Will the big Sub fee games ever die?

Will the big Sub fee games ever die?

Talking about the big three: RuneScape, WoW, and EvE.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UxLe2vsZbao
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WoW will likely start to lose players over time like it does at the end of every expansion release. Then Blizzard will release another X-pack and population will pick up again. This can only happen a few more times, though.

Runescape, on the other hand, has it's niche by the fucking balls. Name one other MMO with the Runescape skill system? The quests alone will keep it alive if they don't fuck up to badly.

EvE... I actually don't have an opinion on.

>still no hedgefund babbies trying to make 2unescape and profit off of disenfranchised efficiancy/grindfags, culling the population until only questfag master race remains
what does one have to do

I have no idea why other MMOs haven't tried to capture the RuneScape skill system.

Hell, not even the fucking ELDER SCROLLS MMO has a skill system like RuneScape.

>Hell, not even the fucking ELDER SCROLLS MMO has a skill system like RuneScape.

And this was its largest mistake

Eve is actually doing free to play soon with alpha clones. It's highly limited, but it's still free.

Yeah, but it's honestly more like an EvE version of WoW's "Free until level 20" thing.

Can someone briefly explain what's unique about Runescape's skill system?
Because isn't it just grinding the same actions like in a Bethesda game, and getting a few more abilities along the way?

The stats affect dice rolls for damage, defense, etc. Heavily focused on grindan tho. PKing (PvP) is a min-maxing wet dream.

>runescape
>eve
>over ff14
??

That's pretty much it.
The style of having multiple skills to level up instead of just gaining one kind of exp that improves everything is just less frequently used.

Ruinedscape does have minigames and distractions/not-as-grindy things to help get some more exp. I think part of its appeal was that because almost every skill was slow and grindy, you could talk to other people grinding alongside you. It was sort of a glorified chat room with some cool quests.

XIV is relatively young. The other titles are big as in they have over a decade of history and simply will not die.

I'm actually playing the game right now, so I could probably go into details.

The main draw RuneScape has for me is the skill system. It's the only MMO that lets me be all "What do I feel like doing today" and having no barriers on that choice.

Do I want to just go fishing for a bit? All I have to do is walk up to a fishing spot and click on it. Make mad money if I'm catching something like Lobsters.

Do I want to fish AND cook? All I need to do that is logs in my inventory to craft a fire.

Do I want to grind a little and get my defence up? All I need to do is walk up to a group of mobs and I can do whatever-the-fuck for hours.

Get bored of melee? Grab a staff, cast some magic. No nonsense like having to switch classes, respec, etc.

It's the only MMO, in my opinion, with TRUE freedom in what you want to do. ESO honestly came close, but ESO still has a class system, and you still have to respec every time you want to change your combat style.

OldScape has great quests and world building, but the combat skills and shit are so bad. Also, skills like Construction and Hunter can suck a dick.

This 100%
No other mmo gives that sense of freedom.

>Had the urge to resub to runescape lately and see how everything has changed in the decade I haven't played
>/rsg/ is cancer and none of my friends are interested

Theres no way in hell I'd play a month of this game solo, but I want to go back

>Hunter
how did they manage to combine the wait time of mining/woodcutting/fishing with the need to constantly be clicking of agility/runecrafting/thieving
how did they make it so fucking painful
why does it exist
why the fuck does that vampire quest require something like 76 in it when there wasn't a single instant where it was used holy shit I am still mad

Runescape is pretty much a solo game, though.

>Rune$cape
is this a thing? making something so obvious no one thinks to make fun of it?

RuinScape is the normal term.

I'll also add that Runescape doesn't normally suffer from gear grinds.

You get full Rune? Done. No more gear grinding.

ESO gets an update every few months that changes the meta and causes players to feel the need to go out and grab the new "Best" gear set.

Yeah, but you're always at risk of dropping full rune upon death.

Nah. You can protect items and keep them when you die now. You basiclly pay death (The NPC) to grab your shit for you.

