Any similar games to this that are worth playing?

Any similar games to this that are worth playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/224440/?snr=1_5_9__300
store.steampowered.com/app/40950/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you mean building and town management games, or games with a comfy atmosphere that ends with you watching orphan children starve and freeze to death because you didn't notice you had an idle farmer like 10 winters back?

more just medieval village town management shit. I mean I played rimworld for a bit, but I'm not feeling the sci fi feel anymore really. Course the latter is always fun too.

The Steam Store page for Banished has this as one of its recommendations:

store.steampowered.com/app/224440/?snr=1_5_9__300

Have no idea if it's any good or not, plus it's early access. But so was Banished when I bought it.

Also the original Stronghold games were pretty cool castle sims

store.steampowered.com/app/40950/

Yeah I saw that too and I was interested. Wanted to know if Cred Forums knew anything else.

Any city builder by Impression Games.

Get that early access shit ouf of here

What's the end-game?

How the fuck should I know. Greedy fucks end up taking all the food and letting all the farmers starve to death and then in turn everyone else.

eventual death

You expand until you can't anymore. There is no "end game."

RimWorld is kind of similar even though you manage a colony instead of a town and combat is tower defense shit

Just like real Human civilization.

>store.steampowered.com/app/224440/?snr=1_5_9__300

>Been in EA for 3 years
>20 dollaroos.

Anno 1404 is the closest.

Pain, suffering, and thousands of crops

>what is space

>Implying we've broken through to the final frontier.

Thats not what I was implying at all

Your game becomes a slideshow due to all the people running around, then something small goes wrong and snowballs into extinction.

I wish they had more dramatic deaths; leaving corpses. Instead of disappearing into thin air.

>tfw unironically love Cultures games
Fite me.

dwarf fortress

fuck that shit man. I don't have matrix vision.

Still no actual art?

It's not even a real ASCII game, it's fucking sprites that mimic ASCII. Toady is such a fucking autist.

Not with that attitude.

What's so controversial about that, I love them too. Played C1 as a kid (had to speed it up with a cheat because fuck that pace), and then C2 and expansions later.

Anno 1602
Anno 1503
Anno 1404

There's barely a mid-game.

You get used to it SUPER fast.
If you don't want to bother download LNP and use a tileset to make it more eye appealing.

>playing dumped down DF
for what purpose?

Because it has a UI

>Cant spend a couple of hours to learn a complicated but efficient UI
If you don't have any dedication or patience then maybe DF isn't the game for you.

Snoop Dogg Presents: Grownin' Dat Chronic and Juice - 15th Century Style

downloading tilepack is easy if you're not one of those neo-Cred Forums fags who can't do anything harder than press "start" button

>efficient UI
What game are you talking about bro, because it's not fucking Dwarf Fortress.

It doesnt have a UI

What about that Russian Banished rip off?

It does have a UI, it's just a very clumsy, barebones one that was quite clearly designed by an autist for other autists.

People will defend it, but they're fucking wrong. inb4 "CASUAL REEEEEEEEE" posts

That's like telling someone that wants some more movies like El Dorado to go watch Aguirre die Zorn Gottes

Well its a Russian banished rip off

>UI
>user interface
>it doesn't have user interface
>Retards think that you play DF by writing lines into a code

>thinking what is basically a one button copy/paste for lines of code is a UI
Dumb frogposter

CASUAL REEEEEEEEE

Now seriously, with a tileset it is very manageable. Granted, it's difficult to learn where everything is, but you'll never remember it all anyway. No one does.

Plus, the "something snowballs and anyone dies" is actually masterfully designed and enjoyable.

>it's not a UI if I don't like it

>b
>Gives me a list of all the construtions
>After press W
>Gives me a list of all Workshops
>or press E
>Gives me a list of all the furnaces
I haven't played DF is years but i still remember that shit because it's just about memory and knowing how to use a keyboard.
rrrrrrreeeeEEEEE-

Its not a UI if its not a UI. DF doesnt have a UI.

>Death by famine.
>winters are harsh.

why would the Russians rip this off?

>everything that don't suit MY liking is not an UI
fucking liberal

Dude, I played DF obsessively for years before I realized Toady was a fucking madman who would never improve the basics because he was too busy adding dynamic hair growth to dwarf beards and other, non-memeing literally autistic details.

The UI is shit, and has been since day one. If he improved it I'd probably come back and play again but I've given up hopes of it being a real game and relegated it to perma-alpha autism simulator.

They're too busy LARPing it.

