nice shitpost!

Longsword

>tfw you unironically like using Katana in vidya

>The Grosse Messer

What do I win?

A piece of rebar

太刀

Bitch.

You can't end your opponent rightly with an katana.

Tachi

Lern erstmal Deutsch, du Spast.

Fuck off with your weeb shit

Whats the purpose of the sheath here? you can't fit the sword in that, and even if you could, you would need to have someone else to hold it for you.

> tfw we are in the post- post katana age, where people re-realize katanas are the greatest swords of all time, and realize (again) that European sword advocates are the REAL autists

it's been a long time kummin baby.

mycelium

Also you niggas are all holding the sword wrong.
That's the correct way to use a sword.

Name a better hat

So you can carry it without cutting your back, I guess.

I will believe it when I see it.

Panama

You can't actually put the sword on your back.
not even shortass swords.
This huge monstrosity you probably can't even sidecarry it.

>Name a better sword than the Katana
>Posts a mace

Nice job user.

Did I hear a bitch nigga asking for sexy swords?

Sombrero.

Maces are superior in almost every way

A mace is just a katana that has been folded a trillion times by glorious western craftsmen.

You can put short swords on your back, just not standard ones.
Also you're always going to be in danger of cutting your neck while unsheathing it.
It's just kind of a terrible idea all around, i have no idea how it became so widespread.

You can't draw the sword from your back. If you only want to carry it then whatever.

Got it

>swords
How cute.

Leaf bladed a best

What are you gae?

khopesh 4tw

Get alone with this against a swordman and you're properly fucked.
Those are meant to be in a wall where you side friend spikes the guy you distract and you spike the guy your other sidefriend distracts and so forth.

such a lust

"m'geisha"

m'geisha

m'geisha

m'geisha

m'geisha

m'geisha

European Katana

even weebs can make better things then actual nips

ye

Oh god he actually thinks- AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT

Why not just blow you up?

The sword guy will just hit your tip, which will be pushed a fuckload away due the leverage, rush into you and cut your throat, unless you can quickly drop lance and pick your own sword, which is WHY most lanceguys also had swords.

TENJO TENGA
NENDO
BAKUSAI KEN

I don't understand, any sword would just cut a fucking spear in half unless the pole is metal. Also I'll just bring my american guns and kill all you retarded virgins

>It's just kind of a terrible idea all around, i have no idea how it became so widespread.
Rule of cool.
There's always one thing or another retarded in every designs, but it look balling so people go fuck it.

Falcatas

Greek fisherman's cap

youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

>blade and grip specifically designed to guide the incoming strikes to your fingers

Peaked cap.

>no no that's wrong you're only allowed to hit with the point! hitting with the other parts of the weapon are cheating!

its my rock hard 12 inch cock
all you subfoot losers get the fuck off my board and quit playing with your meatgrinders

While the user you're responding to is being a fucking retard, a shorter spear is pretty viable against a lone swordsman.
Not every spears are giant-ass poles.

youtu.be/Ixm6sXe1TYE?t=135

Indeed indeed.

A sword with a small crossguard is elegant, but no crossguard just looks silly and vulnerable..

dont link lindybeige you fucking pseud, hes entertaining but isnt very accurate or smart.

"... look at this swordsman here. He's got a sword and shield..."
>sword and shield
>sword and SHIELD

What is it like being retarded? Does it hurt?

Hell, it's even advantageous if we're talking unarmored combat. Without a solid defense like shield or armor, reach is huge.

>one of the best weapons in a one on one unarmored duel
>somehow losing to a sword
>The sword guy will just hit your tip, which will be pushed a fuckload away due the leverage
The spear guy has tremendously more leverage than the sword guy due to simple physics
>rush into you and cut your throat
The spearman chokes up on the spear to fight in close range and impales the swordsmen faster than his feet can carry him into sword range
>cutting through a solid ash shaft when it's being waved around through the air and also simultaneously avoiding being impaled

I don't know why that guy decided to start the spearfag circlejerk but you guys can't seriously compare a sidearm like a sword favorably to a polearm in a dueling context.

We need to go bigger.

>The sword guy will just hit your tip, which will be pushed a fuckload away due the leverage, rush into you and cut your throat, unless you can quickly drop lance and pick your own sword, which is WHY most lanceguys also had swords.

The spear tip being further away from the person while having less leverage, it means that the tips can be moved faster. Also, controlling range with the spear is easier. It can be pulled back further or thrust further by using different grips.

Oh and as an added bonus here is my reply to whatever retarded shit you'll post defending your precious swords.

>>blade and grip specifically designed to guide the incoming strikes to your fingers

The kopis was either used by cavalrymen who would not stand there and fence, or hoplites using shields. There would be little parrying.

