Why do the paper mario games usually have more interesting settings than other mario games?

Why do the paper mario games usually have more interesting settings than other mario games?

>regular nintendo

>grass
>desert
>snow
>Jungle
>ice
>sky
>bowser's castle

>thousand year door
>18th century style main hub
>medevial level
>psychedellic forest
>whole city based on WWE
>twilight woods
>pirates
>luxury level
>russia/moonbase

and the first paper mario did the traditional settings much better than regular mario and also had that toy box level in it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QyoWkaHx84E&app=desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because EAD are fucking boring, lacking any sort of passion and imagination. What passion and imagination they once had has slowly faded away. R&D1 shouldn't have died.

The early Mario Parties had that thing going for it too. Seriously, what happened?

RIP Paper Mario
Color Splash has the same garbage as Sticker Star
>that feel when we will never have Paper Mario with the same RPG elements it once had because M&L stole the Mario RPG market from Paper Mario games

All of those locations aint got SHIT on the BeanBean Kingdom

The original M&L trilogy was good, but they should've left it at that and continued making traditional Paper Mario games.

Neither PM or M&L can compare to the holy grail that is SMRPG.

>Square as we knew it is dead
>No hopes for SMRPG2

God I just want Prince Peasley and a Breanbean Kingdom track in Mario Kart.

>Hm, Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi had a nice run but they should really stop now.
>Oh man, Intelligent Systems and Alphadream should collab to make a brand new kind of Mario RPG.
>Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam happens instead
And it ended up being my absolute least favorite Mario RPG.

>Square owns the right to my favorite IP
>They wont do shit with it

I don't understand why they won't sell the rights to Geno honestly. It's obvious they'll never use him again and Nintendo has showed multiple times they want to put him in more stuff.

What even happened to the M&L series? I loved the original trilogy, but there's something about Dream Team that turned me off from the series. I don't know if it's because of the art style or something else, but I couldn't bring myself to finishing the game with how bored I got from it.

>a story-focused rpg has a more interesting setting than a gameplay-focused platformers
Discovery of the year, OP. Also, the original Paper Mario's chapters were pretty generic too. You got grass, desert, spooky forest, toy box (not generic), lava, flower, ice, and bowser's castle.

I'm playing paper jam now and I feel like the combat is really fun but everything else sucks. It's a polished but very bland experience

SMRPG is ugly and not particularly fun. Paper Mario series is leagues ahead.

Nothing's more interesting than space.

the tutorials

Super Paper Mario had
>Pretty basic hub almost metroidvania in the way that you use newly acquired abilities to make progression to new areas.
>Grass, Mountain, Desert
>Mansion
>pixelated grass, underwater, giant tree, castle
>Space Maze, Gravity switching level
>caveman level, caveman underground level, underground flower HQ
>Chinatown, Nothing
>Practically hell, and heaven
>Dark Castle

The downside was that the level design feels poor pretty often.

Sure but those are big oversimplifications to the point where they don't do those locations justice.
>Bustling town, woods, grass, small village, dungeon
>Rocky desert, sand desert, Arabian town, hidden catacombs
>Spooky forest, mansion, ghost town, dilapidated fort
>Toy box
>Rain forest, trees, volcano, lava
>Flower, cloud, and sky
>Snowy land, snowy town, icy land, outpost, frozen palace
>Star sanctuary, Bowser's dungeons, Peach's overrun castle, Bowser in the Sky
Not even counting stuff like the sewer and the area beyond Peach's castle grounds.

bumpo

Color Splash at least has some cool environments from what's been shown.
>naval military base a la MGS
>haunted hotel
>roman coliseum
>purple skull island

They may not be the most creative worlds ever seen in a video game but they're much more interesting than anything from Sticker Star or NSMB.

You're over romanticising TTYDs settings.

>medevial level

Generic Mario Green field with a fort, Sticker Star arguably has a more unique World 1/Chapter 1 than it does since it has a Mountain range and a Windmill.

>psychedellic forest

Kind of interesting but the chapter itself is dull

>whole city based on WWE

Floating "town" which consists of an arena, a hotdog stand and a juice shop.

>twilight woods

A second forest, you spend half the chapter moving back and forth between the same 4 screens between a useless town and the tiniest dungeon in a Mario RPG.

>pirates

Generic jungle with a cave

>luxury level

Actually a unique set-up

>russia/moonbase

Some dumb snow town with backtracking the chapter. The Moonbase is ok.

To be honest I think you're underselling Color Splash because it looks like it has loads of unique areas.

Got a link to the video that image is from?

It's not in english but here:

youtube.com/watch?v=QyoWkaHx84E&app=desktop

Thank you.

>Huey flips upside when sad
Heh, cute.

>unique
Eh, that place looks like something from Luigi's Mansion.

This game looks beautiful visually, It just has to be better than Sticker Star though.

>it just has to be better than Sticker Star
>just
No, no it doesn't. It needs to be a LOT better. In fact it needs to be at the same level as the first 2 Paper Mario games to even warrant its existence.

Nearly everything about CS is an improvement over SS to some degree other than the fact that bosses require Things in order to beat them, which make them more like glorified puzzles than a boss fight.

Nintendo did a lot of crazy shit during the Gamecube era in general. Mainline Mario that gen was so different that people were weirded out by it and told them to tone it down.

Then Nintendo toned it down a little too much.