This is the holy trinity of 2D performers

This is the holy trinity of 2D performers.

You have no excuse for not having played all of these games.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M9mrUgY1YAg
youtube.com/watch?v=HunsRtC-TAw
youtube.com/watch?v=3uvAXaC8u50
twitch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MEME ARROW TRINITY MEME ARROW FOUR GAMES

I 100%'d three of those.

Never bothered with N++, it bored me.

>trinity
>4 games

Do you even engrish motha fucka!!!

N++>>Dustforce>VVVVVV>super meat boy

>cotton alley and rapture iron man runs
>SS Yotta
>master of the universe
Nothing personal kid, but you're lying through your teeth

>trinity
>tri
>3
> 4 (four) games

super kys

>n++
meme trash, no fun
i guess the movement is super satisfying though
>vvvvvv
100%d, pretty easy but awesome mechanic and level design. was disappointed to find that veni vidi vici level was actually way easier than kid warp zone.
>super meat boy
probably one of my favorite games of all time. incredibly fun. perfect difficulty curve, always challenging but never beyond my skill level at the time.
probably the best 2d platformer ever made, at least the best indie one.
perfect and flawless movement, fucking incredibly simple nuance which is manipulable into incredible maneuvers (s jumps making crazy skips, etc)
too bad mcmillan is a little bitch and baranowsky is a cuck.
>dustforce
the movement is just very heavy. I would imagine that it gets fun and better, but I have to press too many buttons to do things while I'm busy trying to make the perfect jump. Of course, I need to get better at the control scheme before I can make a good judgement, but so far the level design just seems a little lackluster and less memorable.

You put them in backwards order, you forgot how "greater than" signs work is the only possibility.
not him, but 100% != finishing all the shitty steam achievements.

>>n++
>meme trash, no fun
It's objectively the best 2D platformer of all time and BTFOs the other three games on the list

Why not shovel knight? it even got updated for free and they're going to add other 2 campaigns...

I didn't mean achievements. I meant I 100%'d all the levels with all the best ranks.

>SS Yotta
Hell yeah, my man.

I actually just missed some
N++>>Dustforce>>>>VVVVVV>>>super meat boy

Come on, Yotta is up to 122 people with SS completions worldwide.

He could totally be one of those.

Because it's fucking boring mainly.

Well, actually, I'm an extra of those people because I pirated the game

>super meat boy
>good
good lord, no wonder why western platformers suck donkey balls

I'm sorry you have terminal autism.
N++ has no level design, horrible mechanics, and some of the worst noise and aesthetic design i have ever seen in a video game.
it's far too slow, and is only frustrating to lose over and over. Except you never lose unless you play it for 50 hours first, because there are thousands of trashy, likely randomly generated easy levels with no learning process or worth whatsoever that come before what I've heard shitters describe as "HARDER LEVELS! IT GETS BETTER! YOU FUCKING RETARD I CANT BELIEVE YOU DONT WANT TO SIT THROUGH A BUNCH OF TRASH!!!11"

I've never played an n++ level that is interesting. Even when they happen to be tougher, it's just not worth it because the levels are so poorly designed it looks like a computer algorithm has made them. They are at most symmetric, but never take into account that perfect jump or two that gets you an incredible run, or that random obnoxious wall in the middle of nowhere that turns out to be the key to getting a time .5 seconds faster.

How could you possibly like n++ better than meat boy, if you aren't the dev or one of his many shills?

That's subjective

How well Dustforce flows is really determined by your skill level playing it.

The controls work really well at the top level, turning up and down into more meaningful buttons is both great for complexity and works intuitively.
Only weird thing is how dashing off walls (must press away -> dash) works differently than jumping off walls (just press jump), but when the devs tried to make them match up, the old guard of players complained because they were too use to the old way.

Really though,you have to remember that the game is momentum based.

More like the holy quadrinity of overrated indies amirite

It's not a pure platformer.
It uses platforming as a tool, it doesn't center the gameplay exclusively around it.
that's why things like cave story arent on here.
you said >>>super meat boy but you should try instead, i think it would work better for your taste.
hmm, waiting for a coherent reply. the only issue the game has is bugs. otherwise, it's literally perfect.

i guess i should just play more, and get way better, because that does look pretty incredible and smooth.
Originally i could barely play meat boy as well, it took time to master the controls.
god, it must feel fucking good to have dustforce become second nature. i fucking love when it feels like the keyboard is an extension of your body and you just know what it gonna happen at every moment.

>you said >>>super meat boy but you should try instead
I don't see the difference.

