Fantasy or Sci Fi?

Cred Forums, I work at a game studio(can't name who) and there's been some issues with an upcoming project in the pipeline. It's supposed to be a full 3d pvp arena style game with indepth melee and ranged combat. But there's a huge problem. The theme and setting.

Half of the team wants it to be a fantasy setting, the other half wants it to be sci fi. I'm gonna be the tiebreaker vote, which is a lot of pressure. And I was weighing my options, and thinking it should be sci fi. The problem is fantasy just isn't as interesting, it's cliche as fuck. If the game is sci fi, it can have badass guns, people wearing cool looking hardsuits and shit with wires and leds and neon lights, and the arenas can be dark cities at night, and space stations and factories, you know cool shit. Fantasy, it would just end up being like every other fantasy thing, you know, warriors with huge pauldrons and giant swords, slutty mage girls waving their arms a lot, smelly guys in loinclothes or breeches, and people fighting in forests and castles. It's just boring as fuck.

Honestly, can anyone convince me why fantasy would even be a good idea, when sci fi is clearly better and allows for way more freedom in a pvp game? Who the fuck would want to use a bow and arrow when you could have sci fi and use fucking LASER GUNS. Come on now.

Look at For Honor, that game's look and combat is pretty much what a fantasy pvp game would be like, and the shit is boring and looks boring.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vqAJXNqtrco
youtube.com/watch?v=vwaOO-xNYnc
youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pfa-Pa5IQLg
youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA
youtube.com/watch?v=7eeYFyRx-f4
youtu.be/tmFa6nIhbjk?t=108
youtube.com/watch?v=3y87bEqMUsw
youtube.com/watch?v=THc39rT461E
youtube.com/watch?v=gvjWDlVVJ44
youtube.com/watch?v=PRPrJnuxqEY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

choose sci fi bro, fantasy is played out, we already have plenty of fantasy pvp games anyway, like world of warcraft and guild wars 2

Sci Fi sounds alot more interesting

don't forget dark souls and bloodborne, the genre is oversaturated

>Cred Forums, I work at a game studio
Sure you do.

scifi. fantasy is always great too but its more over done.

exactly, you get guns and bombs and lightsabers and shit

fantasy weapons are boring, it's either swords, magic swords, and axes. also characters in sci fi are more varied, fantasy all you're gonna get are elves, generic white medieval humans, orcs, dwarves, and some weirdo race like demons or bad elves or goat people or some shit no one wants to play.

it depends on the fantasy and it depends on the sci fi. i like Elder Scrolls fantasy but i only like space sci fi

For Honor isn't a fantasy setting.

I'd also say go with SciFi.

Your arguments are valid.
No one wants to play generic mage gurl #2387823 and generic tank warrior #328928.
Personal taste agrees, too.

You can do sci fi as generic and as uninteresting as you can do with fantasy, it's a matter of execution. Though there are already enough futuristic shooters out there and I think that the inlcusion of melee weapons would be less hamfisted in fantasy as in sci fi.

Dude, the problem is fantasy is too tropey and mostly the same shit. Like what would you even have for characters? Sci fi you can get cool shit, like cyber ninjas, space marines, alien dudes, robots, cyborgs, mutants, gang bangers and punks. Fantasy it's gonna be a bunch of humans in brown pants and armor swinging bigass swords yelling corny shit like "For the King!", and people in robes casting fireballs. It's boring as hell man. You ever try playing Skyrim? Shit is so goddamn boring. Nothing but trees and rivers and wood cabins and shit.

No dude, even the most generic sci fi is still more interesting to look at than fantasy. Guns>>>>>bows and arrows, cyber ninjas>>>>>>>dorky looking guy with a hood and knives assassin

like even the new CoD looks more interesting than shit like the witcher 3 or skyrim

>inlcusion of melee weapons would be less hamfisted in fantasy as in sci fi.

warhammer 40k is sci fi and the melee weapons in that are so much cooler than fantasy shit

The question isn't which theme, but what are you going to introduce that's NEW to that theme. The words laser guns and hardsuits don't do anything for me. Where are you going to take the theme that will be surprising?

Someone is going to suggest a hybrid, like destiny and overwatch and a thousand other sci fi/fantasy games. Space marine with laser hammer, ok. You already said lightsabers... so you've already fallen for it. Boring. What will you do differently with the theme?

Overwatch is fucking garbage.

>Guns
Nobody is saying fantasy can't have guns. Warhammer fantasy rip is doing pretty well with guns.

>cyber ninjas
Edgy shit.

>like even the new CoD looks more interesting than shit like the witcher 3
Shit opinion.

>or skyrim
Well, Skyrim is shit.

Warhammer 40k is also really over the top stupid and I don't know if OP wants to do this. It has also a lot of fantasy elements.

There's way more you can do with sci fi than fantasy. Fantasy is way too limited, there's only so much you can do with medieval looking shit, the same trope races, and forests and castles.

Guns in fantasy are stupid, especially when you have people using bows and arrows in the same setting. Warhammer fantasy is retarded because you have people using guns, then you have elves still shooting arrows like a bunch of dumbasses.

Also fantasy guns suck, they always look like old day crappy rifles and shotguns. Sci Fi has cool looking badass guns with lights and neon shit and stuff.

>cyber ninjas
>edgy shit
>implying a generic fantasy "rogue" wearing a hood all the time and holding a dagger isn't edgy shit

>slutty mage girls
first of all there is nothing wrong with that you giant cuck

on another note.
why not go both ways. go down the Mortal Kombat road in which warriors from all kind of different worlds fight each other.
that way you are mostly free to do what ever you want.
also fantasy doesn´t have to be boring it might seem that way since nowadays all fantasy games are just lord of the rings rip offs with dwarfs, elves and orks but that doesn´t have to be the case. Just take a look at the Xeno Clash for example which got most of in´s inspiration from the Dark Crystal instead of LotR
you can do lot´s of cool stuff with fantasy as long as you are willing to be creative and do something new.
Just make up new races and new weird looking worlds
get some inspiration from heavy metal covers and 70 sci-fi books, which actually have way more in common with fantasy than modern scifi.

I would actually love to get a new game similar to Xeno Clash or Mortal Kombat. it´s savage, almost stone age approach to fantasy was pretty cool

and most importantly don´t be a sjw
don´t be afraid of adding sex and violence to the mix

>Guns in fantasy are stupid
I actually love that kind of technology and culture clash
it makes it all more realistic since your history is also full of nations with different technology and cultures fighting each other

>Warhammer fantasy is retarded because you have people using guns, then you have elves still shooting arrows like a bunch of dumbasses
user, humans have been using guns and bows simultaneously on this planet for a long time. I would also say that in an arena-situation using a bow could be far superior than one of those more primitive guns. Also, it's fantasy, you can give various reasons for elves or whatever using different weapons by using your imagination. It doesn't even have to have those races if they trigger you so much.

>Also fantasy guns suck, they always look like old day crappy rifles and shotguns
Fuck you, I like this aesthetic.

>valuing Cred Forumss opinion

I'll take things that never happened for 500

Slutty mage girls is a tired trope though.

Also people from different worlds fighting is silly, look what happens in most fantasy settings. You get humans or dwarves with guns, and meanwhile elves are using bows and arrows. It's stupid.

>Combine mechs with melee combat
>Imagine the very fast paced combat of Armored Core
>Mechs flying through the air at breakneck pace having sword-fights

holy shit

both

>user, humans have been using guns and bows simultaneously on this planet for a long time.

