Computer upgrade thread

So, I just got these parts in for my latest upgrade. Pretty decent stuff and it only took me a month of freelance to earn enough.

What are you assholes upgrading to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tPTygL
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nothing for a good while because i live in brazil and i have to justify an expensive upgrade from 4690/970 since its running okay for now

good luck kiddo. Good luck.

i miss going ultra on all games user

I should be able to do that for a while, I don't even plan on going 4K anytime soon.
I only do 1080p

also i'd love to buy a 144hz monitor but they're all 500 usd or more, so i need to save UP

I've been meaning to buy two new monitors but don't know much about em.

waiting for 1080ti most likely

Betraying my people and upgrading from a 290 to a 1070.

>he fell for the i7 for gaming meme

I'm not upgrading from 1080p and 60Hz/60FPS any time soon. 1440p and 4k do look better, but I cannot afford a new GPU AND a new display yet.

Will a GTX1060 be adequate or should I go with a GTX1070 for more juice?

No SSD?

I got it for video editing as well, I know it's good so I'm fine.

>He fell for the i7 meme
lmaoing @ ur life

It's an upgrade, already have an SSD.

If you aren't picky about the panel I love my ASUS VG248QE. Check it out.

Making dank memes in mspaint won't require a i7, lad.

someone just suggested the Acer XB270HU to me but I shall check out that one too.

Scan? More like scam hope you don't have to RMA anything.

Had to get a new PSU so I got EVGA GS 650

I also got the 1070, upgrading my ram from shitty 8GB 1333 to 16GB 1866, and I got a sexy Cryorig H7

mirin dat sweet spot 3k mhz ddr4

Nope but doing freelance editing for Bethesda and Nintendo requires a good computer when filming and editing 4K/Raw footage :)

No wonder their games always look like shit

Using a phenom ii 965 right now should I go with an i5 or wait for zen?

I have the XB271HK. It's amazing. 144hz and IPS. Take a look if you have the money.

Nothing for now cause 980Ti to 1080 isn't really worth it.

I'm looking for monitors around the 20" to 24" area but still, nice monitor indeed.

This is a serious question and it's the only time I've considered a second choice but;

Should I go for a PS4 or parts?

What I need is a GPU, CPU, mobo and 99% a cooler, coming up at least 450€ and that's still considered mid-tier. But at the same time I really want some of the exclusives. What do?

My pcie ssd died on me and I'm looking to buy a SATA ssd now. Should I reinstall windows 10 on it? I don't want to go there again because it's a fucking hassle. Is installing by games on it enough to notice a boost in loading times and such?

I have Windows 7 Pro but updated to Windows 10 once it became free and stuff but since I upgraded my MOBO, I wiped all my hard-drives and so on.
So just stick on Windows 7, you'll be fine.

here. I went for U3415W 3440x1440 meme at USD $700 when I was shopping for monitor instead because office productivity and I didn't have the card to drive anything at 4K.

I don't like the idea of SLI to do 60FPS at 4K. My next planned upgrade is to see what AMD Vega cards may do, and maybe even wait till Volta. Display wise, LG's 38UC99-W is making me conclude that we will be getting 3840x1600 ultrawide very soon (that screen is about 74% of 4K 3840 x 2160).

What resolution is your display?

waiting for the gtx 11 series because 1080s are garbage now

Upgrading from 750 ti to either RX480 or GTX1060, depending which is cheaper after I finish college at the end of the year. Going to watch what AMD Zen is like on release, and might think about upgrading from Athlon 860k. Also selling my TV and puny monitor for 2 identical monitors.

1920x1080 and I don't really care about anything bigger or 4k. Certainly can't afford it, at least.

See what Zen is like first

Here's what I'd do to really save money.
1. Get a used toaster with i5 2500k/i7 2600k
2. Stick RX 480/GTX 1060 in

You should be able to manage this on budget.

Just wait for Zen.

Zen will not be able to touch the high end intel CPUs, hardly worth waiting.

Why do some PCfags treat their PCs like the most important accomplishment in their lives?

Nobody here is doing that though, were just talking about parts and monitors you inflammatory faggot.

I want a 1080 but I think I'll wait for the 1100 series and end up getting a 1170.

Apart from that I should be good on upgrades for a while.

Ηm, never actually crossed my mind to buy a used one and I'm a big seconhandfag. Can the 2600k keep up in the future or will I have to get a newer one in a year?

recommend me a good 144hz 1080p monitor Cred Forums
currently got the 970 meme card
but my monitor is from like 2010

Zen is a few months off. I'd say wait since if Zen does deliver, you might grab one cheaper than an i5 or have the i5 prices drop down.

