Choose two, explain why, call each other fags

choose two, explain why, call each other fags
challenge mode: think of and post a game that has all 3

Gameplay and story
Graphics don't matter

This 100%
Would rather have ps2 graphics than shit gameplay and story

Gameplay and story.

Even the shittiest graphics will grow on you if the game is good.

Gameplay and Graphics.

fpbp.
Good gameplay and story is all that is needed for a good game.
First few generations of consoles are prime examples

Graphics affect the gameplay you dummies, with things like better animations and better physics.

I need examples of games that have
>Good gameplay and story but bad graphics
>Good graphics and story but bad gameplay
>Good graphics and gameplay but bad story

impossible since all three are necessary

story and graphics

By graphics do you also mean art?
Because Okami has "PS2 graphics", it doesn't mean anything.

Tired Gamer here.

I cant get into anything anymore. Specially games with ridiculously long tutorials or introduction to the story.

I just wanna get in and start enjoying the game already so its gameplay + graphics for me

>First few generations of consoles are prime examples

Yeah remember the story of those Atari games

>choose two
Fuck you, I choose gameplay. Everything else is optional. Good to have it but optional.

>any indie game
>telltale games
>CS:GO

Nier, if you play it as a power trip instead of an actual ARPG
Planescape: Torment
Ninja Gaiden

All three are necessary in moderation. The problem is that many games focus on one aspect at the expense of the rest.

I was more referring to NES and SNES. Neither by today's standard (or even when compared to others from that era) had exceptional graphics

>Game has literally no graphics
>This affects gameplay
>Game has literally no story
>This does not affect gameplay

op here,
for purposes of arguing, crawl has bad graphics, even though it has good style

Can I pick Gameplay twice?

>think of and post a game that has all 3
MGS 2
MGS 3
MGS GZ
Witcher 3

Add NMS to that list too while you're at it.

Music > Graphics

Why would I, it has bad graphics

Then fuck off. Graphics alone is too narrow compared to "story" and "gameplay". This thread blows.

i was going to make it music/graphics, but it felt too contrived and well thought-out for a Cred Forums post

Gameplay + graphics. Most games with "good" stories are still pretty much like bad movies, so why bother? There are exceptions, of course. I play games because of their gameplay and graphics can potentially add a lot. For story, I'd rather read a book or watch a good film instead.

>I don't know how physics work in video games

Graphics have nothing to do with physics. Even the original Super Mario had physics and they worked flawlessly.

>not muting and making your own soundtrack

yet all of these people choosing graphics
really makes you think huh?

I wouldn't say story is important to all games. CSGO, for example, benefits from no story.
Story affects gameplay in the way that a good and engaging story makes the gameplay feel like it has more weight and could make it for example more tense.

>Telltale
>Good graphics

Pick one

>Is it multiplayer?
Gameplay and graphics

>Is it singleplayer?
Gameplay and story

There you have.

This

Good graphics doesn't mean realistic. Tales From the Borderlands has pretty neat art direction for the most part, and GoT could look pretty nice in its oil-painting aesthetic when they didn't fuck it up, which they mostly did.

>the secret world
your move

Gameplay>all

People will say story and gameplay until they realize that they are talking about a game that doesn't even have a UI. Then they'll shift and want it to look pretty. Then they'll complain the story isn't good when the gameplay is boring trash they'll complain about that too.

Art direction =/= graphics

You can have both, sure, but they're two different things thought separately

2016 glad I dont have to choose between only 2 anymore, PC Master Race!!!

Gameplay and graphics
>Gameplay makes the game fun
>Graphics make the the game amazing (and if done correctly, can affect gameplay too)
>Story is just there to keep your attention (if the game really was fun, that wouldn't be necessary, though)
You are all faggots
Half Life 2 has all 3

> a multiplayer fps is a good example of a game not needing a story
don't be a fucking mong, I love cs but you're an idiot.
Why not use a game like Dark Messiah, a game with amazing mechanics, great graphics and physics for the time, and a shit story.

Story and/or gameplay can make up for other two but not other way around.
Steambot Chronicles & MGS 3 are prime examples of all 3 done right SC through amazing gameplay and lots of great side stories/lore with graphics that are stylized enough to be timeless. MGS 3 is just perfect combinatoin of gameplay and good graphics for its time with decent story

>Story affects gameplay in the way that a good and engaging story makes the gameplay feel like it has more weight and could make it for example more tense
Are you trying to be stupid?

Who said minimum graphics would be PS2?

good, you've established that Cred Forums will always complain. Enjoying your first day?

Game with all 3: Wind Waker

Stories in multiplayer games were a mistake

Here.

>W3
>graphics
you
are
a
faggot

>ever choosing anything over gameplay
why? what would make someone want to play a beautiful game with a great plot that's insanely boring? at that point, watch a fucking movie.

