Who did more damage to the gaming community and how do we prevent the death of video games?

Who did more damage to the gaming community and how do we prevent the death of video games?

try to keep a healthy discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

jstationx.com/2016/06/17/dishonored-2-gay-bisexual-characters-prominent/
pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-dishonoured-game-will-have-gay-and-bi-characters/
gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-dev-says-character-diversity-just-as-imp/1100-6441800/
gamespot.com/articles/we-betrayed-fans-and-want-to-be-a-brand-again-says/1100-6428680/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

we prevent the death of video games by continuing to buy games

Kid's impressed by fancy graphics did the most damage. Kids/early teens in general including my past self.

>continuing to buy games
>60 dollar shovelware indie
>79 2 hour game + 29,99 DLC
>14gb patch

give us a better idea

Pirates did. Thanks to pirates, shit like DRM and Steam exists, all because you are too cheap to buy a $40 game. Also digital vendors for pulling their "g-goy, digital will be cheaper!" when the prices never even fell. They pocket more money by not even having manufacturing costs.

Not that guy, but buy only the games that deserve it and pirate everything else or better yet just don't play it.

You can prevent it by just continuing to play video games and talk about video games. As the medium matures, so too will people's tastes and the product with it. Instead of just basing video games off the model of mass-produced best-sellers, developers - independent or studio-funded - will begin to develop games that they wish to play or that consumers will wish to play. Hell, if nobody's making something you want to play, then go ahead and make it yourself.

All it takes is for a person's passion to not die out, honestly. I like video games. I like to play them, I like to talk about them, and I like to make them

>that deserve it
we are reaching to the point where there is none or 1 or 2 peer year

Normalfags.

Casuals.

It's already too late to stop them.

>Getting asked which current gen console has the better graphics

Video games are better than they ever were, so there's no need to worry.

a pirated game downloaded has the same effect on developer's pocket as a pirated game not downloaded.

>somebody on this planet actually thinks this
>Undertale
Disgusting.

Lol like no one asked that 25 years ago

The community?
Youtube game reviewers caused the most damage.

Not that poster, but Undertale is good. Stop that meme.

>how do we prevent the death of video games?
By being fine with more video games and more types of video games being produced. Nobody complains about books which don't use a traditional format, or complains about "SJW movies" which all of twenty people will see, because they know the media is large enough to produce some crap and still create the good stuff they enjoy. As long as the community continues to spaz out abut anything they don't like - as opposed to demanding a quality produce that they do like - then video games aren't going to grow past the toys of whining little children.

Also, less blind brand loyalty. I realize that a name in video games is harder to follow than an author of a book, but people should realize that a company won't be making a good "spiritual successor" to a game from the 80s precisely because those same developers aren't on the team anymore. Get better informed, or at least try out more than just the names you remember from childhood.

I think the implication was they all generally look the same today.

almost all games released physically day one are sold for 60 bucks on steam

Some 12 year old right now is enjoying Destiny 500x more than you enjoyed any of those

>being a delusional piratefag

Why pay for any goods/services?

How do you know that? Because games are designed to be more addicting at the expense of good game design post 2006?

>so caught up in nostalgia he disregards all the great stuff in the early 2000's.
It is disgusting, but you're a faggot.

This user tells it like it is.

you need to prove they're dying first, are you judging them by how bad shitty indie games look? That's a pretty dumb way to measure the health of the industry

Its clearly just late 90s games, you could easily make one for early 2000s and early/late 80s. Late 2000s and early 2010s would be hard though.

regardless if I download a game or not it doesn't bring any harm to the publisher
I didn't pirate any game in 2016 but If I decide to do things will be the same: 0 cents to the developer

There is literally no reason not to defend free trial

>medievel
That game had too simple mechanics to be interesting, and I was like 14 at the time when it released. Why does everyone like it so much?

>Not that guy, but buy only the games that deserve it and pirate everything else or better yet just don't play it.

