Your opinion on Super Mario World

Your opinion on Super Mario World

Other urls found in this thread:

authorblues.github.io/smwrandomizer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

eh it's a videogame I guess

it's shit

I love it

Theres neat secrets strung throughout the game, Yoshi is a really fun addition, and the control are tight. Morton's Castle best stage

It's good

SMB3 was better

It's the worst retro 2D Mario, but it's alright.

it's hot garbage, worst fucking trash """""game""""" in the mario franchise

only nostalgia babby think it's any better than hotel mario

best 2d mario.
fuck off, smb3 shitters.

When will they make the Super Maria Sisters game?

Literal perfection

Shit taste.

3 > World > 2J > 1 > 2USA

best mario game

Advance is better

>he didnt enjoy Doki Doki mario

3 > 2U > 2J > 1 > World

World was a huge step down from the previous Mario games despite being on newer hardware.

Love it, fantastic game.

In my personal top 5 games. Love it.

best classic mario game
tied with yoshis island for best 2d platformer of all time

Super Mario World 3 when?

It's awesome
and yet SMB3, SMW2 and SM64 are all better, if only just a bit

Just as soon as they make a real Super Mario World 2 that's not reappended Yoshi garbage riding on the Mario namesake for sales.

my opinion is that this is the first of like 30 threads you're going to spam relentlessly with just that image in a desperate attempt to make yet another mario game into a forced meme

It was fun playing it again with the randomizer

Jumping feels really floaty. If SMB3 has one (1) thing over it, it's the tight physics. The game is way too easy, too.

>randomizer
explain

SMB3 was worse

Five star game. A hair below SMB3.

p gud desu senpai, but i prefer SMB3

It was a very impressive game for its time. It's aged decently, and is still not a BAD game by any metric, but it's a bit overhyped.

needed more powerups

hot him, but I just heard of this last night. It's a deal you can download that randomizes every level in SMW, including randomizing the sub-worlds for each level. It also randomizes color palettes, stage music and probably a bunch of other shit. I think Vinesauce did a stream on it.

authorblues.github.io/smwrandomizer/

It lets you change up the level locations and some of the types of enemies that show up within the levels. It also lets you switch the fire flower for the hammer suit although it's not as good in this as it is in SMB3.

They did.

Best mario by far, 2d and 3d included. It really is a shame the franchise peaked 26 years ago and has been in a consistent downward decline ever since, only underage would disagree.

>2J > 1 > 2USA
>2J above anything

It's a fucking mess, basically the equivalent of a shitty kaizo romhack except it's official.

It was my first Mario game, and even I think it hasn't aged well.
It was ok for it's time but now it feels way too simple.

Typical Mario game. In other words it's really great.

if you randomize stages, how do you do multiple exit levels?

>if you disagree with my subjective opinion you are underage

Mirror, mirror on the wall

That's not super mario world, the sprite is different.

Is that some version I'm unaware of?

It only switches the multiple exit levels with each other instead of any spot.

They changed Luigi's sprite in SMAS and on the GBA

I love it but I thought the cape made it too easy even when I was a kid

the poor fire flower is useless vs the cape

It's alright, but it gets way more attention than it deserves simply by the virtue of being Mario while Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island are both much better

Ah. Never knew there was a version on GBA or a SMAS that had SMW.

I'm more of a Yoshi's Island and SMB3 guy but Cape > Tanooki Suit in every way

Excellent level design.

It keeps giving me an error. I blame vinesauce

I hate vinesauce.

Joel and GeePeeM is okay, but the rest of the staff is insufferable.
Especially Vinny, that fucking idiot.

doesnt generate a new rom for me, keeps giving an error message

don't hate them, the streams are phenomenal, it's the fans you need to hate

Yeah. Funny enough it was just called "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World." The GBA one is Super Mario Advance 2

I'm indifferent to Vinesauce.
Also try downloading a different rom. Some copies have some sort of weird protection that prevents them from being tampered with. I had a problem using Lunar Magic with a copy I downloaded from Vimm.

I agree. Both are great though.

better than SMB3. only redditors disagree

The best Mario game in existence, only nostalgiafags will cry about SMB3 being better.

