I haven't bought a GPU in 4 years and I have no idea what's going on with DX12, Vulkan, async compute...

I haven't bought a GPU in 4 years and I have no idea what's going on with DX12, Vulkan, async compute, and what card is better to by now versus what will be better a few years down the line. $300 is my budget. Give me some advice on what I should get.

Rx 480

Dx12/vulkan support and 8gb vram

Nvidia cards age like shit either way.

Depends on what resolution and what kind of games you be playing at. If you are a poorfag just get a 480/1060 when they are on sale and upgrade in 1-2 generations. If you can spend more money now and don't want to upgrade as fast buy a 1070 for $380 or less.

Buy Fury if you can still find one on sale for ~300bux, it beats both 1060 and 480 everywhere.
1060 beats 480 in DX11

Wait for the next gen of cards
Current ones suck

if you're even remotely happy with your current GPU, you don't need a new one.

I'm still rocking my 5yo GTX 560ti, gaming at 1920x1200 resolution, no problems. I have been considering the GTX 1060 thanks to its impressive performance and sub-250$ price, but I may still wait a while.

Fury isn't bad but man it uses 4gb of HBM1 vram

I guess you could stretch it and say it can handle 6gb but still only fury owners knows what it can handle.

It does kick the shit out of the 1060 and 480 though.

Whatever you do, don't support nvidia

They are killing videogames

running on 580GTX everything still working fine

more like only people still making good cards and drivers.

Still rocking a gtx 660 and i dont see a reason to upgrade.
I will upgrade when my computer bites the dust

It's possible to score a GTX 980Ti if you are real lucky for $300. Typical going price is around $350.

Budget is pretty hard because it's being gifted to me. I can't complain since I literally have no options to upgrade though. Anything is a significant upgrade.

I'll be sticking at 1080p for a while because I am perfectly content with that resolution for the next couple of years. By the time I want to move on to something beefier I'll probably be building a new PC anyway.

I've been kicking around with a 1GB GTX 650 for the past few years. It's just not enough when I can't even play Dark Souls III at low. Whatever I get should last me a long time given that I've been content until now.

>vulkan
it's going to be something some day!

AMD is the only thing keeping nvidia from releasing new cards at 4.000$

Enjoy getting cucked just for not taking 30min and do some research.

>It's just not enough when I can't even play Dark Souls III at low
Either you're doing something wrong, or the game's unoptimized piece of shit.

I could play MGS5 all-High at 60fps. Same with the Talos Principle, and Killing Floor 2 with couple settings lowered a bit.

>going AMD
>ever
Radeons have been shit ever since Ati was bought. Enjoy your house-fires, shit drivers, and shit performance.

I hope AMD can really deliver with Vega. I'd really like to see AMD being competitive against the top end Nvidia cards for once (as in at least equal to 1080Ti that's coming out)

The pascal and poolaris cards are fucking garbage. Got tired of my old GTX 670 and the problems that comes with SLI, so I bought an EVGA GTX 1070. Not only was it expensive as shit in my country, the thing had coilwhine. Returned that piece of shit and realised I barely play games these days anyway, so fuck it.

>Shit since ATI was bought
GCN HD 7970 in 2011 (R9 280X) proved excellent and its performance actually got better over time. That's the only noted exception. Nvidia has been utterly dominant in DX11 though.

It wont do shit when the games are optimized to run well on nvidia

>Expensive as shit in my country
You are Welsh or Scottish?

Are you autistic or just trolling? didn't you see the pic?.

The cards that used to beat the shit out of the AMD cards in that time now gets beaten. Nvidia don't update their old cards so you can buy them, and you still support them?.

eurotaxe, electronics are a lot more expensive 20% more give or take.

>20%
Krautland?

>its performance actually got better over time
Thats the catch to ATI. They are able to optimize via patches, while Nvidia's performance magically fades as a new card is about to be released.

670 is still a very good card.
I'm almost happy with my old 650Ti, the only problem is 1GB.

>Nvidia don't update their old cards so you can buy them
Every GPU manufacturer stops supporting their old shit at some point. The GTX 500 series still gets updates, so I'm good.

AMD's been nothing but trouble for the years, and every update that seems to fix one issue, usually brings handful of others. Having to look up game-specific drivers is just lunacy.

Some user occasionally say that the 980Ti (which loses out just a little against the 1070) is actually a better card against the 1070. It's making me wonder if that's not just hearsay.

>670 is still a very good card.

If only I had the 4GB version.

>The GTX 500 series still gets updates

Just like that time nvidia got caught slowing down their old cards with "updates" right?. Now since that day they dont slow them down anymore, neither optimize them.

haven't updated my drivers in like couple years now, and things still run smoothly.

