How's your game coming user?

How's your game coming user?

Gamemaker kids go post in /toy/, this thread is for real developers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765427534,
youtube.com/watch?v=6HupyWOujrI
youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=h_SxVtf6Nk0
strawpoll.me/11257125
dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain/node4.html
youtube.com/watch?v=MtYF_9e2azE
youtube.com/watch?v=kfaP-KcZIcs
google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=square enix unity games
youtube.com/watch?v=UaAtu_8RHKs
opengameart.org/latest
opengameart.org/content/les-forges-pixel-art-course
alexhays.com/loomis/
google.de/search?q=How to start making game?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=J2DiV5fWI-2A8Qehhp6oCw
youtube.com/watch?v=hmPrUuQQz8M
github.com/SiliconStudio/xenko/issues
youtube.com/watch?v=MNZG4YO8ugo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh holy fuck I almost missed the GameMaker bundle. Thanks user

Also kill yourself

>Gamemaker kids go post in /toy/, this thread is for real developers.
you're basically going to get no replies then, as only really GMS fags get anywhere with their projects

My dream is to make an open world sandbox MMO. I have all the ideas down but 0 artistic talent. Which engine would I choose for this? Netcode is the most important thing.

>talks shit about gamemaker
>construct 2

You sound fucked from the get go

Nice thread faggot

everywhere will be clogged with shitty sub-par indie games from now on, the market will worse than ever before.
if you're working on a gamermaker game right now, don't bother releasing it anywhere, no one cares and your game probably fucking sucks.

Those spikes are pretty wimpy. The first time I saw the webm I couldn't even understand what killed you. Is it at least possible to have the camera turn and face the hazard you died to or something?

>t.nodev

video games are glorified toys user
we should all be posting there, your toys are just more expensive and need a manual to be used right

I can do C prgoramming, I've worked as an MMO private server admin before. I am notclueless, but I can't make models and music.

>construct 2
>real developers
Oh user.

literally nothing will change

>no game maker
>but Construct 2 is ok
lmao

Just got the GM bundle. Any youtube tutorial series you recommend on this thing?

Anyone using Superpowers?

>construct 2

wat.

fuck off underage, faggot

>No gamemaker
>Construct 2 is allowed.

shaun spalding

aside from that your best option is hitting f1 in gamemaker and using their help archive

How is Godot for 2D stuff?

Tom Francis

so fucking good

wrong, Shaun Spalding uses the objectively wrong method for making a pause screen

>Shaun Spalding uses the objectively wrong method for making a pause screen
How the hell do you even manage that? Does he make a pause room or something?

>everyone stops using GMS because its "kiddy shit"
>takes much longer or never finish their projects and there is less competition
Just as planned.

I'm currently learning ue4. I learned tool kits like fltk and qt in the past and this seems like the easiest to use out of the three

A pause room would be a better method than what he does. I believe what he does is something like make an object that contains a pause variable that's either true or false. Hitting the pause button will swap the variable. Then you have to go into every single block of code in your game, barring Create events, and tell it to only run when the pause variable is true.

e.g.
if global.pause {
[all code in your player character's step event]
}

fuck that noise, it's obscenely tedious and won't work with certain kinds of built-in variables and some of GM's other features.

>Try to get game maker bundle
>error processing request
>check bank account later
>am charged 3 times
>never even got a confirmation email from humble bundle
t-thanks humble bundle.

I haven't even touched the code yet and I can tell that's disgusting.

The documentation is great, however.
Thanks! I'll follow along with his lessons soon.

But I do that with added stuff for when the game is paused the entities do different stuff
You can just use the same base code for everything so you only need to do it once

It's functional for simple projects, but the best method I've come across so far basically amounts to "screenshot the game, deactivate the non-pause instances, throw the pause menu onto the screen." It can get a tiny bit weird when you're messing with the sizes of your views/ports, but is otherwise efficient, easy to code, and just works.

If you want things to do stuff while the game is paused, then it's not a totally unreasonable solution, but I think most GM games would be best off with the above method, since it's braindead easy and can be implemented at any time, regardless of how much other shit you've got in code.

Plus then you'd have to recreate your own speed variables from scratch instead of using GM's built-in speed variables, and I'm much too lazy to do the five seconds that that takes.

I don't understand arrays in gamemaker.
Tried making an array for a quick and simple window resolution toggle.

i = 0;
array[i] = window_set_size(1440,810);
array[i] = window_set_size(960,540);
array[i] = window_set_size(480,270);

if key_resolution = 1 {
i += 1;
}

how do I make this work?

You're setting all arrays to the i index which is 0. You need to make it array[0], array[1], array[2] etc and not array[i]

then how the fuck does it know that I'm intending to cycle through i?

and how do I call whichever array[i] it's currently at?

use a for loop dummy

You have to set the original values in the array first, then to call it just use resolution = array[i] or something later
if you don't know how arrays work, go look on youtube before you try messing with them, or use lists

I'm just getting started in Unity (like, only worked on the first two tutorials level of started) but I already have the ideas and I got a friend who's going to work with me to get 3d modeling done

>tfw in game development in college
>messing around with unity
as much as I love GMS, OP is right. It's two different worlds.

why would you use unity for 2d games though

Might as well cross off Unity as well, friend.

ENTP's anthem is just the definition of that word because they moved on to another project before adding anything else

Put the spikes in a pit. It's retarded to die just from walking on them. I mean literally think about it, unless you are barefoot then it's unlikely you will even get poked.

Just finished my WarioWare DIY game and it's pretty sweet.

no fuck you

I made this chinese ball dwagon

youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y

I'm making a le indie platformer.
Not pixel art, not inspired by the 90s classics. Just a platformer.
It's hard, not artificial, but hard indeed.
Also
It's for mobile phones

Thank you for finally excising the cancer that is GM:S, but you should really replace Construct with Cryengine.

How's the control scheme, fuckwad?

>want to pause my game in Unity
>Time.timeScale = 0

>want to pause my game in GM:S
>unload the current level and load a new level with no game logic OR create a global variable and reference it in every single piece of time-dependent logic

holy shit game maker kiddies this is pathetic

Graphics are a bit simplistic, but it looks fun as hell.

3 big buttons, left and right on the left side of the screen, a jump button on the right. I've been testing it with different people and while it really makes it more difficult than what it should be, you can grow used to it pretty quickly. So it isn't that bad, it seems.

>unique gameplay mechanics
>something other than a fucking retro pixel platformer

Holy shit you've done it

thanks, hopefully I can get some kickstarter bucks and pump it all on the art to make it decent.

thanks, it's been a while since I got a compliment.

if you released this in the mid-2000s as a monetized flash game you'd be fucking set

you've got that adventure quest aesthetic down pat

my game is just a pipe dream

what's more important to you

making the game or the game itself?

like journey or destination kind of thing

>thread is for real developers
>Cred Forums not Cred Forums
kek

>Im not allowed to make a good 2D Game

>I have to use a garbage physics engine

Go fuck yourself

It's like corruption of champions.

You have to explore a few times to get the desert
Then you explore alot of times to get to tel adre
Then you've got something worthwhile

The journey is plowing through alot of goblin sluts and sand witches just to get to that sweet ass horse pussy.
Both the journey and destination is enjoyable but while you're running around with all that goblin ass on your massive cock you gotten keep thinking about that horse pussy you're aiming for.

I implemented batch rendering of particles, but I kept this webm of my last bug.

So just do whatever the hell you want, basically.

I did the thing steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=765427534, but I'm locked out of my steam account so I can't add more to it.

thoughts on this monster?

>Echoing in the darkest dungeons of Crown Island is the shrill, metallic shriek of this demon. Striking absolute fear into all that hear it man and monster alike - it calls upon a primal instinct - an instinct of absolute dread echoing from a distant past.

>Thallox's teeth saw and penetrate through prey, indeed, interrupting it during feeding one can often see the torn corpses of the unfortunate victim hanging from the beast's hooked teeth.

Tom Francis? Like, the guy who made Gunpoint?

