Is Final Fantasy shit?

It seems Cred Forums is either lukewarm about it or outright hates it.

For example any time 4, 6, or 7 are listed in best games of all time lists, people always greentext them implying they don't belong there.

Cred Forums is contrarian as fuck, user.
If Cred Forums says a game is shit, it's probably good

A little over half of it is, a little under half of it isn't. SaGa is way better on average.

Yes.

/thread

Yes however I have XV on pre-order in hopes of it being decent

Reviewers said Saga was shit.

So which is it?

>SaGa is way better on average.
How do you feel about this? Explain why they are wrong.

Romancing SaGa's English release was met with a mild response from critics, who gave the game a mostly mixed reception. The game maintains a 63.1% average score from aggregate review website GameRankings, an average of 58 out of 100 from Metacritic. Among the more average English reviews, Game Informer reviewer panned the game's "outdated" and "abominable" graphics and shallow gameplay, calling it "barely even a game" and the "saddest Cinderella story of the year ... [I] haven't felt this sorry for a game in a long time."GamePro echoed their sentiment, calling the graphics only "moderately pretty" but praising the game's overall art style. The magazine would ultimately declare it "a convoluted and cumbersome RPG that can barely sustain the weight of its bloated and poorly developed story." IGN felt that the game would be enjoyable for fans of the series who were used to the games' open-ended direction and "countless hours of gameplay", but other players may lose interest due to lack of a unifying story or character development. GameSpot additionally felt that there was "no persistent story to keep you playing" coupled with "odd" character designs and a "convoluted" battle system that may alienate players who were not used to it. Despite problems with the title's gameplay and presentation, the website would find the game's music to be "excellent" and "the best part of Romancing SaGa." 1UP.com felt that the game would lack appeal to a casual role-playing gamer, but would "please those gamers who want a very long game" and favored exploration and freedom over a tightly-defined story.

Why should I give a single fuck about the opinion of retard reviewers who went in expecting a typical JRPG and acted like dumbasses because SaGa games are the exact opposite of a typical JRPG?

>because SaGa games are the exact opposite of a typical JRPG?
So you Cred Forums likes Saga to be contrarian?

Muh crystals

No?

>the only negative user review is someone talking about an entirely different game

While we're on the topic of SaGa, is Unlimited SaGa as shit as everyone says?

4 doesn't belong there for sure. It's mediocre from any point of view.

Final Fantasy has far more average to poor games than good. The series as a whole is mediocre, renakrable only in the sense that it has a huge, obnoxious fanbase.

Yes.

If the series is so mediocre why does it get glowing praise from everyone?

>vi that low
Shit taste.
>tactics ogre in top ten
Redacted.

VI has never been very popular in Japan because unlike its situation in the US, its competition wasn't made up solely of generic shitty JRPGs.

You just said Saga was better because it was unconventional and barely had a story, and now you're saying having VI lower than V is indicator of "shit taste". Which is it? Is Final Fantasy shit or not? And why? Why is Saga better? According to these complaints and others I read, Saga is barely a functioning game and is more or less a spinoff of Final Fantasy II.

It's just kind of middle. It's okay but too easy in general which makes players get away with not using strategy although it is there. Generally when someone points out "j"RPG cliches it's more often than not Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy has almost always all of the stupid shit associated with that.

-SaGa fanboy who is mad that it was FF that catched hype and not SaGa

How are they "cliche's" if Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were the ones that bore them?

>and others I read, Saga is barely a functioning game
Why the fuck are you reading the opinions of game reviewers that made no effort to understand the game whatsoever and rated it low because of that?

Because those terrible "reviewers" agree with him, so they must be absolutely right.

I'm just trying to figure out why there's so much overwhelming hatred and dismissal of Final Fantasy on Cred Forums.

So what if the series is "easy"? Why does Ocarina of Time get a pass then when that "best game of all time" flag gets passed around?

If challenge is what matters, why don't you prefer original Metroid or Zelda on NES over their successors?

I don't like 7. I find it very over-rated. Yes, I played it a long time ago. Enjoyed it then. Don't enjoy it now. Don't think it holds up, and I don't agree with judging a game by old standards. Very few single player games hold up, imo.

>For example any time 4, 6, or 7 are listed in best games of all time lists, people always greentext them implying they don't belong there.
yeah, because 5 is the best game.

Japan enjoys fucking mobage. The majority has shit taste and just likes grinding and watching games play themselves

Why?

Japan ranked 10, 7, 4, and 3 higher than V so you're wrong.

The job system was neat and all, but it was much ado about nothing. Game design was terrible, story was awful even by Final Fantasy standards which is remarkable when you think about it.

Final boss was a tree-thing. :?