Yeah, and we saw how those battles turned out.
Native Americans - 0
The White Man - 1

>upcoming project
>badass
>cool
>problematic lolicons
We dont need battleborn 2

See? Now THAT is awesome. Meanwhile in fantasy:

youtube.com/watch?v=vqAJXNqtrco

Look how boring that shit is.

Natives fuck the settlers up when they fought. Diseases killed them.

Guns>>>>>>>>>>>Bows. Come on, it's common sense. The time it takes you to load one arrow and fire, a guy with a gun will have already shot you shitloads of times from far far far away. Also you can just shove a cartridge of ammo in your gun, whereas bows you gotta hunt down and recover all the arrows you fired.

Why not both?

If fantasy is so great, then how come the best mmo is sci fi(EVE) and all the shit mmos are fantasy?

The fantasy elements are the worst parts of star wars though. Those goofy looking peasant clothes. 40k shits all over star wars, and it isn't full of fantasy bullshit either.

>For Honor, that game's look and combat is pretty much what a fantasy pvp game would be like, and the shit is boring and looks boring.

>Being this wrong

>comparing low fantasy to soft sci-fi

Common now, you can do literally the exact same shit in sci-fi and fantasy when you let both of them off the rails. Want mechs? Add in trolls, giants, ents, and other large fantastical beasts. Or if you're feeling not uncreative as fuck, invent your own fantastical high speed creatures and suddenly you have zany mechafights like in .

If you're going to compare the two, then try to compare the two on equal power settings
>low fantasy/hard sci-fi
>little magic/fe

>high fantasy/soft sci-fi
>fucking dragons, wizards'n;shit/FTL, giant robots, telepaths and jedi (space monk-wizards)

You just described the lowest possible level of fantasy setting.
Except you can also have unusual races, weird magical weapons, settings like giant mushroom colonies or magical floating cities. Basically the only limit is your concept artist imagination. You can have magical power suits, big magical cannons, all that sort of stuff you could also find in sci-fi, but magic-powered instead of tech-powered. If the things you described are your companies best take on fantasy yeah, what you will make will be insipid and boring so you should avoid it.
Sci-fi is a lot more constrictive. how many guns can you come up with that haven't already been done before? You really think space stations isn't equally as boring as run-of-the-mill medieval castles?
If stereotypes are all you can come up with then yeah sci-fi is probably better

>a guy with a gun will have already shot you shitloads of times
I see, I'm getting trolled right now. Have a nice thread.

How is it wrong? For Honor is cliche fantasy, it's a bunch of medieval knight guys in armor with big swords yelling shit and running at each other. And the combat is immensely boring, in sci fi you can have cool shit like cyberninjas running on walls and guns and stuff.

>sci-fi arena setting
>guns or projectiles that can't be dodged

F L O P

>western dev
>3d action game
Your game is going to be shit, regardless.

Maybe instead of wasting time and resources arguing abouut superficial shit, you should prioritize creating the "in-depth" melee and ranged combat system. Then you can build the game's aesthetic around it. Form follows function, not the other way around.

>comparing modern guns which were unavailable to early settlers
>40k shits all over star wars, and it isn't full of fantasy bullshit either.
AH HA HA HA

Okay I know from the OP you just want to start one of those stupid "steampunk vs cyberpunk" arguments (that imply that somehow the two are fighting each other, or that there CAN ONLY BE ONE), but at least try to not be this retarded, it's getting too obvious.

Just make it Da Vinci steampunk like Rise of Legends.

>Slutty mage girls is a tired trope though.
Lara Croft which used to be a sex symbol is now just another boring "man with boobs and bow"
if anything none sexualised female characters are overdone
and judging by the success of games like Overwatch and Paladins and the failure of Battleborn games with sexy female characters sell like hot cakes

You people need to watch more anime.
youtube.com/watch?v=vwaOO-xNYnc

Alright fagbaby, I get that you don't have a creative thought in your head and you can't even fathom a fantasy setting that uses original ideas, but all of the shit you're listing for sci-fi is just as trite and basic and the things you're making fun of.

Why not both?

youtube.com/watch?v=d84r8gMGxFQ

Lmk when your bow and arrow can do that. Try and imagine how many elven archers you'd need to even match that. I don't even think that fight scene in the final Hobbit movie had enough elves to match that kind of fire.

>>fucking dragons, wizards'n;shit/FTL, giant robots, telepaths and jedi (space monk-wizards)

That stuff sounds nice, until you realize shit in sci fi settings would destroy that stuff. A tactical nuke would ruin an entire elven battalion, a laser cannon would punch a hole straight through any dragon, and I'd like to see a high level wizard deflect a black hole weapon.

Yeah bro, gods and daemons are the first thing that pop into my head when I think of hard sci-fi.

Fucking idiot.

Try being more subtle.

Sci-fi Dwarves and Techno-Elves, user.

The game has an active dodging system, duh. It's not some japanese game with auto targetting and invincibility frames in half the moves.

The demons and gods in 40k are based on scientific concepts, they're eldritch beings from other planes of existence, so we can't understand them or what they do, so it seems like magic to us.

How do you dodge bullets though?

Guns are objectively garbage for arena based games

>Sci-fi Dwarves and Techno-Elves, user.

Sounds gay. Space marines and cyborgs>>>>>>>>>>>short drunken scotsman with mountainman beards and tall sissy elf boys.

Using the dodge mechanic? It works in unreal tournament, which is an arena based game. This is a game that is gonna require skill to do well in, it isn't some japanese game where you just abuse invincibility frames to avoid all damage. You get hit, you get fucking HIT.

I think the guy that argues heavily for generic bald space marines is just OP trolling the shit out of everybody. There is nothing to gain here.

Sci Fi, I like traveling in space and fighting aliens on cool different worlds, along with using cool futuristic weapons.

>OP trolling the shit out of everybody

>he thinks an elf using a bow can beat this in a fight

>both replies have some mention of Japanese games

?????

You're seriously being too obvious with the fact you are either fucking with us or entirely incapable of creative thought and have no idea how to make proper comparisons

>using modern firearms instead of early firearms in a comparison of the overlap of guns and bows, which spanned from around 1200-1850
>acting like wizards can't cast nuke, time travel, and do other reality bending shit when you go really high fantasy

The problem with fantasy is no one is properly developing magic for their universe. In Sci-fi the science is based on real science.

I wish for a game with proper magic "physics" that give proper explanation to magical effects and not just "muh magic". Based on these magic "physics" you can create spell and use spells that interact with the world by said rule. What I want to say is give me a game where i can be a proper wizard. Let me do magic research and solve magic puzzles. Casting a complicated spell isn't just press a button and channel.

Techno-Elves nigga

I didn't say they had to be bald. When I said space marine I meant in the most generic sense, as a human soldier with futuristic weaponry. They could be like the marines in Alien for all I care. I'm just saying they're a lot cooler than shit like elves and guys in knight armor. Also cyber ninjas are way cooler than fantasy style assassins. Fantasy assassins are always edge;lord guys in hooded robes like that coldsteele the hedgehog shit.

How did my shitty anime reaction image plant the idea that I was arguing anything like that you fucking basket case?

>I wish for a game with proper magic "physics" that give proper explanation to magical effects and not just "muh magic".

Witcher series had that, it still ended up being hocus pocus shit, because that's the nature of magic. If magic were realistic it would suck in games, it would just be some character in their basement slitting the throat of a chicken while listening to metal music and praising satan as nothing happens.

