Why isn't Cel shading used more?

Why isn't Cel shading used more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oYeLtPTY9sw?t=9m13s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII:_The_Series
flickr.com/photos/k_putt/albums/72157640801507023
flickr.com/photos/jim2point0/albums/72157631587097021
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's lazy, and mostly used to hide how bad your game actually looks.

wow. that is such a stupid reason to not use cel shading

no decent devs know how to use it properly

Because it looks like shit within 3 years. Yes, especially wind waker. Only game to ever get it right is DBZ burst limit

PC fags and muh realism killed interesting art styles
Okami looks better than any 4k shit because it has style

it takes a certain amount of panache and confidence

protip: the reason Killer7 is good isn't because it's functional but because it's stylish and unique, hard traits to pull off when most game companies only really care about getting the max $$$$ possible

It lends itself to very specific art styles. Not all game are made in those styles, so not all games would look good with cel shading.

Yeah, it's incredible, much better than Wind Waker looked for its time.

Because it looks like shit

is his afro shaped like a mushroom cloud?

Forgot picture and it's sarcasm.

It's shaped like an afro

the attack on titan game looks semi cel shaded, but you know...actually good

Ew! Major grossness!

>better than WW in 2001
>looks literally worse than Budokai on GameCube

COLLATERAL SHOT

this is bullshit
Jet Set Radio, Okami, Viewtiful Joe were all primarily cell shaded and they still look great even today. the only cel shaded games that look like shit were ones that didnt look very good to begin with.

>protip: the reason suda51's design philosophy is good isn't because it's functional but because it's stylish and unique
ftfy

XIII sequel never.

I've always wondered that. Does it cost more? Would it take more time to develop the game by implementing it?

>great fucking game
>killer multiplayer
>awesome aesthetic
>didn't sell worth a shit
>will never get a sequel

To make matters worse, the game ended on a fucking cliff hanger that said "to be continued"

WHEN? I AM STILL WAITING.

Guilty Gear could teach the DBZ games a thing or two about cel shading desu

I love Wind Waker's graphics and artstyle but really don't like Toon Link. I'm tired of this stumpy legged motherfucker being the default Link in everything.

>do flat textures cost more than detailed ones?

Why spend money on visuals when you can just make a text-based game?

would killer7 age more horribly if it used realistic graphics?

Games with cel shaded graphics tend to sell like shit.

Killer 7, Okami, and XIII all sold like garbage and Twilight Princess sold almost double the amount of copies Wind Waker sold. From publisher's point of view, why do cel-shading when you can can just NOT do that and potentially sell more?

>Only game to ever get it right is DBZ burst limit

Not at all. The Naruto games for isntance still look great because of it.

You didnt change anything or I dont understand your implications

because we are at a point where graphics are borderline photorealistic. On top of that cinematic games are trending so everyone wants a game that is basically an interactive movie.

Realism is whats popular. No one wants to take a risk and make a stylish game anymore. These arent the PS2 days where a game could be whipped up in a year or two, try something new without potentially bankrupting a developer. If you want the big bucks, you gotta give what sells. You gotta spend millions of dollars and even then you might not make much of a profit. Realism is the safe bet

>It's lazy

Like the majority of modern games. Your statement only fuels the question.

Can it age if it didn't really follow any standards most games were at the time of its release?

It's not lazy you fucking retard. It takes more work to implement cel-shading than to not. Especially if you want to do a unique style of it.

Killer7 looks great in Dolphin with 1080p

youtu.be/oYeLtPTY9sw?t=9m13s

because that pic looks like shit? cel shading, rotoscoping etc. is all meant to be for short clips or cutscenes. think of the cutscenes in the good mirror's edge game where they created them using a unique style compared to the actual gameplay and in 2D at that.

>not all games would look good with cel shading.
That's a really dumb thing to say. That's like saying not all stories can be animated.

Depiction is depiction, whether you like it is subjective. I'd personally love if all games were made with timeless visuals and cartoon style shading of any sort looks better than most other styles developers shit out.

Is Breath of the Wild cel-shaded?

'cause borderlands ruined the artstyle and nobody wants to use it anymore

Other way round, dingus.
Cel shaded games are the only 3D ones that still look great ten, fifteen years later.

>Cel shaded games are the only 3D ones that still look great ten, fifteen years later.
Super Mario Sunshine looks pretty good and it's not cel-shaded.

obviously

Look again.