I made a tree
you can cut the tree

What's the purpose of Steam Greenlight

What makes it different from just submitting your game to steam

Users vote instead of Steam choosing.

Your spritework gives me serious Gen 1/2 pokemon vibes.

Reminds me of the can't wake up skeleton

Because unless you've been picked up by a big publisher or had several successful games on steam already, everyone has to go through greenlight.

>Pay the $100 greenlight fee
>get locked out
rip

Indie games can get in for just 100 bucks.

Outside of greenlight you'd have to contact steam directly and ask them for a contract(AFTER reviewing your game and accepting it.) This usually happens with AAA games which they know will get sold, they wouldn't personally bother with all the indie trash.

whoa
cool. what's it look like without the bug?

Setting timeScale to 0 in Unity breaks pretty much anything that doesn't use built in physics or fixedupdate.

So a higher success rate?

I want to make games. I want to stay extremely small though, like my first game would be atari levels of simplicity so I can get practice in before trying to make bigger stuff

Would it be worth it to program from scratch so I will actually know how to do that? Or is there no reason not to just use a premade engine these days

Not really, you need a goal, something to work towards. but be prepared to get your rocks off with lesser projects beforehand

You want to grind -literally- on goblin pussy alot as you level up your strength so you can beat that horse pussy into submission.

>GM striked out
>Construct 2 isn't
You do know that C2 is even more babby-mode than GM, right? It doesn't even have any kind of scripting language
Way to be an underage contrarian

Start extremely small*

Particles don't mix their vertices with others.

Good! It's a monster-tamer in GBC-esque style (lower res, higher color).

Maybe this pic will add to that.

faggot

it's a daily type thread

weeb

this. good games still thriving according to steamspy guy.

shitty games that previously try to get money by appealing to genre that HAVENOGAEMS just have a hard time trying to make their money back.

Anyone know how to have decals that only render if they're touching a surface, i was using projectors but 20 bullet projections on screen at once caused a massive fps drop. I want it so you can shoot near a corner without half the bullet hole decal floating in the air.

Why

Steam already takes 30% of profits

How good is Unity for mobile games? I've heard it's far too resource heavy even for simple games

Working on character designs/animations for a topdown zelda-like right now.

>Top down zelda-like

>Top-down

>Standing straight up

That's not how perspective works

Unity is resource heavy even on normal PCs if you don't know how to optimize your game. I've been testing across different mobile phones and I've had problems with older phones, tho most of the post 2012 phones can run the game pretty well

>I've heard it's far too resource heavy even for simple games
It's very slow on mobile. You're better off writing your own engine for mobile.

30% of $10 bucks isn't much kind.

It takes at least several dozen of hours of paperwork for each game at that cost a hundred times more than the profit you are giving them with your shitty mobile game.

/rpgmaker/ reporting in. It's going fine, got the gameplay and story done and now I'm gonna make sprites for all the characters and draw the maps. Pic related is just a silly test

If it's well optimized, it runs fine, though on older phones it'll cause heat-up or shuddering. Unity is pretty much the defacto for mobile by now.

It's pretty shit on PC though.

The game itself.
I really like making the game, it's really interesting and challenging, but in the end I'm doing it all to make a good game.

Because then you'd waste their time with million trash miniclip games for 0 dollars? 100 is a low barrier considering the kind of profits it can net you.

>real developers
>uses unity, unreal and other premade shit
ok kiddo

>no scripting language

you mean no MUH ORIGINAL scripting language.

Book of life?

How resource heavy it is is entirely up to you. If you've got a really simple game that runs poorly, you're doing something wrong.

Same for on PC. I see lots of Unity games that run like shit, but that's because they're poorly optimized. Lots of Unity devs have no idea about optimization and so they shamefully make no attempt at it. The truth is it's tremendously easy to do.

Im trying to make a gameplay mechanic similar to Megaman Battle Nework but with more freedom in movement

But i don't want Attacks to have shit detection in the free movement

Is making the tiles for positioning smaller a better way to fix this or to make the hitbox of the attacks a lot bigger

Okay

also

>Assuming im making a low effort mobile game just because im asking

Rude

Good luck. I'm using RPG Maker too. I'm in the writing story part.

I think MMBN is too closely connected to grids to do so without concessions. Basically, there's 3 options
>use grids
>don't use grids, but focus on projectiles instead, no chips like cannon/shotgun
>don't use grids, do use instant chips, but let the player aim. now you've basically got a twin-stick shooter except you can't leave your half of the field

delicious

Anybody?

Its coming along.

I chose to make a pinball game because I'm a shit programmer, but figured it could show off my art. I have no passion for this game.

Art looks baller. I imagine pinball level design is not easy

If you wanna be Atari levels of small, programming from scratch is always the best option. You gotta know a lot of programming for vidya development, so you should really start from scratch to refine your programming skills and then go for pre-made engines and shit

Ray trace to the point and check for collision. If yes, place the decal.

>shit programmer
>physics heavy game
oh boy

>no passion for this game
>game genre that requires extreme ammounts of design knowledge to not fuck up
OH BOY

Are you the person who walks to every shops and disregard vehicles and all manners of transportation as pleb and unworthy of you?

If not, then use very advantages you can get and every program that make life easier for you. Gamedev is hardwork and you need every single advantage you can get.

Looks nice. More pics?

That's pretty sweet, what program did you use for drawing it? I'm trying to get back into doodling but my shitty pirated version of PS is slower than a fat a woman jogging

>No Gamemaker
>Unity allowed
>Gamemaker the edgy edition still allowed

>GM Studio

just post your gamemaker game. evil op won't know

This looks great user

>physics heavy game
most modern development suites have tutorials or pre-made physics components that work very well and are easy to impliment

>game genre that requires extreme ammounts of design knowledge to not fuck up
not really. ball bounces, hits things, gives players points. if that's tough for you, then maybe game development isn't your calling

You're better off working on more art if that the case. I'm not a fan of the style, but it's really well done. Using a game to show off your art when you're not invested into making the game good is a net loss when you could be using the time to make your art speak for itself or to have someone else make the game while you try to make the art for it as best as you can make it.

>not really.
you have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll just drop this convo right here
god bless

I'm using UE4. Just making a point.

>not really. ball bounces, hits things, gives players points.
not him but you have an infantile view of game design and pinball and kind of proved the dude's point there

I just wanted to know if it was worth it to know fully how games work, or if that wasn't worth it these days

Thanks, I figured as much

not really, just have that so far for the main table. still need to make the title card and some more assets for the board.

i use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro on a Samsung Note 10.1 and clean up my art using Adobe Photoshop CS4. if you're not comfortable with an input device like a Wacom, i suggest practicing in MS Paint. there isn't any pressure sensitivity, but it will help with training your hand/eye.

if you don't have a tablet or something like it for input, i suggest an art style using blocky shapes or pixels. you can get away with mouse art better with those

At that point just make a 3D IWBTG.

Thanks, user. Good luck to you as well.

Bigger characters and attacks can make a world of difference. It can change two sprites plinking uselessly at each other from 500 yards into exciting, dramatic battles. The pacing of battles is directly tied to whether not the player and enemies can fucking hit. Obviously the hitboxes shouldn't be bigger than the graphics, though. You can cheat by adding lots of fancy flashy effects, though. If you swing a sword and it leaves a giant white trail larger than it people will get the hint: this is where the enemy needs to be if you want them to die

Just keep in mind that gauging the hitboxes of characters and attacks using Battle Network's perspective isn't easy. That's probably why they used a grid in the first place.

I'll murder that aesthetic with a real colorist and pixelartist once I get some money!

I-I'll show you all!

thanks man. It's much better in motion and the video is quite old, but I'll remake it once the final version is on.

Is the mobile games market too saturated nowadays to be profitable without a strong brand? Should I give up on it?

well, excuse my ignorance. i've made a working prototype of my pinball game that works similarly to games like Space Cadet that was bundled with Windows 95 and I used its design layout as a rough template.

My pinball game works and in some ways; better than one bundled with a major OS release. Maybe designing how and where a ball hits is some monumental challenge for some, but to the laymen, you can achieve nearly identical experiences with little effort.

