Dragon Quest Discussion

So I've been playing Dragon Quest IV DS a bit thanks to the recent DQVII 3DS threads, and I'm honestly rather surprised at how good the whole game is. Not just in comparison to its NES origins, but to a lot of current JRPGs in general. A lot of JRPGs these days just follow a formula of stop at a town, buy equipment, pass through the next cave, stop at the next town, and repeat. (Something that FF7 did a lot.) By contrast, a lot of the story in DQ4 involves just being pointed in a general direction of where to go. When you start the fifth chapter as the Hero, you're told to head west to Endor, assuming that you are familiar with the town after spending two chapters there. When you fight and kill the Marquis de Léon, you're told that Balzack is in Zamoksva, assuming you remember that Zamoksva is Alena's home castle and that you remember where it was. Even when you get there, rather than forcing you to take some winding route through a ruined empty castle - to give everyone in your party a few levels - you instead have a straight shot at Balzack, and are free to get your ass handed to you if you rush in immediately due to Balzack not being vulnerable to Fizzle.

This is a bit of a surprise, given that the last DQ game I played was Dragon Quest IX, and that one was disappointingly linear now that I think about it. You never had a reason (and frequently not the chance) to go back to previously visited towns in DQ9 outside some of the postgame quests.

Did anybody else notice any such differences with the Dragon Quest series, where you are mostly left to your own devices on how you run around the world? How come the point doesn't come up more often in Dragon Quest discussion?

Meena is the best companion even though Kiryl was more useful.

>So I've been playing Dragon Quest IV DS
how do you feel about no party chat

Fairly disappointing, especially looking at how Final Fantasy IV DS handled it. That said, I never played the iOS version so I'm mostly considering the game fresh; I'd only played DQ1-3 on NES and Game Boy along with DQ9.

Looking back, DQ3 had a lot of the same good points and even DQ2 did as well, although a bit less so.

But Kiryl can't protect you against the elements like Meena can.

Yeah they typically cut the bullshit. They have some annoying sections but typically you get pure jrpg goodness.

Bought VII today and five hours in, love it.

I should note that I really liked how nearly every town received two dialogue options, one for when you have the returning character in your party and one for when you didn't. It was nice to see people talking about Torneko (who grew up there) or Ragnar (who saved all the children) when they weren't in your party, but speaking to the character directly when they were.

Also, looking through the wiki at images, why the fuck does everyone look so pissed with the newest releases? They generally look happy and cheerful with the original art.

What you describe is what happens all over the second and third disc in FF7, or many other FF games actually.

Its kinda standard. Spend the first half of the game getting to new places and then in the last half you kinda recycle the areas and make players revisit them.

Nothing wrong with that though.

What am I in for? The, "What is Dragon Quest Builders?" video made it look far closer to Terraria instead of Minecraft. And it looked fun

I'm interested myself. It looks like Minecraft but with polished RPG elements and the Dragon Quest name. And I mean that in a positive way, modded Minecraft can be fun with the right stuff.

>Yeah they typically cut the bullshit.
This is exactly what I enjoyed about it. I'm not forced to wander through a lengthy cavern system for two hours just to get to the boss. I can walk right up to them. Frequently that's a terrible idea, but the game doesn't stop you if you want to.

And when Balzack kicked my ass? I wandered around, doing some exploring again while gaining gold and levels. (I generally needed gold more than the levels.) I ended up going back to the areas from Chapter 1, found out about the dreaming, and ended up with a good idea of what to do with the Magma Staff and flute when Balzack was dead. Again, no pointing to where I needed to go or being forced along a path to get there; I needed to figure that out on my own.

She's not high enough level to do that, yet. Right now it's Kiryl with Kabuff and then Fizzle, while Meena's best contribution in fights is Midheal. On the other hand, she learned Midheal and Zing sooner than Kiryl, and is a higher level to boot.

Final Fantasy tends to handle things a bit differently than Dragon Quest. You are generally sent through a lengthy dungeon or walk to get anywhere, to ensure you are the appropriate level, but a lot do have an airship and open up for later in the game.