For some reason the actual levels seem to be normal, but the names and the palette are fucked up like expected. Did I do something wrong with these options?

>SMB3 was better

no it wasn't

How much did you play? On the Vinesauce stream, the first couple levels were the same with minimal changes. Third level was a messed up Iggy/Morton's castle

It doesn't make new levels, only switches them all around. Also, the Random Stage Name setting is why the names are fucked.

Yes it was.

I cant generate a new rom

autism please go

smw was such a huge step up when it came out

Oh, I only did the first yoshi's island and the switch palace, I'll check further
I know that, I mean the levels were in the normal place

My negro.

No it wasn't. SMW was a huge step down. The only thing you can argue SMW did better was graphics, but even then I disagree about that since SMW's graphics are so homogenized and there's such a lack of environment variety to the point where 90% of the levels are grassy plains.

>try it out
>Tubular is the first stage

Some of these random stage names are great.

Try using a rom from emuparadise.

SMW is more replayable than Mario 3 because of the hidden exits, world map, star road etc.

Whats so bad about randomizing music?

yes it was. you're just a faggot blinded by nostalgia. the only thing smb3 had over smw was difficulty

You might get something like the bonus music for a whole stage.

>4th stage is a castle

lmao

literally unfinished
t. Miyamoto

Best 2d mario if yoshi's island isn't mario.

I'm . Guess what fucking song is playing. They REALLY want me to suffer.

>the only thing smb3 had over smw was difficulty
And not having completely broken power-ups, and not having a mount that completely defeats the point of Mario's platforming and is nothing but a free hit, and having more secrets, and having more world and level variety, and having good minigames, and having simultaneous 2-player Mario Bros., and actually being a finished game instead of a game that was rushed out the door for the SFC's release.

i don't like it and think 3 is way better

oh god

You have my condolences.

He has my jeering laughter

Are you also the same guy whose first level or two wasn't randomized?

FILTERS

>those fucking drums when you get on Yoshi
based Joki Donko

What's wrong with bonus stage music?

Fucking loved it.
Played through it multiple times.

>And not having completely broken power-ups
HAHAHA get a load of this faggot. Why are SMB3 niggers the most deluded fags out there?

Every single power-up in SMB3 is balanced.

The cape in SMW is not balanced.

>Every single power-up in SMB3 is balanced.
>you can kill almost anything with hammer suit or tanooki suit, both of which grant some damage resistance

tail is not nearly as broken as the cape
the rarer power ups are balanced by their rarity
cape is literally just spin to win and also practically a perma P-wing

Yes and both of those are rare.

>cape is OP
Maybe if all you want to do is get to the end of the level and not get the dragon coins.

Hammer Suit and Tanooki Suit are rare power-ups and if you lose them, you lose them. Due to the way SMB3's item system works, you can only activate your stored power-ups before a level. The Tanooki Suit and Hammer Suit are high value power-ups that are also high risk.

The cape is a high value power-up that is low risk since you can keep one in storage and have it float down to you if you get hit or just find a power-up block with a cape in it since the game hands them out like candy. The cape is a broken P-Wing that's far more common than the P-Wing.

All you get for collecting dragon coins are 1-ups, which in World are pointless since the game constantly gives those away.

>SNES version didn't even remember which ones you already collected
>getting lives isn't that hard anyway

Fucking casual babies.

I didn't say "tail," I said "suit."

>cape is literally spin to win
>it doesn't count because it's rare
You can get them early enough unless you suck. Getting powerups in SMB3 does feel so much more rewarding, though.

Honestly, it sounds like all of you are actively looking for a reason to complain about the game.

>it doesn't count because I'm not excessively rewarded for it

>I didn't say "tail," I said "suit."
I don't give a fuck you mong, I was comparing the two power-ups.

It doesn't count because Dragon Coins barely matter. They might as well not have been in the game, it'd change almost nothing.

>arguing about which children's game is more hardcore

>tail is not nearly as broken as the cape
Yes it is. You're just a nostalgia ridden faggot.

