youtube.com/watch?v=2h94rZenkA8

good music

SMT, of course.

Dragon Quest VII

SMT no contest

>not buying both
Poorfags need to be removed.

>buying

I vote megaten. I've played 3 or 4 DQ games and they just don't appeal to me for whatever reason.

I'm the exact opposite of Tried to keep an open mind, but every SMT game i've played never stuck.

Love DQ though. it comes down to personal taste.

The one that lets me kill God

I bought both. But I'm playing Dragon Quest VII first since I've waited 4 years for it. Game is an improvement over the PS1 game in every single way.

Keifer just left to chase some pussy and I'm grinding outside a church that heals me for free.

I prefer Dragon Quest personally. Not that they're bad, but the only SMT series I prefer to Dragon Quest is Devil Summoner.

So Dragon Quest 7?

>Game is an improvement over the PS1 game in every single way.
Explain please.

i'm getting both

Depends of your tastes, i don't like dragon quest so...

For one, it's not stuck on the PS1

Upgraded engine allows for reactions/expressions from the characters. Starting Shrine was split into 3 pieces so you don't have to run through the whole thing every time you want to get to or from the pillars. Maribel has a LOT more character. Upgraded class system. More game content (both main story and end game). Shard radar makes shards less obnoxious to find, while still letting you search them out. NPCs are done better. Better balance to EXP growth (removed difficulty spikes).

And that's just based on me playing 20 hours. Of a 100 hour game.

So your a nintoddler who is playing it for the first time and has no fucking clue. Got it.

Almost everything is an improvement.

...Ruff is a terrible name for Gabo. I'm not getting over that. The second they let me rename him I am.

Doesn't seem like the PS1 version is worth a play through to begin with

The improvement of the shrine was really a godsend, having to run around and try multiple pillars was hell in the ps1 version.

The way they streamlined the intro is great too. I can only imagine how many people were turned away from DW7 because of how drawn out and pointless the intro seemed. I know it's stopped me from replaying it multiple times

The one that doesn't have a shitty localization that for some reason removed the orchestrated ost, put in framerate issues, and general shitty line changes.

>orchestra into MIDI
>dub only
pirate both

more like this, please

They're hard to compare because they're basically in two vastly different sub-genres of jRPG

I personally enjoy SMT more than DQ but I'm probably still gonna pick one of the two N3DS DQs. I'm playing through SMT IV right now and will probably play SJ whenever I'm done before moving on straight to Apocalypse

How bad is each games dub?

>There's a SMT game on the 3DS
Oh shit. How did I not know this?
e-Shop works for it right?

There's like 4 or 5 if you count spin offs and rereleases.

there are 2 mainline and spin-offs
Soul Hackers, both Devil Survivors upgraded.

don't go straight to apocalypse
play 4 first, for fuck's sake

There's actually several MegaTen games but only one mainline:
>Devil Survivor: Overclocked
>Devil Survivor: Record Breaker
>Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
>SMT IV
>SMT IV: Apocalypse

Where the heck have you been the past four years?

>only one mainline:
>SMTIV:A which is a direct sequel
>not mainline

you know what the fuck I meant, nigger

Well, I'll give it a shot. I'm going to be fucking furious if you nintoddlers suckered me into buying another bad game.

I really don't.

I could also argue if SJ is mainline or not since Demonicas are in IV and IV:A. but that's for another day

SMT by far.

DQ is literally "babby first JRPG" tier. and it never evolved. they keep everything bad and never add anything good.

I can play one (1)
I've never played a DQ game
I enjoyed, but didn't fully keep up with what the actual fuck was going on in SMT IV
Which one Cred Forums

Wasn't Strange Journey at one point actually considered SMT IV?

I think it's far better than SMT IV.

SJ was SMT5 you nit. SMTIV is actually SMT6

>Hasn't played any and spouts bullshit despite each one bringing new elements to the series.
I don't see how it's any more babby than Religion Pokemon.
>because you have to take advantages of status effects in SMT. It's so deep.
You can do that in DQ as well.

You cannot be this retarded. I sincerely hope you are shitposting

Then what's IV?

Apocalypse might be the best SMT game to date.
don't know about DQ, it was never my thing
>Wasn't Strange Journey at one point actually considered SMT IV?
Yes, but nips are faggots that need their series to be in japan to be mainline

>I think it's far better than SMT IV.
Me too, but it has some flaws like making the MC a Vending Machine by the endgame

6-2

SMT, but buy DQ so we can get XI in the future and maybe more spin offs.

