How come there's no good DnD based vidya?

How come there's no good DnD based vidya?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j_fGKY44DaI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well for starters, D&D is not good.

>what is Baldur's Gate
>what is Neverwinter Nights

nice meme

Forgotten Realms has an infinite amount of easily usable lore but WotC is literally shit at everything but the physical Magic card game. They can't even make a functioning MtGO after like 30 tries and wouldn't even know how to contract a studio to make a good game for them because they're incompetent.

>take game whos main draw is freedom of imagination
>take away most of that freedom

thats why but seriously baldur's gate is amazing

really now

WELCOME TO THE D&D WORLD

>Cred Forums praises Planescape as one of the greatest RPGs of all time
>How come there's no good DnD based vidya?

D&D has bad mechanics when you look at the hard and fast numbers and excise the free-form roleplay element you can only get from a human DM. They missed their window to at least make a good SRPG type game with 4th edition and now the IP is withering away due to regressive design choices and terrible management so RIP I guess.

>no good DnD games

NIGGA

FUCKIN NIGGA

GO PLAY "EYE OF THE BEHOLDER" RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

AND PLAY THAT DND SIDE SCRILLING BEAT EM UP MADE BY CAPCOM

FUCK

dungeon world is more fun

>What is Planescape: Torment

If you're looking for the enjoyable part of DnD (the freeform roleplaying and problem solving) it's obviously impossible to code that. If you're looking for the stats/combat part of DnD, then there are plenty of options

Shadow Over Mystara is fucking great

He's right. Shadowrun and World of Darkness are superior systems and settings.

Not everybody wants to need a borg cube of d6s sitting around.

meme trash

THIS

Dark Alliance 1&2

Its basically Diablo: DnD edition.

>All the possible complaints with Shadowrun
>He uses the meme argument

Because the fun in a tabletop game is the freedom, no videogame can emulate that freedom, so you just have an RPG with a bunch of shitty rules.

I like to think of party based story driven RPGs with fairly complex customization as DnD games, and there were certainly a lot of good "dnd" games such as Baldur's gate series, Neverwinter nights, Icewind... basically most old school rpgs.

Then we had Dragon Age Origins, which is a pretty good game (memes aside). It's fairly safe in a lot of ways, but it captured a lot of that party based story driven RPG magic. Then the studio went full retard and cut out all the RPG elements and incorporate things that would attrack wide range of audience members.

The studios in general decided that they wanted the CoD/Angry Bird audience (they literally said this) and started to dumb down RPG games and made them "accessible" or "easy to get into". Good RPGs in general are hard to come by nowadays, so of course a party based story driven dnd style RPG is rare.

I mean, there are about fewer than 10 really good RPGs in the past few years, and some people think there are even fewer than that. Games like Witcher 3 are as far removed from dnd as you can get, so it's sending a message to studios to make more games like that as opposed to complex party based RPGs.

>>Drawn by a haunting voice, you come to the Elfsong tavern... It is a small place, filled with an motley assortment of patrons, and grizzly trophies.. There, the haunting voice is all around you, and the patrons are silent, as the song washes over them. One by one, they all seem lost to it's call..

>incorporate things that would attrack wide range of audience members.
user, are you feeling well?

Was about to mention this myself.
Don't think I've ever played a series as heavily and nonstop as I did these games.

I still have them sitting in my closet in a box.

>no more comfy D&D sessions with your lads

Is this not the meme department?

>You will never have weekly DnD/CoC/Star Wars games in college again.

I still DM from time to time, but now we all have obligations.

Not every worthwile RPG is derived from DnD
This little gem for example manages to shine on its own

How bad is f2p Neverwinter?

Just gotta make some new friends. I'm moving across the country in a month because I got a sweet job offer, so I'm hoping to meet some decent people at the local gamestore and work.

>Shadowrun session begins
Dm: ok we started at a fight, right, player1 what will you do
P1: I throw a grenade
Dm: Ok that's it for today P1 please roll out your grenade toss before we start again next week.