>Game design was terrible
Are you retarded? FFV's design is miles ahead of any other game in the series but IV and IV has the benefit of being a mostly on-rails game with no customization.

Esper System>Job System

Get the fuck out of here with that retard shit.

>but IV and IV has the benefit of being a mostly on-rails game with no customization.
LOL did you even play FF6?

lots of bosses with a tons of viable strategies
experimentation with the job system is encouraged
difficulty curve manages to stay reasonable
great for challenge runs, see four job siesta
likable cast
doesn't take itself too seriously and manages to be both light-hearted and heartrending, like Dragon Quest games
cool monster designs especially in Galuf's world
awesome battle themes and fantastic ending sequence

The one thing I don't like is that it exacerbated a flaw of FF4, which is lengthy unskippable cutscenes.

I don't think too highly of their opinions. They also rated DQ4 higher which I don't agree with.

>Game design was terrible
explain

>people always greentext them implying they don't belong there.
People do this about literally anything

FF6 was fucking garbage from a game design standpoint and that is an objective fact.

Crystal Chronicles is the best game

It depends on how you grew up on video games.

My friend says he can't stand playing FF7 because of the graphics. I think it's because he grew up with a modded PS1 and PS2, so he got his pirated games very quickly in large amounts, so he's never really sat down and genuinely enjoyed one single game.

I on the other hand only had a NES during the PS1 era, but I did play the shit out of it. That's probably why people like me are more tolerant of graphics and mechanics that others would seem outdated.

Having said that, 6 is my favorite in the series.

I also forgot that it introduces some of the most fun jobs in the franchise like Chemist or Blue Mage.

I'm on the fence. I haven't whatched Kingsglaive or done any of the demos myself. I know I should but I'm lazy.

You should try to figure out why there's so much overwhelming irrational love and devotion for this series on other sites. I usually think Cred Forums is just a bunch of contrarians, but they are clearly right about this series, it's mostly the mediocrity that the mass likes. Some guys already pointed out the main reasons, and those reasons are evident.

>is "easy"

It's not easy, it's totally braindead easy, different concept and a huge flaw for a turn based game.

If a game "aged badly" it probably it wasn't that good to begin with.
For example, did you ever see anybody, on Cred Forums or otherwise, saying that Doom aged badly, or that it was "good for its time"? No, because Doom was, is and will always be an absolute blast to play.

I think the series is mediocre, but you are so wrong it made me laugh, thank you.

>It's not easy, it's totally braindead easy
So is Ocarina of Time compared to the original Zelda on NES. Why does Ocarina get a pass here? Why does Cred Forums prefer Super Metroid or Prime over original Metroid when original is objectively harder and more obtuse? The people ITT said SaGa is better for being nonlinear and obtuse so why doesn't Cred Forums like original Metroid best?

>No, because Doom was, is and will always be an absolute blast to play
Wolfenstein's better though

>It's not easy, it's totally braindead easy,
> it's mostly the mediocrity that the mass likes

Then why does Cred Forums love Chrono Trigger? That game is more babby-mode than FF7

CT is a lot less babby mode than FF7 or FF6 because it can actually kill you.

Bullshit.

Show me proof. You can avoid half the enemies in Chrono Trigger and not die.

You also didn't answer this question. If difficulty is the barometer for quality, then why is Super Metroid, Prime, and Ocarina hailed here with no detractors? Shouldn't the originals be held in highest regard since they are the most obtuse and difficult?

>this fucking guy.

user, maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't stop reading in the middle of a sentence.
Maybe that's the problem, if you and those "rewiers" would pay more attention you would understand what we are talking about.

Also, all the game you listed clearly have elements that can compensate the flaws / other not so good elements. FF is usually (not always) all round mediocre (and when some elements are above mediocrity rewiers and "fans" cum all over it).

Yeah, no.

What do you mean no?

Any part or enemy in the game that might be challenging throws hints and solutions at you flat-out, so you really can't lose unless you do it on purpose. Final fantasy is at least challenging in some areas.

Finished all FFs from 1 to LR:13 and liked them all.

The thing is, fanboys think like this: "my favourite FF is 6/7/9/10, so all others are complete shit" or "my favourite JRPG series is Tales of/BoF/DQ, so all other series are complete shit" or even "my favourite platforms are Nintendo, so everything not available on them is complete shit."

Of course some FFs are better and others are worse, but they all are still good.

>but they all are still good.
What is the best jrpg then?

The overwhelming majority ITT say it's SaGa Frontier

SaGa Frontier isn't even the best SaGa game.

>What do you mean no?

I meant it still isn't " more babby-mode than FF7" (and I acually think FFVII as a whole is one of the few FF games above mediocrity, I have nothing against it).

>fanboys think like this

No, actually even people who don't like the series think that only few games are good (and when they are good they are barely good).

