Was this the worst year for video games?

Was this the worst year for video games?

>The 360, though released late 2005, started the flood of half assed indie games
>The very heavily marketed Oblivion kicked off the modern trend of open world titles, while popularizing the concept of DLC
>The Wii was released, which while a successful console, was the downward slope that turned Nintendo into what it is today
>Smartphones saw their first wide spread adoption rate with the Blackberry (Though the first gen iphone wouldn't release until 2007)
>First major issues with PC/LGBT topics in video games, when Blizzard started banning players in WoW for talking about it in open chat

2006 had Company of Heroes though

>tfw videogames didn't even exist yet

I would argue 2007 was even worse, seeing as how Assassin's Creed started, thus sending Ubisoft on the path of believing it was a triple a dev and CoD 4 Modern Warfare was released, leading to the stream of mediocre modern FPS.

Also, I'm sure that some people here like those two games, but think about all of the damage they eventually caused.

I think most people agree that 2007 was definitely the turning point for video game quality going way down.

Oh, and TF2, a more casual version of the original Team Fortress, was released in 2007. I personally like it, but still, did it ever bring about some major retardation to Steam. Yes, even before it went free to play.

it was pretty bad, but 2012 was far worse.

>far cry 3 getting goty awards

2006 gave us God Hand, so for that alone you are definitely wrong, and possibly even a scrub.

is this b8? 2007 is one of the top 5 years

No
The year where we were playing Two world 2 and Too Human were the worst of years

2006 was okay. It started in 2008 or 09.

2007 started bad trends, not the actual decline.

The original release of TF2 was god-tier, though, and it remained pretty consistent until hats put it on a downward slope.

We can't fault things for what they eventually became. Within the confines of the year 2007, TF2 was a great release.

early 2000s/PS2 era is golden era of gaming, desu

Street Fighter x Tekken getting awards that year and being defended by retards in the Capcom FGC is even worse. I like how everyone can acknowledge it's shit now that there is no longer a prize pool for it, which most of the people defending it wouldn't have been able to access anyway.

>not enjoying far cry 3
how?? I had so much fun playing

>The very heavily marketed Oblivion kicked off the modern trend of open world titles
In what universe exactly? Open world games were already popular with GTA3, they even called them GTA Clones.

>Mass Effect 3 getting a 10/10 from gameinformer
I barely even gave a fuck about the ending after being so pissed off with the rest of the game.

There's two ways to look at this;
What year started terrible trends in vidya (2006 is a good example) or
What year had the outright worst games/lowest quantity of good games (this year is reeking of it right now)

This year had plenty of great titles and more to come

Like?

2006 produced Sonic 06 so yep.

2008 was the year gaming and the Internet began to decline

2015 was pretty mediocre. I can't think of any new games that caught my attention

>2007 started bad trends, not the actual decline.
this. it had a ton of good games but the writing was on the wall

Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4
Doom
Overwatch
Ratchet & Clank
God Eater 2
Atelier Sophie
SMTIV Final
Furi
Street Fighter 5
Planet Robobot
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
And many more to come

>inb4 le cynical user claims their all shit

undertale was basically it, maybe witcher 3 or mgsv if you like boring open world games

2007 was the beginning of the end.

2009 is when everything went to shit, and we still haven't recovered.

I only like 3 of these

>Street fighter 5
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
Game was borderline unplayable online because everyone would just disconnect if they were going to lose because crapcom didn't realize that would be a problem, not to mention several other fundamental issues with the game coming from it's predecessor.

ALL crap
>Mankind Divided
shit ending and completely unnecessary since HR provided a real ending to Adam's story anyway
>Dark Souls 3
Edgy trial and error westaboo shit that's even worse than 2
>Uncharted 4
What is the appeal of this series? To be Tomb Raider without tits?
>Doom
Even worse than 3
>Ratchet & Clank
Furry shit
>God Eater 2
kawaii uguu anime shit
>Atelier Sophie
see above
>SMTIV Final
grimdark edgy anime shit
>Furi
spic indie shit
>Street Fighter 5
8 frames, anime shit, hyper rushdown anal fuck: The Game, et cetera
>Planet Robobot
Simplistic game for babbies, now with gundams
>Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Furry anime shit for pedophiles and manchildren

Furry detected

2012 was a truly horrendous year for games.
>Capcom going full Crapcom
>Awful launch of the Wii U, something we're still feeling the effects of
> Huge disappointment of Mass Effect 3, and the gaming journalists lying and pretending that it was good
>Ninja Gaiden 3
>Silent Hill being further buried into the dirt
>Diablo 3
Only good thing about 2012 was Katawa Shoujo, and only because of the massive shitposting it caused which lead to the creation of /vg/.

it's been a year, it's not trendy to get butthurt about undertale anymore

>The very heavily marketed Oblivion kicked off the modern trend of open world titles, while popularizing the concept of DLC
No user, no.

While Oblivion's Horse Armour is real and fucking dogshit, the open world thing was started by Assassin's Creed. Before it came out, the only open world games there were on consoles were GTA(plus clones) or Bethesda games, outside of few exceptions(usually indies) happening every few years. However the featurelist open world games like Mad Max or Shadow of Mordor have its origins in AC, open world games were in general rarity in 7th gen(corridor shooters were far more common).

>Mankind Divided
>game made for people who unironically liked HR
>good

People still play that shit for real?
I know there is a mass effect general, but thats paid by EA, but tumbrltale.

The godfather on ps2 isnt the same way?
I think it came out earlier, and on PC was mafia 1, way before it too.

They were considered GTA clones and Mafia 1 isn't really open world in a modern sense.

So, gta was the 1st in that sense, but who started the mess?

2011. THE ABSOLUTE WORST YEAR. Everytime someone brings up 2011, I cringe.

Okay, but WHY was it the worst year?

Just because it's one of the top doesn't mean everything after was trash

2008 was a really good year for ps3 owners.
Mgs4, demon's souls, valkirya chronicles, motorstorm, siren, resistance, wipeout, disgaea 3(the best) and many others...

2006 gave us Twilight Princess though.