Why LBA3 hasn't been made

Frederick Raynal and Didier Chanfray, former Adeline developers talked about LBA3 and other things during a LBA1 speedrun livestream this year, it's quite long and so are the cliffnotes:

youtube.com/watch?v=lSfb_JOu4KY

>funny reactions to plenty of glitching to beat the game quickly
>asked about if he misses making games, Fred says no because he actually codes 24h per day
>their upcoming game, 2Dark, is also an attempt to see if old school gameplay can work today
>unsure if they can make LBA1's engine open source because the thing is a mess and they had to re-do stuff for the Android version
>on the mobile LBA sales, he says "it's magical", people thank him for creating LBA every day
>asked about LBA3, he says he wants it to be a AAA game, making the whole planet to explore
>It would be all about Twinsun, and you would be able to explore underwater and many new places
>he says there were already 3 scripts for LBA3, and possibly they'd create a fourth if they were to create game
>says the current environment in games isn't good for a game with the style of LBA, which he says it's hard to classify and kind of a "freestyle" game
>he says they're fully aware of crowdfunding, but LBA3 as he sees it would only work as a big production with a big publisher such as EA behind it, or someone really rich backing it
>says EA liked LBA games, even financially
>LBA3 is too big to be made right now
>Didier says there were lots of LBA2 players, but seems like it was not enough to justify a LBA2 Android version
>Didier says we need an AA game, not AAA (medium budget) and they'd make the game smaller
>streamer shows them gameplay of Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris as an example that could be used for LBA3, and the game's top down perspective reminds him of LBA
>Fred: you think LBA3 could be too big? We've got a whole planet to make it! It couldn't be too big.
>streamer asks if LBA would be open world like The Witcher
cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KljAkCs4YXU
youtube.com/watch?v=4GTYeyYnfaI
youtube.com/watch?v=TZVBaq4Kgzc
youtube.com/watch?v=loGtzVRva40
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Fred says isometric is 3D would take less money and effort to create, could be a good idea
>says with a bitmap engine maybe would do but it's not only graphics but also story and dialogue
>he also says maybe he would create polls on the fan site magicball network to know how they'd like to have for LBA3
>let's create discussions on the board to know what the community wants
>streamer says he thinks it's so far away now, 20 years, perhaps people just want the game to be here, as seen with Duke Nukem Forever, maybe it should've been smaller, even if LBA had a big story
>he says if people don't want to give money, maybe we'll never see LBA3
>Fred says after 20 years of waiting, what are people waiting? He's afraid of the answer because people might
be expecting too much
>Didier: with today's technology, we could really surprise you, LBA2 did a lot of things in terms of games.
>Fred: LBA2 was a modern game, but at the time we struggled with what we did.
>I wanted to do isometric 3D for a long time. I was pleased to mix isometric 3D and real 3D for the characters
>Fred: but it's very hard not to use what people are used to, like in 2Dark with mixed lots of technologies.
>streamer asks about engines, Source etc
>Didier: I'd like to work with the game engine of The Witcher!
>questions about if he's still in touch with Philippe Vachey, LBA's composer, if he would work on LBA3
>Fred: we haven't started anything, and that won't happen anytime soon. As of now, we cannot know. We know the musical theme was really good
>Didier says he's still in contact with Vachey for some projects.
>when asked if they played LBA when developing, Didier replies he played LBA2 when it was released on GoG
>Fred didn't play LBA2 for a very long time, it took 1.5 years to create it, after that it was not as fun to play it

>when you spend so much time on a game, it's not pleasant to play it, so no he doesn't play those games again
>they say Seb made the cow from LBA2, with the animation you could do weird things with tht cow, that made us laugh, so we didn't remove it from the release, we were young
>Didier: 6 developers for 10 months in the same office, you know

Fred is busy with his children's serial murderer game. It looks great.

Play Soul Bubbles, he assisted with some design there.

I think he nailed it when he said LBA is a dodgy game to pinpoint in a genre. How do you classify it? Action/adventure is such a fucking broad genre, both GTA and Zelda are in it, for example. Many people say LBA was the PC's Zelda but I disagree because the Zelda is way more about combat and some light puzzles, and there's little focus on characters/conversation and world building. LBA2 didn't have the best combat, but the world is pretty great and there are many small details in it.

Beyond Good & Evil is the closest thing to it, and it's also a quite varied game. It's a lot about exploration, and embarking on a crazy adventure where you meet strange alien-like species and shit.

Also yeah 2Dark is supposed to come out in the end of 2016.

worst success animation in history.
nevertheless, twinsen's odyssey is one of my favs.

it led to some pretty funny results, along with that french touch

what would happen if a today's game aimed at children had such easter eggs?

Well it's not like it has a pre-canned animation for that, it's what happens if you use the side-jump thing you can do, that is used to dodge bullets as done here, and the dodge rolling thing can be used forward or backwards.

I guess it's like if you play a third person game and keep walking backwards and forwards behind an animal, and then it drop an useful item.

>LBA3 may happen in your lifetime
Noice.

LBA2 is one of the few games I bought day one.

hopefully but the climate of the industry seems a bit shitty for lighthearted games in general. LBA1/2 were straight cartoonish violence, which was fine but today it's perceived as kiddy, since eleven years old are playing Call of Duty games already.

Beyond Good & Evil is quite similar in its atmosphere and we aren't getting that thing ever.

It's like that joke picture that the target audience of pokemon games is kids and adults play it, while CoD it's the other way around.

I've never played any of the LBA games. What's the appeal? What do you do in it? I get weird uncanny valley vibes from looking at the webms

Some people compare it to Zelda, but I think it's not a good comparison.