Today, I think you can take piracy out of that equation. Voting with your dollar makes the most sense, and so does skipping shitty games. Piracy used to be the best "try before you buy" option, but Steam gives you a legitimate alternative now with their refund policy. Pirating a game, beating it, then justifying not paying for it because you decided, after you consumed the whole thing, that you think it's bad, is actually really stupid and cancerous.

Yeah, there was totally no shovelware or overhyped trash back then

I hate this shit on so many levels.
I don't think I've seen anything lazier than games like shovel knight or undertale.

The industry is moving quickly into the mobile market for casual players. Consoles and PC will get a smaller and smaller share of the market and fewer games. Within 10 years Consoles will be a niche market and mobile phone will reign, also by that time angry birds will be considered a hardcore game as will candy crush. The industry is dead we just don't know it yet.

I think people cut its slack because it was a 3D action game that came out before OoT and wasn't shit.

It did, but it also had quality AAA games that weren't made for bumbling retards.

I heard that all the time, then the PS4 sold like 40 million consoles with no games.

So no you're wrong. The kind of games you have on mobile are free2play with microtransactions up the ass. It's a different market.

If all I had to play were the games on this list for the rest of my life I'd be pretty damn satisfied.

How's that game you're making going?

This is why you have to use shaders or filters if you want to get as close as possible to the devs original vision while emulating.

The consumer. As long as people continue to buy shit games, developers will continue to make shit games.

>Good game design post 2006
The World Ends With You
Pandora's Tower
NieR
7th Dragon 2020
7th Dragon III: Code VFD
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye, Despair
Persona 4 Golden
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Freedom Planet
Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Milennium Girl
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight
Undertale
Vanquish
Skullgirls
Valkyria Chronicles
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Sonic Generations
Sonic Colors
God Eater Resurrection
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Shovel Knight
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Killer Is Dead
Bloodborne
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Dark Souls III
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Splatoon
The Witcher 3
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Lost Planet 2

Slow because I'm not willing to compromise my integrity by making it look like an atari 5200 game.

a lot of that list is mediocre to shit

>actually bothering to make a list when he's going to play the contrarian and call it shit despite playing maybe one or two
u dum

>jrpgs
Other than that I can kind of agree

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with him? It's difficult to tell and this isn't meant to be a sarcastic jab against either point.

>Dark Souls II
>Undertale
>The Witcher 3
>Resident Evil Revelations 2
>Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
>Danganronpa 2: Goodbye, Despair
Really? The last two are barely even games.

>skullgirls
>sonic
>sonic
>danganronpa
>god eater
>every dark souls lmao
>the witcher 3
>Lost Planet 2
If you ignore all of these games I just pointed out that is a very fine list. Just work on your taste a little more and you'll eventually be more respectable.

But that's the best way to vote with your dollar. You play and beat it, and then decide if it's worth supporting future games in the series.

We killed gaming by buying shitty games and making the devs think "ayyy dude we don't need to put effort in our games to sell em"

>Killer is Dead
Come the fuck on, user. Get that out of there.

>Dust
get lost furfag. that game was shit, you just spam 2 buttons for combat, voice acting is an abomination, character design is a furry disgrace

>you need to prove they're dying first
Not that I buy the always angry meme of God of War but look what's happened

remove undertale you piece of shit

>79 hour game
>games should be 400+ hours

>dark souls is bad but persona and lightning returns is fine
you have to be doing some hard drugs to actually believe that

Well, it did start in the 90s

I missed both those actually.

But seriously you're a mouth breathing moron if you just blindly slap all three Dark Souls on a list of "good games". Just the first one is all that is ever needed. 2 and 3 are like pokemon sequels.

True, consoles have always been on a path of casualization, it didn't become a major issue until 2007 though.

>Steam gives you a legitimate alternative now with their refund policy
Because everybody has $60 to spare to test out a game? Not only that, but I don't always have time to try games within 2 weeks of buying (such as getting games in a sale). I pirate and it sits on my drive until I can pull myself away from Dwarf Fortress long enough to try it out.