However, a lot of PS1 RPGs seem like they took cues from the beginning of FF7 and not the post-airship part. You have Legend of Legaia, which is basically one straight romp from the only town you can access to the only dungeon you can access to the next one town you can access, and so on.
Same problem with Star Ocean 2, for the most part.

Final Fantasy 13 feels like it just took cues from all those games in its design, and not to good effect.

>IV DS
Disgusting. NES is best.

Unfortunately, I only had the first three on NES. Dragon Warrior IV was rare as fuck and not exactly something I could convince a parent to pick up when it came out. Some aspects of DQ4 DS are a bit annoying, such as identifying doors on the side walls or behind houses - something that was probably easy in the NES version - but I do enjoy the free diagonal movement with the DS game. I would not want to give that up.

Accents are a bit hit-or-miss. I honestly think they could be done better, as it feels like everyone is speaking with a mouth full of marbles rather than presenting different dialects effectively. But then again, at least it's not just Ye Olde Engrish.

So what are all these reports of the orchestra hack breaking emunands? Is that a real thing? I was about to switch.

Ah well, it was a good thread while it lasted.

>Pros
shit ton of monsters unlike monster hunter
NPCs
first open world/arpg Dragon Quest
>cons
no online

So its good then? Nice.

>No HANS patch for DQVII

That said, the MIDI tracks are pretty good.

From what I saw in a review, its not really open-world like minecraft, since the cycle is you rebuild a town, fight a boss monster, get sent onto the next town with no building memory.

Holy shit I had an enormously annoying time trying and failing to find Dragon Quest 7 out in the wild.

I called my local Target after work, they said they had three copies. I get there and they suddenly can't find any of them, they apologize profusely and tell me that the other Target across town has three copies. I call them and they tell me they also can't find their copies anywhere

So I drove home, stopping at GameStop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and every other place I could think of. No luck at all. People even went and checked the back for me at nearly every location.

I guess I'm just buying it online now. Yay I get to play it next week :/

That sucks. But maybe its a good sign that the hype machine is working and people are rushing to get the game.

Also, places like Fry's, Best Buy and Target broke the street date and released the games before today. So that's why you might be having a hard time finding them. My Fry's had 7 copies however. I doubt all of them sold, or else this is the fastest selling DQ yet.

I have a feeling that some of the stores I visited just had people who didn't give a fuck. I live in New Orleans and some of the cashiers don't give any kind of a fuck.

But yeah we actually have a pretty active Nintendo fanbase around here, I hope that DQ7 has just been selling that well. Like you said it sucks, but at least it's probably a good sign.

Holy shit the first hour of VII was so bad. No story, no characters that weren't annoying, loads of backtracking, and the most woeful item fetch quest ever.

Clearly you have never played Golden Sun or Suikoden V.

>start playing Dragon Quest VII on my hacked 3DS
>there's a character named Pepe

Holy shit. I mean, I knew Treehouse has been going crazy inserting memes into every localization, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Wait till you get to Autonymous.

I've (re)played Golden Sun just a few months ago. It's opening hour starts off big with the story kicking off right then and there, not to mention getting you right into a dungeon with puzzles super quickly.

Fuck if GS was only half as good as DQ3 or 5.

WORDS WORDS WORDS

The guy from the herb growing town? It was Pepe in the PSX version's localization, too.

>tfw this shitposter probably won't kill himself

I played the mobile version of IV recently, and the party chat isn't all that.

Still a fantastic game though. VII is amazing so far, though with the amount of time I spend with work and obligations I have no idea how i'll beat it before VIII with what people say about the length.

Anyone who says Pokemons framerate is shit clearly never played DQVII 3DS. Selecting shit in the menus both in and out of battle is the very definition of laggy.

From what I hear that's just the version that we got. It runs fine in the Japanese version apparently. I've dealt with worse, I remember Code of Princess, but it is annoying. Now i'm worried about VIII though, and I really hope they don't switch the orchestra for midi's on that one.

Not nearly as bad as 7th Dragon. Almost makes you feel handicapped navigating.

I haven't noticed any lag. Are you playing on o3DS?

