Death area 4

Is dead space series ever gonna come back?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!PJwgFbIL!CKIM7av8eGALAvcCQstYYQ
ifc.com/2013/05/john-carpenter-dead-space-movie
youtu.be/ZvqaYAr4dLY?t=778
youtube.com/watch?v=hMlUsGSALyY
youtube.com/watch?v=zaILqRgR1oI
visceralstore.com/
steamcommunity.com/id/Hobotheharry/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting
youtu.be/nKkPFDEiC6Q
steamcommunity.com/id/HeWhoGrillsBears
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hopefully not, it's beyond saving now.

Self

Why do you think so? I enjoyed it quite much.

Bump

I'm surprised EA hasn't sold the licence to another company to develop a spin-off game like they did for the Wii

It's not like Mirrors Edge, where there was only one game for 8 years and the sequel turned into a reboot.
It's more like Metroid, where the last game was underwhelming and poorly received and it's owner is squandering the franchise

I wouldn't mind a reboot or retelling of DS1
There is plenty of stories to tell in that awful, awful universe

I think DS1 was fine, no reason to reboot it. They've probably explored the story enough with the games they've already done.

You could have a game set during DS1 where you play as some other guy on the ship.

I mean we could see another charachter's perspective. Like after Isaac went to earth and brother moons were there.
Like introduce us to something new.

EA killed it.

I'll never forget it

>Dead Space 3 announced
>Fuck yea
>Footage looks generic as fuck
>Gampeplay looks like a shitty Gears ripoff
>EA states that if the game does not make sales number that I doubt even CoD with a complimentary hooker could meet, then the series will be discontinued.
>Announcement after announcement confirms that the game will be garbage
>Implementing features that no one asked for
>Forcing in crap that no one likes in any game.
>game is destined to bomb
>EA constantly reaffirming that if this game doesn't sell billions of copies, that the series will be left to die.
>Dead Space 3 comes out.
>spoiler warning. Everyone hates it
>end of the series.

Seriously. Either everyone controlling the development and direction of Dead Space 3 is a complete knuckle dragging, mouth breathing moron or some shady back room shit took place that required the death of Dead Space.

Im still mad about this.

That image made me realise I'd kill for a Dead Space trilogy remaster on current gen.

I don't have the first two anymore and I never picked up the 3rd because it seemed a bit shit. This would be perfect.

EA plz.

Don't forget the Microtransactions in Dead Space 3

Not while EA is jerking themselves off over 3 different star wars projects. This is the same company that's publishing an indie game called Fe (pronounced FEE).

They don't care, but they're so jewish they don't want any other company having their IP's.

They would have to do some SERIOUS backtracking, OR story-writing.

The series was left with a Bad End for all intents & purposes.

A really, really Bad End.

Buy them on PC. Instant Remaster.

why make another sequel to a niche ''horror'' game when you can easily make billions with starwars/battlefield and sports games?

L O L

didn't visceral get shut down/a lot of people left?

Because of DS3. Visceral were pretty mad that EA was forcing them to put out DLC. So they put out a DLC that bricked the plot/story ending any chance of a fourth.

I still like DS3 though. I see it as a thriller game with horror elements.

they are making a 3rd person star wars game now. but yeah one of the important guys left visceral shortly after Hardline. Probably got fired because it didnt do well compared to other battlefield games.

DS1 on pc is shit, though.
The controls are pretty fucking bad.
And you cant brute force the graphics on it because it demands quite a bulky pc to run properly and going for higher-res exposes the cheap textures.

Essentially this. EA changed most of what made the first two games decent in a lazy attempt at accessibility.

They're making a Star Wars 3rd person shooter.

Only played DS 1 & 2. What was different about 3's gameplay?

>never bought anything
>using those 3 scavenger bots constantly gave me countless ration seals
>swimming in fucking resources and Mk.V parts

What a broken system.
Honestly I'd kill for a dead space game set in a kind of set up similar to lost planet 3.

>necromorphs have cut off supply routes
>up to you to scavenge parts in whatever environment to complete objectives, build things
>remove gun crafting
>craft much smaller things like items and grenades only

No, EA told Visceral they needed to sell 6 million copies and they didn't come anywhere close. I think the box cost also cratered quickly because of how much DS3 pissed off Dead Space fans, and plus Origin-only games has just meant EA cuts their own potential customer base down just to spite Gaben.

Dead Space 3 was really bad. They took the lore of the second game and completely went up their own asses with it. It they could do something unique instead of just trying to make the scope bigger, it might work.

EA keeping up their status quo of ruining everything they touch. I guess they stood back with 1 and 2 but they you can tell they were standing right over the shoulder of Visceral employees as they worked with how 3 turned out.

They thrashed 3 with an awful plot, terrible combat, forced romance subplot, and microtransactions. I could go on, but you get the idea. The game was still "enjoyable" and Visceral did what they could with what they were told to do and they still did an excellent job. Game probably had one of the most unsatisfying endings ever that retards defend because "hurr durr muh horror we cant have happy endings lol all was for nothing" and then they fucking release paid DLC just so you can have a different ending which is just as shit. Fuck EA.

OP here. As a huge fan of dead space trilogy i am sad to hear all these news.
People may call me a normie for liking dead space but damn i love that game.

>remastered version of Dead Space 1
>they record new lines for Isaac with Gunner Wright's gorgeous voice
>we no longer have to watch Isaac be silent when for example the unitologist fuck sics the regenerator on him, or when Hammond gets demolished by a Brute
>instead, he'll be voicing his intense displeasure at his circumstances accompanied by a moderate amount of swearing
i usually don't like remasters because they often end up being shit, but in this case I'd make an exception

>yfw realising the first letter for the Chapter names spell out MAKE US WHOLE in DS2
>yfw voluntarily shoving an injection in your own eye
>yfw MAKE US WHOLE ISAAC through the whole game
>yfw FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER

COOP ruined most of it for some. The horror wasn't very relevant in the third one, and while the gunplay had more variety, it ended up flat on it's face without the micro transactions.

It plays very similar to DS2

The differences are the external mechanics and settings
Universal ammo, weapons can be customized using parts, scrap can be gathered as "currency", Multiple non-linear hubs in the first half of the game

It's up to you if these mechanics are appropriate for Dead Space

Mate they'd never actually put effort into a remaster

It's a nice thought, but it's very, very wishful thinking

Dont forget, "brother moons are awake".

I love these any more of those type of pictures?

>yfw u realize the first letters of each chapters name spell out NICOLE IS DEAD

Dead Space is a great franchise
One of the few to cash in on the lessons RE4 taught the industry

I'd say half of all Dead Space is excellent (DS1, DS2, Dead Space motion comic), a quarter of it is mediocre (Dead Space extraction, Dead Space 3) and a quarter of it is awful (Dead Space movie, that iOS game)

Maybe I should replay/rewatch it all to see if it still holds up

I didn't even bother with 3, since 2 ended on the perfect note.
>What?

Dead Space has the honor of having a jumpscare that actually freaked me out: DS1's final cutscene

you only had 1 gun
there were way too many human enemies (were there even any in DS2?)
you have a random new characters following you around most of the game

PC versions are pretty shit

>eye sequence

I remember every moment of playing that for the first time.