That's the day job basically

game must be edgy and ballsy

using these "make ur own vidya" kits for your typical indie game is the equivalent of driving a hummer to your next door neighbors.

or like taking a taxi to the bus stop to take a bus to a car rental place to rent a hummer to drive to your neighbors house

Just make sure that if it's playable without a touchscreen, you put it up on PC, somewhere like itch.io maybe.

and have a screaming head for an icon

maybe you've got it figured out, but your "ball hits things, player gets points" post did sound incredibly ignorant. like someone saying street fighter is just "punch other person, health goes down" without any indication you understand anything else about the game

Then what is building an engine from scratch for an indie game? Walking to the scrap yard and piecing together a box car then hoping your neighbor lives downhill from you?

Was going to buy the GameMaker bundle, but no one wanted to help figure out how to properly render view over view.

Still working on my engine in C, using SDL2 for graphics/sound/input, Lua, and ezXML for reading .tmx files. Entity information is stored internally as well as in a table array in the Lua VM.

I actually have everything working good but i'm at the stage now where I have to make the game.

yeah, sorry about that. i've been working on it a bit and i knew next to nothing about pinball aside from my experience with Space Cadet and the Terminator 2 arcade game I played as a kid.

now, i know quite a bit more about the systems, but it is still mostly a reactionary system with only minimal player input. 2 paddles and a bump really. from there, the physics engine and hazards (i guess thats what they are?) really take the game from there. the teeth on the skull fall out when the ball hits; once they all fall out, the eye drops out and becomes an additional ball. i have no other gimmicks added just yet, but like i said, i'm not too passionate about the project, making it difficult to work on in my spare time

plan is to make a native windows/linux port, figure out how to make an iOS port from windows, and use emscripten to make an HTML5 port (is that how emscripten can be used?)

I've heard of this LuaJIT, how different is it from regular Lua?

C2 dev here. Let's see how much money you've made with your GM games. This isn't even my main game up on Steam.

why didn't you show your main game

walking

my point was you don't need a full 3d rendering engine with physics and particles and a professional asset pipeline for your pacman clone

I've made it with more people so I don't have access to the partners page.

Looking to get into Unreal. Any suggestions, tips?

oh i see
well nice job

>[emoji].png
what is this cancer

What about a free and open source engine made from scratch?

How easy is it to release onto Steam using Construct 2?

I've worked in the engine making some stuff but my team has always pushed to go to Unity which leaves me hanging as I'm not the programmer type.

>enginedevs

let us know when you've made a game :^)

Slow and steady. I'm taking way too long tuning basic mechanics before moving on to some enemies. Also, need to practice more with the scenery. All in all, I'm gitting gud. I can do so much more now than when I started this

let me know when you're not using a proprietary botnet that steals your freedoms, peasant

Releasing anything on Steam is a piece of cake but you have to deal with a few command lines.

C2 Steam achievements support is atrocious though. The main developer behind C2 hacked together a plugin to make it work but it's very very finnicky and not straight-forward at all.

If you can get past that, it's a pretty good tool. After a while you can get shit done with it pretty quickly, and since it's small you can download C2 and make a game in a few minutes pretty much anywhere.

>no GameMaker
>Construct 2 gets passed
Jesus man, I'm not even going to complain about Unity, but that's just beyond retarded.
8/10 bait, made me reply.

>C2 is $130USD
Good one.

this.

Construct2 is absolute cancer. and so is it's community of Indians and Mexicans. They devs are total cunts as well

heartbeast is CUTE

"Good morning, evening or afternoon, whener and wherever you are"

good
better than for 3D stuff
as a freetard, I like how Epic made UE4 almost-open-source, but I wish that Godot Engine would become industry standard because it's FOSS as fuck

Tbf that's how perspective is in Zelda. Characters are facing forward but the world is top down.
They even made everything do the Michael Jackson lean in ALBW to preserve that look.

i liked him until i found out he's a normie with a wife and kid

now i don't like him

you meant to say

"gooood mooorning aaafternoooon oor eeeveniiing, wheerever and wheeeneeeveeeer youuuu aaaaree, myy naaaame is beeeenjamiiin..."

I have to watch his videos in 1.5x speed

So...you don't like people that have relationships. That's....weird.

I fucked up the order of the events, I don't have a problem with his pacing though. It's better when people are explaining things. I hate it when I go to tutorials and people blaze though everything as quickly as possible as if they can't wait until it's done and they can stop talking

>How resource heavy it is is entirely up to you
Not really. It's also up to how the engine's classes you use behave. An engine can calculate light effects more efficiently, while others can make your software more demanding, for instance.

I think it looked cooler with the mixed vertices, t b h

>box2d
>garbage

epic

>implying pinball requires anything other than 1 or 2 physics materials

retard

>selling a shovelware game for less than a dollar that people only buy for cards/badges
>bragging

>I've heard of this LuaJIT, how different is it from regular Lua?
Lua is interpreted
LuaJIT compiles Lua code into native CPU instructions which gives a massive speed boost.

This makes me want to cry. Holy fucking shit do some programming tutorials.

>if(!global.paused) wrapper for all (3) step actions + draw
>hard
Nigga you need to calm down.

Everyone that uses gamemaker is like this.

Not me, but I also have a job in comp sci

It's not that it's hard, you fucking gamemaker idiot. You just proved my point.

Programming isn't about figuring out how to do things, it's trivial to make the computer do anything you want. It's about figuring out how to do things PERFORMANTLY, MAINTAINABLY and CONCISELY. Polluting the global namespace with a billion fucking variables is BAD PROGRAMMING and you eventually pay for all the technical debt you accrue doing dumb ass shit like that.

>23,410$
>71.790 units
> about 0.33 per unit

>he doesn't know that this is exactly how pause functions work in any engine, except with singletons instead
Top pleb.

OP just wants to feel better than someone but doesn't know enough to actually program.

Of course it is. So you could implement it with a singleton if you were using a real language, or you could check mutable global variables that could be changed from anywhere in the program at any time. You read the latter part of that sentence and think "yeah, nothing could go wrong there" because you're fucking stupid.

I remember the days when unity was the one crossed out and made snide remarks about. Oh, I do enjoy those piteous moments of days long gone.

>I remember the days when everyone was a memespouting nodev who parroted the worthless opinions of other nodevs to fit in.

>documentation for GODOT is almost entirely outdated and shit shit
>none of the games that use it to date are especially impressive, mostly the scope of shitty app games
I like how well it implements object-oriented design principles and how much it pleases overlord and master Richard Stallman, but those two points spook me too much

I like the theme. but something seems off about those tongues as the bumpers. Maybe change 'em to feet.

Why would you care about that for a small amateur game ?
The less time you use to make things works, the more time you have to make things fun.

>being so fucking bad at programming that you mix up an assignment and comparison operator
>being so bad you accidentally type "global." when you want to use a local variable, therefore accidentally changing it
>not just creating getter and setter scripts for your globals
>any functional difference between properly used globals and singleton storage objects existing
This is how I know you're a first year CompSci student who just started Java.

Probably because
1.) I work on real projects, and
2.) I liked the idea of writing code that isn't fucking embarassing so I could use my games as portfolio pieces to get hired at a studio instead of cobbling together barely working shit to peddle on itch.io.

Looks good man.

Doing a bit of polishing for current levels.
Designing clock themed level now.

youtube.com/watch?v=6HupyWOujrI

>sold 37k units
>made 24k

Wat. How much did you charge for the game?

this thread is pure gold

>real projects
FizzBuzz in Python doesn't count boi
>I liked the idea of writing code that isn't fucking embarassing so I could use my games as portfolio pieces
If you want a portfolio you shouldn't be making games, and if you want a portfolio for gamedev you should know that indies don't give a shit and big companies don't look at your games at all.

You're just trying to find some way to feel superior to people.

>So...you don't like people that have relationships. That's....weird.

normie, you have to go back

I also remember today right now.
I mix up assignment and comparison operators sometimes, it's a pretty common typo.

