deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=64
youtu.be/hJn-jmL_hyo
youtube.com/watch?v=lk60ObnbIOk
youtube.com/watch?v=N3xoozdj8Lw&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is it so sad?

i love mountains in SE

Ok we all know NMS is shit so stop shilling this faggottry

No one even mentioned No Man's Sky you butthurt idiot. Space Engine threads were a common occurrence before that piece of trash was even announced. Stop trying to change the subject or fuck off.

SE threads have been a thing way before NMS.

>shilling his free game
lmao at least charge some money faggot

>trillions of planets in the universe
>b-but they are procedurally generated, gas giant, rocky, icy, it's just he same thing!

whats this game?

Space Engine

It's called Space Engine and it's technically not a game.

Is this actually possible? A planet so close to its star that you can see sun spots? Shouldn't the planet be melting?

Yeah because you only take screenshots lmao

>tfw fell for the space engine is realistic meme
You're worse than Sean Murray's henchmen

is there anyway to set the LandLOD higher than 2?

How do you get the suns look like that? Mine look just like glowing balls of light, i know it's realistic and all but it would be nice to see the surface too.

Not every star is the same temperature. Some are much cooler than others. It might not be possible, though. There's an attempt at realism in Space Engine, but the procedural generation is bound to create some things which shouldn't exist.

Edit the game's script? IDK

You'll need a military-grade tactical supercomputer if you want results.

Why are some of the suns still look like popcorn?
Specifically Orange/Red stars. I mean white and blue dwarfs look like actual spheres.

One method is to adjust the exposure.

I think the default controls are "," and "." for decreasing and increasing exposure, respectively, but you can also bring up the GUI buttons for exposure and magnitude if you mouse over the bottom-right corner of the screen/window.

Would this planet have different colored skies depending on which star was visible?

:^)

I found a hipster planet lel

So are we ever getting 3D foliage?

create a constellation with this

How is that hipster?

Too bad you cant name it...

In 3 years maybe.

Black holes still scare me but accretion disks help.

Nigga you can totally name procedural objects.

See:

space is literally a fucking reddit meme

>oh wow look at this star so cool, fusion is so epic
>look at these planets haha wow this one must be a gas giant
>they say the universe is billions of years old!!!!!
>[big bang theory reference]

go suck Carl Segan's cock

enjoy the buyers remorse, NMSfags

why is there an infinity stone floating in the middle of the crater?

>Right click object
>Left click "Info"
>Left-click "Edit"

Stop giving me tidally locked planets reeeeee

You first.

Tittally locked planets are cool though. They've got HUGE... tracts of ice caps.

What kind of atmosphere or mineral causes a planet to be bright pink?

Too bad you cant name it and show to everyone you discovered it...

Just leave already.

I just did.

Why are you posting off-topic?

2/3 you missed one samefag lmao

here's your (you), faggot

>being this butthurt
>unironically gives a (you) while making an ironic post about giving a (you)
(Fag)

No man's sky is a good game for that kind of stuff.

Shhhhh... they wanna be hip...

>people shitting on mods because PS4 doesn't allow them
>people shitting on space engine because of NMS

Is nothing sacred anymore?

It's Sunday and Nu-male Sky kiddies are triggered

>he doesn't have a 1st edition foil planet

everything for the yous

How the fuck do you guys get SE to look so good

>almost get a heart attack when trying to get close to a planet

Max out the LOD and just let it load.

Anyone getting crashes after pressing i on a number of galaxies? I want to know if this is something on my end or if this is a bug.

but you can catalog it and actually fly back to it :)

OP here. It's unfortunate that merely posting screenshots from some free planetarium software causes this much ass pain. If people want to discuss No Man's Sky instead, they should just create another thread for it.

Anyone know what to do when you get a blackscreen after looking at certain objects?

Open console and type "set LandLOD 2" and then just let it load a lot.

What does "i" do exactly?
Do you zoom onto them and fly through them?

