Building myself a new rig and thinking about skipping Windows altogether

Building myself a new rig and thinking about skipping Windows altogether.

Linux users: what distro do you play games on?

Looking forward to it now that Rocket League is finally out on Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1
computerworld.com/article/3108380/windows-pcs/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>linux
>games
kek

If you want to play games you have to use Windows.

Linux is not for gamers. It is for developers.

The commercial games and drivers are mostly not compatible with Linux.

I like Debian testing desu
It all depends on what you want, bleeding edge packages? diamond stability? #justwerk shit?

kill yourself

Just dual boot with Wangblows being for games only.

dota 2 is on linux

which is all you need

I am a developer though, and If possible I'd want to avoid dual boot.

A distro where stuff MOSTLY just werks.

I wish I could still have fun with this game but I've been playing DotA since 2007 and I just feel done with it

Installing a non over autistic distro is easy. Try it. If you don't like it, install Windows 8.1 and turn off updates.

store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

other than undertale these are all good games

Why are Cred Forumsirgins so concerned about Windows spying on their insignificant lives?

Ah, in that case it really won't matter all that much what you pick if you are willing to work to make things werk. Seriously you should just dual boot for games though.

Why is windows so concerned about spying on our insignificant lives?

Because I don't want to be a product, if I wanted to be I'd earn a lot more as fuckboy hooker.

You can spot the ignorant because he is talking about privacy with win10, even though its not nearly the biggest problem with it.

If you want to avoid dual booting just use a VM

If you want your games to werk with zero hassle, stick with your basic Ubuntu LTS setup. Anything else is "unsupported" by most shoddy ports, though Valve's bundle of ubuntu 12.04 libraries that they inject nowadays usually keeps things running fine.

If you don't care about occasional problems, it's all smooth enough now that you can use any distro you like with any stability/configurability level you prefer. Debian unstable is a good middle ground between having the latest shit and having it not break.

Is the performance good though? I guess Wine + old games would do fine, I don't play many new games anyway

But then how will he get maxx speeds dawg?

Ubuntu, Fedora and openSUSE are the only things viable for gaming user.

SteamOS is the best on all accounts but it's horrible at literally anything but games.

LUL

Why do you care unless you're a mass CP trafiquer

Why a private company cares about my stuff?

Why do you care what they care?

>2K16
>even thinking about touching the abomination know as Windows 8 or 8.1
Fuckin shiggy

Because its MY and HIS stuff.

Not OP but is it possible to dualboot with steamOS and linux?

steamOS is just another distro of linux
you are silly

This.

Performance is fine, just have enough RAM

Because Windows can use the information to market to you. They also sell your information to other companies like Google and Amazon, too.

People will make the argument there is and NSA backdoor, and there probably is.

I mean, pretty much everything and everyone """spies""" on you, so nothing is yours these days.

Only a cuck can think like that.
The fact that everyone is trying to "take" these from us shows that its worth defending.

>linux
>gaming
Why would you put in twice as much effort to get something running at the same or less performance than Windows? Linux is like the worst aspects of PC gaming and console gaming combined. It takes longer to get everything running and 99% of third party features (the things that make PC gaming worth it) don't run natively. You just end up running everything in WINE, so what's the point?

I know that but I want the shill to answer and it's pretty obvious I don't want to become the object of targeted ads or want information about myself or my habits (even in an anonymous form) distributed online and to corporations.

Take out your wallet, it's mine now.

>VM
>to use wine

Just run them on the host machine nerdo

The day there is a WoW Linux client is the day I switch. Wine isn't acceptable.

Check out "GPU passthrough". I don't know the details, but it's some wizardry that allow the GPU to be used at near-full capacity by a VM.

>"take" these from us

Take what from "us" internet freedom fighter?

I sure hope you're not paying an telecommunications company to use the internet and post here, if so, gimme your house, it belongs to everyone.

