Your opinion on DOOM

Your opinion on DOOM.
Do you think it will ever be a big game? I like the multiplayer, but very few people seem to play it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not interested in online, but the campaign was A++, one of my favorite games of the year

Best game of the year in a shite year so far.

campaign was really good yea. I'm just worried in the multiplayer sadly

In the campaign, can you only kill people with special qte kills?
Or is it optional and you can gun down anyone like classic doom

It's a fine shooter that has more in common with painkiller and quake than doom

Looking forward to the arcade mode since it's going to get rid of the stupid upgrade system and all the other superfluous non-sense that just ruins the pacing

you can kill with guns, no problem

Thanks, was confused whenever i try to look up gameplay videos

>arcade mode
Is this a thing or are you just yanking my crank user?

Pretty good singleplayer. I tried the multiplayer beta and absolutely hated it, but decided to give it a shot after finishing the singleplayer and now that I have the hang of the movement I actually really like it. A shame there's not too many people playing.

I love the MP and try to play it as much as possible but yeah it is fucking terrible how the only match you can find now, only 4 months after release, is Team Deathmatch

However, once they release deathmatch next week, I'm sure the numbers will rise

Either way, there'll probably be enough players in that mode for me to just spend hours and hours fragging noobs in FFA matches on that sweet new engine

I refuse to believe you're being serious

It is a big game.
The new direction is fantastic, it's just lacking something. Variety or something. It's just kill everything over and over, which is cool but a bit exhausting.
The weakest part was the music, by far. rockstep wub wub with guitars was fucking awful. Doom is metal, it's purely metal, the game is metal, period. Using any other type of sound track would be like using a boyband to present the next Star Wars movie, sacrilege.

I never touched the muliplayer, it looks as old as time it's self. I often ignore good multiplayer FPS, an old fashioned one is just fucking useless to me.

Doom 2016 is the near perfect Doom everyone want's. A few tweeks and it will reach perfections. Then be bought out by EA and will be changed to an RPG with a romance/revenge plot about how Satan killed his wife and raped his dignity, which would be an allegory to everything EA does with its franchises. But at least they will have something to compete with Mass Effect, because fucking over one audience is a great idea when you could just make a new fucking IP you dumb fucks.

It's a thing, go look it up

It adds a scoring system, you get to pick which fully upgraded mods/runes you want and the levels are no longer going to have any "cutscenes" or other dumb stuff that just gets in the way of going around shooting things

Personally I thought the singleplayer was missing a human element. You never so much as see another living person that isn't Hayden or Pierce, and you arrive well after the shit has hit the fan so all you're doing is wading through corpses the entire game. At least in Doom 3 you're there when things first go wrong so there are other people around to react to what's happening, plus 3 had text logs from survivors and other UAC personnel that helped flesh out the game.

That sounds amazing for multiple play throughs.

Damn
I shouldve picked up the game for 20 bux. But still that install size is huge for PS4

It's worth the space when you see the graphics to be honest

This is something I felt too

There's something unnerving and unpleasant about the facilities of Doom 4's UAC, Doom 3 had a more lived-in and more human feel

Doom 3:"Dude! Where's my flashlight?" was a weird hybrid FPS/horror. The characters and logs drove a narrative that had no business being there in the first place. At it's purest Doom 2016 has an almost identical plot of Doom 3; mad scientist pissing off hell and getting wrecked and then the space marine beats hell, fin.

Nothing was lost in the translation between the two games because no one was interested. Doom is not Silent Hill or Resident Evil, it's fucking Doom. Rip and tear, Big Fucking Gun, You must have huge guts!, etc, etc.

The human element exists to drive a narrative. A strong narrative is not needed in Doom, maybe a little more variety in gameplay. If they added a sidekick, like Alex Vance in HL2, it would ruin the game.

I definitely think Doom 3 and Doom 2016 will inevitability be compared to each other a lot, and like you said, the plot of both games is pretty much the exact same thing. But that's because they're both modern takes on the original Doom, so partly that's unavoidable.

I'm not sure if I agree that a strong narrative has no place in a modern Doom game. Maybe the best way to deal with that is to offer an Arcade mode like the one discussed in this thread from the start, so that both camps can be pleased.

Goty so far.
Delivered to newfriends and jaded oldfags. Only people who didn't like it were contrarian autistis.
MP doesn't mean shit, obviously.