I haven't played 5e yet, but 4e was basically made to emulate MMOs so there's no good reason why they haven't exploited the hell out of that.
>release extra races(such as those from the monster manual) and classes as expansions(from non-core books)
>player created downloadable quests in addition to
>create your own team or play online with friends' characters
They dropped the ball, this game could have been massive if they had bothered to make it.

5e combines the worst parts of 3e and 4e.
They scrapped every boni accumulation for a advantage / disadvantage system that lets you roll 2d20 and lets you use the better / worse result.
And leveling your character is basically writing down a table what you get. with the choice between 2 different skills every 5th step in the table.

Worst system i ever played.
At least 4e was easily fixable with house rules and rule additions because it was modular as fuck.

>it was modular as fuck
Damn right it was, this is something that a lot of people hated about 4e, they felt like they couldn't do anything but that's because it gave you shitloads of freedom. 3.x had rules for everything and 4e told you that they weren't going to hold your hand any more.

I know right it's so terrible that it's all streamlined and balanced and fun to play now and combat doesn't take 8 hours

Well I played a lot of 4e because it wasn't that bad after we put in more skills, social backgrounds, a crafting system and a ton of other stuff and because it was one of the most accessible systems for newbs before switching to something better.

The thing with 4e was that it was very easy to do, the rules were so easy that you could make additions to them on the fly without destroying the game balance.

5e doesn't even have that.
And it feels unfinished... like there is no rule on how to attack while not being able to see. what makes unlit areas instant death traps.
And the whole advantage system prevents you from houseruling it because there is no penalty that is greater than roll 2d20 and chose the worst result.

It's a mess.

Play NetHack, it takes a lot from oldschool dungeons and dragons.

But it does... it has the same problems that 3e had with fights getting tedious around 8th level because the enemy HP ramps up quickly.

And it gives you no choice in your char creation. There are 2 types of every class and every char ever made will be one of those types with the exact same skills and abilities... it's horrible.

>And it feels unfinished... like there is no rule on how to attack while not being able to see. what makes unlit areas instant death traps.

Blinded

A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.
Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.

hurr durr

1. That isn't the rule, or they must have errata'd it
2. Even if it was - So blinded gives you the same mali as if you are fighting in a dim litted area... great rule system 10/10

I'm of the opinion, and I think many others are too, that it's a good STORY but not a great game.

This, Atari held the license and did fucking nothing with it.

First post best po-

...wait a fucking minute.

I wish I had friends to learn DND with

There's always online D&D. Skype and other online programs to play D&D and other games.

Look up your local gamestore. They run games, and you can network with nerds.

Just looked it up - the book version i have has a translation error:

A cereature in a heavily obseured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A).

was missing, so you were right on that.
But still think the whole system is retarded for saying.
If you are flanked you have disadvantage.
If you are blind you have disadvantage.
If you are blind, flanked, have both arms chopped off, your dick on fire and have aids... you have disadvantage.

Kills every incentive to make smart decisions in combat and stacking mali because you can get never anything better than rolling 2d20 and picking better result.
It doesn't kill only the freedom of char progression but also every need for a tactical fight.

>normie friends want to play it after watching stranger things
>they act like I know how the fuck it's played because I'm the nerd

Basically go with them to a game store and show them a rulebook and say "These are the rules for the game, you have to know them to play"
Then they dont want to play anymore.

If you wanna make sure, show them a pathfinder book or an earthdawn one...

>friends are still available
>have more friends who would be willing to play than ever
>something is stopping me from telling them it's finally time for a new campaign
It feels weird to get them all together for D&D. We just play Magic and vidya now, and that's fun, but D&D, man.

I miss it.

Maybe because DMing has its fair share of work to it....

Good times but also a lot of planning.

Most people I play with treat DnD like a video game already, even outside 4e

Nah, I love the planning process. It's a creative outlet.