Eldar are techno elves and they suck, that's why their whole race is almost dead. Dark Eldar are just the edgelord versions so they suck too.

This. If your only vision of fantasy is pauldrons and castles, I would actually be kind of sad for you.

Eldar made Necrons going to sleep, tough. They just awakened because Eldar are in their weakest state.

You do realize even the modern day US marines could wreck that place in your picture, right? What are those guys gonna do against tanks, fighter jets, nukes, grenades, and white phosphorous?

Will the player have the ability to customize his charachter? Because in this case, i'd suggest you a sci-fi setting.

Why the hell are you so obsessed with your "who would win" bullshit when it has jack shit to do with anything, are you autistic?

I'm not saying it has to be realistic. It just has to go by some rules. Witcher was a monster slaying adventure game. There was not interaction with magic where said rules mattered.
I'm talking about a game where the magic system is like a sand-box. Of course I'm not talking about minecraft with magic. More like some weird wizard RPG where you become arch-mage or some shit like that.

It may sound hard to believe, but being more powerful does not actually make for a more compelling setting.

Because we want the players to feel powerful when fighting, and sci fi gives off much more feedback in feeling powerful than fantasy can. Shooting laser guns and bombs is more enjoyable than bows and arrows.

Yes, which is another reason sci fi would be better, you can't customize much with fantasy. You're either gonna end up with everything looking bland and boring like skyrim or the witcher 3, or you're gonna get stupid looking shit like these mmos with people wearing absurd looking outfits. Sci fi outfits look way cooler and more badass.

male fantasy

He likes 40k, it's the inherent nature of 40k fans to believe that the more powerful thing is always better.

More seriously, it's the best way to troll people because it requires minimal thought and usually makes people mad.

Works for japanese games. All the good games let you play as near godlike characters, the crappy ones like the souls games force you to play as boring generic fantasy guys in armor.

>doesn't understand 40k

Fantasy is so overdone. I can't even get into fantasy games because I'm tired of the aesthetic.

Sci fi all the way

Sci-fi is horribly overdone in videogames, the sole reason DA:I and W3 won GOTY awards is because they were fantasy titles in a sci-fi saturated market.

To be honest, as someone on the team, I really want to make one of the playable characters as close to a Necron as possible without copyright infringement, and I can't do that in a fantasy setting. Necrons are fucking boss. Gauss powered rifles shit all over bows and arrows and magic shit.

Ruinous gods and demons are not hard sci-fi.

You are an incredibly boring person, and I hope that whatever company you works for recognizes and allows absolutely no creative control to you.

I honestly enjoy the idea of a magic puzzle game where you work with some weird variables to produce results in a physical world. The trick would be making odd magic variables that you could properly understand and manipulate to create results, and not just randomly cobbling shit together because there's literally no way of figuring out what the fuck these variables even do.

>Sci-fi is horribly overdone in videogames

Then explain why almost all mmos are fantasy and why almost all rpgs are too. I don't even get how people can enjoy shit like WoW, who the hell wants to play as some overly buff idiot with a sword when they can play some badass guy with a crazy looking gun that shoots lasers and bombs and acid and shit?

Just make it Magi-tech.

How am I boring? Have you seen fantasy settings? It's the same damn shit,, white medievel humans with swords, drunk dwarves, sissy elves, orcs, and demons and shit, all wearing boring ass clothes and shit and fighting in forests and castles. Sci Fi you get so much variety, the only limit is your imagination.

youtube.com/watch?v=pfa-Pa5IQLg

Sci Fi just shit all over fantasy.

>Have you seen fantasy settings?
Yes.

>the only limit is your imagination.
You fucking retard, this applies to all fiction. The only reason you have such a shitty outlook on fantasy is because you're an unimaginative dullard.

Awesome bait thread, this many yous.

Why are you even asking random people's opinion on this since you clearly are absolutely convinced that fantasy CANT POSSIBLY BE GOOD and scifi is the COOLEST AND BADASSEST EVER?
Or better yet, how about you make something fucking original instead of those boring shitfests. If your team is making that generic game you are describing, no way you guys will make your scifi game unique and cool either.

Why don't you go over to /tg/ and see if they agree. Oh wait, anyone who isn't a complete retard or troll knows that 40k is the softest sci-fi known to man (while simultaneously being the most metal, fun how that works), so claiming that 40k is less fantasy than Star Wars is absurdly laughable.

>I really want to make one of the playable characters as close to a Necron as possible without copyright infringement,

If you are not trolling and actually work on a design team, I hope is right and they don't let you do shit, because you are the least creative person on the team, bar none, just for this comment.

>and I can't do that in a fantasy setting

Skeletons transmuted to adamantium, carrying flamethrowers of magical greek fire. Wow that took me 15 seconds.

I thought maybe just maybe people could convince me somehow fantasy could be as cool, but I was wrong. DEAD WRONG.

>Skeletons transmuted to adamantium, carrying flamethrowers of magical greek fire. Wow that took me 15 seconds.

That sounds lame and not half as badass as Necrons. Not sure why you're knocking my idea anyway, one of the people in support of fantasy on the team wanted to do a character that's basically a "demonic jester from a hellish dimension that kills for fun". That ain't exactly so creative. That's just fucking shaco from league of legends, man.

Look for better fantasy.

Or fuck, just hang out on /tg/ for a while.

lol

>Or fuck, just hang out on /tg/ for a while
/tg/ here, please no.

This is some art they referenced for their idea, look how lame that shit looks. I'd rather play a Necron, or some badass cyber ninja or future soldier, how about you?

>Look at For Honor, that game's look and combat is pretty much what a fantasy pvp game would be like, and the shit is boring and looks boring.
t. Haven't played For Honor.

People don't take chances. You can have Elves in a race war against humans because the humans breed so much and are expanding into their territory. Dwarves can be violent recluses attacking anyone who enters mountainous territory and halflings can be cannibal maniacs nobody wants to fuck with. Fantasy doesn't have to mean hippy-dippy everyone gets along except good-natured teasing other races bullshit.

OP, your shit bait thread has actually given me lots of new and fresh ideas for my next fantasy settings, so thanks for that.

I don't need to, it fucking blows. Have you seen the gameplay? It's slow as shit, and boring, All you do is hit a button to try and stab or hack at someone very slowly, as some prompt tells you when the enemy is about to attack, block/parry, then try to hit them. There's no jumping, no real indepth mechanics. Just hit buttons til they die. There's not even any real combos.

Okay, I know reapply to your entire team. Clearly you guys need to find someone actually creative to be in charge of you all.

Also Necrons are literally the undead, but metal and in the future. They are literally Warhammer Fantasy Tomb Kings but in space. They even have fucking pyramids and some of them wear silly headdresses.

Also the next time you make this thread, don't use the "our design team is split on setting" scenario, because it's been used so many times already, and either there's a bunch of teams out there who are always evenly divided on setting, there's a team that's literally been arguing about this for years, or you need to stop making this thread over and over and find some other way to start fights between genres.

That medieval combat not fantasy. Just because fantasy has been infected by Tolkien doesn't mean its defining.

I legitimately cannot imagine fantasy without Tolkien. Can you provide some examples?

Medieval combat IS fantasy combat. Fantasy combat uses the same weapons, just put magic on some of the swords and shit, there ya go. OMG now this sword sets stuff on fire, wow so amazing!

Meanwhile in sci fi you can have special grenades filled with canisters that spray enzymes that can eat through armor and flesh and reduce someone to a puddle on the floor.

