Silent Hill thread

To this day I still don't know how Team Silent managed to make this game look as good as it did. Was it magic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk
youtube.com/watch?v=G9_C-TGSC8A
youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7ypmx-Zz4
youtube.com/watch?v=8AWjiAX5dRI
youtube.com/watch?v=dqdC-Ibqi0g
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
youtube.com/watch?v=WP3ZZ-eVd2U
bloody-disgusting.com/news/3373665/3373665/
storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015
youtube.com/watch?v=OBZXBldMMgE
youtube.com/watch?v=gvcs-9lSm64
igotaletter.com/media/articles/?page=Silent_Hill_2_Producer_Akihiro_Imamura_Not_So_Silent
youtu.be/JT0Im48hjRk?t=21
youtube.com/watch?v=sceACaUFgc4
youtube.com/watch?v=_94UmsRLR6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts
youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1pUpibEdo
youtube.com/watch?v=B5Lis6LnVbk
youtube.com/watch?v=L-Frwgx_MKc
youtube.com/watch?v=DP_FPgb1eiU
youtube.com/watch?v=f1WKJDEWgd8
megabearsfan.net/post/2011/05/26/Is-Pyramid-Head-a-rapist.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

4 is a great game and anyone who says otherwise is wrong

Of course it is, it just wasn't as good as the first three. Everything after 4 has been shit tho, except maybe Origins.

The game itself is nothing special visually. The cutscenes had good facial animations but that was back when the gen transition was ongoing and people were actually trying instead of settling for UE3. Source engine also has some remarkably good facial animations but nobody uses it.

small areas that are split via doors
you can cram in a lot of detail

>The game itself is nothing special visually

You sure you're not thinking of SH2?

Look at the background, it's a blurry mess, the character models were the only thing detailed like that.

Well, duh. Since most people were playing this on fat screen tvs at the time hardly anyone noticed.

What are you talking about? They look largely identical. In fact SH3 reuses SH2 areas without touching them up or anything, they look identical.

Compare with the visuals of Homecoming and Downpour.

I laugh at you. Ha!

>nothing special visually
Pull up some pics of GTA 3 - SA
Pull up pics of Deus Ex for PS2

Now compare the visuals of those games to this one and fucking shoot yourself.

>Was it magic?
Custom engine. Hard amount of work, but ultimately worth it since it gives the game its own timeless look.

Also post yfw
youtube.com/watch?v=JT0Im48hjRk
youtube.com/watch?v=G9_C-TGSC8A
youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7ypmx-Zz4
youtube.com/watch?v=8AWjiAX5dRI
youtube.com/watch?v=dqdC-Ibqi0g

looks like they focused on character models and skimped everywhere else. not necessarily a bad thing though, you work with the resources you have to make an appropriate game

Watching these videos is depressing. Mostly because I realize we'll never get a proper SH game by Team Silent ever again.

I know the HD collection is widely considered to be hot garbage, but is it worth it if I want to start out playing silent hill?

Simple matter of good artists, combined with Japanese workaholic-mentality and attention to fine details.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same as "magic" for the modern, western AAA developers.

>The game itself is nothing special visually.
I beg to differ.
Besides the great character models, which did improve from SH2 and look great even outside of cutscenes, they also have damn good 3D and 2D work in general, and that dynamic lighting stuff that was not an easy feat for a PS2 hardware. On top of that, they used tons of unique details on very specific elements, like with every single room in the "dungeons" and each store out in the town being unique.

Not really. PS2 just had very strict VRAM restrictions by modern standards, and it did not support just about any shader effects we've come to be used to these days.

No.
FUCK NO.

They are THE most shittiest way to play these games. Period. It also lacks SH1, which is essential + the best game.

Just save your money and play them all on PC, in REAL "HD", and without censorship and fuck-ups.
Here's the neat SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.

here's the recommended emulator settings for SH1. Works great on all other games too.

The plugins used are:
-Pete's OpenGL 1.78; (more options & better performance than 2.x version)
-Eternal's SPU Engine.

alternatively just use a software renderer for very 1:1 PS1-like graphics, including 240p only.
...OR just buy the game from PSN Store for few bucks.

You could also try the new PGXP emulator, that adds Perspective Correction to PS1 textures.

I'd say yes if they didn't butcher the voice acting for 3. They don't even give you the option to use the original voices.

Some people will say to just emulate the PC versions, but it's too much trouble imo. I'd just buy a used PS2.

SH2 and 3 were both highly detailed games for their time. Show me a game with better environments that came out in 2003.

>Some people will say to just emulate the PC versions, but it's too much trouble imo
PC ports =/= emulation.
Also, if it is too much to drag&drop ONE fucking fix file, for SH2 only, to make it work smooth and pretty on modern PCs, you really can go fuck yourself.

Every wormbox PC made in the past 10 years can run the PC ports of 2-4 without issues, and PS1 emulation's been OK for even longer than that.

>would rather hunt an used console and an used game
Fucking illogical idiocy.

thanks a lot. saw a review that said the HD collection is just fine if you hadn't played the games before and didn't know what was different about them.

I already bought the PS Classic version of SH1, so I'll just start there for now.

/vr/ has a very good thread for Silent Hill autism going on right now.

Some guy has out forward about 2 novels worth of explanation to why Homecoming is an underappreciated masterpiece.

It's not working

You can buy a used PS2 and SH3 for under $50 from Amazon.

the altered voices are total mood kill, but really one of the LESSER problems of the "HD" "Collection". Pic very fucking related, and only scraping the surface.

Running the PC ports is piss easy, unless you're on W10.