I don't know if things have majorly changed with the 3DS release, but the time mentioned for DQ7 PS1 is certainly accurate. Games like Final Fantasy 7 loved claiming 70 hours of playtime, but that was generally thanks to all the sidequest and minigames. Dragon Quest 7 was easily 70 hours just for the main game, without any side content.

Is DQ7 good enough for someone who isn't terribly into JRPGs to pick up or should I just wait for DG8

>I haven't noticed any lag. Are you playing on o3DS?
Playing on a 2DS. The game doesn't have any n3DS enhancements anyway, so model really wouldn't matter.

Grab a DS if you still have one and load up one of the DQs on there and place it side by side with VII. Selecting anything in battle, or even flipping between the attributes menu out of battles is very clearly slower than in the DS games.

how many STDs do you think she had?

Might be something that was fucked up in the localization of the game. The Japanese version didn't had lag.

It's mostly for people who like older JRPGs, or liked some simple older WRPGs before they all turned into part-time action games. This is especially true with DQ7, which is quite lengthy and you'll be doing a lot of visiting town and generic enemy fights while wandering around.

You'd probably be best off waiting for DQ8 if you aren't fine with that idea.

No one bothers with HANS anymore
Hell, the bitch that made the uncensor patches for both Bravely games PULLED their HANS patches for literally no reason at all.

None. The guys were kept behind a fence and off the stage. Plus, she'd want to be a good girl for her sister.

sounds kind of like dark cloud or something

>good girl for her sister.
she was taking all their money and gambling it away in Endor. she was hardly a good girl

Nothing wrong with some gambling. Gotta fund your quest for revenge somehow, you know?

So in DQVIII on 3DS, how much content did they add? I hear there's some new story sequences, a new ending, and even two more party members.

That makes no sense, but it wouldn't be the first time they acted like cunts. At least no romf is far from a deal-breaker.

About an hours worth.

-On Field enemy encounters replace random battles
-New monsters to collect for Morrie's Pit
-Two new playable characters
-New story events (I know Medea and Marcello have new chapters, don't know who else)
-New skill trees
-Alternate ending
-New armor
-New Alchemy Pot recipes
-Alchemy Pot is instant from the get go
-There's some new function on the lower screen map but I don't know any details
-Voice acting and orchestrated music added for the Japanese release (they never had either one)

>-Alchemy Pot is instant from the get go
Fucking nice!

>-Voice acting and orchestrated music added for the Japanese release
I don't know if I should be worried about these being gutted for the Western 3DS release.

>Tongue Fu Fighter
Augh, the puns, the puns! They burn!

The puns have only just begun

There are very few things in Dragon Quest that aren't a pun, an alliteration, or both

So what character in DQ7 is most suited to be a healer? I'm a long way off from getting classes but it seems like so far Hero learns the most healing spells naturally.

Ruff

I'm thinking on getting DQ7, but I don't have a 3DS and I need to budget for a lot of things I want this month.

Is the 3D really important in DQ7 or can I just buy a 2DS?

3D isn't important for any game except for a few optical illusion bonus rooms in Mario 3D Land

2D is pretty shit though, save up and get a N3DS. With Homebrew you can make any game run better on it, even ones that came out before the N3DS was a thing (like DQ7)

I haven't even turned the 3D on at all so I'd say its not important. However, I would very much recommend to buy a 3DS XL instead of a 2DS.

its true DQ3 has the best dragon quest ending?
which is the best version to play?

Yeah, I suppose he is the fastest, and doesn't seem very strong so far. I only just got him though. I'll see how things are once I actually unlock classes and shit.

yes I love dragon quest so much. even the spin offs are top tier. the monsters games are amazing. and the games always have such great soundtracks too. I never understood why final fantasy was more popular

The 3D effect is pretty nice in DQVII compared to other games, but the only game it's anything more than a neat visual gimmick is Super Mario 3D Land.

I have 2DS I use to play EU imports on, it's alright. I'd go for the original 3DS over it though.

The 3D isn't important in any 3DS game. It's just a novelty.

Super Famicom port with the English patch.

What makes Ruff good for healing spells is that once he joins he actually stays in the party. Compared to everyone who comes and goes constantly.