LBA is about exploration and you can for example hit every single NPC in the game, sometimes with funny results. You talk to everyone and to help with the story. First your flying dragon friend is injured, but then you need to go to the other island and you can't because reasons, so you just embark on an adventure and meet crazy things, also there is a conspiracy going on. You kill things there's the rare occasion where you solve a small puzzle, but the game is mostly about crazy planet exploration.

There are 2 planets where the game takes place, and each has 4 different races, and there are also some other races in the tourists portion of the second planet, 2 different currencies for each.

It's a hard game to describe, it's very similar to Beyond Good & Evil. but it has no taking pictures or a vehicle.

here's an example of the hitting any NPC thing going on

My favorite way of knocking that kid down was to stand behind him, enter Sporty stance and jump forward.
In general, hurting others with the jump "kick" was amusing.

That's pretty crazy yo. I think I'll check it out, if only to see if it's as weird as I think it is

yeah, it's a lighthearted game about going on an adventure, that begins with your flying animal friend injured and you out on a quest to get him medicine

I won't lie and I'll say the game is clunky, because it uses tank controls and isometric aiming is shitty, but then there's nothing out there similar to it.

Watch the LBA2 intro youtube.com/watch?v=KljAkCs4YXU

LBA1 is even clunkier and you don't need to play the first to understand the second game.

>LBA1 is even clunkier and you don't need to play the first to understand the second game.
It probably aged like milk for the average "current year" player.

Playing 2 after 1 was an amazing experience tho.

>LBA1 is even clunkier
This, I sure loved to smash my face on the walls when going sporty.

also I said it wrong, it's not 2 currencies for each planet, but 2 currencies overall, 1 for each planet

and there's also a moon to explore for a bit so 3 locales but the game takes place mostly in 2 different planets

This game isnt' isometric, m8

>tfw all your hard earned cash became trash

I also fucked up saying you have no vehicles because you have a car, but it's not as central to the game compared to BG&E's hovercraft that you can upgrade and fight bosses in it. In LBA2 the car has a gun but it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. The main method of transportation is just running.

It's isometric indoors and full 3D outdoors, the first game was totally isometric.

I'd like to see more games having the balls to pull that off. But then the money in LBA2 wasn't as important compared to a RPG, where you can get better weapons mostly via weapon shops so there's that.

DOwn TOwn

Best LBA2 meme?

>listening to the OST
>remember everything
I must have been like 6 when I watched my brother play it

I love The Empire
youtube.com/watch?v=4GTYeyYnfaI
Honey Bee is pretty good too
youtube.com/watch?v=TZVBaq4Kgzc

Also the installation music is great
youtube.com/watch?v=loGtzVRva40

Was this as bullshit as I remember?

I was a kid

Yeah, I disliked that part

Only if you sucked at drawing isometric maps, I guess. Took my 9-year-old self 2 days to get this one right.

you gotta play it user, to bring the good ol' nostalgia

What was the point of the Island below the Volcano of the Celebration?
They added an entire platforming section to the game and forgot to actually give you a reason to ever go there unless you really needed a hint as to where the captured queen is being held.

>interrupting a based pétanque game
Literally worse than Hitler.

Isn't there some cave in there with a NPC hidden inside? I don't remember right

Yes. Some mosquibees hide there after their island was raided and they tell you where the queen was taken. It's quite a hassle to get to that cave and back to the ferryman and all you get is an obsolete hint.

Amnesti?

I remember that place being filled with gems, you need gems as a currency to use the ferryman that takes you to different islands. That's the only portion of the island with those gems, and you needed like 3 or 5 for each travel.
oh right

you gotta play catch with a flying walrus... right?

yes

>played this game as a kid 10+ times
>knew little to no English at that point
>replayed it again 15 years later
>still remember all the dialogues by heart
Really makes you think about language acquisition.

it's a pretty damn good game, I hope they make a LBA3 someday, there's nothing like it on the market

I was in the stream with Raynal
They said that there's no (profitable) market for it any more.

Maybe Fred is overly ambitious, because he wants a AAA style game, with a publisher behind it. He also mentioned wanting to have a full planet on it, that's a pretty tough task for any company.

But then the first game had full voice acting and it didn't look bad for its time at all. Going with a cheapo LBA3 would possibly ruin the public's image of LBA. They do know they have a beloved IP in their hands.

>"triple A" LBA3
>sporty is pre-order bonus
>discreet a DLC

well the first game was exploring Twinsun
the seconds was exploring Zeelich
what's the next logical step?

(or lateral step, as people speculated that the protag would be Twinsen's child)

yeah I also think publishers wouldn't allow his company to have much freedom to do whatever they want with it, there would be checkboxes

Perhaps the best way would be to get a private investor to get them tons of money, and also make a kickstarter, a Psychonauts 2 kind of deal.

Not saying full planet is a bad idea, just feels like a lot of work if by that he means a planet you can fully explore. I know one thing, they should really revamp the magic ball throwing system, it's one of the weakest parts of LBA2, aiming in isometric places, outdoors it's quite clunky too.

I don't think modern gamers would be the target demo

but I think it would translate to any old TPS engine quite well.

are you amnesti, zebra, freeman, doc or banta?

no

I always thought a shooter kind of control would work fine for lobbing the magic ball, some LBA purist might get mad at this suggestion because it sounds shooter-ish.

2bh fâm I think they would do away with the behavior system, but then I really enjoyed how different behaviors affected how you used items, the lobbing throws of discreet mode, there's also a noticeable difference in how aggressive mode throw is and sporty, and the saber works so differently across sporty and aggressive too.

Thanks for making this thread. I love LBA.

It was my pleasure.

AYO HOL UP

Is Twinsen Black

There's this black kid in LBA2 here the funny part is that it doesn't matter which human you beat, it always triggers the same white "big brother" to beat you up