>saw a review that said the HD collection is just fine
Yeah, if you think an MS Paint recreation of Mona Lisa equals the real dead.
But yeah, avoid the fucking Collection. It's nothing but shit.

Last time I played the PC version James, in daylight Silent Hill, shadows was like a crash text dummy following him around and looked like shit.

If they've fixed that then maybe I'll give it a go.

...And HOPE they still work, you don't get scammed, wait for X weeks for the items to arrive, etc.

Yeah, I'm all for owning PS2 + the original games, but seriously though, fuck that jazz.

I'm almost sure I've seen you whine about this shit in the past.

Yeah, that's how his shadow looks like outdoors, in the "daylight". You still spend most of the game INDOORS, in darkness, where the shadows look just fine.

>Every wormbox PC made in the past 10 years can run the PC ports of 2-4 without issues

Since my nvidia card caught a bad case of the 9f's, do you think my integrated card could run the games?

It runs FEAR...ok. ish.

Yes, it will.
Heck, I'd even say it will run it BETTER than the dedicated GPUs of modern days; did some tests on my craptop from 2012, with Intel HD 3000 and Nvidia GT 540M GPUs (Optimus), and the HD graphics actually properly rendered some of the subtle effects that do not appear on modern GPUs.

People also seem to forget that this is a 15 year old DX7 PC port; it's "recommended" specs are literally something like 64mb GPU and 1GHZ 1-core CPU.

>it's a needless agressive response trying to fit in on Cred Forums episode

ugh, I've seen this one beore

well excuse me that I absolutely loathe nitpicking double-standard morons

I'm running a toshiba qosmio x770 with an nvidia gtx560m - so its basically your craptop - except the gpu tripped and blue screened, and now it wont come out of its room because its too scared.

My integrated seems to be wierd in what it will and will not run.
>half life 1 works like shit
>half life source works great
>FEAR runs mostly
>rep comm runs just fine

etc. And considering it runs rep comm pretty well, I'm fairly certain it will run these without much issue.

Not like ive got anything else to do.

the environments actually look damn good for an ancient PS2 game. It was all just designed for the 480p era, and to be viewed in far-off third-person view.

>half life 1 works like shit
yeah, same here. You can help speed by using the other rendering modes; Software looks pretty good and takes load off the shitty integrated.

You mean 480i.

>double standard

PS2 originals are the best though

Greatest hits version had more content and better graphics

"You guys are such fags"- Heather Mason to Claudia and Vincent regarding the birth of God

Heather was great in the way that she rejects all the spooky shit going on. A true badass.

>The game itself is nothing special visually.

It is when you take into consideration that it came out on the PS2.

>the only guy smiling in this picture is the drama chief designer

The irony.

Really good character models, really good textures and really smart use of shading to cover up some of the shittier details. Team Silent had a lot of really good top-tier artists back then and, besides typical Japanese over-working, they were really good at working around their limitations.

It is a bad game and a bad silent hill.

It looked great but they cut out the city and it was a big letdown for me.

NESfag pls go

What's Akira Yamaoka been doing lately?

>TFW I look like a boyish version of heather

To be honest, I don't know what it means.

This.

>sell my PS2 back in 2005
>play SH3 for the time this year
>hear that in the game you return to Silent Hill
>imagine myself exploring Central Silent Hill again
>finally play SH3
>go to Silent Hill
>reach the Church
>there has to be more right guys? The player surely leaves this chuch and i will finally explore Central Silent Hill!
>the game ends

You know when a game is so good but it ends too fast and you will never get more of it. That's how i feel.

pics or it didn't happen

I dunno. That didn't seem to be a huge issue to me.

SH 1 & 3 were all about the cult plot, and the city was just a place that the cult had ties too.

SH 2 explored the idea of the city as a supernatural place all by itself.

SH 4 kinda tried to go both ways, sort of, I dunno.

Did anyone else notice the protagonist's voice in SOMA sounded so much like James Sunderland, I wonder if it was intentional?

To me it never was about cult desu, it was all about the atmosphere, the feelings. SH1&3 felt more like regular horror games, the first one was a resident evil rip off. But they were good in their ways I just think sh2 was an experiment and their pinnacle they put all their ideas into it. Not saying other two games are bad in any ways tho. The plot in all SH games except for 2 maybe was rather meh. Not to mention THE ROOM AS A MOTHER jesus christ. That's how I see it.

Probably why I disliked SH3 so much, it feels so claustrophobic compared to the first two games, don't get me wrong it's a good game, I just didn't find it as fun to play.

I do wonder what kind of a game Team Silent would have made after 3, assuming they had all the time in the world.

I'm, with you on this. I thought the cult aspect was poorly wriiten and uncrediable even for a video game. The cult infiltrating the levels of local government, police force and the hospital was just too silly to buy into for me.

I just like the idea of the twon being an analogy for purgatory or whatever and leave it at that. Ayone "drawn" to the town is just gonna be in for a really shitty 3 hours of their life.

didn't most of them reunite to make Forbidden Siren 1 and 2?

>James Sunderland's VA actually talks like James Sunderland

youtube.com/watch?v=WP3ZZ-eVd2U

This interview sounds like Silent Hill 2.5...

The plot for SH 1 is pretty good, in comparison to its contemporary games I guess - it has some interesting twists, going from a game trying to find your missing daughter, to half-alive super-psychic god-wombs.

SH 2 was great because the plot was both down to earth, and its twist was very interesting. It delved into psychology, ptsd, and much of the game was physical metaphor. It's easily my favorite in the series.