> kill yourself

Did he lie, though?

How's that Street Fighter 5 port working out? WAIT SHIT.

How's that Battlefield 1 port working out? WAIT SHIT.

How's that For Honor/ working out? WAIT SHIT.

Guess you have to hope WINE will "emulate" Windows enough for you.

You.
Its okay if you are a spineless shit and you are completely fine with saying OK to being exploited in all possible ways despite only getting a bit of comfort and convenience in return.

Just don't preach to me about it.

>linux
>working
Thanks for the laff

You're the one preaching that it's only a problem when your precious computer does it but every private company that you pay and subscribe to has been doing it for years. Paranoia a bitch, but you keep fighting the good fight dude, they could be spying on you RIGHT NOW, so lay low, ok?

>Linux
>play games

Again, only dumb people get stuck on this like you are.
For a service you have to gather data to be able to provide it.
To sell a product you don't need to gather data.

Theres also a difference in degrees.

But I'm talking to a shit-wall, you wouldn't understand the slightest fucking thing about it because you are a stupid person, much like all people on win10.

>>y-you're just stupid!!
What an argument.

I'm enlighten thank you.

Linux is starting to get better in the gaming department but its not quite there yet. I just recommend you to dual boot windows.

Just use VMs for Linux development. Dual booting is such a pain in the fucking ass and Linux gaming is a lot less of a joke than it once was but still a pretty big joke.
I feel you on wanting to migrate to Linux full time but it's just not practical if you like to play a lot of games.

What did they mean by this?

>I feel you on wanting to migrate to Linux full time but it's just not practical if you likestuff working at all
Fixed

For most setups all the popular distros "just werk" these days though.
If you've got some obscure peripherals or engineering applications you depend on sure you're in for a headache but there's nothing difficult about using Ubuntu for regular tasks for years now.

If you use your computer to check emails, use Facebook and shitpost on Cred Forums Linux is fine. of course, the people that just do normie stuff on computers aren't going to use Linux in the first place, they'll use Windows or MacOS.

>16.04 .28%
The year of the Linux desktop is upon us

>develop kickass game on linux computer
>as soon as is complete magically doesn't work.
>install windows
>it works!

That's your logic right there user

test

>confirmed, linux is cancer with a cancer userbase

(OP)
The easy ones to setup everything are:
Debian
Mint
Ubuntu

I'm on Debian right now. Linux now has a lot of games but don't expect to have every game released for Linux.

None of those games are even worth playing
Kill yourself

>every game that doesn't work on linux is not worth playing!

Ah the usual argument when confronted with reality.

>builds a computer presumably for gaming
>installs linux

you're an idiot

First, SteamOS is linux
Second, yes, you can dual boot two distros.

I'm literally still waiting for that SFV Linux port, because SFV doesn't run great on my graphics card on Windows (Have to turn off V-Sync or the game is in slow motion). When I was on AMD, this was fine, but this Nvidia shit is overrated.

Arch is great for gaming. These kids should install that. You can trust me, I'm an anonymous poster on the internet.

>lolbabbs needing windoze to run their adobe air shitgame

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

Fuck
I'm still trying to get money to make a PC to play this game

Nobody talked about LeL, and DotA is just as cancer as LoL anyway, no matter what Dotababbies with superiority complexes say.

A fucking hackintosh will get you a better a gaming experience than linux

It's dead. If anything, go back and play one of the older WC3 versions so you don't have to play Dota: Literal Reddit Balance Edition.

Why is duel booting a pain?

I would have assumed VM would be more of a hassle over just having windows on one SSD and linux on the other

>2016
>not solely using Windows 7

I'm scared, when is it going to be outdated?

Hyper Light Drifter
DOTA 2

>not knowing MS is turning windows 7 into wingdows 10

computerworld.com/article/3108380/windows-pcs/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7.html

I can play TF2 and OpenRCT2 on Linux. That's all I ever need.