How did this piece of literal shit sell 100 (ONE HUNDRED) million...

How did this piece of literal shit sell 100 (ONE HUNDRED) million? Surely the Gamecube or N64 were more deserving of such sales in their day. At least it they had a few decent games to boast of. The Wii was just garbage, even compared to its competition.

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendo.com/games/detail/L_TgGfVbpW65gwls58ayjTD9Fd-EwqIT
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PS4 managed to sell a lot, anything is possible when it comes to gullible consumers who fall victim to mass marketing

casuals and better marketing

Same reason the news mini will be the top seller. It's cheap.

>tons of hidden gems
>GOAT emulation box
>100% backwards compatibility with GCN games
>easy as pie to hack
>cheap as shit
Why do "mature gamers" hate the Wii?

It's a good homebrew machine, to be nice about it.

*nes mini

wii had mario galaxy 1 & 2

I know that's not the reason why but it at least helps me justify it's existence

It was marketed to a much wider audience. Fat people were getting it to lose weight, old people bought it to stay active, kids bought it cuz video games, etc.

The vast majority of casuals who bought it never bought a game. They just used it as a Wii Sports and netflix machine

This.

because Wii Sport is the best game ever, suck a dick faggot

Dumb parents who needed their kids to shut up so they bought them the cheapest and most kid friendly console.
Aka Nintendo's key demographic.

Same reason iPhones sell 100 million units quarterly. Normal people buy what other normal people buy.

well thanks for telling us about how you don't play video games, OP

real fun

>needing a powerful system for good gameplay

Sure, some strategy games do require a lot of CPU. But the vast majority of games can run just fine on 5 year old hardware, and the cheaper price tag is always appreciated.
Daily reminder that graphicsfags are cancer.

>Worst smash bros.
>Worst Zelda
>Worst Metroid
>Worst Animal Crossing
>No Pokemon RPG
>No Pikmin
>Lazy rehashed sequels (Galaxy 2)
>Garbageware Third Party titles
>Terrible online infrastructure (in 1981+25)
>No HD (in 600/3*10+6)
>waggle
>nintendo.com/games/detail/L_TgGfVbpW65gwls58ayjTD9Fd-EwqIT

This console was the precursor to mobile gaming, which is one of the major reasons why the Wii u wasn't able to recreate it. Everyone had moved to mobile at the end of the Wii's cycle

It's one of the best consoles ever user, bet you are too young to understand.

I don't think it's a particularly great console, but I am having a lot of fun with it. 1/3 of the way through my Wii backlog.

>How did this piece of literal shit sell 100 (ONE HUNDRED) million?
Marketing and Wii Sports.
>Surely the Gamecube or N64 were more deserving of such sales in their day.
N64 had to compete against the PSone and FFVII. NGC had to compete against a console with DVD player, backwards compatibility and sequels of good PSone games.
>At least it they had a few decent games to boast of.
At their days? Yes. Today? NGC games are still good to play, N64 not so much but the good ones are playable on other systems.
>The Wii was just garbage, even compared to its competition.
A hacked Wii with GC ports is god tier and the Wii library is full of hidden gems. Xbox 360 was good until kinect shit and PS3 became good after slim. A hacked Wii with a PS3 is a good combo.

Haters gonna hate, but the Wii was great.

bad opinion

>Worst Zelda
But Wind Waker was on the NGC

>best smash bros singleplayer
>best versions of the entire metroid prime series
>best ports of many other gamecube games like resident evil 4 and okami
>best 3d mario (galaxy 2)
>best controller
>best online system of any nintendo system so far (lmao)

user, if you wanted to make a thread bitching about the Wii then just make a thread bitching about the Wii. I don't believe for one second that you need us to explain to you why the Wii sold so well.

It had good games.

You know, unlike the N64 or Gamecube.

PS4 is objectively the best console of it's generation.