>Cel shaded games are the only 3D ones that still look great ten, fifteen years later.
Cartoon style games are the only 3D games that look great 15+ years on, it has nothing to do with cel-shading though it can help.

what do you mean?
we have two sequels to FF XIII

I'm saying that your statement rings true for all of Suda's games

>Killer 7
>No More Heroes
>Shadows of the Damnded
>Lollipop chainsaw
>Killer is Dead

All the Ratchet and Clanks and Jak games tend to stand up pretty good too. Realism is pretty much the only one that doesn't stand up. Sprites, cel-shading, and cartoony artstyles never die. Except Borderlands which is somehow simultaneously cel-shaded AND hideously brown

I bet this guy thinks pixel art is lazy too.

I fucking hate sharing the board with clueless fuckwits like this.

That's the worst example of cel shading I've ever seen, no one in their right mind would cel shade a sphere like that.

Just keep reading the graphic novels, or watch this if you want more

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII:_The_Series

To be fair, alot of indie devs do use low quality pixel art as a crutch, and try and pass it off as retro-appeal, despite it lacking in the high quality art direction of the games it want to imitate.

I think the ultimate conclusion I've reached from this thread, is that the only real way to prevent a game's graphics from aging is to heavily stylize it.

I disagree. Ratchet games dated poorly because they relied too much on graphics to get their point across. And sprites age hard, the only game that does those right is vanillaware dude.

Borderlands 2 looks good. One of the most impressive looking games ever made tbqh.

he's pointing out why it's difficult you fucking retard

>Borderlands 2 looks good. One of the most impressive looking games ever made tbqh.

What good indie games use pixel art as a crutch?

And, I say good because it should go without saying that a bad indie game is probably bad in all aspects, including art.

Ratchet 1 looks pretty dated but RC 2 onward have held up pretty well in my opinion.

>sprites
>aging

My 5th favorite game is cell shaded so I like it a bit

He needs to be clearer about what the image represents then. Is it just meant to be an image of cel shading, or an image of bad cel shading? The purpose of the image is vague and best.

flickr.com/photos/k_putt/albums/72157640801507023
flickr.com/photos/jim2point0/albums/72157631587097021
How isn't this impressive? The consistency is amazing.

Is this cel shaded?

I mean, the textures are "cartoony" but the shadows don't seem to be cel shading.

Is this the hidden Killer 7 thread?

I need to know for reasons.

Also to stay on topic, cel-shading is a bitch to do right. It can be hideous, for sure but it can also be phenomenal visually and opens up a ton of options for theme, style and setting. It gives things a cartoonish or comic book feel to them and also adds a very strong disconnect from reality to anything using it. Whatever spunk bubble spouting that Wind Waker looks bad needs his head checked.

They Bleed Pixels comes to mind.

I thought Borderlands just used that pseudo-cell shading, where the textures just have black outlines.

From what I recall Borderlands 2 isn't actually cel-shaded. It was stylistically and visually similar but they abandoned cel-shading due to complaints from players and staff. The former found too many assets to be absolutely hideous due to some shoddy work and the staff found it too difficult to properly texture and warp or map without having things look warped and distorted beyond saving.

Do you think it would have been better if the game was 2.5D?

SOURCE

Well i know a game that uses a clutch that is worse than pixel art, but at least dont pretend it is "retro", just do so cuase the graphics are the least important aspect of the game

yeah, and that's why it has less than 30 characters vs 100+

Maybe. Or, if they'd just done something a bit more inspired with the medium they choose. The art in that game is pretty bland, despite it being pretty fun.

MUH REALSIM

>because that pic looks like shit?

It doesn't but considering you just tried to claim the cutscenes in Mirror's Edge look good it's safe to assume you're blind or retarded. Maybe retardedly blind.

Metal Slug 3 was developed by a large team, and backed by publisher money. When you compare that to a new IP made by a 3 person team without the backing of a publisher (or even crowdfunding for that matter) it makes you look kind of foolish, and reveals the fact that you actually know very little about game development. I'm not denying that TBPs art leaves a lot to be desired, but when you're comparing it to literally the pinnacle of 2d pixel sprite art of course it's going to look a little shitty.

>play killer7
>beat it
>what the fuck was that about
>mfw reading wikia

Was I supposed to get all that during the game?

Cave Story was made by one man in his free time and was self-published as freeware, yet it's presentation kicks the shit out of TBP.

meant for

Cave Story also took 5 years to make and was made by one guy, compared to They Bleed Pixels' two person team.

so you admit it doesnt look good then?

Anyway, that's no excuse in the case of DBZ, since most of the characters all have the same anatomy and faces you can resuse models

Why should development time be a consideration here? Devs should publish their game the bets they can be, even if it means more time in the oven.