What was his ROMANTIC dream?

What was his ROMANTIC dream?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yO1c8fcvHJU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NU3E6_jMlH0
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gaia_(Final_Fantasy_VII)
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Adel
youtube.com/watch?v=suxQsTVL6sc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To become a white knight of a black sorceress.

to rail that matron pussy

That Laguna's movie.

How did I never notice how shitty the CGI modeling was back then

You'd probably be stroking yourself and telling everyone that this is the pinnacle of cgi if this was from ffvii.

It always went by really quickly I thought.

>seifer's idol is squall's dad, the president of esthar

kinda funny

>seifer's idol is squall's dad, the president of esthar
when and where did it ever say that? Laguna was a buffoon.

Seifer got his battle stance and sorceress knight dream from a movie where laguna was said knight and he had no idea how to wield a gunblade.

youtube.com/watch?v=yO1c8fcvHJU

seifer swings the sword in dollet the same way laguna does at the start of the video
their poses are also identical
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NU3E6_jMlH0

that's BS. Laguna clearly states that he was trained how to use a gunblade. And Seifer was also trained at an academy...I doubt he'd be sent out into battle with skills he only learned from watching a movie.

as it was mentioned previously, Laguna was a buffoon. Do you really think a machine gun wielding idiot would remember much from his trainning god knows how many years ago?

also Seifer just based his battle stance of Laguna, not the proper fight style itself.

Seifer may be a silly boy but he is not a total idiot.

>tfw 8 got a bad rap because all of the so-called game journalists were expecting a sequel to FF7
>they ignored all of the advances in music, aesthetics (check the fucking choreography in Edeas parade!) and CG in the game because it wasn't FF7-2
>to this day the meme persists that FF8 was a bad game

Fucking plebs, all of you

to stick his dick in Squall's boi pussy

To have passionate sex with a witch.

I just looked it up. I hate when they partition lore into supplement materials.

Why do they deny the Rinoa/Ultimecia interpretation when it fits so well and everything in the game implies it? All the way up to the ending.

You didn't even mention anything regarding gameplay or story. But hey, keep up that victim complex.

This. How can they explain the GFs name anyways?

because then people would stop talking about the game?

So does Seifer get that Fujin pussy in the end?

>preemptively going on the defensive before anyone even mentions another final fantasy

fucking ff8fags

stop being so insecure

>?
kys

>mfw I remember arguing with my friend about the cgi in ffviii and ffvii and trying to convince him that ffviii didn't have better cutscenes because technology has limits so they can only be equal

whatever, 15 years later I still have no issue with the graphics in both these games, I think each is perfect in its own way

anyone who asks for "hd" remakes of classic games should be lobotomized
high polygon count just sucks the atmosphere and character straight out of games

He probably gang bangs her with Raijin every night.

The game play is an improvement to 7 if you don't abuse the fuck out of the magic system. And even if you do, it's ATB, what kind of complexity do you want from a JRPG battle system?

As for the story, the only dumb but is the GF memory loss "we were all kids together!" bit. The world development is well done, the tech/magic fusion is interesting, the politics between the countries and gardens explores some good moral ideas.

FF8 isn't a fantastic game, but it's definitely not bottom of the barrel like everyone implies. It has a lot of redeeming qualities.

This is the same company that retconned established canon in the Jenova/Sephiroth debate so Seph could continue to be the main villain and sell more products.

BEST
GIRL

Nigga fucking explain to me exactly, in plain english, what is so horrible about FF8. If you wanna say a contrived plot, then 7 and 9 both have that in spades as well. The junction system? For fucks sake man gamefaqs was around at that time if you didn't understand it. You talk about 'gameplay'. FF8 had more gameplay in it's battle system then most other RPGS at the time - "TRIGGER! TRIGGER! TRIGGER" and the Street Fighter-esque inputs with Zell? Square were even nice enough to spice up the Summon system with the Boost ability! Yet everyone says 8 is one of the worst FFs, it just reeks of bullshit to me.

eww, I don't wanna kiss you fag, fuck off

>laguna has squall's card
>caroway has rinoa's
>cid has seifer's

so is cid seifer's dad?

This is Rinoa. The developers are lying.

What do you mean guys?

Squall was dead that whole part, I mean it's obvious.

So Seifer wanted to bang his own mother?

this "theory" takes the game's plot from a decent 6 to a strong 9

none of the characters are likable

And Mayor Dobe's wife is Irvine's mom? Also Zell's foster mom has his card.

Except they didn't. The game always said Sephiroth went crazy and invented his ludicrous idea of him being the chosen one after finding out his 'mother' was a freaky monster. Within the game everything you can find out says that Jenovah was a mindless monster acting purely on instinct and Sephiroth had gained control over it because he was connected and had an extremely strong will.

The idea that Sephiroth was a puppet and Jenovah was the main villain was literally a theory invented by hambeast fangirls that got their panties wet over him, and decided the few moment in Nibelheim where he's acting calm before he goes nuts with his God compex means he was a gud boy who din do nuffin. I mean, you literally fight Jenovah's true final form BEFORE you fight Sephiroth, and the final final boss is just him in a battle of wills with Cloud where Cloud finally overcomes him.

why are you replying to his bait

FF8 was a massive success why are you all so butt mad
Just because FF7 is slightly better you gotta be all defensive

>Mayor Dobe's wife is Irvine's mom?
now that's a weird one
I can understand ma dintch having zell's card because they're connected

but dobe's wife?

