This was released in 2012

This was released in 2012.

There has not been a procedurally generated permadeath game remotely as good as this since.

>tfw the genre gets memed to death with shitty efforts before Derek can make another one

Other urls found in this thread:

bossfightbooks.com/products/spelunky-by-derek-yu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

derek is cool

Is the book worth checking out?

Binding of Isaac.

Spelunky is really good for that platforming permadeath but is right.
Rebirth/Afterbirth is good and cant wait for Afterbirth+

What about the game that was pretty similar to spelunky in ideas, but it was more DnD fantasy style? I don't remember the name.

You chose a class that determined your skills, starting equip, and stats. There was the warrior, thief, mage, and the berserker.

It was pretty damn fun.

Catacomb Kids?

Binding of Isaac, FTL, Caves of Qud, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Risk of Rain...OP, do you even roguelike?

Binding is pretty alright mechanically, and I do like it. However, it's also skinner boxy and inconsistent as fuck difficultywise.

A run without a half decent tear mod or damage upgrades is just a bad fucking time.

Spelunky is a lot more consistent, outside of layout and loot/shopkeeper variety. It's a better 'game' I think, despite Binding and it's randumness being often being a joy.

No, shit lemme find it.

Vagante

FTL was so much more fun before the advanced version. It really felt like they shit all over the balance with the advanced update.

I do, and I enjoy all of those games but... okay, you got me. Necrodancer is patrician as fuck. Anyway, all those games have flaws or just aren't mechanically as solid as Spelunky HD.

What about Risk of Rain tho?

Already went into Isaac's issues, despite liking it very much.

FTL is great, but let's be fucking real. You get fucked real, irrecoverably bad with some runs. There's no 'skilling' it at times.

Haven't played Caves of Qud.

Necrodancer is definitely up there with Binding and Spelunky. Especially with a decent mat.

Risk of Rain, eh... can we even call it a roguelike? The layout is static, just the spawns vary. In any case... it's okayyy? Just doesn't get me off like it does other Cred Forumsirgins

Have you checked out Vagante and Catacomb Kids? They're not really the same kind of game, but both are great.

I'll check'em, family.

crypt of the necrodancer

Both of these games look and feel terrible. I have no idea why they're so popular.

The layouts aren't static, they're generally the same but do vary with each iteration

Probably because you're an awful no-taste? The genre probably isn't for you, in all seriousness.

I've tried the demo of both of those and they just don't do it for me. I think it's the fog of war, that's a dumb choice. Makes the game so damn slow since you never see what's coming.

Has terrible level gen.

Risk of Rain has hand crafted levels that featured chunks that have an A variant and a B variant. There's only a couple of these variants per level so a beach level AAAB feels pretty much exactly the same as a beach level BABA. It's not meaningful in any sense and has no place in this thread.

I was interested in Stafe until I learned it has only pre-made rooms.

So Spire is the only upcoming roguelite that has me interested. Their post on level generation makes me hopeful. Webm related.

I liked it. It read it hoping to pick up some pointers on game programming, but honestly it was all game design philosophy.

It takes like 2 hours to read, and you can find it free online.

What book exactly

bossfightbooks.com/products/spelunky-by-derek-yu

Check out Teleglitch. I've put 30 or so hours into it.

Had enough of knifeplay from RE4 to last me a lifetime.

Fuck you dude. Play enter the gungeon.

Not a real fan of procedurally generated games.

Enter the Gungeon is such a boring game

I played it once it came out and got bored by how slow it is.

Nuclear Throne and Isaac do not mix well.

I mean, if you're an idiot sure. But objectively speaking no. It's humor is on par and the levels and game play are solid. Plus there is a ton to collect every single time you enter the dungeon.

This game tried so hard and failed.
>ten million different guns
>95% of them are worthless shit not even worth switching to them

Yeah if you can bear doing the first hour of the run on the starter pistol that does shit for damage

The starts are so fucking slow to get anywhere interesting that I don't know why people like it

There's Nuclear Throne which is pretty fun, but quite different

Save your keys, explore the first dungeon. Get gud. Get a different gun. It isn't hard

It's still shit.
Not him btw

Or I could play Nuclear Throne and beat the game in the time it takes me to play the first stage of the game and have way more fun

I absolutely love the freeware version of Spelunky (I'm in the top 20 leaderboards AMA), but they dropped a lot of good features in the HD version (such as the unlockable minigame challenge modes) and its artstyle is a bit unwieldy.

I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT STRAFE!!

what's going on here?

I wanted to love this game after putting so much time into BoI and NT, but it just felt so sloggy, enemies are so fucking spongy with inflated health on the the same enemies in later floors, bosses even more so. Guns are largely samey with little variation, mostly being gimmicky stuff, and ammo being scarce and specifically typed to a single gun makes things so even more slow.

anyway, hope Afterbirth + comes out soon and we get some cool mods

Best """roguelike""" ive ever played tbvh

>enter a level
>something triggers an explosion near a shop
>"Terrorist!"
>restart game