Are video games really getting worse or am I just losing the ability to enjoy them?

Are video games really getting worse or am I just losing the ability to enjoy them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dSSaBllcksM
youtube.com/watch?v=7P--C-t60lI
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/rxOKEsBx4NU/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes

maybe

It's a mix a both. I could do a long post on post modernism or upload a pdf on otaku philosophy.

Basically we shat in our bed and now we have to sleep in it.

They're becoming different, and they will never be like they were.
You could learn to enjoy them, and play gleefully for an entire week, then you'd sit down in an armchair and say "you know man, these games are good, but the old games I grew up with, were something else."

And you'd be right because things have changes do much in this period of time. Also nostalgia/etc. but there have been real and objective changes that are still ongoing.

they're not "worse" but they'll never be that kind of good you learned to love. You'd need to learn to love new and different kinds of "good" because the old type died off.

>its another "i'm having a mid-life crisis, and i'm gonna tell Cred Forums about it episode"

Absolutely no one fucking cares whether or not you're losing your ability to enjoy games. You should either find a new hobby, or just kill yourself.

Niether.

It's that games have gotten better very rapidly and as such our standards have also risen extremely rapidly. Great games are no longer exceptional, they are the norm.

Shovelware is more or less gone, and AAA games have an absurd amount of polish and QA put into them. The amount of content, music and visual qualities games have nowadays fucking dwarfs what we had just a generation or two ago.

Exactly this. EXACTLY fucking this.

The former. Games have been getting better for awhile.

You know who cares to discuss it? Everyone in his situation.
You know how many there are? Many.
So eat a big fat nigger cock and get the fuck out.

Not op but I think there's a large amount of people going through the same thing on Cred Forums

smoke weed

Stop namefagging everywhere you nigger

Ok here's my wager since we are getting more games are getting better and you are just getting older posts:

>we have really strong outlines for successful and "sastifiying" video games now from a short history of gaming
>studios can mix and match these outlines to make perfect market oriented pieces
>new games hit the high notes of whatever their market wants, because that is what they are designed for

BUT

>people are left feeling empty
>people have not experienced a significant gaming experience in a while

So I wonder if when we make things just for a market, just to be sastifiying in a way that the market enjoys, that if we end up making a very shallow fun box instead of a video game. Just one streamlined hit of dopamine to the next.

The best way to explain it is that when you play older games that are well known, its like listening to a greatest hits cd where playing a lot of modern games is like having the radio on all day.

Majority of them are, but there are still a few gems.

youtube.com/watch?v=dSSaBllcksM

That's a good way to think about it, but the past few years has been dead for vidya

They haven't gotten worse, you just play shitty games. And you are probably a console peasant who only has 10 games to choose from

nigger you need to smoke some weed

hes right though

You're just not playing games you enjoy.

There's an onslaught of more casual garbage than ever, but you should easily be able to discern the gems of the year from the AAA chaff if you've been playing videogames long enough

From 2016 alone, check out Furi, This Is the Police, Va11-HaLL-A, and the Dead Rising 1 remaster

Think games themselves are fine for the most part. Lot of shitty business practices have become the norm, sadly. Also dislike how cynical and mean spirited gaming culture has become in general.

not op but thanks for these

Who is this Japanese man and why is he yelling at me?

go on

Please do. It sure as fuck sounds more entertaining than 99% of the posts here. Or the games.

The fact that I can now read everyone's shitty opinion about something severely diminishes my ability to enjoy anything now because it's not begun to warp my own opinions.

Things have gotten worse, but now everyone has a place to voice their fucking opinion and it's almost always negativity and the only way to avoid it is to fucking limit the wbesites I visit. I don't want to stop visiting the websites I like, fuck.

Stop being AAA fag and explore into indie world
I used to be like you, thinking I finally reached the age for gaming
Then I play some Grim Dawn/PoE and my love for gaming coming back all over again.

>it's not begun
it's begun, fuck.

Ok the jokes over, Valve you can release video games again, we know you single handedly hold up the entire industry the funs over you can release another game now.

Thanks guys but I was much more dramatic then any actual worth. Here's the first post.

The ideas come from a book called Otaku: Japan's database animals. It's a good book, sometimes stiff. But if you are interested in post modernism and culture today it's a good start.

Here it is in brief so you can understand my other post better.