>Just the first one is all that is ever needed. 2 and 3 are like pokemon sequels.
i dont think that's fair to say, but i understand what you mean.

>games like MGR are shit because FOUR HOURS
>games with infinite generic content like Skyrim/Fallout 4 are GOAT because you can spend hundreds of hours and still not finish everything

Except they don't, yet there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't other than M$ and Sony being absolute retards at times.

>enjoying Destiny

consoles have always been casual and pcs between the 80s and 90s were drowning in activity centers and children's games
you'll deny it because your precious birth period was the "golden age" though and they could do no wrong

What is the difference between pirate and steam refund? Pirating is better because you don't have to install steam spyware

which is why i stopped playing those games
i dun don't want to spend over 1000 hours on one game and still not finish everything

>enjoying video games others dislike
hes a damn degenerate

look at the PS2 and Xbox(2001) library

compare to what Xbox one and PS4 offers

>1 game being fucked
So what? There's still Mount & Blade II Bannerlord that looked great, perhaps some other games will also be good like Shadow Warrior 2, Dishonored 2.

>casual games have always existed
No shit, there weren't nearly as many AAA quality releases back then that were and even fewer in the lower development budget regions.

good music
simple but fun mechanics
tons of weapons to unlock
good humor
level variety
original story

It's the closest we got to a Tim Burton's video game along with Grim Fandango.

stop with the greentext faggotery

and thats your opinion, which is not objective

Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon
Catherine
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Alien: Isolation
Bioshock
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Portal
Portal 2
Disgaea 5
A Boy and His Blob
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
Monster Hunter IV: Ultimate
Monster Hunter Generations
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Transistor
Long Live the Queen
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
The Darkness
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
Hyper Light Drifter
Devil May Cry 4
Xcom: Enemy Unknown
Grand Theft Auto 5
LA: Noire
Hyrule Warriors
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Fire Emblem: Fates
Rune Factory 3
Rune Factory 4
Return to Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Overwatch
Disagreeing with him
I stand by my statement that video games are better than ever

>Dishonored 2.
a literally SJW shill

Also, all other games by Microsoft and Sony push the graphical and diversity memes

>Tim Burton
the faggots from the art class love to bring this idiot as a genius.

>good humor
>evel variety
>original story
Your presence here on Cred Forums is not welcome

>Dishonored 2.
>a literally SJW shill

wait, what

the protagonist is a girl

>baiting this hard
Don't listen to this redditor, I will post a reply with a proper answer in a few minutes

true. some people do enjoy eating shit.

better...

WOW FUCKING UNPLAYABLE NO GIRLS ALLOWED

Here is the reply:

Dishonored 2’s Gay and Bisexual Characters Will Be ‘Prominent’
jstationx.com/2016/06/17/dishonored-2-gay-bisexual-characters-prominent/

Dishonoured 2 is to include LGBT characters.
In an interview with Game Informer, co-creative director Harvey Smith confirmed the game will have gay and bi characters.

>“When we handle something like that, we’d like to have it in the world, and not draw a big sign around it that says, ‘this guy is gay’.

>“There is a gay character, there’s a bi character. We’re better in representation in that sense.”

pinknews.co.uk/2016/06/01/new-dishonoured-game-will-have-gay-and-bi-characters/

You can play as corvo too retard.

>We’re better in representation in that sense
This is fucking sad, it sounds like they're trying to avoid a social justice gestapo.

I just use a simple scanline on anything with a native res lower than 480p. Good enough for me.

Are stupid?

Well, let's see how it will be implemented.

Seriously, it sounds like they just want those lunatics stop bothering them.

If I would be a director I would probably make a few useless gay NPCs just to shut them up

>you need to prove they're dying first

>Uncharted Dev Says Character Diversity Just as Important as Graphics and Gameplay

gamespot.com/articles/uncharted-dev-says-character-diversity-just-as-imp/1100-6441800/

>when you want to keep your integrity but you need to sell copies

>this fag has a shit crt

loving every laugh

a bitch cry on twitter it's enough for them to make SJWs pandering and push LGBT agenda. You guys are acting like you don't know how it works

>social justice fags
>buying games

>oot
WWHD is way better. like, WAAAAAAY better

>Ff7
>quake

BAHAHAHA!

kys, beeyotch.

