Why is Sega not as popular or revered as Nintendo?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KMiBYPqrTZg&index=4&list=PLFB95BCEB3D9F5DD0
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stopped making consoles.

Sega Saturn destroyed their brand.

Because Nintendo is what Genesisn't.

Because Nintendo fanbase is more autists than Sega one

Nintendo didn't stop localizing everything but Mario, and Nintendo didn't go third party while shitting out the worst Mario games anyone had ever seen for two generations straight.

I mean, looking at those titles, how many have seen a new game in the last five years? Last ten years? Hell, if it wasn't thanks to the recent 3D Classics releases and porting to Steam, almost none of them would've even seen a release on any current gen system... and that includes current PC OSs.

It's not just fanbases, it's general popularity. People credit Nintendo for inventing video games or "saving" them even though they didn't really do anything substantial.

Why is Zelda or Mario so popular and well-known but Virtua Fighter and Golden Axe aren't?

>that picture
>Nintendo is literally the best of all worlds

>stopped making consoles
>last one bombed
They also made a sonic game that was really bad and everyone meme'd it hard for several years, especially IGN. Anyone not familiar with Sonic and SEGA but have seen these memes have forever associated SEGA with Shit.

Also the only thing we here in the states get is Sonic games. No one born in todays generation has even heard of these old games without someone telling them.

Sega produces bad games, they cling to Sonic desperate to be relevant.

Because they started copying the competition.

Why do you need to rehash your IP's?

That's exactly why I've always loved Sega. They've always been at the forefront of innovation and never dawdled in one place. They were always unique and forward-thinking.

They have very few people who were there at their prime compared to Nintendo.
They weren't on the scene as early as them, and they left the console race ages ago now.

Sure they put out a fair amount of games still, but it's not the same.

Out of all of those franchises, Sega nowadays focuses on maybe a handful of them.

FPBP

Because they won't make a new Jet Set Radio so fuck them.

Sega's fanbase contains the Sonic fanbase, your opinion is factually wrong

>any fanbase more autistic than the Sonic fandom

>They have very few people who were there at their prime compared to Nintendo.
Sega's prime was the Dreamcast and that was only 17 years ago.

That doesn't explain why kids today revere Nintendo so greatly but don't give Sega the time of day.

Stop being such a Pretendo

What said.
Also I would attribute it to the majority of youtubers, who seemed to have only owned nintendo consoles. The fact is that people (kids especially) spend more time on the internet then they do actually playing videogames. Which is why we're in a situation like this Although, to be fair, Nintendo did play a very large part in restoring consumer confidence in the console gaming market. So while saying "Nintendo saved gaming" is definitely a stretch, it's not an outright lie.

Sega weren't Nintendo. They didn't shit out a million rehashed sequels of the same couple IP's.

They always made new addictive games.

That's business, some win and others lose. Sega lost, get over it already. Also actually buy the HD rereleases and shit of stuff that you guys beg for and then ignore when they actually do so once in a blue moon.

Nice thumbnail.

And that would be fine... if Sega had been making and localizing new IPs as well. But they didn't put out new IPs any more than they put out old IPs. It was just Sonic, Sonic, Sonic. And now Project Miku - although that isn't exactly a Sega name - and the one other thing they were localizing recently.

At least the Sega 3D Classics and Steam games, as I mentioned, are putting older titles out again. It looks like Sega is finally getting their head out of their ass, and we might see a Yakuza game or if we're lucky, some Shenmue ports when S3 comes out. Sega does some pretty good stuff, it's just that they were terrible with management decisions for the longest time.

>That's exactly why I've always loved Sega. They've always been at the forefront of innovation and never dawdled in one place. They were always unique and forward-thinking

You mean when they had their 4 shitty pillars?
Sonic
Aliens
Soccer
and some other bullshit that I can't even remember.

Or when they stopped localizing Yakuza and VC games?

Yeah that was very forward thinking.

Because sega was dead by the time gaming became le quirky im so nerdy xd vidya games

I love this

>They didn't shit out a million rehashed sequels of the same couple IP's.

Because about 10 sequels in 25-30 years is "shiting out a million sequels," while yearly or bi-yearly garbage is praised or highly anticipated.

Why do people only do this for SEGA? But for Smash Nintendo ignores the majority of their IP catalog too

No they'd just abandon a franchise after 1 or 2 games instead

They fucked up.
They rushed in to portable gaming. Game gear was pretty cool. too bad it was huge and that battery life.
Genesis was great...than they kept it on life support with add ons.
After that they went into panic mode Saturn was mess.
Dreamcast while it has wonderful games and was a powerful system that forged online console gaming it was very niche. PS2 had too many great games plus it was the cheapest dvd player.

I see it as less of a
>why won't sega use these IP's
and more like a
>look at all these IP's that Sega is responsible for

>reposting the nonfunctional tower
like a true meme loving fuck

It's because of stuff like Smash that people don't say the same about Nintendo.

Sega should totally bring Fighters Megamix back actually.

And you're implying that's bad?

