizing them

Goddammit. Don't think you can change this without fucking up all the other controls either.

I'd say the biggest problems are the traps and the towns being way harder to find. Traps just turn into a tedious chore to check for unless you want to be liable for an RNG death. Towns are way too small now, there's no hint as to where they are on the mini-map anymore, and the view distance was shortened making it neigh impossible to find any. You can't even use Detect to scan for them anymore since the NPCs in them don't spawn until you're literally right on top of the town.

I kinda wish they'd show gamepad controls too, though Spike said it was in the to do list.

This game could be as good as the originals, but it would require so much patching, I don't think it'll happen with two console versions as well.

I like One Way Heroics because it's a roguelike without the bullshit. Not to imply that the bullshit isn't fun in it's own way too, but it's nice to have a roguelike you can just pick up and play a quick run in without having to put up with invisible death traps and meta-game elements like level scaling. It's just faster and easier to get in to and you have a lot of options to scale the difficulty to wherever you want it.

>but it's nice to have a roguelike you can just pick up and play a quick run in without having to put up with invisible death traps

What a shame it is that MC OWH decided it should introduce them.

The remake is shit; traps are pure RNG that can only be detected by attacking them, so the only way you'd find them is to attack before you move every single time. There is literally nothing else you can do to detect or avoid them, so carrying bombs is now having a death wish because at any moment you can step on a land mine and instantly die as your bombs go off.
It also runs like shit, capped at 30fps and has horrible stutter on top of that in both menus and gameplay, the menus are a goddamn clusterfuck of worse functionality than before, companions are useless and talk way too goddamn much and 90% of the dialogue is teasing innuendo.
My biggest gripe is that buildings don't have their tiles shown on the minimap anymore so you can only find them by dumb luck or area map scrolls, which are now significantly less common.

You mean the right edge.

>the menus are a goddamn clusterfuck of worse functionality than before

Goddamn, I have to wonder why they did it.

>original game's purchase menu can confirm or cancel the trade
>remake's purchase menu splits that into two different menus, one solely for confirming the trade and the other solely for canceling it

Fucking why?

>remake

It's a spinoff, goddammit. Mystery Dungeon is basically a line of roguelike spinoffs of other IPs (Pokemon, DQ, EO, etc.) and it just so happens that this time they spun off another roguelike so there's more obvious similarities and borrowed mechanics, but otherwise it's meant to be its own thing.

>placeholder text for empty accessory slot changed from "Nothing" to "No"
>can't have a "Glad I'm wearing my Nothing" comment anymore
What am I supposed to do now, look for Naughty Mila every playthrough?

The new companions are shit and overly cliche i liked every single one of the companions in the original games. I miss panty and the original dossey.

Who else here got to the end of the dimension?

>Shortcut menu designed for consoles, original version's numbered hotkeys removed
>Every single menu item, even talking to NPCs, now has a prompt for whether you want to use it or add it to the shortcut menu, effectively doubling the number of keypresses needed
>Because the shortcut menu is a radial menu where you have to open, select, and confirm, it isn't actually any faster to use than just opening the menu

Oh, and the music in MC is completely forgettable too.

I've gotten there before, but I don't think I have any pics of it.

>original version's numbered hotkeys removed

Eh, I never used the numbered hotkeys anyway. I used the scrolling hotkey bar, which I still prefer to the radial.

>I used the scrolling hotkey bar, which I still prefer to the radial.
Well, so did I. But my bigger complaint is with the forced extra prompt moreso than the change of shortcut style. I get pretty bad RSI, so any game forcing needless extra button prompts pisses me off..

>one solely for confirming the trade

Also, this is set to a different button that you aren't allowed to remap.

>open shortcut radial
>press shortcut button again
>it cancels the radial

Why? Why doesn't it confirm instead?

>finally found the brown loli

>using the vault

Ugly.

The vault is your only source of buddy tablets most of the time, since any other time you find them you're likely past having any use for them.

No sexy maid pic for you!

Pulled Freida's Letter and some other things out. They gave em to me, I'll use it unless I'm doing an Inhumane Odyssey run.

>Swordmaster C in MC is just a recolor of turboslut

>Short hair
That isn't sexy at all.

>hating on brown lolis
Faggot.

Your opinion is incorrect.

Is it just me, or are throwing stones totally shit now, except when enemies throw them at you?