>If you want a portfolio you shouldn't be making games

My games portfolio got me a $60k work from home job but feel free to give me more advice, community college student

>this webm is 18 days old
>i haven't made any progress since then

JUST

Haha you sure got me.

Didn't you get btfo on agdg a week and a half ago? Nobody in the real world gives a shit about your elitism.

I left /agdg/ behind years ago when I started doing actual work

game dev threads are typically accepting of the fact that some people have a life
Actually most good devs tend to interact with the world pretty well. Alongside knowing how to program and make things work, it's kind of important to understand at least something about life that you can transmit through your work.

Cool, my portfolio got me a $95k work from home job while I was still in University. Guess what it didn't include?

Let me reformulate my question.

Why would you care about that for other people's small amateur games ?

nice shitty gungeon clone, faggot

>le internet communities are below me, for i am a successful adult

yet you're still here
what a sad, sad man

>mixels

Dropped.

Why is it so fucking hard for people to run their shitty rotated sprites through a simple aliasing shader?

how did you get your artistic skill?

Games are the sum total of a huge range of skills both technical and creative and if you don't think they can bolster a portfolio you probably suck in job interviews

Because he's an insecure control freak who never gets anything done, so he likes to pretend everyone else who does get things done is doing them wrong in order to justify his own failures.

tl;dr small penis.

Oh hey, are you that guy who has all these edgy winnie the pooh RPG mockups on youtube?

At least it isn't a Unity cube

mixels refers to mixed pixel sizes you fucking retard
Learn what the fuck you're talking about before you complain about things.

not there yet, but i'll try to get rid of rixels later on when i fiddle with resolutions further
it wasn't bothering me before but looking back at it it looks pretty odd

shit man iunno

whoah, care to share other examples of your art? This looks cool as heck

Dont want to be an asshole user but ideas are shit you better start learning programing if you want to make a videogame

>gamedev thread
>someone will post the meme image of the retarded dev with his diploma
>did a dev course
>still don't know how objects work
>got my diploma
I don't know how to feel about that, I really want to know how to code, but I just can't do it

He already said he knows C, that's enough to get started in whatever dumb shit

Like shit. I've been storyboarding for a month and now my dialog trees are looking more like a novel then a fucking video game.

How the fuck does one create the illusion of giving the player choice without having to do so much fucking work?

I should be like the fucking Steam Greenlight fuckers and just pop out Unity assets at random and hope to make a buck or two off of getting reviewed by Jimquisition or some shit.

Objects are basically just a package of variables and functions. When you instantiate an object, it's pretty much just like making a variable, except the object can have much more than a single variable's worth of data in it, even other objects.

In ye olde days we used structures and special functions to operate on their data. If you want to learn more about OOP, pick up C and start making programs that use structures.

>did a dev course
This was your mistake
Literally everything you could ever want to know about programming is on the internet(unless you're working on a closed system like demandware or some other proprietary dumb bullshit(god help you if you work in web) shit, then only half of it is and you can't access it without a login)

>unity

You could say that for most theoretical courses though.

that's the exact problem, you talk like a dev, because you understand, despite all of it, I still think an object is a general blueprint of a specific set of action, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong.

>dev course is a mistake
you're 100% right, it wasn't a course to learn how to code, it was a course to allow people who knew how to code to focus on specific parts to be able to improve.
thank god I had enough management skills to be able to pull out through big class projects

I guess the real learning comes from solo job, by trial and error some shitty side worthless projects, at least that's how I feel after 4 months of playing in my corner

> construct "no coding required" 2

enjoy your 300$ shovelware meme engine.

You have to work with them a lot to really have a fundamental understanding, and even then most people don't care.
At the end of the day an object is a container for stuff, be that data or instructions on what to do with that data(or other data that is handed to the object)
Really OOP is kind of a fucking mess, just learn Haskell or Lisp if you want to learn how to program.

Thanks.

The tongues are a little odd, but a gag to go with them is the jaws rotate in turn which sells the effect better, but yeah, maybe i'll move them up top or raise them to mid for supplemental bumpers

no, but i'll have to take a look see; sounds funny

sure, here's a turkey i did for thanksgiving that got me front paged on Newgrounds

Ok, I'll try to make it simpler. Let's look at an example object in pseudocode.

class Circle
{
double radius;
double circumference;
double area;
circle(double r)
{
this.radius = r;
this.circumference = 6.28 * r;
this.area = 3.14 * pow(r, 2);
}
getCircumference()
{
return this.circumference;
}
getArea()
{
return this.area;
}
setRadius(double r)
{
this.radius = r;
this.circumference = 6.28 * r;
this.area = 3.14 * pow(r, 2);
}
}

So basically here we've got a really REALLY simplified object. The object has two parts, data and methods (or functions). The doubles at the top are the data that the object holds, every instance of the object will have its own unique copies of this data. The rest of the object is methods.

First we have the constructor Circle(double r). When we make a new Circle, we've gotta give it a radius so that it can set up its data. Inside the constructor we tell the object to use the radius we gave it to calcuate the other data it needs. The other functions are simply called by using the instance name and referring to the function. So, say we made Circle myCircle, to call one of those functions we'd say myCircle.function(), or myCircle -> function() depending on language.

We could also make this same behavior with a struct by defining a struct to hold the data then writing some functions like the ones in the object, but since all this data/functions are related it makes more sense to group them into an object.

>Gamemaker for kids
>leaves Unity and fucking Construct

kek, made me go into this thread and reply

>user said yesterday he would post glasses loli with twin braids
>he didn't
fuck you /agdg-v/, you're full of shit

Not much done lately, just fixed the bugs with the screen scaling. It used to be misaligned upon re-loading your game, but that's sorted now.

it's really hard to make out their faces

>OP butthurt that he missed the bundle

Please explain. Is it the colour difference between the pink on the face and the eyes?

yeah

I want to say it's the eye color making for weird contrast but also the framing of the girls face makes it look almost blurry

Novice here. Can someone explain to me the purpose of classes and objects? I mean, is there anything wrong with simply calling functions as plain ol' functions? My guess is that classes are used to keep large projects more organized.

It groups logic and the data it operates on together. Also inheritance allows for better code reuse, and polymorphism/interfaces can let you do a lot of things that would otherwise be a giant pain in the ass. Going more in depth in a Cred Forums post is pointless, but do some Java tutorials or something.

Reuse and scale shit.

Imagine you want to make chess. You have 16 black pieces and 16 white pieces. Now if you wanted to make the code for a pawn to be able to take another piece, you would have to make special checks for them to take an enemy pawn, knight, rook, bishop, or queen. Furthermore, you'd have to write this code twice, once for black, and once for white.

If you were using objects, you could just make a "Piece" object, then have that be extended by the different kinds of pieces, thus meaning that you can treat them as being the same for certain actions.

Dude that looks sick. Have you a tumblr or a deviantart?

Sorry user, you're going to have to explain again. I don't know what you mean by the framing making it look blurry.

Having a record of how your data is organized and operated with in your code is convenient. Polymorphism and inheritance is a meme though and you shouldn't bother learning it

>PERFORMANTLY, MAINTAINABLY and CONCISELY. Polluting the global namespace with a billion fucking variables is BAD PROGRAMMING and you eventually pay for all the technical debt you accrue doing dumb ass shit like that.

Are you retarded or something? How fucking stupid are you?

First off, if you think you're doing something right in programming it's more than likely that you're doing something wrong. The worst kinda faggots are the people that think there's a One True Way to program and as a result they tend to make all kinds of stupid design decisions that end up being utterly unreadable or unmaintainable. You should evaluate things more in terms of risk. If you right a shitty function that gets the job done but never ever have to revisit or rewrite it, that's better than the most beautiful function ever made but has to be constantly maintained.

And it's funny that you mention that you work on 'real projects', yet you say you want to use your games as portfolio pieces to get hired at a studio. Here's a reality check for you (as someone that WORKS AT STUDIOS) dumb retard: No one will look at your portfolio. They will never comb through your beautiful code. They won't care.

