What the fuck happened to the FPS genre?

What the fuck happened to the FPS genre?
It used to much more diverse and skill-based, rewarding good aim and tactical play, now they just give you automatic aim and buttons that wipe the enemy team. Why do all the good shooters die while the casual no-skill bare-bones garbage gravitate thousands of people to play, hell even CoD and Battlefield have a more relevant e-sports scene then games like UT or Quake.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KRWEIuRhaJ0
store.steampowered.com/app/324810
teamfortress.tv/35222/no-hats-mod
kickstarter.com/projects/84288219/diabotical-by-the-gd-studio
livesow.net/#
youtube.com/watch?v=YBd5z0E8no4
forgehub.com/threads/big-team-battle-community-refresh.154026/#post-1661967
youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Haven't heard this hot take on the fps genre before

FPS is dead OP, corporate developers are just raping the corpse

Because skill based games make people feel bad and most men nowadays appreciate competition as much as the average woman does. They just want mindless dumb games they can play while socializing not something that takes any kind of effort or practice.

They are making combacks.

UT4 is going to be a thing soon. I know Cred Forums doesn't particularly like Halo, but halo 5's MP is a return to the more competitive focused MP of the first two games, etc

ut4 is pretty skill-based

>Because skill based games make people feel bad and most men nowadays appreciate competition as much as the average woman does.
This, the last thing I ever want is someone to claim a victory because of my failures. It's not enough that I should win, others should fail. Fuck competition.

Arena shooters are dead.

The metagame is just a matter of memorizing the maps and timing the power ups.

Aim and reflex come down to mostly practice.

Console babbies can't into fast play or precision shootans, so publishers won't bother.

It doesn't help that CliffyB shit the bed so hard in the handling of the disaster that was UT III. All the pain and suffering could have been avoided if Digital Extremes was allowed to do its job.

Very original stance on the subject, really makes me think. Also anyone who complains about FPS's being shit, but doesn't play Quake Live, or atleast stuff like UT4, Defrag, and Reflex, should be shot.

>The metagame is just a matter of memorizing the maps and timing the power ups.
Retard. That's the prerequisite to being able to even start trying to play with the metagame.

But i do play those games, UT4 is dead, Quake Live is okay, but both still have small playerbases

>why don't people play any of my nostalgia games anymore

I get that you get all fuzzy when you play these old games where physics are arcadey, you pick up health packs, it takes 50 bullets from MiniGun to take someone down. But you gotta remember, that once you take your nostalgia goggles off, these games are actually pretty shit. They simply have dated and redundant mechanics from the previous millenium.

And, no, I am not a youngster.

I was there, when those same shitty arcade shooters were the shit.
I was there, when the RTS games were pumped out like modern realistic military shooters are pumped out today.
I was there, when Turn Based Strategy games with tactical battles were in the hype.
I was there, when Hack'Slash Action Adventure games with only a single player campaign and absolutely no open world were the hot topic.
I was there, when the Bronze Age city builders were the games that everybody was jerking off to.

How is your Quake/Doom clone so special, faggot?

Please tell me this post is bait

Sure, bro. Don't you have to finish your homework before going back to sekrit Kernwaffe.de?

>OP's pic

How does the Shock Rifle feel in UT4? I love how mighty it feels in UT99 and the vacuum effect shock combos had on gibs in UT3 was kinda cool

Post one good modern FPS then you fucking faggot

he kind of has a point. the market got REALLY oversaturated with shooters back in the day, with stuff like wolf3D, duke, doom, blood, quake... by the time stuff like perfect dark and turok came out i was pretty tired of FPS games. yeah it's a stale and played out genre, but it has been since before halo came out.

>Thinks that I am defending modern FPS games.
No, pal, I am saying that your secret club arcade FPS games were the CoD and Battlefield of their time.

But I don't expect you to understand.
You probably are still so young that you tell people to go back toreddit

youtube.com/watch?v=KRWEIuRhaJ0

you said they were outdated, which implies newer games did it better and made the old ones obsolete. you are trolling though so ill try not to take you serious

Many things killed it

There's progression. Rather than getting better at a game because you play it, with your skill increasing and your experience growing, now you just unlock new stuff, irrevocably breaking the balance. So there's stat tracking and tons of numbers that come with it. People become autistic about watching those numbers grow, and doing this, they become individualistic, and stop playing as a team. As a result there's no team play anymore. Nothing encourages it really, games are slowly giving up on objective gametypes because no one plays them, for individual rewards are too great.

Finally, there's dopamine, that little thing your body releases when you feel like you've achieved something. Video games have learned to use and abuse it, from Call of Duty to Candy Crush. Give the player stars, medals, points, and dollars repeatedly, and you'll overload his biological reward mechanism, until he barely feels anything at each reward but becomes utterly and completely addicted, and experiences withdrawal when he stops playing for too long. Explains the shorter attention spans, the changing moods, sometimes hyper activity of both CoD kids and soccer mom stuck playing Angry Birds, the general angriness and aggressiveness. This will have disastrous consequences down the line. It made video games as addictive as slot machines. Add adrenaline to that, which can too easily be released by highly immersive and thrilling games, and you have a recipe for disaster. Even a single adrenaline release a month for a kid is enough to fuck up his mental and physical development.
People don't even play because they have fun, simply because they need to. Older gamers, raised on more difficult games with actual challenge and reasonable use (or often complete lack) of reward mechanisms, and no cheap thrills revolving just on explosions and loud sounds, are thus completely unimpressed by modern video games, they can't be hooked, and they just don't get it.

When was the last time a company made a good arena shooter? I'm laughing so hard at people who talk about UT4, Epic dropped the ball so hard on it that 99.9% of the competitive players from previous games don't even want to touch it.

A playerbase is only as good as the game itself plus how much marketing is put into it. There's no mystery - just look at Blizzard with OW. Quake, and Unreal haven't put out a decent game in quite some time, and marketing behind them has been pitiable.

Your post is easily shittier than the games themselves

Halo 5 is good

>Aim and reflex come down to mostly practice.
literally all modern fps games right here.
i honestly dont understand how people can have fun with cod/battlefield and halo 5. they're all just boring twitch shooters where its based on who sees who first

Quake Champions will be popular whether you like it or not, this is a fact, and Unreal 4 will have a decent fanbase when its actually released, why the fuck would they advertise their alpha software? Every single Unreal game, even UT3 was successful financially and there is no reason to think UT4 will be anything less than a commercial success

halo 5 is actually a twitch shooter with arena maps (not to mention they're way too big and play too slow)...cs go is better. h5 took out every bit of skill from 1-3

>Finally, there's dopamine, that little thing your body releases when you feel like you've achieved something.

Don't even act like this is exclusive to newer shooters. That shit has been around since the 90s. The feeling of getting a sick airshot, or maybe the rush you feel when you completely stomp the competition in a deathmatch, the focus that it requires and the payoff it gives, this has been around for such a long time. But with changing times comes new ways of causing this addiction, and so you mistake it with these games abusing these mechanics in an attempt to be good when in reality they are just trying to emulate the thrill that arena shooters produced back in the day.

The medium is stagnating because these older games peaked nearly 20 years ago, and so newer ways to reward the player, to make them want to play, want to stick with it, had to be invented. Progression is just another shtick used in this vein, and pretty soon even that may be overridden, not just in FPS but in games in general, ASSFAGGOTS is a good example of this, people playing DOTA constantly not because they're unlocking anything, but because it feels good to stomp, to win, and it shows when people complain about their helpless addiction to these kinds of games, games that take a lot of work for a nice payoff. But if you fail, if you lose, the pay off is also just as bad, almost the polar opposite of the payoff you feel when you win.

new UT is garbage in terms of movement and response. Map/model size ratios are broken, dodging ( distance and dodge "chainining" ) is broken. The game boils down to mindless dodge spam unlike ut99 and even ut2004. It also has unacceptable amount of input lag.

Did you know people are allowed to enjoy fps that aren't UT or Quake?

>>>/reddit/

So we're determining the quality of games by financial success now? I don't see how UT4 will be making any money, given that it's already turned away its core demographic, and doesn't really have any methods to gather revenue. It's pretty much just a fancy tech demo, not a serious game at all.

Quake Champions seems interesting, but I wouldn't be so bold to say that it's going to be a hit.

Are you stupid, son? The majority of paying customers are casual players. Games that cater to the larger audience are more successful and thrive. Wow! Did you really need that spelled out for you?

so you´d leave the Cred Forums for retards and lead everyone who´s intellectual out?

