Is anyone else kind of hyped that the NX might use carts again?

Is anyone else kind of hyped that the NX might use carts again?
Personally, I'm looking forward to the possibility of cool coloured carts for certain games like we used to get. It doesn't really make a huge difference, but its a nice little touch.

Except only ORAS were colored, none of those are real.

Isn't the black and white one real too?

BW cartridges were black instead of grey, so one of them is definitely real.

No, white is also black. All Pokemon Ds games are solid black instead of grey, HGSS, Plat and BW2 are the same.

ORAS is not colored.

Yeah I think cartridges are cool. I hope it's a home console so the cartridges can be big like n64

Not to mention they'd be more durable than fragile discs

it did in some regions, we got fucked on that end

The game boy advanced cartridges were colored sometimes, like emerald sapphire and ruby were all translucent and colored like ORAS is, no clue why they stopped.

Cartridges are better than CDs, and I would love it. Not only the loading times are faster, but with the technology we have, it's possible to solve the flaw and make the space bigger.

It cost them more money to manufacture colors other than the generic pale grey the rest of the systems games are. It's up to the region to include little extras. Nintendo of America are jew as fuck.

>Is anyone else kind of hyped that the NX might use carts again?
Source?

Even if its true that's retarded even for post-2012 Nintendo

>that's retarded
Honestly, switching to CDs was retarded

Carts were always better for everything but cutscenes, and these days with how cheap flash storage is, there is absolutely no reason for us to still use CDs. The only one that benefits from discs instead of carts are the publishers since discs are dirt fucking cheap. Carts actually have a bit of a cost associated with manufacturing, which is why everyone abandoned them.

What if they used cards?

Those are a e s t h e t i c as fuck.

Those look cool, but they're still cartridges.

Why kind of cart should NX use?

Yes, the NTR-031 is noticeably darker than the NTR-005.
I think that has something to do with the integrated IR.

Super or Fami.

Lightweight, good reason to own, hard to lose, and not a bitch to carry with you from place to place.

Doesn't matter. It's going to be a failure regardless.

Not very witty are you?

>solid state hard discs its the most retarded idea ever.

Classic game boy carts are best carts.
If they have to go smaller for portability reasons (which is reasonable), they should either:
1. use regular SD cards, or
2. make something of comparable size but give it better hand feel than the 3/DS carts, which felt terrible

Weren't only the boxes colored, and the cartridges stayed white?

>NTR
Always new Nintendo employees were a bunch of cucks.

fond memories of the era where games would be more expensive than others because there was more hardware inside the cart.

Cartridges are nice to have but pointless at a business perspective. They cost more per GB than discs, storage is limited unless you want to pay more for your games, and the faster load times isnt a good selling point since games these days install game data directly to the hard drive or SSD.

>and the faster load times isnt a good selling point since games these days install game data directly to the hard drive or SSD.
most games are huge and quickly fill HDDs.

Also, you're a customer, not a shareholder, it shouldn't matter to you what saves the publisher the most money. We're paying $92 after taxes for new games in Canada, it would be nice if I at least knew some of that $100 was going towards the actual hardware of the game

the localized version of those were pretty dull looking in comparison, hudson did EVERYTHING wrong when handling the turbo grafx 16.

Good thing we live in a age where you can buy a 4TB HDD for around $150 and you can stick it inside your console or PC. That should be good for around 75+ 50GB game size installations.

or, publishers can put games on a storage device that isn't hot garbage

If we're talking about Nintendo games here, they are all mostly small. Splatoon for example can fit on a GameCube disc. One of Wii Us biggest games Xenoblade X is less than the size of one single layer bluray.

Yeah I'm excited about the NX using carts as it only takes somebody finding a vulnerability in one to open the console up to having flash carts used on it.

Aside from that not particularly as they'll likely be limited to about 35 Gbs which isn't enough for many modern games. Another worry is that the NX might have a tiny hard-drive like the Wii U which in itself would be a mistake as it'd take away developers ability to bypass the size limitation and allow for dlc expansions

Xenoblade still had some serious loadtimes once in a while. It would have been nice to play that game on a SSD/cart instead.

>as they'll likely be limited to about 35 Gbs
Why? I just bought a USB 3.1 thumbdrive with over 150 GB of space for like $30 a few months ago, I'm sure Nintendo could strike a deal with a flash memory manufacturer and get carts with relatively large storage spaces for a cheap enough price that it wouldn't impact the cost of games.

The load times are bad partially because Wii U has shit hardware. It can't afford to cache data when it has less RAM than my PC from 2009

The most exciting thing about the NX using carts is that at least one body in the industry is pushing for disc media to be obsolete. The sooner the better I say.

Disc media should have been left behind ages ago honestly speaking. It just is not practical any more, it just does not meet the requirements physical media should.
The only reason we still use disc media at all is because it's cheap. But the fact that disc media simply doesn't fulfil the requirements still holds true. There are good reasons for why both the XB1 and PS4 demand that you install the disc media onto the HDD before use. In short, the industry is basically shying away from physical media altogether due to how disc media is not up to scratch, yet still cling to disc media to an extent due to it being cheap.

From a business perspective I am not entirely sure how feasible cartridges are versus disc media. But from a consumer perspective it is a very welcome change, because with disc media one might as well not even bother with physical media at all. It'd be nice for physical media to actually fill a practical purpose again, instead of just filling space as a medium for retailer distribution.

I'm hyped for a new card to pirate with.

He's right though.

The GB carts have the best size/weight ratio. They just feel great when you are holding them.

Even if Nintendo could strike a deal with flash memory manufacturers, the cost amount of flash memory compared to discs per GB makes cartridges a bad decision unless NX is aiming for form factor (making a handheld) and the size per GB on catridges is small like 3DS.

i think the famicom size is good since itll have more bytes to use but not be too big like n64/snes

Because anything over 35Gbs would be much more expensive then blu-rays to manufacture.

