Is Budokai 1 on GameCube (story mode) the most loyal anime adaption ever made?

Is Budokai 1 on GameCube (story mode) the most loyal anime adaption ever made?

It literally feels like playing the anime with episodes, previews etc. All other DB games are pure shit in this regard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dv26q5Vnw3E
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is that the one where you have to lose certain battles to progress?

No. There's always a target.

>All other DB games are pure shit in this regard.
of course they are
they focus on different things instead of trying to be as faithful as possible

Let's put this to bed. They've stop trying after DBZ Budokai 1, full stop. I have yetnto see a DBZ game since this one even try to adapt the manga as good as this one. Sure, in the other games the fighting mechanics have been imporved upon(?), and they look prettier. But, every cutscene and dialogue fails to put in the "oomph" that DBZB1 had.
You can see that they stopped trying to put in the effort during DBZB2 when the storymode was a damn game board. After the making the cutscenes in DBZB1 they thought "Yeah we aren't doing that again".

I think it's one of the Tenkaichi games that do that.

Yes
Yeah it was Tenkaichi 2 i think

Which is why they are garbage. They aren't good fighting games, not at all. They should be at least good fanservice but they don't achieve this either.

Somehow people still like cancer like Tenkaichi, Budokai 3 or even Xenoverse, though. So, we'll never see a decent fanservice DB game again.

One thing that always bothered me about Budokai 1 was how in cutscenes you saw characters that should have been playable but weren't for some reason.

Like, you see all of the Ginyu Force fully modeled, but only Recoome and Ginyu are playable.

The characters in B1 cutscenes never blinked.

Man, I remember having this as my first 3D Dragon Ball game. The scope of the cutscenes and cinematography of the story mode made me think that there'd be some neat things that would've happened. The Special Beam Cannon mini games with Goku and Piccolo made me believe more special situations like that would've appeared. Such as running across Snake Way, fighting Great Ape Vegeta, making sure you beat Captain Ginyu or else Vegeta would get the dragonballs, and being locked in a beam struggle using Gohan's Father Son Kamehameha against his Solar Kamehameha. Those are only some of the ideas that I thought that would have happened. Makes me wonder what could have been if they got a bigger budget.

>Chiaotzu vs Nappa
>Chiaotzu's melee strings are broken as fuck
>Nappa never lands a single hit as I whittle him down to nothing and kill him
>FISSION MAILED
thanks, obama

>Somehow people still like cancer like Tenkaichi, Budokai 3 or even Xenoverse, though. So, we'll never see a decent fanservice DB game again.

have you considered that you are the one with shit taste and not the rest of the world?

Not him, but I'll give him Xenoverse. Although that's because I personally dislike Xenoverse too.

is this the xenoverse thread?

hell yeah mother fucker

Fuck i had this game. Forgot.

This first game I loved because of things like these cutscenes but also just for having some of the more stranger outfits, Goku and Vegeta had casual clothes available that I believe they wear after Buu is defeated in some filler.
Disappointing when you don't have shit like Goku in the Yardrat gear, Goku with weighted clothes removed, both fully destroyed and partially destroyed (When he first became super saiyan and just had the blue shirt intact), casual clothes Goku like said above and shit there's so many more that have been in a few games that don't show up in other games and for other characters too.

Best story mode, worst gameplay mechanic. By the second game they had it down. Third game seemed to overuse that rock-paper-scissors mechanic, haven't played any of the others.

>tfw half my favorite moves were locked behind fukken janken

This is 100% correct. B3 would be the best if it didn't introduce the horse shit teleporting that has been in every single game since

B3 easily has the best and deepest gameplay...as long as you dont play against the retarded AI, which spammed rage mode. A similar game called Infinite World came out, and they removed the idiot mode, but replaced it with Ki Draining nullify block, which the AI also spammed. IW had better and faster fighting mechanics, a more balanced roster (except goku's newly added spear kick, and yamcha has a fuck ton of nullifying combos), redone fatique systemm, and redone capsule setups. They also did away with all dragon-rush rockpaperscissors bullshit. The gameplay was better in every way. But the storymode sucked. Anyway, I still emulate both on PC, and wish I could play against real people...but the playerbase is ded...I...g-guess the AI will have t-to do....

btw, the teleporting isn't that broken, you must learn ki conservation.