DQVII is slow as fuck. Probably one of the slowest jrpg I've ever played and jesus christ they took out the random battles just to replace them with a system that let enemies respawn all the time.
It's like they just decided that you have to fight at least 50 useless battles in an area and that's that, there is nothing you can do about it, not even the magic water to lower the encounter does anything because its only use is to make enemies not follow you, which is completely useless when they are in a corridor (which is basically 95% of the dungeons).

Also 20 hours before unlocking classes, 20 hours in which you: collect tablet, unlock island, beat island's dungeon, visit island in the present, collect new tablet, repeat for like 6 times.

I have to say though, if it wasn't for the gameplay being so dull and the mechanics being weirdly slow and dated even for a DQ (at least I don't remember heavenly bride having 3 sub section for spells and abilities) and the so fucking many random battles (and slow grinding) I would be enjoying it.

I'd say if you are looking for a slow paced experience that resemble a nice fable and you don't really mind an old jrpg gameplay that really doesn't let you do much other than making you use auto attack, heal, the occasional debuff and some fire spell for at least the first 20 hours or so then you could really like DQVII.

With that attitude, I'm sure you'll hate it.

Sounds like I'll get ShiggyTen

>DQ is literally "babby first JRPG" tier. and it never evolved. they keep everything bad and never add anything good.
You're describing Pokemon, not Dragon Quest. But I'm not surprised since you've never played a DQ game.

>making the MC a Vending Machine by the endgame
pls explain what this means

i would buy dq7 instantly if that recording was actually in the game

Because you can have an infinite source of highlevel healing items in SJ unlike pretty much any other megaten your MC is more usefull using those items rather than attacking

The pacing and putting the jobs 20 hours in is bunk. Dragon Quest is essentially comfort food for me in terms of the gameplay, so i'm fine with it being barebones and old school, the challenge is a ways in and that's also an issue with the pacing.

But as for the premist and as you said, collect tablet, save island, rinse, repeat...I actually really enjoy that about it so far. It doesn't have some grand enemy to present me with, just helping people, getting a unique mini adventure with its own story hooks and characters, and moving on to see the next one. Some end happy, some are somber. I actually really love that approach to the story and am fine with what i've heard the run time of this game is.

The MC gets outclassed by all the demons at the end of the game so he's better off just using healing items

You can avoid enemies in every area except the dungeon, because of tight walking areas. That being said, I wish Dragon Quest had kept random battles. Since its the one series that did it correctly. But western fans kept screaming that they wanted on field enemies. Now you have it and now you have to deal with the consequences.

Attitude has nothing to do with it. Good games are good. Bad games are bad. Shit isn't going to taste better because I have a positive attitude.

Okay, different question. If I dropped IV mid way, could I pick up Apocalypse story wise no problem? I hear gameplay wise Apocalypse is a vast improvement.

>But western fans kept screaming that they wanted on field enemies. Now you have it and now you have to deal with the consequences.
I highly doubt that's the reason considering they weren't even going to give us this game in the first place until they got bombarded with requests for localization.

I think I'll get DQ. Haven't supported Atlus release launches since they made their games more expensive.

>Attitude has nothing to do with it. Good games are good. Bad games are bad.
Yet if you go into a good game with a bad attitude, it can become bad. And don't try to claim otherwise. I've seen it happen to the best of people. Like when I try to play games while I'm sick. I have a massive headache and can't concentrate, which makes me mess up on the game and then get mad. Its not the games fault. Its my fault for trying to play a game when I can't even focus on it.

DQ doesn't punish you enough for being shit. brute force grinding works everytime

Yeah, DQVII is definitely for after you've played all the other games and just want more. It's never had too much to offer compared to the rest of the games besides being "a Dragon Quest game that goes on forever." I feel kinda bad for people going into VII as their first in the series and are put off by that.

>Made releases more expensive
>Not because of the multi-month gap in east-west release
Shitty reason to boycott

To be fair, I didn't use my 3DS for anything other than Pokemon.
My DS on the other hand is a different story.
As is my PC where I emulated almost all the SMT games.

What's the order I should play?

What made you drop IV to begin with? If you didnt enjoy it, than there is literally no reason to get Apocalypse.