We made a lot of shifts in the past fifty or so years, and really fast.

1. We lost the cultural narrative. This is something like what communism or nationalism has. Like how communists believed that the proles will prevail, or the nationalists believed their race is destined and will take over. The first premise is that nationalism failed in wwii and stepped out of the cultural sphere along with communism after the cold war.

(continued)

He wants you to get crazy.

Not worse, just different. And most of it is you losing your ability to enjoy them

2. What did we do without cultural narratives? (The start of postmodernism possibly?) We turned to fictional narratives. In Otaku that meant 70s 80s mecha anime. We looked for worlds that we could lose ourselves in.

3. The rest falls out quickly. We move from settings to plots, get less interested in plots and move to characters, then finally get less interested in characters and more interested in the symbols they hold.

4. What the fuck does that mean? Have you ever noticed how anime characters are almost always copy pasted from one series to a next? We aren't looking for actual characters anymore, or even (god forbid) realistic representations of people. We look for symbols that let us know they fit into a category.

Red hair? Tsundere. Short hair cut? Sporty ganbare girl. That sort of thng.

(cont)

So now we have the premises laid out I'll make a pretty short observation that I made before but in different words.

Mostly, we are no longer making video games in the traditional sense. We are making products hyper tailored to niche consumers with very little basis in reality or even human mythology.

You can take a mix of popular tags and make a game now, instead of making a game that will later be categorized.

>stick your hand in a bucket of tags
>pull out
>open world
>light rpg
>crafting
>space

BAM, you have No Man's Sky. Make your million, cash out.

I hope that made some sense, if it didn't I'm sorry. Thank you guys for your interest.

My problem with games is them being flooded with kid gamers-turned game designers rather than people with either RPG/tabletop/book/electronics backgrounds who decided to program/design games because they had interesting ideas with regards to gameplay, mechanics and setting. That as opposed to the people who make games nowadays, bred on games themselves, who are either trapped in the no-risk AAA grind or the "indie" market both of whom are essentially people who have a story they want to tell and an (older) game they want to ape to do it.

The legit high-IQ nerds and innovators have all fucked off/been hounded out to other industries (and the ones that remained keep repeating their earlier iterations to an ever-decreasing niche) and left the plebs/corp drones in charge to change the focus of games into areas that suit their strengths without a thought to what that does to their products as games. Not even getting started on how they treat their customers, either.

>From 2016 alone, check out
>an old(er) game
>a mediocre VN
>an interesting concept of a simulation game ruined by its focus on story instead of the shallow, repetitive gameplay
Furi does look interesting and I won't judge what I haven't played but whereas I don't mind pattern recognition as a gameplay mechanic I do see a lot of cutscening and a ton of shitty overlong animations lying on top of basic inputs. I'll have to play it to find out.

The problem is people shitting out garbage indie games all the time. Steam should only sell AAA games.

>1 hour
>Not a single reply
Cred Forums is learning. Doesn't mean the image isn't true tho.

This is really good and I never looked at it this way before. It would explain why games have felt like poor imitations for quite a while.

Are you familiar with Simulation and Simulacra?

That's a pretty decent read, user. Although I can see the grab-bag approach being relevant in the book's example (anime) I can't tell that it's applicable everywhere because of "post wwII modernism" or the inherent (scientific?) streamlining of everything that becomes industrial in nature- Animes, games, soap operas, movies, cars, etc. I mean are they really the product of the public's lack of interest in characteristics A, B & C or the creators' growing lack of skill or laziness or even the existence of catalogues and formats that funnel creation/production?

Then again it's pretty stupid of me to imply I'm going to reach a conclusion on the author's point without reading the book proper instead of your notes.

It's still a p interesting notion. Cheers, m80.
Got a name/author for that book? Sounds cheeky.

>Simulation and Simulacra
Afraid not. Mind expanding?

Thank you, that means a lot. :) Otaku: Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma. I'll see if I can upload it here.

Just a sec, I want to spend some time reading your comment and question.

Yes it's really good. It has to do with imitation but I think my bringing it up was actually far off point from what you were saying, my bad. In any case, I wonder if we ever will get a return of the masters or the people that grew up with them stop imitating and start creating.

The video games industry has been mirroring the movie industry as far as I can see. They're both shit because both rely on selling you sequels and franchises instead of self-contained experiences.