Actually Warhammer 40k is Space fantasy, it's not Sci-fi, if you want hard sci-fi go read Isaac Asimov or Anthony Clarke

>Meanwhile in sci fi you can have special grenades filled with canisters that spray enzymes that can eat through armor and flesh and reduce someone to a puddle on the floor.
a potion could have the same effect

That's such a moronic statement. Tolkien did not make fantasy combat be all crazy and acrobatic and shit. No faggot, fantasy was not infected by Tolkien, fantasy was infected by shit like Warcraft, And Zelda with its 'muh courage,muh power,muh wisdom' bullshit.
Tolkien was very grounded and you would know this if you actually knew his work.

Hyperborea.

Touhou

Seriously though, if you can get outside of the standard western Europe based setting (the ones that always have elves, orcs, and dwarves) you'll find something.

In terms of video games, top of my head is Jade Empire (from before modern Bioware), Rise of Legends (fucking da Vinci machines, glass dragons, genies, and SPACE AZTECS) and you have Nioh coming out soon.

>Tolkien was very grounded and you would know this if you actually knew his work.

Yah this sure is grounded!

youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA

Btw even with them using cg to speed them up, these elves would have gotten absolutely destroyed by a single Necron fighter.

>hobbit movie
way to out yourself as a complete fucking retard

> it either has to be a shitty cliche sci fi setting or shitty cliche fantasy setting
> those are the only options
> both unoriginal as fuck and overdone

What is it with game devs having 0 imagination whatsoever. Its literally the reason why 99% of todays games look the fucking same.

Why not actually make a original setting?

What is the 18. century? What are prehistoric times? Who is Francisco Pizarro? What is the late 19. century (outside the Americas). What is a realistic non-retarded take on mankinds near future? What is the russian civil war? What are cold war spies? What is combining the above with fantasy elements? Why does no one bother to expand fantasy elements beyond shitty orcs and elves?

> no lets spend time arguing which of the two overdone shits we gonna pick

>japanese fantasy
>replacing elves with fox people and guys using muh sword folded 1 billion times and forged in the fires of jigoku
>meanwhile Tetsuo Shima and the Eva units would have already wrecked their shit

even japanese sci fi destroys fantasy

>Have you seen the gameplay?
Have you PLAYED the game retard? Almost everything you wrote in that post is literally wrong.

There's light attacks, heavy attacks (which speed and damage depends on each class), blocking, parrying (yes, there's a difference), counter-attacks, combos, combobreakers, dodging, unblockable attacks that only work with certain combos, guardbreakes, throws, etc, etc. Every class has unique mechanics and variations on all these things with several unique combos and attacks. All of this on top the core directional guard system which already is rather tactical and not even mentioning, mechanics of fighting multiple opponents, map strategy, environmental hazards, feats, etc.

This game is extremely deep and YouTube videos do the game no justice.

First off 40k is original sci fi and fucking awesome

second we already had shit similar to what you mentioned, hence all the dumbass shit with nazis using magic or having alien technology. Fuck that shit.

>listing combobreakers as a good thing

Combobreakers are a scrub mechanic. Play any fighting game and you'd know that. If you get hit, you get HIT, you shouldn't be able to pussy out and get an Undo button. This is fighting, not photoshop.

The D&D setting Dark Sun comes to mind. It always seemed like an effort to be as unconventional as possible. It has a tribal aesthetic, a post-apocolyptic setting, and psychic powers replace magic for the most part.

Really any "heavy metal" type fantasy feels very untolkienesque in my opinion.

>nazis using magic or having alien technology

> I literally didnt even mention nazis, magic or aliens

40k is overdone and too unrealistic for my taste, but it is indeed a fine example of a original setting I give you that

Fuck off I was trying to help a guy who couldn't wrap his head around the idea of non-Tolkien based fantasy. And if that guy was you then double dumbass on you because I thought I was being helpful for a guy who wasn't creating a bait topic.

Also Touhou has literal gods and shit. I'm pretty sure the power levels far exceed anything in science fiction, and even if you use the cop-out answer of "I refuse to believe [in gods], and that makes them powerless!" response Touhou literally takes place in a pocket dimension of shit people don't believe.

This. Same goes for Star Wars - space fantasy.

40k is the most heavy metal setting of all though, and it's sci fi.

youtube.com/watch?v=7eeYFyRx-f4

Nigger I wasn't talking to you

Nah, that faggot wasn't me (one who asked for examples). Thanks for the advice, user. I'll definitely check out Jade Empire.

Granted, I don't play fighting games so I wouldn't know anything about that. Works well enough in For Honor though.

I wasn't the same guy, and I''m not saying non tolkien fantasy can't exist, I'm saying sci fi shit curbstomps all fantasy. I'd like to see your touhou "gods" defeat the Necron armies, especially when the gauss rifles can demolecularize them to nothing.

Your post is literally what i meant.
Fantasy is associated with Tolkien's work.
Your the moron here. Tolkien put medieval in fantasy. It was something different for its time but now its just an infection.

sci-fi is idiotic for melee fighter though, no one would bother about physically fight when there are lazer guns and other ridiculously powerful weapons, robots beating each others with sticks its just dumb and makes no sense

Too bad the game is still a slow paced mess and boring as hell. If you want weapon combat, try soul calibur 5:

youtu.be/tmFa6nIhbjk?t=108

In 40k it works fine, the races all have crazy guns but crazy melee too. Look at Dark Eldar, they have guns that shoot dark energy and shit, but they have melee like electric taser whips that fuck your nervous system and poison claws and shit like that. Meanwhile fantasy ranged weapons all suck and melee stuff is generic shit like swords, and magic swords.

>I'm a ADHD child who need flashy attacks to entertain me.

Just sounds like your company lacks any real imagination or creativity and are just picking Sci Fi as an easy way out, Why should i play your game over Halo, Cod, Unreal Tournament or Law Breakers?

>I want combat that looks boring and realistic because I have no imagination

you sound like you've already made your decision.

wo why did you bother coming here asking for other peoples opinion if you're clearly biased (and retarded) as fuck

All of those things are possible in a fantasy setting, you're just a retard with no imagination.

Because our game isn't like those, it's gonna be badass and hardcore. The setting is in the far future, where people fight for the amusement of the wealthy elite in special arenas created for death and destruction. Some of the concepts for arenas in the sci fi vision of the game:

city rooftop at night during a heavy thunderstorm
munitions factory
aquarium deep under the ocean with glass that breaks as the arena gets flooded
oil rig during a heavy thunderstorm with waves crashing into the platform

That's a lot more interesting than any arena you could have in a fantasy setting. Also the characters will have badass weapons like laser guns, guns that shoot white phosphorous, disease and acid grenades, laser whips and lightsabers, and other cool shit. None of this is in any of the games you listed.

First of, there's nothing realistic about For Honor outside of the aesthetic.

Second
>I like button mashing games that require no thought or tactics.

>implying dark energy guns and electric whips that ruin your nervous system would even fit in a fantasy setting

>Yukari creates gap into nothing
>army of necrons ceases to be

This is why powerlevel fights are fucking stupid, and a bad way to compare stories and settings.

By these sorts of standards, we should never tell any stories that aren't super-far future and mythic scale fantasy because "I can kill Augustus Ceasar with my laser gun!" Seriously, we'd stop making anything that isn't the highest power level imaginable, and it would turn into the equivalent of 10-year-olds playing rock paper scissors ("Rock, paper, nuclear bomb!" or the classic "Rock, paper, BLACK HOLE"). No more modern day stories, no more historical fiction stories, no more hard sci-fi, nothing but the grim darkness of the 99th millennium, where super-saiyan Space Marines of the God Emperor of Gods fight Decipticrons for the domination of the All-Chaos or the annihilation of the all the multiverses.

