What's this game about? Is it just some guy?

What's this game about? Is it just some guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Gothic_II
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic
youtube.com/watch?v=BdTcofHsINQ
youtu.be/rp0UbFHnGVs
youtube.com/watch?v=LqmpxVqxP2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=_3qWRGNsq4g
youtube.com/watch?v=ws7hiLOBdoY
youtube.com/watch?v=RuNPdkys1Mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why is it called Gothic? Is about Goths?

you play as random guy who happened to end up in the prison and did lots of epic shit

in second installment of series, you do more epic shit, but this time itty bitty more generic. notr fixes it though

>notr
What's that? I'm downloading Gold Edition.

pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Gothic_II

notr is add-on that makes g2 more gothic-y, it's bundled in gold edition.

>more gothic-y
Seriously why is it called Gothic? Is the guy a Goth?

Do you even know what Gothic means?

What was his name again?

>Gothic
>Goths or Gothic people, the ethnonym of a group of East Germanic tribes
Yeah I know what it fucking means, but I don't know anything about the game. I'm asking if the guy is a Goth.

Play the first game first. You will have more fun with the second game if you do this.

it's about some guy doing some stuff for some reason

I'm downloading the first game now. Is it a long game?

it's amazing game

Not as long as the second game. It has a lot of replay value though because the early game is different for each faction you can join.
It is really fun though and it pays off to play it before the second game since both games have a lot of overlapping characters and story.
The controls are much worse than the second game, but it's bearable.

Follow instructions here
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic

And these ones for G2

I've been replaying G2 NotR for the past few weeks. Pure dexterity build (+pickpocket/sneaking/lockpicks/ancient language/goblin berry potion).
Not relying on maps or guides or other shit.
End of Act 3, hit 160 dexterity and 64% bow mastery. Have to wear dex jewelry+belt though.
Everything fucking dies except trolls, have to rely on Beliar 1-hander lightning procs
Game is THE fucking SHIT, level design is absolutely stunning
I literally cry when feggits from Cred Forums claim they have never played g1/2, and they can fuck right off with their shiity dark souls

>not just straffing Trolls to death

Yeah, I played Dex build last year, it was pretty good. Str build is even more overpowered, since you can use crossbows.

I did Mage build ages ago, but I don't remember how it went, so I'll probably do one again soonish.

>Is it a long game?
Nah, fairly short for an rpg. G2 on the other hand is long.

>tfw you pommel the black troll to death with a heavy club over the course of 2 hours

that exp tho

Small time, I climbed the column in front of the cave and Fire Arrow'd it to death by constantly equipping/unequipping the Ring of Astral Power.

It took a lot of Fire Arrows.

Jesus, the most I did to cheese the AI was make hordes of orcs follow me to the huge battering ram and snipe them from there.

Well, see, the upside of cheesing the AI early in the game is that later in the game you will never have to do it again. I killed off all those orcs without any special tactic. Once in Chapter two, and once when they respawned. Chapter 4, I think.

>make hordes of orcs follow me to the huge battering ram and snipe them from there
You know, some tactics just simply werk.

If this game is so amazing as Cred Forums claims it be why has literally nobody played it outside of germany and Cred Forums?

Because you're a Morrowind player. Hard to imagine a worse fate.

That's "germany, eastern yurop, and Cred Forums", you asshole. Yes, I'm offended.

you mean, "why has literally nobody played it in US". It's super popular vidya in entire Europe, especially eastern part of it. I'm from Poland, and it's basically a classic that everyone interested in RPG genre has played at some point in their lives.

I just installed the first game and it won't run god damn it...

You mean it doesn't even start?

Just a heads up if anybody is interested, Gothic II gold edition is 2.5€ at humble right now.

It started now but the intro doesn't play, just a black screen with sound. The game runs though. Shit the controls are clunky...how do I talk to people? So far I just got random people talk to me automatically.

Did you use the fanpatches mentioned here There's one for the videos too.

Is that why The Witcher plays almost exactly like it?

Pretty much. Gothic was a huge influence for TW1.

Yeah. Witcher devs were even talking about gothic influences in some review, i don't quite remember which one.

I also think i've heard some sounds from G1 in W3 Blood and Wine, it could be some kind of easter egg.

