Paper Mario Color Splash

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZyerryUkoc

Why does this game look so damn good? I mean, I'm not falling for it, I hated Sticker Star and I don't expect anything better... but it LOOKS so good....

Other urls found in this thread:

gamasutra.com/view/feature/197634/going_platinum_bayonetta_2_.php
youtube.com/watch?v=B4qSNU8Cp-c
youtube.com/watch?v=zNqP87Raiwk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yeah it LOOKS good

Despite underpowered hardware Nintendo is generally great with artstyles

This game would have been a fantastic experimental adventure-platformer. Instead it has to be some half-assed Paper Mario title instead of something trying to stand on its own.

Its the definition of style over substance. Graphics over gameplay. Looks over character. In other words, it goes entirely against how Nintendo used to be, with gameplay over graphics, because graphics sucked back then. In fact, its been said in a few developer interviews a while back, that even having hardware capable of good or great graphics according to Nintendo, gives the developers a easy out. When running into gameplay problems, it promotes a lazy attitude of working on graphics and ignoring the gameplay problems. When Nintendo interacts with companies like this due to a joint project, Nintendo won't tolerate it, and gets called "perfectionists" for wanting to fix gameplay problems instead of just making the game look better.

Source:
gamasutra.com/view/feature/197634/going_platinum_bayonetta_2_.php

I've been replaying SS a bit to refresh my memory.

The biggest difference between it and CS is that CS's areas are much more livelier and involved. Each level shown so far has at least a handful of NPCs (which are unfortunately either Toads or Shy Guys, but still) and events that occur, whereas SS just has fucking nothing happen except for the occasional mini-boss. They also dropped the NSMB area motifs, which is also a plus.

If only they dropped the card battle system.

youtube.com/watch?v=B4qSNU8Cp-c

Remember this narrator? NoA should use no other.

Hey, fuck you! YOU'RE the one that looks good!

Wonder what caused the shift?

I like all the diversions they showed, like running away from the rolled up hill, and the the chain chomp. I wouldn't mind if the game had a lot of that, but I feel like most of the stuff you is just filling in paint everywhere.

>mfw I currently have a preorder for Color Splash

Save me Cred Forums I have lost control

If you mean for Paper Mario, it was caused by a combination of bad things. They did some online poll on the Nintendo website over if people cared about the story in Super Paper Mario. You know, that great, and amazing story with the tragic villain? Well, nobody heard about the poll, so nobody voted, which told them that people didn't care about the story. This caused Tabata to want to drastically change the game to reflect this, then Miyamoto basically came in and was all "I AM YOUR SENIOR! PAPER MARIO NEEDS NO STORY! ONLY USED MARIO WORLD CHARACTERS, NOTHING ORIGINAL! USE TOAD! MAKE PEOPLE LIKE TOAD!" and thus Sticker Star was made. It sold, so now Paper Mario is a "action adventure" game instead of a RPG. Also, that fucking Risa bitch made Color Splash from a idea she had at a party. They just do not care about the IP anymore.

I tried replaying the game myself but just couldn't keep interest long enough so instead I watched a speedrun. All I have to say is I love this 1 aspect about the game:
youtube.com/watch?v=zNqP87Raiwk

I wish it was longer though, it's really rare for Nintendo to reference SML2.

>Also, that fucking Risa bitch made Color Splash from a idea she had at a party. They just do not care about the IP anymore.
I don't understand why this is a bad thing, though? The color gimmick seems interesting, the major problem is that Sticker Star's gameplay was shit.

Its bad because it shows how little they seem to care. Also like you said, Sticker Star's gameplay was shit.

As a Nintendo fan, my confidence in their games was harmed the most by Color Splash and Star Fox Zero. I've lost faith in those two franchises basically. There's more, but those two franchises were the ones I still enjoyed and was keeping up with.

I want Gamexplain to leave

>Its bad because it shows how little they seem to care.
Miyamoto got the idea for Pikmin from gardening. Inspiration can come from anywhere, just because she got it from a party doesn't mean its not a good idea.

But yeah, I definitely agree with you on the confidence thing, and I'll also add in the new Pikmin, which looks like shit.

I'm fine with the new Pikmin. I consider it a spinoff, in the same way that I don't consider Captain Toad a mainline 3D Mario game.

But Captain Toad was a good game.

Because the devs have a lot of passion for the project.

Sadly, their passion when it comes to gameplay is for trash.

Don't you dare put the new Pikmin in the same category as Captain Toad. Captain Toad is a puzzle game about a minor Mario character. the new Pikmin game is filler.

It's the same way they killed Chibi Robo.