>expand
>build
>get a glut of food/villagers
>expand
>build
>get a glut of food/villagers/tools etc
>expand
>get gated by shitty infrastructure and poor planning
>run out of fire wood
>everyone except the fire wood chopper dies
>he eventually starves

>Toady was a fucking madman who would never improve the basics because he was too busy adding dynamic hair growth to dwarf beards
Are you implying things should be otherwise? This is perfection.

making it more than one core is priority not """"""improving"""""" UI

>everything that proves im a moron needs TWO samefag replies
Fucking frogposter

so recommending them something far greater

>add spilling beer
>cats get drunk from licking the spilt beer off their feet
>cats throw up everywhere

>User Interface
>Visual part of computer application or operating system through which a user interacts with a computer or a software. It determines how commands are given to the computer or the program and how information is displayed on the screen. Three main types of user interfaces are (1) Command language: the user must know the machine and program-specific instructions or codes. (2) Menus: user chooses the commands from lists displayed on the screen. (3) Graphical user interface (GUI): user gives commands by selecting and clicking on icons displayed on the screen. See also interface
Explain me how DF doesn't possess a UI

>stopped playing in like 2009
>still single core
Proving my point friendo.

What is hard in DF is managing railroads, damn it's fucking hard even with guide

Tropico

What's even more hard is building a track that will actually serve some purpose, considering the time sink it is to build and manage one, both in real and in game time. I just use truckloads of wheelbarrows since it's too much of a bother

I already did, learn to read.

your point is retarded, none beside you and those who never played DF complains about UI. Priority is multi-core > improved single player > tectonic plate move calculation > dynamic hair growth >>>>>> improved UI

stop taking the b8
Stop making the b8

If you mean
>a one button copy/paste for lines of code
By that or any definition (that isn't the one you made up in your head) of UI, it is

Its true though. You can yell that blue pen is red all you want but that doesnt make you right. DF doesnt have a UI.

>What's even more hard is building a track that will actually serve some purpose
In one fort I had an area at lava level with tons of furnaces and smithys, plus living quarters for those professions. Carts would bring raw materials and food down, and ship the finished goods up. It was pretty rad

How did you make sure the food went down there and not to the other stockpiles at the top levels?

You can link stockpiles and workshops, he just needed to have a kitchen making food only for those guys linked with the input stockpile of the track

Priority and stockpile linking mumbojumbo. I don't know the details, it's been a while, but they were always well-stocked

Talking about Banished, I saw someone made a clone of it, feudal something. It's more or less the exact same with better graphics.

what is the comfiest place to build fort: mountain, forest, tundra, island or desert?

Beach hills.
>Waves crashing on the beach
>Making systems to capture whales
>Feed the fort for a whole year

False equivalency.

They are presenting you with a fountain pen and saying "This is a pen."

You are looking at that fountain pen and saying "That is not a ballpoint pen therefore I do not consider it a pen, as fountain pens are outside the realm of my experience."

Terrifying saltwater marsh in arctic climate near a Necromancer tower

I don't think I even required a dedicated kitchen, I just somehow had the output stockpile from the kitchen linked to the one at the bottom, maybe going over an intermediary also

>and combat is tower defense shit

What? You want to build proper defences and gear up some colonists for combat. Defense turrets aren't going to cut it in the later game.

Plus there are tons of mods that make it even more interesting.

Actually the UI is very intuitive once you grasp the concept of how things exist in the game. Once you know how to interact with the different layers of what exists in a tile you can do tons of things.

Like literally strip the armor and weapons of caravan guards without it counting as theft, or managing the resources used in mood crafting.

>Actually the UI is very intuitive once you grasp the concept of how things exist in the game.
>it's intuitive after you get over it not being intuitive

I think he's referring to killboxes. It's basically impossible to play without them if you want to survive. I tried not using it but it didn't end up well, biggest problem being grenade chucking cunts and tribal mobs. The injuries and bad mood just pile up until the colony starts falling apart.

Pic related design is very basic but it worked for me pretty well, didn't have an invasion even scratch a colonist for a very long time but generally I need to rebuild one turret and any activated mines.

Not him but it's actually really efficient once you've acquired enough muscle memory and memorization. Keyboard shortcuts are pretty fast, and there's mouse support for things like designations. Also with macros you can really speed up the construction of repetitive stuff like bedrooms

Also manhunter packs fucking you up

Yes. Otherwise I would be saying it is inherently intuitive which is not the case.

The problem with DF isn't the UI, that is fine. It is all the required eternal knowledge about how the game works and how to get things working that requires either watching tutorials or having the wiki open, that is the problem.

You know that colonists can stand behind a wall and shoot around the corner right?