But also, the idea that the town itself is more then just a place, but also a supernatural sinkhole that draws the worst people to it live out a literal purgatory\hell. Like this user said

The reason SH stray away far as possible from purgatory is because the main inspiration for Silent Hill, Jacob's ladder already deals with purgatory stuff. That's why Silent Hill tries to be it's own thing with a more scientific explanation for stuff.

It wasn't magic. They made fan-wank an integral part of the universe of the game

Silent Hill and xanax are the loves of my life.

>The cult infiltrating the levels of local government, police force and the hospital was just too silly to buy into for me.

The cult was a like a secret society like the Masons. They weren't your average religious group that convinced everyone to join. They indoctrinated orphans, they used drugs for profit and controlled a great part of the town.

IMO it's really no sillier than the entire plot of Foot Loose; a place governed and controlled for hundreds of years by religious nutcases, ones with some actually working mumbo-jumbo + drugs to back them up, can be a force to be reckoned with.

Still, the cult's always taken a role of more minor cog in the bigger picture in the end, as not only had their role shrunk in the modern days, but they also ended up being victims of the actions performed by their "rogue pacts", like that of Dahlia & her attempts to birth real living god.

The stories you experience in the games themselves are very much journeys into a person's past and inner worlds. The person of interest and the viewpoint just change from game to game.

I wish they never use the cult again in any possible new game.

just focus in newcomers, conflicted people, a couple of demons. thas all

Heather is already a boyish version of Heather, m8

they pretty much never have "used" the cult much at all since SH4. The western sequels do not matter one bit.

>just focus in newcomers, conflicted people, a couple of demons. thas all
yeah, just make it another totally-not-SH2, with out of place western mythology elements to make it easier to digest!

...not.

I should said "demons"

the game can be focused in the indian traibes that inhabitated the region

Damn. Is that really from 2 generations behind?

It was the "1 small closed room, 3 people max in it" magic trick.

in my opinion, the cult aspects have never been really explored in the games properly. A person living in the town of Silent Hill, being involved in the cult's affairs, could make a very interesting starting point.

almost 3 at the moment. SH3 alone is 13 years old, and built for a machine technically finalized in early 2000.

Homecoming had some interesting ideas, but it really should have been "Among The Damned" but with much more length and detail. The idea of a war weary PTSD soldier, fresh from iraq, with a massive case of survivors guilt, come to silent hill to end his fucking life, is neat idea that could've made an interesting game.

But instead, it was just a lot of reused ideas, by people who don't seem like they even understood what the first 4 games were about

Yes but it's just a cutscene. Japs just really know how to work their way around weak hardware, Team Silent in particular was very good at it.

>A person living in the town of Silent Hill, being involved in the cult's affairs, could make a very interesting starting point.
It would make a great story.

But it won't make a great SCARY game.

I don't think it is even possible to keep a mystery in a new SH game (that will never get made until the inevitable reboot) anymore. Since we know what is happening, we won't be scared again.

Resident Evil 4 was better.

As a shooter, yes.

>being an analogy for purgatory

Taking the easiest most shallow explanation and running with it was exactly what the western games did and look what happened. Just accept it for what it is instead of creating your own fanfiction out of it.

SH2 is the only one that did that and should have stayed that way.

>by people who don't seem like they even understood what the first 4 games were about
it's funny, because in all those pre-release interviews, these fucks boasted out loud how they "Totally understand what SH is all about!".

Apparently its all about The Movie Pyramid Head ripping up shit, and The Movie / SH2 nurses wiggling around all sexy. Oh, and Hostel ripoff scenes, and UFO ending as a legit, straight off the bat accessible end!

Still better than DP, but god damn...

>But it won't make a great SCARY game.
How about things starting fairly peaceful and quiet, only for the shit to hit the fan, and the MC ending up being hunted by cultists AND some hellish phenomenons we've come accustomed to in the series? Assuming there'd be any "open world" sections with real people roaming about and such, it could make a neat Twin Peaks x Wayward Pines experience, where you cannot be sure who to trust and what's even "real".

It was a bad shooter desu. And what is worse after it all tps's were made in that way. Before they needed as much precision and speed as fps'. It was good as a first big console tps I think but I frequently see people who think re4 was the first tps in existence.

SH is way more that just scares, thinking about it in scare factor is doing it a diservice.

Kinda misleading to post PC or emulated screenshots.

>It was good as a first big console tps I think but I frequently see people who think re4 was the first tps in existence.
never considered it as any of those.
We've already had good TPS games on consoles since N64 times, which got the best Douk-game after the original 3D; the Zero Hour. There were plenty of other examples on PS1 as well.
Similarly, all the Max Payne games were on consoles since day one.

If anything, RE4 only resulted the departure from the traditional survival-horror, towards the more action-oriented horror shooters, which were much easier to develop thanks to the borderline first-person approach.

>Still better than DP, but god damn...

I've never actually played anything past Homecoming. SH ends at 4, and thats fine with me.

The Silent Hills PT is the only thing I've seen that comes close to the original, but thats moot, considering PT is dead

>Kinda misleading to post PC or emulated screenshots.
No it isn't. The graphical fidelity is the same in all games. If the rendering resolution is that big of a differentiator in your mind, then we should also start judging things by the screen technology available at the time of release, and other silly things.

The whole point of these threads is the fact that the Team-Silent's SH games withstand up-rezzing damn brilliantly, and could easily pass as some 7th gen console titles even today.

>I've never actually played anything past Homecoming.
trust me, you are not missing a thing. DP was THE biggest buyer's remorse, ever. And this is coming from someone who pre-ordered DNF.