So...

This game...

...was supposed to have Party Chat, right?

Guys?

Final Fantasy has one of the top 5 marketing budgets in all of video game history.

Dragon Quest has almost no marketing.

My main gripe with DQIV is how you literally had to start over from level one 4 times. Think if you played Wild Arms (any) and each toon had 2-5 hour campaign at the character select alone, and it took 20 hours of playtime to finally come together.

There is just enough lag to annoy me. The menus feel slightly unresponsive and the framerate drops noticeably in battles. Is it better for you guys with hacked n3DS?

>I never understood why final fantasy was more popular
It's easier to get into and easier to get through. Dragon Quest makes you pay attention to know where you need to go. Final Fantasy holds your hand through most of the game, and isn't light on pointing out the direction you need to go for the rest of it.

Yes, and the phone version has it

IV or VII? It's the B Button for VII.

For IV, it was gutted.

>toon

It didn't actually bother me too much personally because for some reason in DQ games the early levels are my favorite part gameplay-wise

I'm playing on a n3DS with the overclock thing turned on and I only notice frame drops when there's a lot of shit in a town and I try to rotate the camera. I do notice some kind of input delay in the menus though, but not all the time.

Press B

DQIV? Yeah, the localized DS version is missing party chat because Square Enix were lazy/cheap fucks. It's in the iOS/Android port, though.

DQVII has party chat, either hit Talk in the menu when not facing anyone or just press B.

On my O3DS I don't notice drops in battle, but there is definitely some lag with the menus.

It's REALLY bad when looking at attributes.

So which one of you fags is gonna draw Maeve getting her abs licked?

>talk to dude who dug up his garden because monsters told him to
>Keifer: lets go to the cave!
>Maribelle: where ma maeve

>save dudes life and agree to join him for some monster bashing
>Keifer: ...
>Maribelle: ...

>Press B button: receive generic / no dialogue
This is a far cry from VI's party chat.

I had more start showing up later. Most NPC's on the fire worshiping island had unique party chat after talking to them.

>first cave/dungeon doesn't have a single treasure chest
man I thought they'd "hide" at least one behind a block pushing puzzle

There's more later
Especially once Ruff becomes able to talk

They removed all the puzzles from the shrine in DQ7? What's worse, they added some retarded fairy to delegate walking and pedestal selection tasks?

That was a little upsetting to experience. It ruined the whole mystery of what the tablets do, since the fairy mentions regions.

I can understand the PS1 version's shrine was a test of patience more than anything, but to replace some neat puzzles with a super-basic fetch quest was not the answer.

Having a central hub for the pillars and less rooms to run through in the shrine is one of the best improvements of the game.

You'll be loving that change when you remember how many times you need to run in and out of the shrine. No more 10 loading screens every time you want to go somewhere in the past.

I like having the pedestals easy to access and understand speeding up the pace, but the fairy dude is too much. Some mystical pedestal control panel would've been better.

I feel disconnected with the party because of that. You get used to playing the fighter, healer, mage and all of a sudden you switch to a fatass and two gypsies. Then 20 hours later it lolcomes together and you ask yourself "oh I remember this green hair guy, wtf does he do again?"

Is there any difference between the Hero and Heroine in DQ4? Besides being able to equip the usual female only armor/slutwear that I assume is in the game.

Am I going to regret buying DQ7? My friend won't shut the fuck up about how much he loves the game.

I usually find DQ games to be the epitome of boring.

If you don't like them, then don't buy it. I doubt you'll like this one more than the others given its length.

Irrelevant, as is for a majority of the library. Get a 2DS if you're that strapped and absolutely NEED to play VII ASAP. But I recommend saving for better build quality, if possible.

Yeah but this motherfucker won't stop going on about how good the game is, like it's some miracle.

It's got me curious.

Roommate made the same mistake when I was playing IV. Trust me, if you don't like one mainline DQ, you're not gonna like any of the other mainline games.

What ones have you tried before, and how far did you get in em? If you don't like em it's not that huge of a deal.