Tanooki Suit is just a Racoon Tail that also provides activated temporary invincibility, but you can't move while you're a statue, so you have to be careful where you choose to activate it.

>You can get them early enough unless you suck.
No you can't. Tanooki Suits and Hammer Suits don't start appearing until around world 5.

>it doesn't count because I'm not excessively rewarded for it
If all you get is a 1-up for Dragon Coins, why bother collecting them? You don't unlock anything extra, the game doesn't keep tabs on which coins you've collected, they're completely irrelevant. SMW would be better off without Dragon Coins.

Not an argument.

You're an idiot. The tail is slower and not nearly as easy to spam as the cape.

>Tail
>Build up speed to be able to fly for a limited time

>Cape
>Build up speed to be able to fly indefinitely with impunity

Huge difference.

Has there even been a better remaster?

>the only thing smb3 had over smw was difficulty
When will this meme end? The special world levels in SMW were harder and had more variety than anything in SMB3.

Hey guys, I got a Pepperoni Secret for you.

>TFW it's fucking impossible to play on a real SNES these days because the framerate is complete fucking garbage

>The special world levels in SMW were harder and had more variety than anything in SMB3
did you play every level in SMB3

because I can remember getting a few game overs in world 7 in SMB3, but I never got a game over in SMW

Jesus fuck

and maybe this was just in the GBA version, but if you hit an enemy while flying with the cape, didn't you just fall out of the air with invincibility frames and didn't even lose your powerup?
sound so ridiculous piss easy I must be mistaken.

that was in every version user

Yeah, that's what happens in the SNES version.

Why do you keep making these threads?

>And not having completely broken power-ups

Holy shit.

To talk about good games

Novel concept i know

did you play every level in SMW

because I can remember getting a few game overs in world 6 in SMW, but I never got a game over in SMB3

>but I never got a game over in SMB3
Because you didn't play it

>>>>>>>>Accusing someone of never playing smb3

Are you retarded?

Or maybe he's just good.

>that one fucking SMB3 level where you had to fly up and use a shell to get past the nippers
Fried my kiddie brain.

>it's really hard to lie on the internet

I love it, but mostly because of nostalgia.

Platformers don't really do it for me anymore. I enjoyed Super Meat Boy a couple years ago though.

>top secret area secret is replaced with cheese bridge secret
>TSA turns into blue switch palace

this is great

It was problably in the first SMB that nintendo understood the power of secrets, the excitement of unvealing a secret in a game is unparelled and more potent than simply overcoming the regular game challenges, so they continued improved on this aspect with SMB3 by introducting an interactive overworld where the player could find some secret areas, but this isn't very developed in that game and ultimately the secrets are just a nice bonus.

But with SMW they decided to go all out, finding secrets becomes the entire point of the game.
This is demonstrated by the fact that you can "finish" the regular game in a matter of minutes by going straight to the end boss, but of course this isn't enough, to truly experience the game the player must go through every level searching for the secret exits in order to complete all areas.

People talk about the cape being OP and how its easy to traverse a level, but what they fail to see is that SMW operates on a much higher level than simply finishing levels and defeating the end boss, there is a metagame with a more enticing challenge, finding all secrets.

We've already been over this, read the thread.

Suffice to say, the cape and all of the variants of Yoshi are broken as fuck.

No you fucking spastic. At least SMW doesn't allow you to skip 4 or so worlds with smb3's retarded overworld bullshit.

Neither are hard, both are excellent games. I personally enjoy Mario 3 more and I consider it the better game.

>At least SMW doesn't allow you to skip 4 or so worlds with smb3's retarded overworld bullshit.
Star World lets you skip directly to Bowser's Castle without playing any of the levels in the Valley of Bowser. Even if you use Warp Whistles to get to world 8 from world 1 in SMB3, you still have to go through world 8.

You know for how much this randomizer messes with stage names it's a real missed opportunity it doesn't mess with the tutorial boxes.

Best 2D Mario

Valley of bowser is easier than the star world niggers. Especially with the shit you do to unlock it.