If you are into this then you'll be really into the book, plus Simulation and Simulacra if you get a chance, he bases a lot of Otaku off of that.

It's interesting how you talk about the public's interest in a b or c, catalogues, formats because that is what he calls the "database" in the book. You were able to pick up that on your own and that's really smart.

Good question. Really good question. I dont know, but it seems like it may be a combination of all.

The database cheapens the publics personal enjoyment (though we ask for it), the database makes it easier for producers to make games for the public (which can make them lazy).

What do you think? I think you have an insight into this.

>stick your hand in a bucket of tags
>pull out
>Make your million, cash out.
Which tags should i pull for money? I am an amateur gamedev in need of some ez bloodmoney.

I'm not connected enough to pop culture to give you a solid answer but pay attention to the games people talk about and buy.

Open world for sure. Some sort of rpg element. Difficult moral choices. Something like that would sell because it sounds like everything else. Yiu just need to put a twist on it.

>You just need to put a twist on it.
That sounds like the real challenge right there. It doesn't look like i'm going to come up with some million dollar game any time soon so i guess i'll read the books above to get some insight on it.

And you are totally right for saying it's in everything that has been touched by a industrial era. It's not just games and anime, it's everything. That might make my case weaker or it may broaden the conversation.

Simualtion and Simulacra shows you the end effects of industry, which we are already living through. We consume media which has no basis in reality.

If you are familar forgive me, it goes something like this.

Human->picture of a human-> drawing of a the picture -> drawing of the drawing

We lose the basis in reality, the process continues, media gets really fucking weird.

>I'll see if I can upload it here.
That'd be great; fucking based user.

>It has to do with imitation
You mean the Baudrillard book? Can't say I've read it and though it looks interesting, I'm really not one for philosophy. Still, I'm favoriting it just in case.

As for the latter part of the post- I find it highly unlikely. The incentive (to both) is simply not there. Monetarily and in reputation terms. I mean, put yourself in Carmack's shoes. Would you rather spend your time with rockets and spaceship design at the forefront of a relatively pristine field (and making the occasional apparition to "support" a "new" piece of tech) or making an engine for a game, having to put up with producers and distributors and put it out for it to be avalanched by complaints of kids because "teh gaem suxxor" even though you didn't get the time you wanted and the consoles you were obligated to provide for don't have the processing power for it as is and whoever designed it is restrained to only iterating on your previous games? Or as someone without a name, are you willing to risk your career for an audience that doesn't care for anything other than NBA2k or Uncharted or any number of familiar names/mechanics? Are you even allowed to make that choice these days?

Time to have kids and vicariously game through them

>want to play game
>have to sit through cutscenes, dialouge, scripted events, load times and other shit nobody asked for
>begin to play
>gameplay is shit

You might like the books and they could help you profit in a top down way.

Don't give up! if you have a solid idea many people may want to help, some for free.

What does the book say is the end result, what is this process of abstraction leading towards? In some way, the fact that we are pursing symbols makes me think about the evolution and development of language

>All these fucking bitching "jaded tired gamer oldfags".

How about you stop buying mtn dew AAA 100million ad budget hype and do some research. Select genres you like, go through the lesser known games with a fine tooth comb, pirate to test things before shelling out $60, acquire a taste for niche genres that are resistant to casualization, stop playing video games for a year and take up other hobbies like /tg/ or something.

So many solutions but it's better to come to Cred Forums and bitch that you buy the videogame equivalents to Transformers and surprise surprise it was shit.

fuck just a sec having trouble finding it again

I'm listening.

I've been playing games for thirty years and the only times I got bored enough to wonder if I'd lost the interest it was just because I'd gotten into a rut with stuff I was pushing myself through. Just dump anything that starts to bore you and keep trying new stuff until something actually grabs your attention.

Learning what? What is the lesson you want 4chinz to learn?

Triple A games are definitely getting worse, but everything else is still pretty good.

games arent getting worse

its just that they have been selling the same games over and over again for a long time now and you are getting bored of it

there will never be another ps1 or ps2=/

No, you're just getting older and starting to be picky about it.

>learn to love Super Mario Run on iphone
>people Super Mario Galaxy and Sunshine are dead forever

This is hell. This is truly hell.

Both.

Both.