>almost everyone Ive asked about it has said that they've always wanted to play DnD
>but nobody, including myself, wants to play the DM
How do you fix this?

Just have DM as a rotating position for whenever you get worn out on a campaign

Let everyone be DM for a few sessions, before letting the next player take over.
After a while there will be 1 or 2 people who actually will prefer dming over playing.

You don't even have to change campaigns. I was in a group once where we'd switch off every adventure. It was interesting trying to figure out how to link it all together for an overarching plot.

There are over 100 class and race combinations in the basic handbook alone, and that's not counting possible subraces, backgrounds, and class options. If you think that's not enough variety to create an interesting character, ur a faget.

>boni/mali
>not buff/debuff

Fucking gross dude

On the flip-side of the main topic, is there any video game you'd want to see an RPG system for? I wouldn't mind seeing a system based off of LISA, where you play as roving martial artists trying to survive in some kind of post-apocalyptic scenario.

Though I guess by that point, I might as well be playing Rifts: Kung-Fu Edition.

If I had my own development studio, the first project would be a spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights. I'd like to make it even more moddable, perhaps even to the point where you could integrate custom rulesets. This would skirt the issue of copyrighted rulesets so that the players could make their own implementations of D&D or Pathfinder or whatever, and the studio wouldn't be liable for infringement. Of course, the same would apply to monsters, items, and other assets.

One thing that frustrated me back in the day of NWN was this boilerplate text that Bioware devs (I'm looking at you, Georg Zoeller!) used on the forums whenever someone suggested a feature that would help persistent world servers in any way. Something like, "Persistent worlds are not the aim of NWN, and therefore we will not be working on that feature." Some of the ideas were common sense stuff, like allowing a DM to join when the server was already full. NWN was also terribly optimized for large persistent worlds. 64 was the hard player cap on Windows, but the resource usage (and potentially lag) would seem to double with each extra player we allowed beyond 40.

I'd try to support both small DMed games and large persistent worlds. After the completion of the tools, we'd put together a decently-sized campaign to go along with it.

Hell, I wish SOMEONE would do all of the things I've mentioned. Playing NWN and running a server led to some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming. I know NWN is still around, and there are still dedicated players, but I think the player base is just too small now.

>Take race - basically a slight stat change and a 3rd edition feat
>Take class - here copy this table, but you have the choice of a that gives you feat a every 5th level or b that gives you feat b every 5th level

6 GORILLION COMBINATIONS

Tabletop Simulator is fucking perfect for D&D.

Or just use the Fallout not!GURPS system with some custom characters for enemies that aren't generic reskinned bandits and Highwaymen.
>Replace drugs and other consumables with Joy, Jerky, and Cola

Creating a ruleset template wouldn't be all that bad, either, considering how math heavy both D&D and game design can be. Monsters would be interesting, but once you stated out all the monster abilities, then it's a matter of copy-pasting abilities and stat placement.

For it to really work though, it'd have to have an appropriately large amount of reworkable content and a ton of models. I'm not ambitious enough to start a project like that, but it is fun to think about.

I always thought it was a huge missed opportunity that there was no D&Desc game on the WiiU where the guy holding the gamepad controlled the story and dungeon and the four on the TV had to play some kind of top down RPG.

If you want the spirit of the game both the table top and the arcade play some Couch-op Dragons Crown. Definitely my local co-op game of choice for one or two friends

The Beat-Em Up was pretty alright and the thief might just be Capcom's sexiest female ever.

>Shadowrun
>superior to anything

I've never played WoD

I haven't had the chance to play any Fallout RPG systems, but considering the setting and enemy types it wouldn't shock me if it fit well.

Alas, all my friends ever want to play is D&D and Pathfinder...

Couch-op Dragon's Crown is the best. My god does the screen get busy, though.