What are you on about.

Dead Space 2 always seemed to get me in the stupidest place. It was just a body that fell on you as you were running around, but in 2 or 3 playthroughs, despite knowing about it I'd somehow forget and it'd get me

>yfw people still learn this for the first time

why wont they make a movie with Gunner Wright starring as Isaac?

mega.nz/#F!PJwgFbIL!CKIM7av8eGALAvcCQstYYQ

Here's that reshade someone wanted last thread

>FUCK YOU
>AND FUCK YOUR MARKER

nothing will ever top that

Gunner Wright is fucking awesome as Issac and I wish he'd not been silent in the first game. Has he done anything outside of Dead Space? He's got a great voice

>Directed by John Carpenter

>I see it as a thriller game with horror elements.
Was it ever any different?

For me it was the fucking sun. God damn it was so stupid but it worked.

>tfw upgrading your suit

It was orgasmic af walking out with your new gear

It really did, but I still wanted to know more. The Dead Space universe is fascinating

It's been some time since I played them but they were a bitch to get to work

The only good thing about Dead Space 3 was that remix of 'In the Air Tonight' in that trailer.

That fucking game was so awful. They even paired up Ellie and Isaac which a bunch of DS fans were talking about, but they did that terribly too. Amazing.

Post yfw the school level in 2

Dead Space 2 will forever be one of the best games I've ever played. I did the Cutter only challenge first run, it was great.

Right on cue senpai

Necromorphs ain't got shit on you when you upgrade

>the Sun

>not playing dead space with a controller

It also emulates perfectly fine on PC, it is also the only game in the series where enabling non-dogshit AA is possible due to the rendering engine.

1 and 2 are strictly horror.

I feel the same buddy

Issac was just a badass character.

Sad the series ended on a really bad cliffhanger.

It's a shame that DS3 was so shit, the cosmic horror of the moons was pretty damn cool

Playing dead space 3 coop was legitimately the most fun gaming experience I've had in 4 years

The apartments at the beginning freaked me out more. All those people being murdered and you can't help. And the baby in the washing machine

I dont get it

Okay everyone. 15 minutes of recess! Play nice!

Is this real?

extraction was pretty good for what it was

Apparently i don't have "RIP AND TEAR" in my image folder, so have this.

yeah, i figured as much; i was under the initial impression that remasters were just a way for studios to make a quick and easy buck and i'm guessing that's still the case
surprisingly no
he acted in like one superbowl commercial, some literal who movies and then some small role in the G.I. Joe movie from 2009, but other than that I wouldn't know if he's done any other significant work

>That top far right

goddamn that's sexy

I played it on PC in 2008 and it was absolutely fine, albeit my monitor was 1680x1050. That must have helped. But yeah I don't remember any problems.

Is this just fantasy?

>cutter only challenge
How is it a challenge when its the best weapon in the game

I want more lore and I want a non-mediocre Dead Space sequel. I'm currently playing through 3 right now and I hate the crafting so goddamn much. There's still been some spooks, but the crafting is ruining fucking everything. I hope something can still come of this series. Hopefully with Gunner/Issac still being around

I wish EA wasn't so gay.

UUNNNNFFFFFF
Don't do this to me, man

I include that with DS2 being excellent

I never tried the DS3 DLC but I've heard they do justice where the base game fell short

>Implying you actually needed anything short of the cutter

Liking 1 and 2 is fine, they're great games. 3 is such a hard left turn into shit it's a perfect example of what happens when EA touches anything.

>punctuate each fuck you with a shot
>opening up on nerve cluster with contact beam
>clarke just overpowered an Eldritch alien god with his mind
There has yet to be a game to capture that feeling.

underrated suit
arctic suit is still my favorite one from 3, but hot damn that whole "retro-astronaut combined with a futuristic visor" look just does something for me

I liked the fully upgraded engineering rig.
Advanced suit on this one.
The space suit rig you start with is my favorite.

DS3 wasn't horrible, just a shooter instead of survival horror. It was still enjoyable.

Mostly the same, only you could make OP weapons like a force gun that shot electrified rockets. Sounds like Borderlands in concept, and unless you internationally made simple combos like a pulse rifle/shotgun, it trivialized fights.

The end boss was retarded.

The first third of the game was pretty good. Going between different ships finding parts for a shuttle. But then once you land on Tau Volantis, the whole plot shits itself.

Nearly everyone (except Buckle. And, Carver surprisingly) become an unlikable douchebag, Robert being the worst among them.

A terrible three way drama sub plot
>ungh, I know we're on a mission, but god I love ellie
>durr I'm gonna betray the entire team and risk everyone's lives
>because I hate Isaac
>boy do I hate him
>what's this, MY girl is giving him anhug because she's glad he wasn't skewered by a giant snow Spider?!
>now let me thinly veil my jealously by shoving past his shoulder and being impatient.

Seriously fuck Robert.

>I'm surprised EA hasn't sold the licence

uh..

>that iOS game

Did you actually play it? I had an Xperia Play, with a gamepad and earphones it was a top tier game mate. They kept a ridiculous amount of the mechanics in place, had its own story too and some nice moments.

It was pretty good mane

That and bottom left are the only two that feel "new"
The other's seem a little derivative of prior games

Never liked the snow-suit fur but at least it felt fitting for the sequel to Lost Planet

Dead space is alien
dead space 2 is aliens
dead space 2 is alien 3

ifc.com/2013/05/john-carpenter-dead-space-movie
one day

You have excellent taste.

post yfw the eye sequence

I had to quit playing for a little while when I first fucked that up

I NEVER KNEW I WANTED SOMETHING SO BADLY UNTIL READING THIS

I look at DS3 as being like a global disaster movie. Everything was building up to this moment and I think they executed it well. Shame about the necro story arc thou.

Bloody hell I really need to replay DS2

They never put DS3 on steam right? It's still origin only?

Okay first off, Extraction was way better than 80% of rail shooters. Not only was it legitimately scary at times, it had some good twists and fantastic moments.

>John Carpenter, director of "Halloween" and "The Thing"
>mentions Halloween but not In the Mouth of Madness
I mean, I know Halloween was a more well-known film, but In the Mouth of Madness was a much, much better film
The Thing is one of my all-time favorite movies
In fact, I think I'm going to go watch it right now just because I'm thinking about it

I'd like to see it as a Netflix mini series tbqh.

The series is fubar already after DS3, but the first two games are really good source material.

>mfw

>mfw every playthrough I'd fall for the sun

Yeah. I haven't played the DLC, but I do sort of wish that they didn't end the trilogy on the anti-climactic note that they did, unless it was all a hallucination or something, because everything you do in the game is then pointless.

If the world really did end, I'm be interested to play the remnants of humanity, maybe someone who isn't Isaac, as they struggle in a galaxy that is home to what are basically eldritch abominations. That would be an interesting plot for a followup, going back to the DS1 roots.

Correct.

OH GOD I NEED IT
GOOD CHRIST I NEED THIS TO EXIST IN THE WORLD TO MAKE LIFE WORTH LIVING

>The Thing is one of my all-time favorite movies

Same here, famalam

I love that movie so much, it's easily in my Top 5 of All Time

> I do sort of wish that they didn't end the trilogy on the anti-climactic note that they did, unless it was all a hallucination or something, because everything you do in the game is then pointless.