Gladius here.

What up bitch?

It's Monster Hunter so it's not like realism is what they're going for

>implying a spear fag wouldn't get cut through along with the spear by a competent swordsman

You are such a child

I really love the messer shape

Bump

>>tfw you unironically like using Katana in vidya

It's pretty damn sweet.

The loner character who only carries around a katana is good. It is such a single elegant system. No changing weapons mid fight. No parrying dagger, no bow, no throwing knives. No cluttered inventory. Just draw the weapon by pressing one button and go.

China did it first and better.

>Maces are superior in almost every way

With a shield, yes, I'd rather do the bashing thing. But the mace alone is slower than the sword due to balance and it's not as good for parrying.

The only actual sword that was ever truly effective throughout history

It doesn't have the elegant curve of a nihonto.

High frequency sword.
Get fucked.

Literally any european sword after 1300s.

Literally just a really big knife. It's heavy, unbalanced, has no crossguard or even a comfortable handle. It's a great gardening tool however.

High frequency katana. Checkmate.

>posts berserk
>calls anyone a child

> (You)

that prayer bonus was pretty sweet, though

coo is best animal friend prove me wrong protip: im cancer and so are prove me wrong threads

Katanas are pretty alright desu, they look nice and they do their job adequately. Fucking cultists ruined it by sperging out over their swordfu and anti-cultists sperged back.

The machete was one of the most devastating man weapons throughout history man. The raw power in each swing was enough to cut to the bone and dismember a person. It was the downward momentum power of an axe in a wide blade. Don't need fancy crossguard or elegant blade to protect when you're just getting chopped.

But what about when you need to block and they chop off your fingers because your machete is shit at blocking?

ma nigga

the kissogram

>assuming the enemy isn't bothering to fight back

He probably fights animal corpses everyday. Give him some slack.

Bayonet because it comes with a gun.

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

i'm wearing this right now and it's the stupidest fucking thing i've ever seen but since it's so comfy, even that's a better hat

Nothing is better than a claymore.

If you're fighting another person with a machete a cross guard is going to mean little to nothing if your wrist just cut clean off. You're thinking some fantasy medieval shit when in reality it only took a deep cut to end a fight. Machete was light enough to full sprint and swing. A katana, broad sword mean shit to a man running full aggro with weight advantage chopping at any open limb

See Its painful when people who have no idea what they are talking about start spewing "facts"

You make a compelling argument.

gets me every time lol

Sword-chucks yo!

Fuck you, that's clever.

Greatsword
What now faggot?

Cutlasses, sabers and rapiers for me.

I call!

It would be nice having a vidya in which you are the lonely wandering guy in a semi perilous world, where you fight some guys but there's always emphasis in how you treat your sword, as it's damaged by continous parries and clashing with other swords and it reddens with blood at every strike.

Which would hopefully be a system different from no man's sky "you need to use the menu to recharge the life system every 5 mins because survival bro", something that makes you have a relation with your sword and how it's both a terrible piece of iron used to separate men from their bodily fluids and a companion whose company you cherish in your lonely struggle through a solitary land.

That looks like it would be a pain to sharpen. Really not worth it as anything but decoration.

But not having a cross guard would mean quite a bit if his blade slides down and cuts your fingers off.

Imca pls go

But my weaponfu can stay r-right?

Sure, as long as I can have Imca.

>unsheathes longsword

Halberd Master Race reporting in

deal

Spear is literally the best medieval weapon
>Cheap and easy to make
>You can give a spear to any peasant and the will know how to use it
>Can go through armor easily
>1 stab and you are dead

was about to reply this but just noticed that it's pasta

What could go wrong?

Swords are already a pain to sharpen, it's really not much worse than a basic straight blade.

Name a better shirt.
you can't.

I like the Polish square shaped ones, forgot the name.

Has there ever been a more broken sword in vidya?

how can you even compete?

man, i love kingdom hearts, but i too just wish they didn't make a weapon as retarded as the keyblade.

My nigga

How do you even hold this

That's more a tool than a weapon.

Here's a counter to your sword.

You could just rename the original one and it would have work all the same.

Shit's gonna bend.

>stanless steel

>This sword is superior in every way
>"B-but it looks hard to sharpen, he he"

Stand back weebs, lets have a little class in our weaponry

>No matter how shitty they are, nothing changes the fact that you swing them like a fishing rod, since it's all about slicing the target, not hacking into them
>Every demonstration by a "weapon expert" on the internet shows them hacking the damn thing at a target as if it were a really long meat cleaver

It's not complete unless if you have the steel donut that goes with it.