>I'm almost happy with my old 650Ti, the only problem is 1GB.
The non-ti is getting unbearable for me to use. That's why I'm glad for an upgrade. I had and AMD card before that, so I'm not brand loyal. I just have no idea what API or hardware is going to be most relevant. I suppose since the glut of games are DX11 still the Nvidia card is better for the now. But if DX12 or Vulkan gain traction, the AMD card has better hardware support. I've been out of the market for so long I don't know what is most relevant. I can at least be satisfied that I will see improvements no matter which I choose.

1gb VRAM has been my only issue with my card as modern games get further lazier about texture streaming.

At this moment in time your options basically boil down to either a GTX 1060 or RX480.

RX480 is the choice for theoretical futureproofing with better performance on DX12/vulkan. The trade off is that it's generally worse performing than the GTX 1060 on most currently released games. Also it uses more power and runs hotter/louder than a 1060.

GTX 1060 generally offers slightly better performance for now but doesn't support DX12 on a hardware level to the same extent as the RX480. That suggests it will be worse in the future though there are no absolute guarantees.

Technically a GTX 980Ti would be best if you can find a cheap one, and if your budget were to increase a GTX 1070 will be the safest bet for futureproofing.

Basically, whichever you pick it will be fine (for 1080p 14hz or 1440p 60hz) and it's not likely you would notice a significant difference between them. By the time one of the cards noticeably pulls ahead in the future you'll probably be considering replacing it anyway.

I kinda agree with this one.

So far no single card can guarantee 4K 60fps (if it dips below 55 it can go fuck right off) on ultra right?

No.
I could name a handful of ~10 year old games that would still genuflect any game all maxed this day and age.

In general, I find the need to "max out" everything kinda silly. Especially this day and age, when some games literally look near identical on all-Low and all-High, or literally indistinguishable between High and Ultra.

Thanks for the thorough advice. My future game prospects are at 1080p for a while. I'll see if I can find a 980ti for a steal and if not, I'll just have to decide if I want to gamble on theoretical gains or performance in the now.

Even the next generation cards won't be able to. Shit like alpha effects are a multitude more demanding at 4K than 1440p without there being some visual option to dither it or render them at a lower resolution.

So is that the excuse why so many (console-oriented) games use the crappy 1-bit alpha maps + dithering for shit like hair, and even glass?

Really annoyed me in the latest FF games and MGS5.

should? my rig is 8 years old

Looks pretty sweet, mate

The Japanese can't seem into doing a shader pass to take the dithering and smoothen it out. GTA5 does the same technique but hides it with another pass.

I have an old card, nvidia gt 210, I can play a lot of games but sometimes I get FPS drops and have to play at a low resolution, what could be a good upgrade but that is not that expensive? I've been looking at some cards but I woud like to know some opinions

I take that as the "yes", then.
Sure, it's kinda passable with all that bloom + FXAA shit going on the screen these days, but just wondered why the hell did devs stop using 8-bit alpha that'd been a thing for years.

What's your budget?
100$ = GTX 950
250 = GTX 1060

It was done a lot last gen because the consoles were weak as shit, and decent alpha maps are expensive to process, so they were primarily 1-bit, especially as far as grass/foliage were concerned.

It's a shame it seems to occur in hair also. Square Enix loves using Alpha-2-Coverage which essentially is an interlacing effect on alpha shit, which makes character hair (especially in FFXIII/XV) look extremely aliased.

I'm a poorfag, currently playing for a lot of stuff ot vidya related so my budget is pretty tight, I would say between $50-$100

Gotta say I'm not looking to play on ultra settings, just get a nice framerate and maybe on normal settings

300 = 980Ti

Where the fuck does one find a $300 980ti?

the GTX 1060 is faster than 980, thus on par or even better than 980ti in some ways, and costs mere 249 bucks. No reason to go with 900-series anymore.

refurb at microcenter goes at $340. I think somebody once posted a clearance sales final at $290.

I have the same card, what are your temps user, I'm concerned..

I have a 2GB 670, it's really starting to show its age in newer games. Looking to replace it but I'm just going to wait for benchmarks on upcoming games to see how Vulkan/async compute support pans out before pulling the trigger.

1060 is not to be compared with a full fledged Maxwell, and 980Ti oc very well on top of that. The 980Ti also has better staying power due to the fact that it supports SLI when 1060 doesn't. The gap between the 980 to the Ti is quite huge.

980Ti is essentially a no brainer if you can get it at 300. That's a performance level comparable to the 1070 and not paying $400+ for it.