>bullshit meme answer
Because those games are shit

>actual answer
Because progression ladders and ranks create grind which gives players incentives to keep playing which give devs more opportunities to milk players for money

COME PLAY TOXIKK

FREE QUAKE/UNREAL REMAKE

store.steampowered.com/app/324810

>now they just give you automatic aim and buttons that wipe the enemy team

Blame the consoles.

Which, I have no actual problem with console games, I have a problem when they make an FPS game for a console first and then decide to port it out. Consoles were never good for FPS.

People don't play games for the sake of playing them anymore.

Because arena FPS have been done to death just as much as modern casual FPS games have. Ironically Halo used to be one of the most unique FPS games until they started changing it up.

I say ironic because you clowns somehow think Halo killed the genre since other FPS games supposedly have been "copying" Halo.

I never understood why people shit on halo, I understand it's a console shooter but it had arena shooter conventions with map control being a huge deal, and the slow movement speed worked to the games advantage when playing ctf on bigger maps like blood gulch or valhalla.

Fuck off with your gay game.
This marketing ploy saying that arena shooters "disappeared" in a great exodus is bullshit, and these terrible FPS games with retarded names trying to cash in aren't any good.
Before it went F2P Toxikk had less players than Evolve and Battleborn.

When did this meme start that games like CoD and BF aren't skill based? Just because you aren't going fifty kph and you have to actually control your engagements, doesn't mean you don't need skill to do well.

You cant have FPS with good movement while still trying to make it a console game

CS:GO is the third most popular competitive video game in the world, only behind the 2 ASSFAGGOTS that dominate the e-sports scene. It might not be an arena twitch shooter, but it's still a skill based tactical FPS and it's wildly popular and successful.

Even if they did make a comeback, that comeback would die pretty fast due to the community.

>Make game slightly different from Quake III
"WAAAAAH IT'S NOT QUAKE"
>Make game exactly the same as Quake III
"Why would I play this when I can just go play Quake" (Proceeds to then NOT play Quake III)

It's the exact same problem that traditional base-building RTS games suffer from, but I don't miss those at all so fuck 'em.

You pissed off the 30 yearold quake autists who think counter strike requires no skill at all, good job.

>Why do all the good shooters die while the casual no-skill bare-bones garbage gravitate thousands of people to play

gee

I wonder

Most people are awful at FPS. Think about it. If someone's average KDR is 1.0, you'd consider that shit. You wouldn't even call that average, but technically it should be. That's why some stupidass game like Overwatch is so fucking popular. No matter how shit some player is, every couple of minutes they've got what is virtually a guaranteed kill.

That's why ~10 years ago Cred Forums hated Call of Duty. If you did well, it gave you a killstreak to keep doing well and do even better. Overwatch doesn't even require you to kill or damage people to gain what's essentially a killstreak, so of course Cred Forums loves it. The average Cred Forums user is fucking awful at video games in general.

>Cred Forums talks about competitive games
Cred Forums is hilariously shit at games

Rainbow Six: Siege is better.

UT4 isn't that bad, I don't know why you think that. How did it push away its core demographic at all? Its a faster UT99 and that is all, most of the levels are exactly the same even. Its financial model is to sell fanmaps and the like, they make money off their engine right now and have the money for advertising too easily. With enough adopters I know it will be a financial success which will be a bad thing in the longrun most likely but no other game does this system so it might not be that bad either. And I assure you Quake Champions will be a success, not only are fans of even Quake 3 and Team Fortress 2 cautiously optimistic (because pc exclusive), but Doom 4 was a success, id Software has Bethesda publishing and it will be advertised properly

But it doesn't. Fucking millenials.

>I never understood why people shit on halo

This is mostly a Cred Forums thing.

it isn't terrible though.

>How is your Quake/Doom clone so special, faggot?

Because it's not another fucking brown and bloom, hitscan only, miniscule TTK, shitfest where the only thing that matters is who sees who first.

Also your entire "i was there" paragraph is fucking stupid nonsense, none of the genres you cite were ever as popular as you imply, except something as vague as "action adventure"

toxikk went f2p on the same day it released

all those numbers are beta testers/devs

Consoles.

Consoles are generally a more casual market and sacrifices had to be made to accommodate to controller aiming.

So you're determining the quality of the games based on financial success now?

This is the wall you face when you hit perfection, and yes there's probably no such thing as a "perfect" game other than puzzlers like Tetris but for the sake of the multiplayer games that reach universal acclaim are arguably perfect.

Smash Bros Melee will never be replaced, there will still be a dedicated community years from now because no one wants to duplicate all the little intricacies that make it a very interesting games.

Worms Armaggedon and Quake 3 were so good that the community still plays them and anything that moves from them is considered a water down attempt.

Surprisingly the one community that doesn't seem to get its panties in a bunch over new games is the Fighting Game Community. Street Fighter Players agreed to move onto V even though USFIV is a far better game at this point.

>Quake
>Doom
>Not brown
Some grey added in the mix as well, I'll give you that

Did you quote the wrong post

>uplay

I'd love to disagree with you but I'm not gonna go through that shit just to try it.

> Quake
> Not Brown

Pick one, faggot

>The feeling of getting a sick airshot, or maybe the rush you feel when you completely stomp the competition in a deathmatch, the focus that it requires and the payoff it gives, this has been around for such a long time.
I'm not denying this. A bit further down, I even acknowledge it. But they didn't overdo it.

Quake 3 didn't give you medals, dollars, points, ribbons, and who knows what the fuck else for every single pointless action you perform, nor did it track those over all games you played. There lies the difference.

There's no need to reward the player, nor make him "stick with it", unless that player doesn't really like video games and is simply addicted to them. Those games are only meant to get people addicted, not let them have fun. And that's the case of all those casuals, that's what got them hooked, but they really aren't into video games. Older, more "hardcore" gamers don't need reasons to play video games, and they can still play Quake 3 like it was released yesterday.

>not hitscan

Where you even there with quake and Doom? Modern shooters usually have bullet physics. Nice bait, 8/8 would answer again

>How is your Quake/Doom clone so special, faggot?
Unreal tournament has been the biggest and most worthy competitor to quake for nearly 2 decades.

UT2004 is also debatable as the greatest arena shooter of all time alongside quake 3 arena. Asking how its special is just a stupid fucking question.

lmao

>What the fuck happened to arena shooters?
FTFY
Shooters are doing fine, it's your sub genre of shooters that's dead.

>Quake III was so good the community still plays them
Not in an easily accessible way. You have to join a community and get on IRC and setup 1v1 Duels against people who are about 1000x better than you, when if I could join a normal Deathmatch off of the server browser with the same people I'd be a lot more inclined to play.

And for that matter, perfection still can get boring.

Melee has been the same game for 10 years. With the same top players and the same top strategies, and the same usable characters. It's "big" right now because it got shown at Evo with some mainstream press coverage a few years ago and most people didn't even know Melee could be competitive.

It's partly why FGC is going to play SFV because we've already had 6 years of SFIV, and it's old, it's out. Going back to ST is more of a change.

And then there's that saying "You play what other people play."

microtransaction

I thought they died with UTIII.

>Reading comprehension
His post was defending UT4 and not quake

>implying

The TTK is lower then past halo games, yes, but it's still not as low as quake or UT in most of them

>h5 took out every bit of skill from 1-3

This is extra retarded. It has more skilljumps then ever, and they are more complex then ever. Weapons are actually balanced which means being good with a variety of them and knowing which to use is more of a needed skill.

The pistol has a ver high skill gap, and is useful at all ranges if you git gud with it, basically a balanced version of the CE magnum, vs 2/3/4/reach where your spawning weapons weren't very skill based/useful.

Teamwork and map control/familarity hasn;t been this important since halo 2

Not really. Halo is in sort of an awkward postion where it was the go to dudebro game for a while, which made it popular, and then that rebounded and people started to hate on it due to that, both here and elsehwee (after all, most gaming communite hate CoD now).

However, that never went away even when the dudebros went to CoD. So now it's sort of in a limbo zone of not being uber popular, but still having the negative sterotype of being generic from when it was.

Which is stupid since even back in the day, it wasn't really generic, either.

I still don't know why ioQuake3 uses the deprecated Quake 3 server browser. Even fucking ezQuake has a proper server browser, even fucking Doomseeker has a proper fucking server browser, but no, only way to play Quake 3 anymore is on Quake Live

>halo 5 is actually a twitch shooter
>Twitch shooter
>Console
Pick one, I know its sort of on PC now but any games thats console exclusive literally cannot be a twitch shooter.