>The loner character who only carries around a katana is good. It is such a single elegant system. No changing weapons mid fight. No parrying dagger, no bow, no throwing knives. No cluttered inventory. Just draw the weapon by pressing one button and go.

This sounds boring as fuck user.

>Even the japanese lunge into those tatami cuts
rule of thumb is, if the "professional" or "expert" is on youtube or history channel, they really aren't

>sword due to balance and it's not as good for parrying.
>Not as good for parrying

What the flying fuck user? Maces are made to shatter and destroy the shitty swords they fling at it.

You don't naturally have to parry shit with it.

I just want a proper game where you fight dudes with guns with a sword.

Metal Gear Solid Rising looked perfect for this but that just had to get cancelled.

user, there is a reason why they come in different lenghts and sizes.

You can also adjust your grip, alternatively throw it at your opponents face.

>look at this wanabees
Out of the way the 1911 of swords coming through.

basket-hilt broadsword

>the poortuguese, hungry and weak from months in the sea, still beat the living shit out of katana using faggots in Japan with their rapiers

Toppest of keks

>oraaahh Baka-gaijin!
>why you not go out of formation and fight honourabu?!

Wish I knew where this was from.

You are probably confusing the machete with the crossbow.

Which one of these became illegal to use due to sheer butthurt?

Code of Princess you retarded fucking namefag.

China has by far the coolest weapons, followed by india probably.

Granted, almost all of them are totally useless outside a single situation and require ridiculous amounts of practice to use properly, but they are cool as fuck regardless.

>meteor hammer
fuck yeah

Move the fuck over nee-san.

Looks gay, nigga.

>morrowind.jpg

Funniest part is that since the katana has to be used with 2 hands (unlike the Euro swords), you can use a smaller rapier with your off hand to deflect it (since the katana does not have enough weight fuck you up like a mace for example) and then you can poke the faggots to death.
All it takes is a accurate rapier poke to the hearth or lung.

Portuguese favored the use of the ropera but two handed swords were popular in Europe as well because of their effectiveness against pikemen.

an average poortuguese is probably a full head taller than jap manlets and has a natural reach advantage in addition to using superior weaponry and tactics

There is nothing particularly wrong with the Katana, but it isn't really an exquisite weapon either. Most critics go too far in their criticisms of the weapon.

Ultimately, it's just a heavy cavalry saber with a longer grip so that it can be used with two hands. Such swords existed in Europe (the Schweizersabel, or Schnepf, or the Messer) and were considered perfectly good weapons. There's nothing especially wrong with the idea. Obviously it worked well for them, or they'd have adopted something different. God knows the Japanese were perfectly willing to adopt foreign weapons--just look at the arquebus. Hell, they improved upon it, the Japanese were the first guys to put sights on the things.

If I had to choose a better sword though, I'd ask "what for."
Cavalry fighting? The Koncerz, or the Polish Szabla.
Fighting on foot? The German Longsword.

But you cannot fight on foot well with a saber, and you cannot fight mounted well with a longsword. The Katana was meant to do both. It has its niche.

battle-axe motherfuckers

That some fancy ass looking warriors.

They have ridiculous ideas for naming their weapons too. It's great.

>the first gun invented
>it's a pipe with gunpowder in it
>they call it the spitting dragon flame lance or some shit

awesome

also these
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xun_Lei_Chong
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huolongjing

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.

I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

Thanks M8

>you and spainbros will never rise up during the second reconquista and throw out brown gooks and yellow gooks
>you will never show up on their shores and destroy their forces on an empty stomach
Porque vives?

I am not even southern euro and I still know that feel

Vivo para abrir interrogantes con el signo apropiado y escribir "por qué" separado y con tílde si hago una pregunta. Vete a vivir con los moros, analfabeto.

weebfags can't even compete

>did she missed the first swing? Or did she just use it for the momentum
>tfw realization

>tfw no chinese sword in games

nips got CHALKED by superior white sword design

yeah that shit is not yataghan bruh

This is completely false and ypu are really stupid if this is how you think about the katana. Cutting a slab of steel like wtf are you smoking

The Kukri is the better blade anyway.

he is an elitist faggot who looks like a goblin, but he is mostly right
youtube.com/watch?=l2YgGY_OBx8

imho chinese longswords are more elegant than katanas

A giant ass zweihander bitch. You couldn't even get close with a katana

one of the best things the internet ever produced.

She cut it twice.

I know, hence realization.

anything western you fucking idiot
you fucking dingus

>You couldn't even get close with a katana

You sure about that?

is the MF blade even a katana ?
looks more like a slightly curved straightsword than anything

I came here waiting for this pasta to show up.

Okay now I'm intrigued. What the hell is that, and why did someone think to make it?