I think your idea is decent enough to maybe make a game.

Still, no one will give enough of a fuck to make it.

>SH is way more that just scares
Yes. And without the scares, it does not work as a horror game.

PC looks better.

Superficially more detailed, yes.

But the colours are wrong. The lighting is wrong.

>But the colours are wrong. The lighting is wrong.
Those are very subjective matters as well, and depend on things like in-game settings, your monitor and its settings, your eye-sight, etc.

FYI, I adjusted the screenshots to have approximately similar brightness levels. This was the original version, and it's good to note that I made these out of screenshots of different sources; PS2 one was googled, PC version I took myself.

tl;dr: Critical media reading. Practice it!

PC version has broken lighting indeed.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the inclusion of flaws in the characters' appearance helps a lot.

Everyone looks like they just finished a three-day bender and has kind of lousy skin. Vincent, in your picture, has that poorly shaven stubble and a slight lazy eye (which has the added benefit of making him seem untrustworthy, because you subconsciously can't read his eye movements). All of these flaws help the game age much better because when a character has perfect, flawless skin and otherwise relies on graphics technology to be as beautiful as possible, it gets much easier to see the limits of that technology.

I remember reading that a lot of SH is actually symbolism for coping with becoming circumsized.

What's that all about?

Well fuck your opinion. I'll take shallow if it means its credible within its own framework. The cult stuff was always - ALWAYS - shit.

Ironically, Homecoming had more fleshed out cult aspects integrated better than the first 3 despite being a crap game overall.

Sounds like bullshit ass-pulls made by buttmad yanks.

>PS2 one was googled, PC version I took myself
Found your problem.

Also, fun fact for you. The game was built for the PS2, with the PC port an after thought. So no, the PC version is not the "definitive" one.

The crazy Silent Hill wikia mod wrote about it in nearly every article.

It is because it has hd textures and good effects from hd release minus all the shit it added.

bloody-disgusting.com/news/3373665/3373665/

storify.com/jasperrolls/the-silent-hill-wiki-circumcision-meltdown-of-2015

It totally did now you mention it.

There's a lot of good elements, but when they all came together they were kind of a mess. There's a lot of wandering around areas that frankly aren't very scary.

It really starts turning up the heat in the second half of the game, which is good, but in the first half it feels less oppressive and just feels more like urbex in a series of dilapidated areas. I understand the value of buildup, but in your first game, that's literally hours of just wandering without a whole lot of creeps and spooks to keep you interested.

Not really any kinds of "news" to me, been well aware of this since day 1.

That being said, the PC port has so many benefits that it just might as well be called the definitive version. For starters, assuming you don't care about pirating a borderline abandonware titles, it's much easier to get your hands on. Second, it's easy to run even at UHD resolutions. The recently released fixes have also made it very accessible even on modern machines, and I'd assume the trend to continue and the community-made fixes to improve.

Uhh... no?
The textures are literally the same as on PS2 for the most part. And the "HD Collection" really, really does not have "improved" textures at all.

OK, that's just hilarious.
I really really doubt that a team from Japan (where you don't mutilate dicks for starters), that spend ages researching the looks of American sub-urbans and religious lores would even consider such silly things.

Then again, that's how art tends to work: open for interpretations and projecting.

Your idea is what I had exactly imagined too! Build up the stress and mystery and leave the horror as showing, not telling

Uhh...yes? Do you even know about sh2 wrapper or you trying to play old mid 00' port?

So what happened to the original team? The director went on to make Siren and Gravity Rush right? The artists stayed through 3 or 4? And Akira Yamaoka is still around-ish.

>Do you even know about sh2 wrapper
you mean the DX8 -> DX9 wrapper?
that's pretty much required if you use the modern fixes, or at least if you want to use enhancements like SweetFX. I don't think sh2proxy required it out of the box though.

Yet it's still the exact same PC port from 2002, no alterations to the actual content itself.

>So what happened to the original team?
Konami broke them, and people went all around. Some stayed within Kojima Productions, some became freelancers, such as Yamaoka and Ito, who both had stated being interested of working on a new SH game if devs would ask them. This is why many speculate that they'd probably been working on the Silent Hills project sooner or later as well, supported by the fact that they were good friends with Kojima already back in early 00s.

Come on man, it's my favorite in the series and even I can admit that as a game it's pretty shitty.

Why copying Silent Hill's enviroment or ideas isn't common? I wish movies and games started copying the industrial environment from Silent Hill. It seems to be common in art, but i rarely see a movie or game with it.

Look at the current vidya and film subject trends, and you see why.

I'd also say that most vidya horror have been influenced more or less by SH's designs.

Care to explain why is your fav?

Everything these days is stupid ghost shit that doesn't even scare.

I honestly think even SH1 looks superb for its age and platform. The texture and lighting job were outstanding for a PS1 game.
The audio work was obviously pure gold too.

I think it's time for the thread to die.

Man I still cry like a baby at "In Water" ending of SH2. Truly a beautiful art piece it was. Is there any other modern game that matches that level of writing?

youtube.com/watch?v=OBZXBldMMgE

The no gamepad support is turning me off, how good is emulation of SH3 specifically?

This is the closest thing I can honestly think.
Gave it a shot for the first time couple months ago. It soon skyrocketed to be one of my all time favorite games.

Now THIS, on the otherhand, I also got to try for the first time ever just months ago, and I now seriously question the modern "gamer's" taste and understanding of the term "good writing". Throw "good acting" and "good gameplay" to that pile as well.