Which brings me to my second point: In game development how beautiful your code is means jack shit as long as it gets the job done and doesn't break something else. Get it working first, then deal with it.

>Polymorphism and inheritance is a meme though and you shouldn't bother learning it

>Polymorphism and inheritance is a meme though

>Polymorphism and inheritance is a meme

Post 5 good use cases of polymorphism. Protip, you can't.

Not really, just post stuff on Newgrounds and my blogger once in a blue moon and even then it's just really to shill the work of others, so I'll leave that be.

I had a deviantart for a little bit, but didn't like the environment and never got on tumblr.

Just in gamedev? Ok.
>enemy arrays
>item arrays
>map tile arrays
>general UI component lists
>AI objects for enemies

In other news, you're a fucking retard.

How is it compared to Clickteam Fusion? I've been using the latter and its quickly becoming unweildly.

the core dev is an ex-staff for Clickteam

this. If you want to go FOSS, use LƖVE (Love2d), AGS, MonoGame/FNA, or HaxeFlixel.

>not only having the radius member variable and calculating circumference and area on demand

How do I git gud at art? I get the programming well enough and I can make music, but art is something I struggle with.

RAM > CPU these days, but if you were writing for a small embedded system that would be the best option. Also
>writing real code on Cred Forums

is this real

learn to do small pixel art. even autist devs like Phil Fish practiced until they were good at styles they liked.

Practice. Just like music it's all about construction and perfection

I hope you're using gimp and blender :^)

How do I get a team as an idea guy with no money, I write plenty and have drawn crude map layouts, do I need to do more?

It's the best option no matter what; otherwise you need to be careful to maintain the functional relationship between the three variables.

Keep drawing. Look at lots of art, and copy anything you like about the style. That's it.

you have to talk to people you fuck, but even then you need either art,programming or sound skills, people ain't gonna listen to your shit if you can't do shit

Post your crude maps.

Nope, if your CPU is limited or you want to have an absolute shitload of these which need to return their values frequently but only set them rarely then precalculating it is the best option. Not to mention this is example pseudocode.

>

Which of these ideas sound better?
> Top-down sci-fi shooter as a private defense contractor for a distant colony. Involves shooting up pirates and aliens while defending small settlements that manage themselves. You can redirect colonial shipments to drop them from orbit on enemies.
> Beat-'em-up mixed with a visual novel as the right-hand-man for a succubus. The succubus tries to run a neighborhood strip club, but the other demons and angels are screwing up business. You are sent in to fuck their shit up and recruit people to work for you and her.
> Adventure game where you were a paranormal investigator who now works as a private detective for a small town not too far off from Animal Crossing. Cute, optimistic characters contrasted by grim circumstances.

You're gonna have to do at least some of the hard work yourself. If you can prove you're idea's worth something, people will be willing to help, but if you're just gonna hope someone's just gonna make your thing, then you better have a fuckton of money

I'm using openGL primitives for now while developing the core gameplay. didn't want to recommend C/OpenGL because anyone that uses them is either clueless or already knows what they're doing.

feet hemorrhage?

I like the first one. Third one sounds alright if you've got a good artist.

How do I get motivation to draw after spending a few weeks without doing anything?

>Gamemaker kids go post in /toy/
iji says hi

you forgot your board, m8

find a muse

#3 has been done to death e.g. Pathologic, and usually doesn't turn out well
#2 sounds alright
#1 is best but harder to pull off than #2

tell iji i say Hi back

>C/Opengl
Mah nigga. Avoid SDL on Windows. It's a good substitute but it's performance is terrible compared to win32 api

your guess is correct, some very experienced programmers hate classes and objects and prefer structs and functions and think OOP is terrible

Functional programming is objectively better in general, but I doubt you're going to have a very good time if you try to make a vidya game under a functional paradigm.

Richard Stallman once ate something he picked off his bare foot live on camera.

you have to delete system32

I'm using GLFW.

its easier to cache data after the fact than pare down foot print. also exponential explosion faults on storage limits while process overhead just slows thing down.

youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ

Looks like N'aix finally found himself a good hobby

>you want to help out on some projects on github and get a portfolio built up
>but you're too scared of people calling you a fucking moron if you mess up and telling you to fuck off
>or you might end up contributing on a project where they expect your shit to work perfectly and you're afraid that your contribution might fuck it up completely

this is the worst

Make your own projects on github.

>github

The business world doesn't give a shit about your meme repos.

>business world

Have fun with your rapidly approaching suicide NEET.

>NEET.

Is there any way to run GameMaker in Wine on OSX?

>meme

Fork that shit, make your own build, then when your confident about your work, send that shit upstream. If you really wanna make sure you don't fuck up, message one of the people working on it and ask them to look over your changes first.

just try it? if it complains about missing DLLs, install the necessary packages with winetricks or manually.

I figure that's the plan, I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with trying it.

godot should work on linux

But Godot is a flaming pile of undocumented shit. If he wants to do 2D he should use GM:S, Love2D, Monogame or Haxe.

>this dipshit again

Please someone say something so I can get some motivation to get back on my track.

I'll buy your game day one if you finish it

Burn in hell

youtube.com/watch?v=h_SxVtf6Nk0

YOU CAN DO IT user

I BELIEVE IN YOU

NOBODY CAN CHANGE YOU BUT YOURSELF

SO IT'S TIME TO PULL YOURSELF THE FUCK UP AND GET BACK TO DEV

YOU CAN DO IT

step up nigga

I'm gonna fuckin kill you if you don't get back to work man

hope it's going well user. share some social media I can follow your awesome progress on

>Unity

Who does it get a bad rap? Is it only because a lot of amateur game devs prefer it?

Asset flip

I don't know if I'll ever be confident in my own work. I think I'm trapped in that amateur professional stage where I know my shit but I have no fucking clue how exactly to apply it.

That's because you don't apply it. You iterate it.

>construct

Go get shot by cops, you nigger.

Honestly, anyone falling for any insult regarding popular game engines for indie/solo dev are fucking retards.

It's mainly comp sci fags who post here and in /agdg/ who try to brag that real dev requires you to code your own engine and game from scratch.

This negative stigma honestly discourages people from posting and using said beginner friendly engines like Game Maker and Construct, who will probably get closer to releasing their own game than some comp sci faggot who spends a majority of their time coding their engine instead of planning their game and design.

Then do the second option, just never send it upstream. Working with other's code is still a way to improve yourself, even if whatever you tweak never makes it back to the main code.

Or just enter one function to deactivate all instances except the calling one, but obviously GMS is simultaneously too easy AND too hard for you.

So why does GM get a bad rap exactly?

AMR2, papers please, undertale, spelunky, niddhog, gunpoint, hotline miami...

What good indie games have come from the other engines exactly?

>undertale

>good

He probably isnt from US and have to sell the game below 1USD so the people in his country is able to purchase, maybe india, maybe russia. Who knows.

It doesn't. Know one cares what your engine is but people who want to talk about game dev but have nothing interesting to say so they shit talk everything.

undertale sold over 2 millions, it kinda btfo you even if it was sold at 1$

How long has that game been out?

Well because of the results of this poll strawpoll.me/11257125
I'm getting going on 2 soon.

Whatever you say freetard.

I mean if we're gonna use that logic couldn't we say almost anything used recreationally is a toy? I'm not even upset, that's perfectly fine by me, I'm just saying.

Mine is going okay so far it's supposed to be a tile based rogue-like. Here are some of the character sprites

runeacape private servers don't count

>want to make a fighting game
>am exceptional at pixel art and fairly decent with code but have no actual motivation
>want to make video games but instead work as an electrician cause money
:^(

>McCree
>Magneto
>Hotline Miami 2 mook
>somewhat original skin
>hotline miami protagonist with block head
>"ninja"

Enginedeving killed the Duke, nevr 4get

I always thought about being an electrician as a trade; is it worth it user? I work in retail, but my whole family is in the IBEW and they tell me all the time to try to get in.

gamedev has been REALLY SLOW for the past couple of weeks, been consumed by the trump train and Cred Forums. plus i stopped working on my main game in order to make a trump fangame. now that's finished though i can get back to it

gif related, main project

main engine and movement is 100% finished (i hope) and now it's a matter of creating content-- i still have to make a lot of graphics for different "worlds" and i've kinda been putting it off for too long

Close.
Space cowboy
Black magneto
Professor x with a mowhawk
Main character
A cop with an ice cube for a head
And the last one is called "carabiner" a super hero that uses carabiners

I suppose I could change the colors on the space cowboy, and remove blackneto. But I don't know why you hate the others

it's fairly easily if you aren't a retard and work for a good company or just self-employ. I like it.