>this fucking thread

Here's the ultimate answer

Nigga if yer gonna say chainsaw at least say the best one..

But that's a gun user

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

nah, it's a chaingun

It's a chainsaw with a gun attachment.

Ulfberht. Damascus steel, forged and used by viking to fuck up your shit

>damacus steel

And a shit steel stamped out at a factory is stronger than that

Sword-whip

>10 years

is that pipe connected to a sharpened bumper.... lol nice

Ok real talk, would this be an actual efficient weapon?

serious question would the chain get derailed if someone tried to hit it?

>all these angsty westerners eager to take this quarter assed bait
Kek

hopefully breath of the wild goes in this direction with the master sword.

thy will be done

What are serious? This is like tradition on Cred Forums with those threads, not even memes anymore. You have to participate. It's like having turkey on thanksgiving.

Now, that's a fancy pizza cutter.

Whatever...

I feel like it would either skip off the flesh tearing out chunks or just get embedded.

no, the speed that chain would have to spin to make it effective and the gyroscopic effect of the chain would make it useless when trying to swing it. In game it prob good as fuk tho lol

>Maces are made to shatter and destroy the shitty swords they fling at it.
every single one of these threads always has at least one person talking about shit they know nothing about

why even come to these threads any more

that furry shit is painful to look at

the worst part is that the character looks human

The katana is easily one of the most situational weapons around, so your post is kinda weird.

>implying you know what you're talking about
>when it's more likely that you just watch skallameme or lindyfag and think that you're an expert
>all that on the video game board of an arctic oil drilling imageboard

i'm tons smarter than the guy who actually said maces are made to break swords

by the way you cant just break a sword

learn to use greentext your stupid faggot

>implying anyone knows anything
>implying manuscripts that have reached us are reputable sources
>implying you aren't a fucking retard that just wants to speak against something that makes your ass hurt
>implying I am not the same
>implying

Now that the list is complete you can fuck right off.

sledgehammer, great for backstabbing.

>the blade wielded by Vlad the Implier himself

>tfw even polish peasants could beat the best samurai because of their superior saber weapons

How could Ching Chongs even compete?

Those sabres were mostly wielded by Polish nobility though.

by the thickness of the tip, i suppose this sword is made very sturdily, to 'grab' the opponents sword with the spikes, and breaking the blade by twisting it.

Yet give the saber to a peasant and he becomes a king among nipnogs.

Let's try and get a definitive ranking of melee weapons by their edginess:
1.katanas
2.scythes
3.straight edged swords
4.claws
5.axes
6.maces
7.flails
8.spears
9.polearms
10.???

10. katanas

>not maining a morning star

You think Japanese peasants wielded katanas?

>Katanas over scythes
I'm sorry, shitting on them is well deserved but katanas takes precedence by the fact that they at least are real weapons.
Any character ACTUALLY using a scythe is doing it for the visuals only and NOT for practicality.

Yes, a scythe was made for farming and only perhaps doubled as a weapon when necessary.

make claws #3 and we have a deal

IIRC, they were popular weapons amongst peasants and farmers in a pinch because of how easily you can dehorse cavalry with them, because of their design; you'd just need to hold the blade out at the legs.

An even bigger katana!

>Year xx16
>not using a Buster Sword
Do you even save the Planet user?

nice paddle.

Katana+1

chainsaws are not for weapon

a kaiser blade mhm
some folks call it a slingblade

Does anyone know the name of that crafty Jew blade that springs out two additional blades so you can catch the cunt who's swinging at you with his sword with your sword's second or third blade?

It's pasta, faggot

>putting meme arrows on your blade

>Putting polearms that low

STEP ASIDE PEASANTS

Hello, user of good taste. I don't care that ninjato or 'shinobigatana'(for true weebs) have no historical value, I generally like them more than a katana. As a swordfag this is my favorite Jap sword to cut with. Straight blade is AESTHETIC to boot.

But Cloud didn't save the planet. The planet had to save itself.

I keep telling myself to stop being a weeb and stop adore the katana.

But they are just too beautiful.

Scottish Claymore
German Messer
Swiss Sabre

nice swiss sabre

Messer fags are the new katana fags, constantly bringing up the sub-par sword at every opportunity. They always use fullcaps and memes as well.

Your 'sword' is shit and you are to.

Are you implying katanas are balanced?

no, because good iron was shit in ancient japan - it was also shit metal to begin with. European and Mideastern swords has better quality material.

Where my pilum boys at?
Really is a shame the Romans were a bunch of fags
their army was cool as fuck

Nope, we've reached the age where the general Cred Forums populace has realized both sides are retarded and worthy of ridicule.