That was Visceral's fuck you to EA moment. At very least now EA cant milk DS like they do everything else.

Alien, The Thing, and Blade Runner are up there for me

The real question is animated or live action?
And if live action haw can you tell the story best to avoid egregious CGI?

>We see what happens when a normal human who isn't smart is affected by the marker signal

Poor Vandal. That White Marker in the desert hallucination gave me chills. The semi blocky textures somehow onyl added to the charm.

Excellent, excellent taste.

I loved trying out a new suit on DS2. The animation sequence was excellent.

live action for sure, with as little CGI as possible.

go full fury road on it, only use CGI to make shit look cooler rather than build from scratch

it would just be a derivative action meme movie with meme actors from popular tv shows

don't trick yourself into thinking anything can be good at any time

>The iOS game being awful
Dude what? It was an amazing game. One of the few games that fucks with you really well and had a nice plot. Ill never forget that one sequence where you keep going forward and the rooms all look the same only a bit bloodier and darker.

Reminder that John motherfucking Carpenter has said he's interested in making a Dead Space movie

This is the realest post in this thread

Have you been paying attention to?

This is all we need nigga!

If it's John Carpenter, gotta be live action to let him work his practical effect magic
It's really telling that The Thing (1982) looks so much better than The Thing (2011)

>Implying EA would let him

impeccable taste

WHO /EVENTHORIZON/ HERE

Top Tier taste, m8

I doubt a baby could rock it as hard as it was. It was probably a kid.
Even then, we don't know what was screaming and making it move.

>tfw its almost exactly like the bloody sack in the dumpster you find in RE4 that suddenly starts convulsing and stops if you attack it

Someone up for streaming some good horror movies?
I'm feeling like a cozy night watching movies with Cred Forums, they're always fun

Exactly this. Also, did you know there was a version of the sequel with prop effects that was scrapped in favor of heavy cgi.

You know if not John, Id be happy for the movie to be directed by the guy who did Event Horizon. Since DS is a game adaptation of it.

I pay my respects to the game and to the marker

Praise the marker!

FFFFFF

Yup
There are some youtube videos that you can find that show off the puppets they made before some hack executive told them to redo it in CG because "kids these days won't want practical effects"

Then the guys who did those practical effects went off and made a movie on their own to show off their skills and apparently it wasn't very good
Life is only suffering

>Hacker suit
That's only accessible via modding. Isaac never wears the hacker suit+mask, only the clothes and rig.

fukken saved

>Mfw the crew on the 2011 Thing did the entire thing in practical effects
>Mfw the executives complained the monsters looked ridiculous from any angle other than where the camera was filming
>Mfw the executives funding the film totally redid all of it with CGI after shooting was over

>tfw my brother wanted the foam finger
> mfw he got all the way to the end
> dies at the ending , like when you fly to the ship after FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR MARKER
> we both stare at the screen in disbelief and sit down for a good half an hour
> do it over and get it.
>the Hard to the core

>gee, guys, why do these things look bad from angles that they will never be seen from in the movie?
FUCKING EXECUTIVES FUCK OFF REEEEEEEEEEEE
The only redeeming part of that movie was that Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in it and she's a massive QT

Come on, 1 and 2 have too much of a combat system to be true horror.

>Dead Space is kill
>the the canon ending of the entire series is Isaac and Carver crashing their ship into a Brother Moon as Earth is assimilated by Lovecraftian horrors

I still found them pretty scary and the atmosphere was unnerving
It may just have been because I was a teenager when I played them, though
I really miss the days of being younger when I could get more immersed into things

I heard somewhere that they played it out like the Necromorphs were the good guys or something. Is that correct?

This would never happen. He might be an actor and he might the voice of isaac clarke but the jews of hollywood would never let a no name star in such a movie. they would have to have a big star name to star in the movie just to sell more tickets at the box office.

These look cool as fuck.

Only legitimately smart people are confirmed to be able to overpower a markers influence. And this was a giant golden one he made while under a drug induced stupor.

>matt damon as isaac clarke
Actually that doesn't sound half bad

Oh shit, I might try that, then. I got a phonepad coming in tomorrow and I want to use it for more than emulators.

the best part of the series was Issac and his "ellen Ripley" vibe.

a guy going from just some middle age fuck, to slowly, a badass survivor and hero.

both were engineers too, I assumed it was intentional.

>Matt Damon doing his immortal "What? Noooooo" when Kendra reveals that Nicole is dead
holy fucking shit i need this

Fucking great movie. We do not need eyes where we're going.

SOMEONE SET UP A STREAM OF THE THING OR EVENT HORIZON, I NEED A GOOD Cred Forums MOVIE NIGHT

Dead Space is made up a lot from scifi horror, The Thing, Aliens, Event Horizon, Scientology...

kinda looks like isaac

Pretty sure that was Mark Wahlberg, AKA "Budget Matt Damon"

>both were engineers too, I assumed it was intentional.
ellie's a heavy equipment pilot, not an engineer

I could dig it. I love crazy Rick.

oh fuck
can't believe i got mixed up between the two

Ellen Ripley is the perfect waifu
It helps that Sigourney Weaver is beautiful at literally every stage of her life

Y'know, I always wondered if they planned the number of chapters in the game to fit "NICOLE IS DEAD" or if they made that number of chapters and went "hey let's just change all the names since it's coincidentally the same number of letters."

I have a hard time believing they would change the entire pacing of their game just for that little detail.

she's a Warrant Officer and was an Engineer (her daughter becomes an Engineer too)

>mfw Alien Isolation is both canon AND ties up a big plot hole from Aliens

it helps that her and Mcready are the two most badass protags in movie history.

because they are believable protags.

youtu.be/ZvqaYAr4dLY?t=778
i'm going purely by this, so what you're reaching into must be something from a dead space novel because I've never heard of this

I imagine they just changed the titles around after noticing it.

Dead Space 2 has a crazy amount of marketing and prequel content, like Ignition, Aftermath, the comic, Your Mom Hates Dead Space, the iOS game, Severed... Where it did it go so wrong, bros ?

>The controls are pretty fucking bad.
They were perfect when I played them recently.

>Your Mom Hates Dead Space

holy shit that was a wild ride

where's my fucking sequel.

Gunner rides motorcycles for a living. He could do his own stunts as well.

>He's the one wearing the Advance Rig in the commercials
He's pretty cool.

I can find her as a Warrant Officer but in Aliens she was working as a heavy machine operator (how she knows to pilot the exo-suit at the end of the film)

I know, man, A:I was my GOTY 2014, I just want more

oh fuck, i thought you were saying that ellie from DS2 and ellen ripley were both engineers, my bad

More like:

DS1: Event Horizon
DS2: Alien
DS3: Into the Mouth of Madness/The Thing/Bad Boys 2

>good friend adored DS back when it first came out
>recently picked it up for myself(along with 2)
>realize how much 2 stands head over shoulder of the original
>try and convince him to buy and play 2
>"eeeh, I don't know man, I heard all the scary spooky stuff was gone and that it was lame"

I fucking loved how dead space incorporated the hud into the game itself like the health bar, inventory system and the locator beacon. Are there any other games that do this?