Original Wizardry and Might and Might had an esque-DnD setting and gameplay. No one in this thread mentioned them so, here are them.

it bothered me that normal natives were just as strong as normal spaniards without lots of equipment

PC when

I don't really wanna pirate it on PS3.

Is this thing still playable today? I never really got a clear answer to that. As far as I understood, you could connect directly to other people online and it didn't require an official server in order to do so, but I've heard that it did have official servers that were shut down. It just seems unusual.

Millennial detected
You should have said no recent good D&D vidya

That's what acquisitions inc is for
youtube.com/watch?v=j_fGKY44DaI

ya its definitly at its best with a pair or three, fours a crowd but it makes for some good fun. That and the fact you have to take turns for the stops in town can make it a bit of a drag but thats a small issue when only about 5% of your play time is in town

Even that would have failed as MotB's writing is the closest thing to PST we've seen in a long time.

>4e
>take race A + class B
>take your deck of cards
>congrats they all play the fucking same
>don't worry, this single encounter will only take 3 hours, not 5 like last time.

Stop whining like a bitch and play the edition you like. You have 4 years worth of 4e material to use. It's not like that shit disappeared.

user...
Release Date: October 2007

4e is fairly customizable, we played it for 2 years and none of the PCs I had felt samey, but that's probably because I actually try to make them unique

As for combat, ya it's going to take a while sometimes, it's built to be a combat system

You can still use direct connect.
IIRC, there's also a modification for the client that allows you to use custom server lists.

4e is also one of the only tabletop systems (and THE only DnD system) that actually puts some balance between magical and martial classes

The people who said everything in 4e played the same were the people coming from 3e and expecting five dozen different combat mechanic systems to support every different playstyle. Anyone who sat down and played 4e would quickly realize that the different roles played considerably differently, and most classes in each role played differently from one another. It wasn't as much variation as I'd like - the Wizards didn't feel like spellbook researchers, and most Strikers probably felt somewhat similar - but it still worked out fairly well at what it was trying to do.

The biggest problem is that what it was trying was a fun little combat system with a few mechanics to handle other stuff. And a lot of people were far more interested in that "other stuff" than just getting into combat all the time.

Roleplaying isn't dependent on the system

>actually using the deck
>not going stealth tank
>not going puppermaster
>not going tele-druid
>not going nerf rogue
>not going nuke lich

Nigga you missed the best arch-types in ages.

Well in 4e every class fell into the mmo categories and in those categories every class was pretty much the same.
But at least you could houserule the shit out of the system to add to the parts where it was lacking.

But you know, I decided to don't play dnd anymore. because while the system might be beginner friendly it lacks in any other part.
Combat is tedious but not tactical enough to make up for it.
Character creation is too restrictive to make really unique chars.
Non combat skills are dumbed down to the most basic you'll need for dungeoncrawling.
What system is best entirely depends on what you want to play. But dnd in all editions is lacking in every part.
Its basically the beginners medicore choice.

>Eye of the Beholder
>worth playing

That is the ultimate example of a game that prioritized graphics over everything else. It is fucking beautiful for a 1990 dungeon crawler, but it has absolutely nothing else going for it. When EotB 2 came out in 1991, there was no reason to even play it aside from graphics considering M&M3 existed with an actual soundtrack, far superior character progression, a proper open world environment, more exploration, far more interesting spells and a much wider number of spells, and the puzzles of EotB were overly simplistic in comparison. Considering that we now live in an age where we can choose any game from that time period, it completely nullifies any reason to play EotB as you could just play a game like LoL1 which came out five years later, had better gameplay and looked better. Play M&M1-5, AoD, LoL1, DM2 or basically anything else instead of the trash that is EotB.

You forgot Multitank-heal-shaman

Max kek

I like the Shadowrun setting, but that system is full retard autismo. The rules for the three main branches of the game mundane, magic, and tech play so fucking differently.

I like the cyberpunk setting, too.
But the system itself is just meh,
Went out of my way to find another decent cyberpunk system and after some research i opted for a MAJOR savage worlds supplement.
While not including the core rules, the book is pathfinder corebook kinds of thick. And since it's Savage worlds i can always add some magic rules if i wanted to.