>card system
okay jesus fucking whatever, it'll be a pain but
>still no partners
D R O P P E D

64/TTYD remaster with these graphics when? they are gorgeous

Chibi Robo the future of the franchise was riding on appealing to a wider audience with a genre with wider appeal, Pikmin actually sells more than five copies to begin wth

Pikmin is fine dude, it has a good track record & 1 spin-off isn't going to effect it much, even if it doesn't look that good. Just ignore the 3DS game & wait for Pikmin 4.

When you think about it, isn't the whole Thing thing blown a bit out of proportion? Having the right Thing card shouldn't trivialize an encounter and kill a boss instantly, but there's nothing wrong with bosses having exploitable weaknesses or things you have to do to them in order to beat them.

Nobody would complain about having to attack an enemy's weak point in a beat-em-up, or having to break a weapon so that the boss can't use its OP attack.

I know - I just wasn't ready to accept that Chibi Robo is really dead. One day, the original will get an HD remake, r-right?

Op, even the shittiest paper mario game is better than most games out there. Problem is, its always compared to other mario rpg games.

I'm going to be honest, I don't think the lack of partners and the sticker/card battle system would be a bad thing if it was done right. Like if game encouraged using card combos and rewarded you for doing well in battle I'd find it a lot of fun. But in SS there was no point in... anything. No point in fighting battles. No point in trying to deal lots of damage or do well. And the only way to even use more than one sticker in a turn was with that stupid fucking slot machine. If this game fixes some of those problems, I might not be all that against it.

Reminder that if you buy this game you are literally begging to suck Nintendo's cock

There's an obtuse EXP system and IIRC you obtain more card slots as the game progresses.

They swapped out the good staff for gooks with retarded "visions"

>that damage on the pic
>that digit on the post

Fucking check'd

That describes every single Nintendo fanboy.

Yeah, that art design looks good but the battles look shallow.

I was super down until i saw the battle system
why dont they just do the classic 64 and GC styles? those were perfect

Even the voiceover has had it's soul drained.

this is what i want too

If the game designers at IS were putting in even half the effort that the sound and art guys are, the game may actually be decent.

I wish other games aside from this and MK looked better. neo-Nintendo artstyle is awful

Everything looks nice until you see the horrible combat.
They lost me there.

Eat shit.

>I need arrows in my floor
>Push more your DLC on me
You too.

God this game is gorgeous and absolutely charming.

This. This genuinely looks better then most PS4/XBone games.

They should really drop the turn based combat and do what was done in Super Paper Mario

Not enought blur and saturation

Now that it is

Nintendo now puts signs and arrows of where do you have to go next.
Why explore and think for yourself? who gives a shit, just follow instructions.

>do what was done in Super Paper Mario
But they are. :^)

but there are no arrows on floors in that picture

>Altp remastered for PS4
FTFY

The challenge mode in Pikmin 3 is literally the best form of Pikmin gameplay that exists, so I don't really give a fuck what you say about the DLC

okay?

>Nintendo now puts signs and arrows of where do you have to go next
Like they've done since Super Mario 64?

At least they're admitting SPM exists...kind of.

>expending that amount of effort to prove nothing

Nice get.

I hate that level so much.
They think by putting SMB3 references that I am gonna buy the game just for that? they can go fuck themselves.

Like they've done since Super Mario World, more like.

It literally took me 30 seconds

>to prove nothing

I know nintenyearolds would eat shit if it comes from Miyamoto's arse, but pretty much anyone else gets the point

Gets the point that Pikmin 3 doesn't look like that?

I don't understand. Are you still butthurt over WWHD?

The only feasible thing here to even make a joke would be the bloom. The rest of that shit is other console shit.

Are you actually retarded?

I get the point clearly, don't listen to those buttmad nintenyearolds.
Keep up the good work.

>displays one 8 despite the attack hitting multiple times
>not two 4s

What happened to you Nintendo

>displays one 8
It displays two.

His health goes down 16 points.

I see two 8s, and his health goes down by 16.

user, you are an idiot.
The attack causes 16 damage, so it was 8 x 2.

>this is the intelligence of shitposters on Cred Forums

This is sort of how NSMB should look like if they are too lazy to draw sprites anymore

>Calls me shitposter
Ok then go and give them your money just because they put a fucking reference to an old game, despite the actual game being shit.
Kill yourself.

>displays one 8 despite the attack hitting multiple times
>not two 4s
>What happened to you Nintendo
I'm sorry, you're just retarded not a shitposter.

My mistake.

>this is the Nintendo defence force on Cred Forums

Because everyone has to like Nintendo neo-shit or else you are shitposting, right?

Back to toppic, finally when they use nice graphics at last they fuck up the gameplay. WTF

The fuck are you talking about you retard? I am not that guy Honestly, you should consider suicide, not even memeing this time.

