Will a 1070 be good enough for 1080p 144hz gaming?

Will a 1070 be good enough for 1080p 144hz gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.anandtech.com/threads/unreal-engine-4-kite-demo-custom-uncapped-benchmarks-fraps.2436779/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yep.

If you're still using a 1080p60hz display then you're a fucking idiot if you buy anything other than a 1060, if you're not planning on upgrading your monitor in 2 years.

If you've already got the 144hz display you'll need the 1070.

Dont't listen to retard above.

It highly depends on what do you mean by
>1080p 144hz gaming

Are you talking about modern eye-candy games like Rise of Tomb Raider and Witcher 3? You want to run them on Ultra @ 144fps?

The answer is no.

But if you talk some TF2, L4D2, CSGo, dota2 and other gfx-lightweight stuff then yes

Source: me, owner of GTX 1070

Definitely want to pimp out AAA games. I can live with 1080p 60hz.

I have a 1070 and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I get around 60 to 100 fps in games maxed out at 1440p, so I think it should be good for 1080p 144hz.

Then play AAA games at High-Medium or buy a 1080, because a 1070 isn't enough to max out modern games at 1080p 144FPS.

>I can live with 1080p 60hz.
If your masterplan is to run pretty AAA at around ~60fps and some competitive games at 144fps/144hz then yes, you can for sure.

In fact, this is how it should be in this case.

More than that, running these "AAA games" at 60 fps on 144Hz display is actually better then running them at 60Hz display. You can swicth to 120HZ and use adaptive vsync/vsync OR limit fps to 60 to have BUTTER-SMOOTH SHIT with 0.001% tearing

I've got 1070 and as long as you don't go full retard with antialiasing and other worthless stuff you can get Ultra textures and jazz with at least 120fps on Witcher 3

>antialiasing and other worthless stuff

What is your CPU and RAM?
GTX 1070 not OC?

You're an idiot if you think that 1060 will be enough for 1080p60fps on ultras.

144Hz is possible on light games, but on AAA games often time your CPU will limit the max framerate by bottlenecking the GPU.

t. 1080 1440p 144Hz gamer

what are some games that really benefit from a high frame rate?

the only thing I can think off of the top of my head is rocket league. going from 144 down to 60 seems like a slideshow

I don't have any interest in playing competitively in games, I'd much rather just have a nice picture for all the games I enjoy. I'm looking at an IPS monitor for a good all around experience.

What's your CPU? An i7 6700k is going into this rig.

Every game benefits from a higher frame rate, it's a better experience.

But I guess the only games that objectively benefit from it would be fast games like CS, COD, and Rocket League like you mentioned.

144Hz IPS display? you sure?
it will cost ya fortune

>An i7 6700k is going into this rig
i7 6700 is great choice

>tfw just bought a 1060

Every benchmark I've seen has shown it performs beautifully at 1080p/60fps for current games. Why do you think otherwise?

Nigga, I'm doing that with a 780

No you're not.

Yes, yes I am

No if I go 60 hz it's going to be ips. That a my concern that at my price range all these monitors are labeled strictly as gaming and if movie watching and work doing is going to be an issue then I'm looking at this monitor as more of a temporary piece.

i5-6600k and 16gb of DDR4

Haven't bothered to OC yet

Not him but you are not

I'm struggling to run RoTR TRULY maxed out (1080p) @ stable 60 fps on my 1070 GTX

So please

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but it can just barely manage 1080/60 max settings in games that are a year old. Performance is only going to get worse.

> as long as you don't go full retard with antialiasing and other worthless stuff

>No if I go 60 hz it's going to be ips.
I suggest then try to find IPS display that you can overclock at leasts to 72HZ from 60. Believe me it i s WORTH it

>That a my concern that at my price range all these monitors are labeled strictly as gaming and if movie watching and work doing is going to be an issue
I don't understand this meme. Elaborate

What freq DDR4 running on? Standard?

But yeah the reason you are capable of getting 120 fps with GTX1070 is probably your combination of CPU and RAM. I'm still on DDR3 and core i7 3770k.

Oh

Considering my current rig struggles to run 9 year old games, I don't think I'll have much of a problem with occasionally dipping below 60fps in The Witcher 3.

Nigga all those games can be run at 1080p 144hz on my old gtx 670

kek

Then you are clearly a retard that doesn't know how to optimise games. Please stop posting

you also gotta take into account game optimisation.

A lot of recent games run like shit despite looking like shit due to poor optimisation.

I'm not interested in your 40-50 flactuations and microstutter. 1070 is the way to go.

>Getting nvidia when Vega is around the corner

>Then you are clearly a retard that doesn't know how to optimise games.
>optimise games
>optimize
>people here talking about true ULTRA with no compromises
>oprimize

kek
I see now you are just a dumb autistic retard who can't read

Is a GTX 970 a decent graphics card, or is there a better alternative for roughly the same price? Looking to upgrade from my 660ti.

Volta is around the corner too with NvLink and new memory design so what?

>1 game
user, I'm on a GTX 970 and I get 1080p 60FPS max settings on almost every game. The only exception I've found so far is Rise of the Tomb Raider. While I haven't tested it, I assume this is also the case for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. But other than these two games, even a 970 is enough to max out most modern games. I can play DOOM at 1080p 60FPS max settings. I can play Halo 5 at 1080p 60FPS max settings. And this is on a 970. The 3.5 meme card.

Nice camera OP but how is it gonna take screenshots?

List your specs

Then list the game you play on real, truly maxed out settings (no compromises like Texture and Shadows ultra but objects on Very High).

i will show you the real benchmarks with the same ulltra presets on much more powerful platform to prove you are full of shit.