MotB was irredeemable shit though.

>Hey guys, some players rest after every encounter so we'll punish anyone who doesn't do that by forcing them to eat souls
>Also let's forget that Kelemvor and Cyric are different as fuck and have Kelemvor act like a giant dick

I mean it was good by comparison to the base game but holy fuck balls did it have some bullshit mechanics and lore butchery.

it's also another "magic is better than everything" game, even after the 5th edition nerfs

I ran an INT-CHA Gnome Paladin at one point. Remarkably good defenses and attack, was effectively the knowledge-source of the party, and had a fun trick of marking an enemy then disappearing, forcing them to waste their turn missing an attack on me or eating some damage.

Actually, you could do quite a bit with classes, as long as you didn't mind experimenting and were willing to be slightly less than optimal.

Yes, fuck yes. It's so depressing that they never continued this shit. That and Champions of Norrath ate up so much of me and my friends' time.

It seemed like they were going the not-Egypt undead tomb lord route too. Shame.

>TONs of lore but it's all in big game manuals, very hard for new people to be interested in it
>main appeal of the real game is being able to do anything, something that no game can ever accomplish
>although it invented a lot of the tropes it uses, the ones it does are highly overused already

Well there were quite a few broken combinations.
The Shaman i played could later summon 2 spirits that had his AC+something, could be made giant, had a movement stop opportunity attack and buffed everyone that stood next to them AC - while the shaman wearing an armour that got +1AC for every AC you buffed a party member that turn.

Basically nothing was ever able to hit me.
Could heal, too and had 1-2 good single target spells....

Basically a jack of all trades overkill.

>but 4e was basically made to emulate MMOs
>Final Fantasy Tactics is an MMO

>no good DnD games
there are loads of them

Sounds like that's the best option. There's not a lot out there for pnp cyberpunk. My tabletop group likes SR because one of the group members worked on 4e. He's a cool dude, but exactly what you'd expect from someone involved with Shadowrun and its rule glut.

That and the ability to make the speshalust snowflake donut steel character.

There's nothing limiting you in 5e from doing that either. One of the players in my group is a kobold and another is githzerai. There's nothing stopping you from doing whatever you want. The DM guide even tells you how to do this. It's not like the books are telling you not to.

And having a pen and paper rpg built around the combat system feels like playing fire emblem but doing all the heavy lifting the game usually does for you. It's tedious and time consuming, and I can think of much better wargame boardgames to play, but if that's your bag that's your bag.

If you wanna know, that Savage Worlds supplement is "Interface Zero 2.0" for savage worlds... they also did a Pathfinder version but i didn't look into it.

But the guys that wrote the politcal fluff for it must have been Cred Forumstards...

>and I can think of much better wargame boardgames to play
That's funny because I can't and I've looked for literal years.

Even ignoring the obvious BG2 and Planescape, there are plenty of other DnD games that are great.

>tfw best setting (Planescape aside) has no good games

Well there are systems where it would actually make a difference if you played a diplomat specialised to pull of dastardly schemes between nobles or if you would be a snake tongued conartist talking his way through the underworld.
In DnD both of these chars would have the exact same stats and skills.

There are Systems where it would matter if you were a swordfighter using a single blade and superior fighting techniques or if you were a soldier with a lance taking advantage of your superior reach.
In DnD both would have the exact same stats.

There are systems that have even faster combat.
There are systems that focus on social interaction.
There are systems that have rules for battledamage when two high level chars would fight in a town, practically destroying it in the process.

The only redeeming fact about dnd is that it's easy for noobs to get into, because the rules while not the easiest around are still quite easy to grasp and everyone already knows something about dnd due to exposure in other media.

Sweet!