>not two 4s
>being able to count means you defend nintendo
Ok kid.

>innumerate calls someone else retarded

Dude there is more than two people on this thread I'm not that user

Why do they refuse to go back to the RPG paper mario?

>can't count
>can edit HTML
I'm impressed.

Ok here is what you are craving for.

>8
>8
noice

Mario Story
>Director - Ryota Kawade/Toshitaka Muramatsu/Takahiro Ogi/Hironobu Suzuki

Paper Mario RPG
>Director - Ryota Kawade

Super Paper Mario
>Director - Ryota Kawade

Paper Mario: Super Seal
>Director - Naohiko Aoyama/Taro Kudo

The short answer is that they are different games.

Nah Super was shit at selling so they are trying something different and it sucks.

This is all that matters.

>a Dino Rhino
Huh. They remembered those exist.
>all those Shy Guy and Snifit reskins

But they are different games.

This isn't Mario Story 5

But like, Super sold the most in the entire series, plus even if that were true wouldn't that mean they should go back to the older gameplay?

>pre-ordering Color Splash gets you stickers
Real subtle.

>Super was shit at selling
super sold the most until sticker shit came along though

>older gameplay
This isn't Mario Story 5, Paper Mario RPG 4, Super Paper Mario 3 though. It's a sequel to Paper Mario: Super Seal.

I know, what's your point? I'm saying that Super sold well so them changing the gameplay has nothing to do with it and even if it hypothetically did sell poorly it should've indicated they shouldn't change the gameplay again (which they obviously did).

they're trying something different because it's literally a completely different team of devs

That doesn't make it suck any less though.

To me this is like saying why doesn't Mario Kart 8 feel more like Diddy Kong Racing, they are different games.

didn't say they were good
sticker star was shit
color splash is an improvement, but still a dumbed down paper mario
why not just completely get rid of turn-based combat/rpg mechanics and make it a platforming adventure with puzzles

Bring back the old Paper Mario

I actually like this adventure game feel they're going for, dialogue seems much better and more varied now and each stage feels like its own chapter in a story, something they failed to do with Sticker Star and something that works really well in this format.

Still, I'll only pirate it. And I'll replay TTYD in order to refresh my memory and prepare myself to properly assess CS.

It's still the best selling. SS only hit second best in the series.

>sticker star was shit
Right but what does that have to do with Mario Story, Paper Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario being different games?

>why not just completely get rid of turn-based combat/rpg mechanics and make it a platforming adventure with puzzles
It's 'Paper Mario' sequel not 'Super Paper Mario' 2

>It's 'Paper Mario' sequel not 'Super Paper Mario' 2
Not him but they got rid of everything else, they might as well get rid of the turn-based gameplay at this point.

>but what does that have to do with Mario Story, Paper Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario and Paper Mario being different games?
stop lumping in everyone replying
>It's 'Paper Mario' sequel
it plays nothing like the first three and one of sticker star's problems was the combat which they pretty much made more tedious by having you fill in an attack before flicking it
besides, sticker star and color splash aren't even advertised as rpgs

The turn based gameplay in SS and CS is more of puzzle solving than anything.

At least one thing CS does well over SS is making the items you need a series of puzzles you have to beat in order to obtain, and then face the final boss with it.

>It's 'Paper Mario' sequel
You mean it's an entry in the Paper Mario series.
I agree with that user that they might as well go all out and make something different. The RPG mechanics that remained are really shallow and puzzles in the overworld tend to be more creative than the boss fights.

I feel as though they really shouldn't have it though, if they want to focus on puzzles which they have said they want to then if they got rid of the turn-based gameplay (that many don't like at this point) then they could have full focus on puzzles in the area. I don't know exactly what they could do for bosses though, I'm assuming just having area-based puzzles for them as well.

>implying CS didn't make it worse by now making it mandatory to use the special object to advance the fight
SS at least let you kill most of the bosses your own way
...even if you got nagged for it

It's fine, they somewhat fixed the XP problem now, too. You expand the amount of paint you hold with coins and fights give you more coins than anything else right now, plus you can hold 99 cards so you aren't bothered with really limited inventory space or anything like that.

You really couldn't beat some bosses in your own way, though I'm guessing CS will be the same in that regard. Mini-bosses look like normal fights you're supposed to use your standard cards for, at least.

I know what how they expanded the battle system but I still feel the same way about it. Even with EXP it looks completely unappealing and from what I've heard with CS is Things are still pretty situational. They could make a good game but they really should let go of that turn-based part of it if they aren't going back to the old system ever again. Having focus on the over world would just generally seem good to me.