Well yeah. It's not fun at all to play the same fucking generic character in every game. This is my main issue with Watch:Dogs (aside from press X to hack gameplay).

The biggest source of damage to the gaming community is the US federal laws that make it illegal for any publicly traded company to do anything but make as much profit as possible by whatever means necessary. This combined with gaming companies going public for money means that gaming companies have fallen into the mentality of screwing over the consumers whenever possible instead of trying to make a good product that people actually like. Gamers end up with lowered expectations, especially underagers who never grew up with anything better than the shit we have now, and the entire industry suffers.

Oh shit its the beeyotch poster. I don't know if your being ironic with this shit but it cracks me up.

>and not draw a big sign around it that says, ‘this guy is gay
As long as this is true I don't mind, the biggest issue with these games is characters going off on rants about how they're special gay snowflakes for no reason.

you can just ignore Sony's and Microsoft's games

Bannerlord seems to be adding all kinds of stuff, and that's a game made by fucking turks.

Today smaller teams can deliver some good games. I just played some Betrayer, made by former Monolith developers of FEAR/Shogo/NOLF and it was pretty good.

Patrice Desilets, creator of PoP Sands of Time, also created the AssCreed IP, worked on the first two games went to create his own small studio, working on something that seems to be a Neanderthal Creed.

Michel Ancel (Rayman, Beyond Good & Evil) is also making some tribal game with a new small studio, I'm keeping one eye on him.

Daniel Vavra (lead dev of Mafia 1 and 2) has his medieval game in the works too, Kingdom Come does look nice.

I just played Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 the other day, both games are made by small finnish developers, pretty damn good. The AAA sector can crash and burn because the industry is too diversified and the tools that allow people to make games have never been so accessible.

Shame about the forced gayness in Dishonored 2. Devs should stop caving in to that.

>naughty dogs
Well to be frank their games aren't compelling at all. They can shove 20 child lesbians scissoring all the time in The Last of Us for all I care.

>Who did more damage to the gaming community
certainly not indie devs for adding more games to the market
just don't buy them if you don't like them, but there are many good ones

and I'd rather have a few good ones than none at all

>implying the game director would say the truth

He already said on twitter LGBT memes will be "abundant". No reason to damage control him or the company he works

Skullgirls has literally recieved awards due to it's amazing artwork

test

Raptor protip: Any capture worth it's salt will look like the left, not some tilted screen """"leak"""" taken with a disposable camera on the right.

Of course, facts would completely destroy your shitty mspaint comic, as per usual.

>US federal laws that make it illegal for any publicly traded company to do anything but make as much profit as possible
wat
That's not true at all. It is shareholders who want corporations to do nothing but make as much profit as possible.

Oh well, personally I still don't give a shit as long as the gameplay is good. Gay sex can't make games bad, it can only accentuate games that are already bad.

yes and the corporations have to listen to the majority of shareholders or else legal action can be taken

Because it's a PS1 game made by Sony.

Shareholders are legally allowed to sue their companies if they think the company hasn't done everything they possibly can to make as much profit as possible, including screwing over customers.

Not him but taking a picture of a crt screen doesn't really prove shit aside from the fact it's blurry, which we already knew. You lose the effect of he cathodes irradiating your photoreceptors.

and dumb CEOs that can't even hire a single good video game director or set up a decent Q&A team

dataminers

>Q&A team

That's true.

Corporations have to listen to shareholders because shareholders own the company. If the shareholders (really the board of directors they select) weren't such pricks then there'd be no problem.
That's like blaming the law for people being able to piss in their own pants.