Dark Sun needs a new fucking video game. It's such a great concept. Who wouldn't want to play not-Conan fighting evil Sorcerer-Kings that are secretly dragons in a world where using magic means killing off life?

And by "Sweet!" I mean the supplement, not the Cred Forumspots.

But Cred Forums doesn't.

>ctrl+f
>Divinity
>0 results

Sure, it isn't Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, or any of the settings, or any D&D ruleset, but Original Sin 1 and 2 were made to replicate the PnP feeling and the idea of player freedom to play how they want.

Closest we are getting to a D&D game

Itemfags are usually driven away from the dark sun setting because everything is some put together garbage made out of bone and stone.

Well the fluff isn't bad, but when you read their history to what happened to some countries you can't help but think that they frequented pol while writing it.
It does create a good dystopian world, tho.
And that's exactly what you need for a cyberpunk setting.

Funfact: the item lists make any shadowrun fag drool - has everything, from your normal guns, cyberlimbs, designer drugs, to complete build tables for battle mechs.

as a gm on a 3.5 i have a very simple way of handling this, no wizards allowed!
playing a warrior focused game can be pretty fun as long as you do have some magic components

There are plenty of builds in 3.5 that were as rediclious as mages.
But mages always seemed to get out of hand, because most DMs seem to forget, that mats and books to high tier spells were on par with high tier items.
And that they also had a availability to them.

of course we need to take the level aspect into as well, its obvious a wizard and a fighter going at each other will more often than not end with the wizzard winning with the exceptions being below level 2
this thread just went full /tg/

Wow, I'm so used to seeing D&D 4E get absolutely shit on for the typical meme reasons whenever it's brought up just about anywhere. Seeing people sensibly defend it is a welcome change.

I was looking for someone to mention D:OS; Divinity Original Sin 1 (and 2's early access) feel pretty great when looking to scratch that D&D CRPG itch.

except 4e has tons of content behind it at this point and it's build for miniatures combat

> almost done with curse of straahd
> gonna start storm king's thunder next month

Probably gonna roll monk again, my favorite class. Might multiclass into barbarian or use the new supplement with runes. Any suggestions for starting with monk? Max level is probably gonna be 12 or so.

I do like these kinds of games for the novelty of making spell-trigger items or enchanted gear precious, but it requires patience from the players

well being able to do a lot of HP damage is not really that impressive. all the best wizard spells don't even deal damage. it's being able to kill (or "effectively kill") enemies while being wildly effective in other scenarios that makes magic so powerful.

it's also a multifaceted issue. for example, you give a Fighter and a Wizard a month of downtime. the Fighter doesn't really have much he can do with this. the wizard on the other hand can copying spells, crafting, etc. and otherwise doing things that will fuck your game up.

>but it requires patience from the players
not when im doing it, speed and back-to-action is what i do and the players love it
the bad news is i cant write for shit so we are basically playing murder hobos and dragons

i just mean sorting through all those iteratives while tracking on-going effects takes patience.

this is pretty much what i do as well, though. my dungeons are 2-3 meaningful encounters on ironman impossible difficulty. i just do my best to murder them and they love it.

Well that's why a GM has to limit a wizards access to spells as much as he would limit the access to a +6 decapitator sword.

But overall your points are valid, i blame DnD for not having a well thought out job/crafting system for this.
If there was something like "the quality of a sword must be equal to the level of enchantment" thing in DnD, the fighter who may have put his points into blacksmithing would be able to similar things.

But than again, DnD 3.5 had this stupid system where wizards and rogues drowned in skillpoints and the fighter was lucks to have enough for the things he actually needed.

as a general rule players must keep track of their own effects and the varions on roll20 does help, now i just need some kind of tracker displayed on the dudes with the press of a button

i do have a overarching thing happening and they dont know jack yet, it turns out they dont take prisoners but i hope the same kind of masked dudes will give it away soon enough, if not then hand them a fucking note "big baddie we have done THINGS, we will stay put here for a while"
watching the fuckers storm a fully manned fortress is going to be glorious if they take on the challenge

I guess the average Cred Forums user won't be interested in these, but here goes anyway.