>boring and ugly protag

>short levels, that are tailormade for faggots with hands so greasy that they can't play perfectly for more than 10 seconds
>hideous backdrops

>level design goes to shit in a royal way in the last levels of dark world Cotton Alley because McMillen is an uncreative cunt

>the game is annoying as fuck to learn to play properly because gameplay is interrupted every 5 seconds when you are just trying to get a feel for the physics in claustrophobic as fuck levels

>no sense of risk and reward because you can't risk shit

>hardest levels are clusterfucks of missiles, cannonballs and those maw things that are best handled by bruteforcing trough them

>shitload of alt characters that are pointless because levels are not designed with them in mind

GOAT 11/9 indeed

Replace Super Meat Boy with Shovel Knight.

>How could you possibly like n++ better than meat boy, if you aren't the dev or one of his many shills?

Well for me I think terrible level design is prevalent in these precision platformers, I don't know why you are specifically blind to it when it comes to meat boy though.
I just like n's engine better

Umihara Kawase Shun, Rayman, and Sonic Mania want to have a word with you

Yeah, just keep at it.
Couple things to remember: Be mindful to jump before you slide off ledges, you don't want to eat your air charge right away.
When you're new, light attacks seem really good because they give you extra hang time to decide your next move. Really though, Strong attacks are generally better.
A super will clear all enemies and dustblocks within a circle centered on your character, but will only clear surfaces you have a line of sight to. It also gives you back your air charges.

Game progression is based on door type, not zone, although with the newest nexus layout you're less likely to stumble upon any gold doors way before you're ready for them.
Just try to clear the game out in tiers for the best learning curve.

The level design is actually incredible. And when you start to play more and unlock secrets and realize that there are actually a whole load of secret levels that maybe .5% of players will ever see, you realize how much passion was put into this game. Also, once you start going for G-- and T-- and T++ and start seeing all the crazy ways that levels can be completed and an early level that looks simple on the surface can double as an incredibly hard and well designed level when you go for G-- or T++, and you start peeling away the layers and see how that same level essentially has multiple difficulties that you would never even realize on your first playthrough.

I never play the shitty online levels. This game took six years to develop and most schmucks online can't compare in level design to Metanet. I find in most games with custom level designers that 99.9% of those custom levels are trash.

There is a ton of mechanics so that's why the tutorials is a lot of levels (even though it doesn't longer than an hour to complete), then you can either go down rows for a more gradual challenge or down columns for a more steep challenge. And keep in mind that even on the easiest tutorial levels that there is a huge focus on getting the best time and balancing getting the gold with your actual time.

N++ is more dynamic, it's more about thinking on the fly, avoiding a totally unique enemy pathing every run, managing your momentum and speed, etc. A great example of this is championship lode runner, one of the hardest levels in the game, and a level in which only one person in the world has got all the gold. It's simple in premise but the unique physics and momentum and rocket pathing make each run frantic and unique. It's totally dynamic.

It's just a difference in mindset from Super Meat Boy. They are both great platfomers but just have complete polar opposite physics, gameplay mechanics, and level design.

The mechanics of Dustforce is something I can't get through. It doesn't feel right to me.
In SMB I almost did the no-death Dark Salt Factory run; was getting a hang of the Hell as well. But dropped it after playing the game for over 70 hours.
VVVVVV is nowhere near as hard as the other two.
No idea what the N++ is about.

you just cherrypicked part of the roast, which was kind of a retarded thing to do. Not sure why. it's almost like how you n++ shitters cherrypick levels saying "IT HAS NUANCE" when it's for the most part garbage filler levels.

>as opposed to a stickman ninja, a blue pixel stickman
i'll give you that the janitors are better.
>liking platformers with long levels
it's like you enjoy hating yourself or something, or maybe the platformers you play are too easy and dont need denser checkpoints.
>dark cotton levels bad
what the fuck are you talking about
the only level that I think is trash is 7-19x because it required you to be much better at controlling the character than any of the others
sounds to me like you had some trouble with dark cotton, which is really just pathetic.
>i cant get the hang of the controls. BUT ITS BECAUSE OF THE LEVELS!
nope, you're just bad at video games. Sorry.
>doesnt feel the satisfaction of taking a massive skip that saves maximum .3 seconds on your time
hmm, someone's a platformer casual...
>bruteforcing anything in super meat boy
how? how??? this is why you are so bad. you probably dont strategize at all.
And none of the levels have clusterfucks of anything, everything is perfectly and reasonably placed. The one or two that have a lot of obstacles are really easy if you figure out the way of beating them.
>alt characters pointless
that's one of the worst opinions yet
you clearly just don't know how to play the game
you seriously don't understand how to use the other characters? They're all useful in different levels very effectively.
Theres even a warp you need commander video to get.
now that's unacceptable. again.
look here shovel knight is not a proper platformer.
meat boy has max 3 terribly designed level. n++ is at least 60% filler, bad levels.

thank you for being reasonable.
maybe n++ is good and I just haven't played it long enough.
i'll give it another chance, perhaps.
it just seems like all the fans are shitters who freak out when you say that the levels for the most part seem boring.