>Shit the controls are clunky...how do I talk to people? So far I just got random people talk to me automatically.

Ah yeah, the essential Gothic experience. Although usually it starts with the torch, and by the time they reach NPCs most players understand how it works.

Gothic controls follow a very simple logic, and it is used for everything in the game. You have one key for "I want to do something", depending on what you chose that can be Ctrl or LMB by default. You have to hold that key, and then give the direction of the action you want performed with WASD/direction keys/etc. So if you want to pick something up or talk to someone, you hold the action key, and press up. If you want to loot a chest you hold action, press up, move items with right, then close chest with down. And so on.

Marvin.

Werther

Is the action key the same as a attack? I got into a fight with...some kinda chicken...and there doesn't seem to be an actual attack button, you have to move forward while pressing the action key I think. Also, is there stamina for the jumping? I notice I don't jump as high after a while.

>My name is...
>I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR NAME
good game

I actually really like how much sense the entire control scheme makes. It's not your modern PRESS A BUTTON = SOMETHING AWESOME HAS TO HAPPEN, but the way you put it with getting into ready mode and then actually DOING something is great.

Yeah, combat works the same way. You can't perform usual actions in combat mode, and for example can't strafe in non-combat mode. But the logic is the same.

There is no stamina, how high you can jump depends mostly on the terrain.

>boot up Gothic 1 for the first time
>menus are controlled with the keyboard
>no fullscreen option

wew lad

So you can't accidentally punch someone in the face in this game?

Yeah, but it's clear that when you first return to the Valley you're supposed to run for your life and pray you get to the keep in time so orcs don't make you their bitch. You're not really supposed to explore the valley.

I got fullscreen, even widescreen. The intro wasn't playing, but I managed to fix that by changing one thing in the ini file.

Gothic 1 is actually best experienced with keyboard-only.

You also need to change controls game's shit fucken dropped!

Just so you know OP there is this magical mod

>mfw all those ways of getting into Khorinis

It runs even in widescreen. As for controls, I'm used to it. You can use xpadder and play with a gamepad, G2 is good with mouse.

DA IST EEERRR!

That works like shit.
Did..did you just swim there?

Yep. If you enter combat mode around them NPCs will start screaming at you, so it would be hard to hit someone unintended.

I love it too. I always though it was a bit of a shame Gothic 2 semi-scrapped it. By adding in actions that only need a single key the whole system becomes a lot less intuitive.

> shit is still shit
> redundancy is a logical rationalization

i wouldnt be commenting if you said "but it's mine"

youtube.com/watch?v=BdTcofHsINQ

UKA CHAKA!

Looks good, but I'm not sure my i3 4000M - Intel HD 4600 laptop would run it well.

MUCHA CHAKA
TE LÁZADÓ, TE!
youtu.be/rp0UbFHnGVs

One major thing I would change in 1 and 2 would be the lockpicking system. It just comes down to pattern memorization and then loading the game and executing it perfectly without wasting lockpicks. They already made pickpocketing more useful in the second game.

Guybrush Threepwood

УКA ЧAКA
ГAPAЗA ДУTA!

Well, at least in G2 you have to learn the basic lockpicking skill to do it. Although I'm not really a fan of Risen's chest tier system, I guess it solves the problem.

You fight like a cow!

gothic was fucking awesome fight me one on one
i don't even get the whole hate of it being being railroaded after chapter 3 because doesn't every rpg game does that shit, you're getting funneled intro fighting the big bad
getting new armor and weapons in this game was god tier

Rhobar III

FIND ME A GAME WHERE GETTING A NEW ARMOR WAS SUCH A BIG DEAL LIKE IN GOTHIC
in medieval setting it should be like getting a new car, everyone should be amazed; a new armor could easily cost you a couple of castles or whatnot.

Never finished the trash that was [REDACTED. Memesquad sent to this posters home to remove all traces of his existance] but was that actually his name or did he just take the name when he became king? Seems kind of cucky to kill a king and then take his name. Or was he actually his illegitimate son or something and thats why he was banished to the colony?

is there an RPG that feels more medieval than Gothic?

Don't do that to yourself.
Even Gothic 3 isn't worth it.
Lore is fucked. Just let it go.

Theres a car in gothic, so yes.

>Lore is fucked
why

>Even Gothic 3 isn't worth it.