I had a Warg and 2-3 Buffalo manhunter packs(see them in that pic in the fridge). For some reason only Wargs got into my base, but they got mowed down really quick. The Buffalos were a bigger problem since they just hanged out on the upper part of the map so I had to pick them off 1 by 1 with a sniper until I cleared them all out.

But doesnt that affect their radius? Instead of 180 degrees they only get 90

Build a single wall piece. Put a barricade to each side of it. They can still pretty much fire at anything in a 180 degree arc.

Have a few of those setups so you can move the colonist around if he cannot get a shot from the one he is at currently.

Then laugh as filthy tribals get mowed down by a row of these with colonists, with automatic weaponry, behind them that are nearly impervious to return fire thanks to the cover.

Add turrets as needed closer to where the enemy comes from to draw the enemy fire and add a little more of your own.

>no wall cover for your guys
>no darkness for your guys or many turrets
>enemy areas aren't lit up for max accuracy
>short, no time for snipers to bully enemies
Shit user step it up
Also don't those turrets chainreact

Buffalos have endless hp so I usually wouldn't be able to kill them before they overran my positions without a killox

Landmines.

Also work better when funneled though

Muffalos are one of the worst manhunter packs due to their HP, but you can still bait them easy enough.

As said you need to work on your sniper game. Range is super important in this game. If you can out range your enemies you can end up breaking them before they can do any real damage.

Also invest in Bionics that will help with accuracy and movement speed.

Ah yeah I get it now. I guess if you build it spacious enough it won't matter that the colonist won't be able to shoot directly under him when everyone basically covers each others flanks.

You tried experimenting with melee? The only purpose I found is for running down wounded escaping enemies and battering them to death with a mace.

What happened is that I delayed building up defenses and I got a few risky invasions so I decided to just close everything off and build tunnels so I can have concentrated enemy invasion and not having them flank me from everywhere or seek cover. Pic related is what I did, and then just started adding stuff since I couldn't risk redesigning everything.

Just need good firepower, nothing more to it. Also some rocks thrown at entrances to slow the movement down so they don't all come together in a huge deathstack.

forgot pic

>It is all the required eternal knowledge about how the game works
Which is made worse by the shitty UI. Idiot.

Melee is near worthless except for infestations i've found. Sure you could give someone a Power Claw, Shield, and Bionic Legs/Feet for speed, but such a waste of resources compared to what it takes to put some mook with a gun behind a wall.

I make it a point that if they can't handle a gun, they don't get to stay in my colony.

Check out some of the mods that add more defenses too. There is at least one that adds an mounted heavy machine gun on a metal barricade. Great fun to have.

>Which is made worse by the shitty UI. Idiot.
It is only shitty if you are some sort of mong that is incapable of learning.

Like you said I found melee useful only for infestations, but not by fighting. Since I give him a shield I just line up my guys in a room with guns ready and tell melee to aggro the bugs and then quickly run back to the room with all my guys ready. Shield prevents him from dying and he's expendable since nothing of value is lost if the fire is too much or if the bugs cut him up.

My criteria for recruiting was if they can't haul/clean they can fuck off, unless they have a really high shooting skill. Amount of professions that cant haul is just ridiculous though.

I saw quite a few interesting mods but didn't wanna touch them yet. Gonna wait for some more updates then gonna mod it and jump in again, try maybe desert this time. Gonna be interesting when there's no wood on the map.

You have the makings of a defense network there, but it needs improvement.

The funneling is a nice idea, but you are not setup to take best advantage of it by hitting them whilst they are still in the funnel.

Your colonists are also horribly exposed where they are even with the barricades. You would be better served putting up a few individual walls there for them to hide behind.

And whilst it might give the enemy a slight advantage it might be worth looking at paving over the area between the funnel exit, the barricades, and the turrets. Then no more trees to worry about fucking up your line of sight.

You might as well start with mods now. The late game of vanilla is pretty bland. And the weapons are sub-par in terms of variety.

There are also some nifty mods that add new enemies which really shake things up.

And advanced bionics can make your colonists into gods. The stacking from efficiency buffs is insane. To the point where you could have a fully bionic doctor doing advanced operations in the dark with herbal medicine and still have like a 300% success rate whilst only taking a few seconds.

>advanced bionics can make your colonists into gods
This is what I want, but with melee. Handful of spacemarines cutting down filthy savages by the dozens.

And maybe being able to raid their bases too.

Given how fast they can get with the bionics, and that there is Advanced Power Arms, this could be do-able. Plus a lot of those more interesting mods add new melee stuff to the game.