>Jenovah's true final form
most disappointing fight ever?
at least I struggled against safer sephiroth as a kid, jenova was a goddamn joke

>be teenager, early 00's
>read really good fujinxsquall fanfic
>but to set this up they made rinoa and seifer out to be a controlling bitch and loser cuck respectfully and run away together

I mean, say what you will about them but I liked all the characters and this felt like a lazy way to write them both out but that Fujin and Squall romance was top notch.

Quistis was bitchy; Zell and Rinoa were insufferably annoying, with a totally forced romantic plot for Squal. Squall was probably relatable to a lot of kids at the time, and he at least develops as a character. Selphie was actually pretty entertaining with how bloodthirsty she was. Irvine was just meh.
The entire game was meant to be character driven but the world and lore was infinitely more interesting, maybe because the kept a lot of it pretty open to imagination.

>bait
how is it bait?

how is he too stupid to realize that a lot of the character cards are not won from their parents?

Rinoa is cannon used goods. This post might attract attention, if Rinoa fans actually existed.

shut your whore mouth quistis is a wonderful human being

>he struggled against safer sephiroth

kek

>ruby weapon

I don't know if he actually ever killed me but I don't think I considered him a pushover fight as a kid, like I did with Jecht or Jenova.
I definitely remember losing to Griever at least a few times cause I was cheering when I killed him.
I also remember going HOW MANY ARE THERE during the artemisia transformations.
Also
>you know hear the extreme in your head and remember the words about time and childhood and get chills all over your body

the only characters that matter are the ones shown on the cover

>Jenovah was a mindless monster acting purely on instinct

Ifalna explicitly says Jenova took on the form of their dead loved ones and tried to communicate with them. That takes intelligence and guile, and implies it can speak and rationalize.

I would like Quistis better if they hadn't pulled the 'hurr it was just maternal feelings' shit. Her trying to be the super competent genius conflicting with still in reality being a teenage girl and having a crush and making emotional decisions was endearing.

Jenova is a Jew.

>edea is her own parents
>sorceress is self-born
>mind=blown
wowowwww

No FF character is likable, it's almost a running theme at this point.

Cecil was a heartless killer following orders
Barts was a wanderer that just went with whatever was put in front of him
Terra was psychologically broken by the empire and probably would have joined Kefka if it weren't for Celes, Sabin, Setzer in the WoR
Cloud had no will of his own for most the journey and did horrible things (heroes don't kill innocents like Cloud did when he blew up the first 2 mako reactors).

The FF8 cast are almost refreshing because at least they didn't CHOOSE to go fuck everyone's shit up.

;_;

She allegedly knew Squall very well, so why did she try to use him as her therapist? She should have expected Squall to react the way he did.

Laguna was pretty likable.

>Cecil was a heartless killer following orders
That turned over a new leaf after seeing what he was really doing. I'm not saying Cecil is great, but you are overlooking his major, MAJOR character development that affects the rest of the game. Hell, it even happens really early on.

Cid (FFVII) is a lovable character.

she's in the background, clearly only seifer, squall and rinoa matter

It's made super clear that it was effectively an animal, and the game repeated life three different times explicitly that the issue was that Sephiroth had gained control over it after being chucked down the reactor with the head and that Sephiroth himself was the one behind everything, even discounting the visual stuff that makes that obvious like him being the center everything is going to in Northern Crater and his soul/mind being the final fight of the game after having destroyed Jenova and then Sephiroth's monstrous forms.

Rinoas boobs aren't that big.

I really wish they hadn't done the romance aspect with Rinoa so centrally to the plot and let you do a affection system thing like in 7, except made it effect a few more scenes.

You sure, son?

>Jenovah was a mindless monster
Nope she was a being from another planet. For some reason she had to leave her home planet (probably got destroyed by an asteriod/meteor or something) to survive. With her most likely being the last of her kind she searched for a planet with life on it to start over again. She found Gaia after a long while of drifting through the universe. But she being an alien meant that she could not breed with humans, so the only way for her to have offspring is to inject her cells/dna into humans. That's why she manipulated the minds of Hollander and Hojo to create "her children" (the hybrids) Genesis, Angeal and of course Sephiroth. Sephiroth is Jenova's favorite child because he is the strongest and has all of Jenova's traits (silver long hair, one wing, super human strength etc.) So, she's not some evil brainless monster, but merely an organism that would do anything to keep her species somehow alive. Also she really does seem to have some kind of motherly love for "her children" (Sephiroth especially) as stated by Kadaj in FFVII AC. I also think that Jenova was the goddess of her home planet, just like Minerva is for the planet that FF7 takes place. Jenova - Minerva they both have the "va" at the end of their names so there has to be connection somehow. Zack even says in Crisis Core that he thought the Jenova cells were the "gift of the goddess".

He had Jenova's head with him, which is what all the Jenova cells were reuniting with. Jenova clearly had a will of its own, like right after Sephiroth stabbed Aerith and switched forms Jenova spoke to Cloud directly, who also had some Jenova DNA. Also Sephiroth ends up carrying on Jenova's aim to infest new worlds, so it's like they he just ends up being assimilated with Jenova completely, afterall he was spliced with Jenova cells while he was still a fetus.

>no cleavage
>mosquito bites

Yes.

>For some reason she had to leave her home planet (probably got destroyed by an asteriod/meteor or something) to survive.
I think Jenova is similar to Lavos and just feeds on planets. In AC Sephy talks about using the planet as his vessel to travel to new worlds like his mother.

>dude that is angry 24/7 because his dream was robbed of him
>seems to join the party just because he's bored and has regressed into nihilism
>ends up helping to save of the world

I was gonna try and argue that Cid isn't lovable, but I can't.

Ultimecia's outfit is clearly pushing her tits up.