All this talk about freeform and classes and such... The only true locked in place class style MMO I've completely loved is City of Heroes.

The most freeform mmo I've loved is a tossup between original star wars galaxies and ultima online. UO had the fun as shit PvP system with the community aspect built in. City of heroes I never had problems being so very limited and locked into class because rolling a new alt was a major aspect of the game to create a new hero doing whatever. it did classes so very very right and I'm upset it's gone to this day. SWG I gave my time to until they forced classes on us, and the freeform skill grind to make your own archetype was gone for good. All to make it more like wow to get those subscribers. And all it did was kill the game instead of convert wow players over.

Yeah, the non-quest gameplay of OldScape nowadays is so trash - even the mini-games aren't that fun anymore since it's long past its peak in popularity. Now that I think about it, the whole reason grinding used to be tolerable in RS was because it basically turned a quarry/woods/fishing spot into a glorified chatroom and let people talk about random shit. Now that most of the crowd is gone, you have way less motivation to do anything anymore.

Actually, it's largest mistake was not making the game one of the most player driven experiences possible.

how do your client look like this?
i want that old style UI

Is runescape (3) even worth going back to, I only did a small fraction of the member's content, by the time I had money to pay for stuff I lost interest

Game settings>Interface>Legacy UI

I like it, but I'm probably just enjoying because there's honestly no alternative.

eve is going to have an unlimited free "trial" starting november :^)

>RS3
lol

all MMOs are garbage tbqh, the only acceptable option is private servers so you can get the itch out of your system then forget about it for another year or two

RS3 is better.

Content is king.
RS3 has better content, as well as more of it.

I couldn't give a fuck if someone has anime wings, ironman is still fun as shit.

>not knowing they're making 2nscape

Get fucking hyped.

DarkScape was best.
All the content of RS3, totally for free, and people would actually talk to each other since you needed to gang up for protection.
It was sick as hell to meet up with people and go quest together because anywhere players needed actual gear was full of pkers. That oracle skill was actually super useful for once too because of the 3 seperate banks you would really need something that instantly teleports materials when it was so dangerous to hang out in the major gathering/fishing spots.

I completely agree, but it's gone now.

It's been an entire year now since DarkScape user.

Was it super unpopular or did they realize the problem with giving it away for free?
Man, I had to hire 3 guys to help me finish Bwo Wannai Trio because the whole of Karamja is just full of rampaging maniacs.

It's a shame too because I'm half interesting in doing the new quests but I don't really like the revamped graphics or music and I'm sure not going to pay for it.

They didn't fucking advertise it at all.

It wasn't just part of the main game.

If they advertised it like Deadman.
If they put it on the serverlist like Deadman.
If they had seasons like Deadman.

Woulda gone better.

RS3 graphics makes me physically sick

why couldn't they have just fucking left it alone? there isn't even 2007 anymore because retards voted to add the ezmode exchange, and Cred Forumsscape is just an autistic circlejerk

and here we have the nostalgiafag.

fuck off, take off the rose tinted glasses, and grow up.

EvE's free trial is actually quite extensive, you get access to all tech 1 stuff, though you are limited to your own races ships and skills and your skills train at a slower rate than of a paid subscriber / someone with plex.

Meaning you can probably still do security missions all the way to l3 and you aren't limited in terms of where you can travel.

WoW's been f2p for over a year now. Tokens are cheap as fuck, and from what I hear, it's easy as shit to make fast gold in Legion. Tokens in the US have been ~35k, which you can very easily make within the 30 days.

>Having to buy the box+X-pack
>F2P

>Having to play at least a few hours every month to keep your account paid for
>F2P

Yeah, nah.

enjoy your bankstanding simulator

being able to buy gametime with ingame currency isn't exactly f2p, a new player is still going to have to pay a subscription for at least a couple of months, not to mention the latest WoW expansion

literally fighting a big ass spider with my buddy right now famalambhorgini.