CPUs aren't like graphics cards and do not need replacing often. But it depends on what settings you are comfortable with.

1. pcie lane will only saturate if you were to plug a Pascal Titan into a x16 pcie 2.0. Anything less than that won't be affected.
2. 2600k vs Skylake 6700k in gaming is not drastic. In 1080p about 9% difference, 5% in 1440p.

Well I'd really like to run High on most recent games but I can settle for medium as long as it runs at 60fps.

You should have went with sansonic for PSU since you can get an 8 year warranty.

>call it an "upgrade"
>he's basically building a new PC

Just because you are keeping the old case, doesn't mean it's the same PC.

>all that high-end shit
>16GB of RAM
why? RAM is super fucking cheap, I just put 32GB in my rig for like $100.

When is AMD zen releasing?

Please. The only time that a 2600k would fall behind is at 144fps@1080p, largely because the CPU becomes the bottleneck. The 2600k is not the bottleneck at higher resolution.

>What are you assholes upgrading to?

A less expensive and more fulfilling hobby.

2X8GB is more than enough by and large. I would buck up and go with 36 if I were doing graphics though.

youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I

His tests are done in 1080p.

is it not? What part constitutes "PC"? Is it the CPU? The motherboard? The case? If I keep the same motherboard, RAM, and GPU but buy a new CPU, is it still the same PC? What if I keep the CPU, GPU, Motherboard, and case, but change the RAM? Is that the same PC still? What about things like hard drives/SSDs? If I go from 1 SSD and 1 HDD to 2x SSD and 3x HDD, is it the same PC?

Welp, guess who's not gonna play Bloodborne anytime soon, again. Also, kek at FO4 bottlenecking below 60fps

My motherboard has socket only for AMD athlon series CPUs. Are they really bad or is it just AMD memes?

I mostly play vidya but do some video editing occasionally, and I just bumped my system up from 16GB 1600 to 32GB 1866 because it cost less for 32GB of the faster RAM than what I paid for the 16GB a year ago. RAM prices are fucking crazy how they fluctuate.

Building my first pc, thoughts? Budget is 850€

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.49 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master Force 500 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)

>Play Bloodborne anytime soon
Serious question. Is Bloodborne that much better than Dark Souls 3?

Get another stick of RAM. I wouldn't just stay with 1x8GB nowadays.
>GTX 1060
It's quite hard to choose between that card and the RX 480. RX 480 is proven to be damn good in DX12 games or with Vulkan API. Glad that you aren't going for the 3GB ver of the 1060.

Bloodborne felt more like its own thing like DS1 and Demon's Souls before. DS2 and 3 are more derivative which sort of hinders the experience as they just try to live through the glory of their predecessors.

>What are you assholes upgrading to?

To PS4 PRO instead of buying a new PC.

>Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Bronze
Get at least Gold. It's worth paying a little more for better efficiency.

Oh, I'll get more RAM, I just really want to stick under 850€. I'll just buy more when I need it.

I couldn't make myself get a PS4 because Bloodborne was the only game that I thought was interesting. I was thinking of PS4 since I play Nep, but V-II available on PC so I didn't bother.

(I have a DS4 controller at that, ended up using Elite xbox controller to play Nep though)

what does a model racing car have to do with a pc build

Your only storage is a 240gb SSD? If that enough for you, I guess thats fine, but Id just get a 1Tb HDD instead. If you must have the SSD, slap your OS on it and get a HDD for your other needs. Otherwise things look fine. Cooler seems excessive imo, but I am a man of simple needs.

The reason why you want to buy 2 matching sticks as a set is to minimize any ram timing issues if you want to OC. You want the ram to run at the same timing and speed and to not limit you when you OC.

Athlone II x4 is drill good.

Phenom II x4 is better.
Zen is almost here.

DON'T ASK ME MOTHERFUCKER I'M THE POORFAG WITHOUT A PS4

Got a 1440p monitor and gtx 1060.

pretty nice.

>1440p
>1060
I'd go for 1070 at that resolution instead.

Yeah, I was planning on just buying the same one.

>I couldn't make myself get a PS4 because Bloodborne was the only game that I thought was interesting.
Yeah, me too. I just borrowed my friend's PS4 and played through Bloodborne. Now that more games are coming out I'll probably get one soon

so Cred Forums, I have a dilemma. I currently have a 144hz 1080p monitor and a 60hz 1080p monitor. I like having both screens with the same resolution mostly because I'm fucking crazy and feel like the whole system runs better when both screens are the same, but I'm also curious about 1440p. Should I ditch the 60hz 1080p screen and get a 1440p to replace it?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'll take 500GB internal ans 3TB external from my old pc.

forgot to mention I have a 980 driving the screens

Nope. Everything I play runs flawlessly maxed out.