>Really is a shame the Romans were a bunch of fags

dude come on

messers are basically German falchions. anyone other that nobility were prohibited to own swords. still, many noble families used falchions and not swords. mercenaries and professional soldiers also preferred them.

the reason regular swords are in myths and legends is because they are associated with nobility. honeslt though, if i met someone on the European battle field id rather fight someone carrying a swords, because the guy with the running around with a falchion is the guy who kills for a living

no, wrong on so many levels
full European plate armor and chain mail is the pinnacle of melee combat. you need bashing weapons to defeat it. swords are only useful in prolonged engagements when warriors strip armor to deal with exhaustion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger#Swordbreaker

guess why they were called that.

>not wanting sword so sharp it cuts BETWEEN cells
>not wanting a sword that can behead a horse
>not wanting a sword that leaves bits of the blades stuck in the wounds
>not wanting a sword that has as much blunt force and weight behind it as it does cutting power
>not wanting a sword that dual functions as a club

why are some blades curved?

Katana is just a fancy saber. Japanese figured out that folding steel was a good thing but the rest of Europe didn't bother with this. Other than that all swords have their trade offs. I would rather use a long sword done with modern folded steel in a duel because it's more practical than using a fancy saber that was meant for maiming unarmed targets. Even those swords aren't good against horses where a good two-handed sword i.e. the flamberge would have been ideal. Then those swords are more meant for thrusting than slashing and you end up with trade offs. Naming a sword that is "better" than a japanese sword is silly. No weapon is "best" even when it comes to modern guns as each one has it's ideal situation for use.

>One of the key advantages the spear holds over the sword is distance. Now, I don’t say “range” here, because obviously a weapon can have immense advantage at longer ranges, but be found to be lacking in close quarters. The spear, on the other hand, can be retracted to any length, allowing it to perform effectively well outside and even well inside the reach of a sword. This means that throughout a fight, the spear wielder would have complete control of distance, as they can keep the sword wielder at bay, with far reaching thrusts and cuts, while simultaneously being able to pull the length back should the sword wielder manage to close in.

>Unlike a sword, a spear can change the direction of an attack incredibly quickly, oscillating between the feet and the head with barely any motion. This is because of the length of the spear. Much like a lever, a small amount of motion in the back translates to enormous motion on the front, so a small movement of the arms can extraordinarily quickly bring the weapon to bear on a new target. The result is that parrying a spear thrust or cut, even if you have a shield or buckler, is incredibly difficult. while a swordsman’s arm needs to make an enormous motion going from the head to the feet, it takes little effort on the spearman’s part to make the same transition. The result is that if a swordsman is deceived by a feint for even the tiniest fraction of a second, the spear can already be thrusting into a completely different part of their body. Even if they do manage to catch this, the spearman’s disengage can be made so quickly that any opening the sword wielder leaves will be taken advantage of.

>Contrary to popular belief, the spear is an excellent weapon for parrying. It is speedier than the sword, but it also holds another key advantage - that of leverage. Because of the length of the weapon, and the wide placement of the wielder’s two hands, a spear is incredibly hard to displace. Not only can it easily disengage from a swordsman’s cut or attempt to displace the head, but even at direct contact, a spearman would have little difficult shoving aside a sword blade before lunging in for the kill.

>Now, many might think that the solution to this is to cut off the spear’s head, but this is not at simple or easy as it might seem. The blow itself would be difficult to land on the ever moving spear, but even beyond that, it would take significant force, meaning that the blade itself would need to be heavy (and therefore harder to land a blow with) and the perfect angle to prevent it from simply bouncing away. This is a likely occurrence, especially when one considers that the spear is suspended in the air, not supported firmly from underneath. In addition to that, as shown in the picture below, many spears or other polearms had metal langets running down the sides (or were made entirely out of metal), resulting in almost zero chance of the swordsman effectively carrying out a decapitation

>Throughout medieval history, the polearm has been the weapon of choice, not only of the foot soldier, but of the military nobles such as the Samurai or Knight. In Japan, the Naginata or Yari was used as a primary weapon in battle over the Katana, and in Europe, Knights would usually carry lances, or other weapons such as the bardiche, only using the sword out of necessity. The sword was known as a “sidearm,” as it was an easily carried weapon in civilian life, and a great backup on the battlefield. However, few soldiers ever charged into battle with only their swords in hand.

>le obsidian blade so sharp lel xd

Macuahuitl looks stupid.

it's a sword breaker. It's basically a replacement for a buckler.

katana is not a sword.