34k gold average on US realms
71k gold average on EU realms

>Thread OP asks question
>Thread becomes RuneScape General on Cred Forums.

Can we all just agree that RuneScape gets a free pass here? We all know we have Nostalgia Goggles on for it, and I don't honestly think we actually care.

FFXI still has its sub fee. Must be the most profitable game for SE at this stage

What the fuck is this

>lobsters
>big money

M8

I'm low level. I have no fucking clue what makes money and what doesn't. I just remember how I got rich as fuck back in high school.

>those stats
>1m
What the fuck? Is it that easy to get money now?

Some guy randomlly walked up to me and gave me 1m. Not even joking.

He was all "Is that your main" I said yeah, and he just traded me 1m.

He said the devs made him mad, so he was giving money away.

This shit sounds exactly like EVE Online

Yes, but RuneScape is a diffrent setting. Fantasy MMOs always sell/do better than Science Fiction MMOs.

You must have at least 100 active players to be considered an MMO

Psst, hey kid
Want bond?

This is around 6:00AM EST

>Lithuania
>150

What the shit?

fishing isn't good till monks and even then you might as well do slayer

WoW can survive with as little as a million players and not have to perform any server merges from the standpoint they are at, in fact during the end of WoD when they were at 5 million players they were still making more money then they did with 13 million player peak at Wrath.

Runescape is down to 40000 players
EVE is down to 20000 players
Both are niche at this point. They were never as big as WoW or any mmo for that matter, closest is FFXIV, but XIV is hemorrhaging players and is at around 500,000 left.
Everquest 2 was never as popular as the original evercrack and evercrack dying was what gave room for WoW to succeed along with WoW being marketed as a lighter version of evercrack.

I hope this clear up the simple truth that WoW can only kill WoW.

>Runescape is down to 40000 players
Good thing it's likely cheap as shit to run and develop for. They're probably still making profits.

They pulled an RS3 once, and are honestly heading that way with osrs. I'm not hopeful for the next three years of OSRS.

>PvP
>mini games like Pest Control
>House Parties
>Upcoming raids

M8....

I miss darkscape so much. I can't stand RS3, but somehow Darkscape was even better than OSRS.

Nah, fuck that shit. Runescape is pretty gay to be honest. The grind alone just fucks the game up for me. The constant repetition. Can't believe I wasted my childhood on that crap from the early days of 2000 - 2003 when Runescape was still 2D.

I also don't see what is so wrong with a class based system either, where you force the players in choosing a role for themselves to roleplay their character. You play an RPG for that reason, of course with much customization in between where you can choose what you want to level up in tradeskills and how you want to play your class. This enforces a player economy. When you are given the option to do many shit at once instead of promoting professions and specialization, you're pretty much stuck with what this user said , you have no incentive to socialize, you can do everything the game provides you with, you have no purpose to interact with the rest of the community (this was fucked when Runescape implemented the bazaar since nobody needed to trade with one another in chat), it pretty much becomes a solo focused game.

Just look at the success of Everquest. It was literally perfect. Wizards had the ability to teleport people all over the world and Shamans had SOW providing an economy for fast travel, Druids had the ability to bind players to death spawns and locations, Enchanters are the only class that can enchant armor and jewelry, and Necromancers had the ability to summon your corpse to your location. Classes and restricting players by chosen professions and tradeskills give the world a booming player world that feels more alive and interactive. Everyone depends on everyone.

Somewhat curious about the situation with XIV, as I used to play and was thinking about returning for the new raids. So what's up with the game at the moment?

Is eve fun? Kinda tempted to try it.

this was for this guy.

Too many osrs shitters here

What I'm actually saying is, take a look at Asheron's Call, you can pretty much make the class you want and fit the class with whatever distribution of attributes and skills, with restrictions. You have a certain amount of exp you get to max. You can decide whether you want to focus on certain skills to be an expert making a profession out of it, or just dump the shit all over the place and be the jack of all trades and be pretty much average because you decided to do everything instead of spending time mastering something.