>Genesis, Angeal

stopped reading here

>I think Jenova is similar to Lavos and just feeds on planets
Nope! If that was her plan then, she wouldn't had to manipulate Hojo and Hollander. She could've just devour the world of FF7 all by herself.
> In AC Sephy talks about using the planet as his vessel to travel to new worlds like his mother.
Yeah and why do you think Jenova had to leave her home planet in the first place? Most likely because it got destroyed and everyone of her species died and she was the only survivor.

Jenova was a virus and doesn't need to sexually reproduce. The Ancients probably defeated Jenova at some point in the past and Shinra excavated it and thought was an Ancient, experimented on it to see if it would help find the promised land but found that her cells gave people super strength and branched out to using them for the military. CC is fan fiction.

Yeah i know that Gackt's self insert and Angeal are stupid but you know Squarenix will make everything that happend in Crisis Core cannon so bear with it.

MOTHERFUCKING LEVEL SCALING.
The game is fantastic, my only beef with the game is the fucking level scaling, fucking hate it.

>she wouldn't had to manipulate Hojo and Hollander
what makes you think it was? Jenova cells have proved successful in making super soldiers. Jenova was paralyzed by the time they found it. And it's not like any of that shit in CC actually matters, since Jenova was meant to be a inversion of the Gnostic Sophia and they threw all that away with the spin offs.

I wish there were more modern games like FF8, stuff like Parasite Eve and The Bouncer. I'm tired of all this Ivalice shit.

>i was kid, modified ps1
>Look at ffviii in a magazine
>Too expensive (like 50 usd)
>No money so my mom ask that shady nerdy guy in the kids shop if he can burn it
>Wait 2weeks for him
>Finally its time
>Get up early, really excited to play it
>Go in the shop
> Hey user here s ur videogame
>Its 40
>W-what?
>They are 4 cds
>O-ok
>My mother pays anyway, thanks mom
>Enjoy the game, fap to shiva
>End cd 1
>Put cd 2
>It doesnt work
>Cry

Man, I can only imagine how bad that disc 1 cliffhanger is when you can't even play disc 2 at all.

Not that it's helpful at the start anyway.

>Jenova was a virus
No she is described as a 'parasite' in the game and that is only because she cannot have offspring with humans the "regular" way (sex) and therefore had to manipulate Hojo and Hollander to inject her cells into human children to at least create half human hybrids that carry her traits.
>doesn't need to sexually reproduce
Jenova IS female. She could probably sexually reproduce with a male of her species, but since there is no male of her species around and human males can't impregnate her (Eww why would you do that in the first place) she had to find a different way to have children.
>CC is fan fiction
Crisis Core is already cannon, just look at Dirge of Cerberus

>tfw no FF8 remake or sequel ever

To fight for a babe. He had pretty good taste too, Ultimecia is the ultimate babe and all.

>And it's not like any of that shit in CC actually matters
Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus are cannon and the FF7 reamke will most likely have some Crisis Core shit in it whether you like it or not.

You're making it up as you go along. Can't even spell canon properly. Get bent.

You don't even have the Crisis Core plot straight whether you like it or not.

When you're in red's village he tells you jenova feeds on planets and the ancients defeated her.

His romantic dream was that someday someone notices that QUISTIS ISN'T WEARING BOOTS.

>y-you can't criticize something successful guys

Why was 8 so melancholic compared to the rest of the series?

I wouldn't forgive someone just because they throw away their old helmet m8. The NPCs that continue to scorn Cecil were in the right.

I'd love to see criticism that was founded on analysis rather than pure emotion. Like, call the combat boring and redundant or something, that'd be fair and easy to argue. People just cry that the plot events didn't adhere to their aesthetical preferences.

I wish you could had the choice to stay with Quistis instead of Rinoah, I think Rinoah is annoying and it's practically shoven in your face.

And I liked Quistis because dresses and thigh high boots, what a shame.

>You're making it up as you go along
The evidence is in the games, if you actually paid attention to the story you would know.
>Can't even spell canon properly
Englisch is not my native language
>Get bent.
You first

She's not wearing boots, my man. She has pants under that skirt.

>You don't even have the Crisis Core plot straight whether you like it or not.
Wow such mature counter arguments... All based on (made up) facts...

lies

That's why I said "what a shame"

>Just trying to he the best SEED I can be
>this asshole won't stop messing with me and even scarred my face permanently

Fuck that nigga

yfw Jenova = Saya

sure she is, she's wearing them under her jeans under her skirt

Is there anyway to get to Esthar in disc 2?

>WEaring jeans under a long skirt

What a pain it must be to go to the bathroom.

This is laughable. VIII has the second best cast in the series only behind XIII. No jokey characters like VII or IX or complete wastes like VI

deepest lore

Unless you can clip through geometry, I doubt it. And Disc 2 wouldn't contain any of the asset files for Esthar since storage economy was tight as fuck.

They put the entire FF7 game on one disc, why wasn't FF8 any bit the same?

The only thing that changed with the FF7 discs are the cinematics that play.

>Gaia

The FMVs take a shitload of space. Like you don't even know.

It's not supplement materials. In the beginning of the game you can check the computer and on it there's an alert from the library that Seifer needs to return a movie he borrowed. It's the same movie Laguna stars in. He's rented it several times.

I defend VIII on Cred Forums but I will never defend log-dependent storytelling. It's the worst kind of narrative technique you could put in a video game.

Because the truth is not always pretty, and what's pretty isn't always the truth. That's cold hard science, and the fact of the matter is that the R/U theory just isn't true.

And Laguna almost banged Rinoa's mom.