What if Team Silent came back together under a new name and made a kickstarter to make a spiritual successor to Silent Hill? Would you back them?

Thank you, kind Anons

>scamstarter

Pretty much everything but the gameplay and (most of) the enemy design really appealed to me and I wound up enjoying the plot, atmosphere, visuals, locations, etc a lot. But there are too many game design choices that are straight up terrible.

According to Wikipedia he's been working on Persona 4 :Dancing all Night, The Silver Case HD Remaster, and Rime. He's also been doing live shows across the world with his band.

SH4 almost managed to be good, but something is lacking and then the forced escort mission, ugh..

>spiritual successor to Silent Hill
I would rather see them try or do something else

Your favorite enemy?

Why did he do it Cred Forums? Why has he shat all over Silent Hill legacy?

I really like The closer from SH3 and the lying figure from SH2. They have that hellish Silent Hill look.

not many people are man enough to call out terrible game design in their favorite games, youre pretty good, user

Leave him alone...

No.

I blame Konami for even allowing him to do what he did. Not giving him an excuse, more like a stupid child being enable by his parents.

Call me a faggot but I really like Born from a Wish.
It was Blade Runner/Phillip K Dick level of interesting with Maria.
She thought she was 100% real, she had this entire life of experience in her head of what she lived and suffered with.
She was even about to kill herself due to everything that had happened and she then goes out to try and find someone since she was all alone in that place.

I've never seen anyone bash anything BFAW related. I always considered it as a nice little bonus, though I admit I've only ever played it once. Probably a good time to replay that as well this coming Halloween.

Honestly Maria is one of my favorite Silent Hill characters so I'm with you on that. BFAW wasn't anything special but I did like the way it stressed that despite being tailor made to fuck with James, Maria was capable of independent thought and feelings.

>Call me a faggot but I really like Born from a Wish
Who would do that? It's better than all the western SH games combined.

Is Silent Hill a real place within the series' fiction? Like could just anybody point to Silent Hill, Maine on a map and take a little trip there? Would it look as terrifying to just anybody as it does to the protagonists of the games?

Or is Silent Hill as we know it another dimension? Or some kind of hallucination or something?

>Is Silent Hill a real place within the series' fiction?
Yes. It's a holiday resort town.
No, there's no "other dimensions" or "just hallucinations".

The rules sort of differ between games, but yeah Silent Hill is an actual ordinary tourist town. Pretty sure the way it goes is that there are three levels to it: The real world, which we never actually visit, the Fog World, which is the slightly fucked up and empty except for monsters version, and the Otherworld which is when it gets balls to the wall ridiculous.

>three levels
You just described the most common false believe out there:

youtube.com/watch?v=gvcs-9lSm64

>not still having a ps2 slim

oh, but I do.
And fat one.
And fat and slim PS1s.
And Fat and Slim PS3.

Oh, I got options alright!
I just don't every other person on the planet to have them tho'.

>an used

I know that grammatically, it's correct, but phonetically, it sounds wrong.

Actually it's grammatically incorrect because the use of a/an is dictated by the sound that follows, not just the letter. Since the u in used makes a "you" sound instead of an "uh" sound it should be a.

>Original Silent Hill black label
>3 copies of SH2 just like all sane people should have. On PS2 no less, for the fog
>Actual physical genuine PC box for 3
>4
>Collection too

I give that five hun-
>Origins
>Homeboring
>Shazam
>Downpour

I give it zero points, sorry.

Silent Hill: Homecoming had the potential to be halfway decent if it was in the right hands.
The plot despite being all over the place had some ok ideas with how all the other kids died and their boss battle being respective of their deaths.
The plot twist about you being the chosen to die and fucking it up could have been better if your characters intent was less accident and more malicious since Josh didn't want to die and was jealous of his brother for all the affection and attention.
Combat sucked ass but the choices between forgiving your parents for the actions was a interesting.

I played SH2 and SH3 with xinput gamepad
Everything worked fine and I didn't have to use any software to make it work

Differentfag here:
There is also the fact if you have PS4 or PS3 pad, the drivers they have for PC also have a Dinput mode so you should even get the rumble working in the games if done correctly.

I'm myself gay and own one of good logitech PC rumblepad 2's.
...and I have all the games that matter on PS1 and PS2.

>no japanese copy

nah, it's aight.

I had some trust in the series left all the way to the Downpoor. I wanted to believe.

SM was damn awesome tho'. I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

not pictured are the NTSC and PAL PS3 download versions of SH1, and the PC ports on my HDD.

No, no Japanese copies.
I have these figs + handful of Strategy Guides tho'

Ya know. After beating sh3 so many times I never even really realized that the town was mostly gone. It just went right over my head. In SH1 & 2 you explore the town to find something. In 3, you already know the general path you need to take and you go through the town rather than explore it

It's an actual town. There is a layered dimension which is where all the crazy stuff happens, sometimes the character accesses this layer, sometimes this layer starts leaking into the real world.

>Combat sucked ass
I realize this is the only horror game I played where the combat knife was the best weapon to use.

In SH3 you can't even explore anything. If you try to visit the places James went, Heather says that isn't where she should be going and turns back. I think SH3 really took a hit on the PS2 hardware.

As far back as SH2, they were already complaining about the PS2's memory.
>A point which we are less happy about is that the memory amount is low. The memory amount is too low to place high-quality character models and textures. We had to go through extra struggles to obtain these images.
igotaletter.com/media/articles/?page=Silent_Hill_2_Producer_Akihiro_Imamura_Not_So_Silent

I pretty much feel the same way. I feel like it if they just added in a couple more different areas to explore and just dump the whole escort mission, this game would be considered as classic as the first 3 are.