Brown lolis are fine, but that one looks like shit.

you can kill a skellington with one stone, now you know what sucks? everything armored is unkillable unless you use abilities. And good luck with those dullahan that can attack in combos with a spear/lance

Plus or MC? They are powerful as fuck in normal OWH games, from my experience.

Short hair sucks. And the character sprite has long hair.

>except when enemies throw them at you?

I learned not to underestimate rocks the hard way.

Type C adventurer has short hair, I just couldn't find a picture of swordmaster. Swordmaster maid is not even a catgirl.

>almost all art on the internet is by the official artist
It's a crime, I tell ya.

from the original or remake?
i can take the pic for you

Adventurer type C in both original and plus.

Oh, I forgot that adventurer C was a maid as well. Looking at that again now, my new problem is that the hair isn't nearly wild enough as it seems in the sprite and portrait.

MC. Rocks are great in the original game.

Oh, you can throw arrows without equipping them again in MC.

i meant original as in plus and remake as in mystery chronicle.
Still taking the pics for you (also i could take the original too)

>liking old hags
Opinion discarded.

Goddamn, this separate purchase button is pissing me off to no end.

Huh, looks like they are selling these things again, probably thanks to MC. Is OWH prominent in Japan?

i dont got any save for the original, sorry.
Also havent unlocked adventurer c on MC

It's a good game but I do not like games that forces you to read guides to be able to get the "true" ending. There's no way you would be able to figure out how to fight the true last boss without reading a guide.

If you're talking about the Darkness, they pretty much outright tell you how to fight it if you reach the end of the world.

And you throw them three spaces ahead too.

Has this dungeon ever spawned entrance-first for you? Every single time I find it, I have to tear down a wall for that XP.

>[Crit/Crit/Crit/Crit/

When the fuck did Swordmaster become the crutch class?

Even after the nerf Hero still breaks the game.

>bat bomb
Who the hell thought this enemy was a good idea?

>it doesn't even die after attacking
Jesus Christ, like I really wanted to fight sentient Elzite bombs that can attack repeatedly.

Knight C is best character.

The first time I came across that NPC I lost it.

Nigger what? It's super obvious.

>All the endings have references to what is actually happening
>One ending in particular straight up tells you how to initiate the real boss fight
>"There's no way you would be able to figure out how to fight the true last boss without reading a guide"

Don't forget that the Travel Journal ending also provides an alternate means of initiating the battle.

I hope this gets Smoking Wolf to think about making OWH++.

It got them thinking of something, at least.

Although I thought the guy(s?) behind this was busy with some furry space game with Frieda lookalike MC.

>tfw you bought this game before it came to steam

feels good.

Probably not.
When OWH+ was in development, smoking wolf was approached by spikechunsoft about having a console port of it, so they banded together to do that. Somewhere in the middle of development smoking wolf went to dedicating himself entirely to OWH+ and spikechunsoft did a name change on the port and turned it into their own thing they could toy around with.

Pretty much it started as a port of OWH+, but became it's own thing as time went on. I doubt it's going to be any sort of catalyst for another major update or sequel.

A One Way Heroics tabletop RPG. I wonder if you can fight the Darkness and go to the Dimensional Passage.

Entering Lava. You are already melted.

;_;

Could you survive walking into lava with 100% force nullification?

This game doesn't have enough artwork.

Probably not, Lava is just considered instant death, same with pits.

Yeah.

Adventurer type C on the remake

Still the best one, at least in that picture.

Why is that corpse eating my food?

>Class Half-Beast

I like adventurer c more adventurer a looks like shirou and adventurer b looks like a grownup felt from re zero.

Because it heals her. Somehow.

I need to see the remake's Hero characters. And their naked sprites.

dont make me post it user
i only got A and B

>twitter is required to comment in MC
Now how am I supposed to meme it up?

My gripes were the shitty framerate, the traps (triggered one that added a durability loss bonus on my armor) and the separate buy button.

Other than that it seems to be owh plus.

Why?

The titty monster is kinda okay, but these kemos are a huge letdown after OWH's.

>playing on hard, no dream vault mode as adventurer
End my suffering

Dosey's Quest, staring Dosey and Dosey.

im sorry user
you cant make those end game comments like in the original/plus without a twitter account
one thing i hate besides the framerate, walking events are a mess, nothing fun happens anymore.
Ex: sometimes before you could be dying and be healed, or be running and hasted. Or see the ghost of deceased adventurers (i havent seen a ghost of anyone in the remake)

You need a twatter for the ghost part, I think.