Videos games are indeed getting worse aside from aesthetics.

You've also matured and have more of a refined taste now.

Games nowdays objectively have simpler and more streamlined gameplay, though.

Gotta get to those BROADER AUDIENCE, ya know.

alroght it's looking like i can't upload here for somereason but I'll find a place.

That's the sad situation we are in, video games industry wise and more. When profit is your biggest concern people can miss a lot of the important stuff. But in order to actually make something, you do really need to make a profit. I'm saying this in really simple terms. You are right.

Damn, I forgot what exactly he had to say in the end but it might be better if we have time to think about it. Because that is the era we are in now.

I think that the end state is a form of nihilism with the only escape being fictional worlds. What do you think?

Do you think we are moving past language?

thanks man

I'm sorry my responses are getting weak, need to sleep but the conversation has been really good with you guys. I'll upload a link to the book.

I came back to Warhammer Age of Reckoning on a private server after 7 years, playing every mmorpg since.

I can without a doubt say that 9 out of 10 mmorpgs I played since then were just simply worse. The only exception being Age of Wushu, but that turned to shit as well due to p2w

jesus fuck that's a tiny woman

what was his name again

finally

ufile (dot) io/73b09

(1)

I don't know if it influences my opinions but I like to think it does- being european, I've been exposed to a culture of the art-following public with certain characteristics, namely- Elite>everyone else. You can see how this translates into board culture in the patrician>pleb meme although it is important to point out that these elite are legitimately considered elite.

I find it doesn't translate (but then again, this is anecdotal) into america or japan. In america, two things happen; either the elite become hipsters (ie; a mockery of an elite) or the issue turns into Us vs Them, essentially a court battle/ political discussion. With japan, it seems to be Otaku>everyone else.

Regardless if there's any crossover or they are (or not) country/continent specific, I think it's essential to stratify these different sorts of public if you wanna reach any sort of conclusion.
>Elite
being the people who champion challenge (as in, of their preconceptions) and innovation
>Hipsters
being the people who are attuned to the cultural relevance of the object moreso than the object itself
>Otaku
being the people who said object's characteristics attract, who latch onto it and "demand" further exposition; ie fanservice (this would be where the majority of hardcore fans resides)
>Everyone else
being the people who don't appreciate the finer points of the area the object belongs to, who prefer familiarity and tho whom the opinions of the upper strati eventually bleeds out to and eventually become the much larger par of the "userbase"

To try and reel this verbal diarrhea back onto the subject, I guess I really have 2 points when it comes to games...

>I do see a lot of cutscening and a ton of shitty overlong animations lying on top of basic inputs.
You're right about that. I loved the game regardless because of artstyle, character design and music.

Also the pattern recognition is decently challenging.

Thanks man.

My opinion will be controversial:

It is not the games that get worst,
it is all you who's getting worst at enjoying things.

take Mario Kart 8 as an example.
Why don't you play right now at this moment and have fun?
Here are the reasons OP

you have become an adult
and with that comes many worries and concerns, you can't concentrate anymore to engage into the game as you used to when you were a child

the darkness of your adult life has made you numb.

we---are----getting----old

My 10 year old cousin plays both old and new games and enjoys them as mich as I enjoyed Crash Bandicoot and Mario 64 when I was 10.

We----are----getting---old

and with that

it becomes harder for us to get satisfied and get stimulated and engaged by a video game.

the old games still stimulate you now because of your past memory.

>no it's not just nostalgia
yes I know, I know the gameplay of Crash Bandicpot was great,

but I think even if Naughty Dog would give you a new Crash on PS4
you would not enjoy it as much as back them because your adult mind has toxic issues

That plus anti consumer practices like online drm and chopping games up into packs of dlc.

The leaps in tech via graphical fidelity are no longer very apparent anymore. It's so difficult now to make an informed consumer think "holy shit" at your reveal. Marketing is everywhere, and we're becoming numb to it in a way I don't think marketers intended.
As other people have stated, we simply have a ridiculous amount of decent to good games out now too. There's a huge price to pay for that, which is if everyone's great, then what's great?

tl;dr: law of diminishing returns, and over saturation between the 6 and 7th gen.

>Video games getting worse as time goes on
>Tastes becoming more refined as time goes on

What a predicament !

youtube.com/watch?v=7P--C-t60lI

This is good. So should we aspire to elite understanding?