It's really nothing special, people are happy because it finally got translated and it might mean we are getting more, but it just another DQ game.

a few hours

DQ games take a while to get going. 7 especially. Even with the 3DS version trimming down most of the longass intro it still takes like an hour before you see your first Slime.

If you ever give 8 another shot and don't like it by the time Angelo joins you, it might just not be your thing. 5's also a great game if you wanna give the series another shot.

I say let him enjoy the game. That's how I feel about DQ games as well. I just know not to push my interests on others. Your friend doesn't. Just tell him you don't care about Dragon Quest and would like to talk about something else. If he still won't shut up after you blatantly told him, then he's an idiot.

Though do realize that there is a chance you might like Dragon Quest, but just haven't played one you like. I have three separate friends who could never get into Dragon Quest, but all obsessed over Chrono Trigger. So I convinced them to try Dragon Quest V as it had a stronger story focus on Chrono Trigger like 'feel'. And two of them loved it. But they still can't get into the other DQ games.

Honestly is was more the story than anything. I didn't really feel like I was doing anything or exploring anything cool.

I don't give him shit for liking it. It's more that seeing him so pumped about the game has me wondering what the fuck he's so excited about. It's not just it getting translated. Back when we worked together he started telling me how good the PS1 game was.

one is a sexy fucking slut and the other is a girl

DQ8's story starts picking up right around when Angelo joins you, which is why I mentioned it. The world majorly opens up for exploration not long after that too.

Are there any other RPG series you like or are RPGs normally not your thing in general? Just curious.

You might be having a negative view simply because your friend overhypes it. I have yet to play a game that ever matched my friends obsession with it. And my friends are never able to get as obsessed with Dragon Quest as I do. Yet when we independently play a game without telling each other and like it, we tend to both get hyped and enjoy it.

I like the recent Persona games and some of the SMT games. Mostly because they have a fast battle system and because the music is catch. The modern theme is something I enjoy as well.

J/RPGs as a whole though? I don't have a ton of experience with them. Mostly just a handful.

I think one of the main things that bugged me about DQ8 was it just felt slow in the battle system I guess?

Probably true.

I've played Persona 3 FES and liked it well enough but I find DQ's combat to be way more interesting. Persona relied on the "hit the monster's weakness" thing super hard, but in the case of monsters without weaknesses it boiled down to spamming buffs/debuffs and brute forcing it. After the secret dungeon I just got bored and blasted through the last 20 or so floors with that busted Armageddon + Victory Cry combo to insta-win every fight.

In DQ you generally have more interesting and varied abilities available to you than a bunch of different physical and magical damage types in single target and AoE flavors. You can still brute force things of course but that's rarely the only way to beat a boss, status ailments in particular are way more effective in DQ than they were in Persona. Only time I remember Marin Karin being useful was against the one boss in Tartarus that was actually weak to it.

Eh, different strokes I suppose.

IV was pretty damn good. I played the PSX version last year, but I just played the main series in release order.

So we're getting joker right?

Does anyone else have framerate problems? In a battle and switching from one set of mob to another and fps drops to single digits. Wondering if it's the .cia being shit or just the way the game is.

I've noticed a bit of slowdown against a lot of monsters or when panning the camera on my old 3DS, but nothing that bad.

Right after Dragon Quest X

No. Disclaimer, running on HANS N3DS with a higher clock speed.

How is DQ Heroes? I want to play it really badly but my old ass PC can't run it.

It's kind of an updated version of Mystic Heroes more than it is a musou
Once the game stops spamming the "Defend the Yggdrasil Root!" stages it gets more interesting but those missions take up like the entire first half of the game

>DQ characters
>Musou
I had a fun summer.
Musou isn't for everyone though.

The only complain I could think of right now is that the story was pretty dull.

So...2080?

Oh and another problem I had was a constant crashing after defeating the Troll for one mission.

Something was wrong with that cutscene, it was the only time I crashed.

>2080
>computers now directly beam concepts into our brains
>knowing a different language just means installing the appropriate language pack into your cortex
>hey, can I play Dragon Quest X now?
>NO RIGHT PIGGU IN OUL GAEM!