>usually has a nice mid combination of speed, reach, and damage
>makes people buttmad as fuck
It is fucking great

Reminder

youtube.com/watch?v=BVCaJdYZmCU

now watch as they damage control

BTFO

this shit good bro

Tricorns

I am literally in shock that it took this long for someone who actually knew what they were talking about to post in the thread. All the wank about the katana didn't start (even in Japan!) until a hundred years after anyone fought in a war.

The earliest samurai duels were fought on horseback and the "soul of the warrior" was his bow; an era of complete central breakdown and the samurai actually having to fight in wars demolished this mode of just riding around each other firing arrows and brought about an age of mass pike and shot formations (the shot coming after the importation of muskets in the 1400s). Swords only started being wanked over once the wars were done with and a strong central government restricted all weapons to the upper class, ESPECIALLY the actually-useful ones like spears and guns; those were known weapons of war. So what you carried around was a semi-useless sidearm that wasn't too threatening. Eventually (the late 1600s-early 1700s) the dumbass grandchildren who know literally nothing about fighting wars only know that their status is based around having a sword, so they start up kendo clubs and wank endlessly about the SOUL OF THE SAMURAI.

TLDR anyone who identifies samurai with samurai who actually engaged in warfare is goddamned retarded.

Are you literally retarded. Damascus steel is some fucking ridiculous shit. There's a reason they only recently figured out how to make it.

>b-b-b-but muh folded nippon steel

It would be "Das Kriegsmesser" Bauer

>machine-cut sword
everytime

>damascus
Just because it's pattern welded doesn't mean it's actual, middle-eastern damascus.

>machine-cut sword

That's a new one

Dont you dare talk shit, they are N-No.1!

S-shut up!

Who is more retarded: the weeb that thought a piece of steel that was constructed to be as sharp as possible would mystically cut through a blade that weighs five times as much and was constructed to not bend when repeatedly bludgeoned against plates of other steel... or the retards that post the obvious result thinking it means anything more than that rock beats scissors.

Fucking wrong. The mace is inferior at dealing damage to an unarmored or lightly armored opponent. It's balanced incredibly far towards the head meaning it's harder to redirect a strike or recover one, it's shorter, it has zero hand protection and since most maces had hollow shafts you'd be very likely to bend your mace if you struck improperly.

The only thing it's good for is damaging a heavily armored opponent.

you look stupid

You can't actually fucking believe this. You can't actually think the single most efficient melee weapon, except maybe in very tight spaces, can be beaten by a fucking sword. Read a book before running your fucking mouth you stupid weaboo.

youtube.com/watch?v=zWsSJCTFZlw

>Mfw getting this and the blade of the west for the first time
>Mfw strength build
>Mfw getting that perk that lets you knock people down
>Mfw becoming wasteland guts

What's especially hilarious is that, in Japanese history, the vast majority of actual warfare was conducted either with mass horse archery or with pikes.

As far as duels go, Benkei lost this one so draw your own conclusions.

The mace isn't even the best weapon in its own class, beaten by hammer-type weapons easily.

would be cool if it weren't for that tip. the rounded tip just lames it up for me

Get that shit out of here, Jian filth.

>in Japanese history, the vast majority of actual warfare was conducted either with mass horse archery or with pikes
Makes you wonder why they romanticize their faggot swords so much.

Read the thread.

>Messers are German falchions

No, they're really not. The blade and hilt design are both different.

This nigga gets it

Exactly the same reason that Europeans romanticize the knights' sword when their actual use in battle was to couch lances and charge. There's 200 years of history in between the great feudal wars and the end of the relevancy of the landed aristocracy in both areas; so you have generations of people who need a physical reminder of their warrior status (despite never having fought in a war). Swords are an excellent choice, as they are much easier to bring into a banquet than a horse and lance (or horse and bow, or pike) and they are more useful when you're arguing over a woman or killing a merchant in a back alley because he wants you to pay back the money you owe him.

Especially in Japan, late 1700s Samurai were glorified bureaucrats whose only claim to being better than the "commoner" merchants who'd figured out a monetary economy was that they could legally carry around a sword. Of COURSE they're going to go bonkers about the sword, and how it makes them mystical warriors who defend Japan etc etc. These are the most recent "samurai," and so a lot of cultural ideas about "samurai" therefore flow directly from them.

>straight edge swords more edgy than claws

Its around the same time the concept of 'Bushido' was developed. The Shogun basically neutered the Samurai class in order to insure they don't get uppity. Basically family members have to become hostages, and a lot of weapons are banned for them for civilian life. So they are pretty much only allowed to carry sidearms like the Katana.