With Halo 6 coming to PC it certainly has the possibility to be a twitch shooter.

>e-sports
idk it feels like it's way overdoing it
back then you make a game, and then make some tourneys out of the community that plays it
nowadays you see the e-sports scene and then make a game for it

stat tracking, achievements, medals, all that hoo-haas also makes people play the game for the wrong idea

>now they just give you automatic aim and buttons that wipe the enemy team
you can't have fastpaced accurate games with a high skillceiling when your customer will be sitting on a couch 10 feet from the screen clumsily fiddling with 2 analogsticks.

Where does he say that? It well applies for old arena shooters, as by the answers, but the same arguments are also used for counter strike and modern shooters as cod

just play TF2

>but... muh hats

you never really cared about the gameplay then

not really, there have been more arena shooters in the past 5 years than there ever was before, there is clearly interest its just over saturated and nothing gets advertised. whatever game manages to be advertised the most in the next year will likely become the next big thing as arena shooter fans are all just waiting for something with enough exposure to get a game going reliably

reminder to turn off cosmetics
teamfortress.tv/35222/no-hats-mod

also while i love this game it isn't very relevant to the topic

Not him, but how would you define twitch shooter?

I call CoD and BF twitch shooters, and both of those are on console

>not Hyperblast Redux

Plebiest pleb

If you play anything except UT, Quake, EQ1, FFXI, Lineage, SC:BW, WC3, Fifa99, CS 1.5.

YOU NEED TO GO BACK.

Fuck you, UT2004 was great shit. They refined and fixed the concept of 2003.

I sure do like classic UT but there is nothing wrong with 2004.

I like UT3

amen

Play siege, best fps to date

>Where you even there with quake and Doom? Modern shooters usually have bullet physics. Nice bait, 8/8 would answer again

I can think of one modern game with a competitive scene and bullet physics and it's Battlefield.

>everquest
>final fantasy
>fifa
>counterstrike
>anyone else the problem
NO CHICO YOU ARE THE MEXICAN

Have you faggots actually played quake or doom because they're full of dumbass rooms like this

Brood War as a competitive game has had a comp scene for like 15 years and the meta was constantly changing. The strats used now aren't the same strats used in 2000.

On top of that execution has always been a high priority for players since there's a limit to how many guys can be selected at once, which is partly why SC2's comp scene is shit; every match that goes past the 5 minute mark is about who's got the better deathball.

Funny you'd, think my comment would tell you immediately that I don't give a shit about SC.

BF is not a twitch shooter.

Q2 > Q3

>scrublords too casual for csgo

LMAO

>Quake 3 didn't give you medals, dollars, points, ribbons, and who knows what the fuck else for every single pointless action you perform

Wrong. So wrong in fact, I wonder if you're actually speaking from experience. The medals and the announcer are iconic, and that sickassed gibbage was specifically designed to keep you crawling back for more.

This revisionist history needs to stop. New games are the same thing in a different package. The only difference is that the skill ceiling is a lower.

However, it's not as low as Cred Forums would like to pretend. There are still games that take skill beyond what you or I will ever achieve.

For instance, I played quake, and I played it well for years. I was still nowhere near tournament level. Neither were most people. If you actually played the game in its hayday, you wouldn't see people doing crazy fucking rocket jumps or insane rail shots on your random server.

The increase in baseline skill occurred when the game became less popular. Not as a result of any romantic notion you have about our generation.

As a for instance: you or I could play Overwatch, and play it well. We'd probably be a lot closer to tournament level, but still not there. Since the skill ceiling is still above our head, it really doesn't matter that it came down.

Get it?

Now if you're talking about movement mechanics, that's a whole different ballgame. FPS today are incredibly restrictive in terms of movement, so much so that I can barely stand them.

No, nothing in your comment implies that.

The obvious theme of your post was competitive stagnation and forced obsolescence of previous titles. No need to be a cunt about it.

>Wrong. So wrong in fact, I wonder if you're actually speaking from experience. The medals and the announcer are iconic, and that sickassed gibbage was specifically designed to keep you crawling back for more.

You're really fucking stupid if you're gonna compare what happens in quake when you double tap a guy with the railgun to the XP bonuses and level ups and unlocks and shit that's constantly popping up on screen during typical, average play in a call of duty match.

Where are all these modern arena shooters

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Can you really compare an announcer that rewards meaningful actions to medals, dollars, points and ribbons given for things as random as a teammate spawning on you, or missing your target aka "suppressive fire"? Battlefield games literally have ALL OF THOSE, and they keep slapping the screen non-stop.

Also can you show me my Quake 3 stats page from back then in 2002? No you can't, there's no such thing.

You need some perspective user.

Did anything even come out of that update?

DON'T CALL ME A SANDRAKER

I think you don't get it. It's not about skill, "tournament", or whatever. It's about mechanics designed to have the player addicted.

They're just mere numbers and rewards appearing regularly that are wrongly perceived as an important successful action by the brain, which triggers a release of dopamine.

There is sadly too little information of that, only a handful porrly led studies, but dopamine dependence, and to a less extent, adrenaline, can explain many things about games and gamers these days.

They made base building a minor portion of the game in favour of actual combat.

Weapons mastery is now removed. Every weapon comes at master level.

Classes are now Heavy, Medium and Light. You can make your own loadouts, but you can't turn invisible and use sniper rifles at the same time (the only exception I know).

Fuck me, I'm loving it. Its purity as an fps keeps me coming back for more. You log in and shoot at sand rakers, that's all I want out of a shooter.

Alright. How many people are still playing it? Did they tweak around with the speed? Do fast memers still have a point or are they missing out?

Ratz Instagib, Shootmania Storm, Xonotic, Overload, Reflex, Unreal 4, Toxikk, Sol Contingency, Tribes Ascend, Rise of the Triad, Strike Vector, Teeworld, Doom 4, etc, to me this is pretty exhaustive I can't think of more but I am sure there are even fucking more

None of you fuckers wanted to play Duke Nukem 3D

Halo happened.
And then cod took some mechanics from it, ruining itself forever, and becoming the messiah of shitty fps.

i do, right now, i want to stay up, how would you play this today? i was under the influence it couldnt be played online anymore for whatever reason

half of those games are too slow to be arena shooters or they're f2p p2w garbage

COD took nothing from Halo, aside from the idea that a console FPS could work.

Halo was good, and was not only the sole arena shooter on console, it's now one of the last vestige of the genre.

They removed Megaton Editon from Steam, but if you had bought the game it was yours to keep, you can still play online I saw some dude named "user" on there but he left immediately before I could've joined his server

UT 99 veteran here.

As far as modern FPS's go
i like:

UT4 alpha
Toxikk
Battlefront
Overwatch

yes, some of these games have things that detract from the pure aim based play, but good aim + tactical insight will always prevail.
If you keep sucking the problem is you :)

What half? Also thats a pretty arbitrary definition for arena shooter, you pickup weapons and items around the map and combat in an arena, i would even argue Halo Online is an arena shooter. Also add Diabotical

Oi oldman which game do you think is better, doom or duke3D?

I own that, are you in the US? I know I said I wouldn't mind playing right now, but I didn't realize how tired I was. Would you like to organize for tomorrow? I could make a thread, maybe on /vr/ since it is slower, I would love to play this online again. What gametype did you have in mind, and are mods supported online?

>UT4 is going to be a thing soon.
like when? are they going to throw some cash at some tournaments? i pop in every couple of months to see how it's going but it's mostly dead and there's no young blood in there that will make it grow. it's just guys in their late 20s and mid 30s

>dirty bomb is ded

>What the fuck happened to the FPS genre?

Consoles. Giving console controllers twin analogue sticks was a mistake.

>they're all just boring twitch shooters where its based on who sees who first

That's why people like them, because the skill floor is so low that they can easily hop into a random deathmatch after a week of playing and end up playing rather well. CoD is literally built around pub stomping, it's designed so one player will get multiple killstreaks and he'll snowball them into an overwhelming victory over his enemies. The skill needed for this to happen is rather low in newer CoDs, which attracts more and more people. Plus the games are fast and control surprisingly well on console.

Cred Forums has always been torn on Halo. Some elitsts hate it because it has a lower skill ceiling than most PC shooters but a lot of others really dig it. Halo isn't that bad though, Bungie has made efforts to add mod-like support for their console based game and despite having aim assist Halo still has a lot of weapons that have a high reliance on hitting headshots.