1080p/1200p

>Then list the game
the gameS

Will the 1080ti be the king of 1440p 144hz? Or should I just wait until Volta.

The 1060 3gb is the best value for your buck.

I will list only games released this gen or late last gen that I've played on PC:
DOOM
Halo 5 Forge
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Sonic: Lost World
Lost Planet 3
Alien: Isolation

>1440p 144hz
Should be doable in most 2016 AAA games

>I will list only games released this gen or late last gen

Ahahaha dat backpedaling

>Halo 5 Forge
ABSOLUTELY nothing special about the GFX of this one
>Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
2015, year old game, made with 970-980 GTX in mind

>Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
2015, year old game, made with 970-980 GTX in mind

>Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
2 year old game I was running it butetr smooth on 670GTX

>God Eater 2: Rage Burst
I still not sure if this a good PS2 or bad PS3 game? The GFX are like form 2004

>Sonic: Lost World
>Lost Planet 3
My sides.

>Alien: Isolation
Was getting 60 PS on 670

user please.
Try to find AAA games with actual graphics and not some ancient outdated shit that was designed to run on the GPUs of their generation back then when my grandpa was young and beautiful.

Then I may be will take you seriously.

Oh, and throw in Resident Evil Revelations 2. Its somewhat graphically impressive and recent.

>Its somewhat graphically impressive and recent.

Is it just wishful thinking or have we really reached a benchmark for graphics wise, I'm sure people say this with every generation but we're on the verge of photorealism, and where can we go beyond that in the hardware can manage it?

Am getting hopefully a 1080 and a i5 6600k what monitor should I get fellas I was thinking 1080p 144hz as a safe bet

>Is it just wishful thinking or have we really reached a benchmark for graphics wise
What's that supposed to mean?

>where can we go beyond that in the hardware can manage it?
forums.anandtech.com/threads/unreal-engine-4-kite-demo-custom-uncapped-benchmarks-fraps.2436779/

Here is the KITE dev demo with uncapped FPS
Go ahead and tell me how impressive your 40-50 fps in the field on your 1080GTX

Believe me there is long road ahead yet:

>fair real-time raytracing (currently only in tech demo)
>nvidia gameworks stuff and advancd physics onacceptable FPS
>next generation of VXAO
etc etc

I noticed you ignored DOOM
Also I don't understand; a game made within the last year or so is about as relevant as it gets; Was your intention for me to list games that came out only this year that are extremely graphically intensive? There aren't that many.
>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
>Rise of the Tomb Raider
.....Anything else? I can't list off games I haven't played either. But your original statement is that a 1060 isn't enough for 1080p 60FPS at max settings. That seems like a general statement referring to video games in general. Wouldn't games like Rise of the Tomb Raider be strange outliers? Most modern games run fine on a 970. I'd argue modern as anything released within, say, the last 5 years.

Meant to reply to

I see.

Well glad to know I'll be dropping hundreds of dollars on new GPUs reliably for the rest of my life. When are we going to get a card that can do 144hz 4k gaming.

1080 for 1080p 144hz is kind of a waste of the cards power imo. I'd go for 1440p

It alreadly is.

1060 is good enough for that shit. you idiots keep making these threads everyday.

I have a 1070 @ 1440p / 165hz.

Heavy games like TW3 require you to tweak a few settings, but I'm still getting 80+ fps and frankly, past 90fps I can't tell much of a difference, unless I'm running games at the full 165fps (which is possible with older titles/stuff like overwatch with the graphics cranked down)

>I noticed you ignored DOOM
Yeah, I forgot to quote it. Same line as for HALO 5- it does not look graphically impressive nor it was the aim of the developers. They wanted to make fun game with acceptable graphics. I replayed Crysis 3 fromancient 2011 recently and it looks way better.

Now, regarding:
>Also I don't understand; a game made within the last year or so is about as relevant as it gets; Was your intention for me to list games that came out only this year that are extremely graphically intensive? There aren't that many.

I was talking about GFX intensive games. Only a few of them are from 2015 (rare exception) the rest are 2016 and upcoming. You have to understand user, unless you are filfthy richfag you don't have chance to swap your GPU every year.
Games like:
RoTR
Witcher 3
Deus Ex
Battlefield 1
That new Star Wars
Mirror's Edge 2
Obduction
X-COM2
FAR CRY Primal
Quantum Break
Dying Light EE (2015 but it is very gpu heavy by this moment)
+ uplcoming like Dishonored 2 etc

If we talk about real 60 fps stable on Ultra with no stupid compromises in some options or aspects like this retard was talking about Then you won't really be able to run all of them on 1080p FULLY maxed out for pretties picture on stable 60fps

>the new Star Wars
I forgot about this one; I played the beta.
Star Wars: Battlefront runs at 60FPS 1080p on max settings on a GTX 970.

Yeah I can believe in this one particular. I was debating if I should add it.

Good shout SENPAI what about ultra wide

>ultra wide

We are talking gayming not ur mom's vagina

yes I'm using one right now

So what does this mean? I'm going to build a new computer but holding out on the gpu. What specs should I get such as PSU, Mobo, and cpu should I get so I can buy them on Cyber Monday and be ready when the vega comes out?

>bought a 970 just before the 1060 came out
just fucking kill me
it does everything i want but still, fuck

Is it bad that i've just left my gpu on a dresser for like a month?

so you mean not putting it on ultra then?

i7-4790k
25460x1440 144hz here.

Basically OP Id buy a 1080, also dont g0 1080p get the 1440, you will regret it otherwise in the long run