>hitting tutorial boxes

Best 2D Mario, no competition. In fact:

World > Doki Doki Panic > SMB 3 > actual SMB 2 > SMB

>Valley of bowser is easier than the star world niggers.
Yes, that extremely short level in Star World where you have to fly to the top of the stage to win is SO HARD. SMW doesn't start getting legitimately challenging until Special World.

>Especially with the shit you do to unlock it.
Finding a few secret exits in Donut Plains is difficult?

>Finding a few secret exits in Donut Plains is difficult?

More difficult than the shit you do to get the whistles, yes.

It's like 3-fold secret exits to get there, one of which is a ghost house. Pretty well hidden.

>it's really hard to make baseless accusations on the internet

it was the only game me and my sister played together as kids before she was killed in a car crash with my father, every time I see this game I think of when I needed her help going thru the boo stages cause they scared me as a kid

Great, but how does that change the fact that you still have to play through the entirety of world 8 in SMB3, which is much harder than anything from SMW?

Donkey Kong Country is vastly superior, I've played Mario for years including super mario world but I never got DKC, I started playing it a couple weeks back and it earned a spot in my favorite SNES games and my favorite platformer.

Fun game. Pretty much timeless I'd say.

How can one faggot be so wrong?

it's literally the only good mario platformer

Are you joking? I found all the exits in World when I was like 7 just by "grasping" the level design. Once I knew there were sometimes things hidden at the top of the screen, it was just a matter of exploration.

With SMB3, who would guess the "go in the background by doing nothing for several seconds" nonsense without having seen The Wizard or hearing about it on the playground?

>Donkey Kong Country is vastly superior
Nope, MAYBE if you said DKC2.

Literally my first game. I taught my brother how to play and he's been better then me at at vidya ever since. Feeling a little nostalgic now actually.

>grading difficulty on how hard it is to skip levels and beat bowser rather than beating every level in the game

>or hearing about it on the playground

>harder than
>a matter of exploration

Nigger please.

What about Donkey Kong Country puts it over Mario World for you? Atmosphere? Music? I'm just curious because one seems like a vastly more fulfilling and well-designed experience to me.

SMB3 > DKC2 > SMW

Level design was tighter, the secrets were actually secrets (in that, it didn't color-code the levels on the map to tell you there's a secret in them), and the aesthetics stood out more.

Oh, and also projectiles become more fun to get good at when they're weird and kinda awkward at first. Like the huge arch on the hammer power up, or the frog-suit controls, or the statue thing when you have the tanooki suit on. Mario 3 was experimenting with power ups, while Mario World's power ups (excluding the flying mechanic which was cool and different) were based to shit.

What I'm saying is that, in a vacuum, one game could be 100%'d through logic while the other could almost never be.

Yoshi was the best addition to any mario game
I've stopped buying them until they bring him back properly

And you're saying that the one that can't is better.

Lol

The DKC games are style over substance trash.

I think we can all agree that SMB3A World-E is the best as it combines both World and 3. Only Yoshi is missing.

Skipping levels is the same as "beating" them.

Its challenging, the OST is amazing a very comfy (SMW too but DK has tracks that stand out more for me like Aqua Ambiance)
The sprite work is phenomenal, the atmosphere is incredible, its somewhere between relaxing and a bit unsettling and mysterious?
I dont know it just seems like such a solid experience and I love how the game plays and how the momentum works.

Its just a much more complete experience to me, I've yet to play the second DK game.

sorry user, it's just not what I needed

What do you need then user-chan?

What? I'm saying SMW's logic>SM3's logic

This

>SMW's logic
>stand still for a while and you go behind stuff
>logical

Right.

But SM3 had that mechanic, not SMW. I'm saying "stand still for a while and you go behind stuff" is ILLogical. Are we somehow arguing about an agreement...?

It's time for me to go to bed, I think.

>ywn know all of the pepperoni secrets

why nintendo can't make another mario game as good as SMW?

Cute boys

Because they're content on just reused NSMB's assets from now until the end of time.

Apparently Mario NX is moving past the NSMB franchise, we can only wonder at what it will be though,

Yoshis island was better

The first nsmb was actually very good and even had good bosses. Not even smb3 and smw had those

There can still be a Mario NX and NSMB: NX like how we got NSMB: U and 3D World.