Twitch shooter is a meaningless term really. It used to refer to arena shooters like Quake and UT but now it means any fairly fast paced shooting game.

this was unfortunate too. really enjoyed that game, mastering the movement and just flowing around the map was excellent. i was thinking about coming back then i heard they made it so a vas head shot doesn't kill and said fuck it. the casuals won

Oh shit I'm down, I was worried that you'd actually want to play right now since its 3:05 a.m. and my dumbass should be going to sleep already

They can kill in one hit, but not insta-gib unless they have very low health.

It kills, just doesn't gib. They killed jumping shots though.

>used to much more diverse and skill-based

Splain, otherwise you sound like a broken récord of a partir parroting shit up.

not him but the answer should be obvious. doom is more fun, while duke is objectively the better game

It's actually the emergence of shit like Half Life that brought the genre to its current state, it's the reason for this "muh realism army man aim down sights and sprint" style of FPS game

The encouragement and prevalence of camping is another reason why the genre's the way it is, which goes hand in hand with how deathmatch is being phased out for this pussy "team" shit, I mean, just look at the new Doom, the new fucking DOOM game, didn't ship with any free for all modes, I think that says it all

i know it doesn't gib, that's what i'm saying. it doesn't actual kill anymore which is shit. a good vas was vital for making sure medics couldn't just chain res people. i'm sure it's horrible now

Toxikk is basically free now. Go ahead and try it on steam. It's awesome.

>you will never again zip across the map at barely controllable speeds, BEFORE POWERUPS OR CUSTOM SETTINGS
>you will never again fall into acid pools or jump at the wrong time and fly off the god damn map into the void
>you will never again entertain yourself by dodging every single enemy projectile just to fuck with them for a bit
>you will never again fly all over the damn place raining terrifying tasty rocket death down everyones throats like a twister hit a propane tank factory
>you will never again be able to gib your enemies and see their delicious meaty bits flying all over the place
>YOU WILL NEVER EVER GIB YOUR ENEMIES AGAIN
>tfw

>still playing Quake Live after the awful steam release that added loadouts

And the other games you listed are all dead.

Honestly I'll play any game-type I've been wanting to play with more than just two other players, I'm not sure about playing with mods online I'll check tomorrow

Witzh how many people bitch about the death of arena shooters you'd think they'd all go any play the new UT, but that game is also dead
How come

I play on EU

The speed is the same. I don't remember them saying anything about changing it in the patch notes. They did, however, make the blast damage of the spinfusor smaller.

It's not much, but 3 full servers peak hours.

People complain about the one hitscan weapon (sparrow), so it's fun to kill scrubs with it and watch them whine.

Though, they did say they were removing hitscan, so I'm not sure whether it is one or not.

genre play has ruined it

now 3rd person cover shooters are still as sweet as ever, naughty dog and gears devs can still churn out interesting dynamics

we need better fast and slow fps. arma is probably the only good slow and it's laggy

I will make a thread on Cred Forums tomorrow, MOST LIKELY sometime in the afternoon, possibly 6 - 12 PM, 4 - 10 PM where you live, if it dies I will just make another in /vr/ or post in a thread thats up if there is one already but if there is a server browser you could probably find it anyways

No wonder, if you have games that are more popular and do more or less the same thing.

Bitching on the Internet is more entertaining it seems.

>modern shooters are so ez
>that's why I'm not making money at tournaments right now

The thing is they still make those kind of shooters to foolishly try to appeal to you giganofaggots but they're all dead in the water because if it's not an EXACT clone of doom/quake (and I mean fucking exact, I saw someone bitching about vertical mouselook once) then it's shit.

Because no one wants to play some permabeta free sloppy bullshit

People want a proper retail UT game, Epic is just being lazy and pathetic to be honest

FPS will never be good, they are the easiest target for scriptkiddies.

t.GlobalElite with High-Mind since 2 years

But the gameplay is good, why does it matter that it's beta, it's free after all

>harambe

Underage B& detected, fuck off kiddo.

Quake Live loadouts are stupid but at least optional, it isn't very intrusive since no servers at all use them

>unironically using a tripcode

>>>/reddit/ is that way.

Oh hell yeah I can't wait

>remember someone shitting on CSGO, saying the game was too easy
>I ask his rank
>he says MG2
>this was before the whole rank readjustment
>he'd more than likely be a Nova 3 now

CSGO has an asston of problems with it but Cred Forums often makes up issues to take with it.

Difference being that modern shooters will have ribbons and exp numbers flash up for doing nothing. It's all a mental trick, constant positive reinforcement will often lead players into feeling less bad when they play bad. Not only have they lowered the skill ceiling but they also made ways to make you feel less bad when you can't reach said skill ceiling.

Honestly, console player base and the need for developers to hit as many sales as possible is a very large reason as to why FPS games now are so dumbed down. Granted dumbing down a game will lead to more players regardless of the platform. That's one of the reasons Overwatch has multiple roles, so people who are not good at shooting games can play a support or a tank and still end up being useful.

James will save FPS, just you wait

they want players, not to sit in servers waiting for people to join, that is the whole problem and simply opening the game isn't going to fix that. i play quake live all the time, and have recently gotten into team fortress 2 which isn't all that bad

it might matter to some people because first of all, you need another shitty company client to tack on top of the other 7 you have. the game updates every other day with something completely unnoticable shit but it will make you download the whole game again just to play again. and obviously playerbase with every game being a botmatch with one other player

>Quake becomes a complex game on accident
>now all arena shooter fags can't adjust to new mechanics

I wish they would try to make a game with newer/interesting guns. Diabotic looks almost exactly like Quake and that makes it boring to me.

It's a fucking shame that not a single one of the indie arena shooters released has had any noteworthy success. They all quickly end up with communities smaller than the Quake Live community.

and i want to elaborate. obviously if everyone opened the game at once that would fix the problem, but there needs to be some sort of organization, an instant surge of popularity, ADVERTISEMENT. no arena shooters get advertisement anymore because devs cant afford it, whatever game can manage to have advertisements first in this environment will very likely be the next big thing, and i am not sure if i have said that already

Well, maybe if you want to resurrect arena shooters, you should hire a professional team with goals, schedules and proper game instead of a bunch of indie trash faggots who can't put few maps together for 3 years?

That is not what UT deserves, you either invest into proper game or let it fucking die.

With WHAT, precisely? He's been talking about this for years. Also,
>Xonotic
>Warsow
>Toxikk
>Unreal Tournament 4
No one's playing them. They're great, great games, two of them are FREE, one has a free demo, and NO ONE IS PLAYING THEM. The community for this genre is, sadly, scattered and minimal. His game will get the same fate, and I'm sad to see it go that way.

>Arena FPS usually have pretty good music
>The best way to play them involves turning the music off

Why even bother making a game for you guys? you are not going to buy it anyway because of reason, at best you'll pirate it and play it years later after you bought it for cheap.

maybe when its released?

no one will care to pirate a competitive multiplayer game

what would they do? play with bots?

Pirate it to try, decide it's shit, not buy it.

>not feeling pumped up by the music

this almost pisses me off but i don't see a way around it. when i play quake live i just keep the music at a tiny tick so i can still hear it and footsteps

but again, how can you 'try' these types of games?

they are multiplayer, of course its going to be shit if you play alone

who the fuck are "you guys"? im a good goy and have bought a fuckload of dead arena fps games fullprice

and even if this was the case, why should people buy your game if they know they wont enjoy it? you know most games back then had demos too and that actually SOLD games when they were fun

Most of the skill in Quake comes from route memorisation of maps and very little about ability. Watch the pro games; they may as well be playing an RTS game, with item management playing the deciding factor between winner and loser.

This. Watched a top level quake game recently and it was two dudes running around the map for 16 minutes picking up armor and big healths and occasionally shooting rockets and grenades down a hallway. There were three kills total. Was nothing like what most of Cred Forums says it was like.

They will see a financial loss if they do this. That's why there hasn't been a big arena fps released in forever. Plus developers are greedy and they want to maximize profits.

Indie multiplayer games are always starved for players. Shame arena shooters can't seem to even reach Insurgency numbers, shit's silly.

it appears that way but there is a lot more variables, someone who hits even 5 percent more with their weapons will very likely be able to kill you even with a full stack, and people will ambush, contest, you know where items will be but you don't always have a good idea where the enemy will be or what their strategy will be and that is what makes it interesting. i imagine its the same with rts and fighting games

"top level" esports quake is shit and doesn't do it justice at all. they are playing for money and don't want to risk fucking dying so just hide until the end and bait the fuck out of enemies, its shameless

I have no interest in arena style shooters unless they are singleplayer focused.