More seriously, please stop posting this topic over and over but with different genres. The arguments have gotten stale.

>using badass to describe your game
>ever

are you gearbox?

Street Fighter V is a far more tactical skill game than For Honor.

The difficulty of sci-fi is the science, most people don't know enough to understand if something is actually ridiculous but pretty much everyone requires a certain degree of reality in place.

Fantasy's much easier to do, you can get away with most anything in regards to mechanics and aesthetic without complaints except from the most pretentious of autists. It might not be better, but it's probably a "safer" decision.

>I can't appreciate slow strategic combat so YOU'RE FUCKING WRONG, you FUCKING COCKNUGGET

You choose the setting that supports the gameplay mechanics that you want to develop.

Also pvp arena is shit.

See, this is what you don't seem to get. Just because you haven't seen something before, doesn't mean you can't make it up. That's what imagination is. You haven't seen that specific thing in a fantasy setting, and because you have no imagination, you think it's impossible.

It's fiction you fuckup, you can do whatever you want.

Star Wars is exclusively fantasy, there is no sci fi in it.

When did I say that?

>implying the Necron Overlord wouldn't use is NightBringer form which makes him invulnerable, allowing him to bypass the gap and interrupt her attack, as the Necron pyramid unearths itself and blasts her into oblivion, the Necron hordes enjoying the spoils of war as they defile the women

And moreover more power is cooler, why the hell would you want some boring setting about augustus cesar debating politics with guys in togas when you can have badass guys blowing shit up nonstop as metal music plays?

Sci Fi Fantasy

you're either dense or your imagination is pathetic, how can you not have equaly well designed and interesting settings with a fantasy theme? are you unable to come up with any or doy ou just chose to ignore the possability because you're so biased? why did you even bring this up if you dont like fantasy settings, are you a tool who caves into conformity? why am i even replying?

fuck

>He doesn't know Touhous

> it's gonna be badass and hardcore

Fuck off Randy, thats not a selling point anymore.

Light Sabers and starships are sci fi, not fantasy. I never saw Legolas fly a jet fighter.

You mean space fantasy, right ?

I don't play Street Fighter so I wouldn't know how much tactics it requires.

However, a skilled player in For Honor will always mob the floor with any opponent less skilled than themselves. Any cheap tactic can be consistently countered.

It worked for WoW: Legion

Unreal Tournament?

people didnt buy it because of whatever the marketing said.

they bought it because its the latest wow expansion

[Citation needed]

Brand naming worked for Legion.

>are you gearbox?
...maybe.

laser guns, guns that shoot white phosphorous, disease and acid grenades, laser whips and lightsabers, and other cool shit.
>None of this is in any of the games you listed.

>Halo
>laser guns: Spartan Laser
>lightsabers: plasma swords

>UT
>acid guns
>probably more I don't play UT

And I haven't played sci-fi Call of Duty or Law Breakers so I can't comment on those.

Also
>disease grenades
Medieval societies had these in the form of poisoned traps and cow carcasses on catapults. While great for long term killing (as in a weeks-long siege), it's really shit at anything within reasonable video game scale.

And Also you can recreate ALL those weapons in fantasy, because fantasy literally runs on doing impossible shit because fuck you, it's cool and I don't need to use science to explain it (which is also literally what 40k runs on, which is why 40k is way more fantasy than science fiction).

lmao

>Light Sabers and starships
Not him but those things aren't sci-fi. Light-sabers are just glorified fantasy swords. You could put the entire plot of the star wars movies into a fantasy setting with virtually nothing changed.

Star Wars is future fantasy not sci-fi.

Kinda, but more badass and more hardcore. Lots of arenas that are in factories and rooftops with loud ass music playing, hardcore shit, like this
youtube.com/watch?v=3y87bEqMUsw

>That's a lot more interesting than any arena you could have in a fantasy setting.

>city rooftop at night during a heavy thunderstorm
A city rooftop at night during a heavy thunderstorm

>munitions factory
A magic factory

>aquarium deep under the ocean with glass that breaks as the arena gets flooded

An aquarium deep under the ocean with glass that breaks as the arena gets flooded

>oil rig during a heavy thunderstorm with waves crashing into the platform

A mana rig during a heavy thunderstorm with waves crashing into the platform

Yeah I'm sure if Peter Jackson had Legolas with a cybernetic arm flying a battle cruiser and firing napalm at the orcs it wouldn't have clashed at all.

Can you read?

What are you even trying to say here?

Ok:

>city rooftop at night
Would look awful in a fantasy setting since it would either be a castle rooftop or a shitty peasant shack, which would look like crap

>magic factory
A futuristic factory looks cooler and better suited for fighting than a damn stone building with goblins operating giant cogs as some guy whips them while screaming WORK FASTER!"

>implying a fantasy setting would even have a damn aquarium

>same issue as the magic factory

Genres are more than aesthetics retards. I bet you're one of those fags who think cyberpunk is defined by how many people have prosthetic limbs.

I'm going to keep this thread in mind, and if I see a similarly described game getting regular shills, I'll make sure to remind everyone about how stupid OP is.

>Would look awful in a fantasy setting since it would either be a castle rooftop or a shitty peasant shack, which would look like crap

Wrong, you just have no imagination

>A futuristic factory looks cooler and better suited for fighting than a damn stone building with goblins operating giant cogs as some guy whips them while screaming WORK FASTER!"

Wrong, you just have no imagination

>implying a fantasy setting would even have a damn aquarium

Fucking moron

>same issue as the magic factory

Kill yourself.

how is it having a fucking garbage imagination?

>OP complains about fantasy being generic
>Proceeds to describe an extremely generic sci-fi setting
This thread has to be bait. There's no way OP is actually this stupid.

One problem with your aquarium. It isn't dark and gritty. This game is supposed to be dark, gritty, hardcore. The art you posted is way too colorful and bright. These arenas are supposed to look like places suited for no holds barred arena fights with bloodshed and death. Not a day out with your friends.

>There's no way OP is actually this stupid.
This is OP we're talking about.

>Yukari casts gap
>Yukari is invulnerable to harm

Seriously Touhou is some broken shit and is proof that power levels arguments between different settings are huge waste of time and have no bearing on measuring the quality of the story or setting.

But you knew that already, and are just being obtuse because arguing on the internet is fun. I just wish you upped your game and made it less obvious, so maybe it would turn into a genuine argument instead of a mildly amusing waste of time.

jesus fucking christ, you really do not have an ounce of imagination

Will For Honor have mod support?

>modern AAA game
>mod support

There is nothing inherently cooler about scifi. Your comparison between guns and bows baffles me especially. Most things are more interesting with limits, and working within those limits. This is as much a rule in writing as it is in games; chess would not be fun if every piece moved like a queen. Thus a bow is starting off in a better place, since it is less damaging and harder to use than a gun, so the feats accomplished with it is more impressive and interesting. That is, of course, assuming that your combat system isn't so banal that guns and bows are effectively interchangeable.

You're just being unimaginative as fuck. Why does it have to be either of those? Why do you limit yourself with way? Can't you create your own setting or use something that combines both like Steampunk, Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, Spacepunk or any of the other -punks that exist?