This can't be real..

nope, not quite. The place just has this strong psychical power of sorts, capable of projecting all kinds of nasties out of people's psyche into reality.

the video in is pretty good explanation of the more practical theory of the town's powers.

Downpour has very little facial animation, it's pretty creepy.

oh, it is.

going back in time here

I can say that 3 in the HD collection is not that bad

I wish someone would repost that website detailing how SH3 did lighting, it was cheating but the entire process behind it was so clever.

>that knock part
>youtu.be/JT0Im48hjRk?t=21

Heh. Always makes me chuckle for some reason.

oh, it's just THE absolutely most butchered game in the fuckign collection!

They did something special with the lighting? I remember it being the standard per vertex lighting you got with almost all PS2 games because the console couldn't do lighting for shit.

Or is this in reference to the creative use of shadows during cutscenes? I know that while the PS2 was shit for lighting it was pretty good for shadows.

Kek. I'm actually one of the biggest preachers of Twin Perfect's videos and theories around.

It just think that the otherworld is a real, living and breathing place. Both James and Heather see the Closer/Mandarin and they don't know each other and have completely different psychology. You could claim it's reused assets, but Masahiro Ito explains why he did it.

Nowhere or James's visit to Toluca prison already are an extension of reality since they can only exist with the town's power.

It's non-euclidean all the way.
youtube.com/watch?v=sceACaUFgc4

I do think he's referring to the SH3's fancy shadow system in general, which is kinda close to what most games are still using today, but in lower quality and lacking the anisotropic accuracy fixes we have now, resulting sort of "halos" around people when viewed in high resolution.

BTW, I heard there was a sh3proxy in the works, with one of the goals of the project being increasing the shadow quality.

The PC versions have much improved lighting anyway.

Webm:PS2

Well, the second picture is obviously from a YouTube video of questionable quality. Those are also cherrypicked images, with Silent Hill 4's image being taken from a still moment in a cutscene and Downpour's image being probably the worst-looking character in mid-action.

The model quality in Downpour is...okay. Not great, but okay. For some reason, though, all of the kid models look like they're missing chromosomes.

gif:PC

I always thought Silent Hill 3 wasn't even that spooky until I played it on PC with headphones. This shit is straight up paranoia inducing sometimes.

there should be something abou multicore processors in this guide
i'm retarded or sh3proxy doesn't fix it and i had to change CPU affinity manually
it's really easy to do tho

There is a little bit of interpretation in silent hill but there are definite themes and symbol meanings.

The one youre tqlking about sounds like some hardcore numale feminist sjw bullshit

It has better lighting, because it's per pixel, but worse shadows.

Has anyone on Cred Forums heard of Year of the Ladybug? I actually just found out about it last night. It looks really good in a Silent Hill fashion. Wanted to know anyone else's opinion on it.

i hope they will find good devs to make it

Cred Forums is low key hyped for YotL.

The concept art seems to lack the subtlety, which is something Silent Hill excels at.

Nah senpai the shadows are fine. Literally only thing wrong with the PC version is the sound filter. For some reason it's on really thick.

Konami had some fucking techwizards working for them around that time. Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid 2/3 really pushed the hardware they were on to crazy levels. It's why they can be such a pain in the ass to emulate even to this day.

Well, I'm glad there are others. I'm really hoping they find someone, I'd be extremely interested to play it. Though I do agree with the lack of subtlety. I do like how some of the enemies can kill you in one hit. I'm just in desperate need for a good horror game.

>this game is 15 years old
>still looks fucking great

Shit's insane how important proper lighting and models are.

I was under the impression the PC ports were lacking soft shadows.

Heather is fucking awesome. Her design, her personality, the way she just fucking handles shit, the best.

Her design is also like the perfect amount of sexy without it stretching into fan service territory.

I agree.
Despite its flaws, there are moments in the game that makes it worth all those flaws.

BFAW is good. Don't know anyone who thinks otherwise

RE4's a ton of fun but it isn't scary. Resident Evil as a series is a lot cornier than Silent Hill though.

I just want survival horror back period, fuck being unable to fight enemies.

Just a heads-up: If your computer has the muscle, please emulate instead, doubly so if you use a DS3 or DS4. Making the controls work the exact way you want them in the PC version is a fucking bitch and PCSX just makes it a non-issue, and you can still do 1080p for the HD experience anyway.

He is not all wrong though.

Otherworld invasion works like door (or a valve, as Valitel is portraying it in 3).
Real "world" = Door is closed
Fog "world" = door is a little bit open
Other "world" = door is completely open

Of course it all takes place in the same space but different people seems to have individual doors within them. Like Laura is running around town unscathed because she never meets any monsters - James and Angela mostly have the doors half-open until their respective other-world invasions appear - which appearantly are capable of merging a bit (it's why James can see Abstract Daddys even though they are born from Angelas mind).

You might be right, but it's not something you notice in the game desu. All I know is the lighting and shadows all look 'fuller' (no jaggies and clear) on PC.

I am playing SH1 for the first time, and I just reached the school.

Man oh man is this game spooky. The POV camera during that beginning section gave me the heeby-jeebies. Though I've noticed that the game has, thus far, been very generous with bullets. I've only fought dogs and winged demons though. Melee seems to be too unwieldy to be useful, though preemptively batting a dog out of the air is incredible.

Are you implying the plot of Foot Loose isn't absurd?