The atmosphere doesn't cause the color. The procedural engine randomly picks a color based on probability. Pink and green are the rarest colors.

What are the best Ship models available?

someone post everything from deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=64

It opens up the wiki, I want to see how many stars a galaxy can have but it crashes after 10 or so times.

Aw shit nigga.

Recently I have found a system with four stars, two binary stars with one common barycenter.

red hypergiants have an uneven "surface". It isn't even a surface per se, it's just that i don't think any space engine can properly model what sun actually looks like.

How do you guys get such cool planet textures?

Everytime I "land" on a planet, the mountains are blurry hills and it's shit

What AA settings do you guys use?
I found out that when you take close shots on rings like in the x16 improves things but normally it looks same as a x2 AA.

Only crash issues I can think of are all related to loading stuff.
I don't know if it tires to actually load the whole galaxy before getting info on the number of stars.

Try changing loading mode to "Interleaved" with "/" from the default asynchronous one. It helped me when I had random crashes near stars/galaxies. Just try not to look at anything too close when going through immediate mode because it will probably freeze.

When taking a picture, turn up the LOD.
Use command "Set LandLOD X" for setting over value "1"
1 is mostly sufficient, because value 2 is very slow to load.

I wonder what's inside that

Hillary's correspondence.

This is apparently the core of a gas giant.

Nebulas are what makes the best screenshots

wew lad

Anyone here got the Steam version? It gets the updates earlier.
I was just reading the release post's comments and fuck me if this isn't accurate.

That's terrible man try harder

you tried

>tfw was speeding up time for this shot and the entire place went pitch black, apparently I didn't notice the huge moon that give an eclipse per day

that's piscis or aquarius

Especially if you fuck around with the luminosity settings.

>fly into a black hole
>suddenly get extreme anxiety

???

>all these great screenshots
>all I find are gas planets and samey mountains planets

>get close to some random galaxy
>see lonely tiny dot at it's edge
>it's actually a cluster of thousands stars

Space is scary.

You have to find the beauty withing the gas planets and samey mountains planets. Basically, angles.

What the fuck is wrong with these stars? They only appear in the milky way and they're so fucking bright.

>crash into a blue "ice giant"

>it's actually a gas giant

>the atmosphere is all kinds of pink and weird shit

>total panic and have to thrust to 1ly/sec closing my eyes to get out of there

I actually closed my eyes i kid you not, i don't get scared of jumpscare games but this shit hella fucked up with me

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh

I think I went too far.

I'm kind of jealous of you guys who get anxious playing the game, all I feel is comfy with a sense of wonder

MURPH

Shame when you are in spaceship mode you don't get pulled in by gravity.

Build a spaceship near one and try escaping it.
I dare you

I'm saying I can see them from everywhere. They shouldn't be that bright.

This looks more like a shit I took this morning rather than a sun. Is it realistic?

Looks like a synth album cover.

There any decent way to find a black hole with a bright accretion disk?

80's system

Go to the center of the galaxy, ctrl+g I think the keybind is

I wanna put my dick between those soft and supple stars.

sort of. It lacks animation
youtu.be/hJn-jmL_hyo

>tatooinewave

>tfw dance too close to a black hole and can't find your way out

Please help.

Are there any hidden settings in the game? I turned everything to ultra, LOD is at max but I can't find for the love of god a good planet with terrain and fog and sky like those in this thread. And no, I'm not that stupid to be looking only at ice giants or gas planets.

just for future references, is it ok to post Elite Dangerous pics in these threads? It's the closest I've seen to an Elite scenery thread and I don't have anywhere to post the screenshots I make

Give me black hole webm

Just redshift my shit up.

Three moons aligned nicely with their planet. Zoomed in to single-digit field of view for this. The default is 45 degrees, I think.

Did I fuck something up?

Not really, you just have to know kind of where to look. Edges of impact craters, on the sunset line, moons in eclipse, systems in nebulas, stars that aren't main sequence, etc.

How the fuck did he even make this?