>Reading is hard!

>tfw have to settle for chicken wuss because Squall cucked you and Seifer is insane

Would you prefer if Seifer tells Squall "hey man I based my life on your dad's movie, pretty wacky huh?"
It's a nonessential thread to the plot concerning two secondary characters.

Yeah, I much prefer to be spoon fed every single detail.

It's changes from this which is why the Final Fantasy series is such a successful and well maintained franchise.

>Sorceresses powers and origin explained
>World has an origin story
>GF memory deletion foreshadowed extensively
>Laguna is Squall's dad
>Julia is Rinoa's mom

Why is FFVIII the king of deepest lore?

So is Rinoa really Ultimecia?

It's a video game. Pausing the game to read static infodumps is bad design.

>Reading is H A R D

>if they hadn't pulled the 'hurr it was just maternal feelings' shit
Why does everyone forget what she thinks to herself afterwards?
Out loud
>"Even after becoming an instructor, I couldn't stop thinking about Squall. I thought it was...love. I had to hide my feelings because I was an instructor, but I've come to realise it wasn't. It was my childhood feelings as a big sister that lingered... Oh well..."
Thoughts
>(A misunderstood love...? Actually, I had completely given up when Rinoa came into the picture.)

She legitimately loved Squall. Her thoughts reveal her true feelings, much like every other character in the game. She knew she had no chance against Rinoa, who could make Squall do what she wants when Quistis can't even talk to him. It's sad really.

That's what the planet which FF7 takes place on is called
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gaia_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

>implying quistis didn't settle with based alpha male pilot Nida

I like reading books in real life. I don't like poor video game mechanics.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Adel

This is a Japanese sorceress(female)

>Despite being known as Gaia in these materials, the Planet has only ever been referred to as star (Hoshi) in the Japanese releases and related material.

>bonus material that rewards exploration in an RPG with interesting plot development
>poor mechanics
What the fuck has happened to Cred Forums?

> R E A D I N G - I S - H A R D

There's a difference in log-dependent storytelling and optional lore if you search for it. The Seifer tidbit is optional lore. The GF memory issue is log-dependent storytelling.

It's at the very least plausible, but the idea of it makes the game so much better that it's hard to dismiss.

I'm beginning to doubt this is the OP. Fuck off troll

>so much better
FFVIII has a good story that would only be made worse by fanfiction-tier nonsense that has to ignore raw plot to work and doesn't follow VIII's themes.

That depends if you like edgy shit more than non edgy shit.

Personally I think it sorta stomps on the themes of finding your place in the world with people you love. It's merely preference.

How does it not keep with VIII's consistent lines of sorceresses, knights, and time/memory compression?

FF7 didn't impress me too much, even for it's time.
FF8 was beautiful.
The Spirits Within was gorgeous but a shitty movie

Welp, there is always that one tumblr millenial retard who thinks he knows everything better...

7 8 9 looked terrible. they have all aged horribly.

I don't understand why FFVIII gets so much hate honestly.

It has issues but almost every FF does. The only real major one I would say is how easy it is to break the game via junctioning, though almost every JRPG is easily as breakable through similar methods, with FFVIII just being one of the easiest to do it with. Grandia and FFT for example can be broken just as easily, and there's games like SOTN which I would argue are even easier to break, but you don't get nearly the same amount of people shitting on those.

There's also the orphanage twist, which isn't great. But it is foreshadowed to some degree while in my opinion FFVIII has some of the best set pieces and moments in the series, and a lot of likable characters. You don't see people shit on FF9 for disappearing/irrelevant characters and SUDDENLY NECRON either.

Seifer is also easily the best rival in the series, easily

Keep reading, kiddo. It's all Nomura retcon shit.

you're dead, Squall.

disagree completely, i think metroid prime for example did it really well

>I don't understand why FFVIII gets so much hate honestly.
Because a bunch of impressionable idiots watched Spoony's videos and parroted it for years.

>VIII has the second best cast in the series only behind XIII.

hilarious, but be more subtle next time

FF8 is honestly the only Final Fantasy that I think could benefit heavily from a proper remake (not HD rerelease) and not for reasons of graphics.

While people have nostalgia for FF7/X etc, 8 is the one that actually desperately needs some additional content to flesh out its extremely rushed 3rd and 4th disk and bring some closure to the great deal of foreshadowing that goes nowhere and completely dropped plotlines. What is in FF8 is generally good, but what's not there which should be damages the game a lot, an issue FF7 and 10 didn't have.

Reflect on your... Childhood...
Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions...
Time, it will not wait...
No matter how hard you hold on...it escapes you.
And...

To soil his rival's future gf and to fuck his mom

>SUDDENLY NECRON

the fuck am I reading
this is brought up as criticism every time IX is mentioned, along with the slow ATB and character designs

Shut up, all these kids are virgins.

>pausing the gameplay to have a "cinematic experience" every 20 steps is better

FFXIII was shit

Finally someone write about this, holy shit fuc sephirotto

Except for Rinoa

>extremely rushed 3rd and 4th disk

Disc 4 doesn't need new shit. It's literally just the final dungeon and the ending FMV and that's okay, they couldn't have fit the game on three discs. The one thing that genuinely bugs me about disc 3 is that there are almost no boss battles. Bosses in VIII are generally kinda underwhelming, their fixed level caps are way too low and there's a couple instances too many of regular galbadian military in place of original bosses.

>love FF8 as a kid
>get internet later
>everyone says how 7 is much better, emotional and beautiful
>finally play it
>mfw it's fucking playmobil

Most people seem to like either 7 or 8, there used to be quite a lot of arguments about it.