>dead space 3 is good movies
No, you're wrong

GOOD THINGS ARE COMING

That niche horror game sold millions.

my biggest problem with the series and concept is that it isn't really Body horror like what all the stuff it takes from is.

the Necromorphs just utilize dead flesh, it isn't people no more, body horror isn't the same when those people didn't turn into the "morphs" while still alive.

the distinction was weird, why make that part of the plot? too afraid to be even more similar to The Thing?

>DS2: Alien
In case you forgot; Dead Space 2 starts with a necromorph screaming into your eyes
Alien takes 45 minutes for anything frightening to get rolling

>that fucking soundtrack
>that fucking artstyle, perfectly mimic'ing the original movies motifs and styles
>that CORRECT use of Chromatic abberation, giving the game an 80's feel.

how did they get it so fucking right?

it also ran on a fucking toaster and looked better than almost all games out currently.

What about Dead Space 2's opening?

I love slow burn movies, it made me so happy that it translated over into Alien Isolation in that it took a good while for the alien to even show up

The term you're looking for is Diegetic. Laymans term being that whatever the thing is, it's built into the world and presented as an in-universe feature. Like Artyoms watch in Metro 2033, that moniters how much air you have left in your mask, or your bullets.

Not a lot of games do this, but Dead Space is a shining example of it.

>"eeeh, I don't know man, I heard all the scary spooky stuff was gone and that it was lame"
he's a faggot if he lets that stop him, DS1's ending is literally a hook for you to play the sequel, intended or not

the guy is killed then morphed.

for whatever reason, the necromorphs cannot "infect" living flesh, the infection just kills the host then they take over.

I don't know, man, it was like stepping into Alien
I'm already a huge nerd for Alien so it just made me jizz myself with glee

I mean, if your making something inspired by something else, you wouldn't want to rip it off completely.

What the fuck went wrong with Dead Space 3? I think for me what really killed it was the universal ammo. It just felt really off to shoot your plasma gun and it also happens to deplete your ripsaw weapon. Just... why ever use any gun except for the one you love if they all use the same ammo?

Also, I really hated the upgrade system. I don't to choose between upgrades and have it installed. I like upgrade my weapon and armor to the max.

>Things I enjoyed about Dead Space 3
-The kind of open level design on the beginning space ship level. Zooming around in your little tiny ship felt nerve wracking and cool

>Things I hated
-Just about everything else

Using dead flesh is just a strategy the necromorph hivemind use to overtake humanity
However, living people can be infected and transformed using specific necromorphs (those weird bat-things):

had a weird thing where reloading a weapon would use that entire magazine/capsule of ammo if you reloaded midway.

it never tells you this will happen, you are just supposed to know.

no they can't.

those bat things, btw are the only things that can, with any speed, "infect" anything.

and living flesh simply isn't chosen to be infected, it can't be done without a scientist literally doing it.

Oh fuck, really? I don't think I ever noticed. Ammo was so plentiful I just never really payed attention.

Goddamn that was retarded. I get why that was there, but it ruined so much for me. Worst part is I didntneven realize it was there until my 2nd play through.

I realized when I was burning through ammo, I tested and yep, it does it.

makes sense story/realistically but WARN ME this is the case.

it isn't a fucking part of gamplay strategy if you aren't told it is a fucking concept.

It's why I love DS1's opening so much

It could've burned slower but 2008 was not the era of subtle shooters
And they were eager to show you the limb-cutting mechinc
And then show you again
And then show you again
And then show you again

DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN CUT OFF THE LIMBS?

You know, when I first read about Dead Space in the game informer magazine I thought it was going to be a lot more different than it turned out. I thought monsters would be less, but individually different, and that combat would be more survival horror in space than combat oriented. The game was still good, but I felt like my idea would've been better.

I had that issue too! I felt the same way about the Bioshock reveal. I guess that some games change more than others.

I kind of had a guilty pleasure with DS3 playing it with a friend. It did however kill most of what made deadspace made great.

In DS1 you truely felt alone in a ghost ship with communcations between you and and your crew breaking up all the time.
And at the end of dead space you truely felt alone when everyone died and kendra betrayed you and there was no one left but you going insane.

In DS3 you never really had that feeling of being alone or isolated. Doesnt help that they indroduced a ton of shitty mechanics into the game either.

It would have been, but I honestly doubt they were ever actually trying to make something like that.

that's what I tried to explain, anything you lost from ds1 to ds2 is made up tenfold by it being easily one of the most mechanically sound shooters, or even games, ever conceived

Its because of those single monster photos that gameinformer features on covers. They show each enemy individually.

youtube.com/watch?v=hMlUsGSALyY

I can believe it
It was marketed to be alot scarier than it turned out

Still fantastic though

Can someone explain why the DS3 DLC ruined the ending?

Something about the way they worded it made me think it would be though. I think they way they said that your weapons were really mostly mining tools made me think that your weapons could be used to solve puzzles, and that actual ammunition would be rare and mostly ineffective against the horrific necromorph creatures. Eh, doesn't really matter though.

DS 3 was way too fucking gloomy for me.

That last sequence with all the fucking Tommyknocker Xenomorphs fucking dragged me down.

Fuck that horse shit.

>that part in DS2 when you unleash the necromorphs on those Tiedemann fucks and you follow the carnage the necromorphs left behind

Oh yeah, I remember those images in the Game Informer magazine really made me feel like the game was going to be horrific and unsettling.

what has stuck with me forever is the zero G empty space levels where it's nothing, no sound queues to go off of, it was really quite unsettling

>What the fuck went wrong with Dead Space 3?
Perfect example of "appealing to a wider audience" at the expense of absolutely everything else, and handling the game as a "product" first and foremost.
Probably didn't help that the devs were really out of ideas for the series to begin with.

youtube.com/watch?v=zaILqRgR1oI
i'd say try to convince him, the video i posted portrays what is probably one of the more unsettling/scary parts of DS2 and i'm willing to wager he'd at least consider it if you linked him something frightening from the game

he's still a shallow fuck for letting horror be the only factor that's keeping him from playing

Let it go, it had a good run. Dead Space 1 and 2 are great games.

Can anyone tell me what the point of this asshole was besides being and ass and cucking you?

the biggest problem with Dead Space is that they never let you stay "alone" for long, some fuck is always chatting with you every god damn 3 minutes.

true fear comes from being absolutely alone amongst horrors.

found the game informer image that really sold the monster design to me. I couldn't find a larger size though. This was the design that made me think each monster was going to be grotesque and different. I imagined a person's head on a long, multi knuckled limb scouring corridors as Isaac tried to stay quiet in his engineering suit.

Comic relief. The interaction between him and Issac is some funny shit.

dead space 1 is a master piece of vidya.

>betrays you
>he ends up dead
>Ellie is mad at you for it

I don't know I think it helps make Isaac more than some brown and gloom gruffed white male lead.

he is his own character, and he can only be this character when he is working together with another human being

Dead Space 1 did that pretty well though. Yeah you talked to people, but you didn't often feel that they kept you company the way they did in dead space 2. Most of the time you talk on the intercom you're both pretty panicky about all the shit around you

they may have third person shooter mechanics, but everything else about them is as horror as horror gets. and no, not getting spooked by the creatures after halfway through the game because you're a tough guy doesn't change the genre.