I thankfully grew up with my dad who had taken electrician as a trade and taught me from the ground up. It's nice.

Where do I begin for mobile game development?

A phone probably

looks sweet

also should she have all her arms the same length or two normal arms with two short ones near her chest

Why does Homer love Unity so much?

does this look like a good intro/cutscene?
1/3

Not that guy but if you take a broad definition of polymorphism and consider its different implementations, inheritance hierarchies with virtual functions is the worst. This style imposes too many constraints, making for poorly structured software with ambiguous execution. They are also grossly inefficient on modern hardware.

Alternatives, from least to most efficient:

>function pointers
>switch statement
>sort by behavior then dispatch
>existence-based processing (see below)
dataorienteddesign.com/dodmain/node4.html

There's lots to choose from. Even in cases where virtual functions are reasonable, it's always best to use small interfaces with no state of their own, not an inheritance hierarchy.

2/3

3/3

Hope this is on loop the entire time
youtube.com/watch?v=MtYF_9e2azE

Trace the photos or put them through a sketch filter to give your own unique lookā„¢

Eh, the only engine I consider flat out shit is Unity. Terrible performance, too many games that release on Steam with it are junk. Even AAA devs like Capcom can't use it for anything but junky shit.

I dislike this logic because it's the same as an argument that something should not be used if it can be used poorly. Virtual functions are absolute balls, I agree, but there are other benefits to polymorphism that far outweigh the damage that can be done by idiots who don't know how to code an interface or interface-like-object properly. It, like any other tool, should be learned by programmers, along with a method of determining when it is appropriate for use.

My game runs at full speed in unity on a literal tablet (1gb of ram, integrated graphics, intel atom)

Yeah every action ever written with Time.deltaTime immediately breaks.

If you have any sort of logic or visuals running that shouldn't be paused but needs animated then you're fucked if you set timescale to 0.

I want to get this on a shirt now and wear it to something like GDC

In Unity virtual functions/overrides get replaced with native calls if you seal the class.

college drop out here (basicly a neet because my family still thinks I'm going to college and I live with them) where can I start out making a game.

What is the best way to make (premade engine or proprietary) and what is the least saturated good genre

Have 16 hours of free time a day so...

Good for you, too bad too many Unity games/developers have released nothing but junk to where I flat out refuse to give money to any game that is released on Unity at this point.

go back to college you faggot

Unity has terrible perf from the get-go since it has a lot of performance heavy features enabled on objects by default.

Every UI element you make for instance has Raycast Target enabled by default and all canvases have a raycaster component by default.

For people who don't know this or stuff like physics layer interactions and all the plethora of optimizations there's barely any mention of, you get a slow ass game.

Go with whatever Genre you want.

Engine choice depends on what you want to do. Don't do CryEngine though, AFAIK that still doesn't have documentation.

Unreal is probably the best 3D engine if you're going that way (but it takes WAYYY more work than 2D/learning modeling and rigging and blah blah blah).

Gamemaker is probably best for 2D if you don't mind doing a Hotline Miami or something of that sort.

I will next year when they take me back (never went to class because I would go to bed in the morning and stay up all night

WHY THE ACTUAL FUCKING SHIT CANT YOU DO TOP LEVEL OPENGL SHIT IN UNITY
FUCKING WHY
WHY
WHY THE FUCK DO I NEED TO DO DECALS BY CREATING A FUCKING POLYGON FOR EVERY GODDAMN BULLET HOLE LIKE IM MAKING A WAD FOR A FUCKING DOOM SOURCEPORT
FUCK YOU

>bought gamemaker before humblbundle
>gamemaker oldfag, but lost money

Also, If I were to make an MMO sandbox game, would unity be good?
I know some c# due to Unity, but I'm not sure if that'll help me out when it comes to the MMO part.

I have a pretty shit pc so I'm prob going to stick with 2d, but I don't know about gamemaker.

This reminds me of Metal Walker for some reason.

>shit on Gamemaker
>doesn't shit on Construct 2 aka LITERALLY worse than fucking Scratch

Friendly reminder that all of the following games range from pretty successful to WILDLY successful:
>Hotline Miami 1&2
>Gunpoint
>Spelunky
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Barkley 1&2
>Undertale
>Cook, Serve, Delicious
>Risk of Rain

I'm feeling generous, so here's a list of successful games made in Construct 2:

>

Stuff like glBegin(GL_LINES) and all that shit work just fine

>can Art
>can code some
>no ideas
Help

>Wants to make an MMO
>Doesn't know what to do
You and 5,000 others

At least you got decals to work, I never did

here

A game where you start out as a magical fire that can controls peoples minds. First you have one person then you make them add fuel to the fire. Then the bigger the fire gets the more people you can controll.

HEY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THRE-

Find someone with vision, latch onto their project?

That, or just try building the game mechanics of games you like from scratch. Try to rebuild Metroid or something. Inspiration for making games strikes hardest when you're making games.

REEEEEEE FUCK OF

Well shit. I already got a little fire dude.

whats the demand for music like round here? I have some basic music making tools on my computer and long time music experience. Wiliing to churn out some free melodies for fun

>this thread is for real developers

Lol

Is the logo bad on purpose?

see

I don't know if the fire dude should be able to walk tho

>real developers
>unity
>unreal

Lel

STOP MAKING LE MUSIC FOR FREE

IF YOU MAKE FOR FREE I CANT OVERCHARGE EVERYONE FOR MY STOLEN COPY PASTE SHIT TIER FRUITY LOOPS MUSIC

Has a game ACTUALLY been made in scratch that didn't move at 2fps?

>Can art (at least 3d art)
>many ideas
>UE4 looks interesting to use
>can't code
AAAAAAAAAAA

I CAN DO MORE THAN CONSTRUCT 2, user

This was from a thread about school shooter games and I think this idea needs love.
>A kind of horror action game where you play as a student/teacher who has to hide or sneak out of the section of the school where the guy is. Heavy emphasis on improvised weapons and surprise, since you instantly get shot if you are closer than down a hall or something.

Nah son
Besides you gotta build a portfolio before you charge people for artwork/music

>close but slightly idiotic friend
>obsessed with pokemon
>convinced he's going to make a 3D open world pokemon MMO
>he's a first year comp sci student with almost 0 programming experience
>only class he's taking this semester is java
>he's convinced he'll be able to make it all on his own
>convinced other comp sci students will help him out of their own free will and generosity
>convinced nintendo will purchase it from him and he will be rich and famous
>did I mention he has 0 programming experience?
>i tell him he should work on a small working prototype first
>he proceeds to spend 5 weeks importing pokemon models he found on the internet into unreal engine
>"animates" them by using unreal's built in animations
>he manages to get about 15 done in 5 weeks
>tell him thats great, but he should start making a prototype or fleshing out some actual gameplay soon
>he decides he first has to figure out the pokemon catch rate algorithm
>i give up
>next day he posts a video on facebook
>it's just him walking around the small world with 15 or so pokemon models standing there
>normies don't realise how unimpressive that actually is
>implies that he made the models himself
>gets tons of attention, which i'm sure he loved
>literally 0 gameplay
>a few days later he edits the video to say he didn't make the models, but only after the attention has died down
>decide to see how hard making a game in unreal is
>decide to out autism him and make a sonic the hedgehog endless runner
>shit out the basics in 3 hours
>add some more stuff in 2 more hours
>in about 5-6 hours I have a game (not an exceptional one, but a game nontheless) that could be released to the public
>he still hasn't added any gameplay to his pokemmo

it pains me to see him falling down this path of delusion and sheer idiocy. He used to be really smart and promising. A few years ago I would have been happy to work on a game with him. What a shame

I started a game from scratch that ran well, but it was developed on unity.