Okay so this may seem like a stupid question, but when do you start getting character options besides gear in DQ7? Playing it for my first time, just finished the first island from the Green tablet. Doing some grinding and the mindlessness of how there aren't a lot of options yet is kinda getting on me.

After you fill up that 3 slot and then get the 4th character, you could switch between them.

I think it's around half way through the game.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's supposed to be Mara and Nara you fucking retards.

playing dragon quest v right now. Why is it so hard to get a great dragon. I got a killing machine without even trying.

>Mara

Did someone called me?

They are supposed to be very hard to recruit. You got lucky with Killing Machine

I spent like few fucking hours just to get a KM

I cruised through most of the game with a Slime Knight and two Golems until I got a full party of actual characters. Replaced my Slime Knight with a Archdemon when he finally started falling behind.

Now that I think about it I kinda had lousy luck recruiting monsters in general.

>DQVII doesn't have dynamic battle system like DQIX
Dropped

I've been at it for about two and some hours but I don't mind too much as the grind has gotten me some good leveling. Anyway should I use the killing machine? It doesn't seem all that great with stat gains atm

>2016
>DQ still doesn't have a spot in the inventory dedicated to Key Items
do people really enjoy inventory clutter/management?

in b4 defense drones citing muh nostalgia

I have no clue how good they are in DQV.

In Joker 1 though, my Killing Machine and Demon At Arms were fucking MVPs for a while.

"Sort Bag By Type"

Are you dumb or something

which literally does not address the issue of useless item clutter...

That's what I think of every time I hear Mara now.

I know you're kidding, but I think it's the oddest thing that Minea and Manya was changed to Meena and Maya. I actually asked Plus Alpha about that and was told that they just used those because they're actual Indian names.

So I'm probably retarded, but I forgot what Style does.

world ranking federation

Characters with high style can cause enemies to miss their turn simply because they're too busy admiring the character's good looks.

That is beautiful. Haven't played a DQ game in some time except replaying I&II a few months ago. So I really don't remember much.

Win a best dress competition

That's been debunked. Monsters being memorized is from your level in the Luminary class.

Oh. My bad, then.

Are you? The battle in DQVII is static, with characters go back to their initial position after attacking. Meanwhile in DQIX, the characters stay in their new position after they go forward attacking monsters, add to that the camera rotation, making the battle looks more fluid, instead of characters and monsters stay in static formation like in DQVII.

It's a common misconception, I even thought it was true not too long ago.

>playing VII for the first time, 8 hours in
>spoiled that kiefer leaves
>starting to really like him
Damn, I also don't want to invest shit in him if he leaves but don't want him to be under powered.

Have to say I'm surprised how kind Maribel is. I was expecting a total bitch but she's more sassy then anything. It seems more like she's a bit full of herself but still genuinely cares about others.

DQVII is not DQIX.

Well, duh?

And there's your answer.

SPOILERS YOU MOTHERFUCKER REEEEEEEEE

the game is like 15 years old, dude

just like your mother

Are you challenged in the head? DQVII is a remake, and remake means an improved version. They even changed random encounter to IX's overworld monster spawns, and yet they leave the battle system as the old way instead of the new, better one.

This is the game that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends.

Finally nabbed the beast. Now off to get that king cureslime I missed in zenith tower.

I heard they cut so much out of the 3DS version that it actually DOES end!

I heard you like pastas.

Goddamn VII is so fucking charming. Thanks for convincing me to pick this up Cred Forums.

dude you're a fucking dick

I mean, I already knew so I don't give a fuck, but you're a massive cunt.

>status effects actually work and are useful on bosses

Holy fucking shit, I can't remember the last RPG that has this.

And they're useful for crowd control too.

Fuck yeah. Got it in just under an hour. Game officially broken. Nimzo and estark going down

Why did they remove that bug that ruined the game (Maribel and key item)

Best girls.

In 7 and other dragon quest games, when you see the boss at the end of the dungeon, do you attack, or evac and go back to town to save?

