Unexpected Difficulty

Any of you guys experienced the feeling when playing through a series that one game is just so much harder than the rest?

I'm replaying the Warioland series on Virtual Console, and I only ever played 1,2 and 4 when I was younger. I just downloaded Warioland 3 today and holy shit, this game is confusing as all fuck

>start off with none of your abilities
>so many collectables
>night and day cycle fucking with your progress, forcing you to restart levels
>so many different enemies than can fuck with you, and you need to let fuck with you
>SO MANY SECRETS

I easily 100%ed 1 and 2 in the last week, but this game is balls to the walls hard.

Do any other series notably do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AH70CwY__Ms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I played 3 when I was a pretty small kid but even then I still remember printing out an FAQ early 2000s style
It's a very big game, as long as you don't use it for every little thing it's perfectly fine

Zelda 2 was pretty brutal, it's the only thing that keeps it from being one of my favs in the franchise

WL3 is like the worst kind of metroidvania design. Your base abilities are fucking shit and it takes over half of the game before you're powerful enough to do anything.

It's been so long since I've played this game, but I 100 percented it twice.

I know I used a FAQ at some point

No game in the Rayman series comes close to the difficulty of the first one, around picture city the game gets fucking brutal.

Mega Man X? It's probably the least consistent MM series.

I'm trying to do it walkthrough free, walkthroughs cheapen puzzle style games.

This definitely seems more puzzle oriented than platforming.

>it's a timed mission

WL2 is mostly piss easy with a fucking ANNOYING AS HELL final stage. So I welcomed this.

Also you can ask the Face and he tells you exactly where to go. And you almost always have to get Black Key first, the only real exception is having to do Desert Ruins twice for both sides of the same treasure.

I always thought Zelda 1 was harder, honestly.

It has a gentler difficulty curve but you're still fucked when you walk into a room with like 8 darknuts or wizzrobes or whatever

Same here. I know I had to look something up, but don't remember what it was.

In terms of difficulty, I remember the very last secret level in WL2 that unlocked when you completed all the chapters being hard as balls.
Not only was it hard, but also just fucking weird with it's background. Petrified enemies, floating human eyes, ears and mouths. What the fuck were they smoking when they made this level?
There's another level like that in WL3, but heavily toned down in weirdness if I remember it correctly.

See I found that easy because it was clear what you had to do in each section.

Sure the strafe jumping part and the part where you have to bounce on the spearmen was a bit annoying, but at least it was clear.

I can do WL1, 2 and 4 without a walkthrough, I had to look for one in the first 2 hours of playing 3 because it was so confusing, even with the face guy telling me where to go.

It took me over a decade to beat Warioland 3.

Mostly because my friend told me you need to jump on the final boss's hands then shoulderbarge him in the face when he lifts them up. You can't do that, you're meant to stomp his hands and throw them at him which I only found out when I picked it up again many years later.

WHY THE FUCK DID I BELIEVE HIM FOR SO DAMN LONG?

FUCK YOU STEVEN.

Wario Land 3 was such a disappointment, it took nothing of what 2 did well

That's why I never played it back in the day.

WL2 was a fucking masterpiece though.

Wario Land 3 has some problems, but fuck if I don't want another game like it. Just how you interact with the world and change how levels are designed by finding items or triggering events, it's neat as hell. There's a ton of backtracking and figuring out where to go next, but it never really felt like some horrible drudgery.

The golf game can go shove a sand wedge up its ass head first.

100%ing Wario land 4 on s-hard with no item help is far more difficult to me, IMO.

I loved that game. how your actions had impact on the overworld. Plus, the screen you get whne you 100% it is awesome.

I may have cried a bit at the 8bit ending theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=AH70CwY__Ms

I hated those pay2win games in 2 much more. Especially since you had to look fir the second one in every stage.

Golf was only every 5 or so stages.

That fucking face always lied to me.

Telling me to go to a water level when I can't swim, go fuck yourself you asshole.

The True Arena is meant to be a challenge, but Planet Robobot kinda took it a step beyond.

>Healing items always the smallest.
>There is no healing for the 4th hardest encounters
>Of which has 2 potentially OHKO attacks.

Did you knew you could actually pair up the Wario games in the wario land series, in term of general mechanic?

Wario land
Virtual Boy Wario Land
-has power-up helmet with different abilities and health is limited to the helmet you wear and then shrinking in size. next hit is fatal. You can Game over.

Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3
-Immortal, bosses can only defeat you by throwing you out of the arena. You can not game over anymore, except for the final boss of Wario land 3

Wario land 4
Wrio Land: Shake it
-Wario now has a health bare, but emptying it doesn't kill you anymore, instead it eject you from the level and you have to start over. The bosses aren't at the end of the levles anymore but have their own dedicated boss room level. Games now have a timer and if you run out of time, it start sucking out the money you have collected, when you run out of money, you get ejected out of the game and you have to start over. Bosses are on a timer too. there is no game over.

Haven't played master of disguise, so I don't know where to put it, though.

His health bar in 4 still works like a health bar, they just got rid of the life system so you can attempt a course how many times you want. Sort of like Banjo Tooie.

>Haven't played master of disguise, so I don't know where to put it, though.
Put it in the trash. That game was bad.

>sprites are pretty, movement isn't too bad, EVERY OTHER THING IS SHIT

Christ what a disappointment. I thought I was gonna play a Wario game, not some garbage puzzle platformer with drawing recognition worse than Brain Age.