>reddit faggots aren't a problem

HERE YOU GO MODS. LOOK AT THIS FAGGOT

russians are crazy like that

I don't think it will bother anyone, as long as you:
1) avoid confusion by mentioning that your screenshots are not from Space Engine
2) don't shitpost or act retarded like the No Man's Sky fans have done in this thread

WELCOME
TO
SPACE
SEX

So can anyone help, I'm positive something is wrong here.

Come into the light

All that curvature and depth is procedural right?

What do their systems look like?

Did you actually set "setlandLOD 2" with the console or just to 1 via the settings?
Also it's all about letting it load for a couple of minutes and choosing your angles correctly.

Most of the time you can only see the sun at sunrise or sunset so going off planet and looking for that spot where night meets day is a good place to start. Turn off clouds and atmosphere to look for mountains formations on a planet then zoom in there and let time pass until you can see the sun setting or rising.

You can also play around with the advanced luminosity and magnitude settings in the lower right corner to make certain objects stand out more.

this looks amazing

They don't actually know that black holes look like this up close right?

They're just guessing based on what they see through telescopes

Seems relatively normal, it's just I can see these stars from across the galaxy, and it really ruins the mood for some of the planets I find in the Milky Way

Pretty much.

>LOD only goes to 1

Example, this planet is from a star system from the other side of the galaxy.

only milky way has a proper representation of real world starmap, the other galaxies are generated and i think only solar system has actual data for planet surfaces

>long night of vidya
>getting really fucking tired
>decide to take a break
>go outside for a breather
>"huh clear sky"
>look up
>it's the goddamn milky way

This game is so terrifying

I've had weird glitches which cause objects to remain stupidly bright even after I fly away from them. I don't think I've ever seen anything like what you're posting, though.

What if you go to a different galaxy, close the program, start it back up, and go back to the Milky Way?

Are all luminosity/magnitude settings on default?
Have you tried going to another galaxy far, far away...?

That's actually a white dwarf, I have no idea why it looks like a black hole, not good at astronomy.

>People still post pics of NMS (an already shitty game) but with less content/interesting things to look at
Wow, you guys must love being shills.

Still there. Should I just reinstall?

>locations
>click Evaporating Planets

If you go to the planet you'll see that it has a high luminosity when you go to it's dark side. Means the planet is so hot, it's literally glowing.
>Is this actually possible?
Yes and no. The planet shouldn't be in existence anymore. Solar winds and solar flares would have torn it to bits.
But, if one could get close enough with dense enough sunglasses, yes.

>ctrl+f
>.webm
>0 results

Nice thread.

cool. I'll just add "Elite" to my posts then

why do indian ragas fit so well with space exploration?

youtube.com/watch?v=lk60ObnbIOk

N E W
E
W

There's no way out.
Not anymore.

Probably.
Or maybe just delete the settings/configuration file and let the game create a new one.

What's going on here? Storms eating each other?

i think he means SJW due to it having colored rings like colored hair and he just got confused because their styles are similar.

Kinda like how Cred Forums doesn't know what cucks or autism is.

In case of Space Engine panic attack:

F3
Earth
Go To

i actually agree with you to a point even though how you worded your shit is retarded.

It seems people say they are interested in SKIENX XD they are actually saying they like to look at the night sky and imagine space travelling.

Nigga fuck that shit

Hard mode:

>View Milky Way Galaxy
>Find Earth without the interface

its simple.

you are basically those guys from the GG SVU episode.

>Black hole advanced time so far that Earth was destroyed by the dying Sun
>Earth_Not_Found
>Panic

SJW is just as wrong though. It was a bad joke all the way around.

Wait. I just looked at it. This is FREE? Are you kidding me? Literally a better version of Elite Dangerous but without all the online stuff and no grind?

Just freely exploring the universe?

This just blew my fucking brains out

All these hours wasted grinding to be able to explore the galaxy in Elite, and this existed all along?

I wanna cry now

finally managed to make the homeworld ships to work with the new version

really makes you think doc...

