Ace Attorney

As someone who has never played these games but is really interested in them, what are the best/worst ones? Are the spinoffs worth bothering with at all?

Just play them matey. The first case of the first game will take you like, less than half an hour.

there's no truly bad main series games. some of the cases are weaker than others but all of the games are worth playing. they're at their worst when you know what to do to win, but you're not sure what combination of actions the game wants you to go through to achieve it.

spin-offs are mostly good, haven't played the Layton crossover though.

just go through in release order and form your own opinion

I only managed to get my hands on the first one, and I had a killer time with that. The court cases are definitely a little ridiculous but the logic is mostly there. The first three are available for digital download for 30 darah and that is sweeeeeeeeeeet. Each game will take more than 10 hours so you're lucking out on more than 1 darah per hour of playtime

What . I've played all the main ones (save Spirit of Justice) and I can tell you they're pretty good games, and while 2 has the two worst cases in the entire game saga, it makes it up with the other two cases.

All the main ones are worth playing, Dual Destinies might be dull at some points but it's not bad.

Play them in release order. Nobody will agree on which is the best or worst.

IMO
5>1>3>4>DGS>2>AAI

Haven't played AAI2, Vs Layton or 6 yet.

>Dual Destinies being the best

Shit taste detected

see what this user means?

>Haven't played AAI2

You go right now, the music is still stuck in my head 3 months after I finished it.

It's hip and cool to hate on DD on Cred Forums but it honestly had the highest number of good cases in a single game in the franchise. Only shit one was case 2. Anyway I don't really wanna spoil anything for OP so I'll leave it at that.

Objective Facts coming through

AAI2 = 3 > vs Layton = 1 > 2 = DD > poop > AAI = AJ

Haven't finished SoJ but I'd put it in the Layton and 1 tier

Play them in order

>Layton that high

I think it's a bit unfair to put 4 and investigations beneath poop. They were both good games.

Just play them in order. No reason not to. Even the worst is fun. I seriously mean: Play all of them.

When done: Move on to Danganronpa
And finally: Zero Escape

>AJ that low
Scientifically proven ranking coming through.
AAI2 = 3 > Layton > AJ > 1 > DD > AAI > dog shit > human shit > ant shit > 2

While I see your point, Layton holds that rank because I went and played the Layton games afterwards.

Just play them in order. Grab the trilogy on the 3ds shop or emulate the ds versions.

AJ was a bad game. The story telling is everywhere and the last half of the last case is full of inconsistencies.

Even the worst AA is a decent play at worse

I don't hate DD, I just think it's the weakest game in the franchise. It likes to build up a lot of tension then resolve it with boring twists.

Does Cred Forums hate DD then? Thought they hated AJ,

>grab the trilogy
Terrible advice unless you want to look at sprites that someone has drawn over in MS paint.

>not liking glorious 2-4
>not liking good 2-2

Though I admit 2-1 and 2-3 are objectively the worst cases in the whole franchise.

It's closer to the concept art than the originals were. They're fine unless you prefer gba pixels.

Danganronpa is shit though.

This.

I would think that most people would prefer pixel art to the MS paint garbage in the trilogy.

Yeah my main gripe about 2 was cases 1 and 3. Especially 3. Everyone I know, myself included, almost dropped 2 at that case. I will admit though case 4 is the best in the series, not enough to save the whole game, but very well done.
AJ was good. It turned Phoenix into a keikaku mastermind from a bumbling idiot who just so happened to stumble upon the right answers. Apollo was a great substitute and the dialogue was snappy. Plus best girl Ema returned and had some of the best court case dialogue (with the snackeroo scene). New prosecutor was great too and none of the cases felt like a chore to get through unlike 2 and 3. Sorry your husbando wasn't the start of yet another game user.

>Zero escape
The games take way too fucking long to get through. 999 is okay at best. They could have learned from DR about text speed. The first run of 999 felt like it was running in slow motion as a speed reader. Danganronpa is good, just dont watch the anime.

>what are the best/worst ones?
What's the point of this shitty question when you'll be playing the games in chronological order?

>ZE is bad
>DR is good
Oh here we go

>AAI last place

Maybe I just wanted something new after playing 1-4 but AAI was not that bad.

>One game allows me to read at my own pace, solve logic puzzles that aren't a chore to complete, and dont take forever to complete multiple run throughs
Im not even comparing stories as both have shock value twists that dont hold up under scrutiny. Im talking about how well the games hold up as, well, games.

How did you find 5 best? At this point it might as well be a beta for 6.

I'm kind of glad I played AJ before PW3. After that incredible final case, it'd have left a bad taste in my mouth seeing how it threw everything that happened in the trilogy under the rug.

Very funny.

>playing story based games not in order

Why are people dumb enough to do this?

I'd take DR over ZE anyday. Especially since you probably prefer VLR over 999, despite 999 being far superior.
VLR is good, but 999 is best.

999 alone is equal to DR1/2 though

Fuck off feetfag

Why the hate for 2? Shelly d killer should have been worth it even if you hated every other case.

Case 2 was fucking better than Case 3. Spirit of Justice shits all over every other game in the series though.

Make me, faggot.