Take those pictures.
Make all structures black
Add cracks n shit in the glass to make it look like everything could collapse at any moment
Make the water look green, murky and diseased
Add dead or diseased looking fish and seaweed.
Add Cthulu looking monstrosities like something from Bloodborne.

There you go.

Ok, how will you make this fantasy aquarium more gritty and dark and hardcore?

So here's what you can do; look at the images, then think about them in your head. After doing that, use your thoughts to modify it and make a new image in your head where it has the properties that you want. This is called being creative.

Here, I turned down the brightness on the image to give of how one can augment an existing idea. What you picture in your head doesn't necessarily need to be the same thing as this image, it can look like whatever you want!

You're right, stupid question.

Ok and how will the spectators be watching this fight? In sci fi they'd have tv monitors and shit hooked up inside the arena and cameras.

>Add Cthulu looking monstrosities like something from Bloodborne.
>Bloodborne

Now you're delving into sickdark shit at this point, I said gritty and hardcore, not fucked up.

>badass and more hardcore

Theres them words again, tell me how its going to be badass and hardcore, right now your just blowing smoke out your ass using buzzwords.

Being brutually honest here but it sounds like your game is going to sell really bad because sound alot like Digital Homicide, you made this thread asking for people to try and convince why fantasy would be better but your acting like a man child being like "no thats not good enough >:[" and it just makes me think if you get any type of critcism you hate you'll explode over it.

Magic.

Ok how to explain, the way this game is, imagine grit, and dirt and grime. Imagine rainsoaked streets with hookers in leather miniskirts smoking cigarettes as police beat up homeless people just looking for warmth and shelter. Imagine biker gangs riding past shooting acid rounds at innocent passersby, laughing as their skin melts off. Imagine rugged men fighting each other in factories, hot molten metal causing them to be drenched in sweat as they pummel each other while wealthy onlookers scream for more bloodshed.

let the spectators be fishmen or ermaids or something. Or they could be like smoky shadow creatures watching from the shadows. Or magical portals/veiwports. You literally have no creativity.

>Now you're delving into sickdark shit at this point, I said gritty and hardcore, not fucked up.
THEN DON'T ADD THAT. THINK OF SOMETHING YOURSELF.

With those design sensibilities, you may have trouble selling your game, as most 12 year olds don't have ready access to credit cards.

Why would fish people be watching brutal no holds barred fights?

It seems like almost no one in here has ever read a Marvel comic

Really, like super high tech sci-fi with magic and shit, go read some early 2000s Marvel comics and you'll see how both give you awesome results

Because they enjoy them

The ocean is a brutal place.

Why do regular people watch no holds barred fights? Answer that question and you have the answer to your own question.

five star post

They need something to do with all those crewmen from the ships they sank. Watching them fight for scraps of food is an amusing diversion while the fishmen plot their next move to take over the surface world.

Ok how to explain, the way this game is, imagine grit, and dirt and grime. Imagine rainsoaked streets with hookers in leather miniskirts smoking cigarettes as police beat up homeless people just looking for warmth and shelter. Imagine flying wizard gangs gliding past shooting acid rays at innocent passersby, laughing as their skin melts off. Imagine rugged men fighting each other in factories, hot molten metal causing them to be drenched in sweat as they pummel each other while wealthy onlookers scream for more bloodshed.

Wow geez wiz golly that sure was hard to adapt for a fantasy setting

>women wearing leather miniskirts
>in a fantasy setting

Yeah right, they'd get stoned to death if they tried. Also fantasy settings have no factories, just "Ye Olde Blacksmithe".

This would be a really good pasta tho.

Sorry, I forgot people here seem to prefer settings like "little girls in bikinis riding dinosaurs as circus music plays".

Scifi is a lot more diverse.

Scifi can be fantasy but with guns.
or far future with only swords.

Scifi doesn't limit anything while traditional fantasy does, you can make scifi as fantasy or scifi as you want.

>they'd get stoned to death if they tried.
IT'S A FANTASY SETTING YOU MORON, NOT A MEDIEVAL EUROPE SIMULATOR. YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU FUCKING WANT. JESUS CHRIST, WHO STOLE YOU IMAGINATION?

Okay, there's a fantasy city that I just made up. It's called Kleftania. It is a strange town where women aren't stoned for wearing skirts, and it has a factory.

>Sci Fi you get so much variety, the only limit is your imagination.

The problem is that your imagination fucking sucks. You're describing the most generic Sci-Fi bullshit while shitting on generic fantasy, instead of bothering to think about it for more than 5 fucking minutes. You've made up your mind based on the absolutely least interesting parts of either genre.

>Hurr, muh lazers
>Hurr, muh bombs
>Wires/neon/cities

Seriously, you're just scraping the surface of mediocrity and saying its better than this other pile of mediocrity you've also deliberately constructed.

If this is the kind of person in game developement these days, no wonder the industry sucks shit.

Just fucking kill yourself, and try to come up with an original method, you talentless, creatively bankrupt fuck.

>implying all fantasy is your usual europe medieval society but with magic

go fuck yourself, you can have a fantasy setting in which society does not behave like fucking islamists or medieval cristians. You can have a fantasy setting in which religions didn't even exists in the first place and stereotypes don't fucking exists and society is individualist and does not give a fuck about any trait you have unless it's a valuable skill, or have none of that, and make a fantasy setting in which humans are slaves to giant monkeys with wings that spit acid

In fact, I'm gonna tell you a secret: STAR WARS IS FANTASY! you fucker

Fantasy is literally the most open genre you can think of

>Imagine flying wizard gangs gliding past shooting acid rays at innocent passersby, laughing

Sounds like the typical chaotic evil DnD/PF game, while also amusing to visualize:
>old men in typical biker gear but also with wizard hats
>don't bother with the Harley, just cast fly
>riding around while using the spell ghost sound to mimic motorcycle engines
>one of them casts ghost sound again to play this song
youtube.com/watch?v=THc39rT461E

Yep I've got a new campaign idea now.

If you have women wearing leather miniskirts in a fantasy setting it's gonna look like some stupid korean mmo shit

>STAR WARS IS FANTASY!

Yeah, the Death Star destroying planets with giant lasers really feels like fantasy to me

remember in LOTR when they used their hoverbikes to get to Mordor? Or that DnD expansion where they opened a portal using CERN and fought grey aliens?

You say that as if that's a bad thing.

Say what you will about weebs and their games, their fantasy settings are on point and really interesting compared to generic Tolkienesque fantasy.

What sets apart the miniskirts that you will use in your game that will make them look like they don't belong in a korean MMO?

Both

>In fact, I'm gonna tell you a secret: STAR WARS IS FANTASY! you fucker

You're arguing against a guy who admits that Star Wars is space fantasy, but is incapable of comprehending that 40k is also space fantasy.

He's either the most obstinate retard in the universe or, more likely, he's merely pretending. Because really, this guys (or people like him) have been making his OP for years.

>remember in LOTR when they used their hoverbikes to get to Mordor? Or that DnD expansion where they opened a portal using CERN and fought grey aliens?

No, but you can make it happen.

go play the witcher 3, look around Novigrad for a while, then come back and say you're sorry

A leather miniskirt fits future settings, it doesn't fit fantasy and looks dumb. Sci Fi allows for way cooler clothing. Like leather miniskirts, leather trenchcoats, leather pants, hardsuits with neon lights, fur coats and leather trenchcoats with fur and feathers and belt buckles and shit, wife beater shirts, cargo pants, cargo shorts, 3 piece suits, etc.