Video games are NOT dying jackass, they're just gaining mass appeal. Turns out nerds and shut ins were having a great ol' time fagging around with virtual simulations. normies wanted in so companies responded. Just like pop music is shit, pop games are shit - but that doesn't mean there isnt great music and great games out there. Oldfags don't realize that when gaming was in infancy they were a niche product. It didn't take much to stand out in a party with few people. Soon as the place reached block party critical mass it's harder to sift through all the people to find individuals you want to hang with. Lots of people are going to like shitty pop songs and lists of money is going to be spend promoting them front and center for normies. Same thing with pleb games like destiney.

It's on fags like you to find good games. If anything it's just another exciting level to gaming. the anticipation of hunting down a good game only makes striking gold so much better. don't lose hope and never stop refunding games you think are total butts

so you agree? why did you even start this argument then?

Considering the inflation, $60 games now are much cheaper than $60 games your parents used to buy you.

I don't agree. It's not the law's fault that shareholders are greedy just like it isn't the law's fault if someone decides to piss themselves.

shareholders wants profit
retard CEOs make sure they bring profit but not good games

>We Betrayed Fans And Want to Be a Brand Again, Says Sega CEO

gamespot.com/articles/we-betrayed-fans-and-want-to-be-a-brand-again-says/1100-6428680/

I was here, playing, when most of you didn't exist yet. I grew up playing a Commodore 64, if you look at what it was you'll think it was a computer, and it could actually run code, but most of us guys bought it because it could run games and that's all we did with it - it was, for all intents and purposes, a console.
It was also a part of the first console war in history, Commodore 64 vs ZX Spectrum.

Games weren't all that back then, they mostly sucked dick, and it was because everyfuckingone could publish his shit on stuff like the various Atari, Commodore and Spectrum, it took Nintendo (and their dumb "seal of quality" stuff) to make people buy videogames again, recovering the market from a terrible crisis.

Since then, consoles have been the home for high budget, mainstream oriented games, and PCs focused on more niche genres with low budget.

Right now i can see a new crash coming, with the massive shift to PC only and garbage like Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter allowing shitheads to flood the market with shit again, the situation is VERY similar to 1983.

>Implying that isnt how CRTs actually looked at the time of NES.
>Comparing NES graphics to SNES graphics on a modern CRT.
>Not realizing that the sprite looks better on the old monitor.
Lots Of Laughs

"I felt horrible about bringing Saturn to market. I was being forced to introduce the machine with a very high price, and its performance was terrible. We knew it was terrible. Sega Japan said, "You've got to bring Saturn out before PlayStation." Which we did - it came out four months earlier than PlayStation. Then they said we'd only have 70,000 ready by then. Well, how can you introduce a platform with only 70,000 units? I sent a memo to Japan in 1995, saying Sega would be better off just becoming a software company - we could support Sony, and even Nintendo. They sent a reply: "We will always be in the hardware business

It's not the law's fault that people are greedy but it used to be understood that they were and it's why the stock market was heavily regulated. Most of those regulations are gone now.

So it's the law's fault for not having laws against it? That doesn't make sense either. Either way the blame goes to the people who actually make the decisions on how the company is run. Plenty of companies make good products for a decent price despite the lack of regulation.

>Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
I wanted to like that game but the linearity of it was disappointing.

>Either way the blame goes to the people who actually make the decisions on how the company is run.

This is the problem, most of the system is set up so that individuals AREN'T held accountable for any decisions they make except for one pertaining to making the stockholders money.

So, for example, if a CEO decides to just dump some waste in a river because it's a cheap way of disposing of it the company is the one held responsible for that decision and "it" is fined. If a CEO decides to not dump waste in a river and instead take a very expensive but environmentally friendly route to dispose of it he is personally responsible to the stockholders for that decision.

We used to have rules and regulations to protect the company from the shareholders, most of those are gone.

so any conclusions?

can we prevent the death of video games or we just watch it die and play our good old classics?

I don't feel video games are dying. OP you probably grew up and are as entertained by flashy lights or your shoot bang games.