>gamecube games
>okami

>best controller

Because the motion control gimmick sold to about 50 million plus "non gamers" who also bought wii fit and wii sports resort
>muh 100 million wii sports sales tho
well when it comes with every console what they fuck do you expect?
the playroom and whatever shovelware came with the kinect ""Sold"" 100 million as well

>Garbageware third party titles

The winners of each gen usually have a metric fuckton of garbageware third party titles in the mix. NES, PS2, etc. People tend to conveniently forget this when it comes to PS2 though, and I think it's because titles like Devil May Cry make them forget. The thing is, titles like Sin and Punishment 2 can also make you forget about the other shit on Wii. But many just choose to focus on the crap.

>Worst smash bros.
It doesn't have Smash 64.

>Worst Zelda
It doesn't have Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, or Majora's Mask.

>Worst Metroid
Granted.

>Worst Animal Crossing
Animal Crossing has always been bad.

>No Pokemon RPG
Nintendo consoles don't do those.

>No Pikmin
I fail to see how that's a problem.

Gamecube had those too.

>Garbageware Third Party titles
Every popular console is loaded with shovelware, the PS2 included. In fact, every console ever made has lots of shovelware.

>Terrible online infrastructure (in 1981+25)
Nintendo's first foray into online.

>No HD (in 600/3*10+6)
The Wii's success obviously proves people didn't care about HD output.

>waggle
There is nothing inherently wrong with motion controls.

>N64 were more deserving of such sales in their day
the 64 was a fucking embarrassment considering what came before and after it

Just because your put in the effort

(you)

The Gamecube was more of an embarrassment than the N64.

You forgot
>worst Mario Kart
And fuck you SMG 2 is great

The worst thing the Wii did is kill the Wii U, a relatively good console, by association.

The fact that the Wii had an excellent pack in game seems like a positive to me.

The Wii was the only 7th gen console that didn't totally ignore local multiplayer.

I was in college during the Wii's heyday and Wii Sports, Resort, Mario Kart Wii, Big Brain Academy, Brawl (and Melee) were mainstays at every party for probably 3 years.

The only local multiplayer I recall doing on PS3 or Xbox was rock band.

The gamecube had a better controller, better library, GBA support, and has barely aged compared to the N64's early 3D that doesn't hold up in most games that aren't Mario 64

How do so many people not understand this. Was it frustrating owning a wii when it was a current gen system? Yes. But today it offers the best offline console library at a great price. So many hidden gems, backwards compatibility and emulation why wouldn't you have one?

Sold my Wii years ago to pay for a car repair...
Still had my PC so it wasn't that bad.
Got a bargain wiimote and some candles to emulate after that.
Still had the only "console exclusives" that really interested me.
Gud console, shitty graphic - who cares is you played your first games on a Atari St you can cope with shitty gfx.
Also if you played your first games on an atari st you probably old enough that you don't need to prove how manly you are by the gaming consoles you own.

>casual plebs like the Wii because Wii Sports and Mario Kart
>casual dudebros hate the Wii because casual plebs like it
>people capable of digging deeper for hidden gems like the Wii for having great niche titles
>Cred Forums cries because they can't use google and need daddy Nintendo to spoonfeed them with colorful mascot cartoons and Nintendo Direct memes

That's not saying much, tho.

>No HD

Pro-tip: Wii Component cables are 4 bucks.

Even at 480p, games like galaxy, brawl, and NSMB Wii look better than most 360 or PS3 games.

Or they've at least aged better.

Wii as a console wasn't good, the lack of rechargeable batteries was annoying, and the necessity of stuff like the nunchucks and sensor bar made the Wii a hassle to bring to other peoples' homes. Not exactly the most portable console. And its online was subpar.

That said it had its positives too. It had a decent amount of good games and it heavily supported local multiplayer. Wiiware was also superior to Wii U. We had games like Gradius Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, Contra Rebirth, etc. Meanwhile Wii U gets next to nothing on Wiiware.