I played 7 when I was younger and didn't like it, then bought 8 and liked it

To this day I enjoy 7 as well though

I like both
I think the 3 ps1 ffs are pretty great

Wrong.

Most people love 7 and 9. 8 is disliked by many.

Ultimecia possesses Edea, setting the plot into motion
Rinoa absorbs both Edea and Adel's powers
The party battles Ultimecia and wins
Ultimecia goes back in time and gives up her powers to Edea, and dies
Squall never makes it back from time compression, Rinoa tries to save him but fails
Rinoa devotes her life trying to find a way to save him, eventually loses herself in the process and only subconsciously remembers what her real desire is, and becomes Ultimecia
This loop happens a massive amount of times, with the sorceress powers compounding from each transfer to Edea after her death
In the final loop, Rinoa succeeds in her attempt at the end of the game to save Squall, through possibly thousands of loops worth of sorceress powers within her
This Rinoa never becomes Ultimecia and the Bad Future is prevented

The only thing that has aged terribly is your taste in games, faggot.

My favorite Final Fantasy games are easily 7,8,9, X and Tactics. The 2D games are okay, I played 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 but only ended up beating 4 for some reason (I was young).

But, I've replayed the 3d ones ending with X multiple times, and enjoy them even more each time I play them.

Currently playing through FF8 again.

I am genuinely creeped by this so much my hair is standing.

The picture along with a plausibility of the theory. It's just too good to be true, because lets be honest here, even Squaresoft didn't write stories that good, with Kojima level of ruse cruise.

They even managed to completely shit on a perfect story of FFX with fanfic tier bonus story included in the HD remaster.

I have trouble remembering any boss battles that gave me trouble when I was a kid
there was the missile base boss, adel, ultima and omega, that's it
and I didn't know about the level scaling or card refinment back then

>apologized for the "gay gay sissy gay" thing in his FF8 review

>plebs, all of you
you're in a thread that has circle-jerked ff8 harder than any other i've seen in the past few years, who exactly are you talking to?

also i thought ff8 was great, too

XIII was so bad it made him reconsider his opinion on VIII

Fuck Squall and his Scoobie Doo cast.

Laguna prequel WHEN?

I'm not talking to anyone, but what I said is true. Gaming rags were bitching about FF8 because it didn't continue the story of FF7. Talk about ignorant, it's almost as if they were a bunch of hacks that had never played an FF before 7 yet presented themselves as experts on video games.

oh, for sure. i thought you meant people in this thread, though

What's up with the increased FF shilling?

Don't act like you're some big fans of the old games just because some new dog shit is about to come out.

This might be the most autistic post of the day

Everyone hated 9 so much it almost killed the series

Now if you could base that on the contents of the game. "Rinoa is a sorceress like Ultimecia" isn't good enough. There's nothing in particular that specifically connects the two, plot-wise. Their motivations don't align either. I mean, if you consider writing and storytelling in general it'd be pretty odd if you could have a time travelling witch meet and fight with against herself without it being referred to in any way. Ultimecia doesn't have unique battle dialogue for Rinoa and their meeting has zero consequence. They don't react to each other. Ultimecia straight up possesses Rinoa earlier but again there was nothing, no reaction whatsoever.

People only have the ending FMV to go by, but it's not literal, it's an abstract dream-like sequence from Squall's perspective.

Great shill technique.

Don't forgot to misdirect and make ad hominem attacks! Refer to page 4 of the manual for more information.

>>they ignored all of the advances in music, aesthetics (check the fucking choreography in Edeas parade!) and CG in the game because it wasn't FF7-2
>Look at all those graphix and cg videos
>uh the game? what game? what about the game?

Its a fucking bad game. The fact that you didnt even mention anything from the game other than graphics and music should tell you enough about the game.

Wow now this one is the most autistic post of the day, anonymous is on a roll

I thought it was damn good cgi but I think I was around 16-15 when it released. Honestly wish I would have finished the game but I heard it gets pretty shitty mid way through

Rinoa wanted to be reunited with Squall during the time loop, and Ultimecia wanted to compress time. By the time he becomes Ultimecia, she probably stopped caring about Squall.
What I didn't understand in the main plot is why Rinoa went into a coma, right when confronting Edea possessed by Ultimecia, and before Edea's power was transferred to Rinoa. I just don't remember much on that.

Something to do with her being possessed by the sorceress at the time, and a reaction possibly do her Odine pendant which triggers Zell and Edea to come up with the idea of Esthar being a place to seek treatment from this type of power.

Or something along those lines, could just be a forced plot point like Jecht getting washed up into Spira to start that cycle, like Rinoa has to go to space to free Adel to get the time compression started.

>man plays through FF8 completely wrong
>puts out review
>gets e-famous
>game continues to get shat on forever

Its a fucking solid game, god damn. Try playing some other jRPGS from the same era, FF8 is top tier.

Because it was amazing at the time.

Nah, that's recent. Back then the main people who hated FF8 were people who wanted FF7-2, and most people were in an FF8 or 7 camp

I assumed receiving Edea's power transferred Ultimecia to Rinoa's body, and I suppose Ultimecia forced Rinoa to 'shut down' to avoid being detected.

my niggers

They went a little too crazy on subtlety in VIII. It took me ten years to realize Seifer was basing his whole life around some movie his rival's dad made.

I'm referring to when they confront Edea at Galbadia Garden, right before the end of disc 2. Ultimecia went straight for Rinoa, who embraces Seifer and calls him her knight before she goes into her coma.
Edea's power doesn't get transferred to Rinoa til long after Squall carries her comatose body to Esthar.

of course there are, but he knew he'd get a huge response because it's an FF game
nobody would've cared if he shat on quest 64, or beyond the beyond

Fuck.

