What's a good game to start Castlevania?

I've never played a Castlevania game before and I might e interested on it. I was going to play Aria of Sorrow on my iOS but it broke, what should I play while it gets fixed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=74ilWIh02mc
youtube.com/watch?v=O9FX95aFyr4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you want a well-designed linear action platformer, try Castlevania III

If you want a sprawling, RPG Metroid game, play Symphony of the Night

Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow are best IGAvanias. Unless you really don't mind how ugly Circle of the Moon is.

Castlevania 1 is a perfect game, IMO.

But if you're looking for metroid style, SotN is a good starting point.

dont play the oldvanias

Castlevania I for platforming, Symphony of the Night for Metroid-style exploration.

Just play the original, man, there's nothing wrong with it. You can pretty much play them in order after that, just skip Simon's Quest and the Gameboy game (said Gameboy game has a remake for Wiiware that's great, though).

Thanks guys, I've downloaded ROMs/ISO for I, III and SotN. I'm not into retro gaming that much though so I'll probably won't play the NES games that much.

Or is 5th gen considered retro now? idk.

Best CV games: 1, 3, Rondo

The wonderful fighting game for the Wii

in no order

amazing tier
castlevania
castlevania III
castlevania rondo of blood
castlevania belmonts revenge

great tier:
symphony of the night
super castlevania IV
castlevania bloodlines

good tier:
aria of sorrow
circle of the moon
portrait of ruin

okay/worth playing tier:
castlevania lords of shadow
castlevania the adventure rebirth
castlevania harmony of dissonance
castlevainia legends
castlevania order of ecclesia
castlevania dawn of sorrow

shit tier

the rest

The best ones are Ecclesia and Dracula X
I havent played bloodlines and aria

Super is shit
Rondo has the worst dracula fight in the series, X is the better version
SotN feels half baked
1 and 3 arent bad but X is just all around better in that style

By /vr/'s standards, all consoles made before 2000 are retro, so 5th Gen and the Dreamcast are retro.

Also if you're looking for Castlevania recommendations, try Rondo of Blood, it's the best "classic"-style game. Play I and III first, though.

a good chunk of /vr/ does not consider dreamcast retro, it was a controversial decision.

>he doesnt like the one where you can show your skills off

pleb

Spotted the casual

youtube.com/watch?v=74ilWIh02mc
vs
youtube.com/watch?v=O9FX95aFyr4

Harmony of despair is dogshit.

>Starting a dead series

You're right about that, but I'm just going off the rules for the board.

I really hope the rest of 6th Gen never becomes retro. I have nothing against 6th Gen and like a lot of games from there, but goddamn the shitstorm would kill /vr/ if it happened.

I've admittedly never played Dracula X, since I heard it was just a weak port of Rondo. Is it worth playing standalone?

>amazing tier
>CV1 and CV3

>okay/worth playing tier
>CV legends

no

>X is better because it's harder and cheaper even though it's a butchered port missing levels secrets etc.

That or some some snes fanboy pleb.

yes that is correct, although at first I had legends in shit tier.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

X is more difficult and linear. Also no maria or cutscenes. It is the better game in my opinion

I played Castlevania 1 for the first time in ages today. Been playing a lot of CV3 (best classic castlevania), so it's been pretty interesting going back to this one.

Hard mode in Castlevania 1 is a strange beast. Stage 2 gets totally pumped full of Medusa heads and Frankenstein's level is basically horseshit incarnate. But then the game basically doesn't feel any different from normal mode after that.

I wonder what CV1's reputation would be if you couldn't easily cheese frankenstein and death. Those fights are despicably random otherwise.

But I like Maria, she's fun as hell to play and the huge dissonance in tone between her and the rest of the game is hilarious.

Either way the two games play differently enough that is wouldnt be a waste to go through X

X is kusoge.

I'm not that big on retro games either, but for some reason Castlevania games are the exception. I played all of them in high school and they're just so fucking good.

The controls are stiff, but in a weird way you learn to love it and find it satisfying.