Consoles, what could they have been and should they have been? Lets find out

Consoles, what could they have been and should they have been? Lets find out

i know we're sick of discussing the fucking ps4 pro

So heres something a little different

How would the PS3 Pro or PS2 pro have looked and what would its specs have been if it had been made?

Ill go first

>PS3 Pro
Released January 2009: Price 599usd
>16APUs
>2gb of shared ddr2 ram
>8800 GTX Downclocked
>???

Might as well do one for the 360 Pro
Released 2008: Price 499usd
>6 core xenon
>2gb of DDR2 ram
>4870gpu
>????

Bamp really nobody?

Your whole post reeks of ignorance
>16APUs
you don't know what an apu is do you?

PS3 pro and PS2 pro couldn't happen because there wasn't a breakthrough in the graphics tech used in those consoles midcycle. PS4 is the only console where it would make sense to do a midcycle renew.

>88gtx
>not a breakthrough for its time
Common man humor me ffs

It really is not a breakthrough compared to what came right before it.

We just recently went from 28nm to 14nm ffs. Thats way beyond anything gtx8800 did back then. Yes it was the most powerful card but that wasn't the graphics tech in use by the consoles at the time so it wouldn't make sense to change the architecture to that degree.

>Micro dick, Peasant Station and Nintendo drop consoles and move into pre-built PC manufacture.

>Developers can focus on quality games rather than making 3 different builds to work on the shittest possible ancient hardware.

>The industry is saved.

Instead you get a cuckstation 4.1 and a no-games edition shitbox.

Hopefully Nintendo doesn't fuck up their new hardware, again.

Total not biased chart made by Nvidia a while ago.

Im probably wrong because i dont care to know a ton about console hardware but
Didnt most console before now use fairly specialized hardware. So it wouldnt make sense for "just a faster/better" version of it to come out. Like ATI would specially design a gpu to match the feature set requested by nintendo.
Where now ps4 and xbone just use fairly standard chipsets, so its not much to manufacture new hardware using updated chips.

Interesting, I never knew PC performance regressed in mid 2010.

The fuck is that. a Super VCR player?

The fuck

sadly i remember this graph

>i know we're

never speak for me or my wifes son again

Sad part is that its not even accurate because the PS3 is listed to be the same as xbox 360 which had higher GPU flops than the PS3.
PS3 ofc had way better hardware capable of way better graphics but this just goes to show bias.
Also howcome console vr graphics look at least as good if not way better than typical PC vr graphics?

well yes but now the hardware is still special in a sense it

>Shares memory between the apu and gpu
>single board with gpu and apu intergrated into the same die
>Custom OS

But the actual CPU itself is off the shelf based but it is custom in the sense you can find anything like it outside of the gen 8 consoles

the gpu's on the other hand are completely off the shelf

>Micro dick, Peasant Station and Nintendo drop consoles and move into pre-built PC manufacture.
spotted the nintoddler

>16APUs
>6 core xenon

OP, you're fucking stupid.

i dont you the other 8 posters in this thread coming up with any alternatives

Let's me play this one then.
>PS2 if it was based on PS1 philosophy instead of a copypaste of everything wrong with the N64

>A 200-300ish Mhz MIPS CPU
>Powerful specialized T&L coprocessor able to push a fuckton of triangles per second, possibly without bottlenecking the main CPU
>Very, VERY easy to use GPU that offloads several operations that are done by software or mixed, like stencil buffer shadow casting
>sound processor so good they would have to cripple it on the later revisions because professionals would use it instead of the 10k sound equipments
>dedicated mpeg 2 video chip is still there
>as its the DVD drive

It probably would closely ressemble a gamecube, except with more geometry onscreen because they would not skimp heavily on the memory.

Yeah i was thinking about this

What i'd do is overclock the lil 128bit cpu to around 400-500mhz+ Wii style
Put a Ati 9600 in there

PS2 pro?
You're better off just sticking another EE on it and doubling the "fast as fuck" cache ram thing.

damn its been so long since ive even used a real one i dont even remember the specs

It's a weird system.

EVERYONE copied the PS1.. except sony.
Geforce, Radeon, all inspired on the "Full 3D hardware" approach of the PS1.

>full 3d
>ps1
wew more like full warped 3d

Because it's a shitty thread

The PS2 essentially copied the N64, and much like N64 visuals, PS2 visuals have aged a lot worse than its contemporaries like the Xbox and GameCube. Even Dreamcast games aged better as it was essentially a beefed up 5th gen system.

Yes, it had no perspective correction, so it was WARPED AS FUCK.
But let me put in perspective.
The PS1 CPU is around the tier of a 486 DX33.
Can you even start to imagine a 486 DX33 running let's say tekken 3?

what because im not endlessly shitting on a pointless console that should not exist?

>Oh you know that stupid led bar that everyone hates

>LETS ADD ANOTHER ONE

Jesus i ran a 386 then a 486 for years

Thats insane

Well, if your 386 didn't needed to perform T&L, triangle Z-ordering, actual triangle rastering or even copying data to and from the video memory/texture cache, it would handle 3D games as well as a PS1.

Where sony wizzards?

Naughty dog used to be so good at wizardry and then the ps4 of all things stumped them haha

PS4 have too much memory.
The ideal naughty dog arena is a console constrained hard by the memory but with a fast enough drive.
They're the absolute masters of data streaming, being able to do bullshit like running high resolution along with a insane level of detail by very fucking carefully only allowing the data you need and not a single bit more.
On the pic related, the "shared bitmap" of the PS1 memory while running crash bandicoot.
PS1 use this weirdass format where EVERYTHING bitmap is on this bigass shared bitmap, including frame buffer etc..
Those two pictures are needed to draw the screen, and well, they have a bigger than the usual resolution, thus reducing the space available for textures.

This is how a regular PS1 resolution game looks in comparison.

>$1200 worth of consoles right there
>none of them can do what a $900 computer can
>nor do they collectively have anything approaching a fraction of the games library
>plus every singe one has an expiry date

SOLID INVESTMENT

glad this pic triggered a fellow pccuck