So yeah, there are positives and negatives.

>The gamecube had a better controller
You mean that controller that scared even more people away from the Gamecube than the N64's did?

>better library
The Gamecube's worse sales disagree, since the point of first-party software is to move hardware. If the Gamecube's library were good, the system wouldn't have been a flop.

>GBA support
You mean that handheld that almost entirely consisted of remakes and ports with a shitty sound driver?

>well when it comes with every console what they fuck do you expect?
You seem to be under the impression that pack-in games are bad. The pack-in game should be the killer app for the system. People bought Wiis for Wii Sports, not the other way around. The console is just a box you buy to get to the game.

Have you ever played fishing resort? Its the deepest gem in the library. Ruined games for me for a long time because nothing has been so addicting and comfy. Also I have never played a fishing game besides sega bass fishing.

My baby.

>lack of rechargable batteries
they take normal AAs, you can get rechargable AAs you know... there even was a wiimote loading station for like 20 bucks.

>Necessity of nunchucks and sensor bar
I think that's personal preference, i liked the nunchucks. also 2 candles are the best sensor bar.

Online was really shit tho.

I've never gotten into fishing games before, but seeing >Yuji Naka has me interested, I'll give it a try sometime.

The Wii was $250 at launch and during one of the biggest economic downturns in recent history.

It had a great pack in game.

It was great for kids.

It was great for parties.

It did something interesting instead of going the, "same games better graphics" route.

It was 100% backwards compatible with GameCube games.

Some of the best NES, SNES, and N64 games came to Virtual Console.

What else do you want to know?

what is ACTUALLY wrong with the separated joystick? i really liked the nunchuk deal, they felt really good and being able to play with my arms further apart than 6 inches was great

Maybe it is a personal preference. I wasn't really a fan of those. I did get those Niko batteries but they only lasted a couple of years, and that charging station didn't always work. Seemed very picky with how you set the remotes down on it.

You are right OP but that console was the birthplace of my all time favorite vidya.

It wasn't until recently that my Wii was just a Xenoblade machine.

Well i never used one, i have always some good rechargable AAs laying around so i just used those.
They kept the wiimotes running for a few days, what i found surprising considering the infrared cam in them.
Also a couple of years is preddy gud for batteries... but thats why they are usually cheap as fuck compared to li ion

It has Little King's Story on it, that's enough for me

The Wii sold so much because of it's massive games library. That's the reason why it won last generation singlehandedly compared to the 360 and PS3 which had no games at all.

Great game.

It's so weird that MS and Sony would both release consoles that had absolutely no software on it.

Like, the only game they ever even announced for PS3 was The Last Guardian and that is pushed back to PS5 now

>Tfw Star Citizen will be released b4 Last guardian
>Tfw both will be the new duke4ever

why wouldnt you play the pc port instead?

Because the game came out half a decade ago and the PC port didn't exist until now. You're right though, it's better to wait half a decade for the game to come out on Steam so your money goes to Based Gaben!

no i just googled it and saw there was a pc release, calm the fuck down. also there is a gog release

This.

I love it when guys who are way to into their PCs are like, "Just play it on PC!!"

Particularly when they're talking about emulation.

"SCOFF!! Go ahead and play Bayonetta 2 on your TRASH Wii U. I'll just emulate it."

Cool. In a couple of years when Wii U emulation is perfect and runs at full speed I'm sure you'll have a great time.

I'm just gonna play it now tho

i just asked why he wouldn't you defensive piece of shit, i didn't know it was only recently ported

FIGHT ME YOU PC LORD!

FFFFIIGGHT MEEE!!!

*PUTS UP PAWS* KITTIES GOT CLAWS RYYAAWW *HISSS*

>hidden gems
>hidden gems
>HIDDEN GEMS

Ok, faggots. If you got'em, list'em.

Another Code R, Endless Ocean 2, Lost in Shadow are three underlooked yet very good games