Gameplay and graphics, of course.

Unless I can double up on gameplay, in which case I choose that.

>one of these threads again

You can't just choose two because all three can help make the game more enjoyable.

Sure you don't need phenomenal graphics and story to have a good game but a truly amazing game needs to have all three to a certain degree.

Also good Music.

Only very niche games don't at least try and cater to all three. If it's missing one, it's obviously up to the other two to make up for that.

>SNES didn't have exceptional graphics

Nigga are you high

What exactly does something like "Story" entail. Is it like a jRPG with a long structured book-like story, is does stuff like setting apply to that? Dwarf Fortress has almost no graphics except the bare minimum to let you know what's going on, but it's got details of setting and history that enhance the game and help you get immersed.

Generally speaking I would say gameplay and story are the most important things to a game.

What are visual novels ?

your argument doesn't make any fucking sense

Why should CSGO have a story? Whenever I play CS I just want to play with some friends and have a good time after a long day, not watch some meaningless cutscenes or listen to some shitty dialogue. How would story add to my enjoyment at all? It's perfectly fine as it is, devoid of ANY story. And notice I said any, not bad. As in CS doesn't have a bad story, it lacks one.

>W3
>bad graphics
I thought this meme ended year and a half ago

Gameplay and graphics.

>Toriyama is good
>Chrono Trigger is pretty
I want this meme to cease

As someone who exclusively plays NetHack and other roguelikes, I'll just pick gameplay twice.

>TW3
>Gameplay

Did you remember to play on hardest difficulty and turn off UI and witcher senses?

>People still complaining about TW3's downgrade
>Current gen consoles can barely handle it as it is

I don't know about you but when I was a kid and played the first Halo during those last levels when I really felt like I was humanity's last hope and things were falling apart I felt a lot more tense than I would have if there weren't any story.

>What is dwarf fortress
>What is minecraft

Graphics are unnecessary (see Dwarf Fortress, one of the best games of all time and almost no graphics) and also a stupid to measure a gane's worth with because all older games have worse graphics than newer ones (ideally).

Gameplay and especially story are timeless.
Also you can't have fun with good graphics alone.
A good story can forgive shitty graphics and bad gameplay.
Good gameplay can absolutely forgive bad graphics and no story (see DF or some multi player games)
But a game with good graphics and bad gameplay and ahit/no story will always be a shit video game.

>Also good Music.
You know when I was younger I didn't feel like I paid a lot of attention to music, but recently a good soundtrack is something I pay a lot of attention to when choosing a game. Some great music winding up as the boss battle kicks into overdrive adds a lot to how a fight feels compared to just visuals or gameplay alone.

This. Metal Gear Rising wouldn't have been anywhere near as entertaining as it was without the ost

>story heavy game cons
Can drag for too long until it gets good; overall plot/ending could be dissapointing.

>graphics heavy game cons

May drop below 60 fps because of lazy devs; no matter how beautiful the game looks at first glance, the minimal details will always stand out (grass and floor, most commonly).

>Gameplay heavy game cons

Nothing comes to my mind, really...

Modern AAA only caters to Story and Graphics (Witcher 3 is the prime example) and it seems to work.

Yours neither. Care to explain?

Yes you can, now go play NetHack, aurora, programming based games, etc.

most NES and SNES games don't have stories and the ones that do are mostly forgettable

Did you remember not to play shit games?

Golly I guess I didn't, what would you recommend?

>Good gameplay and story but bad graphics
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
>Good graphics and story but bad gameplay
Planescape Torment
Alan Wake
>Good graphics and gameplay but bad story
Crysis
MGSV
>LEEEL ZOMG KEK ECKSDEE MGSV >>>>>(MEME ARROWS) >>>>>GRAFFIXX LOOLLLLLLLL
Also most video games go into this category.

>gameplay is not simply the effectiveness of a game's ability to use effective visual and audio reinforcement
Wew lad

I did, and got the trophy to prove it. It's insanely boring to spam Quen and roll every second because the bosses hit 1/4 of your HP and take 50 hits to die. I did NG+ in normal difficulty to get gwent cards and it was much better

A good choice of music can made from some great atmosphere. And can make a grand situation feel even grander.
>Mfw playing through Metroid Zero Mission and the Brinstar Theme kicks in when I get my suit back
Made me feel like a god.

Gameplay = Story >>> Graphics

>implying tw3 are bad shitposters even play games aside from the occasional weeb VN to masturbate to

You're not wrong.

I believe Max Payne has all three
you are free to contest that claim

What does it have graphics-wise?

The original Max Payne had Max as a good character, but he was in a world that was so goofy it didn't match is demeanor.

