Half-Life

Saw someone mention Half-Life a little while ago and felt like replaying the games. Just finished, and hot damn those games aged well. Feel like talking about em.

Favorite parts? Lease favorite parts? Wishes for the future?

Pic related, whatever they do, I hope nothing is ever explained about the G-Man. I definitely don't want him to ever be a boss or something. In sci-fi, whenever something is shrouded in an obscene about of mystery, the explanation is often pretty anticlimactic and/or too ridiculous (ex. Lost, Battlestar Galactica). He's framed all the games narratively, and whenever they do end the franchise I can't think of a better way than him having the last line being something like "It's been a pleasure working with you, Dr. Freeman."

I think a big strength of these games is pacing and gameplay variety. You're in a new place/playing with new mechanic for just long enough that it stays fun without becoming boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-PlF1XSA4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DOOOOOOOOCTOOOOOOOR FREEEEEEEEMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

I wonder if the advisors have other forms, or they are always larvae

Favorite part? Probably the fight underground in e1. Very intense with zombies everywhere

>Wishes for the future?
. . .

What if Half-Life 3 really never comes out?

its coming, there are already tons of leaks about HL3, L4D3, source 2

The Strider battle at the end of Episode 2 is probably my favorite part of the series. Since every other encounter with them was always this desperate dash to find a rocket crate, it was satisfying to one shot those things.

>mfw the first time I did it

>Pic related, whatever they do, I hope nothing is ever explained about the G-Man
But valve doesn't know who G-Man is. The entire Half-Life plot was built on the fly and was never premeditated.
This is the sole reason why Half-Life 3 never was.

Valve simply thinks single-player games aren't worth making. They see how huge of an impact multiplayer games have, how much people want to gamble on crates and shit, and realize that single player games will never be as big. HL3 will literally never happen unless their mindset changes.

So it might happen, only once Gabe finally dies.

Valve still has a large staff of game developers, they are bound to work on something.

Honestly, there is no way they could NOT screw up HL3 now. With the massive wait we've had everything will be disappointing even if it is the second coming of Jesus himself.

I don't blame valve for that, I blame the legions of idiots who turned "lel DAE think half life 3 is sure taking a while XD XD" into a massive joke. If we had all just collectively forgot about it and then only remembered before it came out we wouldn't have built up all these mental expectations.

It's a darn shame, beccause it is one of my favourite stories in vidya and it has to end on a fucking cliffhanger now.

Whatever happens, I will be pissed if they remove any of the mystery surrounding G-Man, and I think
>"It's been a pleasure working with you, Dr. Freeman."
Will be a top-tier ending line.

I will not say that you have been sleeping on the job

do you think it will be as shit as duke nukem forever

God bless you user. I want to cry at the thought of those games never coming. I love source games.

>Wishes for the future?

Even if it is 11/10 GOAT it will still be disappointing due to the sheer amount of retarded meme-hype that has been built around it.

DELET THIS

Don't please. I will cry.

It's going to be a VR game

Once you know who are his "employers" all mystery will be gone.

THe thing I like so much about the GMan is he's basically some middle management office drone, yet his presentation adds so many layers of darkness and mystery to him. You could put any generic office talk in his voice and it would still be unnerving.

>I musssst say I am pleased by yourrrr recent... performance Doc-tor Free-man. But now I'M a-a-fraid I have, to meet my employers. iiiiif you need me... well... you know where to find my office.

>playing Black Mesa
>Ambush scene
>This starts playing youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-PlF1XSA4

I was completely okay with dying a few times because of how hyped the music got me every time.

While i think it could have used a bit more polish to make it feel more "alive" and "lived in" like the beginning lab section. I actually liked the Xen levels.

Anyone have that youtube video where a guy reveals some sort of leaked Source 2/HL3 code involving ziplines? It looked like a planned HL3 feature was/is to connect a wire between two points and then zipline between them, WITH THE CROWBAR.
Imagine how fucking cool that would be in VR.

fav part?
we don't go to ravenholm
first time played it when I was 10, shat my pants, but passed it.
I really don't have a least favorite part, the game is freaking perfect
yes, they shouldn't explain anything about G-man

I like the idea of Gordon Freeman dying at the end along with Alyx's dad, leaving everything to Alyx and Dog.

I've always wondered what happened next.

Can we all agree that the last level of HL2 is very lackluster and anti-climactic? It's just more of the same blue gravity gun shit you've already been doing up to that point

Yeah but the end of Ep2 is dicksmashingly awesome.

One shotting striders that have been giving you grief and raping you for the last 2 games? Yes please.

>The larva form is already so dangerous that Gordon is completely helpless 1vs1 against it
>It's implied they haven't even hatched yet

You know this can't end well.

As long as Barney doesn't die I'm cool. Bros4life

Reminder that Breen was never some hero who had to make tough decisions.

That rat was in contact with the Combine long before the war and helped orchestrate the Black Mesa incident alongside G-Man, paving the way for their invasion of Earth and his position as the ruler of it. He sold out all of humanity.

Brb gonna replay Half-Life 2 and pretend Breen is 2nd term Hillary and city 17 is Detroit

Not even the Combine could make Detroit any worse than it is now, it already resembles City 17 during the uprising.

The Ravenholm level was definitely one of my favorite parts: it was simple, scary, and yet awesome all at the same time

>Lease favorite parts?

the poor weapon variety, lack of ammo and low ammo capacity (18 rounds for the magnum??), and generally low damage, as well as weak weapon sounds (the usp match is the worst offender, but the mp7 and combine automatic rifle are shit too) makes it so unrewarding to play. like, i get they wanted to incentivize the gravity gun, but shooting just sucks ass compared to half-life.

also, all the areas with scripted enemy spawns, especially when they drop in from above, are shit

>tons of leaks about HL3

and every other time this has happened in the last decade plus, it has been a relic of a long-abandoned prototype

there is no HL3, and there never will be.

valve created those expectations by taking so fucking long

instead of never releasing anything that isn't "perfect" they could have made some fun games set in the hl universe with nutty scifi shit, instead of memeportal and memeportal 2 and weapon skins and weapon crates and trading cards and shitty steam sale ARG bullshit

"perfect" really just means sterile in my opinion