>Upgraded engine allows for reactions/expressions from the characters.
but it's a very different art style. I'm not saying it's worse but I honestly liked the original style, the new one feels less Toriyama, not sure why.
>Starting Shrine was split into 3 pieces so you don't have to run through the whole thing every time you want to get to or from the pillars.
True but that's like one hour of the game less, it doesn't really make much difference when everything else is so damn slow. That's just the pace of the game, I get it. it's a slow game and that's probably what they were going after right from the start originally.
>Maribel has a LOT more character.
Yes, she is now a horrible spoiled brat
>Upgraded class system.
That you unlock after 20 hours and that is basically just more slow dull grind
>Shard radar makes shards less obnoxious to find, while still letting you search them out.
That's not a bad thing even though I'm not quite sure how you can miss any of them anyway
>Better balance to EXP growth (removed difficulty spikes).
I think when the japs said that final fantasy was better than dragon quest because you levelled faster they were thinking of this game.

You'd be surprised at how many things Yuji Horii has added to the remakes to cater to western fans. Hell, he specifically remade Dragon Quest V and VI because he wanted the west to have a chance to play them for the first time. As he stated in Nintendo Power.

I'm sure there's some Japanese fans who want on field enemies. But its actually quite a negative to most fans. And I can see why. It makes skills like Whistle and Padfoot useless. And makes metal slime hunting 10x slower.

I think other stuff just caught my eye. Thing is, Nocturne and Strange Journey had me hooked on those non-stop. Strange Journey might have had a little help because I was in a hospital bed with nothing else to do but play that or watch shitty TV, but it hooked me in a way that IV just didn't. Might have been the characters or setting not grabbing me, or just not getting into the gameplay.

Thanks for reminding me about hotel dusk, i need to play that

SMT

DQ is crap that only sold because of Toriyama's drawings, and now only sells because its a long running series. take it back to Japan never to return.

>Probably one of the slowest jrpg I've ever played
you haven't played many jrpgs then

Cry some more bitch nigga

>but it's a very different art style. I'm not saying it's worse but I honestly liked the original style, the new one feels less Toriyama, not sure why.
Uh, the 3D models look even more like Toriyama's original designs now. The old sprites were just that, sprites. And the sprites never looked like Toriyama's style.

>True but that's like one hour of the game less
Its much less. Remember that there's 18 islands to explore. And you had to walk through the entire shrine to get to the island and from the island. And then AGAIN any time you wanted to use the ship (which is basically after every island). That added way more than 1 hour to the overall game time. All of this could have been avoided if evac worked in the shrine, but of course it didn't.

>That you unlock after 20 hours and that is basically just more slow dull grind
With the new rate of EXP, you don't even have to grind. You can just play through the story normally and level the classes along the way. Unless you want to go for the tier 3 classes. But being a completionist is about grinding anyway.

>That's not a bad thing even though I'm not quite sure how you can miss any of them anyway
Missing some hidden shards was the biggest complaint of the old PS1 game. Especially since back then, shards were totallyinvisible just lying on the ground (fucking Sphinx). Now they're visible on the ground. Yet still people are missing them since they don't explore every area in a dungeon (or look at the flashing radar apparently).

>I think when the japs said that final fantasy was better than dragon quest because you levelled faster they were thinking of this game.
That's probably because even the longest FF game is still less than 50 hours. But what Japanese people are saying they like FF more than DQ? I'm sure they exist, but they're definitely not the majority.

>you haven't played many jrpgs then
That would be you, m8. DQ is notorious for being slow paced as fuck

Yeah. All these guys claiming Dragon Quest VII is slow have never played something like Suikoden IV and V.

Come on Dragonbros

Wake Up.

We lost DQ7, that very thought still fucking burns me as I write this. But Understand this, we still got the GOAT ps4 game coming.

And Guess what?

We sweep through that, We Will not only make up what we lost in DQ7, we will have cut into SMT's lead.
This is war, My brothers and Sisters, and wars are not won by one battle, one moment. We will lose battles, we will lose games.... but we will win the war.

This Campaign is focused on one thing, and one thing only, Fixing Vidya. Fixing the Corrupt journalist, Fixing Cred Forums, making the REAL games. And we have to work hard for it.

GIANT BOMB and the DNC have written us of as a Insurgency. Damn Right we are an Insurgency, We are an Insurgency fighting for the future of our children, our families, our very way of life. Corporates like Goldman Sachs, and Atlus want to keep us down. And we are down, right now.

What matters is this.....Will we stay down, let the world Die around us, because we lost by a little bit in DQ7. We were no matter what going to lose to SMT Apocalypse, I wish it wasn't that way but the DNC and Final Fantasy's foothold on the west is strong.