What difficulty do you guys play on?

guess im not getting ghosts then

>you cant make those end game comments like in the original/plus without a twitter account
Fucking retarded.

thanks for my next pirate

ARRRRRRRRRRRRR

Easy at the moment to get used to all the new things.

Original seems alot better but I want portability so im just playing the remake, Vita version has 0 problems and is quite nice

I'd Zenra Type B's Wave.

Where are the Zenura'd versions?

Only found this.

Good, good...

So as a first-time player, should I go for the original or the remake?

also, anyone know if there are any torrent for OWH+? only one i've found doesn't have it

OWH+, and just buy it? Its quite cheap

Just get OWH, if you enjoy it spend the money on PLUS later.

ORIGINAL owh. Plus has way more stuff to do, but way more rng bullshit.

That "strong enemies appear" bullshit is what turns me off of getting too far into OWH. I beat inhumane odyssey maniac mode by ending the darkness and reaching 10k km too, but losing runs because the game decides to spawn a double movement fire breathing polar bear at the very first snow terrain pisses me off.

How're you suppose to play a Force user? I always run out of Energy and there's never any to be found in the maps.

Make sure to play as the pirate class.

I dont remember but i think force user was the easiest class at least for me, you obliterate everything

Avoid enemies a lot and focus on the ones with modifiers worth lots of XP. Also learn to gauge if you can kill something without magic to conserve energy if you just use flame on everything you'll die. Also you can use flame to cook meat.

Meditate and then don't cast spells, since just sneezing at most enemies will end them.

The ones with double movement will give you headache, though. And getting surrounded sucks.

But if you play on hard you have to use spell to even kill small enemies..unless you want to lose 70% of your hp.

Torch furry animals. If the Jade Hunters have a problem with it, just torch them too.

steamcommunity.com/app/266210/guides/#scrollTop=0

Every time I get close to finishing one of the class quests some bullshit thing happens and I die.

Every time Dosey appears on the map some asshole +4 Wolf shows up to kill her.

I swear to god I had found the final divination quest NPC and a boss flying bomb spawned and he and his lackeys nuked him.

>Every time Dosey appears on the map some asshole +4 Wolf shows up to kill her.
This is normal for all versions of OWH. You either have 0 charisma, or you never reach the NPC in time.

Those flying bombs are fucking annoying unless you got are a ranged hero, they got a lot of agility and can attack twice giving you burning each time, burning lv 2 is a death sentence in early/mid range

From what I understand, Chunsoft contacted the original dev and asked him if they could make their own version.

He gave them permission but had no personal involvement in the project. That's why the balance is kinda fucked, the story is different, and it's somewhat lacking in the charm the original had.

Gruelling, most of the time. Normal is too easy once you get used to it, but Inhumane is still pretty difficult.

The titty monster bunny is alright, but blonde Dosey is the real waifu.
The shota awoo just looks dopey.

>tfw trying to beat Inhumane Odyssey with all classes
>it will never happen because Tourist exists

I had to complete the journal in Afternoon Stroll. I've beaten max difficulty with several other classes but Tourist is just fucked.

Agreed, I have yet to find a combination of perk that would make the tourist somewhat decent.

Awakening exists for a reason.

If you can get a skill trainer to teach you Dash early in the game you can get pretty far while sniping wildlife for EXP. It all goes downhill when a miniboss Bat that moves 3 times per turn comes to rape your face.

>tfw the remake is destroying my ass at the 1000 mark

give me some tips lads
The enemies just don't stop spawning,goddamn

Anyone used the duelist charm?
I dont want to die on such a good run

Do you smell that son? yes the smell of a casual.

Go hero and zenra your ass when you are in trouble. Always keep teleportation potions on yourself so you can skedaddle and not get buttraped. Use one charisma perk to get some companion for your butt at the beginning.

There is a mini-dash teacher you can buy with coins. Is his skill any worse than normal dash?

In the original? It's once a day for 7 turns and costs 2 agility I think, but doesn't drain stam oddly enough.

It's not as good no.

Got any tips for Hard/Maniac as adventurer? My best run involved me lucking out with a bow but I usually get ass raped otherwise.

Nvm he was ez modo, also if you defeat him he escorts you for 300km

what do i do?

Toki wo tomare

got a bridge, or tele pot?

Lucky me i had a magic bridge, and found a treasure chest room

only for it to warp back and spawn enemies

Absolutely no problem, smack them all then move on.