Gameplay/Combat: Temple of Elemental Evil > Knights of the Chalice > FRUA modules >> Icewind Dale 1

Storyfaggotry: Mask of the Betrayer > Planescape: Torment > some NWN modules (e.g., Swordflight) >> BG1/2 >

Just find a group and play the game it was meant to be played. I just hit 5th level with my fighter, can't wait for next session.

Because PnP RPGs are all about freedom of choice and every single one of your decisions having an impact on the game. At least if you have a good GM.

That is literally impossible to implement in a pre-developed video game. You'd need a fully sentient AI to simulate a human GM to get the same experience.

>TOEE
that shit was awesome and really helped me realize how fast D&D combat could be
the game it self was flawed as fuck but still pretty fun and captured the spirit of D&D pretty well

ToEE has much worse encounter design than KotC does.

>GM has to limit a wizards access to spells
You mean aside from the 2 free spells they get every level that can carry a Wizard by themselves?

You realize the player base for this is decent? Don't get me wrong, it isn't huge- & starting a new PW project will likely get no players because of the amount of time players have already dedicated into other PWs but the PWs that are still running gain a decent amount of players on a daily basis.

Perfectly playable- google NWNCX, download it & move it into your NWN folder & it'll allow you to see all the NWN servers being hosted, as bioware shutdown online support years back but this fixes that problem.

I know P&P gamers like to say that. But within the confines of the rules of the game there is in fact is a finite amount of venues available to a player even if the "options" are technically limitless.

For example say The Princess is locked in a tower. In a fortress overrun by Hobgoblins. Her father will pay any price for her safe return.

When you arrive you have at most 8 choices
>Attempt to Sneak through, free her, and escape before being noticed.
>Attempt diplomacy.
>Siege the fortress.
>Storm the fortress.
>Attempt to lure the Hobgoblins away from the fortress.
>Divide the party and divide the Hobgoblins attention.
>Leave and attempt to gather additional might

Sure it's unlikely every dimension you use in P&P to achieve these ends. Like the conversation of the team leading to the Fighter being dressed up like the Hobgoblin's patron Lightning God and having fly cast on him so he can be made to descend down into the courtyard during a sudden thunderstorm the Druid arranged while the hidden Druid and the Wizard call down and smite lightning while the Fighter proclaims he has selected their prisoner to be his mortal wife, and promises them riches in all their conquests if she's delivered to him.

>WoD

You are correct. Hopefully we get some new games now that white wolf was purchased by paradox interactive.

>that mats and books to high tier spells were on par with high tier items.
[citation needed]

>When you arrive you have at most 8 choices
And that's not even the biggest difference between PnP and vidya. Just think about a usual conversation between the party and an NPC. Let's say you try to negotiate a better reward. In a game you'd have, at best, an optional objective like "find the priceless vase" which the party will show to the NPC to get more cash. That is a binary situation. You have it and you get something better or you don't.

A good GM will reward you not just for the vase but also for how well you RP'd the conversation, maybe you're looking especially menacing today and that will add to your intimidation or you meet some other requirement. The point is, you can argue with the GM as much as you can with the NPC, you can't do that in vidya.

Which brings me to my main point, a PnP game is all about RP. Combat is important, of course, but it's more like a last resort while interacting with NPCs and PCs is a good 80% of the session. That is the very antithesis of a video game where combat is what's considered the most fun and conversation is just "talking".

I definitely cannot argue videogames can be perfectly interactive and responsive like a human. The experiences of the tabletop is about the unwritten elements as much as the hard and fast rules. But there is substance in D&D or Pathfinder or so on's ruleset and setting and so on that doesn't necessarily need fiat to make the game work. And that can be made into a video game.