I'm American so I might not get the nuances, but you're well spoken so I feel that I understood you.

Enjoy!

This has been one of the best 4 am internet conversations I've had.

depends
did you enjoyed games focused on shit story and cutscenes 10+ years ago? if yes , they are getting better
if not , they are getting worse

>I think that the end state is a form of nihilism with the only escape being fictional worlds. What do you think?
>Do you think we are moving past language?

Maybe having an AI that delegates tasks to everyone would be a good way forwards. It would be a big communal project we could all work towards, meaningful work to undertake. We could surrender specialized knowledge and abstraction away to the machine in exchange for work we can find dignity and fulfillment in.

(2)

1) When you have a longstanding interest in something, climbing the strata is inevitable. Yeah I realize this is going to turn into some insufferable self-aggrandizing crap but bear with me. Also, that the view from the top is always inherently shit is a-whole-nother discussion. The essence of it is, the more experience you have within the field (games in this case, but it's applicable to anything), the more you demand from it. Problem with the field itself is the more it grows, the slower the innovation gets and the simpler it gets and then we reach issue 2.

2) You can make bank targeting a specific strata. And in business terms, why wouldn't you? In artistic terms, however, and this is purely my opinion, but if you're aiming at specific strati, you're inherently artistically bankrupt or at the most, masturbating. You're latching onto your favored group and creating a circle-jerk. Great works are the ones who punch through from the top. The ones who capture the praise of the elite, who create their own event via the hipsters, who create their own otakus (mostly by chance) by virtue of its characteristics and who eventually bleed out into overwhelming acceptance via the general public. The thing is this doesn't happen very often. If it's happening less often (which was my initial point) because of the inherent risk-averse nature of industrialization of the field or because of the evolution of your own standards is up for debate.

...or something.

probably gonna need to uhhh...... archive this shit.

The gist of Simulacra and Stimulation is substituting an artificial stimuli for the real one, and getting anomie and isolation in the process, so that's my answer to the nihilism bit.

As for video games, hopefully it will become like painting or playing the piano where everyone will be able to just make their own stuff. Maybe we'll do this on the off days when the AI doesn't require our assistance, lol.

/thread

I play games I know I'll enjoy, and 90% of the time I do

>I play games I know I'll enjoy
I love Steam user reviews for this reason, the sheer number of people bringing up complaints really helps in finding out whether you'll like a game

>So should we aspire to elite understanding?
You can see in the follow up post I don't think it's a matter of aspiration but then lol, I guess if you want to derive enjoyment you should aspire to be "everyone else". Ignorance is bliss and all that. Shit, I sound like a cunt. Kek

>I'm American so I might not get the nuances
It's not exactly easy to decently gauge shit from a continent away, even if maybe it's slightly easier for me for the amount of american media that's readily available.

I tend to find people who are elite in their fields in america -always- generate hate. It's like at some point that person stepped on someone's toes and what results is what I called above a "political" discussion, ie- everything goes and your intent isn't to reach a consensus or compromise or even to teach or be taught but to denigrate your "opponent". And it's absolutely toxic. Again, anecdotal, but I find this doesn't happen much in Yuroland. A guy with 34 years career in movies (ie writing about, critiquing, speaking on tv, opening festivals, etc.) is seen as a respectable, dedicated professional and not seen as a target for whatever reason, whether that be that he didn't like A, or he didn't pay his taxes, or he had political opinion V on matter X, or that his book had typos, or that he mistook director Y for L or whatever. Whether it's coming to that or not, I dunno.

You know you can play stuff that isn't brand new right?

Both. There are some fun games that come out but its all buried beneath mounds of shit, so your experience as a whole with games is brought down because on average videogames of late are just plain forgettable.

Of videogames released in the past 5 years, what videogames do you hope to revisit and play again in 10 years and enjoy.

So how do we fix gaming Cred Forums?

make videogames

I think games are getting somewhat worse but I still think/v/ has ridiculously stupid standards for dumb shit

I mean there are still good fun games out there. Too many times I see Cred Forums nitpicking dumb bullshit to try and seem like they've played better shit

I feel you brOP
>be me
>be 18
>hardcore gamer for over a decade now and a Cred Forums browser for a couple of months now (I got most memes right too)
>tfw gaming experience has dumbed down in the last years
>tfw even my PS3 can't revive the nostalgia
>tfw thinking about quitting my NEET life once I finish highschool and become a normalfag and have a real job instead of doing a part-time job after school

>Cred Forums has ridiculously stupid standards for dumb shit
They don't. What they have is really low standards for shitposting. And when you're shitposting, every tiny defect is gold.