>hero
>zenura weave
>wrestler wrestler wrestler wrestler wrestler
Gg ez

the battle axe missed all of its hits

i just got here, what is this ui? was there an update?

Mystery chronicle: one way heroics, not the original or plus

Worth getting? i have the orignal and the dlc

Read this first: steamcommunity.com/app/409000/discussions/3/350533172679322728/?ctp=4
The game also has better art and a lot of semen demons.

Its good so far, though it got problems with framerate and videos.
Though traps are some rng bullshit, and writting messages/ghosts require you to use a twitter account.

>get surrounded
>get hit by a critical in the back
>die
Zenura Wave also got nerfed in the Plus DLC, you gain 66% less XP after using it.

How do you get extra colors?

>Please log into twitter

Yeah I learned to get a good distance before using it so I can atleast get extra skills/allies and use the shrines

Just make a throw away account

First-time fag here. What does "attack power" mean, exactly? Is it just the attack stat listed on the weapon, or is it something else?

The bigger the number, the more ouch in the pouch.

>Play with 3 charisma
>Not a single companion to be seen
>Play with no Charisma
>Every companion and their mothers show up
I HATE IT

THIS, LITERALLY THIS

LIKE NIGGA I AINT NEVER HAD A PARTNER EXCEPT A FUCKING DOG, AND RETIRED SOLDIER THAT'S GIVEN TO YOU DURING DEMON LORD

And speaking of, how do you recruit him for the true ending?

Well I get that, but I mean, does the attack stat listed in a weapon's info mean attack power, or is attack power something different from a weapon's attack stat?
I'm asking since I'm wondering if a 10-attack weapon with 3 quality-s is better than an 18-attack weapon, since the 3 quality-s would make the first weapon's attack 31 or something if attack = attack power.

No thanks bro, i didnt need to make one for OWH+

It'd be cool if they put in workshop support for lewd mods.

So, are the companions in the remake Difficulty restricted or is it just luck based?

Actually nevermind, I redid the math and the quality-s might actually make the weapon's attack 11-ish instead. (at least, depending on whether the game adds the multipliers up and then multiplies, or just multiplies the attack individually, which I'm guessing it does the latter)
So I'm a retard regardless!

Better character art on a technical level. The new environments and sprites are shit. It's like the FF5 phone port compared to the original.

To recruit the demon lord, you need several things.

At least one holy weapon from a shrine.
Buddy Tablets. (Obtainable from Dosey's quest, put them in the dimension vault.)
3 Charisma

You must throw the Holy Weapon into the Darkness from somewhat close range, triggering the actual fight against it, then you must equip any weapon and attack it (and hurt it). When the demon lord shows up, immediately toss the tablets and they'll stop fighting you and become talkative. You can then recruit them with 3 Charisma. The Demon Lord will not join you unless you've actually hurt the Darkness.

You can do all of this within quick succession in order to not need a second holy weapon.

Well fuck me sideways, I didn't know fighting the darkness was an option, thanks!

Learn to pick your battles search fo low level dungeons with dogs or zombies inside sooner or later you will find a good weapon or two or at least a weapon so you dont go barehanded.

Why are there so many sealed wooden buildings filled with angry dogs? How did they get there?

They butchered dossey personality.

youtube.com/watch?v=tV_Ud0VA4RE

This music was two millions times better. The new songs are trash.

Usually on hard, I don't get the chance and die sooner rather than later but I'll keep it in mind. Any tips for melee combat? It seems like ranged combat is vastly superior, you only need a decent bow and some arrows whereas with melee you need a good weapon, a shield and good armor.

I always assumed it was some sort of kennel
or a quarantined area for people like dosey

This, remakes music is complete shit compared to +

Do you get more perk slots in the remake or are you stuck with 3?

If i remember correctly in OWH+ you can get 5, same for the remake

The actual dungeon name is "Kennel".

It's literally a kennel full of dogs with some inexplicable treasure chests.

With adventurer and turist classes is okay to use the vault to get some armor and weapon.

Why the online gameplay is desterted in the remake? i can only find the same fucking dude using doseyclass.

Because to appear to others you got to use a twitter account probably

Anyone?

>"I sense a holy item nearby!"
>The entrance is blocked by mountains

I really, really hope you've been playing the + version. Because yeah, the non+ version grows boring quickly.

fly, bridges, mountain climbing, jump
You could use any of those