This is all the freedom I need. It provides not only different playstyles, but the customization without the retarded "you can do it all! everything!". This is an RPG.

WoW is already F2P to me except for expansions.

I make one engineer mount a month and it pays for my wow token twice over.

>You will never play the OLD OLD Runescape, during the year 2000, when the plans they had for Runescape was to turn it into an Ultima Online flash game where there was no wilderness, everyone could attack one another on the open, people formed bandit parties from Lumby to Varrock and made you drop your shit, and guards had a purpose and attacked pvpers who killed a player in a city.

I feel bad for you.

I just play vscape ironman. Its like playing osrs members wo paying, and since vscape has like 30 players ironman is no problemo

Darkscape?

i heard that chinese mining company was buying jagex for 300m. did this actually happen or did it fell through?

No. Games die because they stop being profitable. Some people are incredibly autistic and they keep their wow sub going even if all they do is ERP in Goldshire. Wow private servers could survive with just 1k$ a month, keeping the servers online would be profitable even if only a thousand players had the sub. Maybe even less. Additionally, blizzard is known for keeping their old games online forever. You can still play d2 and wc3 online even though Blizzard makes no money off them.

Sure, they would have to merge servers until only one remained, but they would not die.

But that's when I started, and I love to see how the game has evolved over the years, although some of it's core aspects have vastly deviated from their origin.

there's no worse feeling than having your favorite MMO die, thanks FUncom

>poorfags wants to play the big games for free

>tfw all my friends left the game when the new combat system came out
>tfw I fucking loved it and knew for a damn fact that they just didn't enjoy change.
>tfw they gave me over 400m gold collectively
>tfw I have everything I ever wanted in the game, but no one to share it with.

WoW will go F2P before it dies, surely, but even that may be a long way off. Despite a bunch of big names all leaving Blizzard at the same time, on top of the big names that have left in the past couple years, Legion still sold really well.

Multiboxing + '''''balance''''' + tower changes + the entire population being full of 15 year old who gear their characters with the help of egpal.

This game is better off dying

thx funcom

youtube.com/watch?v=UxLe2vsZbao

If I wanted to play a shitty version of WoW I'd play a cata private server.

The original combat was so much better.

They have the original combat. Just switch to "Legacy Combat" in options.

>be dutch
>9 year old in the glory year of 2001
>dont have english classes yet
>dont know shit about the english language
>find out about runescape
>fall in love with it when i first played
>dont know what existing user means
>make a new account every single day

God I miss those days

So then I'm playing the original, with the poor balance of legacy, and the predominatly shitty updates of 2008onwards and everything looks like playdough.

I tried legacy. I'm desperate to do the quests in the game that aren't available in oldschool. I just couldn't.

When you first join it is. You get all of the missions they throw at you so you can experience every part of the game. Missions, mining, anomolies, trading, etc. Only thing you don't get is the pvp experience. But that's easily obtained by joining a corporation.

Once you're done with the "introductory" missions if you don't see something where you were like holy fuck that was cool I wanna do that forever, you probably won't like the game.

FF14 has twice as many subscribers as EvE.

FF11 is older than all three games, still on a sub fee, and still has a decent amount of players.

But this was probably a bait thread anyway.

>a new account every day

I played the game at around the same age but even i knew how an account system worked, what the fuck

What, it's not like that anymore? I already outgrew this game when I was 10 in 2000 but killing random people or getting killed was easily the most fun part.

I don't know what you're saying. I haven't played RS3 since the combat change which i guess was rs3 right?

wait, why'd the get rid of darkscape?

>lithuania

is that a new country or what?

Not enough players

are you retarded

the Kingdom of Lithuania, was created on 6 July 1253

Was absorbed into CCCP in the 40's. Break up of CCCP caused it to become an independent nation in 1991

some african shithole sounds like lmao