>quitting my NEET life once I finish highschool
Best post.

>NEET
>Not into Existentialism, Erotica or Thrillers

There are people who don't fap to erotica?

Audiophiles.

maybe getting older.

What is Eddie Murphy doing near a vintage car accident scene?

The amount of white knighting of games these threads generate never ceases to impress. You'd think, this thread aside, Cred Forums would be full of praise for the games these people claim to love, and then... it isn't.

this

Some of the most popular games in the world are Mobas, with at least 100 heroes with 4 different abilities each, and at least 100 items to combine in 100^5 possible team matchups.
Even pretending the numbers were this small, not taking into account mana, gold, cooldown and a ton of other factors, few games were ever this complex.
Plus Paradox keeps making Grand Strategy games, cinematic shooters have died out, and some of the most popular single player games are Soulsborne.

You're full of shit.

When Cred Forums says something is shit, anyone who disagrees is immediately set upon, every time, so noone bothers to say anything nice outside of confession-esque threads because it always results in 10 people calling someone a shitter for liking something they dont like.

Are you saying Paradox isn't streamlining their shit?
Have you even played EU4 or Stellaris or fucking HoI4?

Sorta like half the posts in this thread, then.

Play something old that you've never played before. I played ape escape and hercs adventure for the first time last week and really liked both. Today I'm going to play more ape escape and maybe magical doropi

Theyre getting worse, since 2007.
Its not the consoles, its the mobile devices. You better hope samsung and apple blow up more phones like portable time bombs else stop playing games.

>wants a job
>gets one at popeyes on the summer
>indian boss puts me on call
>only worked their for 3 days(2 in a half actually)
>can't find job anywhere else despite all my efforts. Thought i passed a interview at one place but never received a call.
>gets burned out from filling out to many applications from these jews.
>Can't even use paycheck from popeyes because its from another bank and i don't have an id and my passport is expired week ago.

Goddam why this hobby such an expensive hobby just to get comfy experience. Now i have save my bus money and walk to college for 3 hours just to buy a game or snacks.

The former
youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88

>Halo

I bet your indian boss still speaks better English than this shit you just posted

>unironically likes final fantasy

shut the fuck up and watch the fucking video you gook - it makes good points

There's really too many video games on too many platforms at all varying degrees of quality from bad to excellent to hold such a black and white opinion, this seems like something a PC-only users would come up with.

I played some mediocre games this gen but I've also played games that've blown my mind.

I will wait until Kingdom Hearts 3, Dragonquest 11, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5 and Ni No Kuni 2, Nioh and Gravity rush to come to a conclusion on Japanese AAA games and weather or not they're still good but it's clear interest has largely shifted over to western AAA games during recent times.

Fuck off horseposter.

>this is what Cred Forums considers a 10/10

also it doesn't make any points

halo games have always been shit

they just got more money hungry and cared less about the product

Came here to post something like this.

Tired gamer is a the worst Cred Forums meme, you attention whoring cuckolds.

>unironically likes Gaylo
>unironically dislikes classic FF
>unironically saves horse gifs

Kill it before it neighs.

both at the same time, we are fucked

I don't like how FPS games are slower and more limiting now.

You can carry only 2-3 weapons at time
You can't sprint for longer than 5 seconds
Every 10 minutes there's either a cutscene or a scripted event or a turret section or something else that keeps you away from the shooting.
Games are full of fucking bullet sponges.
Weapons are pretty boring for the most part.

I wish I could go back to 1993 and experience Doomclones all over again.

Can't wait for this.

Also these threads are always PCfags who only play western games.

D44M was pretty good.

>getting bored of games
>may just give them up and take up a new hobby

want to make a game similar to timesplitters 2 with the movement lots of weapons, characters and themes and cartoony graphics atleast the game would be fun and not restictive

rewind is taking too long 2bh its been years.