If the RP experience is what you foremost want from the game, even a multiplayer D&D Online game with a player DM who gets to alterations and changes behind the scenes and gets to be arbiter of text or voice conversations with NPCs. Or can violate the rules of the game if everyone agrees the only way out is to have the Halfling mole-rider cavalier make several passes underground so they can create a hole large enough for everyone to crawl out of and so forth: That probably wouldn't register as an improvement to you and only really add a visual medium and bias-free dice to the actual game.

Ffs, you'd better not be that utter melter from the other day who had zero imangination and had to be told why doing fun things with friends was fun.

>get a group of friends and coworkers to all learn Dnd together
>dude that was hosting at his apartment gets fired and has to move after 3 play sessions
>dude and his brother leave the state, 2/5 of the group gone
>my friend and I hate the third guy so we just drop it.

My only experience with dnd. I have all the core books for 5e too. Find a GOOD group and latch on tight.

But not even the combat can get on par with a PnP game. You are always bound by a set of rules that can't be modified to do something the game hasn't anticipated. Let's say you are in melee with an enemy and you want to push him. You can lawyer your way through the situation and the GM may let you make a roll. A video game doesn't you can either make that push because it's part of your characters abilities or not. You can't grab a knife and torture the last bandit to get information, you can't slap that innkeeper because his ale offends your tastes. The only part a CRPG can truly excel at is presentation, and even that can be beat by your own imagination, and the tactical nature of combat. Positioning your party around the battlefield and taking advantage of your surroundings, again only if the game actually lets you do that, and the biggest part is probably that you can play anytime you want. Don't need a GM, don't need friends.

Wait what system are you on about? Because that's a bullrush maneuver and one of the root combat elements of the open D20 system.

My 5e group was garbage
I was the only guy who actually roleplayed.
The only guy in the group close to decent was a furry.
I had another guy who was a rogue and a min-maxer who didn't know shit about hoe stealth worked. He assumed he could go into stealth whenever he wanted and that every sneak attack counted as a surprise.
Then there was the fucking warrior. Dear God this idiot
>DM and I are talking about PF experiences
>Tell him about a time iade a monk who took Vow of Poverty that ended up finding a rock that gained magical properties when he threw it so it wouldn't break his vow
>Warrior bases his entire backstory around rocks and constantly begs DM for a magic rock

Combat maneuvers are total fucking shit if you don't build around them exclusively, that's a terrible example.

>How come there's no good DnD based vidya?
Elder Scrolls are based on a DnD game, what's wrong with that?

D&D 2E homebrew.

It wasn't very good.

combat was kinda boring frankly, and the difficulty curve is retarded, it goes from very hard to piss easy very quickly

I guess we're just not playing the same games then. CMD only gets away from armor class around level 8 in any format I've played. Mostly because everything starts getting larger than you. Sure at base levels it might stop you from knocking a guy 20' to fall off the tower you're fighting on, but it won't stop you from knocking him 5' away from the backup he's fighting back to back with to avoid getting flanked. Sure that stifles DPS but any reason you'd want to move an enemy you probably think is worth that.

I actually think the Pathfinder Monk is broken because without any of the feats to normally do so they can make as many trip, sunder and disarm attempts as they can attacks, and they're the class that gets the most attacks. Even assuming two of every three fail, they're statistically likely to make one at level one and two at level four. The statistical debuffs for not having a weapon and being prone adjacent to an enemy is doom for anyone who isn't light/no armor finesse build able to make the acrobatics check to move or stand without provoking the looming Monk's attack of opertunity.

>Sure that stifles DPS but any reason you'd want to move an enemy you probably think is worth that.
It's never worth it in a game where enemies die in 1 or 2 rounds of contact with a single character who can actually do their job.
>I actually think the Pathfinder Monk is broken because without any of the feats to normally do
Well congrats, you're horribly wrong, Monk is one of the worst classes in the game for a dozen different reasons. You get hit with AoOs for attempting combat maneuvers you don't have feats for and failing a trip or disarm check means it gets turned back on you.