Even Witcher 3 runs 55-60fps with only AA and AO off.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tPTygL

Those prices you posted are in dollar

I was a multi-monitor person who's now using 21:9 3440x1440 meme. A 980 cannot do 144Hz at 1440p. However, it's still worthwhile to get a 1440p with G-sync/Freesync.

not looking for a 144hz 1440p, just 60hz. I have 144hz taken care of on one 1080 screen already.

Palm, claw, or fingertip for FPS gaming?

So my setup is quickly becoming outdated. My CPU nearly explodes with high end games, reaching into 95-99% usage on Task Manager, I know for sure I need to update my GPU, but what else should I look into upgrading?
>CPU: i5 4670 @ 3.40 GHz
>Ram: 8.00 Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
>Motherboard: ASUS H87M-E
>GPU: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
>SSD: 200 GB
>HDD: 3 TB

How'd I do?

Updating cpu will mean updating mobo which will mean getting ddr4 ram

You're gonna get a whole new system at this point.

>i7 2600/r9 390 nitro/ssd/1440p 144hz monitor

I am not upgrading anytime soon, 45-60 fps is enough for me considering the resolution, well unless vega is as fast as titan x but come on it is not possible.

Your CPU is fine. GPU, ram, and Mobo all need to be replaced.

Thanks for the advice. What CPU would you recommend for pretty much just gaming?

what graphics cards should i be looking at if i want to get 144hz 1440p on max

i5 if you really can't spare or save up for i7. Now is the worst time to get a cpu though, wait for skylake refresh if you really need a new one.

well, considering titan x can't do that you should wait for two more generations but if 110-130 fps is enough then 1080ti next year

1080 at the very least. You want SLI setup with 1080 or Pitan X.

>on max
fuck. that wouldn't do it. You won't hit that consistent 144fps even in sli.

Not him, but does that mean someone should just wait next year then before building a new pc since no pc can do 1440p/144hz?

do 24" 1440p monitors exist? I don't want a screen any bigger than that, and looking on Microcenter's site all they have is 27" and above.

>1080
>red
>led cooler
>rgb mobo
Cringe thread?

I'd wait.

You facking dingo, the CPU is fine. If anything, high CPU usage is good as it means the games are actually utilising all the cores/threads. Of course, it could also mean you're an illiterate dodo with a load of bloat on your OS.

Get a another RAM DIMM for dual-channel and upgrade that pizza shit 1.5GB GTX 660.

terhe are some, search AOCs i think they had one or two or was it Iyama
I remember 24'' 1440 being announced but do not remember brand

pascal is a dud
kabylake is skylake without bugs =no performance gain
zen in 2017 and maybe bad or good who knows
no word on vega
144hz monitors getting better i'd wait for next generation of thsoe

basically worst time to upgrade if you already have semi decent pc
too many no gains generations in one year
i'd wait for real architectural change

>tfw just upgraded from an 8350 to a 6700k

You will be forced to use Win10 starting with Kaby Lake.

I've been using it for a while so that's no problem for me.

tftmonitors has a lot of info on everything you need to know.
But in short:
You want one IPS and one TN monitor with at least one having GY-sync, or even both. You dont want Pulse-widh modulation. If you have money to burn get a more expensive panel with true 8-bit. Though some people say they don't notice the difference, i am worried about health concerns.
You want it to be fast, but good quality. Check any new monitor if it has pixel errors by looking at RGB pictures on google.
There is also a standard for mounting monitors, which not every monitor meets. Forgot the name though.

PWM can cause headaches, but last I checked people move away from it. Many people do not seem to notice it, I do get severe eye-strains. I doubt its healthy either way. It often activates a lower brightness levels.

I can attest to PWM being headache inducing. My older Dell 3008WFP gave me major eye strain due to PWM.

you also have to not go outside for fear of being shot in the face for no reason. ahh brazil....

I like how Rio Olympic only made the world more afraid of visiting Brazil.

What if I have an 8 year old computer? Should I still wait?

>buy 1080
>doesn't fit in case
>now have to wait for bigger case

You are used to using a potato at any rate.

YouTube videos of Skyrim are not exactly freelance, user.

So I created this thread however many hours ago and it's still going on, damn. By the way guy's, this PC is fun.

Is there a Cred Forums approved list of current motherboard/CPUs? Need to upgrade mine soon.

>guy's
you are doing this on purpose

Maybe I am.