Well what's the best jrpg then?

Go ahead and share your tastes with the class?

If Final Fantasy at its "highest" is only slightly above mediocre, then what is the best?

if your favorite Final Fantasy is

>IV
You are a bigger nostalgia faggots than VIfags and unlike VI, your game is genuinely shit with no notable good characters except Rydia

>V
You only play game for gameplay. No stories final destination. Would rather farm that extra stats instead of ending Exdeath

>VI
You have a heavy nostalgia goggles and great sense of jealousy that VII is overall the better and more popular one

>Tactics
You are an oldfag who thinks politics and religious plots are deep but in reality it's just a shitty cover up for the pathetic clusterfuck of a story that not even can be consider average if it's a fictional book. Also the gameplay is quite bad and uneven because you either suck or overly OP when you get Thundergod CID

>VII
You are casualfags who probably never played anything else besides VII or VIII or X and try to judge them

>VIII
You are huge emo faggot who thinks Squall is anything like you. You project yourself as Squall and Rinoa as your love interest throughout the game but then you realize you will never live in Balamb Garden so you end up hating yourself and the game

>IX
You have shit taste that prefer a fun and adventourous story but lack the ability to see how bad the other aspect of the game is especially the stupidly designed battle system, the horrible secondary playable characters and the inconsistent plot

>X
You are a weeaboo that share the same taste as japanese who likes drama over other things. Too stupid to realize the game is as linear as FFXIII and it's horrible implementation of the sphere grid

>XII
You thinks you are a fine gentleman and a scholar that like a great game. Too bad 20 hours later you realize there's nothing interesting ever happening and end up dropping the game

>XIII
You should just kill yourself

Yes.

Get better taste.

Easy. You can break FF6 and FF7 effortlessly and neither game is remotely close to challenging even if you avoid every single game breaker. Both FF6 and FF7 are games that can be LLGed without much effort, which speaks a lot more about them than avoiding half of the enemies in CT does about it.

only a complete idiot would say that final fantasy as a series is bad because the games are so different that VI and XIII have literally nothing in common, ditto with say, XII and IV or X and I

Post your top 10 JRPGs. I assure you I can asspull some bullshit about them not worse than you do.
Putting aside the fact it's probably a pasta.

It's called being a troll. I see that you are new here to Cred Forums

>6
I don't think anyone truly dislikes 6. It's really very balanced, if you like anything about the genre, it has it. A more bona fide video game than most rpg the west has released, ever.

Same with
>7.
The point is that the game is overrated, not that it's bad.

Here's a guide for you. 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10 are points of contention that are focused on some aspect and have significantly bad parts to make up.

>2
+ truly open-world
= experimental gameplay
- abusable with grinding

>3
+ Has the first serious story
= pretty balanced gameplay
- hard to get into, story only has payoffs later

>4
+ extremely story and character focused
= story is a bit silly when you aren't 12 anymore
- gameplay is overly simplistic

>5
+ Gameplay focused, arguably the most complicated combat in all FF, while everything was still obvious in application and character progression came naturally without particular grinding
- simplistic story compared to later games, mostly light-hearted

>8
+ art direction focused, easily the most memorable area/character design and soundtrack
= experimental gameplay
- bad writing after the first disc

>9
+ good if you liked 1-3
= experimental writing
- bad if you don't like 1-3

>X
+ huge and very complete
= writing is pretty out there, can be good thing or bad thing
- setting is way too fucking out there, many things about the game feel alien as a result

Squeenix games aside, you've got to be satisfied with at least ONE of those, right?

These people did.

>I don't think anyone truly dislikes 6
I do. Most of what I hate about modern FF was introduced or standardized in FF6. It's a massive, massive step down from FF4 and FF5 in quality.

What in particular?

Characters talking about fucking nothing all the fucking time? 6 doesn't really have that, I like it because it has about reasonable amount of lines for each character that drives the characterization point home but doesn't detract from gameplay.

Being linear? 6 is not linear, the entire second half of the game is sidequests.

Edgy villians? Kefka is a fucking joke. He's not edgy or anything, he's goofy and pathetic and doesn't even know it.

I really fail to see how crap like XIII is in any way similar to 6.

>What is the best jrpg then?
Dark Souls

>inb4 DS is not jrpg

>Dark Souls
>jrpg
>rpg

Primordial serpents, blighttown, unreliable triggers, control oddities, shit-tier weapon hit collisions, pendulums.

Shit game desu.

not even the best souls game

>What in particular?
Gameplay issues out the ass that the designers clearly did not care to fix, an obsession with 'innovation' that isn't even innovative most of the time and is usually done at the expense of having a good game(this is also why we got Unlimited SaGa), cutscene spam that makes FFV's look tame because of the story focus when I could not possibly give less of a fuck.