>Comic relief.
>is some funny shit.
When? All he does is grab ellies ass whenever Isaac is watching and being a dick in general.

Found a bigger picture.

ENTERING ZERO GRAVITY

DS1 Engineering rig > DS1 marine armor > DS2 antique rig > other DS2 rigs

I just love the blocky helmet and scaled armor

Dude, the enemy designs looked awesome. Why did the game make them all so generic looking and samy? The could've done much better with less enemies with each one being mutated in a different, horrific, and gross way.

they needed to chuck in a character that ''betrays you'' like kendra and Diana in the previous games. Though they made him unlikeable dick in the beginning already so you pretty much saw it coming from a mile away unlike with kendra and diana.

Why did the Red Marker from Dead Space 1 want to get Isaac to put it back on the pedestal that was containing it? Isn't that going against its entire purpose? Same thing with the original Black Marker from Dead Space: Martyr, when it tries get that one scientist guy to go into the "dead space" field around the marker after he accidently infects himself to prevent him from causing an outbreak and ultimate convergence event. Is the Black Marker, which is the source for all Markers mankind makes after, flawed in some way? It really doesn't seem to want humanity to fuck itself over.

>immediately hops on Isaac's dick again soon after, completely forgetting about whats his name

that's what got me

For some reason I imagined the game to be more nightmarish flesh corridors, screaming cacophony and wading literally knee-deep in blood and guts, but I guess it was stupid of me to think it would be that from start to finish, and I'm definitely not disappointed in what I got anyway.

I'm actually a bit mad that the trailer's "spoiled" the inclusion of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, because the scene where it does play would have been double freaky had you not been expecting the song to appear at some point.

I think my favorite moment of all the trailers was seeing that massive tentacle dragging Isaac down the hole, and then we see him desperately climbing back up again before something wraps around his neck and pulls him back down. It really got me, because so much was actually left up to the imagination about what was down that hole.

It was actually kind of boring when you played the game and found out that there was three, always the same areas that the tentacles would show up.

Also, the way it was described in the GameInformer magazine led me to believe doing damage to the necromorphs was ultimately a bad thing because the limbs would just be replaced by something worse.

>For some reason I imagined the game to be more nightmarish flesh corridors, screaming cacophony
that's basically what the mining chapter in DS1 was though

they always, well sometimes morphed into the same creature once losing their legs with the 3 tentacles that shoots shit at you

Shit mane, why do the good threads come around when I'm going to sleep

Now I'll wake up to another hundred or so posts and an archived thread

That was the third game though. First game, shooting off their limbs always made them easier to kill, not different.

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.

The Markers themselves are batshit if I had to guess.

What the hell happened to their store? Why hasnt there been any comment on this?
visceralstore.com/

Dead Space 4 is going to be an open world game set on Earth.

I think in the first game you should've had to venture down into the crater to find the marker. You could encounter glimpses of the giant worm on the way. You would find it at a fucked-up shrine.

Holy shit user, How?

I got the chance to talk with a developer of DS3 once and man we're lucky it didn't wind up even more shit.
>One exec pushed for Issac to become half-necromorph ("his arm is infected but he's still human")
>Another really wanted Ellie to die but then suddenly changed his mind (this is why her "death" is so halfassed)

Yeah, but I expected the whole game to be like that. Again, stupid of me to think that and it probably would've grown boring fairly fast.

The games would've been vastly improved if the number of shots to sever a limb and number of severed limbs to kill would've been randomized for every individual, non-boss enemy that spawns. That way you could've ended up with situations where a necromorph keels over after just one shot and you're left in genuine, uncomfortable doubt whether it was really that easy, or you could sever every limb off an enemy and their amputated torso would keep growling and sputtering at you and you'd go "Why won't you DIEEEE?!".

But as it is, it's 3 shots to sever, 2 severs to kill, like clockwork. Even the ones in DS3 that morph if you sever the "wrong" limbs have a very reliable method to them.

They're dead Jim.

Those enemies were 100% spoopy.

Pretty much this. Every enemy died the exact same way. Sometimes I'd try and be conservative and attempt to shoot two very close limbs at the same time, but it wasn't really necessary.

N-no pls
>going to their site just takes you to origin main page
What the hell is going on, its like they dont even exist!

>The guardian enemies
Fuck my life

Its funny, I like the look of the strips of armor plates, but in reality, if you think about it, it's a terrible design, functionally.

Any type of pointed, stabbing attack would just glance right off the plate and go right between into to the fabric underneath.

That's why, with traditional armor, you would scale the plates in a way that they overlap.

The Japanese really liked Dead Space didn't they?

none of the engineering armor is made to fighting, you do know that, right?

the Elite/advanced rigs are anime as fuck, that helps.

That's what happens when you become EA's slave

That's true. They look like stuff that Takeyuki Yanase or Kanetake Ebikawa would draw.

Um, Isaac is an engineer, that's why his armor isn't meant to be for fighting. His helmet, for example, is clearly designed to look like a welder's helmet.

They were EA's buttboys since the beginning though. Hell most of the people there came from another EA studio that EA shut down. the ones that made LAPD future cop.

Shit on DS3 all you want, but it still has the best Space feel of any game in the series.

I want a game that just takes place on the flotilla, with Isaac having to scrape together enough junk to build a ship.

>tfw no suit designed by yoji shinkawa

Even if it were combat armors they wouldnt be designed to combat necromorphs.

would be too cool, also westerners HATE when Japanese artists blow them the fuck out in design.

mainly because Western video game artists are pretty bland, DS1-2's were a minor exception, though only slightly.

now im angry EA ruined this game

Im still confused as to why they would shut it down without saying anything, feels like it came out of nowhere.

>best space feel
>when 80% takes place on a planet
okay.

Less than half of the game takes place on the planet.

The alien city was also one of the best locations in the series IMHO.

The crappy snow and bland bunker segments are maybe 33% of DS3, but everyone acts like it's the entire game.

chapter 3 through 9/10 all take place in space, so i'd say it's closer to around 30%

What's the point you're trying to make? They're not combat armor. you could complain about the military uniform, which would be a legitimate argument, but Isaac's regular outfit is mean to be practical in terms of heat for welding, electricity of connecting cables and circuits, and minor metal plating to prevent being immediately slice by bandsaws and other cutting equipment. In terms of those, it's actually a really advanced and expensive outfit.

The point is that the armor upgrades wouldnt do much to increase your defenses against slasher attacks, they'd just slice you between the strips of plating.

Great Idea

Terrible Execution

The problem is that Dead Space is a videogame.

What do you do with giant boss monster in videogames?

You shoot their glowing weak spots.

I think the brother moons are fine, The only reason they were able to take out that one is because it was basically a half formed fetus that spend a few centuries as an ice cube.

Well, in the later armor upgrades the space between metal bits is lessen, so it might do better.