The main reason this genre has fallen out of favour is because they keep trying to remake Quake 3 when dozens of free remakes already exist and nobody wants to play them either.

Strafe looks neat.

kickstarter.com/projects/84288219/diabotical-by-the-gd-studio

You're not wrong, but

>proper movement taking no skill
>proper aiming taking no skill

Just because they knew the weapon and armor spawn timers by heart doesn't mean the game is low skill. I wish advanced movement systems were still a thing in FPS games.

That's more a flaw of them game/rule set then. Fighting games have the same issues yet both players still typically go for knockouts instead of playing keep away unless the game is Brawl

I don't think anyone can deny what those guys were doing didn't take skill, but maybe people don't want to play arena shooters because the most optimal way to play them essentially turns the game into a fancy walking simulator instead of a shooter.

Casual happened

it is a flaw in the game, and here is the flaw ill spell it out for you, R A I L G U N. every map was made in mind with the fucking railgun in mind. every map 5 times bigger than your typical quake 1 map which makes it easy to hide and hard to chase. and then makes the entire game revolve around rail meta of popping pixels off enemies which is just annoying. a fucking shame we will never get a sequel without it, became too iconic.

>I wish advanced movement systems were still a thing in FPS games

CoD, the biggest mainstream FPS franchise, tried this in AW and it got shit on by faggots who can't adapt to new things and got assraped from day 1, the average FPS player of 2016 is just a casual faggot wanting easy camping kills

Warsow: In europe, there are CTF or bomb pickups almost every day. Clan Arena or insta Clan Arena you can hop into a server at any time of the day. I get the opportunity to play duel with people of equal skill about once a day or every two days. Honestly, that's alive enough for me.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty server browser tools for q3. Doomseeker is also a separate server tool from the actual engine (also IDE is better for management unless you are a linuxfag)

>Miniscule TTK

I seem to fail to see the part where Battlefield 4 has miniscule TTk.

Just another Arena Shooter faggot who probably hasn't even touched a single Battlefield game in his life. Kek

>hasn't even touched a single Battlefield game in his life

That's something to be proud of though, Battlefield is a steaming pile of horseshit

If you're playing against the best, vq3 (which is what QL is more or less) becomes a not very fast game. Mentally you're still stressed, but it doesn't look very fast.

People would still hide until a favorable encounter comes up the exact same way, maybe even more, cause there would be no reliable way to get some long-range unreturned damage that serves as an opening for an attack.

Neo UT4 is pretty dead user

>They just want mindless dumb games they can play while socializing not something that takes any kind of effort or practice.
>The average person plays a game to have fun

I hope you're baiting because if you actually think killing someone in 3 shots or less with a fully automatic weapon isn't a minuscule TTK then you might be retarded.

Never even played an arena shooter.

EVERY non-empty server (handful of them) in both Warsow and Xonotic, in my (albeit limited) experience, is either an instagib TDM or ir has 2-3 players. in my 2-3 weeks attempting to play either game, I almost never encountered a live, classic-mode server where I can play against other players. The worst is that Xonotic has the potential to be the next UT, if only their bots weren't dumb as a brick.

Pretty much this.

Someone who has been playing the same game for almost two decades won't be satisfied unless the new game is a carbon copy with better graphics. Thing is: None of those people have been playing arena shooters lately. I can guarentee it. Just think about how fucking old those people must be now if they grew up with UT and the like. Cred Forums and vidya communities in general are filled with 25+ people who shit on anything new. They clearly don't enjoy vidya anymore - the old games because they have played them to death and the new ones because they're different. Yet they stick around.

I just don't get it.

I have never played any Battlefield game, but I know enough about the old and new titles to say that if you consider BF3 or 4 valid battlefield games you probably have never played Battlefield either.

Also, the realistic-shooters-have-low-TTK-and-arena-shooters-have-high-ones idea is nonsense. TTK in Quake-likes ranges from 100ms (shaft-rail combo or rocket to the face against fresh spawner in CPM) to 8 seconds and more (equal fight between reasonably stacked opponents).

livesow.net/#

That's not always the case. For instance, nobody wants Reflex to move away from being a CPM clone more than the old CPM guard. But they do not want a worse game.

So how is UT4 doing in terms of players anyway?

Haven't really had the time

You're going to have to sauce me here, what games are you talking about?

played neither of those games, but Overwatch?

Because those "skill based" games you love so much are ruined within 5 minutes of launch by legions of autist cheaters.

At least Overwatch sees the genre for what it is and just cuts out all the bullshit by giving everyone access to a full catalog of cheats.

youtube.com/watch?v=YBd5z0E8no4

Advanced Warfare actually looked really cool, and there was also another CoD game that actually had some means of bunny hoping and super fast mobility but I even remember people here bitching about the movement system for some reason.

Either way I'd love to see advanced movement make a comeback. Tribes Ascend really perfected easy to learn yet hard to master movement mechanics. Plus scoring points and surviving all tied into moving quickly, so it was an incredibly core mechanic.

>dirty bomb
>overwatch
>remotely comparable
What the fuck are you smoking.

Spot on man

Didn't this game have noteworthy balance issues in its hayday? I remember everyone bitching about you having to buy individual classes and some of them being mandatory.

Consoles becoming the main platform for a much more open CASUAL enviroment for videogames.

Simply put, the industry thought that by dumbing it down to caveman levels they could earn more money, and it is true.

Not while it has fucking heartbeat sensors that let you see through walls

Nowadays you have people praising garbage like Dark Souls for being difficult when in fact it's just a poorly made game, with poor controls and gameplay. We have gone that far down the shitter. Consoles ruined everything.

I don't know why that was buffed. It was perfectly balanced before.

Twitch shooter is a game that requires you to have lightning fast reflexes and quick decision making skills to be good at it

>Nowadays you have people praising garbage like Dark Souls for being difficult when in fact it's just a poorly made game, with poor controls and gameplay

Is this the ultimate redpill on Dark Souls? I'm so sick of it being memed but I've never played it

>not liking blade with a different setting despite 70% of the game being incomplete

>implying it's just FPSs that are dying
>implying games aren't catered to absolute fuckboy retards that want an achievement for booting up the game
>implying developers care about quality, just add cute women into games and they'll sell

That's not balancing though, just the burden of a F2P model.
The balancing problems came from some weapons of the same category being clearly superior to others, which thankfully they eventually evened.
The only mandatory classe is medic, but the best medic is also the cheapest.
The best fire support was free and came with the best weapon in the game by default. After that you could get an engineer but by that point you're pretty much set for life within a couple of hours.

The loadouts system is still there and as dumb as ever however.

Dark Souls has completely fine controls. It's not clunky but it is fairly slow and you need to think about every action before executing it. Like, swinging once at the wrong time can very easily result in half your health being taken. The game can be beaten at level 1 with proper dodging and timing of attacks, all the difficulty comes from reading enemy animations and acting accordingly. Shitty players just can't adjust to how souls works so they call it clunky.

The controls ARe bad and the game DOES feel clunky. Just because you mastered the bad controls doesn't mean it's not garbage.

And when you strip away that "learning curve" all you get is a nonexistant story and loads of bad memes.

Guys I havent played any bioshock games yet.
Should I buy remastered version 1&2 and play it ?
Are they still playable regardless of their age ?

They are moving shooters away from good aim is most important and more into action game territory. This is good, because good aiming is pretty boring imo.

Neat, wish I played it when it was actually active and semi popular. That really was an odd time were these F2P games would pop up and be genuinely really good when they first came out.

Why is that white guy so weird looking?

How so? It's basically just an action game with slower combat so you can put more emphasis into each of your moves. There is nothing wrong with the controls.

They started making games for the majority, and stopped making games for you.

Because he hates being white

>playing nUT4

Hello?

>boot up bioshock 1 remastered
>check options
>auto-aim: ON

I still remember the day it came out 12 years ago, with the same option. Man, nobody believed me but I think everyone deep down knew that PS3 and 360 were going to completely destroy the videogame market with casual shit like this.

>Halo
>high skill shooter

you need to be 18+ to visit this website

DELET THIS

You do realize LOL monthly player is 100 million right ?
Yes it has low skill ceiling, but it is still skill based game

Nigga doom 1 has autoaim

The downfall of the genre started back then

I swear ever since UT3, Unreal Engine has had some really awful performance issues. I don't think I've ever seen netcode where you had to lead hitscan weapons like a rocket launcher at 90 ping. Also their downscaling is atrocious and I'm always skeptical when I see that a game's made in UE these days because unless the devs are really good, it'll tank your computer even on potato quality, and even then textures will be 16x16 resolution with jpeg compression or some shit.