>His health bar in 4 still works like a health bar
Wario Land 4 IS the first wario game to have an health bar. Before that he is imortal or has the shrinking size life system of mario, with the power up item giving you an additional hit point.

>mfw my young self 100%ed Wario Land 3 without any usage of FAQs

Well, technically, the Face on the wall is an FAQ too.

Reboot of Warioland when?

>liking this ending screen so much you let it on long enough for it to almost burn on the screen of the gameboy color
I can't be the only one, can I?

why need a reboot? It just need a new game. What nintendo game has ever been rebooted anyway?

This game's difficulty was so fucked because the devs weren't too smart with how they beta tested their game

Ubi was a small team so the creators of levels themselves tested the difficulty, and since they designed and played the levels over and over and knew how the new powers worked, they thought the game was fine. End users suffered though as there were no areas for you to learn how to use new powers, they just throw you in a pool with sharks with an iron ball tied to your ankle

Is the 3DS ever have a Virtual Boy library in its eshop? I know it dordn't have lots of good game, but I heard Virtual Boy Wario Land is actually good and come on, the Virtual boy should be a given as for being available as a virtual console on the 3DS.

>there will never be a 3D-enhanced Virtual Boy Wario Land with proper, non-eye-destroying visuals

>Wario will always be relegated to the side character to fill out the roster in big ensemble games and you will probably never see another Wario solo title beyond maybe another crappy Warioware game.

>there isn't even a Wario game for the 3DS, no Land, no ports, not even WarioWare, nothing

As much as I like the thing, who the hell dropped THAT ball?

That's waluigi you are describing.

Sorry, what was that? I was too busy playing Wario Land 4 on my 3DS.

>>there isn't even a Wario game for the 3DS, no Land, no ports, not even WarioWare, nothing

I only just realised this.

What the fuck?

Only for Ambassadors, though.

No idea why they don't make more GBA games available on the eshop.

Fuck, for years, I have been thinking the zelda Four Sword game should be available on the 3DS and playable online.

>Nintendo: I guess no one likes Wario games any more!

But Waluigi was never good user.

Wario had a fucking great franchise and now?

POOF. Nothing.

If Paper Mario wasn't going to shit, I'd think a Paper Wario game would be a ton of fun and a huge success. Otherwise a Wario & Waluigi spinoff would be cool.

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo didn't even put out a "New" Wario 3D Land kind of game or anything

Just because it does not come out as often as COD doesn't mean it's bad. Better to wait for them to come up with a good concept than have a series of shitty game every year.

Yeah but how long has it been since Wario Land 4?

I wish Nintendo got their act together and looked at what 25 IP's made them the most money/got them the best reviews in each console generation, and then made SURE that each of them got at least one game per generation, until they declined in popularity/quality

I just wanna play another WL game...

Well, the next coming Paper game doesn't look so bad, imo.

>Yeah but how long has it been since Wario Land 4?
You are aware that there was Wario land: shake it! too, right? why does so many forget about that game?

IT's technically not even a "Land" game.

It's just Wario Master of Disguise. No "Land" in the title.

Wasn't clear enough that it was a continuation of the series, PLUS it wasn't handheld, which was the draw of the original series, PLUS the shitty Wiimote gimmick.

And even still, that was 8 years ago, got a decent review, was in the last console generation, and sold comfortably (not amazingly, but still.)

There were a shitload lot of healing items, even though they're small and you could take em with you when you were full health though.
Not denying some of those bosses were super tight.

>Wasn't clear enough that it was a continuation of the series
OF COURSE IT IS. It's a full fleshed game and it has Captain Syrup. you can't be clearer than this. plus, it has Freaking "Land" in the title.

> PLUS it wasn't handheld, which was the draw of the original series
I am pretty sure the draw of the series is its gameplay.
>PLUS the shitty Wiimote gimmick.
It's well implemented in that game. doesn't feel like a gimmick but an integral part of it.

But user, the 3DS already has a platformer about collecting money. You can't have two!

>PLUS it wasn't handheld, which was the draw of the original series
Personal opinion, but I think Shake it has more in common with the "land" series" than Master of disguise.

i had to try deacons of the deep 5 times

every warioland game is easy and i 100% ever single one multiple times as a kid. They are excellent games

notable exception for WL4 on super hard mode.

JUST
TIME MY SHIT OUT SENPAI

I remember there was a chest in the city level in which I was stuck for YEARS and then the solution was something incredibly stupid but when I replayed it I couldn't figure it out again

you had to use some pretty advanced jumping moves, it was insane but also satisfying to complete, literally a challenge level

That wasn't a debate, Master of Disguise sucked, I just think Shake-it isn't REALLY a continuation of the WL series and they could easily release WL5 with a competent development team and have it sell over half a million units if marketed correctly.

>notable exception for WL4 on super hard mode.
Aerodent is a nightmare to do without the help of shop items.

>, I just think Shake-it isn't REALLY a continuation of the WL series
It has the same gameplays element than Wario Land 4, though.

That game was really bad and uninspired

And this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy

They made SNES games, why not GBA games (New 3DS exclusive because reasons).

It's the only NSMB game I haven't bothered to play, and I fuckin love 2D Mario

Nothing about the game looks interesting

>Seeing that ending screen and hearing the music for the first time, and the feeling of satisfaction that you just cleared the whole game