Are you sure you remember that right? Didn't estharian experts simply confirm that the transfer had already taken place?

This was 1999 cgi. Don't tell me you weren't impressed as a kid by these scenes.

He wasn't alive in 1999 and is just trying to fit in.

Oh I forgot about the whole GF thing, which makes people lose memories. Rinoa used GFs, and Ultimecia may have had Griever to. So she wouldn't remember what she was compression time for in the first place.
There's this quote after you finish her:
>Reflect on your... Childhood...
Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions...
Time, it will not wait...
No matter how hard you hold on...it escapes you.
And...

Edea still had her power as you're traveling with her.

This. DEEPEST LORE

>he plays jRPGS for the """"gameplay""""

Now people know that there will be a evil sorceress in the future called Ultimecia. Eventually, this information is lost and found, twisted, and so forth, and people start hunting down sorceresses. This keeps going on and on, like witchhunts. Eventualy, one sorceress snaps: "God damnit, I haven't done anything yet but still you claim I will kill millions of people! FINE! LET'S KILL THEN!"

And considering Rinoa is the only sorceress alive by the game's end, it's still basically her fault. Should have let her die in the time compressed castle.

DELET THIS

But it's just a theory...

LISTEN HERE YOU FUCKS.

A month ago I replayed FF8 ENTIRELY for 50 hours on the PC. Here's some hard facts your fucking 13 year-old mind couldn't comprehend or read into back in 1999:

>IRVINE DOESN'T FUCK UP SHOOTING EDEA AT THE PARADE BECAUSE HE'S A PUSSY. It's because he remembers who she is because he hasn't had experience with GFs.
>GARDEN KIDS ACT WEIRD BECAUSE THEY ARE LITERALLY TRAINED TO KILL. No wonder Squall is fucked up; he's literally made into a mercenary from like age 5.
>LAGUNA IS SQUALL'S DAD. But it's not just because he has his fucking card. It's because the weird orange things recognise him as Laguna in the D-District Prison. It's because they're the right ages. Squall refers to Ellone as 'Sis'... not just because they were orphans together, but it works on the other level if you consider Laguna was her foster father.
>MASTER NORG IS PROBABLY THE MOST SYMPATHETIC CHARACTER IN THE GAME. Maybe. This giant yellow jew gives up everything to help Cid build Garden, and then fears it'll all go to Hell when Edea declares war. Actually read the dialogue with him during the confrontation. You can understand his frustration.
>THE WRITING GOES TO SHIT AT DISC THREE. Squall is suddenly infatuated with Riona after Edea is defeated... enough to walk across to a forgotten continent with her on her back. It's a complete heel-face-turn that makes me angry.

May think of some more. Let me know if interested.

>tfw you realize squall dies at the end of disc 1

>Ultimecia may have had Griever to
Ultimecia creates Griever on the spot. She uses her witch powers to attack Squall with his own bad memories. It's pretty rad.

Those post-fight quotes don't confirm anything. Ultimecia is reflecting on her defeat: she tried to hold all of time with her powers (but failed, the time "escaped" her grasp as she helpfully informs you. She brings up childhood because, and I don't remember this well, she had been hunted by SEED her entire life. You made the mistake of assuming your theory was the only explanation for these things and never considering alternative interpretations, which is poor form because the theory is shaky to begin with. Hell, Ultimecia could've brought up the childhood thing to make Squall think of the orphanage, so she could make the time-jump there and tag Edea.

You know "sorceress" is a mistranslation of "witch", right?

There are more witches. Just not in public. Because we burned them all.

>This giant yellow jew
kek. I didn't notice that.

>>THE WRITING GOES TO SHIT AT DISC THREE. Squall is suddenly infatuated with Riona after Edea is defeated... enough to walk across to a forgotten continent with her on her back. It's a complete heel-face-turn that makes me angry.

user he liked her ever since he had his sperg sesh at the ballroom dance.

He then spends the game being a dick and super critical towards her because as we know he doesn't know how to deal with feelings like that and eventually relents

Anyone here think they'll do a FF8 compilation? With a bunch of CGI movies, spin offs, ova, ect.

>yfw Final Fantasty 8 Avent Orphans

>You made the mistake of assuming your theory was the only explanation for these things and never considering alternative interpretations
No I didn't. Your interpretation isn't any more solid, dickhead, so don't tell me what my thoughts are.

You should also consider that the story is fiction and time travel doesn't exist, time travel is a metaphor which means Ultimecia 'exists in the present' and her ghost-like nature is a narrative device.

More like she makes a mockery out of his entire way of life.

>Hey guys let's be SEEDs!

Squall's been in training since he was a kid and has probably killed a dozen men to get where he is, and this pampered little princess starts playing war with her daddy's allowance. That's got to feel bad.

In the absence of any evidence for support of my argument, I can accept that explanation.

when head canons begin to throw shit at each other.

What else was there about Norg? If both he and Cid wanted to take down Edea, what was the issue?

To be Squall's butt buddy

Literally me

Didn't Cid want to help everyone he could, but NORG knew they couldn't keep doing things for free if they wanted to stay afloat?

>Squall's been in training since he was a kid and has probably killed a dozen men to get where he is, and this pampered little princess starts playing war with her daddy's allowance. That's got to feel bad.

i never thought of that

NORG wasn't personally invested in defeating Edea, it was a business opportunity and when risks ballooned he wanted to pull out and save his assets.