That's not exactly the same, come on now. Plus Quake doesn't have any aim assist.

HL1 Opposing Force does have an option for console like aim assist in the PC options. Shit's so out of place.

>I can't aim for shit that's why I like it

all I read bro

Agree 100% with you in Halo 5 being an arena shooter, I love playing competitive even tho I always get my ass handed to me when I play against serious teams

About it's popularity, thing is, Halo 5 sold a lot, there's lots of people playing, and now it's on PC and the community is developing itself pretty quickly

I think arena shooters are making a comeback in the next two years

Just look at the games that are releasing:

>Halo 5 in PC
>UT4
>Quake Champions

Quake Champions is gonna be key to it because it's from Bethesda, so it will have an incredible marketing campaign that will popularize the genre again, even if that game has "classes" (which won't really have much of an impact by what we've seen, most Quake fans are really hyped)

UT2004's movement is sophisticated as fuck if you're playing the correct game mode.

Because not everybody is a fucking NEET, and have an actual life. For some reasons, people want to be able to "win" in an online game even if they barely never play. They just want "instant fun", and "press X to win" do the job.

ITT: People that are bad at COD and Battlefield

pic related is OP.

What you faggots don't understand when defending CSGO saying that Quake/Unreal is all about memorization and aim, is that the most important factor in those games is MOVEMENT. In CSGO you always move slowly, jumping slows you down (try jumping and shooting erratically against low-tier players, they get confused as shit and can't shoot you, they aren't used to that) and if a bullet it's you, your movement is reduced to 30% of normal movement, so the game is basically reduced to "who sees who first" because getting hit only makes it easier to get hit again.
CSGO is dumb casual shit, and the average player, who's the main audience of those games, is rarely above Silver rank. A lot of players have hundreds of hours in the game, and they're still Silver rank. I'd rather shoot myself than keep playing like that

What if I don't like playing with other people but still want the challenge while playing single player games/arena shooter with bots set to godlike?

>FPS babies
If you're above the age of 30 and still play and care about games you need to rethink your situation.
Video games are for children

>shooter back then were fun but were pretty basic
>got physics better gamplay mechanics and better everything with next generation
>good amount of variety
>takes some skill
>nu-fps
>plays more like a point and click game with good graphics

where did it go so wrong? games used to take some skill and were fun but now are just about muh graphics and who has the biggest e-penis.

most fps have become casualized and require less teamwork like CSGO and nu battlefield.

will games ever recover?

>What the fuck happened to the FPS genre?
>It used to much more diverse and skill-based, rewarding good aim and tactical play, now they just give you automatic aim and buttons that wipe the enemy team.

Too many people who played those games too much.
I'm not playing against players who were playing it for 10+ years.
Hell even COD on PC is a tryhard shitfest. There are people who were playing EVERY.SINGLE.COD.GAME since COD2 and have thousands of hours in each game.

>so the game is basically reduced to "who sees who first" because getting hit only makes it easier to get hit again.

God no, what typically happens with shitty players is

>Player 1 sees player 2, opens fire, hits a few times and then their spread pattern goes way off point
>Player 1 turns, headshots player 2, continues doing what he wants

Plus, even at a intermediate level in CSGO people make callouts and cover the map so you're not getting surprised by the enemy. Plus you have a radar so you can easily see what your team is covering and what they aren't.

Quake/UT/Tribes all do have more depth but I'd still consider CS right below them. Older versions of CS do have some movement mechanics and you still need incredibly fast and accurate aiming abilities.

t. 16 year old
You only have that opinion because you're a child yourself and you don't want older people ruining your hobby

with regards to QL, movement is by far the easiest things to master. You'll have the major mechanics and important jumps on the important maps down after like 300 hours of gametime.

The average video game developer is over 30, at least if they're working in a good studio.

I never thought of Halo as an arena shooter. It's always been an amalgamation of a bunch of different types of shooter.

>CSGO
>requiring less teamwork

?

Also say what you will about Overwatch but a coordinated team will always beat out an uncoordinated team. Even if the uncoordinated team has better players.

Compared with todays mainstraem aaa fps halo 1 was very close to arena style fps.

But compared to games of it's time, there's a middle ground. It borrows from Quake and Counter Strike equally.

But if a slightly more skilled person sees you first, or gets you off guard, you have 0 chances of surviving. In UT, if I'm at full health, I can survive a missile, and still get a chance to fight back.
That's how casualized CS is, your opponents almost have no chances of fighting back, even less if you know recoil patterns (takes 5 minutes to memorize one). I've managed to kill 3-4 players in less than 10 seconds just because I caught them off guard and they were all sticking together, they didn't stand a chance, I didn't even need to aim correctly, it's all luck

Halo is pretty much a consoleized arena shooter. Map control and weapon spawns are important and it still has power ups (oversheild is like a mega health, invisibility, those gadgets that were in Halo 3).

It does have a lot more depth than CoD honestly.

>In CSGO you always move slowly, jumping slows you down
It's very noticeable especially when you compare csgo to cs 1.6.
A lot of times in 1.6 you have to bunnyhop around the corner especially on terrorist side especially on pistol rounds. Sometimes i just run foward and prefire corners but very often it's only jump that can save you from death and it's still 50-50 because some players have a very good aim and can hit your head while you're midair.
It's much much more simple in csgo.

Halo wins the dubious award of ripping off every memorable or popular scifi/horror/fps thing and still ending up generic and unmemorable.

What is Halo today? Nothing. It has no legacy. Nothing is inspired by it.

>getting mad because you're shit at modern fps

Come now, user.

>play CSGO
>someone tells team what to do
>no one can speak his language
>if they can they tell him to fuck off
>only teamwork in the game are callouts
>"DUDE, use AVP"
>we lose

if you really need to have any other stratagies other than rushing a place with smokes and flashbangs something wrong with you. CSGO is easy AF, only played it with my mates or to get skin drops

Lets just take all the depth and challange out of videogame controls, that will make them better, right?
Oh wait, now every game across the same genre just plays exactly the same.

I'm not saying it's without depth, I like Halo a lot. Halo borrows the weapon limit, relatively slower movement speed, and location-based damage of more tactical games while integrating the two genres.

>now every game across the same genre just plays exactly the same
That's what the majority of people who play any given genre want.

>People not properly covering the map get flanked
>it's luck that they died

Way to brutally contradict yourself. Map control is important, allowing yourself to get flanked is inexcusable. You know exactly where the enemy is going to spawn every single round and you should have a rough idea of how long it takes them to get from their spawn to any potential flanking position on the map.

>But if a slightly more skilled person sees you first, or gets you off guard

Sometimes, if the other person can score a headshot then yes, if not then the person who was flanked still has a chance to eek out a win. The game is far from "see someone first, kill them" like you've stated. Plus the whole round based game type means you shouldn't get flanked.

>me and my friends don't use teamwork so no one else has to

Solid arguments.

Point and click instead of point and hold the click button, and that is somehow shit?

This is why Overwatch is shit. There's take the objective, or escort the big dumb tank. The maps are unbalanced, and certain players are OP. I felt stupid for buying into the hype.

Most players can't follow simple orders like "defend short!" or something. It's very easy to deduce where the enemy team is from previous rounds. For example, in dust2, if the terrorist tried to attack B 2 times in a row and failed, they will either: Use a different path to get to B, or attack A. It boils down to this when deducting enemy tactics, I've surprised myself a lot of times when I guess it, and I can now guess where they are in dust2 80-90% of the time.
Unless they pull a bit more adavnced tactics, wich they rarely do, like splitting up and not rushing, using players as bait and ambushing

>equal spawns
>long TTK
>incredibly varied sandbox
>maps designed around movement
>Power weapons
>Power-Ups

It's the proof that arena shooters don't have to be copies of Quake 3.

Just look at Halo 5, all the abilities they added and the game still plays awesome, has a great competitive community and generally feels like skill matters

That's the reason Halo 4 was utter shit: it went too far from arena shooters

Also the reason why Halo 3 multiplayer wasn't nearly as good as Halo 2/5, it was too slow

>me and my friends dont use teamwork

never said anything like that, but shitters dont listen to commands so whats the point?

>he never played older games
you do far more than point and click you have to outsmart the bullet

>play T
>split rush with smokes and decoys
>tec-9 only
>win the game
its that easy desu

>>you will never again be able to gib your enemies and see their delicious meaty bits flying all over the place
>>YOU WILL NEVER EVER GIB YOUR ENEMIES AGAIN

black ops 3 has gibbing

I'd agree with you if not for the fact that every one of Halo 5's pickup weapons is the easiest thing in the game to use.