>the Death Star destroying planets with giant lasers
A giant airship with a magical power source that can crush entire mountains in seconds.
>hoverbikes
Eagles, griffons, magical horses, whatever you can mount that goes really fast.
>opened a portal using CERN and fought grey aliens
Open a magical portal to the shadow realm and fought demons and shadow monsters.

C'mon man, you're making this to easy.

>it doesn't fit fantasy and looks dumb.

It only "looks dumb" because you're imagining it looking dumb

lmao

How about an small number of people with magical abilities travling between worlds to stop a shittier version of them that also has magic and they fight with sabers and have magical telekinesis and shit?

Does that sound like Sci-Fi to you?

>this post
Gameplay is more relevant than setting. You either get point and click ranged combat with guns, or there's the potential for fantasy gameplay. At no juncture has a recent FPS been decent.

Maybe melee combat can't be that interesting either, so intensify it.

youtube.com/watch?v=gvjWDlVVJ44

That shit looks so cringe.

>people automatically assuming fantasy needs to be some Tolkien knock-off

I didn't say the sex scenes were good. But courtesants in the streets fit in pretty good

Not people. Person.

And yet the fantasy versions of that stuff would all get wrecked by Necrons. At least sci fi tech would be able to actually take some damage from them, a giant fantasy airship would get blown the fuck up so fast, and gaus rifle would shit all over an eagle or a griffon.

Someone should mod witcher 3 or skyrim so you can play as a Necron, you'd see how bullshit that would be, fantasy shit wouldn't stand a chance.

>mfw alduin gets one shotted by a gaus rifle

>Fantasy is generic
>Any fantasy that breaks the mold is cringy shit.
People like you are the reason the concept of "generic" fantasy even exists.

The Eye of God is literally a fantasy Death Star

>not going for science fantasy with automatic crossbows and laser swords

baka desu senpai

What in the actual fuck are you even trying to say? Did you even fucking read what you just wrote? Are you literally a retard?

It looks dumb in warhammer fantasy, you ever see dark elves? Their women wear leather miniskirts and shit and it looks stupid as hell. Women dressing like that in sci fi works because sci fi settings they have perfectly running water systems and soaps and things, fantasy there's no soap and they have to bathe in rivers and basins and water troughs and shit. Meaning they smell bad.

El Hazard is sci fi, not fantasy, They even have an insect race that uses guns.

There aren't enough good sci-fi games in the world, go for it.

>He thinks the Necrons could take on conceptual weapons
>He doesn't realize that Necrons are powered by fantasy magic

Why not both?

No one is arguing about who would win in a fight except for you, you fucking illiterate. You don't even know what you're arguing about because the concept of originality isn't something you know of.

>It looks dumb in warhammer fantasy, you ever see dark elves?

A Necron overlord would fucking obliterate Alduin the world eater so fast it's not even funny. Even if by some stroke of extreme luck Alduin somehow even damaged it, it would just revive and attack again and again and again.

Here is my character, Erelel the elf. He has a magic shield that deflects all gauss rifles, and a magic staff that instantly kills all necrons.

>implying there isn't cosmetic magic to cover up bad smells
>implying some high int-wizard hasn't invented the magic toilet

Reminds me of a /tg/ story where some wizard invent the toilet that was actually a portal to a pocket dimension, sold his new magic toilets to the entire planet, and then he set up a contingency spell that caused the portals to reverse on this death, causing a literal shitstorm.

Didn't you hear? Higher power levels = better setting, every time.

>Are you literally a retard?

More like really bad at starting strawman genre fights. You need to set up the OP and let the fans of each genre fight each other while goading them on via subtle support for both sides, not actively participate yourself in such an obvious and hamfisted manner.

>He thinks killing Alduin is an accomplishment

Try and tell me this woman wouldn't smell.

The Necrons die and then revive, encroaching on your elf in a never ending wave until he is torn apart by flayed ones. Also your elf can't revive, since his soul goes straight to slaanesh when he dies.

Aha...

You can try to steer away the conversation towards power level discussions, but that's not getting you anywhere

>not liking the smell of blood, sweat and dark rituals
Faggot.

It mixes magic and technology into an Arabian Nights style world. It could be classed as "Magitech".

Here is a city I of my own design; the city of Farkle. The main populace is dark elves that wear miniskirts that don't look dumb as hell. It has a perfectly running water system, the the town's main export is soap.

>Implying Sci-Fi and fantasy cannot be together

Guess who shows up to your town?

Which would be a problem, if it wasn't for Erelel's closets ally, who invented an orb that makes it so the necrons can't revive, makes him and his allies immune to all attacks by flayed ones, and makes it so their soul does not go to slaanesh when they die.

EVE is the least popular decent MMO. I'm sure there are reasons.

And then the Ultramarines show up with an Inquisitor and by proper authority of the Holy God Emperor of Mankind, perform Exterminatus, destroying them all, The End

Don't confuse space/tech fantasy or space opera with science fiction.

Oh! So you knowledge that such a town can exist in your imagination!

Awesome, you're starting to get it now.

That's because Blizzard brainwashed people into loving their shit game. Legion only sold because of losers buying it so they can beat off to Sylvanas cg.

Btw the Dark Eldar would fucking destroy Sylvanas and the Forsaken.

>future fantasy not sci-fi
>implying exclusivity

It's a good thing that he also thought ahead and invented a second orb, that prevents all of the things you said from happening

Keep up the good work, I enjoy that you're fighting 10 year old logic with 10 year old logic, as it just shows how bad the original argument is. Seriously this reminds me of the arguments I had in elementary school where everyone was trying to one-up each other until everyone was just throwing a bunch of adjectives in front of everything.

>I fire the missiles
>I fire the anti-missile missiles
>I fire the anti-anti-missile missiles
>I fire the anti-anti-anti-missile SUPER missiles
>I fire the anti-anti-anti-missile MEGA SUPER missiles
>I fire the anti-anti-anti-missile MEGA SUPER SAIYAN missiles

user, you are great. Keep going.

It is.

Fantasy and sci-fi are two different genres.

Future fantasy falls under fantasy, not sci-fi

NECRONS ARE JUST SKELETON SPACE WIZARDS.

C'MOOOOON.

She smells like
HERESY

yeah haha

Are you literally 12.

underrated post

Fantasy is about supernatural themes. Sci fi includes futuristic ideas.

justification for game mechanics in a scifi setting sounds more reasonable than fantasy

eg.
scifi: robots are complicated and many scientist died working on it
fantasy: im a 2000 year old elf wizard bro, i know a lot

technology is fun if you can use it to stomp magic users and elves and shit
magic is fun if you can use it to stomp regular fuckers

Are you a hunger games fan? Because anyone with sense knows guns are superior to bows.

this game is gonna be trash. If your coworkers are as uncreative as you (and I assume they are since they are arguing over what collection of tropes to base the game off of) I'd wager this game will be lucky to be shovelware if it ever sees the light of day. You talk like a 16 year old on xbox live.

That already sounds much better than your 2000's metal band musical clip simulator.

Wow, OP, you're really under a lot of pressure. The setting could be the difference between a massive success and a flop, and the decision is entirely in your hands. You will be praised if the game succeeds and blamed if the game fails. Why, if I were you I'd be sweating bullets.

I bet if I were a Necron you wouldn't say that shit.

In most cases that may be true, unless you're Anaxxu, the legendary archer born with a powerful psionic gift: the power to make use bow be exactly as strong as a gun.

Do something like Warhammer where it's sci.fi but with magic and gods existing in universe allowing for fun fantasy stuff.