Le gothicc 3 is bad meme XDD

End that pathetic self you call yourself

It wasn't his real name and he is unrelated to the king. He takes it as a reference to the original Avatar of Innos who defeated the Beast.

It... doesn't really make much sense following the Xardas end which is canon in all sequels, but there you go. We never learn his real name, although there is that one moment where the story derps and goes with "ha ha, he never had a name".

Risen 1 but don't go in with hopes of getting a new experience. It gets fucked second game in the series.

There's not much consistent to begin with, and they fuck it up even more in "choose ur god" ending of G3.

He's right, Gothic 3 is trash. Even after all the patches that mostly fixed how incredibly broken and buggy it was, the game in itself is just awful. Its quite frankly a disgusting game. Le allegory time: like watching Fellowship of the Ring, then Two Towers, and then when you watch Return of the King its just a fucking cheap puppet show in Serbian and then you get murdered in real life

Mount & Balade

but it really is, i thought it was quite obvious they wanted that world ended with the third game

>they wanted that world ended with the third game
Risen disagrees with you.

Mountain Blade is too military and politics. When I think of medieval I think of the living conditions the lower classes had to live through; whether it's farmers or shepherds that had to keep brigands away from their property. It's unfortunate that most of history comes from the upper class point of view.

Gothic 3 is a horseshit and always was.

no u r horseshit

No amount of community patches can really fix that game. It's broken at its core.

no it was completely different
gothic was all about magic barriers, 1st game to the last one
risen is all about ancient lizardtits tombs rising from the ground

Most of history was the decisions of the upper class, so that's quite understandable.

Gothic is also the term used for a style of medieval architecture as well as blackletter.

wrong
wrong
wrong

back to rpgcuckdex, virgins

What's good about it?

>rpgcodex

Wow it actually still exists. I was convinced it was gone ages ago.

i love you unconditionally

Just saying, but Gothic 2 didn't have any magic barriers. Not even a tiny one.

Meanwhile Risen is so fucking closely connected to Gothic lore it takes place weeks, at most moths after Gothic 3. Hell, it has more continuity with Gothic 2 than Gothic fucking 3.

DAAAAAAA ISSST EEEERRRR

Why do I get the urge to rythmically click W while holding LMB?

there was a magic barrier in gothic 2 as it fell off from a penal colony from gothic 1 in the intro har har
of course you're right
as for risen it was completely another world

>try this
>follow guide
>looks great
>suddenly text is tiny
>suddenly my character model disappears
>suddenly xardas' model inverts itself
> my character model reappears, inverted
>fall through world

Yeah but that term is literally referring to the Gothic barbarians because the style was perceived as barbaric during the renaissance

So is the DX11 renderer recommended with both games?

Absolutely not. It's buggy as hell and updating as abandoned as far as I know.

Imagine the uproar if a developer came out with a poster like this nowadays

>as for risen it was completely another world
Mate, Mendoza has a fucking speech where he starts screaming "The Gods are gone! The King is dead! We are royally fucked!" right in your face.

to: everyone being a bitch about gothic 1/2 not running on their memesystems
do: download system pack (google it retard)
that's a reference

I chipped my tooth playing Gothic 2. A motherfucking dinosaur jumped on me from the bushes and I freaked out

They just have to use this one instead and they'll even get the Nobel Peace Prize while Merkel personally gives each and every one of them a blowjob.

I love how the few women you encounter in Gothic are either slaves or housewives. Especially 3 had like four or five women in it, not more.

>Uproar
More like free advertisement

Tbh it can be unnerving how insistent some of the monsters in PB games can be.

Like boars in unpatched G3. You get hit and you're done.

>that's a reference
And all that talk about Beliar was a reference too? The reasoning and lore behind the magic system only a reference?

And this was also just a reference?
youtube.com/watch?v=LqmpxVqxP2Q

Come on, man.

yeah they're fucking dangerous. Especially in packs

>3 had like four or five women in it, not more
Nah, a bit more.

I'd say about 4 per continent, not counting liberated cities.

that's called realism in the middle ages. Living has become so easy.

I'll be the first one to say that Gothic 3 wasn't a pinnacle of gaming. It was great while playing, but getting more shit the more you played it.