We Have to Stand, to give this goddamn world a fighting chance, FF XV won't change Anything, Atlus will make it even Worse. We have to win this or Our very way of Life is Gone, and I am not being Dramatic. Kaneko wouldn't dare change a thing to keep his Pals in Wall Street Happy, and FF fags will Accelerate us into another War. We Let that happen we won't have another Chance, there isn't another 4 years, there isn't a "Next Time" There is only Now...

at least in suikoden you had characters to hunt and secrets pretty much everywhere. There was just so much more stuff to do in suikoden compared to DQVII.

why no one is making ports of this serie

and this is way faster than the original version. and most other dqs

it is
in the switcharoo cia

smt is slower

Finding characters and runes aren't the only things that make a good Suikoden game. All of that is pointless if the story the characters are in is boring.

Dragon Quest VII, the characters are interesting and the story arcs they participate in are good. And it still has plenty of areas to explore and items to find, like other DQ games. Its like Dragon Quest III on steroids.

>Kaneko wouldn't dare change a thing to keep his Pals in Wall Street Happy,
I can't believe Kaneko is #downwithher

objectively wrong

>DQ is notorious for being slow paced as fuck
By people who only play the first couple hours of the game and give up because it doesn't have tons of cutscenes and huge bosses.

I dont understand

>don't try to claim otherwise
>d-don't tell me i have shit taste, please!
user, you obviously don't care about vidya enough to evaluate a game objectively. Why don't you fuck off back to plebbit?

I hope what you meant by slow paced is the story, not battle system. Because DQ's battle is fast as fuck, with tactics and weapon that can attack all enemies. The old ones were even more because they didn't have character's attack animation, only effects.

I can't speak personally for VII but IV has you level up disjointed members/groups of members of your party over the first several hours

I meant story

>auto battle feature
yeah no

>objectively
It amazes me how every single time someone uses this term, they are being the exact opposite of objective. its almost like the term is used to deflect away from something...

Kaneko's an SJW, and the SJW menace is affecting the rest of the industry as we speak

>I can't speak personally for VII but IV has you level up disjointed members/groups of members of your party over the first several hours
So? Each chapter is 2-4 hours long. And its one of the best examples of character development in gaming. At least it was in Japan. The western version unfortunately has the worst localization in history.

I love how everyone wants to be a contrary jackass and pan both for minor changes.

Dragon Quest VII on the PS1 was mediocre.
The 3DS remake only improved most features, save for maybe the ruins and usual ridiculous accents. The music is perfectly fine, and you fucks would have been fine with it if you never heard that it was originally orchestrated.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse is an improved sequel to a decent JRPG. The characters are well written, the combat isn't broken anymore, and the music is better.

Gabo is just a sound the Japanese would say a wolf makes. It's equally as stupid as Ruff, to be honest.

Yeah, I got fucked into buying the DS version without the party chat so I missed out on a lot of the character development

all I know about apocalypse is that it's getting good reviews.
Even if that wasn't right, DQVII is still quite mediocre, even in the dragon quest serie there are better DQ.

I think you mean 'Gao'. That's the sound usually associated with a dog/wolf howling. I have no idea what Gabo is.

Well, not anymore but VII was always good (just ugly like the DS remakes)

it was even uglier. the ds remakes were way more aesthetically pleasing and also were a bit faster paced too.
I liked 7 back in the day but it was really ugly looking for a late ps1 game.

I really dislike how the DS games look, the weird blue which surrounds each town map and the colors aren't that good either.

But the battle sprites and the animation are amazing.

I really hope you niggers are playing SMT with the over the shoulder view

Thinking of getting into SMT. Should I try IV or Nocturne?

What do you mean by this? Is the track posted not in the game?

I think the ps1 version of dw 7 is worse than them personally. but the remake is fantastic.

Either honestly, depend how hard you want you first game.

SMT 4 then SMT 4 apocalypse.

Japan got orchestra
US and Europe got shit OST for some reason.

people already unfucked the OST via CIA

>US and Europe got shit OST for some reason.
We actually got a synthed version of the symphonic OST. I agree we should have gotten the actual orchestra, but its hardly 'shit'.

I'm just talking about looks and judging from videos they made a good job

Did they change anything gameplay related?
The PS1 version took a long time to capture you.

Is the western version of that track uploaded online anywhere yet?

wait seriously? Why? That seems like it'd be more work and we all know how lazy SE is.

>Did they change anything gameplay related?
>The PS1 version took a long time to capture you.
The begining part is done much faster.

SquareEnix only goes through more work if its a chance to screw the fanbase.

IV first

>Kaneko's an SJW

POORFAG DETECTED

Neat

Welcome to the western DQ fanbase