They aren't likely to be using SD cards or thumb-drive dongles, they'll probably use the same kind of carts found in hardware like the 3ds, flash memory integrated onto a board because its actually cheap.... depending on the capacity of those flash chips at least.

SNES because they have fucking end labels. That's a god sent if you're a collector or just have you games on a shelf.

I miss HuCards.

I'd rather they drop physical media entirely and go digital only so consumers can embrace the savings like they do on PC.

> he doesn't have multiple PC engines and a hucard collection

>digital meme
No thanks.

I think they can't afford to do that just yet because retailers sell consoles at a loss and would drop them if they didn't have anything else to sell in addition to that.

Flashcart for nx will be out less than 3 months after release.

Its really mindboggling that Nintendo doesnt see this coming.

>carts

Can we stop it with this meme already? If anything it'll be cards, like the 3DS uses.

There's a difference between "cartridge" and "card". You don't call it "SD cart".

SD Cards are a type of cartridge

Since NX is a home console, there's no reason to have such small cards.

If NX is a home console it will most likely use discs. Cartridges are for handhelds.

What is the difference ?
Both are a pcb inside of plastic

>We can store several gigabytes on these small chips that cost very little to produce, since we already have the production system in place from our handheld line.

>OR we could spend a ton extra to mold ten times as much plastic and print boards ten times bigger just to house the same tiny flash memory chip, also necessitating the console to be much bigger to accept the giant cartridges.

>Obviously, option B is the best choice! Brilliant!

>If NX is a home console it will most likely use discs. Cartridges are for handhelds.
This has only been true for the last few gens.
Its not as if Carts were abandoned because they were obsolete, they were abandoned because it saved publishers money.

So we really think Nintendo are going to spend money making the Carts high speed?

If the Vita is anything to go by the speeds will be comparable to a high end SD card which is still roughly 1x BD read speeds (albeit with the advantages of instant seek times).

GalGun is a Vita game running Unreal Engine and the load times are shit.

I'd like them to go back to drawing the box art for muh childhood nostalgia. They've stopped now but the drawings were often the best bit

Sounds like you're just hyped for it because of nostalgia and not the actual pros and cons of it.

>CDs

It's not the 90s anymore though

SSDs are way too high-tech for Nintendo.

>Vita cards were in between Class 4 and Class 6 MicroSD cards in speed

How awful.

>digital only nintendo system
Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

>I'd like them to go back to drawing the box art

What

Not him but I believe the key difference is that data stored on carts can be directly addressed rather than being loaded in to memory via a file system.

It's been a long time since that's been possible because of the growth of storage space.

Carts would be ideal if NX is both handheld and home console (as separated systems, not hybrid shit)
>put cart inside handheld NX
>play on the go
>put cart inside home console NX
>cart acts as DRM like discs do now for the other consoles, while the game gets downloaded and installed on the console's hard drive
No speed advantages but you can use the same cart both home and on the go.

Super Mario Land 2? Everything pre N64? Are you dense?

Why assume that the NX will be any better given that Sony put money into their Hardware and Nintendo go maximum jew.

Heck, there's even talk that yet again Nintendo have abandoned a top end NVidia chip in favour of a cheaper chinese piece of crap.

Can't wait for more characters being turned into drag queens.

>Heck, there's even talk
stopped reading there

third party games still draw art on their box.

but nintendo doesn't have third party games so...

I've been waiting several years for someone to make that kind of joke.

You've made my day, to an extent. I don't know if thanking you would be appropriate, but I finally got what I expected.

Same shit happened with 3DS. Rumours for months it would be using Tegra 1, right before unveiling rumours came out saying they'd dropped NVidia. 3DS unveiled and it's a piece of shit graphics chip with fixed shaders.

I still don't get what you're saying.

I mean, starting with the GC they started to use more renders.

But I guess I get what you mean. Though the N64 also had drawn box arts

There isn't really a particular key difference, just that the modern, slim cartridges are officially referred to as "cards" by every manufacturer on the market (SD Card, CompactFlash Card, Game Card, Vita Card, Memory Card, etc.). And I believe this terminology is important to denote the difference between the ancient large ones and the modern slim ones.

Since very few people are making the distinction between carts and cards, we get retards who come into NX discussions going "WOW IT'S GONNA BE SO COOL TO HAVE GIANT CARTS ON NX AGAIN JUST LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS" since everyone (including dumb "journalists") has been saying "cart" instead of "card". Cartridges as we know them are not going to return. That is ridiculous. If anything, NX will use cards.

>the NX might use carts again?
Oh, I didn't realize the NX was previously released before now and used CDs.

Seriously though, colored/transparent carts are awesome.

Though that joke has been made since NTR is a thing
Are you living in the woods or something like that?

I'm still mad about the piss-shaded one we got in the US. Even Europe got the full-color cover.

I wish they would drop this stupid "muh NES golden cart nostalgia" meme and just give us the full-color cover arts like Japan has always gotten.

I want it to be big like n64. Have that Packaged version feel heavy again. Smallest I want maybe Game Boy, but not Advance and below

Why does it have ir in the first place?

I hope so, they are much easier to store and handle. And cooler.

see

Because the original DS line didn't have an IR port. It was originally done to communicate with low-power IR-based accessories, such as the DS Activity Meter and PokeWalker.

Black/White Versions didn't really NEED it; I think they just carried it over from HeartGold/SoulSilver since they were already producing them. Unlike Personal Trainer: Walking and HG/SS which used their IR to communicate with an accessory, B/W/B2/W2 only used it to communicate with other copies of the games.