Personally past few years games haven't lived up to what I hoped for many of them. Not to say they weren't a "good game", they just don't hold my attention as well as they did and the stories are lacking substance. The media and all the advertising now a days show you all these cool moments of the games getting everyone hyped up about it. That within its self sort of ruins the games. They rarely live up to how epic they are advertised as or you have to pay extra to see the epic parts of a game.

tl:dr video games aren't dying, all the old gamers are just jaded from our childhoods

People falling for hype and pretty graphics with no soul behind them.

I'm still not sure what the problem is with the owners of a company creating whatever they want with it but we shall have to agree to disagree.

I think you need to read up on the history of capitalism and the various events that led us to believe regulation was a very good idea.

Us 90 kids am I right?

Nothing says jealousy more than posts like this.

Not that poster but I only pirate Ubisoft games, haven't bought a single game from them since AC: Brotherhood.

Some game companies really don't deserve the money.

>See this
>Decide to check Baldurs Gate duration
>80h on completionist according to gamefaqs

Jesus Christ I must have played that game for at least three times that when I was a kid and I definitely didn't get bored with it.

sony ps2 onwards

Wait, an actually well made, thought-out post?
ON FUCKING Cred Forums?
>Only 1 reply
Hang on, we're ok then

Fanboys.

Waifufags, brand loyalists, furries, etc. People who will buy shit no matter how bad the gane is.

>the new meme is defending undertale
>because liking undertale first was cool
>but then tumblr kids liked undertalr, so hating it was cool
>then Cred Forums hated it so liking it was cool

Can people stop trying to be a fucking special snowflake already?

We already went full meta cycle

Casuals who spend 10 or 15 minutes/day gaming and at the same time believe they should get a full experience at such small amounts of time.

Basically people who fueled the production of games like Uncharted and Tomb Raider and other games with shallow gameplay.

Also the same people who get too easily offended by "extreme" violence and foul language and basically demand the easiest, most PC, smoothest experience possible.

Games won't die but they may get so malformed in the future that most "hardcore" people won't even bother.

Indies are fine. Some are great, others are shit. Many don't cater to casuals in the slightest. That's fine.

>posts FFVII
>babies first video game with shallow, unrewarding combat and more watching than playing.

It's not dead, it's you that's dead, well dying.

Gaming's changed and it's mostly shit but your anger is irrelevant. Casuals own games now.

We're all dying.

the regressive left, numales, trust fund babies, women, whatever you want to summarize them as

>how do we prevent the death of video games?
start practicing necromancy because it's too late to prevent anything

Fear of piracy is more damaging to the industry than piracy itself.

It does reward you with experience money and items. I don't have any idea what you're going on about.

Kekd and spot on impersonation of a JRPG autist

>The Witcher 3 is bad meme

lol, classic

Why does this image consist mostly of late 90s vidya? Where's shit like Donkey Kong Country, Sanic, etc.?

>just now realizing the sprite is Link holding a beige sword in his right hand, and a green shield in his left

I always thought the shield was a sword or some shit

I never though there would be days I'd fondly look back at PS1 and N64 era graphics.

I didn't care much about them then, but the abstract presentation has an appeal totally lost in bland but better looking games today.

>stop with the greentext faggotery
lol this guy

Why is Link rocking with his boner out?

/thread

indie isn't usually 60 bucks. especially shovelware ones

Bit of an exaggeration, but yeah damn near.

Let me think of 2016 (possibly) worthwhile games:

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
Deus Ex
Doom (wonder if someone can mod out some of the dubstep in it)
Overwatch

What else can we add to the list?

inb4 all shit.

The popularity of Internet has broken our Illusion of a lot of things we thought they were great but were not objectively, every opinion posted somewhere will instantly come to our brain as a reliable source of our taste, I can't really explain this but a lot of casuals claim new AAA games are great because they are not brainwashed with reviews nor internet posters' comments. Check out MGS2, it greatly tells how society and culture works now in my opinion.
TL;DR: we all are brainwashed by internet and social media