Better than SMB3.

Airships are cancer.

Because it would require

>Nintendo to break out of its painfully conservative mould when it can churn out NSMB:NX and sell millions
>legitimately hard to execute innovation even if they were trying 110%

I mean, I don't know how they could really recapture the novelty of SMW

already have since world is shit

That's a literal meme quote that was debunked.

>Gay shit: The post

>level design was tighter
No

>NSMB is as good as SMW

>debunking an opinion

NSMB did nothing wrong, Wii was where it all got fucked to shit.
>didn't have any Push-To-Fly Powerups but had MOTHERFUCKING BLUE SHELL HOLY SHIT BRING IT BACK ALREADY
>Bowser Jr was basically Boom Boom, I don't see why everyone complained about this when they never complained about fighting Boom Boom in every Fortress and some W8 Levels
>actual variety in bosses instead of the Koopalings being virtually identical aside from their gimmick
>on top of that, to access W4 and W7 you had to conquer W2 and W5's Bosses as Mini Mario
>levels weren't built for multiple players so nothing feels open and empty for the most part

3D included or 2D only?

2D

It's neat. Not worth buying off the eshop but neat

why isn't there an entire world inside an airship yet?

That's such a good question.

>NSMB did nothing wrong
NSMB was absolute dog shit. I didn't expect a game as good as SMB3 but I thought there'd be a nice challenge and solid variety, and I was dead wrong. Even the art and music were bland. Zero redeeming features besides a single Koji Kondo track.

Shell Mario wasn't interesting, it was a slight variation on something that existed since SMB1. Bosses were shit; Mario bosses were never good but they used to be legitimately tricky to bypass and these weren't.

>on top of that, to access W4 and W7 you had to conquer W2 and W5's Bosses as Mini Mario
How could this possibly be a good thing? They're not difficult even as Mini Mario. And if you don't go out of your way, it's a fucking 6 world Mario game. You don't even get anything good for beating the extra worlds, either.

NSMB wasn't just worse than classic Mario, it was worse than shit like Aero the Acrobat and Robocod because at least those were occasionally interesting and challenging even if they weren't good

That would deviate from Miyamoto's Safe Space consisting of Plains/Desert/Water/Snow/Swamp+Giant/Mountain/Sky/Lava.

>be little
>be poor but parents ask me if i want a snes for christmas
>don't know about video games so respond no
>got a snes for christmas with super mario world
>spend all day playing first 3 levels with my sister even though we sucked at it
>had the biggest smiles on our faces, so did parents watching us play smw
>start life long love of games and have fond memories

I love my parents.

Only if I get a dungeon castle world first.

>every level is a guess the right path to get to the next path level

>durr smb2 sucked dick cause it's different
Even the Japanese and all their poor taste released an All-American SMB2 after realizing their rom hack was shit, user.

>hating on SMB2
Maybe its because I played the all star version, but I always loved that game, it felt so mysterious compared to the others.

>wow nintendo well done ripping off bioshock infinite, couldn't copy yourselves anymore so you do it to someone else? class act, losers
This would be inevitable

it's definitely a fun game, helps that it plays differently from the standard mario game. I always wondered if doki doki panic would have been a popular series by itself or if it would have gotten canned after the first one.

>"mario sucks" - Cred Forums

Jesus

Eh, I dunno man. They're pretty close though.

>neat secrets
My 11th birthday was spent trying to find every secret route in the game. I felt like a king after I got all of them and the reskinned enemies. Why didn't they build up on SMW when they went back to 2D? NSMB really couldn't hold my attention after beating it.

Good post. You summed it up better than I could have.

the levels look the same (like 4 sets of graphics)
no power ups
game has like 3 tracks.

>Mario bosses were never good but they used to be legitimately tricky to bypass and these weren't.
Since when were Mario bosses difficult? NSMB at least offered some species variety.

>tfw Luigi's sprite from SMA+W was better than the original Mario World and the GBA remake

>people who play games ONLY for the challenge and ignore literally every other aspect

Objectively the best 2d platformer ever

It's beter than NSMB2, that's for sure.