So, basically, modern fps made fps more realistic. Thanks for clearing that up.

At what rank are you playing that allows tec9 rushes to let you win every round? It sounds like you're playing against trash players. Also most people even in the nova ranks will cover the map properly and follow enemy callouts/make enemy callouts.

that's not a problem. Specially the fact that every weapon is easy to use but hard to master, making the game much more fair

A good player who knows which weapon and tactic to use in any situation will dominate in any match

The skill gap is there, trust me, I've lived it from both ends

Also not all weapons are so easy, I've only seen a couple of people using the Plasma Caster properly for example

They had to buff the Caster because nobody knew how to use it. Now it's just a "look at the ground and mash the trigger" gun. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that the BR and Storm Rifle are difficult weapons to master.

>realsitic
its not always a good thing, sometimes it gets in the way of fun

>allows tec9 rushes to let you win every round
tec-9 is OP and i fingerblast the mouse button to spray with it and use grenades, plus CSGO is full of shitters and people who are potato. most people would rather spout le epic may mays and use :^) every sentence than play the game

BR and Storm Rifle are easy, but they are also very easily countered

Against BR use CQC, Magnum, Storm Rifle, AR from proper distance, SMG... Or just get around and magnum the hell out of him from behind before he has time to realise that you got behind

Against Storm rifle just get +8 meters between you and your enemy and use any precision weapon. Also strafe and try to use momentaneus cover so he wastes the time to overheat, then kill before he has the chance to shoot again

Applies to csgo too.

see
I do genuinely hate how the Tec9 can 1 shot headshot at close range. Shit shouldn't be possible through a helmet. Then again I guess it just makes pistol/save round strats slightly more viable, which is a good thing IMO.

but yeah, bragging that brain dead strategies work against shitters isn't impressive at all. I bet you think all fighting games are button mashers because you can beat your friends by randomly throwing out attacks.

>he plays fighting games with friends
people stopped playing with me because i blocked their attacks and used combos

>isnt impressive at all
who cares? it works like a charm

also
>i bet you..
nigga i bet you wont let me play bizon because
>"i dont use that weapon so you cant use it"

Right here familia

forgot pic XD

they turned into moobies instead of being challenging games

>M-muh nostalgia: The Thread.
I want bitterfags to leave, they're never going to get what they want. If they loathe gaming so much, get the fuck out.

Shit community.

Autistic stat fests.

I come from Planetside 2, the last shooter I ever took seriously, 5.1 KDR Infantry only. High level head clicker.

And shooters now, except for milsim, are cancerous, the communities have all morphed into this thing where all the old faggots have made themselves self appointed gatekeepers because of muh quake playing, git gud, ha ha, not realizing you're aborting everything you play because no one will get settled in anymore.

And now there's no such thing as fun servers, mods, non-stat tracked rounds for people who want to practice etc. Can't remember the last time I had a game of zombie escape.

It isn't about Call of Duty being a movie or whatever horseshit you people come up with, it's about the fact the core userbase doesn't want fun anymore and the people who used to stick with games and enjoy them have been decimated internally and now are meme spouting stat grinding husks. Search your empty insides, you know it's true, faggot.

It isn't about bringing back le quake or le unreal tournament, you can bring them back, watch the cancer spread to them just as it has to anything else, the problem is internal, not in lack of shooters.

Makes me laugh, quake is like the promised land of an FPS player, but when you reach it, all you're going to find are the people you took with you, who ruined everything else.

10/10 taste. Stay in this thread, user.

Plus UT4 is open source. Anyone can help improve the game right now.

user, MAXes don't count as infantry nor does camping in the spawnroom.

>what happened to the FPS genre

Halo killed it and Call of Duty raped its corpse.

I never said it did, faget

y.you too...

>games are slowly giving up on objective gametypes because no one plays them,
except mobas and overwatch are objective based

>Give the player stars, medals, points, and dollars repeatedly, and you'll overload his biological reward mechanism, until he barely feels anything at each reward but becomes utterly and completely addicted, and experiences withdrawal when he stops playing for too long.

Sounds like a personal problem

>halo 5 maps
>way too big and play too slow
Wut, the movement makes them play fast. You can cross any of the arena maps faster than you could walk across lockout.

>The skill gap is there, trust me, I've lived it from both ends
What rank?
I still think automatics are too easy to use/strong. I abuse them but I don't like it.

The hell? One of the reasons I like 5 personally is because of how much faster it is than 2.

Other than CE those are the only ones I've tried though

>CURRENT YEAR
>we have multiple shooters designed around being competitive and skill based, revivals of old franchises, realistic shooters, fast shooters, arcadey shooters, casual shooters, class based shooters, etc
>90s
>shooters where the objective is to run around the map and collect powerups, thats it
How is that "more diverse"? Everything played like UT or Quake. Now, we have things that play like UT or Quake (including literally ut and quake) but also a bunch of other sub-genres of shooters. How is this a bad thing?

that's what I meant. Halo 5 base movement speed is the same as Halo 2, fastest in the series.

I'm usually Onyx (end up in platinum when I fuck up too much in the first day of the season).

I've been on the recieving end of the skill gap when I've played competitive (I got a team), I'm friends with Champ 1 in FFA last season (Arcano Cyrus) and I've been part of the Cyrus family, so I got to play against some of the best people in Europe and got my ass handed to me several times

>esports

what about it? Halo 5 competitive is fun as hell and you get to see how some people haver a lot of skill moving around the maps

>rewarding good aim
I hate this meme so much.

You can tell than an FPS is good when the legitquickscoper420xxx faggots are nowhere to be found.

you aren't going to see that shit in any decent arena shooter, that shit only happens in CoD

>sub LE thinking they know how csgo works

LOL

They are silver because they are shit. If you are silver you are shit too.

>good FPS
>aim not important

???????????

They're super easy to use for the amount of damage they can output, but I think that's more or less fixed just by putting less autos on a map and putting them on a tier 2 spawn, so there's only ever one at a time.
And nerf the amount of ammo you start with in the AR.

>have to spend time learning bulletspray patterns just so you can play with children and retarded people on a daily basis

no

I'd rather just play more Unreal.

The problem with their newer games is their stupid progression system.
It was perfect in WolfET. Everybody started on equal footing and you could level up, unlock weapons and improve a bit by doing well during a map or campaign.

Now it's all blocked behind a wall, i.e. play so and so many hours to unlock everything you need or play so and so many shekels, which leads to imbalance and people getting annoyed.

Afaik, Overwatch gives every player access to everything from the start, with only cosmetic shit being unlockable. They did at least that much right.

>cs:go
>must rely on 4 other shitters to win
i dont have 4 friends as good as me at cs:go, maybe one or two.

Dirty Bomb is good, but it still comes with a lot of retarded modern bullshit. I've no idea why Splash Damage included shit like Proxy's mines or Nader's martyrdom. This is not the game where such skills are balanced, the maps are too small.

On that topic, why the FUCK isn't Enemy Territory on Steam? Legal issues? You people fucking refuse to ressurrect one of the best multiplayer shooters of all time due to legal issues?

dark souls compared to quake ; controls ;
dark souls feels like controlling a 400 pound woman who eats for a living
quake : bunny hopping through teleportals at the speed of sound

>x-ray vision
>not a bad impact on FPS games
just take a look at how badly the classes in overwatch are balanced, the quake champions all will have different movement speeds and hitbox sizes, maybe even different health pools, fuck quake champions

I don't understand why they give players who played the gane longer an unfair advantage over newbies when their goal has been to even out the playing field for newbies. It seems like it would better to have every tool unlock from the start whd give advanced players challenges to complete to unlock shitty cosemetics that make you an easy target to shoot at.

Unplayable on console controllers.

Agreed, and it's funny too, because if you go into forming a constructive and cohesive team you'll grind gears with people pursuing the individual mindset. Not that teamwork is a flaw due to mistakes occurring, it's just the sense of reflection since the person in question does make mistakes as well that costs others. Even if he is the ACE of a team, there still lies aspects of communication to help improve team mates, i.e showing how you personally move through a section and why, so others can rapidly understand alternatives and why they work well, not- come on guys, get with it, spiral moral downwards, etc.

Gamers don't address and acknowledge mistakes in order to improve on it, only a few do as they switch off to enjoy.

Tastes change, genres fade out and come back. Non arena shooters will always be less popular today due to them being pretty much unplayable on consoles though.