Yu went from Hang-On to Ouytrun to Virtua Fighter to Shenmue.

That's called variety, guy. It's also called innovation.

Sega was strong in the arcade days, but never really transitioned into modern gaming very well. The modern stuff they do is mostly just published under their name, not actually created.
Ever since they dropped out of the console race they gradually lost their image of being one of the very big names in video games.

Nintendo not only transitioned well into modern gaming, but also helped shaping it. While Sega's popularity as the grittier, more mature console maker was overtaken by the Playstation, Nintendo found their own niche and revolutionized 3D game design with stuff like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

Also, Sega is really passive these days in the west. So obviously they wouldn't be as popular as Nintendo, who pump out games of a rather consistent quality in the last decade. (Even if you do not like them you have to agree that Nintendo's main games are usually quite polished. Sometimes maybe too polished.)

Nintendo fucks up a lot, but it never fucked up in a sonic 2006 fashion

>And you're implying that's bad?
Yes

point stands.
CD
32X
Master System port
Modem

this pic reminds me of my unfinished jacket.

Honestly it was more the 32X's fault. Trying to maintain a genesis add-on plus the saturn really divided their resources and made both failures.

You got Taito but don't forget Hudson.

>dropped two of the items
>still insisting Master System adapter should be installed at all times let alone the incredibly niche modem
gb2 AVGN

Not him but I think it was both desu.
Sega jumped the gun on their Saturn release and damaged 3rd party relations as a result. Not to mention all the good Saturn games that were kept in Japan.

The Saturn would've been more successful if it was managed better.

Lots of mismanagement in the later 90s especially due to Sega of America fucking things up for them in the west on top of rushing to the next gen where their hardware would go on to be underpowered and easily pirated on.

The real question is how Nintendo's still going strong right now.

>Ignoring the hundreds of trophies
>Ignoring the thousands of stickers in Brawl
>Ignoring that stages like Fucking Wrecking Crew got a stage
>Ignoring the Chronicle in Brawl which had EVERY fucking game Nintendo has made up to 2008

yeah, it's kind of hard finding emblems. I gotta go through ebay since companies don't make the emblems themselves. I'll try to put more japanese brands.

Yeah like I said, but for Smash tehy ignore the majority of their IP catalog too. No one actually considers any of that shit equivalent to a new game for those IPs.

stop.
Sega fucked up. that is why they failed.

Even with just the 32X and CD that is more confusing to the consumer than anything else. WiiU has the same issue. it confused the fuck out of the normal consumer.

I think they pretty much cover all their relevant IPs.

WEW

Nobody contests that they failed. You just picked a shit image.

Just how butthurt is the maker of this. He's well informed but this shit doesn't matter.

How many of that shit is nintendo usually get wrongly credited? Never see people credit Nintendo for shit like first touch screen or first start button. Not that it matters who first invented the shit.

Shining Force I and II are definitely better than all the Fire Emblems put together.

Because I recognize less than 10 of those

>Found clean vector art of Rhythm Thief's logo

WHERE. I'VE LOOKED EVERYWHERE.

Now try it with thing people actually give a shit about, you'll be surprised to know its less then Nintendo.

Sega's death is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming. Soon after, everything went to shit.

>____ isn't worth mentioning because I'm underage
nice

This. Also even the pic in OP is missing quite a few of my favorite Sega IPs.

wtf is space harrier,outrun,chu chu rocket, rez

Microsoft has been carrying the torch proudly though with their focus on gameplay and multiplayer. Forza and PGR were a good substitute for Sega GT and Tokyo Xtreme Racer.

It's just unfortunate EA hasn't done much with their NFL license compared to Sega with NFL 2K and ESPN

Because Sega is somehow even more idiotic than Nintendo.

Stopped for good reason, Saturn and dreamcast sold very poorly

Arcades are dead
casual gaming is in

You forgot their best IP

january 31 2001 was the 9/11 of gaming tbqh

>implying

Cause Sega doesn't know how to mass market their games. Their most popular game(Sonic) only because as big as it did because Sega of Amereca did subtle marketing blitz on the market.

There is reason why game developerment budget has almost 70% of the budget goes to marketing.

>Implying sega has anything besides sanic

The fucked up the Saturn super hard.
It's legendary how poorly handled the Saturn was.

still sold more than the wii u though :^)

What's your favorite SEGA ip?

Nintendo also had those bullshit licensing practices that stated if you released a game on their NES you weren't allowed to publish games on competing consoles. That's why Nintendo had such strong third party support from guys like Konami and Capcom.

People complain about Lip and Starfy all the time. Advance Wars as well.

There is always somebody obsessing over some irrelevant shit, all it takes is to start posting here for us to notice it.

From what I can tell with a google search it seems to be about the same.

shenmue even though it technically isnt theres anymore. its still pretty cool how yu suzuki
literally just asked for the ip and sega just gave it to them.

Because almost every one of their IPs either dies withing its console generation, became JAP only, remained arcade only despite arcades dying in the west or was stuck only getting re-released a 100-times-over on compilation disks instead of getting new games. Nintendo kept bringing over more than just Mario and a few new IPs.