>another boring game with gameplay of dmc except without melee weapons
>fag calls that dogshit game gem

lol

>also awful voice acting of that retarded yelling announcer
> nice ps3 graphics

Yeah but it's not really a Doomclone, it's closer to Painkiller or the new Shadow Warrior than the original Doom

lmao OP. you probably just have depression and/or no friends to play vidya with. I just moved back home and I've been playing DKS1, 2, and 3 with friends and alone and it's been a blast

Maybe stop shitposting for one second and you might actually enjoy video games again.

problem is both 4chantards and redditards love under"shit"tale

Am I cool yet you guise?

These threads are such trash.

Reminder that scientific studies have shown that people who go on Cred Forums enjoy videos games significantly less then those who don't and people who stopped going on Cred Forums have reported enjoying vidya a lot more

Mobas are games for fucking children.

>Implying complexity means difficulty
Kys

weab shit lol

kek this guy does sound like a butthurt pcfag

wtf is weab

>A game released a decade ago is somehow one of the best games of 2016

fuck

Games are actually getting better and better on average as industry grows, but finding the good ones also becomes harder because, although there are more of them, there's even more shovelware.

My strategy is to never play games until they've passed the test of time, except for the new games by my favourite directors. Nobody has the time or patience to waddle through all of the horrendous shit that keeps coming out to a pointless flurry of nonsensical reviews, both randomly positive and negative.

Also, keep out to red flags. Mine are if the game describes itself as "something-like" (from roguelike to diablo-like to souls-like), if it is openly "inspired" by something (everything is inspired by something, but games wearing their inspiration on their sleeves are just derivative and rarely worth bothering with), or if the game is marketed on something other than gameplay (from graphics to social value to personal experiences to any kind of novelty).

This. This is exactly what I fucking did. Got into roguelikes, started playing Pathfinder and MTG.

I only got into games recently, and I'm hardly sentimental. As it is I have no fond recollections of videogames from my youth to cloud my judgement.

Going through gens, videogames have gotten much prettier, but much less mechanically complex, and usually are quite repetitive and boring. What's that theory, about decisions/time? The ratio is abysmal.

That said, there's quite a few series that were clearly solely for kids that some Cred Forumsirgins have latched onto and expecting that level of child-like wonder to ever happen again is delusional.

If you preface your fatigue with "why aren't games like (platformed/jRPG/etc), maybe reevaluate if you actually have any interest in videogames.

Cred Forums has such garbage taste in chicks

Everybody prefers what they grew up with as they get older, but there are also some things objectively worse about modern video games as well, like level design, amount of content per dollar, and creativity. Especially creativity, you rarely see new and good ideas outside of some indie games, "creativity" to the modern developer is just taking already existing things and mixing and matching them in new combinations.

>Stopped paying attention so much to video games
>Only visit Cred Forums once in a while to check up on latest news and webm threads
>Started getting into comic books and tabletop games
>Having a lot more fun
>Occasionally pick up a new game or two
>because i stop going on Cred Forums so much i've become less jaded when playing a game and instead of constantly looking for things to hate and shitpost about a game I enjoy them more unless they really ARE bad games

face it if you go on here everyday and play a new game but can only try to find things to hate so you can make a thread about it on here you should stop

You're retarded

Video games have gotten worse but it's our own fault.

When we were kids we used to play games like super mario world and sonic because they were fun and marketed towards kids, the core demographic of consumers. Then graphics got better, consoles got more powerful and we moved into 3d, games had more potential to become more realistic and opened the door to even more posibilities. But we got older and as we got older we wanted more "mature" stuff. More violence, more blood, more realism, more polygons, until the industry converged into a cesspool of "realistic" sandboxes and shooters. The leaps in technology made us so excited for what they could do that we lost sight of why we played video games in the first place, to have fun. We were so caught up in it we didn't even realize how the normies had infiltrated the industry and taken over as the main consumer base. We didn't notice that in our search for "realism" we had drawn in chad thundercock and his dudebros who only knew one thing, "mindless action and explosions are cooll"

This is why even though EA jews over their customers for half finished products people still buy them. Chad thundercock doesn't care about how much content has been stripped from the original game to rush this game to launch because chad thundercock only cares about what's hip and trendy and can fill in the gaps between when he's not drinking cheap beer and fucking whores. And you better get used to it because now there are more Chad thundercocks in the gaming industry then there are of us.