How are you this new?

SE threads have been a thing on Cred Forums for the longest time.

No mother ship?

Well that seemed to fix it. Thanks.

Yes, yes, yes.

And it was all made by one Russian.

Dante Must Die mode:

>move at the speed of light

Bigger cyclone sucking up a smaller cyclone which is sucking in the smallest cyclone.

Or to be more accurate, the big one is disturbing the flow of air and water(?) particles in the atmosphere and the smaller one is doing the same to the smallest one but to a lesser degree.

untill a few months ago I only browsed Cred Forums (I know, it sucks), the few SE threads I've seen I ignored them because I didn't have a PC untill about a month and a half ago and because I didn't know it was free

>Shilling a Free game
???

most definitely

Yeah I am not spending, at the bare minimum, twice the age of Homo Sapiens looking for a goddamn virtual representation of our planet.

Anything dense enough will have gravitational lensing.

>boot Space Engine for like 15 mins
>suddenly felt all lonely and empty inside

It's free?

F R E E
U N I V E R S E
S I M U L A T O R

It actually takes only 100,000 years for light to get across the Milky way.

looks like shit

Is there a guide on the forum for starship general tips? Are you actually supposed to use them constructively or are the just props really?

why is the light so slow? Wake me up when a new universe is born with a light that gets around

Yeah but you'll have to actually search for it. It's not like you're gonna go across the galaxy once and go:
>"oh shit i found it"

In reality it would take, without any previous knowledge of star maps, literally millions if not billions of years

Of course you would. It basically shows you how fucking insignificant you are and that music isn't helping either.

what graphics give me the prettiest things?

recently wiped my PC, going to download this game again just for the heck of it

Any good ships for flying on planets?

Random planet with mountains
Milky May at night
Exposure 2.5
Mag Limit 8.8

Assuming you could instantly move between and check each star in the galaxy in a second, it would still take you somewhere between 3000-10000 years to check all of them and that's not even counting their orbiting planets.

Whoa

Just realized 0.9.8.0 is out, gonna download it now

>Try changing loading mode to "Interleaved" with "/" from the default asynchronous one.
How can I do this exactly?

I think he means "/" is the key you push to change the loading mode.

wtf man

>the key you push to change the loading mode.
Holy fuck I'm stupid.

Well it's a weird key bind desu.

I wish I could record video with the framerate going to shit. I was sitting on this planet for a while with time accelerated and the shadows of the rings and the moons fling past looked really cool.

The hell is that?

Have you ever witnessed a diffuse of pure darkness

super large black hole

>guessing
They make models and have equations using data and general relativity/optics that help simulate what they probably look like. Not really guessing.

Nvidia shadowplay is the way to go, it's awesome, I just downloaded the game (I'm this user ) and tried to record a little vid ingame, framrate went intantly to unplayable levels

Then tried with shadowplay and not a single FPS drop

Will post vid in 15 minutes to prove (it's uploading to Youtube)

holy shit this game is like Wallpaper Generator 2016

Where do I go next?

youtube.com/watch?v=N3xoozdj8Lw&feature=youtu.be

youtube compresion fucked it up but you get the idea

What's your LOD at?

I have Windows cycling through my Space Engine screenshots folder for a new desktop background every hour. Every time I take a new screenshot, it gets added to the slideshow.

It's unfortunate that Windows 7 insists on compressing PNG screenshots to JPG when you use them as desktop backgrounds. It's just one of those "fuck you" features of Windows. A common workaround is to use Internet Explorer to set the background image, which is then uncompressed, but this method doesn't let you select more than one image.

There's no "game" but if you just want to look at things in the universe then it's probably the best software you'll find.

Not mine, This one is.
But my game has 2, but saw people having 3 or more.

>land con comfy planet
>watch the day night cicle and set yourself in a good spot
>let the time run and at the same time use dxtory or fraps for timed screenshot lapse
>capture 24hs timelapses from at least 6 planets
>set it to change every 10 seconds
Best backgrounds ever.