>and PCSX just makes it a non-issue
Are you fucking serious? For years I've been playing the games on PC for the resolution, with the one thing that made me miss the console versions being the way the controller was integrated (vibration based on how much HP you were missing).

Does the emulator include that?

The cult is a religion. It's how religious cults works.
If you believe you are not going to say no their leaders.

These threads always makes me sad knowing that we'll never get a SH revival.

Is there any promising upcoming horror game?

Follow him on facebook. He is always posting videos of concerts and shit

Unless you like walking simulators, no.

I think I read that the monster and the Shadow Vale in Stranger Things was inspired by Silent Hill, but then again - Stranger Things was doing the exact same thing as Silent Hill - paying homage to King, Koontz and other weird 80s horror stuff.

Yep, vibration's there and everything.

The guys who were making a fan remake of Resident Evil 2 is remaking that into their own IP. Forgot what it was called. Third person. Shooting mutants and stuff.

Checked it up - It's called Daymare: 1998
youtube.com/watch?v=_94UmsRLR6Q

aaaand
the guys who made DreadOut is making something new. Appearantly they were at TGS and had their own booth.

Melee weapons work a lot better on slower enemies and enemies that attack one at a time, the hospital is easily beatable with only melee. I'd try to save as much ammo as possible, traversing the overworld in SH1 is really goddamn dangerous.

Also fucking SEARCH for the maps man. I didn't find the map for the resort area and I almost had to restart the game, shit was fucking brutal.

DreadOut had some great concepts but the execution stumbled in a number of ways. I hope they learned from their mistakes.

I believe Owaku explains the valve and pipe stuff in the Making of of SH3.

But i don't think there is a fog world, the town is just foggy.

Also i don't get what Owaku was trying to accomplish with Laura in SH2. I wish Owaku would just come out and explain Laura as just another creation of Silent Hill just like Maria, a manifestation of his desire to have children with Mary or something like that.
Not only she is annoying but she teleports all over the place.

>Shazam

I too watched those Twin Perfect videos

It would be cool if there was a sillent hill game that runs on the fox engine with Kojima, Del Toro and Junji Ito working on the game.

The PC port of SH2 uses stencil shadows.
Funnily enough, I've yet to see evidence that this would be any different on PS2.

It is, but it's believable in very-early 80s American setting.

you really should not fight anything at all outdoors.

Depending on the difficulty mode and your exploration tendencies, you can end up with tons of OR just enough ammo to get by.
The melee's way more handy than in any old RESI game, and gets totally OP towards the end if you manage to find certain melee weapons.

protip: turn off your flashlight.

SH1 > all.
Even 17 years later.

The monster design is not very cool. Too many insect bosses and that flying dinosaur is more annoying than scary.

>too many
two?
>more annoying than scary
it's scary BECAUSE it's so annoying.
Plus, all the enemies make sense within the story once you know it.

All that said though, I don't love SH1 for its monster design.

I haven't actually played 3 yet, but I like what I've heard.

I like that they didn't just re-use the fan-favorite Pyramid Head, they implied something in 3 was the same entity, but it didn't appear to Heather as Pyramid Head because that was James' demon to confront.

I loved 4, honestly. It was different, and while it all didn't work, I liked what made it unique.

>they implied something in 3 was the same entity
I thought Valtiel was confirmed as a completely different creature with a specific purpose. Also they started making 3 almost immediately after releasing 2 and by that point PH hadn't even evolved into the face of the series, that came later.

Not gonna spoil anything, but the roles and style of the thing in SH3 is vastly different from PH in every possible way.

It was only after Team-Silent was broken and the IP got whored to the random westerners that PH was made into this "mascot" of the series.

That being said, I'd very much recommend playing 3, ASAP. Grab it from the links above.

>that image

That shit genuinely frightened me. I played the game on a lower difficulty before I played it on hard and when that shit was all bloody not only was it visually disturbing but I felt fucked in the head because I didn't remember it being like that at all and I was trying to figure out how I somehow forgot about the sewer being so messed up.

It was light being gaslighted by a video game.

>two?

One is already too damn many, two is overkill.

>all the enemies make sense within the story once you know it.

I know, but there is no reason why they couldn't be more rotten like in 2 or 3.

Masahiro explains here why.

Pyramid Head wants to make James remember what he did.

Valtiel serves Samael.

>One is already too damn many, two is overkill.
ah, so just a personal nitpicking.

>I know, but there is no reason why they couldn't be more rotten like in 2 or 3.
kinda does not make sense knowing the source of it all. Plus, it was the team's very first game, made on a console 1/10th the strength of PS2. They couldn't quite capture all the ideas and concept art they had.

Thread dwindling. Post favorite Akira jams.

youtube.com/watch?v=AXhoD9MUDts

Thanks for the advice without explicitly spelling anything out too much.

I am the type to explore every nook and cranny (example: how I found all three keys to the house before knowing I'd need them*), and I was starting to realize by the end that there are too many monsters outside to deal with them all (those winged fuckers are FAST though).

*it's only early on, but I loved how the game introduces you to how fucked you are.
>Go to the school!

You look at your map and pick the most direct route. Psych; blocked off. Ok, you try another. No way Jose. Again and again each single street seems to end in a big yawning chasm. I ended up getting dismayed and running in the opposite direction just to find something. Those are blocked off too. You're totally trapped, you can't see shit, and there are monsters everywhere. It was a great feeling.

youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1pUpibEdo
youtube.com/watch?v=B5Lis6LnVbk
youtube.com/watch?v=L-Frwgx_MKc
youtube.com/watch?v=DP_FPgb1eiU

youtube.com/watch?v=f1WKJDEWgd8
Im not sure if this is some kind of remix or if its the way it comes in the SH4 OST

We have Tomm Hulett to thank for that.