>wailing wall man
>try to get a closer look
>mistakes were made

I think it effects smart people differently, like its influence cant take control of a n engineer, but the connection gives the guy knowledge that their minds extract to get what they want. Like since their neural pathways are enhanced the marker cant wiggle its way through and gets stuck in the maze, which is why the golden marker had to trick and weaken isaac to try to sneak attack him, but in a full on confrontation isaac makes it explode

>I missed the 5 dollar sale and now the key sites are rejecting every fucking card I have to offer
>I can't find a crack that isn't broken or behind a password
kill me guys, what did I fucking do wrong?

are you talking about dead space 2

Who /Obsidian/ here?

Yeah. I already own 1, and I want 3 to co op with my buddy.
2 was at the forefront and I missed the sale because I was in the god damn hospital.

>holy shit that was a wild ride
what happened?

that's a shame, it almost always goes on sales during any sort of steam sale so you should be able to get it then
add me up on steam and i might be able to help you steamcommunity.com/id/Hobotheharry/

3 isn't on steam

Origin isn't terrible to deal with. Most of the time it's just steamdrones hopping onto a hype train.

>Guardians are still alive
>The sigh of relief when you kill them

>visceral is stuck making BF and dlc for EA

it shouldn't have ended like this.

a decision that will forever perplex me
don't you think EA would have made back the cut taken by steam by putting the game on their platform? would have likely printed even more money

1 is a pretty big send-up to RE4 and it's style of action-horror; i'd hesitate to call it a 'true' horror game but it's definitely the slowest paced and most tense game out of the 3. DS2 is enjoyable for me but gets kinda worse on every replay, whereas in DS i'm always noticing new little things and appreciating the design of areas and objectives, along with Isaac's silence and body language.

DS3 is kinda shit.

I don't think so. There were plenty of highly intelligent people who were at the forefront of their respective fields that went completely insane in Martyr, 1, and 2. But for some reason, some people like Isaac, Altman, the aforementioned guy that hallucinated his grandmother, and Doctor Kyne are affected differently. They Marker takes on the form of their loved ones in hallucinations, and all of them with the exception of Nicole in DS2 are adamant that they keep the Markers contained in order to prevent convergence, which is the exact opposite of what the Marker should be doing. Altman's hallucination was a bit different though, as it wanted him to replicate it which goes along with its original purpose, but neither did it seem malevolent in its intentions. On the other hand, people like Unitologists and others are affected in quite the opposite way, as they are obsessed with bringing about a convergence event.

This leads me to the conclusion that the Black Marker on Earth must be flawed in some way (either do to damage it sustained when it crashed into the Yucatan, or do to the actions of some unknown alien race opposed to the Brother Moons), due to the conflicting influences it had on people who were affected by it. By the time of Dead Space 2 and the creation of the Golden Marker, EarthGov has clearly "perfected" the design and removed this apparent flaw, as this Marker seemed more in line with its original purpose, as evidenced by the actions of "Nicole".

Too bad we will never know since Dead Space is kill

Some people have a natural resistance to the marker's crazy rays.

Some people produce psychic anti bodies, which are basically hallucinated manifestations of your subconscious, warning you or guiding you.

The marker in DS1 wasn't being "contained" at all. It wanted to be put back on the pedestal, so that it could continue the convergence event that it had started on the mining colony.

The guy in dead space 2 probably had some form of psychic resistance to the marker, but it was still focusing on him enough to make him infect himself with the necromorph tissue. After he infects himself, the marker eases up on him, and his psychic antibodies are able to take over.

protip: sometimes devs WANT the game to fail, that way they can make back the money through taxes or some shit, I dont remember

you'd be amazed how often this happens

see: MGSV

The pedestal was created to completely negate the effects of the Marker. Putting it back would lead to the exact opposite of a convergence event.

It's because there was a Retcon between 1 and 2, Dead Space wasn't expected to get a sequel.

In DS1 the Markers were created by an Alien species as a containment mechanism for the Necros. They were made by a third party.
In DS2 this was changed to the Markers being the hivemind of the Necros.

If Isaac is a decorated engineer who served with the Merchant Marines and was out onto major shipping lines to fix ships not unlike the Ishimura, why did he wear that level 1 Rig that was just the jumpsuit, boots and helmet? As far as the lore goes, level 1 engineer rigs are made casual or rookie engineers. (Can't give them the expensive models just yet)

I mean I guess you can say he didn't expect to fight for his life or do major repairs aboard the Ishimura, so he went with something light and comfy for the trip?

Nah, the pedestal was just that, a pedestal.

It did nothing to suppress the marker. Putting the marker back on the pedestal actually wakes up the proto moon that was sleeping in the asteroid.

Isaac was tricked by the marker.

n7 best.

Pretty much. They expected that they'd get to the Ishimura and have to do some light repairs to the Comms arrays, not find a derelict full of space zombies.
Isaac is also a Civilian at that point, not a Military Engineer.

doesn't this only apply to some nasty ass con-man bullshit

i mean, wanting a game that's part of an incredibly popular franchise to fail
you think they would actually do that? i simply wouldn't know because i'm clueless on this matter

It's jewish accounting in order to cheat on Tax.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

>I mean I guess you can say he didn't expect to fight for his life or do major repairs aboard the Ishimura, so he went with something light and comfy for the trip?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the rig models are more about where in the ship someone would be working.

An engineer working inside the ship would just need a basic life support system, whereas someone working outside the ship is probably going to want the armor playing and other gizmos.

What I dont understand is why his stasis and kenesis modules arent top of the line.

youtu.be/nKkPFDEiC6Q

Did this frozen Necromorph ever do anything?

Then explain the events of Dead Space: Martyr, which came out two years after the first game and just before dead space 2.

There was no proto moon. The Red Marker was placed on the pedestal by scientists before the events of the game to stop the outbreak, which is what it clearly did, as there were no necromorphs on the planet before it was removed.

It's a boss. It swallows Isaac and you have to blast your way out of it.

>game publishers
>not con men

they flat out lie with bullshots and trailers with shit thats not in the game, just look at no man's sky, its the pinnacle of game marketing lies

thanks

does this look familiar to you, user

>Not upgrading to a better suit for a while leads to his jumpsuit getting tears and blood stains on it.

I always thought that was a neat addition.

>3rd game has co-op
>but it's not couch co-op
What the fuck were they thinking? Even big daddy Resident Evil got this shit right

>There was no proto moon

I mean the final boss of DS1. When you put the marker back on the pedestal, it wakes back up, doesnt it?

I know that none of the moon shit was planned, but it still makes sense in retrospect.

Maybe intelligence and strength of character plays a role. Isaac wasnt just smart enough to survive, he had the will. he fought back against the marker, when the nicole hallucination grabs him theres and you fail to get your shit together he tells it its not real and cant hurt him, a logical conclusion to reach, but thst gets you killed . People like strauss get lost in their guilt and sorrow and the marker uses that to break them, regardless of intelligence. Isaac answers why he cant let nicole go as much to the marker as he does himself. So the marker attacks on three levels, physical with necromorphs, mentally with signals, and emotionally with hallucinations. It takes being able to overcome all 3 to become a marker killer

Buy more copies, goy

Yeah it sucks. I wanted to play this game with my gf after we played RE5 and 6 together. and there is no couch coop for this game. fuck it.

Forgot about the Hive Mind. But you forget that when the Marker makes contact with the pedestal, all nearby necromorphs immediately die. Kendra then removed the Marker from the pedestal almost immediately after, preventing its dead space field from being amplified to keep the Hive Mind dormant.