Check out underlord tico on youtube for some cool stuff, or the DragonBallCompetitive forums.

>Dragonball games
>competitive
pick one

tenkaiichi, xenoverse and all that other crap doesnt have SHIT on the B3/IW meta as an ACTUAL FIGHTING GAME. All else is a shit. 3d action figures for children to recreate their fav animu.

wow what a failure of a man

fucking B1-3 are TERRIBLE as fighting games
they are low tier shit with DBZ dressing

fuck you faggot

are you just meant to replay the same story every time? is that what you want?

They had to change shit up because the manga isn't going to magically change. Otherwise you'd just have the same game over and over with better graphics. While that might sound good to you, it would not be a financially viable product.

You can still change up shit while keeping the feeling of the manga. That's what Budokai 1 did with their What if scenarios.

then it's not a loyal adaption, it's fanfiction.
like xenoverse

Super DBZ is also pretty good gameplay wise. It seems like it's really overlooked which is a shame.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dv26q5Vnw3E

confirmed for not understanding ki conservation, combo cancels, sidestep cancels, infinites, neutural p, or transformation juggling.

Only B3 and Infinite World have these mechanics.
B1 is respectably, a shitty fighter with faithful cutscenes.

I know what you mean mate. Don't like that myself. Even then if the original story of a new DBZ game had episode previews for each new battle then I would consider it a loyal adaption in the way that it uses the elements of the show for its own purpose. If I'm not making sense then ignore the nigger that I am because I really need to sleep and my insomnia is destroying me.

What exactly is wrong with the PS2 version?

PS2 is inferior to the GC in terms of power.
Compare any multiplat game like RE4, Killer7 or this and you'll notice.

No. The art is complete shit.

>Goku vs. Ape Vegeta in Tenkaichi 1
>slowly take down his health because he hit hard as fuck
>finally win
>game says fuck you and disregards it

Why not have an alternate win state or some sort of special reward.

One of the most loyal. It's amazing how much work they made creating models and environments that would only appear in cutscenes for a few seconds, just to convey what happened in the original story.

Also on PS2 but yeah. Best story mode.

>on GameCube
I don't get it

This is why, for all it's faults, and playing an import I couldn't understand, I still enjoyed legends.

>get to Frieza
>makes you use Krillin
>Supposed to lose, so Goku goes SS and makes things even
>Get good enough to say fuck that and smack Freeza's shit as Krillin
>ends the saga right there and moves onto androids

>Somehow people still like Budokai 3
Yeah, why the fuck do people like literally the only good Dragon Ball game?

The GC version had cel shading which made it look much better

B3 has fucking rock paper scissors with its super attacks

B2 was better than B3 in every way. People only flock to B3 since it had the bigger roster

Hmm, the OP pic did look a bit different than I remembered it.

Burst Limit is the last one that tried, missing the buu saga that is
Budokai they tried hard since the last DBZ games weren't great and fans wanted the story captured in game. With Budokai 2 they started just caring about having new characters in games instead of how the story looks. Budokai 2 story-mode is a horse shit with that board-game. Budokai 3 is just text with bubbles.
I think they tried again with Tenkaichi series, but the animation was just bad
Funny they tried with the anime cutscened animations in that shitty Ultimate Tenkaichi game. It looked good, but is just for some parts of the story
>Tenkaichi 2
Wasn't that game that had movie arcs that made you fight Slug like 5 times for no reason or Bojack like 3 and some you just couldn't beat the enemy? That shit was boring as hell, despite having the best story mode for all the Tenkaichi games and what-ifs

Dragon rush and the abysmal *teleports behind u* mechanic pretty much ruined B3, user. And on top of that its movement was very restrictive compared to most 3d fightan. It's okay but nowhere near tournament viable with all its silly imbalance on top of it

Can't say anything on if Infinite World fixed these issues since I never played it

Infinite world had better movement and removed dragon rush.
Still wouldn't consider it a good tournament game though, but it's fun.