It was a mistake with them trying to be all open world and all that jazz, but first two parts are still holding up.

Maybe except the second one they're all literally crap at this point.

Man gothic 1 and 2 together made for probably one of the most fun RPG quests i've ever played.

I liked that it was open world but it still had level design and the pacing was linear, it was an open world but you still had to go to one area before you could even take on another area.

Also all the different ways to finish quests was neat, i think the only 3D open world RPG game I've played that has that many options for its quests is new vegas.

gothic is basically all a penal colony, in second one you have plenty of housewifes on farms to go around

I still remember the first time I barged in into someones some because I wanted to sleep.
As I woke up there were like 5 guys who kicked the shit out of me and I lost most of my ore.

>It has a lot of replay value though because the early game is different for each faction you can join.
You can complete all of their quests, though, and you have to do the same quests for everyone from there on out.

Because of nostalgia goggles. G2 is a good game but G1 is hot garbage.

no
how you behave yourself in the game matters much more than anything from skyrim or oblivion
if you get familiar with thieves guild you get like 3 quests from militia who wants you to put an end to thieves
which you can have no affiliation to, or you could just randomly open the door to their hideout

And the third one takes place on the mainland, three continents, 20 cities, and literally 3 named female NPCs.

my favorite was that early quest where you're trying to get the apprenticeship.

I think I've gotten that orc weapon in like 9 different ways, and only 2 of them involved killing an orc when i shouldn't be able to.

I'm pretty sure the door is locked until you can join, but I really don't have any problems with G2. It's a solid game.

you my bros

Ah, Seekers. I will never forget my first encounter with them.

If you turn in anyone dealing with the Guild, Guild will send hitman after you regardless if you do quest for Guard or not.

So do you just do errands for the entire game? Does have no drama?

let's find a consensus here
in gothic they would be violent toward you if you violated their private property
in skyrim they just said "plz leave, ralph plz go"
this is an abhorrence to private property
i mean you'd probably get a crossbow and aimed for their balls right

In Gothic 2 the main plot is absolutely clear from the opening cinematic. In Gothic 1 it kinda is too - escaping the barrier. Details will become clear in the second half.

>Does have no drama?
Not much drama. Unless you consider the series to be about the relationship of a young man and an old wizard.

I don't know guys...I'm kinda feeling a sausage fest in this game...

Embrace it.

In Gothic 1 you're crossing the barrier for the first time, what are you even talking about. The "drama" is that you can't ever cross it back, you simply die if you try, because it's magic and shit.

And I feel like I should be going to work instead of playing this...I don't feel much purpose in this...at least with work I can make money to buy food. This game isn't connecting with me on an emotional level.

>gamer generation raised by PS3 and PS4

At least it makes you think.

It has nothing to do with generation, it's just taste.
>inb4shittaste
aesthetics aren't universal.

So was Nameless kill at the start of G2 or was he still alive?

we were different no matter what you think

The armor protected him, no?

who 17f here

everyone's different, but in any case I meant that I'm not in any 'PS3 and PS4 gen'.

>This game isn't connecting with me on an emotional level.

This sounds like a typical kid that grew up on The Last of Us.

Maybe, it is somewhat ambiguous. Xardas tells him that, but it just as easily could be a lie. The manual says Xardas summoned his soul, and the reason he is so weak at the start is because his death throes lasted for weeks and he suffered such incredible agony it completely broke him. That amnesia must have been a small mercy.

Now I'm not completely sure here, in my language we don't use the word "death throe" unless it most definitely ended in death, but I don't really know about how it is in German.

It could as easily be another main character.
Except in Gothic 2 his general looks are retained.

But you know, Xardas isn't called The Necromancer for nothing.

I just don't sense any heroism here. It's all just drudgery. I get enough of that in real life.

Here's the exact quote from the manual:
>Xardas, Dämonenbeschwörer und Mentor unseres Helden, erkennt als einer von wenigen die verzwickte Situation. Er befreit den namenlosen Helden aus dem Tempel und erweckt ihn wieder zu neuem Leben - mit dem Ziel, die Geheimnisse des Minentals zu entschlüsseln und die wahren Drahtzieher zu entlarven, die hinter dieser tödlichen Bedrohung stehen.