If the Rinoa = Ultimecia theory turns out to be not true, I'd like them to make some media expanding on Ultimecia's life experiences before her rise to villainy because she has very, very little in terms of development compared to other FF villains after 3.

He just wanted to run a business and not have the place get torn down by a pissed off sorceress when shit went south.

>IRVINE DOESN'T FUCK UP SHOOTING EDEA AT THE PARADE BECAUSE HE'S A PUSSY. It's because he remembers who she is because he hasn't had experience with GFs.

It's also a play on archetypes, like the rest of the cast in FF8.

Squall is the alpha leader. He's an anti-social loner.

Irvine is the cool gunslinger. He freaks the fuck out when push comes to shove.

Quistis is the wise older mentor. She leads her entire squad into a trap over personal reasons.

Zell is the wild muscle-head. Probably has more brains than the rest of the party combined.

And finally Seifer, the evil rival. A complete goof who watches too many fucking movies.

>compared to other FF villains after 3

Squall fucked up the assassination and Edea wanted blood.

Oh shit, I guess that cancels out all the others.

(From the Wiki...)

>'NORG is furious Balamb Garden was involved in the plan and tries to calm the sorceress's wrath by handing over the SeeD involved in the assassination attempt to show the Garden's sincerity. Cid refuses and an all-out war breaks out between those who side with NORG, and those who side with the Headmaster.'

Basically explained in the Garden Civil War when NORG's faculty try to take over. I think they set out with similar ideals, but NORG wanted Balamb to play at war, rather than actually go against a Sorceress.

or this thing

It's also pretty obvious NORG sees the students as generic mercenaries while Cid sees them as kids. This is because Cid worked at an orphanage previously while NORG was just a mercantilism.

Doesn't Seifer believe himself to be the hero?

Its also a play on the typical hero role in shonen, the hotblooded passionate guy is the Villian, while the anti-social professional is the hero.

>GARDEN KIDS ACT WEIRD BECAUSE THEY ARE LITERALLY TRAINED TO KILL. No wonder Squall is fucked up; he's literally made into a mercenary from like age 5.
The Garden is very modern and full of several leisurely areas and activities for hardcore military training facility. They even get to dress casually on off time. Nearby there's a peaceful and idyllic little town.
Despite NORG's funding, they're clearly a private academy and charge parents a premium to accept students, and only the best end up being accepted, even fewer get promoted to SeeDs, so it possibly doubles up as a university for academics as well for students who don't get into the military branches, all to be able to continue funding the garden. I think them training people into killing machines is pretty over the top, especially since they get most of their power from GFs.

Looked pretty fuckin' good coming off FF7's CGI.

I would agree about Seifer, but I mean... he somehow manages to fish up the Lunatic Pandora out of the ocean and sets off the Lunar Cry. I think he's competent, but reckless.

Did these things fuck up the Ivalice lore as much as feels like they did? Or were high powered demigods a possibility before FF12?

I get that they didn't want to waste too much time on showing Squall travelling, but man, the bridge is huge. Did he really think crossing it with by walking was a good idea?

Why are FF8 threads so fucking good

Because it was so bad we don't even know what the fuck happened.

I see your point. The main reason for making the mercenary comment is their performance at Dollet; lots of people die, but it's treated like a cute little exam. Selphie is literally in the middle of a warzone but she's all 'oh whoops! Here's a message tee-hee!'.

i honestly believe that playing FF8 as my first FF with like 12 or something and seeing rinoa, made me look after girls that look like her

He grows into a giant whenever he needs to cross long distances.

this is the power of pc

Proof that god exists

nothing wrong with making the occuria villains, it's just that they're never explained (except maybe hinted at in some log) so they're worthless
vayne could've been the only antagonist and nothing would've been lost
or make the espers the villains like in FFT

but XII is an unfinished mess, so we can only dream of what could've been

Youre a fucking retard if you dont think the Venat + Vayne + Cid vs The Occuria vs Ashe & the Meme Squad was a fucking brilliant plot.

You are a child.

There are things man was not meant to see

didn't mean to quote the second post

>FF VII, VIII and IX
>Hand-drawn backgrounds separating each room as its own entity
>FF XII
>50 miles of copy-pasted desert/sewer/airship/ruins

I do believe I was traumatized by that game

True SeeD material.

lol, I never thought of it that way.

It's not an issue of competence, but his mentality. The dude is literally doing it all because he watched a movie as a kid and became obsessed with being the hero of that story.

>hand-drawn
user...

fakespearean dialogue and fantasy politics do not a great story make, especially when it's unfinished
what a blunder compared to VS, FFT and TO (you know, GOOD matsuno games)

Strange how no other game ever managed to surpass VIII's attack animations.

youtube.com/watch?v=suxQsTVL6sc

hands down

i could see myself as squall, i was like him

And youre an idiot too for being too dense to understand the point of the Occuria's role.

Did you seriously not appreciate how Cid and Vayne discovered that the gods had been manipulating humanity since at least the time of Raithwall and guiding it to their own ends and decided to act to free their people?
Did you not appreciate how Venat, one of those gods, betrayed his bretheren out of respect for human agency and life, like Prometheus before him, and chose to fight against them, even sacrificing his own life to do so?
Did you not fucking understand the inner conflict Ashe faced by being temped with nethecite, the same power that had made her ancestor Raithwall the legendary Dynast-king who ruled the greatest empire the world had ever seen that ALSO would give her ultimate revenge on the empire that killed her father and lover?

Your memes do not impress me.

You say unfinished like its an argument.
Obviously there are problems with the game, but youre failing to make any case for that at all. Git ye gone.