I can see right through your deception, Jellyfish.

It's much harder to come up with a novel gameplay concept than it is to hire a hack writer to write some shlock that'd be rejected on the film and book medium within a second or make some shiny boring graphics.

Gameplay, story and music.
Good gameplay is obviously important for video games. Good story and lore will keep you interested even after you beat the game (as well as give topics to talk about with your friends). Good graphics are an improvement but not necessity in most cases imo.
Some of my favourite games (not all of them fall under gameplay + story without graphics combo obviously): Gothic 2, Morrowind, Undertale, HoMM3.

>VtMB
>good gameplay

Not playing shit games.

pick three

Deus Ex (for its time the graphics system was revolutionary)

/thread

Juden!

JUDEN!

Yes, I got that already, but what are some games that are not shit? I'd really like to try some

somber lighting that sets the mood
(for its time) photorealistic graphics
I'd agree with you though if you were to bring up the potato faces

that was simply the devs having some fun with the end product

I don't follow?

t. an ideas guy

Gameplay then gameplay again. Cause games are meant to be played nigger.

Case in point RE4. Couldnt care less about this retcon bullshit story. Played it over 40 times.

Characters, tech, story
MGS is my favourite series

Being clunky doesn't mean the core is bad, you millenial faggot
VtMB had many approaches to quests, different abilities, etc

Nowadays I mainly play games only focused on gameplay i.e. roguelikes.

Style
Characters
Tech

Everything else is entirely optional.

Characters, story and style. RPGs, man.

Dwarf Fortress
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
Majora's Mask
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
TES III Morrowind
Underrail
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania Portrait of Ruin/ Aria of Sorrow
Earthbound
Stalker

gameplay and "story" (by which i mean the writing in general)

without gameplay, it's not a game
without good writing, it's a game but it usually doesn't connect with you very deeply

only the following aspects of graphics are really important on any level
>visibility (since this ties into gameplay)
>accessibility (since this ties into gameplay)
>art style (since this can tie into writing)

however, since the only important parts of graphics are really subsets of the other two, i would say it's the least important overall

Gameplay and Graphics

Graphics actually do help to make the gameplay feel more effective, talking about animations and effects rather than texture resolutions and other more technical aspects of graphics. Sound too, now that I think of it. The Doom Super Shotgun is so satisfying thanks to the reloading animation and the BOOM it makes, as well as the fact that it's just a really strong weapon. Also gibs are graphics, so blowing enemies up with rocket launchers in Quake or Unreal is also thanks to graphics.

Story helps too, but devs shouldn't focus on it unless they're really good at it, look at Nier for example.

>Dorf Fort
>DDA
>Bloodborne
>Dark Souls
>Morrowind
>Underrail
>Stalker
good games, the rest I haven't played
That list screams "look at me i'm so hardcore" though, you really should try to relax sometimes user

Style
Challenge
Innovation

that user clearly said better physics, he wasnt implying that games with basic graphics took place in a universe where there was an absence of physics. user meant TECHNOLOGY in general, which exists outside of story and gameplay and is closer to graphics.

>dwarf fortress physics
yeah, raping the FPS sure is """good""" physics

>minecraft
pic related

Style, Characters, Challenge.
That combine the best indies

I like learning new things and getting good is fun for me. I love CDDA's and Df's depth and think they deserve more attention. I wish the ascii graphics wouldn't turn everyone off.

(But I also play Overwatch and Animal Crossing when I feel like it)

Replace challenge with gameplay mechanics and replace characters with narrative and you have got a deal.

yeah, this is shit.

what the fuck does "innovation" mean? What is the game trying to innovate on?
Characters and story are different categories? Why? They each work together
Challenge? Like how difficult the game is? But what is the line between outright input-reading bullshit and baby mode?

This "star" sounds like buzzwords a lizardman in a suit would spout out

>This "star" sounds like buzzwords a lizardman in a suit would spout out

Why did I laugh so hard that I this?

Gameplay, story.
ASCII is fine by me as long as the game is fun.

Improvements in gameplay require improvements in graphics. Even 2D games like fighters or action/platformers have improved over the years because of smaller hit boxes, more detailed sprites and bigger resolutions. So really, graphics and gameplay go hand in hand.

Story is not needed for a game, but is a nice addition when its done well.

innovation is an original combination of already known or new elements.

its gameplay only
its a fucking videogame you retards, if i wanted a good story id read a book, and if it plays well who the fuck needs graphics except for braindead 12yo

t. braindead 13yo

Even Pong has graphics. A 'video' game literally cannot exist without graphics. Unless its just musical tones on a blank screen.

Post improvements in graphics you would actually like to see (as in, not 2 more pixels per texture)

>Good gameplay
>vtmb