Waiting for sequel because doomguy is like Godzilla. He just keeps coming

>MP doesn't mean shit, obviously.

t. brutal doom autist 15 year old who doesn't know how important and fun original doom multiplayer was/is

The world of Doom isn't limited to your shitty ZDoom folder you fucking fag

campaign was fantastic, but the multiplayer is fucking awful. please get some taste user

The only way they could tell a story would be visually, maybe some clues as to what has happened during a new objective, things like that.

Telling a story through the eyes of someone who has literally gone to hell (in the literal sense of the word) multiple times, killed thousands of unspeakable horrors in ways so brutal the hell spawn themselves are afraid of him, seems a bit of a stretch. How would someone like that ever be even close to a normal person? Is he going to have a love interest? I mean, this guy is so insane he taught hell the word fear, this isn't a character who can drive a narrative with a human touch.

They could, perhaps do a spin off. A kind of Aliens themed space marines killing hell spawn or something. Doom, as in THE Doom, should not have a narrative. The second Doomguy opens his mouth and is anything but utterly violently insane would ruin everything.

oh shit, that's real cool

Unreal did a fantastic job of storytelling in an oldschool FPS. You get a universal translator you can activate the read ancient runes, audio logs, books, etc instead of cutscenes. It also gives you ingame clues and foreshadows events.

I was feeling a modern shooter and ended up going for Wolfenstein The New Order and kinda hate it. Is Doom any better, or do I apparently just hate modern shooters?

I'm not saying that Doomguy needs to become a talking, fleshed out character. I thought what they did with him in Doom 2016 was fine, he expressed himself through his actions. I would just like more things that allow the player themselves to become emotionally invested in the story, such as having more (or any) human characters around to save, try to save or even just watch die, as well as more personal codex entries to find. Basically, the game was lacking stuff that drives us to care about all the people who ended up painting the walls, as well as about the setting in general.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they left Doomguy for a sequel but had a campaign expansion as DLC where you play as an Elite Guard or something during the beginning of the outbreak. That would allow them to have a character who can talk and interact with their surroundings.

The campaign is great, but the multiplayer leaves something to be desired, it seems really stiff and feels like it only exists because of some contractual obligation.

Get the physical version then, even though updates can take hours upon hours discs can install in about a minute or two.

Or you could go to Best Buy or something and get a bigger hard drive if that's the problem.

Doom is much better than TNO. There is no hitscan enemies, you have much wider range of movement. level design encourage movement, more enemies variety with better level design.

Unfortunately the sp is much shorter and MP is just a fun cod x halo treadmill crap.

>tfw the Cyberdemon and Spider Demon came back

DOOM is a blast. Wolfenstein was headed in the right direction but it was still a modern military shooter at its core. DOOM throws a ton of modern concepts out the window in favor of being awesome. Start the game on Ultra-Violence if you've literally ever played an FPS before, though. Anything else is too easy.

If you couldn't kill enemies with guns people would riot.

And the executions aren't qtes

PS4 has mandatory installs

Bro that's clearly bait

There is no one stupid enough to actually think that you can't use guns in an FPS, especially in a Doom reboot

The game was ok, a 7/10

I mean don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game however I did not enjoyed it that much, the music was forgettable, the upgrade weapon system was meh, and having to constantly using executions for health was tiresome, the bosses were good, specially the Spider Mastermind.

About the duration of the game I think it was ok, since it's doom and you pretty much are going to kill demos all the time it could get tiresome after some point.

Honestly I preffer the originals, maybe is the nostalgia, but I find those more fun to play

Anyways I will be expecting the sequel since the game ended in a cliffhanger

By the way, I pirated the game and I don't plan to buy it never, fuck Denuvo

Will most likely win GOTY

with guns as well
though it's highly discouraged (more ammo wasted and no health drops)

A good straight-up FPS game with no political correctness or agenda, nor "muh story" garbage winning GOTY? When the anti-white trinity, Mafia 3, Watch Dogs 2 and Battlefield 1 are releasing this year? I don't think so.

>fps
>goty
wew lad

It looks really easy/

so, just like your mum?

implying doom 1, 2, quake, unreal, etc didn't completely dominate

hah

Don't you talk about people's mother's. You wouldn't want her to get dragged into this with yours.

/end reply

>implying
:^):^):^)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

>45 replies
>not a single pic besides OP
Might as well be reddit.

>52 websites
>literal only mentions of doom are doom 3 and doom (saturn)
i guess you are right, but he probably means personal goty anyways

They fucked up severely by not having any sort of classic mode in the multi.
Even a month after launch there wasn't one.