We made our bed, now we must sleep in it

Tags: vore, unbirth, inverted nipples

>take a year break and get other hobbies

Seriously this. Absolutely best thing you can do for vidya fatigue.

Postmodernism can suck a big fat cock in a gross gay way.
Why do people even subscribe to that shitty idea

Both. The industry has become one giant festering Jew, and you're increasingly disenfranchised and jaded.

yes, but probably both

If this works you have shitty taste in games and you're probably just playing garbage that is feeding you dopamine hits.

I want you to take a look at this video: youtube.com/watch?v=rxOKEsBx4NU

And think for a second. Do you honestly believe that modern video games manage to reach this type of depth, this attention to detail and passion?

Games have always been made for profit, but they were mostly made by people who loved their craft, and the result was evident. We had depth.

Nowadays, that focus has shifted. Games are still being made for profit, but that passion is gone. Instead of having a group of nerds brainstorming ways to make their dreams come true and make others enjoy, we have corporate businessmen developing spreadsheets and methods on how to squeeze the most money out of their product.

Can you still have fun and find some good, even great games nowadays? Sure, you can. But they are the exception, not the rule. We aren't jaded, we just have a higher standard that most modern video games aren't able to achieve.

It's a bit of both, but really capitalism has just become too much of a well-oiled machine, and it's ruining video games, and everything fucking else.

Don't get me wrong, I love capitalism, it's beautiful, but it clearly has the ability to completely spin out of control like everything else. Modern video games is a lot like modern pop music, or Hollywood. It's not that we're not getting what we want, it's that we are getting exactly what we want. Making music, movies, games; it's not an art anymore, it's a fucking science. Companies know exactly what sells, and they will make exactly that.

Our outlook on things is never challenged, because change is uncomfortable, so we get exactly what we want, and afterwards we don't feel different or greater.

Could be a bit of both. Modern games objectively put less emphasis on mastering gameplay and are more about cinematic experiences, but getting older also means you have so much more to deal with in life and you might not find the few gameplay driven games that are left in modern times to give you the same enjoyment that they used to when you were younger

>dopamine hits

So are videogames drugs?

stop spamming your shitty videos, autist
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/rxOKEsBx4NU/

both
"we" wouldn't have a problem if video games actually kept getting better to compensate for it

>So are videogames drugs?

Let me tell you about a little thing called clickers-

pre Cred Forums
>purchase game I think I will like
>most likely enjoy them
>talk about game with other friends

post Cred Forums
>pirate every game imaginable
>like some, dislike some
>Cred Forums calls me a faggot for liking a game

whats a good hobby to get into? getting bored of games, thinking of learning something useful like another language or gunsmithing.

Learning at least one foreign language is a pretty good use of your time, provided you either have plans on traveling to a country where that language is spoken one day or you enjoy media that is written in that language. Working out is also pretty fun when you get into a routine.

Yes, we should ban them.

Literature, reading some books that will teach you something. That will make you smarter and shit

You can't learn Japanese
Just give up

they're not doing anything new

>japanese
trying to learn russian then another languge

i'll read some guides and , toxicology sounds interesting as well as explosives

Who said anything about Japanese? I'm learning Spanish for the next time I go to Cancun for some easy pussy

You can lean a lot of shit by pirating books, because let's face it, games just alientate people from the world, while good books will teach you things about the world.

Shitty ones function in the same way. Needing to take a break from something for an entire year in order to enjoy it again is not normal. All you're doing is giving your brain time to become sensitive to that form of very basic stimulation again.

this autistic likely asian fucker is right. your aging dying brain is raping your enjoyment of anything and there's nothing you can do.

>muh nintendo
Naw, he's just an autist clinging to a dying company. The older I get the more I can appreciate well designed vidya. I just don't have the patience for garbage any more.

>that one beta and his girlfriend that got onto his show to talk about his gf fucking other men and raising other guy's children
>you can hear it in his nasally voice that he doesn't like it but has to pretend that he does because his bitchy gf is on the line
>all that retarded reasoning to justify it
>stefan in disbelief for the entirety of the call
I was grinning the entire time, holy shit what a cuckold.

I'd like an example of a series that perfectly pieces other games. Battlefield is arguably still worse than BC2. CoD can't fix its core issues, especially not within the mini-series.