>1 and 2 are strictly horror.
I don't think you understand what horror means.

Unless you were using american definition of horror aka "body horror/american horror" which is just variation of gore.

Dead space games never were a horror game. Sure they did incorporate some horror but that is.

No. Markers in DS1 destroyed Necromorphs. Being a part of Convergence in DS2 was a Retcon.

Better to just consider it like this: Markers are tools, created by Aliens. Some Markers crated Necromorphs, probably a weapons experiment of some kind, and other Markers were designed to destroy them, a failsafe. Something got fucked up, they couldn't trigger their failsafe and they all got gooped, and there's a bunch of Markers floating around the universe doing their own thing.

Whoopsie.

anyone looking to coop ds3?
steamcommunity.com/id/HeWhoGrillsBears

How about you pay attention next time you weeb.

I didn't need these feels

story?

You're an idiot

Sure, do you have the DLC?

>Wants to coop DS3
>posts steam account
>game is origin only

eh? what's the scoop on visceral?

zoo so poor it cant even feed some animals, the bear lives off scraps the people throw to him

That is a nice comeback with an argument.

I feel destroyed. I will never recover from this.

The Kellions crew was dispatched on a mission to fix a comma array, which would take at max a day. Isaac didn't expect to do much heavy lifting, so he didn't see the need to bring most of his normal gear along.

Its worth nothing that a majority of the weapons bought on the Ishimura are overclocked versions.
>Why does the ships store only show stuff needed for combat
He probably filtered out toiletries and food and the like.

You keep saying "retcon", but I don't ever recall any dev or something coming out and saying that's what happened. While not called "convergence", there are clear references in the first game about some sort of rapturous event tied to the Markers.

"Make us whole" and all that.

Isaac was actually a mentally handicapped idiot who had been duped into doing inhumanely dangerous grease monkey work. Everyone just told him he was a super-duper important "mining engineer" to keep him deluded and malleable.
Think about it:
>never talks, only screams and grunts
>bashes necromorphs with crazy person strength
>short and walks hunched
>doesn't actually do any complicated operations, just heavy lifting and lever pulling or slamming doodaads into empty slots

muh alternative headcanon

Convergence yes, but the Marker in DS1 stopped the convergence.

>it's got horror!
>but it's not horror
that's why you're not even worth an argument

It's 10 school shooting tokens, so I could pick it up.
Same account name on both. Here's your (You)

Okay, you got me

Now give me my sides back asshole.

Visceral is making Jades new game

Only when place on the pedestal, which was created by human scientists in order to stop it. Much like the markers in the subsequent books and games, the Red Marker is sending out mixed messages to people, and is the source for the necromorph contagion. It tells Isaac to make it dormant again, while others around it are compelled to bring about convergence.

Is chocolate chip ice cream chocolate?

Just because they have some scary elements doesnt make them horror games. They're spooky shooters.

Last time I checked, you can't murder every enemy with your bare hands in most horror games.

First, stop taking the internet discussion so seriously, take a breath and calm down. You are so agitated you've misquoted.

Second, you sure caught my only mistake in my post where I forgot to add "horror elements" and typed just "horror" instead.

Third, feel free to prove me how a game, incorporating few horror elements, suddenly is considered a proper horror.

You don't doubt that Amnesia is a true horror game? Use it as an analogy to show me. Destroy me with your solid and well-crafted argument.

>>Dead space games never were a horror game. Sure they did incorporate some horror but that is.

>game about fighting for your life aboard an abandoned space ship filled with frightening monsters
>arguably one of the game's main focal points is to horrify the player with chase sequences, generally unsettling environments and terrifying displays
>not horror

actually, let's look at your other argument where you claim that body horror = gore, not horror
where does that leave movies like The Thing, which did the same as Dead Space; bring in horror elements along with a certain degree of body horror added to the mix
is The Thing now officially not a horror movie according to your definition, despite both emphasizing first on being horrifying in nature and then using the body horror for added effect?

i have no idea what's going on in your mind to utter such a statement as "Dead Space games never were horror games" when there's really no other classification for them
what else is there beneath the horror?
do we just go about calling the Dead Space games "excellent sci-fi shooters"?

your argument makes no fucking sense

Get the DLC, and I'll coop the whole game with you.

guess i used the wrong word. I don't care about some western woman. not scoop, I meant story. sorry.

>Last time I checked, you can't murder every enemy with your bare hands in most horror games.
that's called survival horror

You got yourself a deal.

>The Thing was a horror movie because the alien monster was gross

You're seriously an idiot.

If you can't understand what made The Thing a horror movie, your opinions on dead space's "horror" elements are null and void.

>gets called out on his retarded argument
>"you just don't understand!"

>Giant space-walking was a fucking amazing idea
Decides to end it as it was getting good so you can go down to the fucking ice planet of who-gives-a-fuck

>Microtransactions
in a single player game

>Called DEAD. SPACE.
not actually in space for the majority. Not actually spooky

Not him, but people seem to have a skewed idea on what horror is.

I don't think you need to be frightened or scream for it, but unsettled, disturbed, or unnerved? Dead Space didn't exactly scare me save for a few times, but I was more spooped than I was [let's player scream. Mp4]. If I'm not mistaken, that is. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You don't understand.

Body horror doesnt make something part of the horror genre.

The Thing was a horror movie because it could be anyone or anything, which is where all the tension in the film comes from.

"Horror" without tension is just spooky imagery.

>The Thing was a horror movie because the alien monster was gross
this is not at all what I wrote in my post, and in fact I write here:
>is The Thing now officially not a horror movie according to your definition, despite both emphasizing first on being horrifying in nature and then using the body horror for added effect?
that the reason why The Thing was so scary is that it first and foremost tried to be horrifying in nature (using elements such as Whodunnit, how human behavior becomes maniacal when confronted with what is effectively an invisible threat) and then uses body horror to add to the horror experience

the mere fact that you only skimmed over my post and twisted whatever words you could fit into your monkey brain into your favor and regurgitated it onto your keyboard not only proves you don't have the slightest idea of how to classify horror, it also proves you're not worth arguing with because you don't have any fucking idea how to process the information being provided by the opposite discussant

fucking end yourself

Nope. EA seems determined to piss off anyone stupid enough to give them money.

The guy clearly stated in his post that The Thing had elements of body horror that added to its traditional horror features. He in no way stated that body horror was the only thing that made it a horror movie.

>>game about fighting for your life aboard an abandoned space ship filled with frightening monsters
Isaac didn't look very frightened to me. With his constantly updated protective suit and wide arsenal of weapons he was doing pretty well. Most of the scenes where he was "scrated" were scripted sequences of GIANT ASS MONSTER grappling him. I'm sorry but GIANT ASS MONSTER not really a horror on its own. I mean, Godzill is not a horror.

>arguably one of the game's main focal points is to horrify the player with chase sequences, generally unsettling environments and terrifying displays
terrify != horrify
Being scared to get down to 0 HP due to poor combat performance or lack of proper long-term resource management is not really horror-inducing. How many proper horror-media do you see relying on that?

>generally unsettling environments
Literally what.
I understand the unsettling and grotesque environments of Silent Hill (especially other world) and Amnesia (Choir level alone scared the shit out of me more than whole game to this point).