>Budokai 2 story-mode is a horse shit with that board-game.
I loved that, and the Hyperbolic Time Chamber was the best shit ever.

only if youre a retard and get caught by the rage mode rushdown.
teleportan behind u costs THREE FUCKING KI BARS, which is near half a FULL GUAGE. ki conservation you fucking hmong.

so this is what it must have been like in an alternate earth where melee was just played for fun and never became the autism fest, tourney bullshit it is on our earth...

because B3 would never hit those levels like your sounding like you want, user

Last I remember it only costs one.

>game is in french
>don't know much of french
>anime was on SSJGoku vs Freeza
>game spoils the series for later arc even without understanding much other than the manual saying "TRUNKS FROM THE FUTURE IS BULMA AND VEGETA'S SON. GOTENKS IS GOTEN+TRUNKS FUSION"
Z already was over on japan, but everywhere else was still on air. That's what happened with DBZ games, since the series were in the 80s/90s we missed most old nes/snes games with story modes in the west
Anyways, you could miss tons of shit not knowing the story in Legends. You could miss 16 if you didn't used Goku to some certain point in the Android Saga. In the end doing this shit woud have you miss the special ending that was pretty awesome
>Dragon rush and the abysmal *teleports behind u* mechanic pretty much ruined B3, user.
True. But sometimes you could pull off Dragon Rush pretty easy, let's say the first try cpu chooses Square, then the 2nd try the most common thing to happen is between Triangle and X. So, Square/Circle and Triangle/X in each try, that's what usually happens in the original game, rarely is just pure random
The fucking teleport? Fuck that. Omega Shenron is annoying with that shit in Z3 difficulty. Or fucking Gotenks vs Gogeta what-if tournament

>costs THREE FUCKING KI BARS
it costs one bar

and is bullshit because in a 'fair' situation of both charas having full ki and both players not whiffing the timing, the one with the most naturally regenning ki (the longer bars) always wins

It only took one which leads to it being the only viable tool to use when played "competitively." As I said, this game is just not made for it.

Almost no other ki using techniques matter because teleporting is:
>extremely cheap on ki
>gets you out of damage/combos
>completely flips momentum

it costs THREE FUCKING BARS in regular base game!!! unless youre playing dragon arena or singleplayer story with your ki stats augmented to max which was frowned upon because it and fucked with base game mechanics too much, shit like: punches eating 1/8th of health bar.

the person with the "longer ki bars" doesnt always win.

you all dont know much about this game.

Budokai 3 has rock, paper, scissors triggered by a Ki draining super mode that is super fucking easy to avoid, so much so that you'll never see it unless you're actual, literal human garbage.

People who have actually played Budokai 3 know that it's a pretty fun fighter with a surprising amount of depth.

The only thing you need to have your game featured at a tournament, at least as a side event, is a community. Budokai tournaments even were organized at US anime cons in 2006-2009, back when Dimps was still making the games. Infinite World specifically had a decent shot at getting into FGC, but despite all the enthusiasm, it still had fewer players than Budokai 3.

crazy how on Cred Forums you get people commenting on games they've never played before

>rock, paper, scissors triggered by a Ki draining super mode that is super fucking easy to avoid
the timing minigame for your ultimate attack is triggered by the easy to avoid attack. janken is just triggered by pushing a certain button after sending your opponent flying, which can be done by landing a special move or just landing a running punt

Dbz games are not competitive and probably never will be, i bet this guy is a fucking spic, why are spics so fucking obsessed with shit like dbz.
Searching for dbz shit anywhere usually find a lot of stuff in spanish, dont they have saint seiya to fucking ruin or is it not enough?

if you get hit by a dashing attack you have brain damage

Xenoverse sounds good in concept but failed to bring actual good gameplay

It seems like they kinda fixed this on Xenoverse 2 (I played the demo in E3 and it was a lot better than the first one)

yes, its almost like Cred Forums is utter shit???
>implying everyone doesn't just backdash away from the red retard.
even without backdashing, unless you're a pleb button masher/kamehameha spammer, you've practiced dodging the basic rushdown.