What does this even mean?

nintendonormies love giving lazy UE4 projects attention for some reason.

>tfw no motivation to do any sort of game design because I spend all day working at a computer making 3D art for a simulation company

Give it a try, the blueprints are surprisingly powerful without actually having to do any actual coding.

If you put some dedication into it you might be able to make a prototype and get an actual programmer to help you finish it.

Oh hey, you're that guy from the /agdg/ discord who asked about what the HP and should have for the line.
you should have gone with outside lines

Been using RPG Maker XP to make my game. Coding is fucking tough. I take a lot of toher scripts I find and modify them though.

Ok a game that is super pixely god game where you only form terran and the little people automatically do there own thing. Similarly system to godus where they pray to give you power. You got to make sure they get freshwater, food, supplies, and defense from other gods.

First they start out as primitive people on a flat dry dirt plane. Then you got to give them water making mud. They start making mud huts and reproducing. Over time and population (the game works off of time so no tech tree shit). Once you get enough people you can make like plants and shit. The whole game could be presented like a basic version of paint. More people more ink, colors, and brushes.

If anyone is interested I got some more ideas revolving around this game so let me know

Not gonna lie i envy you fab spending 4 years at an art school and the only job I could manage to get was at a packaging company at some Chinese catering company.

Go watch Shirobako. You need a kick in the heart.

>Shirobako
That was such a fucking snooze fest. Dropped 5 episodes in.

Well then how about the one about the lolis working in the video game industry but instead of being a gripping drama with heat that people can relate to its just pedo fanservice?

Yes. Deadline drama is exactly what I love to come home and watch after I spent 30 hours straight no rest trying to fix dozens of models because some jackass decided to prank us all during his 2 week notice.

>pedo
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

This is basically me, except instead of making 3d art I program.

It's so fucking hard to go to work, then come home and do the same thing.

Watch the anime first before telling me I'm wrong.

don't care, I'll figure it out eventually

With your kind of mindset, just stick to mobile games.

ok

This really needs to be on one of those stem meme pictures.

I make good progress right before deadlines but the rest of the time I accomplish about 20 minus of work in the 2 hours a day I "work" on it

>literally phones home to unity behinds the back of any person playing your game and you or the player can't disable it
Cross off unity, too.

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD TUTORIALS FOR LEARNING CRYENGINE?

What is the best 2d engine for making a beat'em up?

Beats of Rage and you can port it to literally anything.

Is there some Scratch plug-in for Unity I'm unaware of?

Yea, but I think you are way over your head

Are there any places I can buy ritalin without a prescription? I heard it can help you concentrate but they won't give it to me unless I've been diagnosed with ADD.

get some street adderall

I got some problems of my own

Memory problems (Can't remember what I did yesterday or the layout of my hometown that I moved out of last year and lived in for 20 years), speech problems (gets words mixed up with others and sometimes can't even talk), and I don't care about much (my life falling apart, can't do basic things like driving, don't care about social relationships, what I eat, what happens around me)

Really the only thing I care about is playing games and wasting time on my computer. Both of my parents had very unusual personalities. My dad gets cluster headaches and my mom (who is 50) acts like a child. I do weird shit all the time like having long drawn out conversations with myself all the time, if I talk on a phone I pace throughout the house, try to line stuff up with my eyes (like the edge of a wall with a table by moving and squinting my eyes), heck I can literally warm up my hands by thinking about it (ive tested it with a thermometer).

Coming along ok I guess
youtube.com/watch?v=kfaP-KcZIcs

inb4 market crash again

well MY portfolio got me a $140k work from home job without going to university with games in it

C isn't OOP, so you have a pretty big hurdle to cross there if you plan on making games.

>I mix up assignment and comparison operators sometimes, it's a pretty common typo.

i don't even have my associate's yet and i don't do this anymore, c'mon buddy

you just need to take the extra step, go where no-one else has gone before

This actually looks pretty good. Would play

What if I'm working on a 3D game with gamemaker

Is it hard to make dungeon crawler? For example this indie game is in develop for over 20 years

>implying Cleve ever intended to finish it
We all know Grimoire is never coming out.

>Premade engine kids go post in /toy/

If you want to make your game alone, don't use Unity or Unreal.

Both require a lot of assets which would cost you over 10 years to make them (or a huge amount of money).

Even huge companies with hundreds of workers need 3 and more years to make their games.

If you want to make a game where 1000 people worked a year on, and you would say that you only want 1/100 of the quality, you would need over 10 years to make a game with only 1/100 of the quality (synergy effects not included). And you also have to add your lost free time to do something else. It isn't worth it.

If you want to be the next Minecraft maker, keep in mind that he had a huge support by Youtuber marketing, luck and a building simulator with had no real substitute.

What are some of the best tutorials for learning code for any of these systems?

I bought GMS with the bundle and I've been going through GML to learn the basics, but i never feel as though I'm being taught what the code actually equates to in terms of real action.
I'm also interested in making a Metroidvania in similar vein to Order of Eclessia, with a bigger focus on exploration, though I still want to use traditional single-frame style cut-scenes.

I know I have to work my way up, but even then, most tutorials seem to assume that I've done any sort of coding before and that I'll just happen to "get it".

Shaun Spaulding, Tom Francis, and Heartbeast are the three sources I use for GML. I'm utter shite at programming so I can't really tell you when it just clicks since I'm not there either, but breaking down concepts to their most basic foundations and looking at the code as literally as possible helps me visualize ideas more.

Use simple polygons for everything.

The title is just a place holder and Super Columbine RPG did influence a chunk of TJ Lane RPG. I think making a game about a school shooting is a moot point. Games like SCM and V-tech Rampage have already done it. TJ Lane RPG will not be that type of game.

Looks awesome bro.

>MMO
Already a failure

I like it.

Looks pretty original, fun.
Nice.

Trying to re-create classic SNES-ish pre rendered graphics.
>Crystals and acorns in webm.
Ripped DKC graphics were chosen as a reference and will be replaced.
Not too sure about the VCR filter yet, maybe I'll leave it in as an option.
Want to make a whole classic RARE-ish platformer game with this.

Why the fuck isn't Xenko more popular?

It has a similar development environment to Unity, but it's completely free and constantly updated. It has next to no licensing restrictions. You can make whatever you want with it and distribute it how you like, all for free.

> one man project
> also wasting time on own engine

Just no.
Writing a basic 3D engine takes skill, time, and effort. That could go into assets, art, etc.
Just no.

Fucking Unity man.

I used Source and UE, played around with Crytek.
Then I saw how many new titles use Unity, went to check it out.

Fucking lol.
And people use it.
WHY?!

It's just overly complicated, and in the end you can't do shit with it.

Don't take the bait, even Square Enix for example is using unity.

why not "Prisma"?
latest hip & cool app.

I think Unity is popular because it has assets for sale. Same for UE/Crytek.

Most people just start development, realize they can't even create a fucking 3D box, and they start buying assets.

What engine?

What?
Which title?

I know people use it, I just don't get why.
It's too complex for anything simple, and too simple for anything proper.
Like jacking off with a cheese grater.

google.de/?gws_rd=ssl#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=square enix unity games

So literally small "mobile" games that are supposed to run on all platforms. Maybe it works the best for all platforms? I don't know.

UE is supposed to have support to all major platforms too, but maybe it's not as good, I only built for Windows/Android targets.

I mean, SE games are on WP, Universal App, Android, iOS...

It's my 489th day of no game because no art.

You can get some artists to mock up or get involved but generally you want an artless representation of your game first

nonetheless with very good quality.
youtube.com/watch?v=UaAtu_8RHKs

oh, thread is still up.

thanks anons, I'm almost finishing it. there's only a couple dungeons and the 3 endings left.

Don't lose heart bro! Start with something simple and build off that. Or force a homeless man at gun point to draw you up some inspiration!

