So, I just purchased this thing

So, I just purchased this thing.
I have literally zero knowledge of the Ace Attorney games, I've never played any of them in my life. Though I'm thinking of buying the Ace Attorney Trilogy and Dual Destinies soon-ish.
What can I expect? What should I keep in mind before playing the game?
And is AA: Apollo Justice worth playing?

This series is the only reason I even own a ds and 3ds.

You should play them in release order.

So I take it they're good, then?
And actually, I lied, I do have some knowledge of the most basic gist of the games because of the anime.
But I've heard the anime is a shitty adaptation, so I don't pay much mind to it.

Yeah, that may be a good idea.
I Apollo a necessary entry in the series? Cause that one ain't on the 3DS EShop.

Play them order you dumb fuck

It sets up some of the character developments for 5 and 6. If you can't find a copy of it at least read the game script or plot summary. I did that before playing Dual Destinies and didn't have any problems.

Apollo justice is 100% necessary to understand the characters and setting in DD and Spirit. Just emulate it. You should also play Ace Attorney Investigations, just because it is a good game

Well, shit.
Thanks for the tip, guys.
Btw, what about the crossover with Professor Layton? How's that one?
What's the order?

>What's the order?
1 2 3 4 5 6

I don't know what I expected.

Ace Attorney, Justice For All, Trials and Tribulations, Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice.

Ace Attorney Investigations takes place right after Trials and Tribulations but it isn't really referenced in the main games.

The Layton crossover is pretty fun, but it's a side-story that has no bearing on the other games.

Play in release order. Apollo Justice is kinda a bad game in my books, but if you do play through it you get a better appreciation of how they handled one of the characters in 6 and how they've developed, though if you don't feel like it, you can just read up a summary or watch a playthrough.

Once you've finished the Trilogy, you should consider looking into two Investigation games and the crossover with Layton if you find yourself liking the series.

There are two investigation games?
Are they both about Edgeworth?

The crossover is fine, but it's only worth playing if you have completely exhausted the mainline games of each series and still need more. You also have to play Ghost Trick, because It's TECHNICALLY set in the same universe as AA and is high quality videogames

Yes. They don't have any importance to the overall story, so you can play them at any point after beating the trilogy, but they're good and AAI2 is probably one of the better games in the entire series.

This should really be set to Smooth Criminal

AA 5 and 6 are extremely handhold-y compared to the first 4 games anyway

All right, thanks you guys.
Seriously, I've been interested in playing the AA games for a long time, but I've always been afraid I may be too dumb for them.
Guess I just got a bunch of games added to my backlog.
Counting the main games, the spin offs, the crossover and ghost trick as said, that's like 10 fucking games with dozens of hours of gameplay...
Damn,

It's not too extreme and you do have to admit that there are times when the original trilogy needed a few extra pieces of guidance to tell you what it wanted you to do. I love Rise for the Ashes but also fuck that case and fuck that trophy thing

The trials are pretty similar, but I remember always getting stuck on the investigation stages before, while 5 and 6 the investigation has no breaks and might as well not have any interactivity at all

Just worry about the 1-3 Trilogy before you think about everything else. The first game is probably the hardest just because it feels like there's tons of options and you don't know what will do what, once you start to see the gameplay pattern through all the dialogue you can start getting a feel for how it wants you to think about things.

>too dumb for them
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time, the game does give you enough to figure things out and if all else fails, you can just brute force your way. Just enjoy the ride.

I think AJ is pretty good, it's definetly better than DD and overall it's pacing is better than JFA, JFA has a good last case and a good second case but 1 and 3 are terrible.

I think you should play them in release order because they're pretty great novels.

Don't be afraid to savescum if you're having trouble during a trial

In AA1-4 saving boots you back to the title screen to make you think it's a temporary bookmark, but it is a permanent save that you can go back to if you game over. AA5-6 straight up drop the pretense and let you save in the middle of anything.

>I just purchased the 6th installment of a series I have absolutely no knowledge about

>What should I expect

You being a complete fucking retard

>So, I just purchased this thing.
>purchased

To be fair if you're not used to such story-driven games you might not know how important it is to play in order

>implying continuity is important in AA

All of the games are self-contained.

How do you guys even emulate AA4? I can't get passed the gimmicky microphone shit

>I've never played any of them in my life
>so I'm starting with the sixth
This is a satire thread, right? There's no way someone could be this stupid.

I emulated it with OpenEmu and did fine.

I play it on my phone with Drastic.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the powder blowing bullshit

set a key for the mic in your emulator settings m8

There is no option for that, unless I'm on an older version of Desmume or something

Config > Hotkey Config

The iOS has a 1:1 port of the first PW which is identical to the DS version. I very much know since it was my first PW game. The trilogy version got fucked.

>You also have to play Ghost Trick, because It's TECHNICALLY set in the same universe as AA
Really? I get that there are some reference like the dog being named Missile and Jowd's clothes, but I never saw something indicating that they're in the same universe

>It's not too extreme
Dual Destinies was lousy with the handholding. SoJ reigned it in a bit by at least limiting the counseling to an optional mechanic you can get if you fuck up a few times, but in DD the characters would offer you counsel without prompt in the middle of you pressing the fucking witness.