>not replaying FF5 every year
status effects affect even bonus bosses there

Why is Ruff's exp curve so steep?

i just attack fuck it
i don't want to do random battles or run or fight or whatever again because by the time i get back i'll just be weak again fuck it

depends how much gold i have on me. if losing 50% of the money would be shit, i go put it in a bank and then barely give a shit from then on

the video seemed honestly quite boring and repetitive.
Dragon quest should drop the "sandbox" trend and go back to interesting ways to tell a story.

Attack if I still have the resources necessary.

ATTACK
it's more thrilling when you have lots of gold to lose

except when you're low on MP of course.

>Dragon quest should drop the "sandbox" trend and go back to interesting ways to tell a story.
true that, DQ9 was all custom characters, at a certain point I just didn't care anymore about the story and the game.

>Maribel

Says you. I am wholly invested with the journey to save my flock from the monsters.

Bought a New 3DS XL with Dragon Quest VII yesterday. 3 hours in right now and all I can say is this game is comfy as fuck.

My first Dragon Quest game besides Heroes, so it's a little archaic in terms of menus and such, but I feel like it has potential to become a really deep RPG down the line. Am I wrong?

Anyone tried the German translation yet? I remember the German version of 9 had accents so bad I could hardly understand anything.

I save state and then attack.

>Maribel's full name is Maribel Mayde

Not sure if this is canon or just something the localization made up.

>save state
Pleb

How is the translation anyway? Does it have those horrible dialects from IV? Or is it as comfy as VIII?

It has dialects from VI.

So not as nearly as bad. Or, alternatively, 8's voiced dialects turned to words.

I thought Germans hated things like dialects and stuff like that in games?

Oh, sounds good are there any added memes in the translation so far?

The problems with accents is that it slows down reading. Sentences written in regular language, you can read very quickly because you have seen those words many times before. When it's written in accent you have to slow down and actually think about how these words sound and then try to parse out the meaning. Accents don't work in written language.

How's everyone enjoying Maribel's game?

>had a busy day, no time to really sit down and play
>finally started a bit ago, just about done with the first island

You could always make a JP PSN account on the PS4 and download the JP demo, it's self explanatory.

>10 hours in
>still haven't unlocked classes

T-they are a thing in VII right? I'm not getting memed, right?

there were always games like that. Classic JRPGs Lufia 2 and Secret of Mana had batshit insane German translations.

What do i do on the island where everybody has turned to stone in DQVII?

>10 hours

You got like another 20-30 hours to go, user. Classes were about the 1/4th mark of the original.

Find the dude camping out in the back.

Yeah

About 30 hours in

They are even harder to read if English isn't your native language, which was my problem with IV

I had the same problem reading Hellsing in English were Anderson has a heavy Brooklyn dialect.

I feel very sad. I bought the game yesterday, it's great, I want to discuss it on Cred Forums but at the same time I am afraid of obvious spoilers.
The DQ general on /vg/ is deader that the series in the west.

>Autonymous

Please tell me this is not a Cred Forums joke.

;_;

I'm enjoying it a lot.

Lies. At 10 hours you're already pretty close at saving the loli pope.

Maribel is an unlikable cunt.

But it only tells me that he has his eyes shut and we should let him sleep

>100 hour game

>loli pope

No idea what you're on about user, I just saved an island from being turned into animals and was rewarded by their progeny turning into disgusting furfags

Well gg you fucking killed him. Time to move on.

But for real go to the inn and take a nap, afterward look around the town for strange lights.

"Autonomous" because he likes robits

From my experience, it's for the best there isn't a 24/7 /vg/ thread. Enjoy the periodic Cred Forums threads whie you play yourself.

If you know what you're doing you can get there in maybe 20 hours. Not sure how much shorter the adventure is with the changes to the 3DS version, but you've gained at least 1 hour not having the whole starting dungeon before you hit the first island.

K, I still like her.

>10 hours
>still on animal island

What took you so long? I'm still on 8 and I'm already on the machine island.

more like 150

>the little girl who lost her baby brother kicking Ellie
>all the while the cheerful town music is playing

This scene would get a dramatic music if it were an anime.

How do you fast forward in battle again? I heard people can do that in the new remake.

Why is she so fucking smug?