He made it playable

>TP word is Law

kys

Both Pyramid Head and Valtiel use the cult's ceremonial robes.

is there a compilation soundtrack of all the music tracks without the ambient tracks anywhere?

I thought the deal with Valtiel was that he was some kind of holy attendant, whereas Pyramid Head was more like a cultist with a particular role to play within the religion. Walter Sullivan's first victim was a priest of Valtiel known for a triangle shaped hood that seemed like a pretty obvious callback to PH, so I was sort of under the impression that PH as he existed in-game was either an ascended cultist or the product of the cult shit fucking with Jame's brain and producing PH as a grotesque monster sent to punish him because of the corresponding cultist's role as an executioner.

A good explanation isn't taking it as law for the same idea

Take your dumbass elsewhere

4 is my favorite probably for nostalgia and just the overall feel. I also love how you meet Walter before you know he's Walter, I just think thats really cool

Something the resembles Pyramid head makes an appearances as one of the God's angels in one of the Church's paintings. I asked Masahiro Ito if that is Pyramid Head and he replied "it's iron helmet".

Didn't that painting also appeared in MGO2?

no idea, but they were in MGS3.

Yeah, that's it
I think

Does this work on Ubuntu? I'm at uni and to torrent this shit I need to use a VPN or I'll get fined and I have built in VPN for Linux (dual booted Thinkpad)

no idea. I guess you could try them on WINE... they are DirectX8 games, so I would assume they work OK-ish this day and age, when DX9 is starting to work fine.

Never really used Linux, so give it a shot and report back.

...continuing, that if you just want to download it, you could just try the direct download links?

you could try a ps2 emu otherwise

You could mount the Windows partition and move it there.

>PS2 emulation
>on a thinkpad

What do you mean?

I use a ps2 emu on my thinkpad

I assumed you have both Windows and Ubuntu on your laptop since you mentioned dual boot. You also have some VPN set up on the Ubuntu installation. You could download whatever using Ubuntu and then move it to the Windows file system. It should show up in the Ubuntu file manager.

The noises in the 4 games always had me on edge leaving me think that there was something around the corner, although that was the case with the sewers in the first game since it had the only enemies that wouldn't go off with the radio. 4 however didn't have the radio so it was always a guessing game when it came to enemies.

>since it had the only enemies that wouldn't go off with the radio
actually the radio just didn't work underground, because there's no signal.

I love small details like that!

it's been surprisingly long-living and civil thread for an exchange. Was fun!

Why were there two at the end?

SH3 is legit unnerving to play for long periods of time for me personally. Especially with headphones. I have to take breaks and do something lighthearted.

Which one d oyou think is more scary: sh1, 2, 3 or resident evil remake. I think sh 2 is the least scariest of them but don't know about the rest.
But it's 4 hours long at max.

Also I feel you, it's not like those games are really scary but i don't like to play them for a long time. I remember call of chtulu took me around month to beat and eternal darkness even more.

There are dozens of theories why, but the only one that made sense to me was the Megabearsfan theory.

>but two Pyramid Heads! What does the appearance of the second Pyramid Head mean?

>One very significant event that occurs between James' final encounter with Pyramid Head in the hotel, and his previous encounter with it in the labyrinth, is the death of Eddie. After clearing the labyrinth (in which there is only one Pyramid Head), James confronts and kills Eddie in the meat locker. Despite the very real justification of self defense, James is hurt and feels guilty by the fact that he had to kill Eddie.

>With the blood of two humans now on his hands, James encounters two Pyramid Heads in the hotel - each representative of one of the murders.

>Each Pyramid Head then holds a colored egg: a rust-colored egg and a scarlet egg. The scarlet egg most likely symbolizes James' guilt for killing Eddie. This blood is fresh on his hands. The rust-colored egg, thus, symbolizes his guilt over Mary.
megabearsfan.net/post/2011/05/26/Is-Pyramid-Head-a-rapist.aspx

This made complete sense to me, so i go with it.

Huh. I never really thought of Eddie being Scarlet.
I always thought of being Scarlet because of Maria being killed over and over again, which happens because of James's wish to punish himself. Scarlet made me think of Marias clothes while rust reminded me of Mary's hair.

I mean, they are eggs too right? Eggs could be symbolism of a female womb.

thought of Maria* being Scarlet.

I still think so, because of it being eggs.

This also kinda makes sense
I think James would feel more guilty over Maria's death

If that's what you're looking for there are tons of good survival horror games out there, and some of them are even current gen games, you just have to look for them.

Wondering with the lip animation, was it synced for English dialogue or Japanese dialogue?

This is the problem is have with Maria. The fact she is just a creation, i see her as this empty puppet that keeps getting hammered over and over by Pyramid Head because his job is to make James remember his crime. She is an illusion so anything that happens to her loses any meaning on the bigger picture.

Pyramid head wanted to punish James and once James's mind started clearing up, they let him enter the final area to end the delusion once and for all. But depending on the ending, the delusion continues and Pyramid head essentially fails his objective.

>actually the radio just didn't work underground, because there's no signal.

This is a really nice touch.

Or the radio going crazy when Harry faces Samael.

I think it's time to say goodbye...

It was a good thread
Hopefully we'll have more like this at the end of the week or something

PC controls are flawless with xpadder on both SH2 and 3, only thing missing is rumble function which I don't really give a shit about

just leave all control settings blank for the controller then configure xpadder binds to the keyboard defaults, done