Where are unsettling environment in sci-fi setup fo Dead Space? The goopy mass in some rooms? Kek.

>terrifying displays

Oh yeah, display of body horror. "OH LOOK BLOOD OH LOOK GUTS FLYING! How scary".

>where does that leave movies like The Thing
The Thing had a better atmosphere and setting set up and it wasn't the "4 marines armed to shit went to kill Predator" movie. There was no prolong combat or resource management. Most of the encounters ended up pretty quick and deadly. You were a pray and you were fucked. Nothing alike to Dead Space.

(cont)

>i have no idea what's going on in your mind
Because you did not bother to try to understand me and just made a counterpoint filled with some random mash ups. I don't mind "food analogy" I mind bad one.

>then there's really no other classification for them
what else is there beneath the horror?
When the game makes these horrors elements primary and not supplementary?

>do we just go about calling the Dead Space games "excellent sci-fi shooters"?
Sure if it didn't have these horror elements and had more shooting.

Best gem no, I just want my game back please don't laugh.

Yeah, what I'm saying is that all that dead space has is body horror going for it.

It really doesnt have those other elements to prop it up, so it falls flat as a horror experience.

The most tense section in DS1 is a fucking turret minigame that has absolutely nothing to do with necromorphs. That alone means it failed as a horror game.

>Isaac didn't look very frightened to me. With his constantly updated protective suit and wide arsenal of weapons he was doing pretty well
what bearing does the main character's perception of the events in the game have on this argument when the game is setting out to scare YOU, the player?

>Most of the scenes where he was "scrated" were scripted sequences of GIANT ASS MONSTER grappling him. I'm sorry but GIANT ASS MONSTER not really a horror on its own. I mean, Godzill is not a horror.
what does "scrated" even mean

>terrify != horrify
what does this even fucking mean
holy fucking shit how can you be this autistic

>Being scared to get down to 0 HP due to poor combat performance or lack of proper long-term resource management is not really horror-inducing. How many proper horror-media do you see relying on that?
it's a survival horror game; almost ALL survival horror games share the elements of resource management and the promise of failure in case you neglect to manage your resources

>Where are unsettling environment in sci-fi setup fo Dead Space
i don't know, how about the medbay in which there's a plethora of bodies strewn about everywhere with the game more than once springing necromorphs at you from beneath decoy bodies?
or how about the garden, a place that's so serene in comparison to the areas in the previous half of the game that it makes you tense by default, and making use of the foliage and potted plants to hide necromorphs as you cautiously approach?

what am i to do in this case when you obviously don't afraid of anything and are seemingly unable to look at the unsettling environments of Dead Space without your tough guy bias?

>Oh yeah, display of body horror. "OH LOOK BLOOD OH LOOK GUTS FLYING! How scary".
oh, doesn't matter that you wander around and find mentally insane people mutilating each other, or a guy jamming a knife down some poor guy's throat and making you watch; nope, none of this is terrifying to any degree

>School shooting tokens
are you talking about those fucking origin points? Can we even use those yet?

Pretty sure they're just achievement points

>There was no prolong combat or resource management
again you reach into this
you are aware we're talking about a video game and that I brought up The Thing purely as a sake of referencing the similar themes both The Thing and Dead Space have, right? you can't bring up resource management or prolonged combat sequences in your comparison because it doesn't apply to movies, it applies to video games which have to have a core gameplay mechanic and not just be an interactive story

>When the game makes these horrors elements primary and not supplementary?
how does a game that puts grueling effort into making itself be as scary as possible while still maintaining shooter gameplay at its core not remain a horror game?

do you want every game to be amnesia, SOMA or Outlast because they adhere to your strict definition of what horror is?

>Sure if it didn't have these horror elements and had more shooting.
so you basically admit that Dead Space classifies under horror instead of some backhanded term like "sci-fi shooter"
because you sure as hell haven't made any attempt to determine its genre otherwise

>Because you did not bother to try to understand me and just made a counterpoint filled with some random mash ups. I don't mind "food analogy" I mind bad one.
oh no, i did bother to try and understand

but the fact of the matter is that this entire argument boils down to
A: you despise survival horror games
B: you come in with the unwavering mindset that Dead Space has no scary features at all
C: your personal definition of horror games is what prevails when it comes to classifying horror games

this will continue to go in circles because you are either unable or too fucking stupid to rid yourself of your bias and look at Dead Space from an objective viewpoint and see that it is indeed a horror game as it shares all of the qualities which you'd expect to find in a horror game while using a third person shooter as a vehicle for its gameplay

Assuming you used a controller.
M+K controls are ass because they fucked up the mouse acceleration, and it lags out the mouse with Vsync enabled.

>don't want to find my controller
how do I play dead space 2 with M+K? Am I fucked?

it's manageable
feels kind of clunky at first but you'll get used to it

>Chapter names spell out "Make Us Whole"

>Chapter 1: Where Am I?
>Chapter 2: I Need Transportation
>Chapter 3: I'm Back to Walking Again
>Chapter 4: Going to Church
>Chapter 5: Cold and Cryptic
>Chapter 6: I Need Some Transportation
>Chapter 7: Power from the Sun
>Chapter 8: Through the CEC
>Chapter 9: Transportation Preparation
>Chapter 10: Déjà Vu on the Ishimura
>Chapter 11: Down in the Mines
>Chapter 12: The Drill
>Chapter 13: Government Sector
>Chapter 14: Marker Access and a New Threat
>Chapter 15: It Ends Here

Wat.

1 was great 2 was fantastic i even got my Latvian friend who was super euro and quiet all the time into these games. i would show him jewtube clips of the action scene and he got hooked

remember how they started with putting out all this extra content? movies and motion comics to flesh out the universe. then it fucking just stopped and they made 3 and just fucked everyone who invested time into the lore for no pay off

i wanna cry

hey geniuses, that's not the one that attacks you. the one that attacks you is the one you go inside of because you woke it up like 5 minutes ago

I didn't know Engineer suit got Chroma version this year.

i'm pretty sure black science woman says that it's been long dead at the start of chapter 12

not to mention you rip its shit apart to get into it, you shoot the living hell out of its stomach with a probe gun and to top it all off it would have had to break through the cavern it was trapped in

how tho

>That feel when I have 1080p copies of The Thing and In the Mouth of Madness saved to my PS3 HDD in my bedroom to fall asleep watching.

>1982 The Thing.
>Norris-Thing and Dog-Thing still look fucking creepy to this day.

>2011 The Thing
>Every single monster's CGI looks laughably dated already.

This is why practical effects will always be superior.

>DS2 is the canon happy ending resolving Isaac's loose ends
>DS3 is fanfiction that never happened

my headcanon is top tier

>DS1
>Shoot left knee
>Switch angle.
>Shoot right shoulder
>Repeat on every standard/black necro.

Oh no, DS2 and DS3 are perfect with M+K. It's only DS1 that has issues.

>DS1
>Nicole illusion is a spooky ass zombie
>DS2
>Nicole illusion is a bloodied-up TV stuck on static
I never understood why they did this.

maby because issac knows shes dead now? also the marker was getting kinda aggressive with her as the game went on.