Without a doubt the king.

youtube.com/watch?v=KMiBYPqrTZg&index=4&list=PLFB95BCEB3D9F5DD0

>tfw we will never have another shinobi game

did the right kid die?

There is one for the 3ds.

No, Sega was the only one that didn't deserve to die.

That's because Yu was their biggest moneymaker. They recouped their losses from Shenmue thanks to Virtua Fighter.

Shenmue is the greatest anomaly of the gaming industry and without a doubt the most ambitious series ever created. Sega gave it their all with the Dreamcast, but they just couldn't hold on. The consumer failed them unfortunately.

because despite all of the great IP in OP they decide to keep rereleasing sonic garbage

can we just get a new jet set radio for fuck's sake

Try listening the nintendo ips people care about and count them

i wish microsoft didnt join the console market and focus on pc gaming like they were suppose to

Now if only some of those great games got proper sequels.

Depends where.
Maybe childish and autistic amerilards like shittendo more, but sega made quite a lot of good games and is much more popular in more intelligent countries

Is Sega still too poor to make big games outside of Sonic?

>i wish microsoft didnt join the console market
Why? They've made the most powerful consoles since they've entered and have carried Sega's torch by focusing on gameplay foremost.

^listing*

no, Sega of Japan isn't but will barely give anything to Sega of america to help with which is why over in burgerland Sega's only good Sonic and thanks to entry level weebs, Miku

Its a massive conflict of interest for the supposed steward of the PC platform to be wasting its time with consoles, and it has without question damaged gaming as a whole and Microsoft themselves.

Think about where Bungie would be today if Microsoft hadn't bought them out, killed all their IPs but Halo and turned them into a console-first dev shop.

I'm sensing a sonygger/nintendildo vibe coming from you.

Its hard to say but Jet Set Radio, Billy Hatcher, and Samba de Amigo are up there
The racing game they put out was pretty good too

>The real question is how Nintendo's still going strong right now.
Smart business decisions during the 2000s. Good games. A dedicated fanbase.

>no new Shining Force games that get brought to the West
WHY

Why are the Platinum IPs that are only published by Sega listed as Sega IPs? Why not list stuff like the Atlus IPs that are published by Sega then?

SEGA died in 2004.

We wish it didn't but it died.

Not OP but I'm assuming it's because Sega actually owns those IPs, I'm not sure if they owned any Atlus ones.

Atlus owns all its IPs. No idea if Sega owns anything by Platinum, though.

No, it got into a Coma. Then came back with new stuff

>Coma
No, it actually died.

I never understood why the saturn had such a strong catalog in Japan but nowhere else. Did they really not think that Castlevania SotN wouldn't sell well or something? I mean, in retrospect it might have actually boosted the consoles sales with a masterpiece like that on the system.

They just didn't localize anything, cause they were so damn sure none of it would sell. they even turned down SotN.

At the time, sega was the most deserving of death. With their piss poor management of the 32X and the saturn, consumers were wary of purchasing sega devices again, even though the Dreamcast was probably the console with the best potential of the four at that time.

They spent the later half of 1990s and all of the 2000s trying to get their IPs to lay another golden egg. After giving up 6 years into the 2010s they're going to let their fans figure it out (Sonic Mania)

In 2016 that sounds fucking crazy because in hindsight, SotN was Konami's masterpiece and I use that and Metal Gear as examples of what Nintendo lost when they all jumped ship to the Playstation. I know that there were a boatload of shmups that the saturn had and for some reason sega figured those weren't popular over here. The saturn remains a mystery to me.

>not listing fantasy zone yet you list rhythm thief
wew

Not like anybody cares about either.

probably because they only send their shitty part of games to western community.

>dreamcast sold very poorly
Sega sold more than 225k units in 24 hours and got about $90 million dollars in sales. They sold over 500k in 2 weeks. That's pretty fucking amazing coming off the Saturn bed shitting.

It sold only slightly more than the Wii U.
Granted that was in 3 years time, but still. The PS2 killed all of the DC's momentum.

They own Bayonetta

made great fuck ups than nintendo

>The PS2 killed all of the DC's momentum
I disagree. While the impending PS2 launch didn't help, I think Sega ultimately killed all the DC's momentum. First off it used GD-ROM as opposed to the at the time new DVD format. So not only were the DC games gimped for space on the discs, the DC itself couldn't play DVD movies like the PS2 did, and as anyone from that time can tell you DVD players were expensive as fuck but the PS2 was cheaper than most players on top of it's ability to play vidya and connect online. Then there's the technical aspect, the PS2 pretty much overpowered the DC in both CPU and GPU processing, but really Sega could've made up for that in other areas just like Nintendo did with the Wii. Then the whole Sega Japan vs Sega America shit didn't help at all, and that's what happened to the Saturn. There was just so many self inflicted wounds Sega never really had a chance. They were used to fighting Nintendon't back in the early 90's but they were outclassed by Sony in the later years. Dayum shame.