The Samurai felt they were obsolete with their greatly diminished power in force. So Bushido was developed to showcase the purpose of their existence now. and since the Katana was the only weapon they could have most of the time, a lot of efforts went into developing its style and philosophy.

kriegmesser.
Better in every single way

>why they romanticize their faggot swords so much.
England built itself on a myth of a sword set in stone.
It's exactly like us: it's way more expensive, so way more rare, only pro had the means to get one, it became a symbol of power

because it looks cooler.

>its a precursor javelin episode

Fez

>comparing a knife to a sword

Late but that's okay, I needed an excuse to post this.

>two handed
>knife

Sure m8

Messer literally means knife

Kriegmesser means war knife

>have to use a mod to get the pc to not hold it backwards
fuck yeah big ass chinese swords

Doesn't even know how languages work.

not only that, but katana literally means sword in japanese, and can actually be used to label any single edged, curved swords. even scimitars.

thus is tried to make a really shitty joke, with something literally called a knife being compared to something literally called a sword

That is how German works. It's a language of compound words. Do you actually speak German? If so could you give me a translation of what Kriegmesser means in English?

thank you for this

b/c that Japanese needed swords to kill fags
Germans only need godamn knives

such bait

Their swords weren't very good, even. Really sharp, sure, but apply so much as a little pressure on the katana and it snaps like a twig.

if they were alive today
>using Cred Forums
>all u plebs dress like faggots

Africa pls go

You must be retarded if you think hundreds of thousands of people would willingly go into battle with a weapon that would snap like a twig under a little pressure. This is a thing that would mean life or death and you're really going to tell me that a weapon design lasting hundreds of years would really be that shitty?

we need more fuckhuge swords

It's cliche', but still my favorite

it's an exaggeration. pre-industrial Japanese steel sucked worse than anything, literally fucking anything. Vietnamese and Nepalese weapons had better steel than historical Japan

why doesn't he try with an actual katana instead? This is clearly not Kobuse.

>the fucking paddle version
gross

see

They didn't use katanas as a primary, doofus.
Mainly spears and bow/arrows were used as their main weapon.
Katanas were treated as a sidearm that was used only under extreme circumstances.

honestly the best shit came from India. fucking talwars cut horses and men in half
>trumps anything in the ancient world

War-Knife would be the correct translation

European Broadsword, stronger, more durable, and lighter.
Made of forged steel, not only was the steel better quality, so was the technique of forging.
Folding is/was a meme.

still a meme
but a dying meme

looks like this

yeah, folding gets around having really shitty ore. Japan's natural iron wealth is ass compared to just about anywhere else on the planet

wow, please excuse me for my totally incorrect translation of war knife. that's clearly completely different from war-knife.

When I said people went to battle with it did you really take that to mean that was the only thing they fought with all the time? Are you really that retarded?

Both of those are too thick/stiff to work in the first place.
Blades need to have give in order to not shatter and cut properly.

>Fume Ultra Greatsword
Stabbing and slashing? Nah m8, just fucking smash your enemy's face with a slab of stone bigger than you.

the magic of crucible steel
that shit was hard to make and smith, but it's quality is comparable to medium quality modern steel

sounded like it
try to make sense next time

Nah sorry, just wanted to confirm that as a native German

Should've been more clear

best swords are from Southern India. people from other areas of the world thought they were magic.

>I know the hardness/flexibility just by looking at a picture
For all you know it's got a softer core with tempered edges.

Try to not be so retarded next time. Nowhere in my post did I even imply what you said.

>wootz! wootz! wootz!
can literally see some far east trading vikings chanting about some seemingly mythical shit

HF Blade

Get off the orbalnet, Rean

your welcome

lol fucking plebs

what the fuck is going on with that hilt?

Then the center would give and the edge would shatter.
There's a reason it's in a video game and not in real life.
Watch this video, the guy literally takes and bends the sword at 2:20 or so because it has to be flexible to cut and not shatter.
youtube.com/watch?v=p_I_fkRngNM

At least someone posted the real one.

Your post is against the rules.

>2016
>not owning a Zweihänder

It's a
>Cred Forums watches a few skallagrim/lindy beige videos and suddenly they're experts on historical fighting
episode

yes

/thread

As a martial artist I can rightly say that reach comes first, piercing comes second, and the rest is all arbitrary.

I would sooner use a straight sword, long sword, hell even a spear or a two handed sword than a katana. A katana is clunky in my opinion. It only has one edge, whereas straight swords and long swords have double edges. The hilts on long swords, claymores, and straight swords also have room to rest your index finger on the hilt for better control would you hold it in one hand.

A Katana has a clunky hilt, if it even has one to begin with. A katana's only purpose was meant to be used in one on one duels, and normally against other Katana fighters. In Feudal Japan, soldiers would use spears or bow and arrows, and maybe daggers. The Shogun would reserve katana for samurai, and even then Katanas were more often used to perform the sepuku ritual if ANYTHING.

