How do I get into this game?
Where do I start?
Who do I pick?
Any good tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191788351
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You have to go outside and wade through waist high water while attempting to walk in circles.
Do this for about an hour and it'll prepare you for how the game feels.

>actually play the tutorial
>read beginner guides
>queue up for your first real match, feed the carry, get flamed by Russians
>experience no joy/only stress and confusion
>uninstall

Dota is actually a blast when you figure your shit out. Learning curve is steep tho

Play bots, learn how to last hit and deny, both creps and other players, learn what items do because they are a clusterfuck, play some easy character as sniper or viper for starters, then find what you like to play I guess, don't expect to have fun.

If this is your first moba you basically have a mountain of knowledge you need to digest to be not total shit and after that you need to play 1000 hours to become passable.

>Anygood tips
Uninstall dota2
And install LOL instead
Lol is better

I've always considered this game a translator crash course for English speakers: the more Portuguese, Russsian, and Spanish you know, the better your odds are at victory.

Play Heroes of the Storm first. It's a faster paced but newer friendlier MOBA.

Actually, on second thought don't. It's hard to transition from HotS to DotA where you're not all part of a team working to victory, but just feeding one faggot so he can tell you how he carried you.

>Play Heroes of the Storm first
Don't ever play HotS.

you know how we can tell you are a league faggot?

purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/

you don't have to read the whole thing before you start playing, but if you have any questions they're probably answered in there.

play the tutorial, it'll teach you the super basic concepts and mechanics and introduce you to some of the heroes and what they can do.

play bot games until you have learned the map and items, have an okay grip on at least 2 heroes, and can last hit creeps at least a little.

in Dota, you are at a tremendous disadvantage if you don't know what the abilities of an enemy hero are, so if you're learning by yourself expect your first few games with other players to be rough. it's just the way it is. people talk about the Dota learning curve like its some tremendous task to get over, but i didn't think it took all that long get through it. your mileage may vary, i guess. once you've gotten a grip on the game, Dota is a ton of fun. at least, it is most of the time.

don't be a tryhard, we have enough of those in the community already.

I have no doubt that I've played more Dota than any one person in this thread so here's my advice:

Do not pick ANY agility hero. If you do that then you'll be better than half the players already. Also, play against BOTS to start off, please.

>Heroes of the Storm

Dont
Dont
Something not Valve
HOTS is the best moba thats not dead if you REALLY want to play one.

The tutorials really help. Just do them.

A good tip that helped me learn the game was playing support first. Lion is a great one since his kit is pretty straightforward and useful.

>HotS
>Not dead

1. First pick Riki
2. Say mid or i feed in chat
3. Walk to mid but don't really do anything
4. Stand around for a minute or two
5. Your team will have no map awareness so they won't notice you leave mid and go to the jungle.
6. You need to buy an item, either Dagon or Radiance. Get it ASAP.
7. If dagon wait until an enemy is at low health then help your team-mates by finishing him off. If radiance just follow enemies around while invisible.
8. Victory!

You can learn anything from the tutorial with just fucking about in an actual game and checking the hotkeys, the problem will be learning how to into items and what the other heroes do and how your own abilities should factor into that

I'm shite at it. Friends dragged me in for a few games with no moba experience and I got consistently slaughtered.

how many hours do you got in game?

Don't play it OP. Odds are you'll end up one of those faggots who can only play DOTA but hates it anyway. I've seen to many friend succumb to it and I nearly did myself.

It's like a gambling addiction

5 and a bit probably

I'll play it with friends again if they ask but I can't see myself putting the time in for my own benefit

The learning curve is pretty high but once you know your hit the game is a blast.

It helps if you play with a friend that knows his shit or watch some youtube videos first.

Post them

I hope you are at least 4k by now

I was nearly 4k before I quit.

This, I actually love lol

>play 20 games with a single hero against bots
>try to read up the lore on what every hero's skills are and what they do
>learn which items to use on which hero
>practice last-hitting creeps, drawing creep aggro, and microing units

(you)

Get a friend on skype, play one bot game with him real quick and then just try to play a real game.
If you have fun, keep playing.

That's how you do Dota.

>Any good tips?

Yeah, don't play it.

50% of the time I'm spectating games

i've been off crack for 7 months, feels good.

>got more hours than mmr

I'd do Dota 10v10 and pick a character you think LOOKS cool. Play a bunch of those to get you used to his spells, other peoples spells, shop, items and what they do and the map itself

No one takes it too seriously.