Well, with a few million dollars topped with a few thousand employee I bet they could make a good looking game in Game Maker, or Scratch, or anything.

I just said Unity is complex for small projects / one-man projects. And for bigger ones, well I guess they evaluated the pros and cons, and most likely Unity can deliver easily to all major platforms.

Probably you don't need too much testing?
Graphics rook same on all targets?
Maybe UE doesn't really support Windows Store?

Pay someone from Deviantart?
Buy assets?
Heck I am preeeetty sure plenty of indie games (especially these russian ones), use pirated AND modified assets.

But, you can also find free ones online.
We had to do some car game for class, and I just Google'd for car models and shit, and there it was.

>and the 3 endings left
Don't forget to color them, son.
Bioware will be so proud.

When you can program it will be easy to make art after code will be made

How do you know if your code is going to bog your game down too much or not? Are there any newbie mistakes I should watch out for?

>tfw you've got friends who are great artists and are learning how to animate

Feels good

Right, because Unitards are real devs now?

Fuck you :(

You're just lazy opengameart.org/latest
Or if you want to do it yourself :
opengameart.org/content/les-forges-pixel-art-course
And if you don't want to do pixel shit
alexhays.com/loomis/

Here's for you.

And that's for you : READ THE ENTIRE POST

Here you have 3 options : use pre-existing free ressources, do your own pixel shit or do your own draw shit.
So yes, everyone can pick an option

Serious question

How to start making game?

by being a little more self-sufficient
google.de/search?q=How to start making game?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=J2DiV5fWI-2A8Qehhp6oCw

I have always been put off by using one of these more complex game engines. Having to learn how to use it properly and how difficult it can be to get something exactly the way you want it. The lack of documentation if you don't want to do something very basic.... it can be a lot less frustrating to code it yourself.

I just want to do a 2D game, so I've picked up MonoGame, but it seems you can code using C# for Xenko too. It looks interesting though.

If you need help starting to think about a game, try playing some tabletop games. Really. If you think about your game as a digital tabletop game, you'll find many ideas easily.

There are shit loads of bugs and it isn't battle tested.

>shit loads of bugs
Source besides your butthole?

youtube.com/watch?v=hmPrUuQQz8M

github.com/SiliconStudio/xenko/issues

I don't really understand why you are so retarded.

He's probably trying hard to shill his own favourite engine.

Implying unity is a good engine. lmao

Tabletop games are garbage since video games can do better in a lot of ways. So, shit advice.

>implying it's not

>shilling a free engine
Yeah, no.

>oh no there are open issues
You mean like every project ever? Also, that video is ancient.

I've been messing around with it and it's a pretty cool package. It also just got updated (again) to 1.8, so it's being actively maintained. All in all it seems pretty damned good for F R E E and no licensing costs if you don't modify it.

Unity owns you if you use it. Fuck that.

Doing the business side now. Making a financial plan and getting an office. Exciting stuff.

The core of a videogame is its game mechanics. Game mechanics are not that different from the set of rules many tabletop games or even card games offer you plus all viable stategies the player can use by following the previous rules.
Many people that want to start making games find themselves stuck in a limbo where they either don't know how to make the game play or they will simply copypaste the game mechanics of existing games, which is frankly sad.
Playing tabletop games and understanding how game mechanics work allows to create very good and interesting tabletop, card and also video games.
You are right, videogames can do better many things and that's exactly the advantage of creating a videogame. But the basics of every videogame (gameplay and game mechanics) are the same across all types games.

This. One of the better books even teaches video game design by letting you make tabletop games first.

If I'll use ue4 my game won't work on toasters by default or it's a matter of optimisation?

If you buy stuff from the asset store then youre using unity wrong

If you sell stuff on the asset store, then you're using Unity right. ;)

If you want to get rich during a gold rush, go into the pick and shovel business.

I'm writing a VN, Ace Attorney style. I have about 50 pages of dialoge trees written so now I want to start making the game itself.

Was thinking about picking up Unity, I want to have 3D "Investigation" parts and 99.9% of VN Engines have ugly text boxes and fonts. Any advice?

Have a little player sprite now, working on a main menu now. Need to keep working on the level generation.

Using anything but Ren'py for VN is crazy. Then again, I don't think Ren'py allows you to use 3D enviroments, unless you are some kind of Phyton coding genius.

Unity is good for 3d. Sounds like a pretty simple task. Only problem will be figuring out how to make dialogues properly, but you can make them half-assed way and it'll be fine as long as it work.

qt

When I look at the far right of this abomination I get the sense that the whole image is moving to the left, anyone else find that?

Did he died

You can always use font you want (if it not proprietary) and you can even replace all the fucking graphics and menus with RenPy, 3d investigations look interesting, but you can do it in 2d.

>on Cred Forums daily

Faggot.

Yes.

>install newer Unity version
>sprite alpha doesn't work properly anymore
I should have seen that one coming.

I spent time doing this animation instead of actually fixing the fact that I still can't get power ups to work

>Sfera
Italian dev?

did you install the beta or something?

>Using C++
>Using C#
>Using Java

You can probably remove the grey circle around the powerup and leave the shine

y-yes...

5.4.1f1
the sprite shader is custom to work with palette swaps.and the animator is custom too, to allow composed sprites (here the hat and weapon sprites can be changed, and use anchor points I fix with an external tool of mine (picture related but slightly outdated version)

A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$ A$$

Shitty I know, but nobody gets worse with practice

What is the learning curve like on Unity Engine?

haha time to upgrade and see what breaks for me

Keep it up bro. We really need more italian indie devs to make this shitty country shine. Bello lo stile. Non arrenderti.

it might just be the projector I use for the shadow that shits the bed. since the sprite alpha seems to works with sprites and with the 3D environment

You need to go thiccer.

gli sprite li ha fatti una mia amica, sta diventando sempre piĆ¹ brava

does anyone know what kind of engine they used for the megaman zero/zx games

An MMO is way too hard for you right now. Start by building small games first, and build from what you've learnt.

Beato te che hai trovato qualcuno che ti aiuta, io sono solo come un cane

Square Enix uses Unity for shitty mobile side-projects. They use proprietary engines for AAA titles.

not one that you can get your hands on

Poor naive user. Those "shitty" mobile "side"-projects are what really print money for SE. They care about them more than their AAA titles (which are only Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and some eidos titles). They even changed the composer in Bravely Second because the Bravely Default one was working on a mobile title. This alone makes you see the priorities of the company.

Were the modules worth getting for GM? I didn't want to pay 15$ for that shit

do you want to port your game to iOS/Android etc.?

if the answer is yes you probably should've bought those modules for 15$ instead of 300$

I know a guy who works for them and he would laugh in your tiny little face for spewing that bullshit.

Nobody in the industry respects Unity. Sure they use it for shitty experimental side projects, but only when they don't give a damn.

Game Maker

youtube.com/watch?v=MNZG4YO8ugo

Mobile is were the money is at. So yeah, you kinda missed out. Even with a low effort game you can make a solid buck.
Personally, I don't like being limited, so I bought all modules.

Lol still uses adobe air for shit sake.

I know more than a guy that work in the industry and they find amusing the mental gymnastic people does to justify how an engine is bad.
As usual, it boils down to lazy asses that don't want to study how an engine works and people that manage to make amazing things no matter the software you give them.

>mfw these threads turned from posting OC and giving advice to new people to enginewars and general shitposting
where are the games?

for a solo dev, doing 10$ Steam games is the best. If Wu could sell 1000 copies od rev60, there's no reason you can't do the same and bank an easy 7000$ every 4-5 months.

The only way to win the engine war is to write your own engine from scratch 2bh famalam

and then never make a game, right?

again, where are the games?

You only write an engine if you can milk it for several years and a dozen games afterwards, which never happen to indie games. Engines are a huge overhead in cost and time after all so if you just want to make a small game it's wasted.

>>Time.timeScale = 0
Absolutely triggered

>create a global variable and reference it in every single piece of time-dependent logic
AKA what real games do

It's as simple as putting
if (paused) return;
as the first line in an update function. No need for messy layers of brackets or anything