Yeah, he can't make a bow load as fast as a minigun or have as much ammo as one. Also no such thing as White Phosphorous arrows.

Sci-fi looks like absolute garbage unless done incredibly well. You either make an iconic aesthetic or end up looking like cheap Chinese toys being clashed together by a 10 year old.

Except the problem is that they're written in understandable ways and through understandable concepts. Indescribable stops being that the moment that you describe it. So, they're generic evil gods. As about as generic as they come, really.

Define "supernatural themes"
Define "futuristic ideas"
Those concepts are not anywhere as clear cut as you think they are.

Why would wealthy people stand in a fucking molten steel factory for their entertainment?

It's throughout the thread.

>indepth melee with ranged combat

OK OP... How are you going to balance this? I'm very curious.

No it isn't. This thread is about powerlevel bullshit and OPs staggering lack of creativity. No one so far has tried to define sci-fi or fantasy.

How about a game that let's you play as a Skeleton?

Elflord Pu'tin the eternal and his elf army is immune to guns but vulnerable to bows so not only does this make guns obsolete, it makes bows superior

>many wizard died working on this ancient construct
>I'm an 80 year old scientiest, and I know a lot

Also science fiction, by definition, is supposed to be more reasonable than fantasy, which has zero obligation to be grounded in reality. On the other hand, good fantasy is typically grounded within its own rules and as such can be reasonable, while bad science fiction handwaves with technobabble.

Of course neither of these arguments matter if you don't really care about the justification, especially if these is all just window dressing for a character drama or something else (in which case the setting matters little).

>kill me.png

Please no, you're too amusing to die.

Make a game based on the destiny concept art.

Basically SciFi armor and shit but with fantasy design elements.

Damn, you actually have a point there...

Wait a second, Annaxxu just happened upon a treasure chest, deep at the bottom of a lich's lair! What could it be?

>People say that the fantasy setting is over used and is a cliche.
>Implying that not most games today are sci-fi shit that's even more filled with tropes and cliches.

This comes from someone working at one of the biggest game studios and I have the Veto vote om every single project done there.

But user, he has time bending powers so he can fire faster than a minigun and he uses spirit arrows he can conjure from the spirit world so he has infinite arrows. Also spirit energy is super explosive.

This powerlevel bullshit is stupid.

>Erelel, elf minmaxed against Necrons
>Erelel's ally, unnamed, wields magic orbs
>Anaxxu, psionic archer

Starting to get a party together.

What a find! A belt of "Being able to shoot a bow as fast as a minigun" and a bag of holding containing infinite white phosphorous arrows!

>I work at a game studio
Let me guess. You're a new company who is just starting up?

Toxikk is an amazing sci fi setting and looks cooler than any fantasy:

youtube.com/watch?v=PRPrJnuxqEY

look how badass and hardcore that arena looks.

It's a new company that is just starting up for the 10th time so he can post this again and again.

But does he really need the belt? If his power is to make the bow as strong as the gun, doesn't that also alter the rate of fire, as well as give him a wide variety of ammunition types?

Back of holding with infinite ammo is a steal though.

We're obviously talking about fantasy as medieval settings with The Force, and sci fi is about neon and Gundam.

I still find Shadowrun to be one of the shittiest settings I have ever seen in my life

>But does he really need the belt?

In a world where a someone wielding a staff that instantly destroys all necrons has a chance of losing against necrons, it's always wise to have a backup plan.

>Generic japanese city covered in bright lights and moving holographic signs

This is good?

>look how badass and hardcore that arena looks.
Its looks exactly like any game set slightly in the future. Its boring, its rooted entirely in what's familiar, and makes absolutely no effort to do anything interesting.

Its bland.

fantasy is inspired by mythology, folklore and other fantasy fiction. sci-fi is inspired by science (including defunct or speculative science), technology and other sci-fi.

i fully realise this definition is circular, but that's really how it works. people don't put things into genres based on strict scientific criterea, it's mostly based on a vague notion of how similar a work of fiction seems to other works of fiction that are already accepted as belonging to that genre. and most fiction is derivative in the first place, everything is inspired by something else, so it's rarely hard to find a category that fits.

they're just labels anyway, it doesn't really matter. you want a serious discussion about something you need to skip the labels and be specific about what you mean.

Shadowrun had too much fantasy elements

Science fantasy. Magitech, tesla coil covered dragons, cyborg elves, that kind of shit.

>all these cretins hating on based fantasy

OP, you know the answer

Tired as fuck Blade Runner art style. Painfully generic.

The fantasy is what made it stand out. It's intrinsic to the setting.

If you want pure cyberpunk, there's games that do that.

Pretty sure the only one hating on fantasy here is OP himself, or you know, the user who decided to pretend to be OP when the former developed the good sense to hopefully fuck off.

Blade Runner is way way cooler looking and more badass than fantasy full of gay ass trees and castles.

>all these cretins hating on based fantasy
>all

It's literally just OP being stupid (whether he's merely pretending or genuine is irrelevant) while the rest of us have fun converting his ideas from sci-fi to fantasy or doing dumb powerlevel arguments.

Meanwhile I eagerly await the next chapter of the adventures of MSpaint party.

>If the game is sci fi, it can have badass guns, people wearing cool looking hardsuits and shit with wires and leds and neon lights, and the arenas can be dark cities at night, and space stations and factories
You don't want to make a fantasy game because it would look like every other fantasy game ever, yet you'd happily make a sci fi game which looks just like every other sci fi game ever.

I would spit on you in real for having such horrible taste. Now begone flea, your minuscule existence is beginning to offend me. Suffer me no longer the sight of your mediocrity

It was ok with a little magic, but i didn't like the "orks", trolls, elves, dwarves bullshit

Why does OP lack any imagination whatsoever? Sounds like you're just trying to decide between generic sci-fi setting or generic fantasy setting, and both would be absolutely shit. What you should do, really, is browse art and real world pictures for inspiration on what kind of art direction you want to go for. Now take a look at pic. It's something cool that would great in either a sci-fi or fantasy setting.

Space western.

Again, it's a focus of the setting. Cyber fantasy.

Summoning Earth elementals into a gunfight as mobile cover?

Nymphs of polluted rivers that become toxic pollution monsters?

Bug spirits from other dimensions invading this one?

Animal shapeshifter corp spies?

on the subject, why don't devs ever make their own fun races? Fantasy is always Humans, elves, dwarves, and obligatory monster race, and sci-fi is always just different colored humans
Wheres the subterranean Worm peoples? Wheres the three armed lanky things? Why have i seen all this before?

Because fantasy and sci-fi writers have no imagination.

little creativity in the industry. But games aren't art remember so you don't need to be creative to be successful

It is, kitchen sink settings are never good.

See Fate/Stay Night and Warhammer Fantasy/40K, especially Fantasy though.

>Wheres the subterranean Worm peoples? Wheres the three armed lanky things?

For 3D games they need to have the same, or similar, skeleton to make animation easier. Sort of like how TV shows always have plastic forehead aliens: because it's easier and cheaper to put an actor in makeup than to build and manipulate a puppet or CG model. When they do decide to use non-humanoids, it'll be rare or have limited animation. Look at the nonstandard races of Mass Effect: the Volus, Elcor, and other not-exactly-human shaped aliens have limited movement and animation.

too much work to actually bother and make multiple skeletons and animate them that have meaningful differences. Just make one for humans and scale it up for orcs and down for midget people and twist it around a little for differences in posture.