>Doch der wochenlange Todeskampf tief unter den Trümmern des Tempels, die unsäglichen Leiden und Qualen haben deutliche Spuren hinterlassen: Kraftlos und armselig wirkt der Mensch, dessen Seele Xardas da in sein Pentagramm gerufen hat. Zum zweiten Mal lastet das Wohl des gesamten Landes auf den Schultern dieses Helden - doch da er so schwach geworden ist, hat er so vieles vergessen!

"erweckt ihn wieder zu neuem Leben", "todeskampf", and "dessen Seele Xardas da in sein Pentagramm gerufen hat" doesn't really make it sound like he was still among the ranks of the living.

except it's right there in the intro of gothic 2
it's being said outright that xardas teleported MC into his tower, not raised him from the dead or whatever

And the manual says the opposite, and G2's story summary in the manual was actually written by PB.

And just for fun:
>(confused) No. That cannot be. Xardas always said...

it's strange why are are some people drooling over dark souls when there's less of a lore than in any of gothic series
is it because that one game was japanese and this one isn't or something?
in every gothic game you have to raise yourself from bottom up, nothing new about it

In Gothic 3 you start with 100 in every stat and the best one-handed sword of Gothic 2 that isn't the Claw, so not really. Not even from a gameplay point of view, you are a lot more efficient at combat from the start than in either 1 or 2, and in the story you are instantly treated as an experienced veteran warrior by everyone.

i unironically enjoy the combat at some twisted level of me in both 1 and 2

STECK DIE SCHEISS WAFFE WEG!

There is honestly nothing wrong with that.
The hate it gets is nowhere near justified and comes mostly from shitters who dropped the game way too early. It's the controls that need some time to get used to, but the combat itself is fluent and good.

It's certainly nothing great, but it doesn't need to be and that's alright.

Personally I feel like the combat in Risen is the best example of PB and it's a shame they dropped it in more recent installations.

Do you guys play with english VA?

ICH STEH AUF DIESE GANZE SCHEISSE

ER HAT IHN FERTIG GEMACHT!

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=_3qWRGNsq4g

>play steam version
>have to edit ini to change resolution and activate thing to make my FPS stable
>ini gets rewritten every time
>even if I make a copy of it
Fucking hell

EIN MISTVIEH WENIGER

HÖR AUF MIT DIESER MAGIESCHEISSE!

>Like boars in unpatched G3. You get hit and you're done.
im going through g3 now and i thought i was just shit. im using melee though and seems like magic is op in these games.

Set it to read-only.

Ich bin zu alt für sowas...

Just some guy in the most comfy RPG to date.

Verlass dich auf einen und du bist verlassen.
My favorite line of any vidya probably

That's probably because combat in 1 and 2 is actually good, although much better in 2 than in 1.

>Personally I feel like the combat in Risen is the best example of PB
I somewhat disagree with this. It is a very imperfect system, and the strafing/backstepping of that game is just silly. But aside from that the enemy animations are nowhere near as readable as in the Gothics, by the time the attacks start you have little room to react. I don't remember the exact mechanics, but from what I recall you have around half a second to counter and if you miss it it's guaranteed to hit.

Aside from this there is one mechanic I don't quite understand and never found out what governs it, the failed block. Every once in a while instead of blocking you will perform an above head forward slash, which is clumsy, slow, and leaves you wide open to attacks. For a time I suspected it was connected to weapon proficiency and proficiency difference between the player and the enemy, but after testing it some more this doesn't appear to be the case. Even outside combat, if you perform a series of blocks, the failed block will eventually happen. It's RNG, I just don't understand how it works.

But it's very different from G2 where combat depends entirely on player skill, and at worst it just takes longer.

Thanks gents

The Hero

Wild Boars and Gothic 3 are pretty much synonymous, as evidenced by basically every single parody you can find.

Like pic related or this:
youtube.com/watch?v=ws7hiLOBdoY

AHA
AHA
FEIN
youtube.com/watch?v=RuNPdkys1Mk

"Dude with ponytail that robbed me."

Bezi

one of the greatest mechanics in gothic is that if yous teal they beat you up and take all of your gold
you wake up in a few seconds totally broke
in bethesda game you'd just be dead without guard around

The prisoners of the colony were pretty nice, they only took your ore. Faggots in G2 take your equipped weapon too. That's a lot less nice.