Even the original Bowser fights were pretty tense if you were small. SMB3's bosses were embarrassingly easy to stunlock but if you fucked up even a little you'd get a face full of Boom Boom spikes or magic wand waves and the boss would hop around going apeshit and it'd be a little tough to regain that perfect momentum again. Every boss in NSMB is slow as shit and the game spoon feeds you so many powerups, lives, and checkpoints that you're in no danger even if you fuck up.

Though it's easy to forget what the original games' difficulty was like since everybody knows how to cheese them, NSMB softballs you even if you don't try

>Though it's easy to forget what the original games' difficulty was like since everybody knows how to cheese them
Good point, actually.

I've seen people call the Yellow Devil in Megaman 1 easy when they just use the pause glitch every time, it's crazy

Why

Super Mario World's level design is perfect. The philosophy behind it should be adopted by all.

I honestly want a real SMW successor. None of this pre-rendered plastic looking NSMB stuff.

We're in the age of lolrememberplatformers though so they'd fuck it up somehow.

Why can't Mario crawl?

My favorite Mario.

GPM, Joel, and KP are all great streamers,but the community and chat are advanced cancer.

I like Vinny, but I feel like he panders with his game selection sometimes and doesn't enjoy them.

>be 3 years old in 1991
>live in a third world country where everybody plays the Chinese knock-off clone of the famicom
>father goes to USA because he worked as a trade ship driver/pilot/helmsman
>father goes to Toys R Us and asks
>"do you guys have a nintendo game system? i need one for my little user"
>clerk answers "we don't have the nintendo, we have the Super Nintendo"
>father says "ok, whatever, give me the super nintendo"

>start life long love of games and have fond memories

i love my parents

Very few people do this user.
If more people did it, kaizo mario would be a lot more popular.

OBJECTIVE AND FULLY CORRECT RANKING COMING THROUGH:
SMB3>SMB2>NSMBU>SMW>NSMB>NSMBWii>NSMB2>SMB

Endless Koopaling/Retro pandering has soured my view of SMB3 a bit. But yeah that's pretty much right.

How many times did you try to beat Tubular, Cred Forums?

I cheesed it with a Blue Yoshi and cape. Keep bouncing off enemies/eating Koopa Paratroopas to extend your flight.

I never got good.

The fact that the game allows you to do it makes it legitimate. Not like you glitched or anything. SMW is fucking broken with Yoshi/Cape/In level inventory and tops it off with the ridiculous blue yoshi.

I beat this level exactly once. After like 30+ tries victory never felt so satisfying.

About 15 times. Once you get past that Football Chuck Bit it's all smooth sailing.

>Yoshi's Island 2 gets replaced with Tubular

Thinking about SMW reminds me of my best friend who stole my GBA SMW cartridge that had my 100%'d files on it.
All three save files, had all the dragon coins. One save file was even done exclusively with Luigi.
Fuck you, I knew you took it too.

Sounds like Let's Player bait.

But it seems interesting.

That's one fancy Chargin' Chuck

30 year old dude here. My two cents-

I think it's one of the best games ever made. Great platforming. Great adventure. Great secrets and exploration. But if you're looking for more of a challenge, play Mario 3. Mario World isn't exactly the easiest thing by today's standards, but it was clearly designed at the time to be a bit more accessible than what came before it.

Also, it's huge. 96 unique levels, some easy to find, others require special conditions to open.

tl/dr - I love the game. It feels like a journey and an adventure, which is more than I can say for today's platformers, which feel more like obstacle courses.

Mario 2 had a sense of quirky adventure to it. It is the Adventure Time of classic gaming.

>96

I think it's actually 70-something. 96 is how many exits there are and that's counting barely levels like the back door and secret area.

I never counted but I think SMB3 had more, but they are also considerably shorter.

>you can't talk about video games on Cred Forums

>Progress stuck at 96%
my autism back then.

>which is more than I can say for today's platformers, which feel more like obstacle courses.
You must not have played rayman legends or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.