You have to go into some config file to increase it past 1, right? My slider only goes up to 1.

how do I get my LOD past 1?

That's a pretty neat idea.

3 screen layout

type in the console "set LandLOD 2"

no idea how to get it past 2 tho

Well no, i can increase it up to 2 in the options menu, and also with quick keybinds.

And saw people increasing it to 3 with keys, maybe they are older versions, i dont know, im on the 0.9.7.4

What's the deal with "Real Planet/Star Brightness"? I read about it in the space engine forums but still don't really get it.

I opened again, and guess what, now its on 1, and cant go past it.
WTF.

Seems like I have a new wallpaper setup

I wish I was at home. I have a huge folder with webms and screenshots

You obviously watched that stupid Cred Forumsyktar video you dumb kike, stop inadvertently shilling his garbage, and by all things saying that no mans sky is good. what the fuck is wrong with you.

Who the fuck is whoever you're talking about?

I found a star system in one of those. IT was spooky

I do the exact same thing, though on 8.1 and I don't know if it does compression on what you set as backgrounds.

How computer intensive is this?

You can set it to play on toasters, or crank it up to reach 30fps with a titan X.

How do I get textures to look as beautiful as they do in some pictures? Someone suggested turning the landLOD up to 2, but I haven't seen much of a difference.

Will the textures be better when I launch the game next or do I just have to wait 20 minutes or something?

Post a screen of your graphic options.

The orbits around the left star shown here would get totally fucked by the other star coming so close, right?

Usually, when I see planets in a binary system, they're close to one star (with the other star far away) or they're orbiting both stars at a huge distance.

I think I mostly left the defaults which may be skewed since my hard drive used to be in a shitty laptop and my computer gets confused sometimes.

Also, I used the command line to set the landLOD to 2.

Not necessarily.
What mass do the stars have? You can also speed up time to see what's going on with them.

Just got the game. Anything fun to do besides finding black holes?

Also OP, how do you get the stars to be visible when your that close to a planet?

This game is absolutely breath-taking.

Turn off auto-exposure

I think the diamond shown in the image is the center of gravity of the two stars. Orbits going past that is probably a good indication that the orbits aren't possible. The outermost planet would be pulled more toward the other star than the one it's supposedly orbiting, and the other orbits would be perturbed so much that, eventually, the planets would probably be launched into space.

Space Engine Vs Subnautica

Which game makes you shit your pants in anxiety more?

Subnautica
Space Engine just amazes me

Could you give the coordinates of that? I wanna look at the same thing and see if my graphics are set properly, because nothing looks that sharp for me.

God damn it I just found an awesome volcanic planet and when I hit F11 to cap it the damn thing crashed. ;_;

If you load again you should still be in the last location you went to.
Even if you aren't, that location is saved in your traveling log so you can always go there.
It's one of the icons on the left. I think it's shaped like a notebook or something.

"Tab" opens up the journey log, as well.

Thanks.

Anyone know why moving a little bit will make that mountain to the right disappear and reappear? Kind of annoying trying to get a good shot of it... even if I stay still sometimes it just glitches out of existance.

Any time I do LandLOD 2 and switch to immediate loading (or just randomly in LOD 2) it crashes. I'm running on a 6GB 980 Ti. I just want my screenshots :(

>Implying these dumb posters actually go on Reddit.

You know their just ignorant new fags right?
That guy didn't even sound Reddit.

dat color

What version is everyone running? 0.9.8 here.

>The outermost planet would be pulled more toward the other star than the one it's supposedly orbiting

Oh wait, this is wrong. I'm stupid.

I'm looking at the image more carefully now and obviously those planets are orbiting the more massive star so it's possible for a system like this to exist. I still think the orbits wouldn't be stable, though. They'd get messed up pretty quickly.

Even if NMS turned out to be shit i'm still excited to get it on sale once it has ansel so I can make stupiedly large 10,000,10,000 screenshots with it like I do with SE