>played 100 hours
>everything is still incomprehensible bullshit
It's just a broken game, honestly. Trying to marry a fucking RTS with an action game was a bad idea.

You read welcome to dota 2 you suck

Actually, read this instead:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191788351

He never got gud

you start by picking the Uninstall Wizard.

Read it.

All of it.

First of all, don't play it. I have 2.5k hours and they're mostly regret. Mobas are a genre where you have one insanely good match and then you try to replicate the moment where you won or had an amazing comeback. Of course a match like that only happens once every ~500 games so you'll play that many more shitty matches you wont remember after an hour or two
The saddest part is that you will remember more games where your team lost the game because of you than games where you enjoyed a hard earned win. Also you'll gather lots of hate for your teammates.

If you're looking to burn time just play a game with a story or something, or better yet go read a book or watch a nice movie

as I said, he never got gud

You didn't read all of it.

Who is this semen demon?

Played DotA for over a decade, now if I ever get the ol' Moba itch I'd play the superior game HotS.

Too many words, how long has he played dota and what's his MMR? I never experience any of the issues with the community and match making he talks about and I've been playing dota for about 7 years

Otherwise the game is highly balanced, 90% of the hero pool was picked at the last international

>HotS
Casual Scum

as a begginer to the moba genre when I started with no rts games experience.

you need a really good friend to babysit you and teach you the ways. read welcome2dotausuck guide.
bot matches turotials youtube videos.

expect 200-400 hours to learn the basics of the game and be able to do regular matches. it is a very tough experience you need very thick skin to move on. community is usually bad.

it is very rewarding experience but puts alot of tension on your well being. even if you win a hard fought match you wont be satisfied because the enemy threw the game at a certain point. youll become addicted.

I stopped because I took it too serious didnt feel at peace. like people say its the best and worst drug.

Can you at least change the fucking picture next time??

Fuck man, with all that time you could've become a musician or a sportman...

you think farming to "carry" is hardcore? Grats you're a fucking autistic retard.

Just skim through a guy that looks cool to you and play the fuck out of him. Learn to last hit, what items to build, then enemy match ups in that order.

Once your get all that down with one hero, you'll be able to pick up the rest no problem since you'll only need to learn their skills and what items to buy instead of trying to learn those two along with what items do, courier, etc all at the same time.

Did they make it so you could buy a majority/all of the heros like overwatch or smite?

and did they fix the issue of only 1 or 2 builds being viable on the heros?

and did they fix the issue of objectives being unobtainable after your barracks are down due to the lane pressure being constantly applied with no way to sneak out on most maps?

>and did they fix the issue of objectives being unobtainable after your barracks are down due to the lane pressure being constantly applied with no way to sneak out on most maps?
This was barely an issue, besides there's nothing wrong with having pressure on your core with baracks down considering how short the game is supposed to be.

it makes comebacks beyond difficult

dota2 is dying/dead
play lol instead

Dota 2 has only ever grown with time

no HotS has the most amount of comebacks with the absurd amount of experience you get as underdogs defeating your opponents.
The game's only catch up mechanic is the huge bounty of experience, and in a game where the team level is like the only determining factor (no items or individual exp/carries) it makes comebacks much easier than you think.
HotS has many flaws but "no comeback" is definitely not one of them.

He could arguably make more money playing dota professionally if he had a good team

I've got about 2k hours in the world - if I had the fucking will to play it anymore I would but I just can't bring myself to do it anymore, I'm not sure why but I just fucking can't. I'm stuck playing casual dumb card game bullshit because of how drained it left me.

are there actually people still playing hots?

i got burned out of that game like 50 matches in. Seriously one of the most mind numbing repetitive games ive ever played. and it's even astounding considering that its a moba, which is supposedly a genre where "no 2 games should feel the same"

it's a hero brawler, you should be comparing it more to a Smash / DotA hybrid than just calling it a moba.

no, its a moba with all depth cut out and skill ceiling significantly lowered. you can call it whatever you want but blizz simplified it too much and as a result the game doesnt feel rewarding and the matches feel the same one after another.

literally the worst game blizzard has ever made. its probably dyung though since i havet heard anyone mention it in like half a year

>hero brawler
this is nearly a bad a term as 'moba'

It still has well over Smite's player base even if it's "dead"

Remember that Overwatch is a hero brawler as well.