But notice that even on PC, not many people play them.

>I don't understand why they give players who played the gane longer an unfair advantage over newbies when their goal has been to even out the playing field for newbies.
It's because younger players need shit to unlock as incentive to continue playing a game. They don't play games for the joy of playing a good game and getting good, they play solely to unlock all the shit in a game and then they move along to the next one.
Why do you think games like COD get yearly releases? They're taking full advantage of this.

There's also not a shortage of free arena fpses or cheap ones at all. None of them have any modern features like matchmaking, aside from TF2 or Overwatch if you count that. Most of them don't have achievements either. But there are a ton of these games either out or coming out.

UT4
Reflex
Xonotic
Warsow
Cube2
Red Eclipse
Quake Live
Quake Champions
Diaboloical
Dusk
Toxikk

It doesn't help that many people don't like the sci-fi elements at all, also having 15 game modes doesn't help, and using a server browser for 1v1 is annoying.

>It's because younger players need shit to unlock as incentive to continue playing a game. They don't play games for the joy of playing a good game and getting good, they play solely to unlock all the shit

It's not just younger players, there is a shitload of casuals who need that carrot on the stick. Look at the SE fanbase or any MMO fan and you'll see a bunch of manchildren who only play for progrrssion. DQBuilders is for that type of person who wanted to try Minecrap, but couldn't think of anything to do without something holding their hand abd giving them achievements.

Controllers happened.

Halo 5 did that without hurting the game

>req system and micro-transactions didn't hurt the game

It didn't. It only affected Warzone which is a new mode and was actually half-decent most of the time

Thos micro-transactions are actually ridiculous because unlocking everything takes no time

Like, literally, I got more hours on Reach than Halo 5 and I don't have half the ammount items I got in Halo 5 without spending a single euro

They didn't if you avoided the 3(was 2) playlists they affected.

The problem I'm having with AFPS is that as almost all AFPS games are close to death, the remaining servers are just instagibs. What's up with this shit? Why can't I play standard modes instead of this casual crap?

Because it is profit center it affects whole game.
Why do you a Halo game released with no BTB playlist in 2016, why do you think we still only have community made BTB maps?
>Thos micro-transactions are actually ridiculous because unlocking everything takes no time
It takes a fair amount of time, some people didn't even have dmr until levels 70+.
Half the content wasn't even available outside of reqs and warzone, they only just now added them to forge.

Oh the default controls also aren't really suitable for playing the game. They should really move to some default that has binds on QWERFCV1234 etc instead of on all number keys. It's like an MMO, but even more unplayable.

The BTB playlist came out like a month after launch. What's wrong with having a community-supported playlist?

Yes a Halo game launched without a BTB playlist, that's travesty.
>What's wrong with having a community-supported playlist?
We should at least get some dev maps. 343 has put zero effort into BTB. They didn't even fix the spawn weapons to AR magnum which is what community forgers playtested with.
We didn't get infection for half a year, we're still missing classic Halo game modes. When req system makes so much money the rest of the game suffers.

Do you honestly believe that every missing map and mode would be there if there was no Warzone?

I don't know what you mean by missing maps, but yes we would have dev made btb maps.

>I see that everyone is advocating for magnum starts in the BTB playlist and I'm glad to see the support for it. Unyshek has been trying to create a trial period for magnum starts in the Big Team Battle playlist for quite some time now. We need to show more interest for magnum starts as a community to help convince some higher ups from the MP team.
forgehub.com/threads/big-team-battle-community-refresh.154026/#post-1661967

>unlocking everything takes no time
It takes until around 120-130. That's not no time.

Old school FPS games died because the players would rather complain about new games than play the old ones. How many people decrying the death of Quake even play it?

Warzone was better than BTB I don't see what the fuss is about

Look kid, nobody cares that you wasted a thousand hours learning how to rocket jump.

Bungie didn't make it, even though that was their plan since Halo 2 entered production.

Maybe they need another five months?
How is it better? It's same shit with shitty req system and less game modes.

this

Also nerfing of abilities/weapons just to placate the whiners

More shit to do and more players at once. Not to mention the sound design is top notch

Nothing. You just play bad FPSes. Meanwhile I play masterpieces like Insurgency and Squad

There's no reason you couldn't up BTB player count.
Sound design is aspect of the game not a game mode.

To be fair the UT is still very unfinished so it makes sense that it isn't too popular yet.

It works better on larger levels, and it's a nice change of pace from the pace of arena mode.

You can't raise player count on BTB with the same maps and get the same experience. Not to mention the complete lack of PvE

The PvE is pretty shit. They're just bullet sponges with garbage ai.
WZFF is spartan ops with a new name.

I just want more single player FPS. Everyone's just trying to make the next esports hit, I honestly don't care. Halo 5 campaign was shit, D44M was fun but short, hopefully they come out with a real expansion instead of shitty multi DLC. Shadow Warrior was ok but too repetitive. Crysis 3 was way too short. Doesn't look like new Quake will have single player which sucks. Far Cry 4 was ok but too similar to Far Cary 3. Rise of the Triad was fun though.

k

Even if you like warzone, doesn't mean microtransctions are good.

Why not? We got a bunch of free shit from it and you still get tons of req points for free

UT4 is unfinished , but also has a metric fuck ton more content than toxikkkkkk

The arena shooter genre stopped evolving after ut2004.

>the average player, who's the main audience of those games, is rarely above Silver rank.
You realize Nova 4 is the average rank, right? The bulk of players are around Nova.

>But if a slightly more skilled person sees you first, or gets you off guard
Except that's far from the case. Your chances of winning are reduced, obviously, but there's still always a chance if you haven't completely fucked up already.

>I've managed to kill 3-4 players in less than 10 seconds
If 3-4 not only let you flank them but couldn't manage to kill you then they're probably shit. Alternatively, they were on an eco which means that killing them is nothing to be proud of. If it took you ten seconds to kill them then you're probably shit too.

>We got a bunch of free shit from it
Stuff that should've been in at launch, req filler shit, and interesting reqs that are locked behind playtime.
Average player is going to get to use a hannibel vehicle < 5 times ever.

Did Toxikk ever get more than one map?

Toxikk has vehicles.

The game has to come out and start making money at some point. Having something to work to between multiplayer matches is better than nothing at all. Warzone's more like a casual lobby anyway

It's a AAA game that costs $60 not some freemium game.
>Warzone's more like a casual lobby anyway
Except for the try-hard full teams who farm kills 24/7.

>one map
Robocraft has more than one map, and helicopters, and planes, tanks, walkers, and plenty of weaponry to chose from.
>a free game has more content than a free game that was once not free

>Be shitter
>Play with shit randoms
>Lose because nobody works together
>Play with stack of friends vs a group of randoms
>Win because you're all actually working together
lol game is easy, guys. Doesn't need teamwork at all. I bet you've probably not even DMG.

Simple to pick up, good enough to keep the attention span of the people that don't have time or skill or don't want to git gud for a longer time.

This so much. I keep replaying the same old fps games and some Doom wads. They are fun but can only entertain for so long.

Play rainbow 6 or csgo u cuck

COD has skill based match making now and they match you with shitty teammates so you can't stomp as hard. I also don't understand the low skill floor argument since everyone dies super fast and it takes legit game knowledge and skill to have success whereas other shooters often have "teamwork" to make up for low skill

Halo marked its downfall but Cred Forums is chock full of Halo kiddies they don't want to admit their first FPS game killed the genre. Then Call of Duty happened and now there's no going back.

youtube.com/watch?v=VN1N05WmiqU

But UT2k4 came out after Halo

There's a whole lot of implying going on in that post.

Looks fucking silly.

I like it, I'll probably buy it if it actually comes out and is not too expensive.

I have 900 hours in Halo Reach and I don't have everything

>Halo happened.
go back further

That's cosmetics only. I can accept cosmetics taking a long time but things like weapons and vehicles shouldn't.

the one problem i have is that damage seems to be lower or health seems to be higher. just makes fights last longer.

I get that but it only affects Warzone

>Boot up Quake Live
>Almost every server is Clan Arena

Fucking WHY? Why is a gamemode where it strips out searching for weapons and powerups so popular?

>once you take your nostalgia goggles off, these games are actually pretty shit
Nice tu quoque here, faggot.

how would i make an fps fun if i made one?

>Quake 3 didn't give you medals, dollars, points, ribbons, and who knows what the fuck else for every single pointless action you perform
DOUBLE KILL
TRIPLE KILL
MULTI KILL
ULTRA KILL

This guy gets it.

OH HELL NAW!