>I'm better at vidya so your points are invalid
fuck off, you're just too stupid understand when a flaw is a flaw

platformers are such an outdated genre. They're the next to last bastion of incompetent devs. There's my excuse for not having played any of them.

Really? What has replaced them oh great wise?

My nigga

>im a filthy fucking casual so i think my opinions are important
go back to playing skyrim, "brah"

>calls me casual
>defends 10 second levels
do you even understand irony retard?

>he calls his posts 'roasts'
I'm not even gonna try and insult super meat boy with this, you are just autistic as fuck

nothing, they don't need to be replaced, they need to be wiped out. Get guy from point A to point B is mindless. It has no value.

>Dustforce is Power
>Spelunky is Courage
>La Mulana is Wisdom

perfect

La Mulana is "difficult" in a retarded sense. Bullshit cryptic puzzles.

Kill yourself

Is there online multiplayer with N++?
N+ was great online.

I've never played any of these games, nor do I intend to

Also
>trinity
>4

Are they bullshit? I got pretty far in the game and they were a bit nonsense but solvable.
I can't say since I haven't finished it, but so far I'm walkthroughless

i don't think a precedurally generated game can be a platformer. sure there are platforms but that clearly isn't the focus, their goal was to make a sidescrolling roguelike

I bet you're the kind of guy who complains about games being too "video gamey". People like you are a blight on the industry.

you sure changed my mind, now I'll enjoy the types of games that you like and my horizons have been broadened, thanks for the discussion! These are the types of people that play platformers. They have zero critical thinking skills. All they want to do is the same tired mess they've been spewing for years.

>but so far I'm walkthroughless

Easy Mode is give up on walkthroughless somewhere in the Gate of Illusion. Although, it does have one forehead slapper of a puzzle in "Take a knee"
Normal mode is give up somewhere in the Chamber of Birth, which is really more like the chamber of bullshit.
Hard mode is don't give up till the home stretch of the game when you're searching for the last few necessary things you haven't done yet, like making the elixir.
Impossible mode is Hell Temple

You didn't want a discussion in the first place, fuckface. You wouldn't have started saying nonsense condiscending things like "it has no value" otherwise.

Now go back playing your cinematic artistic games, idiot.

Well I stopped playing a bit before I even start normal mode then.
I'll keep going though, and if I can't do it then the game has beat me, but I won't look at a damn walkthrough.

You'll probably end up beat.

Small hint: when it comes time to chant the mantras, just fucking brute force the puzzle.
The way you're suppose to figure out the exact locations is ridiculously obtuse and probably takes longer to do correctly than just manually visiting every screen in the game.

>N++
>bad level design
youtube.com/watch?v=M9mrUgY1YAg
youtube.com/watch?v=HunsRtC-TAw
youtube.com/watch?v=3uvAXaC8u50
twitch tv/xaelar1/v/89951759
twitch tv/xaelar1/v/89948422

I should mention that I'm playing the original freeware version, so I don't even know if the small hint would help the same

>indieshit
>trial and error mechanic

lol

Just like anything you want to learn?
Well I do notice a lot of new games are lacking the "error" part.

Trial and error isn't fun. It's tedious and boring. In a game like DKC you can quickly get the idea of how the game will flow. But VVVVVV and SMB throw random shit at you and you're expected to die.

You are supposed to die because you are not yet skilled in the game mechanics. In almost every case you can look at the level layout and quickly figure out the path to finish that level. The rest is the matter of proper execution.
If you want a true trial and error then go play I Wanna Be The Guy where you must die to figure out the level.

N++ isn't really trial and error. There are a few levels that are actually kind of annoying because you just need to know the enemy patterns and you just have to slowly learn the right path, but 95% of the levels are not trial and error at all.

>you need to figure out levels in SMB
not really, you only need to get proficient enough with the controls that you can "plan" 3 seconds ahead at any moment