Why isn't Game Genie a thing anymore?

Why isn't Game Genie a thing anymore?

Games aren't about being fun anymore.

Achievements and trophies

They required an exploit to run (aside from Sega) and consoles got locked down. It's still possible on PC, but that's only because it's an open platform.

you buy cheats now

Cheat codes in general are pretty dead. I don't care that much about god mode and stuff like that, but it was always fun in games like Age of Empires which had special OP units that you could spawn or why not a good old-fashioned big head mode in an fps.

you mean DK mode.

you'd just have to disable them, that's what many games do when they have in-game cheats

It's kind of sad. Cheats are one of the worst losses of modern gaming imo

The lack of cheats on modern consoles is why I'm ditching them for PC.

Also

>Selling cheats as DLC

Fuck off with this, Ubisoft.

Because things like that were shady as fuck, never licensed, and caused other issues like action replay which allowed you to play pirate games.

No they didn't you idiot. Game genie was just a save editor that you had to pay for. The smarter people used Bruteforce SD. I used it to play so many games with cheats. TLOU is fun as fuck when you have infinite ammo.

Game Genie was way more than a save editor the fuck are you talking about?

Because cheating is now DLC.

I think you may not be familiar with what a Game Genie is. It edits address values.

Because mods exist, eliminating the need for anything like that if you're on PC.

Yod lost his spark

Big head mode is now DLC

Cheats are now monetized

I miss the fun cheat codes with the goofy effects.

Things that would totally change the game and not boring shit like infinite health/ammo. Shit like you're playing a dirt bike game and you put in this code and suddenly you've got hover bikes. That shit was so cool.

Thank god for cheat engine.

Game Genie worked by changing in game code. Back in the day it was extremely simple. Load your save game, take your damage, see which values changed and edit them.

Now the internal code is WAY more complex if you want to change just one value.

That's just one of many problems.

Another is when we moved to hard drives vs cartridges and memory cards, it's more difficult to edit files and change them. There's no middle man to load the memory that's easily accessible by something like Game Genie.