One thing no one ever comments on is the side-quests... Timber Maniacs was OK because of the Selphie entries... but Obel Lake Secret??? That was some weird shit.

the alien shit, i never figured it out until i got internet and got to look up that shit

XII lacked personality
the only reason it doesn't get shat on more is because it's surrounded by X-2 and XIII, games that make it look decent in comparison

>kingdoms fighting over magical rocks
>gods angry at each other were behind it all along

That's like four awful tropes already.

(Try humming)

no I did not, because they have barely any screen time or development, much like your party members
your post makes them look far more interesting than they actually are

Ah! A weird shadow appears from the fucking lake and wants me to go find his monkey friend... of course!

Wait Ultimecia isn't Rinoa?

I've spent all these years thinking so.

What theory?

Seifer fucking his mom Edea is canon.

If I remember correctly it was that Rinoa was Ultimecia and the boss before her was actually Squal.
She was like afraid to die and also see him die so she wanted to basically compress time down into a single moment and be together with him for all eternity outside of time.

?????

FF8'd cgi isn't too bad honestly. A lot of games around that time have cgi that's almost unbearable to look at nowadays. There are plenty of scenes that hold up pretty well like the ballroom dance scene.

It's all bullshit, though, considering Ultimecia has her full memory - memories of being pursued by SeeD her whole life, that is. He sole motivation for world domination is to escape her own death at the hand of the "legendary SeeD", which Rinoa herself is part of. There's also the fact that Griver is unreleated to Ultimecia, as she Draws it from Squall. Griever can only exist in that state, as it's Squall's determination and strength personified. She also digs around in your mind and removes your spells prior to Drawing Griever.

It's 100% bullshit but still fun to think about.

Personally I think it's something they considered at the early stages of the game but ended up deciding against it; stuff that was already there was simply left there.

Well it would have been an interesting twist instead of generic villain is just a dickhole and they basically cliff note the 1st final fantasy with Garland but as a chick.
To see the ending as not that but as a tragic love story since love was a major theme of the game.
The other theory is just fucking mad in that after the SeeD agents get on the train they are dead and the game is basically knock off Jacobs ladder.

New FF set in Ivalice when

faps from the past

why would you want an ivalice game without matsuno's involvement though?
ivalice is square's property and he wants nothing to do with them

You forgot Selphie, who is the quirky happy go lucky carefree girl.

But really she has psychotic violent tendencies (Jokes about skinning a moomba, suggests blowing up the Galbadian president with a rocket launcher, is eager to smash and blow shit up at the missile base).

He didn't fuck Edea, though.

He fucked Ultimecia, in Edea's body.

this FFXIII is log-dependent storytelling. FFVIII tells it's main story through the game itself, and just has extra, unimportant bits that you can get if you delve into it. Seifer watching Laguna's movie is a completely non-essential detail.

I've played through the game several times and never even noticed it.

I like the 'Squall is dead' theory.
Both are good, though.

HOTDOGS

This was some of the pinnacle of cgi at the time faggot.

This kind of shit was what sold FF games so hard.

It's ok if you fuck your mom while she's possessed.

Or maybe Ultimicia is Rinoa and Squall's daughter.

Yes, this user speaks the good word.

People have to remember why Rinoa is Ultimecia. Why do you think ultimecia built the castle that they fight her in in the place that Rinoa and Squall promised to find eachother once again? Because Rinoa is ultimecia and that was her original motivation before she lost her memory.

Since when was Edea his Mom?

>couldn't rotate her in scan mode
not enough porn of her either

The final battle wouldn't make any sense if you didn't pick Rinoa in the end

Final Fantasy has always been about the good guys winning out in the end against all odds. Rinoa being Ultimecia being Rinoa being Ultimecia would have broken that notion. The only Final Fantasy which ends grimly is FFXIII-2, and it was a necessary causality in order for Lightning to bring justice to God.

Threadly reminder

wasn't it only unable to be rotated in certain versions?

Because you're projecting your 2016 standards into the 90s like the idiot that you are.

how did rinoa live long enough to become ultimecia if sorceresses have normal lifespans?
why did she have the weird accent?

>wish they hadn't done the romance aspect with Rinoa so centrally to the plot
Wow, look at that, your point was addressed in the post you're replying to. It's almost like all you had to do was actually read it.

>for Lightning to bring justice to God.
The fact that we live in a world where this is a real thing depresses the fuck out of me. Square really did kill Final Fantasy with the Lightning saga shit.

>never been sure if everyone has trigger attack
>not sure if it's just called trigger attack because it triggers more damage or b/c squall pulled the trigger
>Can always get Squalls
>Seem to fail at everyone elses
>One that does good crits and makes the louder sound
>Unsure if I'm just critting or accidentally doing good

Anyone else?

Only Squall has the option to turn on Auto Trigger, so I assumed he was the only one, but I still had to try with everyone else.

>pull the trigger to do more damage
>only Squall (and Seifer) have weapons with optional triggers
>Quistis specifically talks about it in reference to the gunblade

it would've been cool if everyone had the trigger, and square did something similar already in the super mario rpg
but only squall and seifer have the trigger

That's what everyone's limit breaks are for, to varying degrees.

Enjoy seeing it used in the remake.

Out of all the things you choose to bitch about? Killing "God" characters is a franchise staple of Final Fantasy. Lightning only seems absurd because she literally killed the God of the entire universe and collapsed reality as a result.

>This giant yellow jew

O shit. I literally missed all that. Man, I didn't pick up on all the nuances as a kid.

Sorceresses have long lifespans.

so you want it to become a harem visual novel
no ty