How does it feel knowing the dark and edgy weapon you people worship has seen more action where the user turns it onto himself? That's pretty edgy I'll say.

>dark and edgy weapon you people worship
Literally NOBODY has been worshipping katanas for at least like 4 years now, but the meme still lingers.
The weeaboos of the present are vikingfags.

>"its never been tried with a real katana"

Its the green destiny!

oops wrong one

What am I looking at here?

Ja/ck/, the primadonna of the culinary world.

CHAINSAW KATANA

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL NIGHTMARE

Cred Forums has arrived

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!

hello

abortion cyst

not even exaggerating

teratoma
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teratoma

SANTA WHAT HAVE YOUR ELVES DONE

Literally any other sword in human existance.

Nah, the studies they did led them to conclude that the vikings got ingots of wootz all the way up there and used it for making blades.

nuke everything. This reality doesn't deserve to exist.

The design is much nicer than a longsword, obviously. But Japanese steel probably can't compete with a longsword, even if the katana has been folded "1 fousand times"

And maces superior at cutting things too?

I've been to that exhibit. Most of the bodies on display are from improvised Chinese people from the late 19th early 20th century. Some whacko German scientist paid for their bodies, though due the location and times i don't think some of the bodies are acquired through legitimate means.

Freaky shit.

Katana users don't have shields. They lose.

Too bad that when you do come across something that can stop your swing the weapon may well come apart in your hands.

Jesus Christ people actually think anime physics apply in real life

What the fuck man who points the lance at someone's face?

>ctrl+f
>no kilij

Duel wielding is bad irl.

Get rid of the blade and you get a none-chuck

Fell for yet another meme

Nothing like wielding steel while everyone else has iron weaponry

Fuck off with tour meme sword

this guy did pretty alright

Ayy lmao, this is the last place I expected to see the infamous pommel joke.

>all coolest looking weapons irl are less practical than lame ass spears and polearms
Fuck off realism fags

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8Nwh8yWh5WU#t=569
You'll notice that in the little slowmo bits it still flexes, and doesn't explode when they chop through that chair or when it bites through the hay into the ground. Just because it's large doesn't mean it can't flex, and not all swords need to be equally as flexible. Swords are much tougher then you give them credit.
Case in point, this poor bastard.
youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg

And while you're trying to harvest their legs like wheat you'll get a spear/sword through your throat because sickle is slow, unwieldy, and long.

Outta the way fuccboi.

>unbalanced because no pommel
>smaller handle than what it should probably have for a "sword" of the same dimensions
>no crossguard or hilt, opposing blades are guided directly to your hands
>ugly

good try though

When the distance is closed, spearman drop spears and switch to swords/kopis/anything short and bladed. Why did they do that? The answer is obvious, and you are gay.

Fire up the meme cannon.

Pedro de Valdivia escribía como el pico.

Ushanka

Fucking weebs

This is really the only right answer.

This folks would like to talk with your samurai friends

>Bring blade into battle
>You drop it because the vibration makes your hand totally numb

Sorry to ruin your fantasy.

Square Enix will probably hire this person in a year or two

>look at me, I'm a rough guy
Faggot.

Trick question, hats should only be worn for function, or at most for ceremony or part of a uniform.
People who wear them purely as fashion items in this day and age are fucking pillocks. Prove me otherwise.

>No shield
>Weak parrying
>Can only swing one at a time
>So why even have two

You are the meme, and gay.

That is a tool
What you're looking is a ChainSword
the small power blades are strong enough to cut down heavy armor like it was paper

>jugde

>that cute lil dance at the end

Gdi I want this in my life

I never said it was a good tactic, only it was the one they used.

see Not really. Obisdian is certainly a lot less durable then metal and even other stone, but it's not fucking paper. I've seen youtube videos where even shitty """"replicas"""" made by people who don't know what they are doing evenly chop a chicken in half and crack the table it's sitting on without the obisdian blades breaking, let alone the wood itself getting damaged.

The Zweihänder, Rapier, Glaudius, Dao Sabre, or my persoal favorite the Urumi. I mean, this thing is fucking goofy.
Fucking metal whip.
Honestly anything is viable if the user is skilled enough. Killing people with sharp metal objects isn't super hard.

WOOD
AND
LEATHER
FOLDED 10 GORILLION TIMES

it's made of curtain poles.

SnapBack, family

dark souls should have this as a weapon already.

we have cavalry charges with schimitars in both euro and american history, a sword that evolved.

the katana is pure romance

The obsidian doesn't break, the shock of the impact dislodges it from the wood and leaves the wielder with a shitty club.